Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/18/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Whoopi, Sunny, and Joy are right-ALL history should be taught. This nonsense about how six and seven years old shouldn’t be because it will make them feel bad is bullshit. Unless teachers are signaling out those kids and telling them they’re worthless-they are also responsible for what Whites did in the past, even if they weren’t their ancestors; or minorities for being enslaved, whose people were victims of genocide. 

Seriously! And even if it made them feel bad (which it shouldn’t), teaching them to learn from history and to treat other people well regardless of race, religion, gender etc is supposed to be a GOOD thing!!!! So Condi and these thin-skinned “concerned” parents can kindly STFU.

• Love 14

In the past, I haven't been a great fan of Condi Rice, but I thought she made some very good points. I particularly liked her comments that new blood is needed in the political parties' leadership instead of always going back to the same old people who keep grinding the same old stones. It would be a novelty to have a president who is under 65 again, for example. I think that both parties are suffering from a lack of imagination and initiative, so younger people who aren't beholden to old leaders may not be getting the chance to participate.

About CRT and parent's concerns - parents have been commenting on school curriculums for years. It is public education and the public should be able to offer feedback on it.  Many times, the feedback becomes heated. Think about the arguments over sex education in the past. While the educators have professional expertise, they should also be aware that they are serving a community and be prepared to work with that community to meet its needs. 

CR's ideas about CRT and her personal history - I think that she's looking at this in a good way - kids should be focusing on empowerment, not victimization, even as they learn the "whole" history of the United States. Also, teaching "whole" history doesn't have to resort to gimmicks (like the examples Sara read) to illustrate that humans can be terrible to each other, venal and cruel. A quick review of history of other countries and cultures will confirm that!  I suspect that some schools jumped onto the CRT bandwagon before thoroughly reviewing the material and haven't been very good about adjusting it to make it appropriate for their students, which leads to much of the parents' objections.

• Love 2

Using Google instead of Grandma's recipes - I look up recipes all the time, not only for the ingredients but to see the techniques, especially if it is something I'm not too familiar with. I have some recipes from Grandma and Mom, but they are both gone now, so I can't double check anything on the written recipes with them. Being able to look something up on the internet is a great thing!

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Using Google instead of Grandma's recipes - I look up recipes all the time, not only for the ingredients but to see the techniques, especially if it is something I'm not too familiar with. I have some recipes from Grandma and Mom, but they are both gone now, so I can't double check anything on the written recipes with them. Being able to look something up on the internet is a great thing!

I wish they would have mentioned that not all moms and grandmas are cooking anymore because they’re working and there are more options for fast food and other restaurants. Also, many people don’t live in the same town as their grandmas. My grandmothers were wonderful cooks, but they lived 8 hours away and I was lucky to see them once or twice a year. 

Edited by Stacey1014
  • Love 3

My kids occasionally ask for a recipe bug they mostly rely on Hello Fresh and other services. I don’t use many recipes from mom or grandma because I cook differently - less fat and salt, more natural ingredients.

Again, CRT is studied in law school. It is not taught to children, despite Condi’s party's claims. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

In the past, I haven't been a great fan of Condi Rice, but I thought she made some very good points. I particularly liked her comments that new blood is needed in the political parties' leadership instead of always going back to the same old people who keep grinding the same old stones. It would be a novelty to have a president who is under 65 again, for example. I think that both parties are suffering from a lack of imagination and initiative, so younger people who aren't beholden to old leaders may not be getting the chance to participate.

About CRT and parent's concerns - parents have been commenting on school curriculums for years. It is public education and the public should be able to offer feedback on it.  Many times, the feedback becomes heated. Think about the arguments over sex education in the past. While the educators have professional expertise, they should also be aware that they are serving a community and be prepared to work with that community to meet its needs. 

CR's ideas about CRT and her personal history - I think that she's looking at this in a good way - kids should be focusing on empowerment, not victimization, even as they learn the "whole" history of the United States. Also, teaching "whole" history doesn't have to resort to gimmicks (like the examples Sara read) to illustrate that humans can be terrible to each other, venal and cruel. A quick review of history of other countries and cultures will confirm that!  I suspect that some schools jumped onto the CRT bandwagon before thoroughly reviewing the material and haven't been very good about adjusting it to make it appropriate for their students, which leads to much of the parents' objections.

CRT, as has been noted by sunny many times, is not being taught in elementary and high schools.  People are complaining about things like our history of slavery, civil rights, social/equal  justice and calling them CRT because it makes conservatives nervous.  

• Love 17
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think Whoopi was glad to go to commercial. Rice just kept yapping even as my television faded to black.

But I'm glad Joy got that response in, about how German children are taught the Holocaust even though it probably makes them feel bad that Germans slaughtered millions... People like Rice know what they're doing. They're race-baiting with an obvious lie. CRT isn't even being taught in public schools, it's just a talking point guise for them to push erasure of Black history, women's history, LGBT history, and Native American history. Anyone who argues for less fact, less truth, is not trustworthy.

• Love 21
On 10/18/2021 at 3:31 PM, ifionlyknew said:

I caught that too.  I don't like her.  She wants to be the alpha at the table and I don't see Whoopi or Joy or Sunny standing for that. Guest hosting she might get away with it but if she was hired full time I think there would be friction.

Re Eboni Williams, I just now got caught up with my DVR.  I knew nothing about her, but my first impression of her is that she's annoying and yeah, a little full of herself.  I think a little of her would go a long way.  I just saw an article somewhere about her wanting to be the permanent co-host.  I certainly hope she doesn't get it.  From the candidates so far, I'd pick S.E. Cupp.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

CRT, as has been noted by sunny many times, is not being taught in elementary and high schools.  People are complaining about things like our history of slavery, civil rights, social/equal  justice and calling them CRT because it makes conservatives nervous.

I don't think that it is as straightforward as Sunny suggests. It isn't that those topics have never been covered and discussed in schools before. In the past year, schools have made efforts to prioritize more extensive "diversity, inclusion, equity, and anti-racism" training for educators and administrators so that they can put this training into place in schools. School districts may not say that they are implementing "CRT" by name but if they utilize materials and plans that emphasize CRT principles in a kind of "CRT-lite" curriculum it isn't really much of a difference.

Something like this from Washington State illustrates: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/Senate Passed Legislature/5044-S.PL.pdf?q=20210505174831)

I agree with CR's opinion that if CRT-derived materials and lessons are presented clumsily they may not result in the kind of well-rounded, objective lessons that will benefit students of all backgrounds. 

• Love 1

When I was going to school (mid 70s to mid 80s) history was factual.  We were told these things happened.  In high school we did have civics which explained how our government works.  So to now  have history being taught differently in different states and in some cases different school districts is crazy to me.   I'm not sure letting parents (and sometimes it's just a minority of parents)  decide what they want taught or not taught is a good thing.  

12 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

CRT isn't even being taught in public schools, it's just a talking point guise for them to push erasure of Black history, women's history, LGBT history, and Native American history.

Yes it is a dog whistle.  Much like "war on Christmas".

• Useful 1
  • Love 20

That grey dress looks gorgeous on Ana. I never would have chosen that color for her, but it compliments her complexion, and the cut is sensational on her figure. That's my note from the kiddie pool. I just started watching my recording of today's episode and wanted to comment on it.

From the previous discussion...

On 10/18/2021 at 7:40 PM, Blissfool said:

Do you mean S.E. Cupp?

I liked her, but my favorite so far has been Carly Fiorina.

I liked both of them, but I feel the show is unlikely to choose Fiorina as a co-host (if she'd even want the job, and I'm not sure why she would). I don't really want a fifth host, but could live with S.E. Cupp as the conservative pick. 

On 10/19/2021 at 10:49 PM, Blissfool said:

I don't think it's a matter of "momentarily forgetting" as evidenced by the picture below. Everyone around him is wearing it (if that's not a reminder, what is?). I know I have forgotten my mask before and when I walk out of my car, take a few steps in the parking lot, see people with their mask on, I quickly u-turn it back to my car to get it and put it on. Biden is holding it in his hands. He made a conscious decision about not putting it on until he was well outside the restaurant. And although, I agree that he was most likely safe, I do agree with Sunny that it's a matter of optics.

image.png.93b8d755df06992bcf5f44e52b29d37a.png

I disagree with Sunny on this. For far too long, Democrats and the left in general have played this purity game, even while we all know how horrible the former guy behaved. I'm not holding Joe Biden to some standard the right doesn't even try to maintain. GOP governors have signed legislation preventing school districts from requiring masks. Optics-schmoptics, Sunny.

I also don't think that picture proves anything. JB had the mask in his hands, as you note. It seems to me he obvious to me something distracted him from putting it on.

I also think masks in restaurants mostly amount to hygiene theater. Don't get me wrong. I wear masks indoors, in public (gladly). Since the delta variant emerged, I have stopped eating in restaurants entirely. (I think I dined out 3 times total, after being vaccinated, but before delta became prominent here.)

The thing is, the whole time you're eating at your table, you're not wearing a mask, and you're having conversations. You're not eating in silence. The same holds true for everyone else. Wearing a mask to walk to your table, and walk to the door is little more than show.

Covid is airborne.

People are not masked for 99% of the time they're in a restaurant. Sure, if you have to wait with other people to be seated, it's a good idea to wear a mask. It's an even better idea not to eat in restaurants.

On 10/20/2021 at 11:32 AM, Vanderboom said:

There are many who label truthful accounts of America's inequities as CRT and then protest the way history is taught. Lying about history is not an appropriate protective measure.  Does [Condoleezza Rice] seriously think that 7 year olds have not encountered race yet?

I was pretty much yelling that at my TV, when Rice was on The View.

18 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I suspect that some schools jumped onto the CRT bandwagon before thoroughly reviewing the material and haven't been very good about adjusting it to make it appropriate for their students, which leads to much of the parents' objections.

Schools haven't jumped on the CRT bandwagon. The right has crafted a CRT-strawman. I was so disappointed to hear Secretary Rice serve as their spokesmodel on this issue. 

11 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think that it is as straightforward as Sunny suggests. It isn't that those topics have never been covered and discussed in schools before. In the past year, schools have made efforts to prioritize more extensive "diversity, inclusion, equity, and anti-racism" training for educators and administrators so that they can put this training into place in schools. School districts may not say that they are implementing "CRT" by name but if they utilize materials and plans that emphasize CRT principles in a kind of "CRT-lite" curriculum it isn't really much of a difference.

Something like this from Washington State illustrates: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/Senate Passed Legislature/5044-S.PL.pdf?q=20210505174831)

I agree with CR's opinion that if CRT-derived materials and lessons are presented clumsily they may not result in the kind of well-rounded, objective lessons that will benefit students of all backgrounds. 

None of that is Critical Race Theory, "lite" or otherwise.

It made me sad to hear Secretary Rice say schools are teaching white children that white people are bad (I'm white, btw). She's promoting a lie.

Besides, teaching children that there are benefits to diversity, inclusion, equity, and anti-racism (i.e. not supporting racism) does not teach them that white people are bad.

And while Secretary Rice is not a mother, she is educated enough, and has lived enough that she ought to be able to understand that sometimes kids do unintentionally take home the wrong message from all kinds of lessons (see also math, punctuation, when to use "your" vs. "you're"). Correcting misunderstandings is another way to educate them. There's a reason "we learn from our mistakes" is so often repeated.

Critical Race Theory is a lens through which scholars (not K-12 school kids) view systems (financial, legal, educational, etc.) to determine the ways in which problems have become entrenched. Like any other critical theory, it examines how inequities have become institutionalized. Condoleezza Rice is educated enough to know that. She was being intellectually dishonest.

17 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I wish they would have mentioned that not all moms and grandmas are cooking anymore because they’re working and there are more options for fast food and other restaurants. Also, many people don’t live in the same town as their grandmas. My grandmothers were wonderful cooks, but they lived 8 hours away and I was lucky to see them once or twice a year. 

You don't write. You don't call. Where's the love, Stacey? 😉

• Love 18
51 minutes ago, General Days said:

That grey dress looks gorgeous on Ana. I never would have chosen that color for her, but it compliments her complexion, and the cut is sensational on her figure. 

I loved it too!  And her shoes!!

She looked so good.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, General Days said:

Condoleezza Rice is educated enough to know that. She was being intellectually dishonest.

I don't want to go off topic but just let me say Condoleeza Rice served in the GW Bush administration.  Enough said.

• Love 17

Regarding the death penalty topic: I am against the death penalty,  however my son's father was murdered when my son was 3 years old.  I would have made an exception for that.  My problem with the death penalty is it is not applied equally.  Two different people can commit the same crime and one can be sentenced to death and the other one not.  And I agree with Ana.  How many more children have to be gunned down before something is done?  It is shameful.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, deirdra said:

Didn't Joy say on the View or Rachel Ray's show that she got the recipe off the back of the box of pasta and didn't know what everyone was raving about.

In my humble opinion, the best lasagna is made by following the recipe on the box of lasagna noodles and adding more mozzarella.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2021 at 1:24 PM, Back Atcha said:
  • I don't think Joy or Whoopi ever felt "bad" about being played by men.
  • They seemed to enjoy it every time ... and their current comments are just adding humor to the fun.
  • The SNL skits were great and hold up well...year after year.

Yeah they all for the most part have great senses of humor.  They was only one who walked around with a stick up her ass, and hopefully people can breathe and work easier now that the Big Bad had been slain.  Btw, it was just a report on Tmz about the toxicity ganging up on and ABC strongly defending the show and that she was the problem.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

In my humble opinion, the best lasagna is made by following the recipe on the box of lasagna noodles and adding more mozzarella.  

I'm a bit off bit off-topic, Tinkerbell/ II've been ailin'/recuperatin' and one of my sons asked if I'd like any food to go. I said I'd like a large meatball sub from Subway...and would he ask if they could add a little container of "sauce."  I thought I might need to "dip" my second half the next day. On his own, he asked for "extra mozzarella" (yum)--then asked the maker if he could get "extra sauce in a...." and she said, "Sure."  She poured it all over the sandwich.  It arrived home like some kind of weird casserole.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, General Days said:

I liked both of them, but I feel the show is unlikely to choose Fiorina as a co-host (if she'd even want the job, and I'm not sure why she would). I don't really want a fifth host, but could live with S.E. Cupp as the conservative pick. 

As a candidate for "The View," how many strikes against her as Meghan McCain's "bestie," would S.E. Cupp already have--now that Meghan's audiobook has been reviewed and quoted?

• Love 4
On 10/20/2021 at 12:07 PM, Rainyhawk said:

CR is doing the classic Republican crap.  And please tell her to stop talking over people…she reprimanded sunny at the start and then continued to talk over everyone multiple times.

I tried unsuccessfully to find a GIF of Carol Burnett walking as "Mrs. Wiggins."  Condoleeza's WALK to the panelist desk was cartoon-like.  She might have severe back problems. Still, her painful/mincing steps were entertaining.

• LOL 3
17 hours ago, deirdra said:

Didn't Joy say on the View or Rachel Ray's show that she got the recipe off the back of the box of pasta and didn't know what everyone was raving about.

I don’t know if others heard but she quietly said the secret was finding the best ingredients- sausage, ricotta, etc. 🤷‍♀️  YMMV if this makes enough difference in the taste. 

• Love 4
On 10/19/2021 at 7:38 PM, deirdra said:

Sunny was very careful to point out that she didn't need a sperm donor for IVF.  Her children know who their parents are and what they look like but Sunny thinks it is fine to deny other children the same rights.  And she get all of her pets, even the chickens, from breeders so that she knows their lineages. Every adopted kid I know wanted to know where they come from.  I found my half aunt w/DNA when she was 78 and still wondering who her father was. Both her parents and anyone who would have known the story is long gone, but it has been interesting to see resemblances, likes & dislikes, mannerisms, etc. that we have in common.

Not to mention Sunny is always telling us of HER lineage. It clearly means a lot to her yet she dismisses anyone else who would want to know theirs. 

• Love 2

5 hours ago, General Days said:

I also think masks in restaurants mostly amount to hygiene theater. Don't get me wrong. I wear masks indoors, in public (gladly). Since the delta variant emerged, I have stopped eating in restaurants entirely. (I think I dined out 3 times total, after being vaccinated, but before delta became prominent here.)

The thing is, the whole time you're eating at your table, you're not wearing a mask, and you're having conversations. You're not eating in silence. The same holds true for everyone else. Wearing a mask to walk to your table, and walk to the door is little more than show.

Covid is airborne.

People are not masked for 99% of the time they're in a restaurant. Sure, if you have to wait with other people to be seated, it's a good idea to wear a mask. It's an even better idea not to eat in restaurants.

Agree to disagree. I think he messed up walking out of the restaurant without his mask on. Not because health scare, but because optics, as Sunny mentioned. 

• Love 5

"Meghan McCain told Mary Trump last summer, 'I don’t like family tell-all books, especially when it comes to families with fame and power,' adding, 'What do you say to people like me who think this is just a great way for you to get a paycheck right now?'”  (Daily Beast compilation.)

• Love 14
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I enjoyed Joy recounting how she once dealt with a bully when she was a child this morning (bending their fingers back until they were on their knees). It was an interesting mix with Ana and Whoopi at the table together and Sunny out.

I enjoyed it and imagined that she was illustrating to Meghan what she does to people who bully her usually-Princess got off easy. 

Meghan: (over and over again) I am a tough chick. Nothing bothers me. Nothing triggers me.

Joy: I did not miss you at all-zero.

Meghan: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

As usual MM could not process she interrupted Joy and kept after her not allowing Joy to finish.

All MM wanted to do was fight with Joy as she announced on one of her first days. She wanted her Rosie/Elisabeth meltdown.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I enjoyed it and imagined that she was illustrating to Meghan what she does to people who bully her usually-Princess got off easy. 

Meghan: (over and over again) I am a tough chick. Nothing bothers me. Nothing triggers me.

Joy: I did not miss you at all-zero.

Meghan: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 

Did somebody call for a Whambulance?  🏥🚑🚑🚑

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Debbie looks good. Wow, those clips!  I can’t imagine the cast except for Sara doing that silly stuff.

At least one of the crossover Reps who voted for contempt (Anthony Gonzales of OH) has already announced he will not run again. He’s sick of the death threats to himself and his family. Such a loss of good, honorable people being sacrificed for the DTIOTexP. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Debbie looks good. Wow, those clips!  I can’t imagine the cast except for Sara doing that silly stuff.

At least one of the crossover Reps who voted for contempt (Anthony Gonzales of OH) has already announced he will not run again. He’s sick of the death threats to himself and his family. Such a loss of good, honorable people being sacrificed for the DTIOTexP. 

Anthony Gonzalez is the rep in the county next to mine. I feel sorry for him and his family. They didn't deserve this.

It was great to see Debbie. Those clips were so much fun! I can't see Sunny shearing a sheep on camera. 😂

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

If I’m not mistaken Star used to do some silly stuff.  I remember either baseball or football stunt. Sherri would do anything. 
Is this the first time they didn’t give prices on the VYDeals ? 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Anthony Gonzales is the rep in the county next to mine. I feel sorry for him and his family. They didn't deserve this.

I know him from his days as a Colt. He seems like a good guy. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Anthony Gonzalez is the rep in the county next to mine. I feel sorry for him and his family. They didn't deserve this.

It was great to see Debbie. Those clips were so much fun! I can't see Sunny shearing a sheep on camera. 😂

Loved the clips..they reminded why I used to love the show. They can still,discuss serious topics, but need some levity as well.  I hate this idea that 70% of the show needs to be politics.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I enjoyed Joy recounting how she once dealt with a bully when she was a child this morning (bending their fingers back until they were on their knees). 

I also liked how Sara offered her fingers to Joy to illustrate the procedure, never worrying that Joy would hurt her.  MeAgain would never be that brave.  

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I also liked how Sara offered her fingers to Joy to illustrate the procedure, never worrying that Joy would hurt her.  MeAgain would never be that brave.  

I know right. Some tough chick to not be able to handle a lovable granny nearly 80 years old. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

That really sucks.  The Party is losing yet another good member.  And the threats? Grow the Fuck UP already!  I can't blame him.  Who knows  when the whackjob crosses the line and actually does something?  He's got to think of his family first.  Maybe if he can find a safe place for his family, he can come back. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

If I’m not mistaken Star used to do some silly stuff.  I remember either baseball or football stunt. Sherri would do anything. 
Is this the first time they didn’t give prices on the VYDeals ? 

I didn't notice, but if that's the case, wtf?  How can they make any sales w/o knowing how many days little Susie and little Tommy will have to go without dinner, but Mama's got a new bag

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

I didn't notice, but if that's the case, wtf?  How can they make any sales w/o knowing how many days little Susie and little Tommy will have to go without dinner, but Mama's got a new bag

But really, the most important thing is that Oprah gets richer, isn’t it?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3