Type keyword(s) to search

To Gym Or Not To Gym, That Is The Question

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Before the pandemic, I trained twice a week, every other week and once on the weeks I don’t do it twice.  I also worked out at home and took Pilates and essentrics.  Things then changed and the training had to stop.  I started working out at home, using online subscriptions (for essentrics) and also on my home elliptical (five times a week).  Slowly getting back into training, but I likely won’t do it twice a week until my son is in school full day (September 2022).  

• Love 1

I work out at home a lot, but I am going to probably join a gym to get more access to different kinds of equipment and possibly classes. I'm checking one out close to my home this Saturday.

• Love 1
(edited)

I’m thinking of joining Planet Fitness because the price is the best of the gyms near me, and it doesn’t sound gimmicky as far as tricky contracts and such. It’s apparently a no judgment zone great for newbies, but I would like some eye candy as a single lady. 😂 My friends tell me to go to Gold’s, but trying to be wise with my money as I once had a membership to a high end gym I didn’t use. Gold’s is much less than I once spent, but not as cheap as PF. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2022 at 3:17 PM, Bookish Jen said:

I work out at home a lot, but I am going to probably join a gym to get more access to different kinds of equipment and possibly classes. I'm checking one out close to my home this Saturday.

Well, I ended up checking out this gym yesterday and yep, I signed up. This gym is in my neighborhood and open 24 hours. It's pretty big and has a lot of equipment. I'll probably visit for the first time this weekend.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Well, I ended up checking out this gym yesterday and yep, I signed up. This gym is in my neighborhood and open 24 hours. It's pretty big and has a lot of equipment. I'll probably visit for the first time this weekend.

I don't personally need a 24-hour gym for super late or early hours, but I wish the non-24 hour gyms were open later on the weekends. Some of them close especially early on Sundays, like 6-7 pm. If I have no work to do or no plans, it would be awesome to get a workout in later in the evening. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I don't personally need a 24-hour gym for super late or early hours, but I wish the non-24 hour gyms were open later on the weekends. Some of them close especially early on Sundays, like 6-7 pm. If I have no work to do or no plans, it would be awesome to get a workout in later in the evening. 

I agree. I'll probably work out right after work, Saturday mornings, or Sunday after church. Just knowing my gym will be open at convenient hours is good enough for me. I don't want to be working out at 3:00am.

Now I have to find some good beginner workouts.

• Love 1

Okay, I've been going to the gym 3-4 times a week, and increasing my workout load bit by bit. I also started walking around the circuit of my office  several times a day and I brought in a resistance band to do some strength training throughout the day.

On 7/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, Bookish Jen said:

One of my co-workers just asked me if I've lost weight. Going to the gym is paying off!

If you're a fan of JD Robb's books,  you'll  get the reference: "Loose pants! Loose pants!"

😀

Kiddo is in school from 9-3:45 and I’m still not training twice a week.  But going once a week plus another day at tennis (I’m not in a house league or anything. Just working with a tennis pro, doing drills and the like) plus virtual classes another four days a week.  May still do a second day of training in 2023. 

I go to the gym with a personal trainer twice a week. I do not have a goal to lose weight - I do it in order to strengthen my back muscles, since I have practically none. However, I am losing weight, but very slowly - due to the fact that after physical exertion I want to eat more ... But the back pain has almost disappeared, and this is the most important thing!
I plan to work out three times a week from next year, but the third time will be a cardio workout to lose weight. I've already tried running outside a few times, but I can hurt my knees and feet because I don't know how to run properly. Therefore, I will train on a treadmill in the gym, first under the supervision of a trainer, then on my own. In warmer weather, I will ride a bike - I like riding with it, I hope my family will support me, and we will ride together, it's more fun. Maybe I will take part in some marathon, who knows!