Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E03: Hotter Than Hell

Bort
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, marceline said:

I wholeheartedly agree about the reluctance to have more children. I say that as a childfree woman myself. But have we seen Amelia and Linc talk about it? If they did, I missed it which is entirely possible. Shows I watched during COVID are all kind of a blur.

I remember Linc telling Amelia he wanted more kids, and then Amelia freaking out and telling her AA meeting she didn't want more kids. I don't remember her telling Linc that, just that she didn't want marriage. Maybe I am forgetting, or it may have happened offscreen. But this is Amelia, so maybe she really never told him that part.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It was great to have Addison back, but it was weird that she got teary over Derek but didn't even mention Mark. 

Funny, my first thought was she was upset over Mark.  Then I realized it was the other guy.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:57 PM, ams1001 said:

There is a mild form; she could have that.

Spina bifida occulta

"Occulta" means hidden. It's the mildest and most common type. Spina bifida occulta results in a small separation or gap in one or more of the bones of the spine (vertebrae). Many people who have spina bifida occulta don't even know it, unless the condition is discovered during an imaging test done for unrelated reasons.

More likely they just decided to drop it. Or forgot about it.

They forgot.  They conveniently forget things when they no longer work in the plot.

Not quite so topical this episode, so I enjoyed it much better than the last.  Nice seeing Addison back, but damn, Kate Walsh has some facial expressions that really irritate me.  I did like her and Meredith bonding over the interns' speculations.

I, too, think they're leading to Amelia and the non-binary doctor getting together.  It was too random a scene not to be integral to a future plotline.  

I can't remember why can't Meredith tell people what she's working on, only that it's Minnesota.  won't people figure it out?

Just now, KaveDweller said:

I remember Linc telling Amelia he wanted more kids, and then Amelia freaking out and telling her AA meeting she didn't want more kids. I don't remember her telling Linc that, just that she didn't want marriage. Maybe I am forgetting, or it may have happened offscreen. But this is Amelia, so maybe she really never told him that part.

I'm pretty sure she did tell him.  But again, she never wanted kids after the first pregnancy, which broke up her marriage to Owen.  So she could change her mind.  Again.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, madmax said:

I'm pretty sure she did tell him.  But again, she never wanted kids after the first pregnancy, which broke up her marriage to Owen.  So she could change her mind.  Again.

I keep forgetting that Amelia was married to Owen. Those two didn't make an ounce of sense as a couple.

As someone said earlier, Amelia and Linc are basically Cristina and Owen 2.0. They had their run but they can't be together unless one of them becomes a completely different person.

• Love 4
On 10/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, taanja said:

Friends of mine have a son with Spina Bifida -- he has had many health issues and yes- he is wheelchair bound.

I figure Grey's gave Zola Spina Bifida in the beginning because DRAMA! and didn't Derek operate on her and obviously preform a miracle surgery that "cured" her? Cuz ever since she has been a perfectly normal child.

I was never a huge Addison fan when she was on the show and I never watched that other show she was on. I did enjoy Mere and Addie in the elevator and later at Mere's casa. I even laughed at the throwaway line about Ellis upstairs -- she's moody like her mother. Ha!

The interns didn't bug me and I liked them speculating on a threesome/foursome in the good old days!  See how easily rumors start! It will be all over the hospital by evening that Meredith Grey made Addison Montgomery cry in the elevator.

I don't care about Teddy or Owen.

Why did Jo quite surgery? I don't get her story at all - and her hair is atrocious!

I don't care about Teddy or Owen.

Why did Jo quite surgery? I don't get her story at all - and her hair is atrocious!

same for both.  They never know what to do with Jo.  

• Love 2
Just now, Addaiya said:

Addison staying for the season will somewhat make up for Helm and Glasses. Not a lot. But somewhat. 

That reminds me...I'm beyond done with Helm and her infatuation with Meredith. It's not cute or charming. In fact, after all this time I find it creepy. I'm ready for her to go. She reminds me of Tina Majorino's Heather Brooks. I didn't care about her either except for how her death almost took out Webber too.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting. Already started to see it last week. 

I was just coming here to post this. I also thought that there was a spark between the doctor in Minnesota and Amelia. I hope they are not going to blow up Link/Amelia for this. Pair that doctor with another character. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Is she staying for the whole season? I thought Kate Walsh was only back for a few episodes.

I had read 2 episodes but I can't find the article now.

ETA: Here's the article but take with a grain of salt. Not being confirmed anywhere else that I see. https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/greys-anatomy-how-long-addison-montgomery-back-kate-walsh-episodes-fans-watch-season-18.html/

That reminds me...I'm beyond done with Helm and her infatuation with Meredith. It's not cute or charming. In fact, after all this time I find it creepy. I'm ready for her to go.

Agreed. She's practically a stalker. She's been on the show for years and her creepy attachment to Meredith is her only defining character trait. Time to move on.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, dshgr said:

My husband and I are old, and neither of us think Linc is right.  Marriage doesn't really mean anything anymore, as so many people divorce.  We also don't understand why it has to be marriage or break up.  Why can't he leave it alone and just be happy to be together. 

If someone would like to explain his side WITHOUT bringing religion into it, I'd like to hear it.

I say this as somebody who is an athiest who is not Amelia opposed to marriage but isn't particularly invested in marriage as a goal either, Link feels like he needs the commitment and stability a marriage, in his mind, would provide.  And while that isn't an issue for me it gets to be an issue for him.  

And his feeling likehe needs to be married isn't terribly less valid than Amelia's feeling like she needs to not be married, I don't think they are done, done but I do think they are both going to evolve what they need while Amelia is away perusing something with the new doc.

• Love 6

It was great to have Addison back, but it was weird that she got teary over Derek but didn't even mention Mark. And I would have loved to have seen at least a picture of 8-year-old Henry, since Addison adopting him was such a big storyline on PP.

Or at least mention Henry. Is she still married to Dr. Jake (Ben Bratt)? I need to know! And, please, Derek isn't worth getting that upset about. Rewatching Grey's, I can't stand him even more. I totally thought she was upset about Mark.

Yes, that seems to be the path with Amelia and them. I definitely love her and Linc. It might just take time.

I think we need a whole new set of interns. These are overdone. Especially Helm. I kinda like Schmidt. He and Jo are OK, because he makes her palatable. 

The good Addison & Amelia parts aren't worth watching the rest of Private Practice for - unless you totally love Taye Diggs.

• Love 5

Or at least mention Henry. Is she still married to Dr. Jake (Ben Bratt)? I need to know! And, please, Derek isn't worth getting that upset about. Rewatching Grey's, I can't stand him even more. I totally thought she was upset about Mark.

She said her son was 8 so that was a bit of a Henry mention. I hope she's still married to Jake. Maybe she'll talk with Amelia more and we will find out next week. 

We saw Addison react to Mark's death on Private Practice. Since Private Practice ended before Derek died we never saw her acknowledge it. I didn't mind her being upset here. They were married 11 years, he died suddenly and it's the first time she was back to somewhere she associates with him. UO: I wish she had the moment with Amelia instead of Meredith. Addison has a long history with Amelia and they have a close relationship. 

• Love 4

I feel like the show is reading my posts and has decided to try to make me hate Helm more than Glasses. Isn't happening. Why?

1. as pointed out by many, Glasses is so awful. Please kill his character. You can make it part of some dramatic episode. I won't complain (that much) when characters pretend to care deeply about his loss.

2. I can despise more than one resident. Helm's Grey obsession is just weird. It's not cute. It was at most something she could have mentioned once or twice (" I really came here because I wanted to learn from Dr. Grey"). To keep doing it--and for that basically to be the only thing she does it just awful. And they decided to make it beyond awful by having her recite Meredith's resume in the middle of surgery. In real life, Meredith would have gotten that restraining order years ago. 

• Love 9
On 10/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, dshgr said:

My husband and I are old, and neither of us think Linc is right.  Marriage doesn't really mean anything anymore, as so many people divorce.  We also don't understand why it has to be marriage or break up.  Why can't he leave it alone and just be happy to be together. 

If someone would like to explain his side WITHOUT bringing religion into it, I'd like to hear it.

Right! That is another story line I am not really understanding. Why is it marriage or nothing? The whole set up comes across as weird and makes Linc look like a demanding dick.

• Love 2

I was pleased to see that the writers remembered that Link's dream in life is to cure Parkinsons, and Amelia remembers too. But somehow that's going to end badly for them. I hope I'm wrong and once they can reveal what's happening in Minnesota they will ask him to join them. That can bring Link and Amelia back together, too. 

Didn't Amelia and the non-binary doctor go to school together? Someone knew them already, and I think it was Amelia. I didn't get the impression that Amelia is attracted to them in any way more than professionally, but they definitely flirted with Amelia.

I'm curious how this will play out, but Amelia better not screw Link over more than she already has. She needs to fix it. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I was pleased to see that the writers remembered that Link's dream in life is to cure Parkinsons, and Amelia remembers too. But somehow that's going to end badly for them. I hope I'm wrong and once they can reveal what's happening in Minnesota they will ask him to join them. That can bring Link and Amelia back together, too. 

Didn't Amelia and the non-binary doctor go to school together? Someone knew them already, and I think it was Amelia. I didn't get the impression that Amelia is attracted to them in any way more than professionally, but they definitely flirted with Amelia.

I'm curious how this will play out, but Amelia better not screw Link over more than she already has. She needs to fix it. 

I’m not exactly sure how Amelia has screwed Link over, or how she’s supposed to fix it - he wants to get married and she doesn’t; they want different things, it’s nobodies fault and not immediately fixable.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, PrincessTT said:

I’m not exactly sure how Amelia has screwed Link over, or how she’s supposed to fix it - he wants to get married and she doesn’t; they want different things, it’s nobodies fault and not immediately fixable.

Professionally, he doesn't know it yet - she's participating in his dream research without him being invited or even knowing what she's doing yet. I'm saying that if she handles this well, she won't end up screwing him over. 

Personally, can't she give him the pledge of commitment that he wants without the actual marriage? Neither one seems to have mentioned that - it's all or nothing for both of them. Wouldn't that be a great compromise? They're both to blame for their personal lives.  Amelia isn't 100% innocent and Link isn't 100% wrong... Yes, she told him multiple times how she feels and he pushed it, but these two are horrible communicators. 

• Love 2

I finally watched.  I can understand Addie breaking up like that, over Derek.  It might have been over a decade since she last saw him (I think), but she was still married to him, still a member of his family for years, before he ever met Meredith. She moved to Seattle, because of Derek.   They left it on good terms, as far as I can recall.  I had totally forgotten that Amelia was on Private Practice, and that they were already family before that (I binged PP last year, over the summer).  

I doubt they will put Linc with Jo.  He’s upset and telling people that he’s in love with Amelia.  Amelia is reminding Meredith that this is his dream, that they’re working on.  

Edited by Anela
  • Love 5

I truly believe this is the worst crop of interns/residents we’ve ever had on this show. They’re annoying, creepy, unfunny, and bad at their jobs. Nothing they do is endearing because they are caricatures of actual people. They all have the personality of a dial tone.

Helm needs to be reported to HR — I know, I know. HR doesn’t exist at this hospital. If Grey isn’t careful, she’s going to find that Helm traveled to Minnesota to burn down her precious Parkinson’s lab to keep her in Seattle seven days a week.

I wouldn’t trust Glasses with a butter knife, much less a scalpel. Also, as someone upthread mentioned, presenting  a patient isn’t just reading their chart! If that’s the case, then I, too, am a resident. Call me Dr. PepSinger. 

This show is so ridiculous. There is no way that an attending neonatal surgeon who is double board certified would ask an OB/GYN resident to get her a cup of coffee instead of inviting her to watch the surgery and ask her what her interest is in her field. IN. WHAT. WORLD.

That being said, welcome back, Addison. I missed you. I remember the days of the GA/PP crossovers that were good and weren’t done on a weekly basis with a far inferior show. I miss those days. I adored all of her scenes, especially the ones with Meredith and Amelia. She felt like a real person. I’d ask that she return full time, but that seems to be the kiss of death with characters that I like since they seem to become unrecognizable once that happens (i.e. Koracick). 

I hate this Amelia/Linc storyline because I find it to be contrived bullshit. It feels as though they needed controversy, so they made Amelia into some sort of flighty person that’ll change her mind on a dime. If I were Linc, I would be scared to marry her. She may walk into the kitchen one day asking for a divorce because she decided that she no longer believes in marriage.

Honestly? This episode wasn’t bad at all. It’s the residents that ruin it for me.

Edited by PepSinger
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

I forgot about the residents/interns. They annoyed me, too. 

I also didn't understand Addie asking Jo to get her a coffee. That reminded me of something Mark did, with Alex and Izzie. I thought she scolded him for it. 

Edited by Anela
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, PepSinger said:

This show is so ridiculous. There is no way that an attending neonatal surgeon who is double board certified would ask an OB/GYN resident to get her a cup of coffee instead of inviting her to watch the surgery and ask her what her interest is in her field. IN. WHAT. WORLD.

Don't get me started! How bout Linc and Teddy intending to "fix" the electrical grid or whatever they were attempting to do. I mean - seriously.  That scene was so ridiculous my eyes practically rolled right of my head.

I know! I know! They have world class surgeons meeting ambulances in the ambulance bay! Hell I think over the years I have seen them draw blood/shave a patients head/ mop the floors! << World. Class. Surgeons!  doing the grunt work!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I hate this Amelia/Linc storyline because I find it to be contrived bullshit. It feels as though they needed controversy, so they made Amelia into some sort of flighty person that’ll change her mind on a dime. If I were Linc, I would be scared to marry her. She may walk into the kitchen one day asking for a divorce because she decided that she no longer believes in marriage.

Amelia has always been flighty.  They blamed it on her brain tumor initially, but I think it's her underlying personality.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, madmax said:

Amelia has always been flighty.  They blamed it on her brain tumor initially, but I think it's her underlying personality.

Amelia is the youngest of five who, as a child, saw her father murdered in front of her. She became a respected neurosurgeon, but was dismissed by her talented but distant older siblings. She became addicted to drugs but worked her way into maintaining sobriety. She saw a man she loved die of a drug overdose and endured a full term pregnancy, knowing the child could not survive beyond a few days so she could donate his organs to other children. Her beloved older brother died in an accident and she had no opportunity to say good-bye to him. She had a wedding which her mother and other siblings did not attend because they disapproved. She discovered she was suffering from a brain tumor which could kill her or deprive her of her ability to perform her livelihood and underwent major surgery. She had a tumultuous marriage which ended in divorce.  She had an unexpected pregnancy which she also carried to full term, not knowing who the father was.  She spent the pandemic unable to perform surgery, taking care of a new born and three other children while her supportive sister-in-law was on the edge of death from COVID. IRL, she would be in therapy for the rest of her life. In the Grey's Universe, she attends an occasional NA meeting. She is many things and she is far from my favorite character, but I don't think she is flighty.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Amelia is the youngest of five who, as a child, saw her father murdered in front of her. She became a respected neurosurgeon, but was dismissed by her talented but distant older siblings. She became addicted to drugs but worked her way into maintaining sobriety. She saw a man she loved die of a drug overdose and endured a full term pregnancy, knowing the child could not survive beyond a few days so she could donate his organs to other children. Her beloved older brother died in an accident and she had no opportunity to say good-bye to him. She had a wedding which her mother and other siblings did not attend because they disapproved. She discovered she was suffering from a brain tumor which could kill her or deprive her of her ability to perform her livelihood and underwent major surgery. She had a tumultuous marriage which ended in divorce.  She had an unexpected pregnancy which she also carried to full term, not knowing who the father was.  She spent the pandemic unable to perform surgery, taking care of a new born and three other children while her supportive sister-in-law was on the edge of death from COVID. IRL, she would be in therapy for the rest of her life. In the Grey's Universe, she attends an occasional NA meeting. She is many things and she is far from my favorite character, but I don't think she is flighty.

dear god that reads like a soap opera!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, taanja said:

dear god that reads like a soap opera!

Isn't that what GA is? Frankly, I could do something similar for all the characters who have been on for more than two seasons. They should have a dedicated psychiatrist for the entire surgical staff.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
23 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Isn't that what GA is? Frankly, I could do something similar for all the characters who have been on for more than two seasons. They should have a dedicated psychiatrist for the entire surgical staff.

Right! it's always been a soap opera but when you read it laid out like you did? Oh yeah! It is glaring!

• Love 4

Her brother was also shot in a hospital and survived a plane crash...and her husband's family said he ought to divorce because THEY didn't approve of her. Was outed at work by another person from her NA meeting, helped get the mother of her ex-husband's adopted(?) son into rehab (and helped said ex with his foster now adopted(?) baby)...

• Love 3
On 10/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, taanja said:

Friends of mine have a son with Spina Bifida -- he has had many health issues and yes- he is wheelchair bound.

There are degrees of spina bifida (incomplete closure of the spinal cord).  My husband has it, discovered only when he was an adult.  He has no symptoms and has required no treatment.  FWIW.

• Useful 1