Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Selective Virtues

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I'm the first to admit that I am not a great housekeeper, but Jenny's kitchen?  Yikes!

Not sure if I buy it . . . Jenny's living room was in good shape, how is it that her kitchen was a dump? She couldn't even clean months worth of filth from her kitchen sink? Especially since Sumit's mother was going to judge her big time. And did someone say she had bugs in that little cubby? Nonetheless, it was the highlight of the show. Jenny, trying to sweep the kitchen with a full audience watching; the mom saying something like "cleaning is learned as a child, and Jenny has passed that". How rich! And what was up with Sumit's new hair style? The comb-over look when he still has hair. A new one on me :).

Edited by Breedom
Fixing grammar.
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, FurBabyMama said:

but not for nothing, steven actually spoke pretty good russian. There were some complex words that I’m surprised he knew. Russian is my first language so I feel authorized to judge. 

Maybe you know the answer, I was wondering if many of the phrases he used were "stock" responses that he memorized as part of his missionary work in Russia. I noticed that the English translations appeared to be full of platitudes and religious mumbo-jumbo. Was his Russian as good when he wasn't pitching the Book of Mormon? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 10/16/2021 at 10:09 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

I have never wanted to slap the stupid grin off of Sumit’s face more than when he was giggling about how his mama cleans better than Jenny does. Mother Sumit can’t be that thorough of a housekeeper, or Sumit would have learned how to pick up a damn broom somewhere along the way!

Sumit was probably  thrilled about the idea of having a clean house.

In Indian culture, sons were probably not expected to do any cleaning - that was the woman's job.

Interesting that Jenny's friend, when asked to sympathize with Jenny, just said, "You are in India now."  In other words, suck it up.  This is how things are here.

That scene where Mother Sumit was sayings things like "You are useless" and Jenny was smiling and nodding, showing that she didn't know what Mother was sayings...how long has Jenny been in India?  Has she not learned any of the language?

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I am going to go hoarse yelling at these people to "just go home!"  Alina, Corey, Jenny, Ellie...just go home.  I think what we are seeing is the Sunk Cost Fallacy at work.

Can someone help me out?  Bini can't come to the US...why is that?  I think it's been mentioned but I can't remember.  Is it something that wouldn't prohibit him from qualifying to come under a K1 visa?  Because it seems like Ari is throwing her parent's good money after bad.

• Love 7
Just now, hoosiermommy said:

Can someone help me out?  Bini can't come to the US...why is that?  I think it's been mentioned but I can't remember.  Is it something that wouldn't prohibit him from qualifying to come under a K1 visa?  Because it seems like Ari is throwing her parent's good money after bad.

He supposedly overstayed his Visa when he came to the US with his first wife and son. I don't think that has ever been said on the show, though. But last night Ari discussed something with her parents about having applied for the K1 Visa for him but the pandemic derailed that plan. Does that mean there was never "The Other Way" plan and that the idea all along was to bring him to the US? That change of plans seems pretty common on TOW, people move to a foreign country instead of bringing their fiancé to the US, but then all of a sudden they are applying for a spousal or fiancé Visa. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, TVandWine said:

I’m sorry for Bini to a point - I get the feeling he sees Avi as an extension of himself rather than an actual person with his own needs (didn’t do anything to present the medical case for staying, or look up the differences between the 2 systems) and it came down to “this will upset me so don’t go” if that makes any sense.

To be fair, Areola and her RN mother never presented a compelling medical case for why it was okay for her to deliver a baby in Ethiopia but having a simple hernia surgery there was unacceptable.

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, lilysmom said:

1 hour ago, lilysmom said:
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If Jenny wants to be accepted by Sumit's family, then she has to be a traditional daughter-in-law, and it means she becomes the family's housekeeper, cook, and all under the supervision of her mother-in-law.     Jenny brings nothing else to the table.   

Are you forgetting her social security check??!!  

And her TLC payment.

How much does Jenny get paid by TLC?  Does Summit also get paid?  Does his family get paid?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I really enjoyed Alina's mother grilling Steven and his slack-jawed reactions.  And he made some comment about having had sex because now he knows what he is sacrificing by abstaining? And sorry, just because a bunny picks a fortune for you saying he loves you is not  a reason to stick with this rodent-faced hypocrite.

I did NOT enjoy the ongoing Corey-groveling. He doesn't seem to be aware that he looks like a mealy-mouthed doormat with a "kick me" sign on his back. One theme on this show I can't stand is that one partner treats the other like dirt, and then the abused person makes a mistake and spends the rest of the season apologizing.  It's so unbecoming.

I wonder if Jenny has seen the edits and now knows that her excitement at being "accepted" by Mama Sumit (because she is smiling- with dastardly glee, I imagine) is really an opportunity for Mama to openly insult Jenny to her face and in front of the family. I'm assuming Sumit will just go along and not defend her.  What an embarrassing way to make a few bucks and be on TV.

Ari will face a tough decision- stay with Mommy and Daddy, who are financing her entire life (as well as Avi's) or face them cutting her off. I know her mom loves the baby, so I'm sure she will push long and hard for a comfortable, all-expenses-paid life in Princeton. Ari will have the perfect opening to stay when Bini, who supposedly must stay at home and cry the entire time she is gone, dares to go out with his friends and thus plants the seeds of suspicion in Ari's head.

I find Ellie and Victor boring. Yes, it's expensive to live on the island. She didn't get much sympathy for me when she said, "I didn't make any plans financially before I moved here."  She had a home, a business, and I assume some insurance bucks from her dead husband. You mean to tell me that now (how old is she, 40?) she has no reserve?

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, hoosiermommy said:

Apart from overstaying a visa in the past, during the Covid travel restrictions, with some exceptions, only US citizens and residents were allowed to travel to the US. 
I believe that is also the reason why Alina and SteVen plan to live in Russia: at the time of filming Alina wasn’t allowed to travel to the US. I would be very surprised if they stayed in Russia after the travel restrictions end.

Edited by Cini
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I really enjoyed Alina's mother grilling Steven and his slack-jawed reactions.  And he made some comment about having had sex because now he knows what he is sacrificing by abstaining? And sorry, just because a bunny picks a fortune for you saying he loves you is not  a reason to stick with this rodent-faced hypocrite.

I loved that too!  And how they kept questioning his answers.

Alina, here is a good rule to follow when considering marriage: If you have doubts, especially serious red flags - DON'T DO IT!  Marriage can be challenging even when both partners are ecstatically positive about it.  Issues can come up, and in your case, they are already there, saying "This is not someone who will make you happy."

If you are still considering it, at least give it more time before you make a decision.  You don't have to decide right away.

Steven trying to convert her mother was creepy - and another red flag. 

And whatever happened with her friend who was going to continue flirting with him?  

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

And whatever happened with her friend who was going to continue flirting with him? 

Steven had sex with her so he would know what he was missing out on when he was abstaining from sex.

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

11 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:
18 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Steven had sex with her so he would know what he was missing out on when he was abstaining from sex.

Yeah, that was an epic fail of an answer!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Dobian said:

if you want more kids you might want to consider a partner who is age appropriate.  99% of 58 year olds don't want to spend their coming retirement years raising a little kid

Especially if you already have raised 4 kids, which Kenny has.  He will be at least 60 by the time they find a surrogate, and go through pregnancy, not to mention the outrageous cost.  Armando has a child, it's not like he's being forced to live without knowing the joy of having a child. Saying he wants another because it will have Kenny's "blood" is ridiculous when you have a partner that is old. I don't understand why this is not a #1 topic with some couples as soon as you decide your relationship is serious and exclusive. I also don't understand why these two have to rush for everything. Is it just drama for TV or are they both selfish in their own way? 

Jenny's kitchen is disgusting. I would never eat at her house. Didn't they say she was sweeping up flies and bugs under the counter? Jenny's friend is exactly the type Sumit's parents wish he had. Never gonna happen, parents. You son is a loser. 

Poor sad, sorry Ellie. Go back to your pizza place before this guy drains you dry. 

Alina, he won't change. Listen to your mama. Go back to Russia and enjoy your coffee and wine. 

• Love 21
19 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Especially if you already have raised 4 kids, which Kenny has.  He will be at least 60 by the time they find a surrogate, and go through pregnancy, not to mention the outrageous cost.  Armando has a child, it's not like he's being forced to live without knowing the joy of having a child. Saying he wants another because it will have Kenny's "blood" is ridiculous when you have a partner that is old. I don't understand why this is not a #1 topic with some couples as soon as you decide your relationship is serious and exclusive. I also don't understand why these two have to rush for everything. Is it just drama for TV or are they both selfish in their own way? 

You are right, they are both being selfish in different ways. I normally loathe Kenny because he has zero ability to make room for cultural differences, in particular where they concern acceptance of same sex partnerships. He's in Mexico, where machismo rules, has he never looked into that before moving there?! And to continue harping on Father Armando when the guy is really trying to change his mind set? That's huge, and allowing himself to be filmed for TV going through that process is also huge. STFU Kenny.

As for them having a kid, I understand Armando wanting a child who is biologically Kenny's to solidify their partnership. I get it. It sounds selfish on one hand, but for a same sex couple in Mexico to have a child that's both of theirs is a big deal so I wont presume to say I understand the depth of what that would mean. Then again, given when we've seen of Kenny's spoiled kids, I wouldn't be too comfy knowing I'd outlive Kenny with his bio child and never have an issue with his grown ass adult kids wanting custody some day. So yeah, I'd adopt. I also understand Kenny not wanting to be a father to an infant at his age, he'll be nearly 60. But I did appreciate and respect his desire to adopt an older HIV-positive child. That was very poignant to me, and I am a bit shocked that now Armando is pulling the 'but I also want a bio kid with you' card too. As others have said, if that's what you want, then both should have chosen age-appropriate partners.

• Love 13

Ellie and Victor: Did you draw up some sort of contract that you will pay to rebuild his home? I can see him paying it back at some point, or at least half, if the relationship works. A fool and his money..... You are not married and are under no obligation to fund this. I can see a loan or you give the money to him as a gift. You will never see a dime back. The shopping trip was an eye opener for her. You are on an island and there is no bridge connecting the island to the US. Stuff costs a lot more on an island or a remote area. When you look at shipping to places in the US, most companies say 'continental' US - not Hawaii or Alaska or the other territories. That's extra. Generators aren't cheap. Have a serious talk with him about this sort of stuff. The island life of sunshine, making some pizzas, and having pina coladas hasn't shown up. I'm sure Victor also likes living in a nice apartment.

Ari and Bini: Who is manipulating who? Ari and her parents? Her parents and Ari? It is always nice to have the grandson and daughter visit. Ari's made her home in Ethiopia. I'm sure she would love to live in the US again with all her creature comforts, electricity, food, conveniences, probably better TV.

Evelin and Corey: So now she is all gung-ho about a divorce. Time for the cha-ching cash register of her 'investment' in Corey and the marriage. Corey, she doesn't want love notes and flowers. Cold hard cash. Find a lawyer and a translator and see what is what in terms of what businesses and property you two have together and how things will be split, if at all. She may collect everything. A material girl living in a material world.  And Corey II is probably lined up.

Kenny and Armando:  The child conversation should have happened before you moved to Mexico.  Yeah, you are almost 60 Kenny. Mick Jagger is still having kids with his wives or girlfriends. But then again, he is rich. Armando does realize the age difference. Kenny will be almost 80 when the kid graduates from high school. That is tough. Tough to be around young parents when you are taking the kid to school, going to see the teachers, etc. Plus the energy needed. The caveat to this is that there is no guarantee that Armando will outlive Kenny. In reality, the odds are good for this happening. Armando could die at a young age - car accident, illness, etc. Adopting an HIV positive older child might be a good idea. They do need a home and a loving family. It was sad to hear of Kenny losing a lot of his friends to AIDS in the 80s. I grew up at that time and it was scary. Taking the gifts to the kids in the orphanage was a nice and kind gesture. Hannah continues to be adorable.

Alina and Steven: Wow, Steven, trying to convert Alina's mom to Mormonism. Hypocrite central. Alina can't have coffee but you can sleep around. A lot of religions don't have a drive thru type choice when picking what you believe in. I am okay with this, this, this, but not that. His religion is a good place for him to hide. Alina's mom is right and that he probably isn't a suitable future husband. She sees the red flags. He is not going to change unless he wants to do so. What you see is what you get. Alina is young and stupid and starstruck and in love with the idea of Steven. Like the perfect man in the box that you soak in water for him to grow and sometimes grotesquely - Steven is right in front of you and he is showing you exactly who he is. Your choice, Alina. You can excuse falling for him and converting and putting up with him embarrassing you for as long as you both will last. Maybe you do need a couple of knocks and life lessons to learn to not put up with this kind of crap. At 25 years old you will wonder who you are and why you are married to him. Enjoy life, drink your coffee and wine and whatever, and find someone who wants you for you. Steven is weird and both of you will sort of deserve each other.

Jenny and Sumit: When did Jenny find a friend in India? Now Mama and Papa Sumit are moving in? I certainly would not be giving them the main bedroom. A nice, new, clean mattress is better. Jenny, this is your house and not your prospective mother in law's home. They are your guests. You will never be good enough for Mama. And oh the complaints. The stains on the table? Find an iron and a cloth and you should be able to get rid of a lot of them. Or buy a new table! Mama may not like your kitchen but it is your kitchen. She should not get a vote. She can offer to help organize it better and see how to make use of the space you have. Why can't Sumit buy a plastic shelf unit to store stuff or ask his brothers or friends to build a pantry to store stuff or ask the landlord if they can put shelves in the kitchen? And if he doesn't like the lack of cleanliness, he has two hands, is perfectly able to handle a a mop or a rag and help out. You shouldn't be like Cinderella cleaning up after the step sisters in your own home. Your home, your rules. Mama doesn't like it, mama can leave.

Edited by Frozendiva
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, ezzy4 said:

I'm kinda surprised just how gross/dirty Jenny and Sumit's place is.  Those two can't seem to get their act togther in any way at all.  Dear Lawd. Ug.

Maybe she took housekeeping lessons from Amy Roloff!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I believe what some of the participants said and what they really meant was lost in translation.

Armando: “I’ve been thinking about adoption."

”Kenny: “Oooh.”

Translation: “You must be out of your mind."

Steven trying to convert Alina’s mom.

Alina’s mom: “Are those principles based on facts?”

Translation: “That sounds like a lot of bullcrap.”

Sumit’s mom: “Where’s the broom?”

Jenny: “I don’t know.”

Translation: “I’ve never cleaned, so I don’t know if we have one.”

Edited by Adeejay
  • LOL 20
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Mama may not like your kitchen but it is your kitchen. She should not get a vote. She can offer to help organize it better and see how to make use of the space you have. Why can't Sumit buy a plastic shelf unit to store stuff or ask his brothers or friends to build a pantry to store stuff or ask the landlord if they can put shelves in the kitchen? And if he doesn't like the lack of cleanliness, he has two hands, is perfectly able to handle a a mop or a rag and help out. You shouldn't be like Cinderella cleaning up after the step sisters in your own home. Your home, your rules. Mama doesn't like it, mama can leave.

Apparently this is Indian culture. It's not uncommon for the monster-in-law to live with the couple while teaching the new wife how to run the household. Jenny's friend said hers lived with her for 4 months and Sumit said it was common. If it was the USA for sure she should be kicked out of the house or told to stfu but Jenny is in another country, this is their culture and the man is not expected to help out with the housekeeping. Jenny knows this, she's been living in India long enough, she shouldn't be surprised by it at all. If she doesn't like it she should buy herself a plane ticket home. Speaking of home, why is she still in India? I thought there was this frantic deadline to leave the country because the visa restrictions were back in effect? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I think I've been watching too many '90-Day Fiancé' channels of rubbish and detritus.  Becuz..... There I was, a coupla days ago, crossing Broadway on NYC's Upper West Side to hit Zabars for a pastrami sandwich , and I coulda sworn I saw SteVen, the young Mormon troll...I mean lad, crossing right past me.  I will never swear to it, but the guy had an identical build/body type;  the exact same hairdo 'n color; same style colorful, loose polo shirt AND those kinda strange-looking long skinny shorts (to cover thigh underwear?)  Anyways....living in a city where I see EVERY SORT of fashion look, I nevertheless did a quick 'turn-around' to review my first impression.  SteVen's style is not a 'look' I normally see.  👽

That said, I would in NO way say that I DID see SteVen, but I am now curious as to when the Show filmed their final Tell-all Reunion in NYC.   

😁😁😁

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Apparently this is Indian culture. It's not uncommon for the monster-in-law to live with the couple while teaching the new wife how to run the household. Jenny's friend said hers lived with her for 4 months and Sumit said it was common. If it was the USA for sure she should be kicked out of the house or told to stfu but Jenny is in another country, this is their culture and the man is not expected to help out with the housekeeping. Jenny knows this, she's been living in India long enough, she shouldn't be surprised by it at all. If she doesn't like it she should buy herself a plane ticket home. Speaking of home, why is she still in India? I thought there was this frantic deadline to leave the country because the visa restrictions were back in effect? 

My Indian work friend retired a couple of years ago. She seemed more modern and I don’t think she moved in with her kids and their spouses. I think she was born in Tanzania and then moved to Canada.

• Love 2

I'm surprised that parents Summit would even stay in that filthy house.  And, Jenny did show her temper once again when she wouldn't even let Summit state that he missed his parents before she had to outdo him with leaving her "everything" (even her car!).  Maybe the bloom is off of Summit's fairy tale and he wants to go home?

Wow, did Ellie quickly point out it was her money that Victor had been spending on fixing up the house.  He just mentioned "this is where I buy everything" and she immediately corrected him with "where you spend my money."  That was pretty low (IMO).  Yes, we all know it's her money and he knows it as well, he was just really pointing out that he shopped at that store.  I think the bloom is coming off of Ellie's fairy tale-she was all about living in "paradise" as she called it, but now it involves hard work and she is not happy.  That was not an overly expensive store (like maybe she thought she was getting ripped off) so needs to stop with all of her "I could buy this for so much less at home" comments because, well, she's not in Seattle any more.

Alina also has fairy tale blinders on-especially if she is following the advice of a rabbit over her own experience and her mother's insights.  Anyone else think all of the fortunes were the same?  Alina's mother sure has SteVen figured out.  I think Alina has a long-term plan in mind and doesn't want to give up at this time.  Alina is making her decision so I don't really feel sorry for her, but her mother?  Oh, my heart goes out to her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

While I realize that there are some questionable moves made by the people on this show I don't understand why their sex lives, partners (previous and present) is anyone else's business. Why is it a family discussion? I yell more at the those being interrogated than I do the interrogators. 

"It's none of your business"

"get your own sex life and get out of mine"

"I don't care what your mother likes or doesn't like. I'm not in a relationship with her".

I mean, even for slippery SteVen there was no reason for him to confess anything to anyone, actually.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Poor sad, sorry Ellie. Go back to your pizza place before this guy drains you dry. 

The thing is, Ellie was acting so weak and apologetic when asking Victor about his affair. I didn't see any emotion, anger . . . it was just a casual conversation, her trying to get anything out of Victor who was mostly silent with a smirk on his face. These two are in love? Where was the connection, the passion? He certainly didn't put himself out with a heartfelt apology and Ellie seemed to be just fine with it; I guess she was afraid she might ruffle his feathers. I mean, the conversation was about lying and infidelity between two people who supposedly love each other, and that requires emotion. They both acted like this was a lightweight chat about who ate the last scoop of ice cream. Ellie is going to spend her last dime on Victor hoping that he will truly love her. Not going to happen. And Victor, please, please get rid of your chin braid!

Man up, Corey! I think Evelyn has a lot of internal rage about how weak Corey is; it just triggers her to further treat him like trash.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Was the Alina and the rabbit intersection TLC’s homage to Alina Alice in Wonderland? You know, The Learning Channel.

I think Ellie didn’t really press Victor for answers because she doesn’t want to know. Victor didn’t show a smidgeon of remorse and will, without a doubt, cheat on her the minute she turns her back. She’s stupid AND dickmatized, a bad combination.

• Love 12

So now the next dramatics for Kenny and Armando is in-vitro v adoption, Kenny wanting adoption, Armando wanting in-vitro.  I actually side with Kenny on this one - help a kid out who's already here - but Kenny gets to have, what, 4 or 5 of his own, natural kids (I'm misusing this term, I think, because Kenny once made some disgusting gesture about not doing it that way with the friend who would be the mother), and Armando gets only one kid with half of his genetic code?  Thus, Kenny and his forever watery eyes continue to annoy me.  Is it Armand or Armando?  Or is Armando it, but I'm thinking can't possibly be, because that's the name on Little House on the Prairie, or is it Armand on Little House?  Jesus if that actress playing Laura could even act at a 7th-grade level instead of acting that started bad and got worse by leaps and bounds, every season, I'd know the name for sure.

Alina wins the night by telling Steven that the prohibition of coffee is odd considering Steven's cherry being popped.  Steven, fuck off with being a missionary to Alina's mom - and consider yourself lucky that neither Alina nor her mom told you to fuck off.  Nothing says cult like insisting every family member be of the same religion.  Alina, I hope it's all an act, but if not, I am hoping you will go back to Russia with your mom.

Ellie needs to turn around, too, because if arguing about 230USD of her own money spent on necessary tools to rebuild their house is unavoidable or even just her style, she's not with the right man, or possibly a case of right man, wrong time/place.  Plus, she has got to be thinking, waste of money, next hurricane or devastating super-storm is around the corner.

Jenny and Sumit are beyond believable at this point, but their story should be taught to anyone who wishes to pursue finding a mate abroad, especially when there's a big age difference.  Pay attention, those of you who should, because up next are Jenny and Sumit and Sumit's parents, and the parents intend to show Jenny and you all why this idea was not a good one from the start (also pay attention to all of Jenny's talking heads and arguments with Sumit, because Jenny is pretty much making the case against these relationships too).

Sumit wants Jenny to be his...live-in housekeeper/maid?  That should work well with Jenny's retirement.  And Jenny, if the parents aren't training you to be a good Indian daughter-in-law in their own, far better, bigger house because they don't want their neighbors and friends seeing you (because of your age), you are never going to be accepted, Sumit will never marry you.  Get a brain, please, Jenny.

And what's-his-name is threatening to tear up the divorce papers if Evelin serves him?  What a show of love, most likely to be followed by Evelin stating again she wants you out, you leaving and fucking some other woman somewhere else, Evelin taking you back after that, then your coming clean to Evelin about the infidelity and...yeah, we only want to get this picture once, TLC.  Send Corey off for once and for all, or Evelin, or both of them.  She's an unentertaining shrew, and he's proving to be a whipping boy by his own design.  Both are attractive physically but unattractive otherwise.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, CainF said:

Or is Armando it, but I'm thinking can't possibly be, because that's the name on Little House on the Prairie, or is it Armand on Little House? 

It was Almonzo, or as Harriet Oleson called him:  Zaldamo!

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, CainF said:

Jesus if that actress playing Laura could even act at a 7th-grade level instead of acting that started bad and got worse by leaps and bounds, every season, I'd know the name for sure.

Melissa Gilbert - I loved her acting, she was so cute!

• Love 3

Why is everyone suddenly on board with Sumit adhering to traditional Indian norms? It is common for a mother in law to live with her newlywed son and his wife, but couples in India really don’t tend to live together without being married. Many Indian  mothers-in-law don’t move in after their son’s weddings. Almost no Indian boyfriends move their girlfriends in without serious plans to get married.

Sumit is picking and choosing when he wants to stick to tradition according to when it aligns with what he wants, just like Steven.

• Love 16
21 hours ago, Cini said:

I believe that is also the reason why Alina and SteVen plan to live in Russia: at the time of filming Alina wasn’t allowed to travel to the US. I would be very surprised if they stayed in Russia after the travel restrictions end.

If Alina doesn't have the sense to dump Steven in Turkey, it is best that they live in Russia.  Once there, her mom can work on getting her to break it off with him.  If she goes with him to America, his family will have control over her, and as soon as she has that first baby she will be stuck.  They'll never let Alina take their new little Mormon back to Russia.

• Love 13
On 10/17/2021 at 6:53 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I have no clue what she sees in him. I don’t find him attractive, he’s a liar, he doesn’t hold himself to the same values that he expects in others, and wants Alina to convert. Go home with your mother Alina. He is never going to be a prize. 

Even worse, he has the unmitigated audacity to try to convert her mother as well.

I love how the mother sees right through him, but hate that she can't get Alina to also see him for the sneaky snake that he is.

• Love 8
On 10/17/2021 at 11:17 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

I know it probably won’t happen, but part of me would love for Sumit’s parents to overstay their welcome and live in Jenny’s house for months, just like Jenny did to them when she first visited India.

Exactly!  Why is Jennie opposed to the in-laws coming to stay with her and Sumit for as long as they'd like, since Jenny did that exact thing to Sumit's parents with her never-ending visit years ago?  Hypocrite much?

• Love 7
On 10/18/2021 at 8:43 AM, lilysmom said:

Great post! 

I couldn't believe how filthy Jenny's house looked. When my mil was coming to visit (and she lived next door, so it was often) I straightened and cleaned like the Queen was coming to visit. (Well until I had kids, anyways. Then it became a losing battle!)  I'm hoping that it was a production doing. Or maybe now that Jenny has a good friend in India, she just doesn't have the time to tidy up. 

I think Ari keeps talking about going back to Ethiop-ya so that her parents can panic and offer her even more reasons to stay in Princeton.

I totally agree that Ari is stealth manipulative with regards to not going back to Ethiopia but making it look like it's not in any way her decision to stay in the U.S., but rather her parents and siblings pressuring her to do so.  She wants to come across as the good cop in this whole situation and not prove his hated sisters right - that she's just like Bini's first wife.  Didn't she also makes some type of passive aggressive dig about how she has no one in Ethiopia who's on her side/likes her?

She's clearly just waiting for Bini to do something that will justify her staying in the U.S. and not returning to Ethiopia.  He probably has already done things that piss her off when she was there so she's probably pretty sure he'll do those things again, or do even worse things while she's not there, and that will be her "get out of jail free" card to not return.  It's just a matter of running the clock out on him.

I wonder if Bini didn't just leave Ari home alone while he was working, but also was like Michael from Nigeria was and had quite a social life with his friends that excluded pregnant Ari, and then mother Ari.  Wasn't she always complaining in their previous season about how she's always home alone?  So much for her being Miss Independence.  She's probably a stage 5 clinger who never wants Bini to go anywhere without her.  It's totally believable to me that she's incapable of making female friends, which she should have long since done by now after all the time that she's been living there.  It's probably pure laziness that her only, "best" friend is Mimi the caretaker, because Ari likely rarely leaves the house.  I call Mimi the caretaker as opposed to the nanny, because I truly believe Ari's parents are paying for her to look after Ari as much as the baby, if not more so.  Ari strikes me as the type of woman who doesn't have many woman friends and probably prefers male friendships.

Edited by Xebug67
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, Dobian said:

If Alina doesn't have the sense to dump Steven in Turkey, it is best that they live in Russia.  Once there, her mom can work on getting her to break it off with him.  If she goes with him to America, his family will have control over her, and as soon as she has that first baby she will be stuck.  They'll never let Alina take their new little Mormon back to Russia.

I fully appreciate this, however, I believe Alina has seen way too many flags to let it go that far - no baby for these two!  (Please?)

• Love 5
23 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Sumit was probably  thrilled about the idea of having a clean house.

In Indian culture, sons were probably not expected to do any cleaning - that was the woman's job.

Interesting that Jenny's friend, when asked to sympathize with Jenny, just said, "You are in India now."  In other words, suck it up.  This is how things are here.

That scene where Mother Sumit was sayings things like "You are useless" and Jenny was smiling and nodding, showing that she didn't know what Mother was sayings...how long has Jenny been in India?  Has she not learned any of the language?

I've been waiting with bated breath for the move-in of Sumit's parents and the putting-in-place of Jenny by them, especially the mother (although Papa Sumit did a pretty good takedown of her previously, LOL).

India strikes me as a country where if you're a foreigner you're expected to make yourself fit in with the way things are done there, as opposed to the U.S., where all the foreigners continue to indulge in their own cultural and religious practices.  I'm not saying that in a bad way either.  I do think that the onus is and has been on Jenny to make herself fit in according to Sumit's family's values and mores, and every time that she balks over that I want to throat punch her.  She reminds me of how Grangela, who is always yelling, 'I'm a 'Merican".

The only thing I will say for Jenny is IF she's the sole financial support of both her and Sumit, then I can see where she would have just cause and reason to balk about kowtowing to him and his family, because that is anything but traditional for the woman to be the breadwinner.  She then would have every reason to want to run her home the way she sees fit, even if that means living in a pig sty.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I did NOT enjoy the ongoing Corey-groveling. He doesn't seem to be aware that he looks like a mealy-mouthed doormat with a "kick me" sign on his back. One theme on this show I can't stand is that one partner treats the other like dirt, and then the abused person makes a mistake and spends the rest of the season apologizing.  It's so unbecoming.

I wonder if Jenny has seen the edits and now knows that her excitement at being "accepted" by Mama Sumit (because she is smiling- with dastardly glee, I imagine) is really an opportunity for Mama to openly insult Jenny to her face and in front of the family. I'm assuming Sumit will just go along and not defend her.  What an embarrassing way to make a few bucks and be on TV.

Ari will face a tough decision- stay with Mommy and Daddy, who are financing her entire life (as well as Avi's) or face them cutting her off. I know her mom loves the baby, so I'm sure she will push long and hard for a comfortable, all-expenses-paid life in Princeton. Ari will have the perfect opening to stay when Bini, who supposedly must stay at home and cry the entire time she is gone, dares to go out with his friends and thus plants the seeds of suspicion in Ari's head.

I find Ellie and Victor boring. Yes, it's expensive to live on the island. She didn't get much sympathy for me when she said, "I didn't make any plans financially before I moved here."  She had a home, a business, and I assume some insurance bucks from her dead husband. You mean to tell me that now (how old is she, 40?) she has no reserve?

Steven is the biggest hypocrite on two legs.  He's also so physically repulsive, I want to throw up in my own mouth every time I have to see that rat face of his.  Someone on here referred to him as a hobgoblin, and I FLOVE that observation.  That poster was a million percent on point.  I really do worry for Alina if she locks herself into a marriage with this creep.

As much as I despise Evelin (and have since their initial season), I do think that Corey's in the wrong for forcing himself on her the way he is.  He's like a stalker at this point, refusing to leave her alone when she's very clearly told him that's what she wants from him, and not flowers or his lurking.  I had up until this episode had some modicum of sympathy for him, but no means NO, and his not respecting Evelin's wishes does not make him a romantic guy who's showing his love.  Rather, it makes him a stalking abuser who refuses to take NO for an answer.

The more nasty things Mother Sumit says about Jenny, while Jenny becomes a nodding bobblehead thinking that she and the mother are now getting along and that the mother is making pleasantries has me laughing my arse off.  Now that's comedy gold, Jerry.

The one good thing to come out of Ari and Bini is that beyond adorable baby.  Who wouldn't fight over him to keep him with them!  And he's such a happy baby as well.

The fact that Ellie is now counting her pennies makes me question the actual success of her pizza place.  Does she really have so little money to live on at this stage of her life?  If so she's a fool to have been bankrolling Victor up until now.  Of course he has no appreciation for a dollar, as this lout's probably never had to work to earn that dollar.  He's probably always mooched off of women.  WTF do any of these women see in him to begin with?  He's gross AF (on par with rat-faced Steven).

• Love 11
20 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Ellie and Victor: Did you draw up some sort of contract that you will pay to rebuild his home? I can see him paying it back at some point, or at least half, if the relationship works. A fool and his money..... You are not married and are under no obligation to fund this. I can see a loan or you give the money to him as a gift. You will never see a dime back. The shopping trip was an eye opener for her. You are on an island and there is no bridge connecting the island to the US. Stuff costs a lot more on an island or a remote area. When you look at shipping to places in the US, most companies say 'continental' US - not Hawaii or Alaska or the other territories. That's extra. Generators aren't cheap. Have a serious talk with him about this sort of stuff. The island life of sunshine, making some pizzas, and having pina coladas hasn't shown up. I'm sure Victor also likes living in a nice apartment.

Ari and Bini: Who is manipulating who? Ari and her parents? Her parents and Ari? It is always nice to have the grandson and daughter visit. Ari's made her home in Ethiopia. I'm sure she would love to live in the US again with all her creature comforts, electricity, food, conveniences, probably better TV.

Evelin and Corey: So now she is all gung-ho about a divorce. Time for the cha-ching cash register of her 'investment' in Corey and the marriage. Corey, she doesn't want love notes and flowers. Cold hard cash. Find a lawyer and a translator and see what is what in terms of what businesses and property you two have together and how things will be split, if at all. She may collect everything. A material girl living in a material world.  And Corey II is probably lined up.

Kenny and Armando:  The child conversation should have happened before you moved to Mexico.  Yeah, you are almost 60 Kenny. Mick Jagger is still having kids with his wives or girlfriends. But then again, he is rich. Armando does realize the age difference. Kenny will be almost 80 when the kid graduates from high school. That is tough. Tough to be around young parents when you are taking the kid to school, going to see the teachers, etc. Plus the energy needed. The caveat to this is that there is no guarantee that Armando will outlive Kenny. In reality, the odds are good for this happening. Armando could die at a young age - car accident, illness, etc. Adopting an HIV positive older child might be a good idea. They do need a home and a loving family. It was sad to hear of Kenny losing a lot of his friends to AIDS in the 80s. I grew up at that time and it was scary. Taking the gifts to the kids in the orphanage was a nice and kind gesture. Hannah continues to be adorable.

Alina and Steven: Wow, Steven, trying to convert Alina's mom to Mormonism. Hypocrite central. Alina can't have coffee but you can sleep around. A lot of religions don't have a drive thru type choice when picking what you believe in. I am okay with this, this, this, but not that. His religion is a good place for him to hide. Alina's mom is right and that he probably isn't a suitable future husband. She sees the red flags. He is not going to change unless he wants to do so. What you see is what you get. Alina is young and stupid and starstruck and in love with the idea of Steven. Like the perfect man in the box that you soak in water for him to grow and sometimes grotesquely - Steven is right in front of you and he is showing you exactly who he is. Your choice, Alina. You can excuse falling for him and converting and putting up with him embarrassing you for as long as you both will last. Maybe you do need a couple of knocks and life lessons to learn to not put up with this kind of crap. At 25 years old you will wonder who you are and why you are married to him. Enjoy life, drink your coffee and wine and whatever, and find someone who wants you for you. Steven is weird and both of you will sort of deserve each other.

Jenny and Sumit: When did Jenny find a friend in India? Now Mama and Papa Sumit are moving in? I certainly would not be giving them the main bedroom. A nice, new, clean mattress is better. Jenny, this is your house and not your prospective mother in law's home. They are your guests. You will never be good enough for Mama. And oh the complaints. The stains on the table? Find an iron and a cloth and you should be able to get rid of a lot of them. Or buy a new table! Mama may not like your kitchen but it is your kitchen. She should not get a vote. She can offer to help organize it better and see how to make use of the space you have. Why can't Sumit buy a plastic shelf unit to store stuff or ask his brothers or friends to build a pantry to store stuff or ask the landlord if they can put shelves in the kitchen? And if he doesn't like the lack of cleanliness, he has two hands, is perfectly able to handle a a mop or a rag and help out. You shouldn't be like Cinderella cleaning up after the step sisters in your own home. Your home, your rules. Mama doesn't like it, mama can leave.

As callous as this may sound, were they to adopt an HIV child, they would need to be able to afford the medications and medical care for that child.  I just did a brief look-up of how much per month the medications are for HIV patients, and the prices range from $300+ to $1,100+ per medication, and don't most HIV patients need multiple medications?  That alone can be cost prohibitive for adoptive parents.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I'm surprised that parents Summit would even stay in that filthy house.  And, Jenny did show her temper once again when she wouldn't even let Summit state that he missed his parents before she had to outdo him with leaving her "everything" (even her car!).  Maybe the bloom is off of Summit's fairy tale and he wants to go home?

Wow, did Ellie quickly point out it was her money that Victor had been spending on fixing up the house.  He just mentioned "this is where I buy everything" and she immediately corrected him with "where you spend my money."  That was pretty low (IMO).  Yes, we all know it's her money and he knows it as well, he was just really pointing out that he shopped at that store.  I think the bloom is coming off of Ellie's fairy tale-she was all about living in "paradise" as she called it, but now it involves hard work and she is not happy.  That was not an overly expensive store (like maybe she thought she was getting ripped off) so needs to stop with all of her "I could buy this for so much less at home" comments because, well, she's not in Seattle any more.

Alina also has fairy tale blinders on-especially if she is following the advice of a rabbit over her own experience and her mother's insights.  Anyone else think all of the fortunes were the same?  Alina's mother sure has SteVen figured out.  I think Alina has a long-term plan in mind and doesn't want to give up at this time.  Alina is making her decision so I don't really feel sorry for her, but her mother?  Oh, my heart goes out to her.

I totally agree with you that the bloom appears to be off the rose for Sumit and Ellie.  Jenny got super-aggressive when Sumit kept TRYING to say that he missed his parents (trying, because Jenny kept interrupting him so that she could point out that her "missing" of family/everything was more of a hardship on her than his was on him).  She clearly is intolerant of anyone else's feelings or viewpoint.  No different than how she's always being super-dismissive of their naysayers.  Jenny really is an oldster who is very, very set in her ways, and wants it to be only her way or the highway for anyone who contradicts her.  Mama's boy Sumit has no idea who he's truly up against.

Ellie saying what she said to Victor about it being HER money that he'd been spending struck me as a very emasculating thing to say, but he didn't seem to be too bothered by it.  I really do think that she's at the point where she doesn't want to be throwing more good money after bad when it comes to rebuilding Victor's home.  Talk about NOT being in it for better or worse.  She clearly envisioned her vacation paradise as being her future life, and now that the island is completely devastated she's not interested in making her future home there.  Can I blame her?  No, because I would never want to live in a shithole like that that island's become.  But I also wouldn't be uprooting my life for a vacation fling.  Heck, I wouldn't even have a vacation fling.  I've never been a one-night-stand person, let alone stupid enough to fork over my hard earned cash to some island boy.  Whatever the heck was Victor's occupation anyway?  On an island that small what work opportunities were there?  Were there ever any resort hotels on that island?  Has this guy spent his entire life not working or only very minimally working?  These are questions that I need answers to.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Can someone sneak up on Victor and cut that chin braid. Please, not a good look.

And Sumbitch what the hell is up with your hair this episode. So distracting.

Sumit's hairdo usually reminds me of a cockatoo.  I was so distracted with how his hair looked this episode, and I can't quite put my finger on why it bothered/distracted me so much, LOL.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Xebug67 said:

The only thing I will say for Jenny is IF she's the sole financial support of both her and Sumit, then I can see where she would have just cause and reason to balk about kowtowing to him and his family, because that is anything but traditional for the woman to be the breadwinner.  She then would have every reason to want to run her home the way she sees fit, even if that means living in a pig sty.

Financially, Sumit has brought $20,000 of debt to the household. One might call him a breadloser.

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

I am familiar with Indian culture. In Sumit’s culture, sons are expected to earn a living.

Maybe he considers servicing Jenny sexually to be his job. It's not a totally unreasonable assumption.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, KateHearts said:

She had a home, a business, and I assume some insurance bucks from her dead husband.

My suspicion is she still has a home and a business.

17 hours ago, Breedom said:

Victor, please, please get rid of your chin braid!

Wouldn't it be something if at the end of the season Ellie suddenly hulked out on Victor and did something like hang him from a roof joist using his chin braid as a noose? Kind of like a praying mantis female eating the male after screwing him. I think she's hiding her true nature from us.

• LOL 5

3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

On 10/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

I am familiar with Indian culture. In Sumit’s culture, sons are expected to earn a living.

Maybe he considers servicing Jenny sexually to be his job. It's not a totally unreasonable assumption.

No, this is completely reasonable. Maybe Jenny and Sumit do really embody the family unit every Indian parent imagines for their child: a wife who keeps a sparkling clean house, and a husband who is a sexual slave.

• LOL 4