Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Ms.Lulu

S03.E10: Sneaky Lady

Recommended Posts

Original Air Date: Oct 19, 2021

Moriah, Micah, and Olivia face performing on stage amidst family drama, and Ethan takes action; Max surprises Moriah with a special gift; Olivia offers Ethan an invitation; Lydia takes steps to advance her own relationship.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

From the number of comments in the last episode thread, lots more people are either watching and/or commenting.  Have watched from episode 1, glad to see more interest. It's a sh**show, but it's got some real emotional depth.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

We already know how this one plays out, right? Kim nails herself to her own cross, plays the martyr, and convinces some of her idiotic children (looking at you, Lydia) that she's an innocent victim. Moriah will probably forgive her to her face and hide her own feelings, because Kim still has her trained enough to know that if she dares decry the Holy Mother of Plathhood that she will never see her siblings.

  • Like 8
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

OMG,.......Lydia has to text on her mom's phone? OMG, Kim is such a control freak B**ch! This Mom??? What a horrible & damaging human being! She makes me so angry & (to those who question the relationship we have with our parents), I actually had the most loving relationships with my own mom & My MIL & FIL, before they received their Angel wings. I was so entirely close to them.  I still have my dad.....I love him so much! Kim is sooooooo puke worthy, disgusting, What a POS & at this point, her ugly (inside & out) mug makes me sick! So she showed up, despite being asked not to & caused all kinds of anxiety & chaos in all involved.  Then she sits there, like a fucking loser & thinks she did the right thing, but wait, "she hopes that Moriah will not be angry!" Hmmmm you ugly mom, why would you question that if YOU THINK you did the right thing? Of course you did what you wanted to & you included the other kids for your OWN protection, all about you, kim! Do your family a favour & Go away Kim....you suck as a human being & you cause nothing but deep harm. Go away Kim.........Eff YOU!

*Added* ~ Ethan & Olivia have such a good chance at working through their relationship & once they move,, learning about each other & growing together, go far, you two. Stay away Kim & Barry.  Hey Kim? Even Barry is questioning you now! Wow! what a POS she is! I shake my head....

 

Edited by MarCap
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

When Kim said she knew going to the concert was the right thing to do because she was supporting her daughter, I was really hoping Mariah would say, “Mom, I asked you not to come, and by not coming, you WOULD have been showing me respect and support. But by showing up against my wishes, you showed me that you don’t respect me. That’s not support.”

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

Kim infuriates me.  I wanted to smack her when she was talking about how she wished Olivia would come to them if she and Barry made her feel badly.  What the what?  No, you don't want Olivia to come talk to you.  You wouldn't even let your kids go to the end of your driveway to say goodbye to her last season!  And if you're so open to communication, why don't you, as the adult parent, initiate a conversation with your daughter-in-law?  Oh I know why...because you DON'T CARE!

And Kim's self-satisfied smug face when talking about going to Moriah's gig.  Ugh.  Lydia can GTFO as well with her "Just because we were hiding doesn't mean you have to come find us" or some such nonsense.  Eff ALL THE WAY OFF.  She is really Kim's minion isn't she?  I find myself not caring about Lydia and her 'special friend' one bit either.  

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Was anyone else furious with how they talked about Isaac standing up to Ethan? Lydia and Issac defend them because there’s is the only world they’ve ever known. They don’t really have anyone or anything to compare it to, so they have no reason to think their parents are wrong.

But seriously, why does Lydia buy into this crazy idea that not getting to know a person at all is better than getting to know then via texts?

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, scorp01 said:

Kim infuriates me.  I wanted to smack her when she was talking about how she wished Olivia would come to them if she and Barry made her feel badly. 

In the first season, she and Ethan did come to them and try to work things out. They told her she was wrong and that she had “blind spots.”

  • Like 15
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Was anyone else furious with how they talked about Isaac standing up to Ethan?

🙋🏼‍♀️(quoting for context) No Kim, Isaac wasn’t standing up to Ethan, he was kowtowing to you, which is just how you like it. 

Also Holier than Thou Lydia and her chalky pressed face powder can F right off.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Kim is a fucking lying piece of SHIT. A horrible parent. And just a piece of human garbage. Have I left out anything? Her smug ass ‘I’m going to every sincelg concert of Moriahs because I don’t want to miss any of her life’s high points. Fuck YOU Kim. Your own children move away from you because you’re a sick, twisted narcissist, and you move to their town just to try to control them?  And every time she tells the, ‘I Know what you all are up to, I have my spies everywhere...’, what normal, healthy loving parent says shit like that? Kim’s excuse was all about Kim, how surprising. 

As for the ‘concert’, uh Moriah, you might wanna consider college because singing just ain’t your thing baby girl. That was some pretty awful shite right there. No way would she make it to the first audition round in Idol, she was off key, the lyrics were drivel out of her journal, it was just bad all around. It’s fine to gig Once or twice a week, but get yourself into school because you’re not getting any Nashville recording deals.

It’s ‘interesting’ how Kim supports Moriah, her daughter that dresses like a cheap two but hooker, but she won’t support Olivia, her daughter in law who has a thriving career as a wedding photographer? What,The.Fuck. Also, Moriah, is just helping Kim’s a Momster by not standing up to her. She’s pissed but she will never stand up to Kim because she’s afraid of her. It’s really sad,

Olivia and Ethan’s chat by the fire felt like a huge step forward. And Olivia is right, moving an hour away way is still too close to to the Momster, they have to move far away to really get away from Kim. 

Oh, and Lydia, you can fuck the fuck off now. You little boot licker. Just because were hiding doesn’t mean you have to seek us out. How about not disrespect Moriahs feelings. And how rich was  Kimis saying if both sides didn’t out Moriah in the middle...this bitch really has a lot of damn nerve.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

I noticed that Kim drove to Moriah's gig with three of her kids and none of them including Kim were wearing seat belts.

TLC blurred the license plates on the cars as they all pulled up to the concert venue, Moriah's car has Florida plates, does she live in Florida?

Micha trying on Moriah's bikini top, walking around shirtless with Moriah's boyfriend there and I get a creepy vibe from all them, am I wrong for feeling uneasy about all of them?  Something is just off, right?

Kim dragging Lydia and her youngest kids in to the living room when Moriah wants to talk to them is odd, obviously this was going to be an adult conversation so what is up with that?

The kids can't have sugar? As a casual watcher I am just now hearing about that, maybe Kim is sneaking some sugary foods, none of the kids or Barry have a weight issue but Kim is a bit big.

Lydia is a puzzler to me, she was all in to her prayer closet and praying for her siblings that went over the fence and escaped to wearing jeans and wanting to escape herself, what change?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I noticed that Kim drove to Moriah's gig with three of her kids and none of them including Kim were wearing seat belts.

TLC blurred the license plates on the cars as they all pulled up to the concert venue, Moriah's car has Florida plates, does she live in Florida?

Micha trying on Moriah's bikini top, walking around shirtless with Moriah's boyfriend there and I get a creepy vibe from all them, am I wrong for feeling uneasy about all of them?  Something is just off, right?

Kim dragging Lydia and her youngest kids in to the living room when Moriah wants to talk to them is odd, obviously this was going to be an adult conversation so what is up with that?

The kids can't have sugar? As a casual watcher I am just now hearing about that, maybe Kim is sneaking some sugary foods, none of the kids or Barry have a weight issue but Kim is a bit big.

Lydia is a puzzler to me, she was all in to her prayer closet and praying for her siblings that went over the fence and escaped to wearing jeans and wanting to escape herself, what change?

You caught up very fast and your observations echo many of ours, @Baltimore Betty

In the earlier seasons, Kim and Barry were very clear that their kids couldn't have sugar (or at least very, very infrequently). 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I sighed when I saw there were only 5 minutes left as Moriah began to talk to her parents about the gig.  I knew then that Moriah wasn't going to call Kim out.  I guess I can't totally fault Moriah since she's still so young and not far enough removed from her parents' thumbs to realize how manipulative they are in their 'support'. 

And Kim cackling about how she can now go to every one of Moriah's future gigs now was disgusting, since she blatantly ignored Moriah's request not to come to the first one.  Kim really is that far up her own ass.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

OK, just getting to watch this morning. Here's my list of people who I can't stand.

1. Fuck You, Kim: Your daughter asked you to do something but you can't handle the idea of not being in total control. Listen, I'm sorry that you backed over your kid with a car. I'm sure that it fucks you up. However, that doesn't mean that you can literally take control away from the people around you to hold onto for yourself.

2. Fuck You, Lydia: Yep, this one is just as nuts as her mom. I had some hope for her once upon a time, but holy hell. Kim is balls deep in this kid's life but I think she likes it. "They didn't have to come and find us just because we were hiding." No....you and your Two-Tons-of-No-Fun mom should've kept your asses at home.

3. Fuck Your Musical Career, Moriah: Sorry, but she's fucking terrible. I'm a musician and have a pretty decent amount of experience as a recording/sound engineer. I'm not a vocalist, but I know what good vocals sound like, and that was terrible. If you wanna sing in your car, have at it. But there's no need to make other people suffer through it.

  • Like 12
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

OK, just getting to watch this morning. Here's my list of people who I can't stand.

1. Fuck You, Kim: Your daughter asked you to do something but you can't handle the idea of not being in total control. Listen, I'm sorry that you backed over your kid with a car. I'm sure that it fucks you up. However, that doesn't mean that you can literally take control away from the people around you to hold onto for yourself.

2. Fuck You, Lydia: Yep, this one is just as nuts as her mom. I had some hope for her once upon a time, but holy hell. Kim is balls deep in this kid's life but I think she likes it. "They didn't have to come and find us just because we were hiding." No....you and your Two-Tons-of-No-Fun mom should've kept your asses at home.

3. Fuck Your Musical Career, Moriah: Sorry, but she's fucking terrible. I'm a musician and have a pretty decent amount of experience as a recording/sound engineer. I'm not a vocalist, but I know what good vocals sound like, and that was terrible. If you wanna sing in your car, have at it. But there's no need to make other people suffer through it.

What in the world is Kim teaching her kids, is she telling them to disrespect someone's wishes, to sneak around and lie?  I thought they lived by very Christian values to live by, don't cheat, lie, etc...will Lydia have Closet Confession about her part in the deceit? 

All this hullabaloo for a not so good singer.

I thought it was funny when Kim looks earnestly in the camera and says she cannot miss this her daughters show because it is the start of her career, bwahahah! 

What if Moriah was starting a new job in an office, would Kim make a big deal about seeing her work on her first day, hiding behind the file cabinets watching Moriah work?

Kim should be kicking herself for her stance against higher education and the value in letting her kids explore the world and the options they could have without having to run away to do it. 

 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

OK, just getting to watch this morning. Here's my list of people who I can't stand.

1. Fuck You, Kim: Your daughter asked you to do something but you can't handle the idea of not being in total control. Listen, I'm sorry that you backed over your kid with a car. I'm sure that it fucks you up. However, that doesn't mean that you can literally take control away from the people around you to hold onto for yourself.

2. Fuck You, Lydia: Yep, this one is just as nuts as her mom. I had some hope for her once upon a time, but holy hell. Kim is balls deep in this kid's life but I think she likes it. "They didn't have to come and find us just because we were hiding." No....you and your Two-Tons-of-No-Fun mom should've kept your asses at home.

3. Fuck Your Musical Career, Moriah: Sorry, but she's fucking terrible. I'm a musician and have a pretty decent amount of experience as a recording/sound engineer. I'm not a vocalist, but I know what good vocals sound like, and that was terrible. If you wanna sing in your car, have at it. But there's no need to make other people suffer through it.

I agree with all of this except my take on Moriah is a little bit different. I agree that she's fucking terrible (like, really, really bad). They should have turned up the amp on Olivia's keyboards. BUT, the smile on her face when she was done was like a thousand suns. She had a chance to live out some of her dreams at least once and being up there appeared to make her so incredibly happy. She deserves to have some experiences that make her feel that way. Thankfully I don't have kids, but I have had to sit through my niece and nephew's school concerts and performing arts camp programs and they are brutal. Bru-tal. That's what Moriah's gig was like to me 😜 But man was she happy. I'm all for anything that gives a Plath kid joy and I'd also say autonomy, if Moriah can ever put her foot down with Kim. But yeah, maybe she should stick to open mic night for a while.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

26 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I agree with all of this except my take on Moriah is a little bit different. I agree that she's fucking terrible (like, really, really bad). They should have turned up the amp on Olivia's keyboards. BUT, the smile on her face when she was done was like a thousand suns. She had a chance to live out some of her dreams at least once and being up there appeared to make her so incredibly happy. She deserves to have some experiences that make her feel that way. Thankfully I don't have kids, but I have had to sit through my niece and nephew's school concerts and performing arts camp programs and they are brutal. Bru-tal. That's what Moriah's gig was like to me 😜 But man was she happy. I'm all for anything that gives a Plath kid joy and I'd also say autonomy, if Moriah can ever put her foot down with Kim. But yeah, maybe she should stick to open mic night for a while.

Yea, I get that. I do have kids, but my wife and I have chosen to be pretty honest with them, which is how my parents raised me. I've never been a great singer, but I'm a good musician. I've played with some relatively popular bands over the years as a fill-in or studio musician. My parents told me when I was a teenager that I should probably focus on music and not vocals. It wasn't mean, it was just honest. My son is really good at baseball, but God Almighty, he can't do anything on a basketball court. We let him do both when he was really young, but now that he's growing up a bit, I told him I think he'd be better served by just playing baseball.

I'm all for Moriah being happy, but there's no way that she can listen to a recording of that performance and think she did well. If so, she's truly tone-deaf.

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Ziggy said:

When Kim said she knew going to the concert was the right thing to do because she was supporting her daughter, I was really hoping Mariah would say, “Mom, I asked you not to come, and by not coming, you WOULD have been showing me respect and support. But by showing up against my wishes, you showed me that you don’t respect me. That’s not support.”

Moriah is clearly afraid of her mother and could never stand up to her like that.  That's why Kim feels free to excuse her own bad behavior by saying that Moriah wanted her at the concert and why she grilled Moriah about it after the fact.  This way, she can throw it in Ethan and Olivia's faces: 'Moriah wanted me to come, she told me so!'.  Kim does this all the time, confronts the child and makes them 'agree' with her opinion when it is very clear there are consequences for not agreeing with her.  Interesting, too, as Ethan pointed out; Kim refused to allow Moriah to perform secular music just a couple of years ago and now she wants to go to bars and watch her perform?  It is apparent Kim is playing the long game with Moriah, pretending to be fine with her choices in clothing and makeup and boyfriends and music in order to keep her in the fold so that she can continue to manipulate her.

So Lydia can only communicate with the guy she likes using her mother's phone.  And that is how Mommy Dearest knew how often Lydia was texting with him.  When Kim and Barry complain that Lydia cannot get to know this guy through texting alone and that she cannot have a relationship with a boy they don't 'know', it's pretty clear that what they really mean is they know Lydia cannot have an honest conversation with him with Momma policing the phone and they don't want her interested in a guy they cannot control.  I suspect Kim, especially. has decided there will be no more long distance courtships since Ethan married Olivia who turned out to be not nearly as docile and subservient as she likes.

What the he** was Kim talking about when the producer asked her about Olivia and the demons?  Kim pretends it is all just a big misunderstanding, of course she doesn't think Olivia is influenced by demons and then goes on to say exactly that, that it is a major part of their faith to claim demonic possession as a cause of behavior they don't like.  

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I suspect Kim, especially. has decided there will be no more long distance courtships since Ethan married Olivia who turned out to be not nearly as docile and subservient as she likes.

Was the Ethan-Olivia a long-distance courtship?  I thought the families knew each other because (at the time) they were attending the same church and all associated "family" events.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

I'm all for Moriah being happy, but there's no way that she can listen to a recording of that performance and think she did well. If so, she's truly tone-deaf.

<continuing the conversation> I think Kim's sudden undying support for Moriah and her singing "career" is probably playing into Moriah thinking she can actually make something of herself in the industry. It's another sick and twisted way Kim manipulates her children. As a kid who was constantly trying to gain my own parent's approval, I see it such that as Kim is suddenly all about supporting Moriah, that probably makes Moriah feel valued and is probably the reason she won't stand up to Kim's bullshit ways. It's so, so sad.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Kim should be kicking herself for her stance against higher education and the value in letting her kids explore the world and the options they could have without having to run away to do it. 

BLASPHEMY!!    The Order of the Eye of Kim is on you for the prescribed Number of Days.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

e. I'm a musician and have a pretty decent amount of experience as a recording/sound engineer. I'm not a vocalist, but I know what good vocals sound like, and that was terrible. If you wanna sing in your car, have at it. But there's no need to make other people suffer through it.

Yeah, Moriah really doesn't seem to be particularly talented, though, perhaps, if she had a chance at real lessons with a real vocal coach; she might improve enough to be able to teach or something similar.  I think it is just part of her isolated upbringing that she thinks she has a chance as a singer/songwriter.  Kim was her only music teacher and we know that Kim thinks she is the best music teacher ever; so, no wonder Moriah doesn't realize her own voice is lacking.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Was the Ethan-Olivia a long-distance courtship?  I thought the families knew each other because (at the time) they were attending the same church and all associated "family" events.

I thought Olivia's family lived out of state, but you could be right; I don't remember many details of their courtship.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I think it is just part of her isolated upbringing that she thinks she has a chance as a singer/songwriter. 

To piggyback on this.  The Plath family also "toured" as a successful family band.  Their audiences were probably people of their ilk--homeschooling to ward off outside influences--against "worldly things," and enjoying ANY live music that came to their church, auditorium, or public park.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

To piggyback on this.  The Plath family also "toured" as a successful family band.  Their audiences were probably people of their ilk--homeschooling to ward off outside influences--against "worldly things," and enjoying ANY live music that came to their church, auditorium, or public park.

I've never seen any of their performances, but I also suspect that Moriah was not a soloist with the family band; that they sang together as a group.  It's one thing for a half dozen people to sound good when singing together as a group, quite a different thing for each person to be able to carry a vocal performance solo.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I've never seen any of their performances, but I also suspect that Moriah was not a soloist with the family band; that they sang together as a group

When many of these (religious) family bands perform, there are usually numbers that will allow each of them to have solo parts--whether it's singing, playing an instrument, or some comic interlude.  Here's Moriah as a lead--a year before their show aired.  Hosannah is featured here too.

 

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

When many of these (religious) family bands perform, there are usually numbers that will allow each of them to have solo parts--whether it's singing, playing an instrument, or some comic interlude.  Here's Moriah as a lead--a year before their show aired.  Hosannah is featured here too.

 

Not exactly a cheerful bunch encouraging us to 'Keep on the Sunny Side' are they?  Well, Moriah's voice is better on this recording, probably due to some competent engineering/mike work.  She perhaps needs to stick to a recording studio where her voice can be enhanced.  It worked for Britney.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

It worked for Britney.

et al ....

4 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Not exactly a cheerful bunch encouraging us to 'Keep on the Sunny Side' are they?

P.S.  Their various performances and videos probably allowed Kim to determine WHICH star-child she would manage.  Moriah escaped before Kim got the contracts in order.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

36 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Yeah, Moriah really doesn't seem to be particularly talented, though, perhaps, if she had a chance at real lessons with a real vocal coach; she might improve enough to be able to teach or something similar.  I think it is just part of her isolated upbringing that she thinks she has a chance as a singer/songwriter.  Kim was her only music teacher and we know that Kim thinks she is the best music teacher ever; so, no wonder Moriah doesn't realize her own voice is lacking.

So, as a vocalist, I heard a LOT of nerves in her performance. Everyone is jumping on her and saying she’s awful, but we’ve heard her practicing before and her voice is lovely, she just needs to keep strengthening it. Something different and distinct happens to your singing voice when you become nervous, though. It gets tighter, the vibrato is a little shakier.. it’s something I’ve experienced enough that I could feel it when she started singing. That fades with time and experience. She just needs to keep singing! 

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't know which reaction to choose so I went with "surprise" because Kim's face and maroon lipstick looming at :38 made me go 😱

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

Kim was her only music teacher and we know that Kim thinks she is the best music teacher ever; so, no wonder Moriah doesn't realize her own voice is lacking.

Lest ye all forget, Kim is also a former prima ballerina and the best ballet teacher in the world!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I missed a lot of this episode because so much took place with Moriah’s treacly warbling in the background. Just couldn’t take it. It sounds like I didn’t miss anything important.

It’s fine to make music because you enjoy it even if you’re not great. I just hope she doesn’t expect the entire community to play along. Moriah, you are no Rory Gilmore and Cairo is not Stars Hollow. They aren’t going to prop up your mealy mouthed aspirations.

There are some famous examples of “bad” voices becoming beloved performers — Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Adam Duritz, Macy Gray, etc. — but I don’t think Moriah is charismatic enough to pull that off. Those I listed are/were captivating and self-possessed, and great lyricists, too. So… there’s also that. 😬

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, the music video just tripped me out. Hosanna looks so much like one of my exes that I did a legitimate doubletake 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Yeah, Moriah really doesn't seem to be particularly talented, though, perhaps, if she had a chance at real lessons with a real vocal coach; she might improve enough to be able to teach or something similar.  I think it is just part of her isolated upbringing that she thinks she has a chance as a singer/songwriter.  Kim was her only music teacher and we know that Kim thinks she is the best music teacher ever; so, no wonder Moriah doesn't realize her own voice is lacking.

A vocal coach could help in theory. I'm sure I'm being too critical because I've recorded stuff for people (usually late teens/early 20s) who have worked with vocal coaches and teachers so they really believe they can sing. There comes a point where Auto Tune technology can only do so much.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

A vocal coach could help in theory. I'm sure I'm being too critical because I've recorded stuff for people (usually late teens/early 20s) who have worked with vocal coaches and teachers so they really believe they can sing. There comes a point where Auto Tune technology can only do so much.

Uh...yeah...you're not being too critical. She's awful. Maybe as a musician she'd be okay, I don't know. But singer/songwriter? Hard No. And I like her, I just hate seeing her thinking she's going to go to Nashville and get a recording contract.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

A vocal coach could help in theory. I'm sure I'm being too critical because I've recorded stuff for people (usually late teens/early 20s) who have worked with vocal coaches and teachers so they really believe they can sing. There comes a point where Auto Tune technology can only do so much.

Oh, yeah, I think it is highly unlikely that Moriah will ever make a living as a singer.  If she's willing to work at other jobs and take singing gigs for fun, she could certainly do that. But, if she moves someplace like Nashville where there is unemployed talent on every corner, she wouldn't even be able to find singing gigs for fun.

 Since she loves music and is able to play at least one instrument, she could consider going to college and majoring in music education or music therapy and get a career in music that doesn't require a professional level voice.  A vocal coach could probably help her get to that point.  As it is, I don't think she's good enough to even sing back up.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Man, Barry and Kim are such assholes.

Kim: I know you asked me not to come, and I said I wouldn't, but...I wanted to. 

And what was with their outrage about Olivia daring to be offended by the things they said to her? No Kim, and Barry with the creepy, placid smile, someone's anger at you isn't always caused by evil spirits. Sometimes people get angry because you've insulted and demeaned them.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I thought Olivia's family lived out of state, but you could be right; I don't remember many details of their courtship.

Her family’s from Virginia. 

40 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Oh, yeah, I think it is highly unlikely that Moriah will ever make a living as a singer.  If she's willing to work at other jobs and take singing gigs for fun, she could certainly do that. But, if she moves someplace like Nashville where there is unemployed talent on every corner, she wouldn't even be able to find singing gigs for fun.

 Since she loves music and is able to play at least one instrument, she could consider going to college and majoring in music education or music therapy and get a career in music that doesn't require a professional level voice.  A vocal coach could probably help her get to that point.  As it is, I don't think she's good enough to even sing back up.

She’d be a great high school music teacher. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It may have been in the couples episode that Olivia talked about how she and Ethan communicated by letters. Both families were strict about how often they could write to each other. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

When many of these (religious) family bands perform, there are usually numbers that will allow each of them to have solo parts--whether it's singing, playing an instrument, or some comic interlude.  Here's Moriah as a lead--a year before their show aired.  Hosannah is featured here too.

 

p.s. THANKS FOR THE F***** EAR WORM!!!!  Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!

I kid, I kid 😄 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

This feels like exquisite shade. 😂

It wasn't intended to be, lol. I don't think she's a good singer at all, but she's a musician and I think she'd really relate to teenaged students with a lot of care and compassion.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Lydia is a real life Cinderella. She cleans her parents’ rental home(s) and is kept away from anyone who may show the slightest interest in her. Her parents don’t want her to get to know her “special friend” because she doesn’t rebel and she does a lot of work. She is the Plath version of Jana Duggar. 

I think Ethan and Olivia have a chance of making it if they get as far away as possible from Barry and Kim. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

This feels like exquisite shade. 😂

 

2 hours ago, readheaded said:

It wasn't intended to be, lol. I don't think she's a good singer at all, but she's a musician and I think she'd really relate to teenaged students with a lot of care and compassion.

I don't think saying that Moriah would be a great high school music teacher is an insult at all. This kid needs a job, a career. And being a paid musician isn't going to be it. And she has a nice, sunny disposition, she would be a great music teacher, but maybe for middle schoolers. BUT, did she graduate from HS? And will she go to college to get a teaching degree? These are the things her psycho parents denied her...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, camom said:

Lydia is a real life Cinderella. She cleans her parents’ rental home(s) and is kept away from anyone who may show the slightest interest in her. Her parents don’t want her to get to know her “special friend” because she doesn’t rebel and she does a lot of work. She is the Plath version of Jana Duggar.

Lydia is waaaaaay more manipulative than many give her credit for. She was the ONLY sibling who had the family computer password, so the only people in the house who could log anyone onto the computer was Kim and Lydia. She has learned from the best, Kim, and I don't trust her at ALL. To me, she's basically Kim's winged monkey henchwoman all wrapped up in scripture and martyrdom. Hopefully there is time for her to see Kim's evilness and make a run for the door like her older siblings.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, readheaded said:

It wasn't intended to be, lol. I don't think she's a good singer at all, but she's a musician and I think she'd really relate to teenaged students with a lot of care and compassion.

 

1 hour ago, gingerella said:

I don't think saying that Moriah would be a great high school music teacher is an insult at all. This kid needs a job, a career. And being a paid musician isn't going to be it. And she has a nice, sunny disposition, she would be a great music teacher, but maybe for middle schoolers. BUT, did she graduate from HS? And will she go to college to get a teaching degree? These are the things her psycho parents denied her...

It's okay, everybody! I was mostly kidding! I need to change my avatar to a warning: when Jocelyn says sassy things, she's not being that serious so no need to take it that way!

That said, I think Moriah has even told us on the show that she hates school and reading. Occasionally, those types turn into great teachers, but it's about as common as singers with voices like Bob Dylan's becoming superstars.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

That said, I think Moriah has even told us on the show that she hates school and reading. Occasionally, those types turn into great teachers, but it's about as common as singers with voices like Bob Dylan's becoming superstars.

I don’t remember her saying that but if she did that’s really unfortunate because making a living as a singer/songwriter isn’t going to happen. Hopefully Max and his parents can guide her back to real school.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, gingerella said:

 

I don't think saying that Moriah would be a great high school music teacher is an insult at all. This kid needs a job, a career. And being a paid musician isn't going to be it. And she has a nice, sunny disposition, she would be a great music teacher, but maybe for middle schoolers. BUT, did she graduate from HS? And will she go to college to get a teaching degree? These are the things her psycho parents denied her...

That’s all of what I was thinking. I think she’d really resonate with older kids. We have a beloved band teacher at our local high school and she leads the award-winning marching band. She welcomes any kid who wants to participate, even if they don’t play an instrument. She and those kids practice for hours a day in the summer and into the fall. I have nothing but mad respect for the people who dedicate their careers (and often, themselves) to educating and mentoring kids. I really do think that Moriah, with the right education and some maturation, could be one of those people. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size