Type keyword(s) to search

Daria - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

There is a YT account called Daria Fan Channel, that posts clips of the show.

The whole series is on Paramount+ and I own all of the DVDs (including the two movies).  So my sadness isn't so much about not being able to watch the old episodes but more about wanting to immerse myself into that universe again and seeing the characters* in new situations. 

*I should add the caveat that I would want all of the characters back except Tom.  He sucks.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Aww, I didn't mind Tom. But I know that is a minority opinion. LOL! I tend to think Daria today is very much like her Aunt Amy.

I don't mind Tom as much when he is more of a background character.  And I honestly would have been okay if his character arc was a few episodes as Jane's boyfriend.  But I hated when he became Daria's boyfriend and the resulting falling out between Daria and Jane.  I get that this sort of situation happens with teenage girls but Daria and Jane's friendship and banter was such a bedrock for the show.  So losing that really impacted the show (for me).  To this day, I cringe watching "I Loathe a Parade" because that's when Daria clearly starts to like Tom.

Edited by zenithwit
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

I don't mind Tom as much when he is more of a background character.  And I honestly would have been okay if his character arc was a few episodes as Jane's boyfriend.  But I hated when he became Daria's boyfriend and the resulting falling out between Daria and Jane.  I get that this sort of situation happens with teenage girls but Daria and Jane's friendship and banter was such a bedrock for show.  So losing that really impacted the show (for me).  To this day, I cringe watching "I Loathe a Parade" because that's when Daria clearly starts to like Tom.

Oh, I get why Tom is hated. I liked the Jane/Daria friendship, too! Still, as you said, Daria liking her BFF's boyfriend is - for good or bad - a relatable real issue for teen girls. Since the show never shied away from realism before, I can see why it went there. Maybe that's why it never bothered me too much. And...I liked Daria/Tom. Still, as I said, I do get why others did not. All good!

• Love 2
On 7/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, Brn2bwild said:

The second is the portrayal of Daria's parents.  Some of this is influenced by my dealings with the '90s/2000s fandom (male-dominated, surprisingly).  They treated Jake like a poor sad flower being constantly trodden by his horrible overbearing wife.  Personally I hated Jake and thought he was mostly useless, though I don't know if I would have felt so strongly about him if he hadn't been so, so loved by male fans who projected their own woes onto him.  The show seems more neutral toward Jake and generally portrays Helen as sharp, but even the show can't resist flogging the stereotype of "overdriven, ambitious woman who neglects her family for her own needs," which was a thing in the '80s and '90s.  (Helen's Hillary Clinton hair was no coincidence.)  Today, Helen's work wouldn't be as big a deal, and I think Jake's neglect would either not be as prevalent, or would be called out more.

Not disagreeing with you but at least the show gave them a relatively healthy sex life. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

‘Daria’ Spinoff ‘Jodie’ Now an Animated Film, Sets Main Cast Including Pamela Adlon, William Jackson Harper, Kal Penn (EXCLUSIVE)

Daria-Jodie-and-Mack.jpg?q=50&fit=contai

The new Daria spinoff animated film for MTV will center around Daria’s good friend Jodie Landon, an African American character from the original series. Follow her as she comes into her own and enters the workplace in her first post-college job in tech. Other former students from Lawndale High School will also appear.

Tracee Ellis Ross will play Jodie, the iconic character from “Daria.” Fresh from college graduation and full of ambition, Jodie heads to the big city for a prestigious internship at tech behemoth, Firstfinity.

Pamela Adlon will play Jocelyn Light, the trailblazing VP of Internet Affairs at FirstFinity whom Jodie reveres.

Cole Escola will play Ryan, Jodie’s intern friend at Firstfinity who is allergic to earnestness.

Jojo T. Gibbs will play Tiffany, who has swag for weeks, lives in Jodie’s building and is Cas’ ex.

William Jackson Harper will play Mack, Jodie’s witty and supportive high school sweetheart from the original “Daria” series.

Zosia Mamet will play Greta, a beachy-waved, self-proclaimed empath and Jodie’s fellow intern at Firstfinity.

Alex Moffat will play Barry, the overeager internship coordinator at Firstfinity who, despite being in his 50s, desperately tries to be Gen-Z cool.

Dermot Mulroney will play Lionel, the powerful and charming CEO of Firstfinity.

Arden Myrin will play Britney, the former Lawndale cheerleader from Daria turned influencer at FirstFinity.

Kal Penn will play Sandeep, another fellow intern who is a fitness-obsessed, tech bro.

Kofi Siriboe will play Raymond, Jodie’s incredibly handsome, but not-so-friendly supervisor at Firstfinity.

Dulcé Sloan will play Cas, Jodie’s fun-loving best friend from college and new roommate. A finance genius and social butterfly, Cas plays as hard as she grinds.

Helene Yorke will play Nia, Jodie’s brown-nosing, fellow intern who will do whatever it takes to get ahead.

1057226-jodieheadshotsv1-3-1280.jpg?itok

Edited by AnimeMania
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

‘Daria’ Spinoff ‘Jodie’ Now an Animated Film, Sets Main Cast Including Pamela Adlon, William Jackson Harper, Kal Penn (EXCLUSIVE)

Daria-Jodie-and-Mack.jpg?q=50&fit=contai

The new Daria spinoff animated film for MTV will center around Daria’s good friend Jodie Landon, an African American character from the original series. Follow her as she comes into her own and enters the workplace in her first post-college job in tech. Other former students from Lawndale High School will also appear.

Tracee Ellis Ross will play Jodie, the iconic character from “Daria.” Fresh from college graduation and full of ambition, Jodie heads to the big city for a prestigious internship at tech behemoth, Firstfinity.

Pamela Adlon will play Jocelyn Light, the trailblazing VP of Internet Affairs at FirstFinity whom Jodie reveres.

Cole Escola will play Ryan, Jodie’s intern friend at Firstfinity who is allergic to earnestness.

Jojo T. Gibbs will play Tiffany, who has swag for weeks, lives in Jodie’s building and is Cas’ ex.

William Jackson Harper will play Mack, Jodie’s witty and supportive high school sweetheart from the original “Daria” series.

Zosia Mamet will play Greta, a beachy-waved, self-proclaimed empath and Jodie’s fellow intern at Firstfinity.

Alex Moffat will play Barry, the overeager internship coordinator at Firstfinity who, despite being in his 50s, desperately tries to be Gen-Z cool.

Dermot Mulroney will play Lionel, the powerful and charming CEO of Firstfinity.

Arden Myrin will play Britney, the former Lawndale cheerleader from Daria turned influencer at FirstFinity.

Kal Penn will play Sandeep, another fellow intern who is a fitness-obsessed, tech bro.

Kofi Siriboe will play Raymond, Jodie’s incredibly handsome, but not-so-friendly supervisor at Firstfinity.

Dulcé Sloan will play Cas, Jodie’s fun-loving best friend from college and new roommate. A finance genius and social butterfly, Cas plays as hard as she grinds.

Helene Yorke will play Nia, Jodie’s brown-nosing, fellow intern who will do whatever it takes to get ahead.

1057226-jodieheadshotsv1-3-1280.jpg?itok

I'm a bit confused here. So this is no longer a series, just a single film?

On another note, I hope the animation style won't change too drastically.

30 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm a bit confused here. So this is no longer a series, just a single film?

On another note, I hope the animation style won't change too drastically.

Yes, it went from a TV Series about Daria and Jodie, to a TV Series about Jodie, to a movie about  Jodie.

• Useful 1
On 5/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, AnimeMania said:

Yes, it went from a TV Series about Daria and Jodie, to a TV Series about Jodie, to a movie about  Jodie.

If Jodie deserved a spinoff, it should have been over 20 years ago.  They missed the boat.  Given the choice, I'd rather see Daria.  However, I have such happy memories of the original show, I'd be worried the current Hollywood types would ruin it.