Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Thinnest Veil

jewel21
  • Start Topic

While looking for a distraction on Halloween, Conrad treats a group of witches who send the ER into chaos. Also, Devon treats a patient who thinks he is being haunted by ghosts. Meanwhile, on the way back from his vacation, Bell picks up a hitchhiker who is not what he seems to be.

Airdate: 10/19/2021

I liked the episode.  Not sure how I feel about the time jump.  On one hand, I don't think I could have handled a season of everyone  in such grief.  It made me want to reach into the tv and give the characters hugs.  On the other- it looks like they've messed a lot up in the jump forward.

The Hitchhiker storyline was cool.

• Love 4

I was surprised about the time jump but I like it.  

Why didn't Bell call the police about the hitchhiker?  If he had told them where he let the guy out of the car they probably could have tracked him down since he was on foot. 

• Love 4

I get why they did a time jump, but I tend to hate them. It always seems lazy, like they just decide to reset all the continuity and storylines they've been building and start over. Plus, this means no more cute baby Gigi.

I was definitely not expecting it though.

• Love 3

If they hadn't also done the skip over covid time jump I probably would be okay with this but this is one time jump too many. I have no clue where we are in time.

Bell not calling the cops so they could track down the serial killer was awful. Also, we finally got back to HODAD and now we're jumping past it. I was already on the fence about continuing after losing Mina and Nic but this makes it even harder to be enthusiastic.

• Love 5

I was very surprised by the time jump, but actually think it might be a good thing.  Shows sometime need to shake things up a bit.  As someone above said, a whole season of everyone acting morose over Nic's death was not my idea of entertainment. 

Bell's confession to the hitchhiker has to come back to bite him at some point, right? 

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Bell's confession to the hitchhiker has to come back to bite him at some point, right? 

I kept thinking the hitchhiker was going to be a family member of the guy he killed, out to get his confession for a lawsuit. Which is probably even more unrealistic than the guy being a serial killer.

With the time jump, I doubt that will come back up. I think it was just a way to be creepy on Halloween. But I do wonder if he'll ever tell Kit about that surgery, since she didn't seem to know about it.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I was very surprised by the time jump, but actually think it might be a good thing.  Shows sometime need to shake things up a bit.  As someone above said, a whole season of everyone acting morose over Nic's death was not my idea of entertainment. 

Exactly. Plus there are only so many storylines one can write with an infant involved.

• Love 3

Kinda hate the time jump. I had wondered if they might do something like this with the fast-tracking of Devon and Leela’s relationship (went from first kiss right to talking about moving in together, and skipped all the fun stuff in between). I didn’t want to watch Conrad grieving over Nic either, but now I will have to watch as the show finds him a new love interest this season. Conrad may have moved on, but I just watched Nic’s awful death like two episodes ago, and I’m not ready for him to start something new!

Welp, bye bye Mina! Don’t think her relationship with AJ survived that time jump. It’s not like they had much of a relationship anymore anyways, and I know it wasn’t feasible to keep AJ single while Mina wasn’t even on the show any longer, but it hurts to lose all hope there after just losing Nic.

The only good thing that might have come from the time jump is if they took the opportunity to write Nic’s “best friend” (who I don’t remember even existing before last season) off of the show. Don’t care for her at all and don’t expect I ever will. Sadly, she’s probably still around.

• Love 3

The best part of the episode was Bell's story which started out normally and then grew just creepy enough that I started to get seriously scared for him.

The haunted man was okay. It felt like the witches and the bookshop owner were only there to support Conrad's grieving.

I hate the 3 year time jump because the only real benefit of it is to give Conrad the go-ahead to get a new love interest. A 4 year old child requires more story attention than a 1 or 2 year old because they are more of an active person. Someone will have to take her to playdates, camp, soccer or T-ball after school. Unless the writers choose to focus on the child (as New Amsterdam did last season), the show can pretty much ignore a 2 year old. Not so with  a 4 year old who will have opinions on everything from sitters to what she's given for dinner to the woman daddy is dating. Keeping Gigi from taking over the show is going to be much more difficult now.

Meanwhile I was looking forward to seeing how Kit handles running the hospital and how Bell and Kit's relationship develops. With a 3 year jump, they're either married or split up. I also thought that there was potential to AJ mentoring Billie's son given how she feels about him. That's gone too.

One more thing that annoyed me: that the picture on the dresser was of Conrad and baby Gigi. It should have been of Nic and Gigi so that she will always see that her mother loves her. Conrad is right there; Nic is the one Gigi needs to be reminded of.

• Love 4

I was multitasking at the end so the time jump totally freaked me out and I had to rewind, lol!  Could be good.  We shall see.  I'm sure they will do the standard "Conrad's first relationship guilt" but if she's gone, that might have been the best way to handle it.  I really liked her character, but anxious to see where they take the show.

• Love 2

I have a feeling and I'm hoping it doesn't get fulfilled, that Billie's son will become an integral part of the hospital staff or hospital management. I just didn't like that character even though it was highlighted by The Raptor giving him advice and direction. It certainly would add huge amount of drama to upcoming episodes.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, preeya said:

I have a feeling and I'm hoping it doesn't get fulfilled, that Billie's son will become an integral part of the hospital staff or hospital management. I just didn't like that character even though it was highlighted by The Raptor giving him advice and direction. It certainly would add huge amount of drama to upcoming episodes.

I noticed that he wasn't in the opening credits, so I'm hoping he isn't a regular.   

I kept thinking it was a fakeout, that it would turn out that the hitchhiker was creepy but not the serial killer even though he had the same first name. But no, they just had to go there. It was good to see a reference back to HODAD, at least.

Can’t wait to find out what’s changed in 3 years. I hope they don’t break up Devon and Leela.

• Love 5
On 10/20/2021 at 7:29 AM, statsgirl said:

A 4 year old child requires more story attention than a 1 or 2 year old because they are more of an active person. Someone will have to take her to playdates, camp, soccer or T-ball after school. Unless the writers choose to focus on the child (as New Amsterdam did last season), the show can pretty much ignore a 2 year old. Not so with  a 4 year old who will have opinions on everything from sitters to what she's given for dinner to the woman daddy is dating. Keeping Gigi from taking over the show is going to be much more difficult now.

Oh I think its easy to keep a four year old not necessarily in every story. Its called a nanny. I'm genuinely surprised there wasn't one already on the scene. Conrad can afford it and if we're pretending he can't, then his multimillionaire father who he is on good terms with can afford it. I mean, it was never Conrad's career that would take the hit for the baby, Nik just didn't live long enough for THAT to be a storyline. Gigi can be as off screen as the writers want.

I kinda loved the storyline with Bell and the serial killer and I don't see it having any future impact. For starters I assume Bell's victim is now eight years dead, I don't think he named the victim to the serial killer and really  all he has to do is deny the conversation took place. If for some reason the serial killer did get the name... its still a death that was never a murder and that the hospital dealt with. 

• Love 3
On 10/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

Oh I think its easy to keep a four year old not necessarily in every story. Its called a nanny. I'm genuinely surprised there wasn't one already on the scene. Conrad can afford it and if we're pretending he can't, then his multimillionaire father who he is on good terms with can afford it. I mean, it was never Conrad's career that would take the hit for the baby, Nik just didn't live long enough for THAT to be a storyline. Gigi can be as off screen as the writers want.

I kinda loved the storyline with Bell and the serial killer and I don't see it having any future impact. For starters I assume Bell's victim is now eight years dead, I don't think he named the victim to the serial killer and really  all he has to do is deny the conversation took place. If for some reason the serial killer did get the name... its still a death that was never a murder and that the hospital dealt with. 

Something tells me it had an impact on his and Kit's relationship, as the promo shows that they are no longer together 3 years down the road. He probably came clean about it to Kit, which put her in a very tough position since she's a CEO and the subordinate she's dating admitted to killing a patient due to negligence. Though, really, I don't mind if Kit and Bell break up, because she would always be at risk of these situations where it's execute her duties as CEO or protect her lover. Something we constantly see on the Good Doctor with Lim when she's dating subordinates.

Edited by WinJet0819
3 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Something tells me it had an impact on his and Kit's relationship, as the promo shows that they are no longer together 3 years down the road.

Honestly I think there's a lot of reasons they might break up other than his confessing to accidently killing a patient by incompetance years before they began dating.  He's still kind of an asshole, after all ;)

• LOL 1
On 10/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, CarpeFelis said:

I kept thinking it was a fakeout, that it would turn out that the hitchhiker was creepy but not the serial killer even though he had the same first name. But no, they just had to go there. It was good to see a reference back to HODAD, at least.

Can’t wait to find out what’s changed in 3 years. I hope they don’t break up Devon and Leela.

I was pretty convinced that he wouldn't end up being the serial killer, but rather one of the victims. So...a ghost. But apparently, no. 🙂

• Love 2