Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/18/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Unpopular opinion: I don't get the hate against Eboni Williams, the vitriol against her blows my mind.   She has not said anything that has not been said by others over the years.   

I’ve never seen her until yesterday, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s done nothing to deserve the vitriol. There are real housewives I don’t care for, and sometimes the hate they get is still bananas to me. 

• Love 10

Glad this was the RH's last day. The first two segments about COVID and having a baby felt like a rehash of yesterday's topics. I actually thought the interview and the food segment were the better part of today's show.

Even though it must've felt bad to be played by men on SNL for all those years, I admit those skits made me laugh. Joy's was hilarious, but Kenan Thompson as Whoopi--wearing what often looked like it could've been a mophead?--always made me laugh. Just that visual would kill me.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I agree with Sunny that public figures, including the President, should be mindful of how they appear with and without masks. If you are urging people to wear masks, get vaccinated, etc. then you really should make a major effort to be the best example and not make excuses later.

Maybe I should have watched the entire clip and Psaki's statement. But I'm with Whoopi on this. You eat, get up, and getting ready to leave, but don't mask up the minute you've finished your dessert and/or coffee, but walk out and do it when you leave is considered "bad optics" or deserve finger taunting and accusations of hypocrisy? 

No WAY would a restaurant in DC or anywhere, let unvaccinated people in when the President of the United States will be dining during this pandemic. Or would the public even be allowed in?

Oh, the horror! President Biden wasn't immediately masked up before he left. Where are the pitchforks and torches?

And maybe it's apples and oranges, but none of the ladies are wearing masks while hosting the show, are they? And they're indoors. While the audience is masked up.

And to provide more context, when I go out to eat, like I did this past Sunday after returning from the Ravens game, my friend and I masked up when we entered the door, removed said masks when seated. Ate, paid, and walked to the door before masking up again. Sure, we're not public figures. But whoever said it on the show is right: someone will always be waiting with a camera to take pictures or videos to make the President look like a hypocritical liar, and one who shouldn't be believed or that people should listen to when it comes to this pandemic, based on what was said today.

And again, I agree with Whoopi. What more messaging can he or anyone do? It is simple: Wear a mask indoors; get the vaccine, which will help the country to reach herd immunity so that we can get out of this pandemic. Fucker Carlson and his ilk are vaccinated, no doubt, as Whoopi said, and are fucking liars who lie and twist the truth, so they can just all fuck off.

• Love 19
18 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I agree mountain/molehill re Biden momentarily forgetting his mask. Who hasn’t had an oops moment?  

He is getting more grief for this than someone else who almost never wore a mask.  Clearly different rules for different people.

• Love 17
43 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Glad this was the RH's last day. The first two segments about COVID and having a baby felt like a rehash of yesterday's topics. I actually thought the interview and the food segment were the better part of today's show.

Even though it must've felt bad to be played by men on SNL for all those years, I admit those skits made me laugh. Joy's was hilarious, but Kenan Thompson as Whoopi--wearing what often looked like it could've been a mophead?--always made me laugh. Just that visual would kill me.

IDK if is was a SNL skit, or one they did for a Hween holiday.  It was about all the anger and bitterness at the table, and everyone was blowing up at each other, and there sat Paula next to Whoopi eating popcorn like at the movies, watching and laughing, totally getting into the fighting.  That image stuck with me, everytime i think of it i crack up.  It was bloody hysterical.  I was never a Paula person, but she won me over with that one hahahah 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

IDK if is was a SNL skit, or one they did for a Hween holiday.  It was about all the anger and bitterness at the table, and everyone was blowing up at each other, and there sat Paula next to Whoopi eating popcorn like at the movies, watching and laughing, totally getting into the fighting.  That image stuck with me, everytime i think of it i crack up.  It was bloody hysterical.  I was never a Paula person, but she won me over with that one hahahah 

This one?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I agree mountain/molehill re Biden momentarily forgetting his mask. Who hasn’t had an oops moment?  

exactly. Grow the F* up people.

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I’ve never seen her until yesterday, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s done nothing to deserve the vitriol. There are real housewives I don’t care for, and sometimes the hate they get is still bananas to me. 

Yeah...no.  i didn't really care for her in the list of applicants. I haven't seen her in war so don't know how she is when her back is up against the wall. Does she go high and screechy, or low and demonic lol.  nah.

On 10/18/2021 at 12:38 PM, sugarbaker design said:

It did play and it was rightfully canceled.  They should not give it another go.  It was awful.  One episode's big drama was Whoopi's daughter looking for her purse.

egads...gotcha.  the show about nothing was done already, and successfully i might add.

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Joy, it’s not forgetting to have a baby. It’s waiting and learning too late that you can’t without a whole lot of time, expense, and heartache. It’s not a joke.  Whoopi did have a good point though that this class should not imply that being pregnant is right for everyone. 

I've really been liking this lighter, being more involved, funnier Whoopi. Since the Dark Ages. She makes points i can dig.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Today:

Joy: “So what? Who cares?”

Me:😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ehehehehe you know she will never be able to outrun that.  People will shout it out to her on the street much like anyone in Seinfeld (some more than others ).  She is the epitome of New York. It will have to be on her grave stone. With maybe an addition, it caught her and she cared..

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

This one?

omg yes! Hahahahahahahaha!  You know Aidy is right up there too for a big LOL! She nailed that portrayal (imho).  I can't get past 'the princess of Arizona' w/o losing it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Even though it must've felt bad to be played by men on SNL for all those years, I admit those skits made me laugh.

• I don't think Joy or Whoopi ever felt "bad" about being played by men.
  • They seemed to enjoy it every time ... and their current comments are just adding humor to the fun.
  • The SNL skits were great and hold up well...year after year.
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:
  • They seemed to enjoy it every time ... and their current comments are just adding humor to the fun.

Notice Sunny feeling bad about not being parodied in that sketch...be careful what you wish for! (See: SNL, 10/2/2021)

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Today:

Joy: “So what? Who cares?”

Me:😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

Same here!!!!

I can never see Fred Armisen playing drums on Seth Meyers' show without hearing that line.

🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Whoopi and Joy are comediennes. They get it, and Joy has also gone on the record as how much she loves Fred Armisen's portrayal of her on SNL. They've even posed for pictures together with him in his "Joy garb".

• Love 8
19 hours ago, rwlevin said:

Dear Sunny, 

As someone who is the product of a sperm donor, shut up. You have no idea what it feels likes to not know where you come from, not know who you look like and not know if you have siblings out there in the world. Would you say the same thing about kids who are adopted, that they should just know their medical history? Maybe some men would stop donating but plenty donate saying they would be okay getting contacted when the child turns 18. Let’s just say not knowing where you come from really messes you up.

Sunny was very careful to point out that she didn't need a sperm donor for IVF.  Her children know who their parents are and what they look like but Sunny thinks it is fine to deny other children the same rights.  And she get all of her pets, even the chickens, from breeders so that she knows their lineages. Every adopted kid I know wanted to know where they come from.  I found my half aunt w/DNA when she was 78 and still wondering who her father was. Both her parents and anyone who would have known the story is long gone, but it has been interesting to see resemblances, likes & dislikes, mannerisms, etc. that we have in common.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I'm not sure why "bad" is in quotation marks? But anyway, I think Joy has come across like she's a little self-conscious by it at times like this morning, that it might mean she looked mannish or something. She followed it up by saying she understands they didn't have enough women on SNL until recently to play them all.

For what it's worth, I always thought Kate McKinnon's Joy was weaksauce, which was surprising to me because McKinnon is usually perfect as older female characters. I think it's because most of her older female roles are usually ones who are a bit awkward, stiff, or aloof, which doesn't really describe Joy. Moreover, for me at least, I guess I always get an extra laugh out of men in drag. Tracy Morgan as Star, for example, didn't even have to say anything, just being dressed up like that was enough to send me over the edge.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Notice Sunny feeling bad about not being parodied in that sketch.

Sunny would have complained that the actor was not a Black Latina so SNL probably didn't want to even try.  I think at the time it happened Sunny mentioned they could have paid Maya Rudolf to come back just to play her, but even Maya didn't have the right caucasian mix. As comedians, Whoopi & Joy didn't seem to mind being played by men or different races as long as they're funny (they've been hilarious).  There was an interesting "Finding Your Roots" about Fred Arnisen.  He thought his grandfather was Japanese when in fact he was Korean (during the Japanese occupation of Korea, Fred’s grandfather had attended a Japanese school, changed his name, and took on a Japanese persona then went to Germany to be an entertainer). Maya Rudolph was also on FYR.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
On 10/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, TheGreenKnight said:
On 10/19/2021 at 12:24 PM, Back Atcha said:

I'm not sure why "bad" is in quotation marks?

Because I quoted the comment below and wanted to "emphasize" it.   Also, I love punctuation marks way too much.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:40 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

Even though it must've felt bad to be played by men on SNL for all those years,

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

I don't think it's a matter of "momentarily forgetting" as evidenced by the picture below. Everyone around him is wearing it (if that's not a reminder, what is?). I know I have forgotten my mask before and when I walk out of my car, take a few steps in the parking lot, see people with their mask on, I quickly u-turn it back to my car to get it and put it on. Biden is holding it in his hands. He made a conscious decision about not putting it on until he was well outside the restaurant. And although, I agree that he was most likely safe, I do agree with Sunny that it's a matter of optics.

image.png.93b8d755df06992bcf5f44e52b29d37a.png

Edited by Blissfool
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Unpopular opinion: I don't get the hate against Eboni Williams, the vitriol against her blows my mind.   She has not said anything that has not been said by others over the years.   

I dont understand it either. And the idea that she is anything like Omarosa ( campared to O up thread), is confusing.  Ebony might not be someone's cup of tea but she has never behaved like Omarosa. So to compare the two is baffling. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Cozytea said:
19 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I dont understand it either. And the idea that she is anything like Omarosa ( campared to O up thread), is confusing.  Ebony might not be someone's cup of tea but she has never behaved like Omarosa. So to compare the two is baffling. 

Agree with you both. I actually thought Eboni fit in quite nicely. Even Sunny shared a few laughs with Eboni today.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Mitch McConnell has no shame. He doesn’t care how much of a hypocrite he sounds.

Condie, we can walk and chew gum, care about kitchen table issues as well as your party trying to destroy democracy at the same time. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 21

Good for Joy telling it like it is in regards to education!! They should homeschool their children if they don't want them to learn about the Holocaust, the Trail of Tears, MLK, segregation, etc.

What a shame Sunny got to speak the least on this topic. I think she has much more to add than a born liar like Condoleeza Rice. Pretty rich of people like her to pretend they care about children's "feelings" considering the kind of evil she's done in her life.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 14

I get that no one wants children to internalize prejudice and bias, but I'm surprised by Condoleezza Rice's priorities.  Critical Race Theory is a graduate-level concept, but there is a widespread mischaracterization of what it is, what it means, and what it includes.  There are many who label truthful accounts of America's inequities as CRT and then protest the way history is taught. Lying about history is not an appropriate protective measure.  Does she seriously think that 7 year olds have not encountered race yet?

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
14 hours ago, geekburger said:

I think Whoopi pressure to say something profound and most of the time it comes out nonsensical and contrarian.

It's interesting to read the comments about Whoopie here (many that I've agreed with) and then listen to their behind the scenes podcast.  In the Nicole Wallace interview she continually said that Whoopie was one of the more insightful political minds that she's known.  That she saw and understood things before others.  Several prior cohosts have also commented on how well she moderates and that they always felt safe at the table because she was so good at taking the pressure off it things were getting too difficult.  Said that there's a reason that she's been doing it for so long. Go figure!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

She may be out of politics but continues to promote rep misinformation and scare tactics. 

Sounds like her entire tenure in the Bush administration.

1 minute ago, Rainyhawk said:

It's interesting to read the comments about Whoopie here (many that I've agreed with) and then listen to their behind the scenes podcast.  In the Nicole Wallace interview she continually said that Whoopie was one of the more insightful political minds that she's known.  That she saw and understood things before others.  Several prior cohosts have also commented on how well she moderates and that they always felt safe at the table because she was so good at taking the pressure off it things were getting too difficult.  Said that there's a reason that she's been doing it for so long. Go figure!

I believe that is called sucking up.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
On 10/19/2021 at 8:53 AM, Pearson80 said:

I don't hate her. Frankly, I'd never heard of her before she appeared on this show. Because I don't watch Trashy Reality Television shows. The only reality shows I've watched (and I stopped years ago), was Dancing With the Stars and American Idol.

I just found her very condescending on Monday. She was slightly better yesterday. But I've criticized others who have been worse over the years or who have said the same things. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

I get that no one wants children to internalize prejudice and bias, but I'm surprised by Condoleezza Rice's priorities.  Critical Race Theory is a graduate-level concept, but there is a widespread mischaracterization of what it is, what it means, and what it includes.  There are many who label truthful accounts of America's inequities as CRT and then protest the way history is taught. Lying about history is not an appropriate protective measure.  Does she seriously think that 7 year olds have not encountered race yet?

Regarding the bolded: Totally agree. It's ridiculous. Even I remember, at that age, my fellow classmates who were African American, encountered this. I encountered it as being the only one of my race in my elementary school and suffered bullying and getting beat up by kids just because I was different. So Rice can just take several seats.

And that's all I can say because going further would be off topic.

7 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

Like @ifionlyknew stated, they're all sucking up.

That said, when it's a topic that Whoopi knows a lot about, like racism and abortion--she can be very clear and insightful. But those are far and few in between.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Condolezza Rice has been defensive since the jump.  I’m finding her off putting.

I changed the channel as soon as I saw her.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 10/19/2021 at 7:53 AM, Pearson80 said:

It's cuz she's black.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rainyhawk said:

Maybe it was Opposite Day.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Mitch McConnell has no shame. He doesn’t care how much of a hypocrite he sounds.

Personal opinion - In my mind, your sentence should read: Mitch McConnell has no shame. He doesn’t care how much of a hypocrite he sounds is.

• Love 16

47 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Well, it’s official.  I don’t like Condoleezza Rice.

I wasn't a fan, but I did respect her intellect.    

But I did lose a bit of that respect with her insistence that the CRT backlash is not at least partially parents wanting to whitewash history. You just have to look at the text of the laws passed or at a few videos of the under educated parents at school board members.   

As the political scientist and academic she claims to be, she should be very familiar on how history gets written and the gaps and biases therin.

Sarah didn't really help with her list of what I guess was examples of white people being victims of CRT.    But it was just a bunch of headlines with no specifics.   I'm guessing there is a ton of nuance missing from those headlines.   

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Maybe it was Opposite Day.

Bizarro world!

3 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

I wish they'd address the venom SWMNBN is spewing on the show this week but I'm sure they won't. 

I thought i saw some chatter, either in her own topic, or the media topic.  Might have been small talk..!

ohmygoodness, i was silently pleading to Whoopi not to say 'come back anytime'.  phew glad she heard me.

7 minutes ago, Rightside said:

It seems she stopped with all the fake hair.  Not sure what happened today!!

Might have been too damaging for her hair

• LOL 2

Well, Rice proved herself as another who kept talking over others who had a different opinion about what they were discussing. She would NOT let Sunny speak her piece or opinion! She can stay away as well. 

Whoopi, Sunny, and Joy are right-ALL history should be taught. This nonsense about how six and seven years old shouldn’t be because it will make them feel bad is bullshit. Unless teachers are signaling out those kids and telling them they’re worthless-they are also responsible for what Whites did in the past, even if they weren’t their ancestors; or minorities for being enslaved, whose people were victims of genocide. 

I think Whoopi was glad to go to commercial. Rice just kept yapping even as my television faded to black.

So like I stated up thread: Ms. Rice can take several-no, scratch that-she can take a gazillion seats. And I would say the same thing to anyone else who says the same thing.

• Love 17

Don’t like CR…more talking over.  And sunny is totally right about the history and teaching part.  And CR is wrong because there are many school districts and parents who don’t want the uncomfortable parts of history taught.  They want it glossed over.  And Whoopie is right too that it can be taught without making young white kids feel bad about themselves.  CR is doing the classic Republican crap.  And please tell her to stop talking over people…she reprimanded sunny at the start and then continued to talk over everyone multiple times.  I’m hoping hashes not auditioning and is just a special guest co host!  

• Love 9

How many more guests co-hosts are up? As I keep saying, the show needs to get a 20-something woman (in keeping with Barbara Walters' original vision) who is not a pundit!! How about a designer, a chef, something that is not so totally tied in with politics?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

something that is not so totally tied in with politics?

I wish this would happen but I am betting it won't.  We'll be lucky if they don't find someone as bad as McCain but I'm sure it will be someone on the right politically who will generate headlines.  Sadly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1