Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Ghosts

• Start Topic

I wish I were enjoying Juliana Margulies in this but I’m just not. I don’t think she makes Bradley more interesting, either. I feel like RW made an acting choice to play Bradley in such a way that nobody could make the Lou Grant-to-Mary Richards backhanded compliment to her (‘you’ve got spunk/I hate spunk’) when all I really want from her (or anyone on this show) is some uncomplicated spunk!

24 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

I wish I were enjoying Juliana Margulies in this but I’m just not. I don’t think she makes Bradley more interesting, either.

I’m enjoying her as a contemporary of Alex. She’d work better as a foil to Alex instead of Bradley. Part of the problem is that Bradley is a poorly defined character and the show would be better off without the character IMO. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Penman61 said:

I don’t know why I find the show’s rehabilitation of Mitch so enraging, but I really, really do.

I like the idea of Mitch not “ending” as a character after his dismissal and self-imposed exile, but I don’t find this particular story very compelling.

• Love 1

The show needs to focus more on Cory and Alex…they are the two most interesting characters. I’d rather the show just be about the two of them..star and network head. Sort of like 30 rock (Tina fey/Alec Baldwin) but as a drama

• Like 1
  • Love 11

So assuming Cory tells that trashy news source that Bradley and Laura are an item (in exchange for them dropping the Hannah story), does that mean Bradley will blindly assume Alex is the one who blabbed - because Alex saw the way Bradley and Laura acted on the plane?

I really hope not. The show is soapy enough as it is.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Paws said:

The show needs to focus more on Cory and Alex…they are the two most interesting characters. I’d rather the show just be about the two of them..star and network head. 

Totally agree 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Beeyago said:

they are the two most interesting characters

Huh.  I find all the characters quite fascinating although, of course, there are a lot of them, and they're hard to keep track of.

Great episode!

The redemption of Mitch doesn't bother me, but it might if a different actor were playing him.  😊

Planting both Fred and Mitch in Italy means one of them has got to die of COVID.  (Offing both of them would be overkill I'm thinking, and though this show lives and dies on melodrama, I don't think the showrunners/writers would go quite that far.)

Not sure how Mitch's tape gets leaked.  But obviously, it must get leaked.

Plus, Martha Gay Hardin is noot necessarily a better actress than Jennifer Anniston, but if forehead movement is anything to go on, she uses less Botox, and that makes her more interesting to watch.

• Love 1

The scene between Alex and Maggie in the latter's hotel room was amazing. Aniston and Harden (Gay Harden?) were excellent even though it was obvious that their scene was shot with COVID protocols.

I loved when Alex threatened to sue Maggie and Maggie said "you can sue me if it's not true."

I wonder about the result of Yanko's beatdown of the racist who yelled slurs at Stella. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, eejm said:

I like the idea of Mitch not “ending” as a character after his dismissal and self-imposed exile, but I don’t find this particular story very compelling.

I don't think they are rehabilitating him so much as laying the ground work for him to die from Covid. I think the video he did with her for "practice" will ultimately be released, causing problems for UBA.

I'm also ok with him showing remorse and having scenes that may or may not elicit sympathy. Very few people are 100% bad or 100% good.  How his character is seen within the show is going to be different depending on the viewer. 

• Love 3

Alex’s neurosis really was too much….please.  It was overdone imo and out of character.  It just didn’t seem authentic to me.  It made me dislike JA.  The meltdown scene in the Vegas hotel hallway with Alex was just ridiculous, imo. 

Public figures actually punch people in public and think it’s ok?  Please. 

I also didn’t believe that Hannah’s dad would ignore the possibility of not getting money.  He gets warned and is silly enough to scoff?  Plus, he has a fiduciary duty to the estate to act reasonably.  His cavalier attitude is not believable, imo. 

How is the story of Bradly and female lover that big?  Seems like a so so story to me. The one about Hannah, in light of the lawsuit is much bigger, imo. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
3 hours ago, coconspirator said:

I don't think they are rehabilitating him so much as laying the ground work for him to die from Covid. I think the video he did with her for "practice" will ultimately be released, causing problems for UBA.

I'm also ok with him showing remorse and having scenes that may or may not elicit sympathy. Very few people are 100% bad or 100% good.  How his character is seen within the show is going to be different depending on the viewer. 

I think you meant to reply to the person I was replying to.

Is it just me or did it seem like Jen was channeling Teri Garr big time in this episode?

If it wasn’t for Valeria Golino’s mesmerizingly beautiful eyes I’d be fast forwarding through the Mitch/Paola stuff.

6 hours ago, coconspirator said:

Yeah, my first thought when she asked him to do the interview “just for practice” was that she was lying and would sell it or something. Even if she doesn’t purposely do that, you just know it will get leaked somehow.

• Love 4
On 10/15/2021 at 10:29 PM, Paws said:

The show needs to focus more on Cory and Alex…they are the two most interesting characters. I’d rather the show just be about the two of them..star and network head. Sort of like 30 rock (Tina fey/Alec Baldwin) but as a drama

Agree. I like watching both of them. I think this is Jennifer Aniston’s show. She steals a lot of the scenes. 

Is it just me or did it seem like Jen was channeling Teri Garr big time in this episode?

Yes! I thought there was something familiar about her demeanor but couldn’t put my finger on it. She also reminded me of Meg Ryan but I can’t remember which movie. 

This episode was slow-moving to me. I didn’t understand the direction, and I’m still bored with Mitch’s scenes. It seems like they’re trying to create drama around the book and Alex’s reputation, but it’s not that compelling of a storyline. Either that or they just aren’t writing it well. 

I was distracted by how pretty JA’s hair looked in some of the scenes. 

I think JM’s character is interesting, but I keep waiting for her to turn on Bradley. 

I enjoyed Maggie’s slightly amused reaction to Alex’s ranting. She wasn’t the least bit intimidated by Alex. Well-played by MGH. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 2

I guess I’m in the minority but I’m loving the Mitch storyline. I also don’t know if it’s because Steve Carrell is a great actor OR if he isn’t and my love of Michael Scott is getting in the way but I find Mitch very sympathetic. 

Alex not doing the debate was unrealistic. He canceling after just coming back doesn’t make sense to me.

I hate how much Cory has changed as a character. I miss season 1 Cory.

I really miss Claire. She was a great character.

• Love 2

I’m getting tired of all the racism and misogyny and anti-LGBQT on TV shows. It doesn’t portray real life in that it is being forced and comes off absurd. We know there are idiots everywhere, and they are not only straight white men, either.

Anyway, that said, I am finding a disconnect with this show. As was mentioned upthread, Alex’s character was a little off beat this week. And while I loved The Good Wife, I always found Margulies extremely unlikeable. That hasn’t changed for me.

Reese is, as always, a pleasure to watch. Steve Carrell does a good job in this role….he always plays a dick very well.  

Stella (Greta Lee) is another character I find very unlikeable, although I started warming up to her a bit when she was trying to relate to Alex.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, Blakeston said:

So assuming Cory tells that trashy news source that Bradley and Laura are an item (in exchange for them dropping the Hannah story), does that mean Bradley will blindly assume Alex is the one who blabbed - because Alex saw the way Bradley and Laura acted on the plane?

I really hope not. The show is soapy enough as it is.

Here's what bothered me about that whole idea: 

Stepping away from the outing for a second. UBA has major, major issues with sexual harassment, and subordinate/superior relationships that were non-consensual or abusive. Not just Mitch but also their evening news guy that got fired at the start of this season. So why on earth would leaking that an older, senior in experience reporter who has been covering The Morning Show is also sleeping with one of the cohosts DISTRACT anyone from UBA's issues? Wouldn't it just further highlight that literally no one at UBA has the professionalism to not keep it in their pants?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, questionfear said:

Here's what bothered me about that whole idea: 

Stepping away from the outing for a second. UBA has major, major issues with sexual harassment, and subordinate/superior relationships that were non-consensual or abusive. Not just Mitch but also their evening news guy that got fired at the start of this season. So why on earth would leaking that an older, senior in experience reporter who has been covering The Morning Show is also sleeping with one of the cohosts DISTRACT anyone from UBA's issues? Wouldn't it just further highlight that literally no one at UBA has the professionalism to not keep it in their pants?

It's so true - besides being colleagues Bradley was a source for Laura, in that the interview special Laura was doing to promote Alex's return hadn't even aired yet when Bradley first kissed her. So it has the double whammy effect of being colleagues with a power imbalance AND a journalist sleeping with a source.

• Love 2

Julianna Margulies has ruined an already blah season so far.  I don’t know what it is about her, but after she left ER, I just can’t like her.  I watched the Good Wife for a few seasons, but had to quit because it got too soapy and was past its expiration date IMO.  JM just seems like a real diva, and I find her hard to like.  And I so believe her character is using Bradley.  Lara is a predator and looking out for #1, so Bradley is gonna feel the sting eventually (purely speculation, not a spoiler).  And I’m ok if Bradley gets stung.  Not liking her so much so far.  

I love Steve Carrell in everything he’s done.  I know he is playing a real asshole here, and I don’t want to see Mitch earn a redemption halo. If Mitch has to die or be written off, so be it, but I will miss seeing Steve Carrell act. What Mitch and Fred (and probably every Exec in that building) did was criminal.  It was disgusting and impacted so many people in a very long term way. A heartfelt “sorry I coerced/ forced you to have send with me” is not ever going to be enough. 

Alex’s panicked rant over the book’s content reminded me of a Rachel Greene panicked rant. Alex’s was meant to be serious drama but I just kept seeing Rachel running around the apartment freaking out over something she or Ross did. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Julianna Margulies has ruined an already blah season so far.  I don’t know what it is about her, but after she left ER, I just can’t like her.  I watched the Good Wife for a few seasons, but had to quit because it got too soapy and was past its expiration date IMO.  JM just seems like a real diva, and I find her hard to like.

I feel just the opposite. I loved her in The Good Wife and think she’s a great actress in everything I’ve seen her in. I’ve also found Reese Witherspoon’s acting lacking, and watching her opposite JM stresses RW’s limited skills all the more. 

• Love 1
On 10/22/2021 at 12:10 AM, jenn31 said:

I feel just the opposite. I loved her in The Good Wife and think she’s a great actress in everything I’ve seen her in. I’ve also found Reese Witherspoon’s acting lacking, and watching her opposite JM stresses RW’s limited skills all the more. 

Reese was much better in Big Little Lies.  I’m not sure what the trouble is here.  

• Love 1

I am really wondering if Alex's back pain is real (like she injured herself doing something) or is it something in her head/stress related or is it a COVID symptom? Every morning when I screen my kids unexplained muscle/joint pain is a symptom.