Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E03: Hotter Than Hell

Bort
  • Start Topic

Seattle’s favorite redhead returns and graces the Grey Sloan halls with her experience and expertise as she attempts to help Richard teach the newest crop of residents. Meanwhile, Meredith has a decision to make, and Link confides in Teddy.

Airdate: Thursday, 14 Oct 2021

• Love 1

First of All Addie. I missed you.

2nd of all I would have punched Krista in the face if Addie said she and Jake were over. like tackled her and punched her in the face. Thankfully for Krista's face lol Addie and Jake are good. 

the residents are dumb. can't even with them. 

• Love 13

No, Teddy, no one wants their doctor to show up in a "silly hat" when they're in the hospital. Can we at least pretend to be professionals?

Shut up, Helm. You really think Addison needs a rundown of Mer's resume from you in the middle of surgery? WTF is wrong with you?

Link, you are not qualified for this. In WA state you apparently need an  electrician's license to work in HVAC. You are an orthopedic surgeon. WTF is wrong with you?

Damn you, show. Addison in the elevator got me to tear up.

The residents are not funny. Though Amelia and Addison talking about the rumors they heard was mildly so.

• Love 17

Bailey, if you want to improve moral, first find out why it’s bad. I’ve found that often it’s because the bosses are incompetent. And silly hats are just going to make that worse.

Why does every surgery have to be “ground-breaking”? Maybe just good competent surgeries are enough.

The point of a resident presenting is to have them prepare the case and study up on it. Having Schmitt read from the chart is not the same thing. And like last week, if I saw that Schmidt was doing the surgery, I’d be heading to another hospital.

Linc, you’re the one who broke up with Amelia. She doesn’t need to run her decisions by you what she does when you have Scout. Also, youtube is your friend if you’re trying to fix something. Youtube is your friend.

I just can't with Bailey and McWidower projecting their parenting problems on to the 16 year old patientl and her parents. Maybe her parents really are abusive and that's why she doesn't want them called.

Addison and Amelia missing Derek was sad.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

Wasn't Addison there when they got Zola?  I didn't think she had left for LA yet.

Addie left for LA at the end of season 3 and her last Seattle guest shot was season 7. Zola was adopted in season 8.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

It was so nice to see Addison. And towards the end I was worried she wasn't going to get a scene with Amelia, so that was nice too.

Why does Glasses always get picked for these surgeries? Addison seemed to pick him randomly, and didn't the same thing happen last week? In the old days the residents would be jumping to answer a question correctly first in order to get picked. It would be nice to see some of the other residents shine. They are less annoying.

It must be nice to be able to tell your bosses you are only going to work half the time but you still want to keep your chief title, and presumably your salary. Also, why can Meredith tell Hayes about MN but Amelia can't tell Linc?

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Also, why can Meredith tell Hayes about MN but Amelia can't tell Linc?

Well, one is the sun and the other is her family's butt monkey.

Owen still manages to find someone to badger into doing things his way even after he gets his personal life settled. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It must be nice to be able to tell your bosses you are only going to work half the time but you still want to keep your chief title, and presumably your salary. Also, why can Meredith tell Hayes about MN but Amelia can't tell Linc?

Last week we saw Scout with Link at Jo's house. Do Amelia/Link have any sort of custody agreement/arrangement? (Are they broken up officially?) Because Amelia going to Minnesota one day a week at minimum might pose a problem of some sort.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Last week we saw Scout with Link at Jo's house. Do Amelia/Link have any sort of custody agreement/arrangement? (Are they broken up officially?) Because Amelia going to Minnesota one day a week at minimum might pose a problem of some sort.

They must have an agreement amongst themselves, since we haven't heard them fighting about it. They could set it up so that Amelia goes to Minnesota on days Linc has custody. It would be super convenient for her.

I hope Addison gets to meet Scout too. 

• Love 4

I did enjoy Addison's callback to her first appearance on the show, and the idea that Addison, Meredith, Derek and Christina were having sex parties back in the day.  I have no doubt if the show wasn't on ABC, it would have happened!

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

one is the sun and the other is her family's butt monkey.

Can that please be an episode title, sometime before the show ends?

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Addie left for LA at the end of season 3 and her last Seattle guest shot was season 7.

It's amazing she left that early.  She made such an impact, I thought she was there much longer. 

Edited by LADreamr
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

Can that please be an episode title, sometime before the show ends?

It's amazing she left that early.  She made such an impact, I thought she was there much longer. 

She came back once or maybe twice, yes? Once was when her brother had parasitic worms in his brain (yecccch) and Derek removed them. 

Edited by JeanJean

First: How is it possible that Addison's return was enough to feel the atmosphere of the old greys? I didn't feel it at all when Derek, Georg, Lexi, Mark came back... I just love this woman. 

Something is wrong with Amelia. Why isnt she upset at all because of the breakup? She acts like Link and Scout never existed. It's very unlike her. I remember how sad she was after breaking up with Owen. Should we believe that Link means less for her than Owen?

Interns are dumb. 

Again: I love addison. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LADreamr said:

t's amazing she left that early.  She made such an impact, I thought she was there much longer

I was just thinking this. Maybe because season 2/3 were the show at its best. 

• Love 9

I really didn't realise how much I missed Addison.  The elevator was sweet.  It kind of screamed Derek and Bailey, when they had each others' backs. The ending where Addie met Zola and Bailey was cute as.    

The interns +Helm and Schmidt, they suck.  They lack everything that all the previous interns had.  Helm and her idolisation of Meredith is becoming beyond boring, she needs to move on.  Schmidt is annoying.  Putting him in the surgery was cruel when there was Jo, a whatever she is resident, ready to help and she has far more skills and intelligence than Schmidt and could have her name on the Catherine Fox award as she had to have it removed off Meredith's.

I really like Meredith with McWidow.  I think they are "easy and comfortable" with each other.  

Amelia and Link are just wrong.  They belong together.  Maybe Addison will help them reunite?  Maybe I am dreaming. 

Teddy, what were you thinking?  Beanies in a heatwave?  Mental! 

Winston and Owen doing a kidney transplant in Ben's mobile hospital was clever, and I love how the patient kept trying to find a partner.  

I can't believe Meredith hasn't told Bailey about her new job yet, I would have thought that would be a priority, considering the hospital are down so many staff.  Knowing how Grey's goes, Richard will probably spill the beans before Meredith does and then we will have to deal with Bailey feeling angry at Meredith, blah, blah, blah.  

I wonder how long Addie will stay for?  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Helm and her idolisation of Meredith is becoming beyond boring,

It's creepy and unprofessional. Not that I expect the latter from any of these people (see: silly hat day).

10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Why does Glasses always get picked for these surgeries?

He's the new sun? (Though didn't he win the surgery last week by beating everyone at the video game skills lab exercise?)

• Love 4
11 hours ago, LADreamr said:

It probably helped that her character had her own spin off series for six seasons. 

I rolled my eyes at Teddy and Link thinking they could fix the HVAC themselves.  These are complicated systems people! 

• Love 6

Good on Grey's for referencing the Seattle heat dome. This is going to be one of those episodes people in the future will look back at and think we were just barely aware of the climate hellscape headed our way. Kind of the way I look at scenes of people in airports on shows taped before 9/11.

It was nice to see Addison again especially since she didn't bring any other drama with her besides medical. I liked Addison meeting the kids and that nice rainbow dinner they were all having.

Question about Zola: wasn't she born with Spina Bifida? Is that something you can outgrow? I had an online friend who had it and she was confined to a wheelchair.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, marceline said:

Question about Zola: wasn't she born with Spina Bifida? Is that something you can outgrow? I had an online friend who had it and she was confined to a wheelchair.

She had a stent put in as a teeny baby, and Koracik fixed it once she outgrew the original stent. I guess this keeps her SB manageable. 

I loved seeing Addison. It felt like a warm hug. She's the reason I ever watched Greys (I started backwards, I watched Private Practice first and then gave Greys a chance just for more Addison scenes)

• Love 8

They are trying SO HARD to make Glasses happen. The actor must be loved by TPTB because the character is awful and I have yet to see anyone online clamoring for more of him.

Was so wonderful to have Addison back. Loved her intro. Loved her and Mer in the elevator - not just for a good moment between the two characters but as a callback to all the past elevator scenes too. Weird that she seemingly wasn't back for Derek's funeral to meet the kids then, but appreciated getting to see it now. I think it felt more like Old School Grey's because they had her in the hospital instead of on Dead Throwback Beach.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I cried, Meredith being empathethic and there for Addison.  Meredith has changed.

Winston helping the kidney patient.

More of this Grey's.  Yes the world is terrible, but audiences need to see some actual hope

• Love 11
2 hours ago, marceline said:

Friends of mine have a son with Spina Bifida -- he has had many health issues and yes- he is wheelchair bound.

I figure Grey's gave Zola Spina Bifida in the beginning because DRAMA! and didn't Derek operate on her and obviously preform a miracle surgery that "cured" her? Cuz ever since she has been a perfectly normal child.

I was never a huge Addison fan when she was on the show and I never watched that other show she was on. I did enjoy Mere and Addie in the elevator and later at Mere's casa. I even laughed at the throwaway line about Ellis upstairs -- she's moody like her mother. Ha!

The interns didn't bug me and I liked them speculating on a threesome/foursome in the good old days!  See how easily rumors start! It will be all over the hospital by evening that Meredith Grey made Addison Montgomery cry in the elevator.

I don't care about Teddy or Owen.

Why did Jo quite surgery? I don't get her story at all - and her hair is atrocious!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, taanja said:

I figure Grey's gave Zola Spina Bifida in the beginning because DRAMA! and didn't Derek operate on her and obviously preform a miracle surgery that "cured" her? Cuz ever since she has been a perfectly normal child.

There is a mild form; she could have that.

Spina bifida occulta

"Occulta" means hidden. It's the mildest and most common type. Spina bifida occulta results in a small separation or gap in one or more of the bones of the spine (vertebrae). Many people who have spina bifida occulta don't even know it, unless the condition is discovered during an imaging test done for unrelated reasons.

More likely they just decided to drop it. Or forgot about it.

18 minutes ago, taanja said:

I even laughed at the throwaway line about Ellis upstairs -- she's moody like her mother. Ha!

I laughed at that one, too. 

18 minutes ago, taanja said:

Why did Jo quite surgery?

She got baby fever caring for Luna and took it too far? She wanted a "happier" specialty, or something. (Because there are no tragedies in obstetrics, right? I'd think it'd be that much harder when things go wrong in that department.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I think Zola came to the US for a surgery to help/cure her spina bifida. Derek did it and then he and later Meredith fell in love with her.

40 minutes ago, taanja said:

Why did Jo quite surgery? I don't get her story at all - and her hair is atrocious!

One day Jo had to deliver a baby or maybe two and it made her happy. She said that she was going to change to OB because she wanted something happy. Yeah, like there aren't tragedies in OB/GYN.

And her hair really is atrocious.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

It could be a very frustrating show, but Kate Walsh was great! 

Oh yes, love her so much.  I'll take her for as long as we can have her back on Grey's.  I wish they hadn't spoiled her opening line when she came back.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, marceline said:

My husband was born with Spina Bifida and no, you don't outgrow it.  There are different severities of Spina Bifida-some people use wheelchairs to get around, some people use canes to walk, and others can walk just fine if they have a mild case.  My husband can feel his legs and has partial sensation in his feet but he uses a wheelchair to get around because as a kid it was much faster for him to use the wheelchair than trying to walk!  (And most wheelchair user do not like the terms "confined to a wheelchair" or "wheelchair bound". Having a wheelchair gives many people with mobility issues their freedom!)

*Edited to add* I realize this is just a TV show and not medically accurate but surgeries do not "cure" Spina Bifida. It can help make some of the symptoms less severe, but it does not cure it.  It's also not a death sentence, plenty of people can live long, full lives with it. Medical science has come a long way!

Edited by Bookworm 1979
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Don’t tell me Krista put a pin in Amelia and Link so that Amelia can have a fling with the non binary doctor in Minnesota. 🙄 

I had that thought too, except I forgot she was non-binary.  I am hoping Addie and Amelia will have a heart to heart and she will tell Amelia she is walking away from a good thing and she will realise and go back to Link (and hopefully he will take her back).  

• Love 6

The PNW heat wave last summer was absolutely brutal. If anyone had suggested to me at that time that I wear a knit hat, I would have shoved it so far up their you-know-what that they would have needed surgery to remove it. It's like the show really wants us to hate Teddy.

It was great to have Addison back, but it was weird that she got teary over Derek but didn't even mention Mark. And I would have loved to have seen at least a picture of 8-year-old Henry, since Addison adopting him was such a big storyline on PP.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I had that thought too, except I forgot she was non-binary.  I am hoping Addie and Amelia will have a heart to heart and she will tell Amelia she is walking away from a good thing and she will realise and go back to Link (and hopefully he will take her back).  

My husband and I are old, and neither of us think Linc is right.  Marriage doesn't really mean anything anymore, as so many people divorce.  We also don't understand why it has to be marriage or break up.  Why can't he leave it alone and just be happy to be together. 

If someone would like to explain his side WITHOUT bringing religion into it, I'd like to hear it.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, JeanJean said:

She came back once or maybe twice, yes? Once was when her brother had parasitic worms in his brain (yecccch) and Derek removed them. 

She was back several times, when they did Private Practice crossovers. There were not as many of them as they have with Station 19, but still a few.

16 hours ago, askasza said:

First: How is it possible that Addison's return was enough to feel the atmosphere of the old greys? I didn't feel it at all when Derek, Georg, Lexi, Mark came back... I just love this woman. 

Well first, because Addison is just awesome. But I think it also helped that she was in the hospital for real interacting with the whole cast. Last season Derek, George, and everyone were just ghosts talking cryptically on a beach.

7 minutes ago, dshgr said:

My husband and I are old, and neither of us think Linc is right.  Marriage doesn't really mean anything anymore, as so many people divorce.  We also don't understand why it has to be marriage or break up.  Why can't he leave it alone and just be happy to be together. 

If someone would like to explain his side WITHOUT bringing religion into it, I'd like to hear it.

Linc has a different opinion than you about marriage not meaning anything. If marriage is important to him, he should not have to change, anymore than Amelia should have to change and get married when she doesn't want to. Different people have different values and think different things are important.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, dshgr said:

Linc wants stability and commitment, things he didn't have with his parents. He thinks (rightly or wrongly) that marriage will bring this about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

It was great to have Addison back, but it was weird that she got teary over Derek but didn't even mention Mark. And I would have loved to have seen at least a picture of 8-year-old Henry, since Addison adopting him was such a big storyline on PP.

Mark passed when Private Practice was still airing, and Addison publicly grieved for more than one episode about Mark's death. So, in the Shondaland universe, Addie has dealt with losing Mark. 

3 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I had that thought too, except I forgot she was non-binary.

They are non-binary, not "she"

(just a gentle correction, as their pronouns were made clear just one episode ago.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 10/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, Daisy said:

well, to be fair. it's not like people go "hey honey, i'm going to propose to you, is this a good time?"  you're going to be blindsided by it. and I personally thought it was a sweet proposal (I know i am on the table for 1 there on that, but i did).

The only proposal I've ever got, he told me a month earlier that he was going to propose. It was a quasi- public thing like Linc's, so I think he wanted to make sure what the answer was going to be before he asked. Unlike Linc who jumped in even after in their last discussion Amelia said that she wasn't ready to get married. It was a sweet proposal but bad timing.

2 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

Linc wants stability and commitment, things he didn't have with his parents. He thinks (rightly or wrongly) that marriage will bring this about.

That's a good thought. Maybe the leftovers from his childhood cancer when he thought he would never be able to father a child, affect him too.  It also seems like Linc is about the grand gestures, a ring in each colour and a different child holding each ring, and when he gets told no it's the end of the world. I still ship Linc/Amelia but this all or nothing would be hard to live with.

• Love 3
On 10/14/2021 at 7:50 PM, KaveDweller said:

Why does Glasses always get picked for these surgeries? Addison seemed to pick him randomly, and didn't the same thing happen last week?

I hate this character. Shonda loves this character so much, that can be the only explanation why we have suffered through his arc all this time. Ugh!

Edited by A coin in the hand
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Linc has a different opinion than you about marriage not meaning anything. If marriage is important to him, he should not have to change, anymore than Amelia should have to change and get married when she doesn't want to. Different people have different values and think different things are important.

Agree. I’m not particularly religious but marriage was always important to me. To some it’s just a piece of a paper but to me it was a symbol and celebration of commitment to each other. I absolutely respect other people don’t feel the need but I would want my partner to be on the same page as me. I’d also expect my expect my views of marriage to be respected in the same way I respect the views of those who feel differently.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, dshgr said:

My guess is he sees it as commitment, his parents marriage disintegrated with his cancer, but he wants something that is finite, and I guess he doesn't want just a relationship.  It's a pity, I just think they are good together, it's been the first relationship Amelia seemed to shine in, she was still herself, but had a two-way, relaxed relationship where there was mutual respect.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

My husband was born with Spina Bifida and no, you don't outgrow it.  There are different severities of Spina Bifida-some people use wheelchairs to get around, some people use canes to walk, and others can walk just fine if they have a mild case.  My husband can feel his legs and has partial sensation in his feet but he uses a wheelchair to get around because as a kid it was much faster for him to use the wheelchair than trying to walk!  (And most wheelchair user do not like the terms "confined to a wheelchair" or "wheelchair bound". Having a wheelchair gives many people with mobility issues their freedom!)

I had no idea. Thank you for the (very kind) correction.

16 hours ago, dshgr said:

I agree with the opinion that Linc is craving the stability he missed in childhood. I don't think Linc is wrong. He and Amelia just want different things. What I do have a problem with is that there's no mention of the fact that Linc wanting to have lots of kids was kind of the impetus for Amelia realizing they didn't want the same thing. It also might help remind viewers that Amelia already had a baby that was born without a brain and died shortly after birth. That happened on Private Practice so part of the audience might not know that history.

12 hours ago, SmittenKitten said:

It’s a fan! They’re great. 

An absolute blessing during menopause.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I wish Linc would relax and be patient with Amelia.  One of my girlfriends had a lousy marriage and got divorced, and no longer had any interest in marriage. She started dating a confirmed bachelor who fell madly in love with her and asked her to marry him.  She essentially asked him if he was nuts because he knew she had no interest in getting married and had chosen him as a boyfriend partly because he shared the same disinterest. So he was like, OK, and they happily continued on for many months with no further discussion about the subject until one day she told him, "Yes, I'll marry you." He gave her time to get past her wariness. 

That would make a much more romantic story than this conflict is. 

• Love 16

Addison! Loved all of her scenes.

16 hours ago, dshgr said:

It feels like a repeat of the Owen/Cristina storyline and it was depressing enough to watch with them, I don't have to see it again with Amelia/Linc. My partner and I aren't married either, but if this issue came up and he wanted to get hitched, I could imagine doing it for him. Since the Owen/Cristina story ended with basically little compromise and an abortion, I'd like this story to end a bit differently and not - like I think will happen - Linc realizing he's "wrong."

18 minutes ago, Shellie said:

I wish Linc would relax and be patient with Amelia.  One of my girlfriends had a lousy marriage and got divorced, and no longer had any interest in marriage. She started dating a confirmed bachelor who fell madly in love with her and asked her to marry him.  She essentially asked him if he was nuts because he knew she had no interest in getting married and had chosen him as a boyfriend partly because he shared the same disinterest. So he was like, OK, and they happily continued on for many months with no further discussion about the subject until one day she told him, "Yes, I'll marry you." He gave her time to get past her wariness. 

That would make a much more romantic story than this conflict is. 

That would be great!

27 minutes ago, marceline said:

I agree with the opinion that Linc is craving the stability he missed in childhood. I don't think Linc is wrong. He and Amelia just want different things. What I do have a problem with is that there's no mention of the fact that Linc wanting to have lots of kids was kind of the impetus for Amelia realizing they didn't want the same thing. It also might help remind viewers that Amelia already had a baby that was born without a brain and died shortly after birth. That happened on Private Practice so part of the audience might not know that history.

It's already been mentioned on Grey's several times though. Her reluctance to have children made more sense when she first became pregnant again, but not wanting more children is a valid stance even without the tragic background.

• Love 4

They are trying SO HARD to make Glasses happen. The actor must be loved by TPTB because the character is awful and I have yet to see anyone online clamoring for more of him.

I don't get it either. Maybe he's really popular with the Twitter fans? Shows seem to pay far more attention to those than anyone else.

Don’t tell me Krista put a pin in Amelia and Link so that Amelia can have a fling with the non binary doctor in Minnesota. 🙄 

Yeah, that's definitely the vibe I'm getting. Already started to see it last week. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get it either. Maybe he's really popular with the Twitter fans? Shows seem to pay far more attention to those than anyone else.

I get the feeling that Krista doesn't cares what the audience thinks. Look at the rehabbing Teddy when just about everyone had had enough of her.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, sbfan81 said:

It's already been mentioned on Grey's several times though. Her reluctance to have children made more sense when she first became pregnant again, but not wanting more children is a valid stance even without the tragic background.

I wholeheartedly agree about the reluctance to have more children. I say that as a childfree woman myself. But have we seen Amelia and Linc talk about it? If they did, I missed it which is entirely possible. Shows I watched during COVID are all kind of a blur.

20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The PNW heat wave last summer was absolutely brutal. If anyone had suggested to me at that time that I wear a knit hat, I would have shoved it so far up their you-know-what that they would have needed surgery to remove it. It's like the show really wants us to hate Teddy.

I really felt for those of you going through it. I'm in Ohio so, like Seattle, we don't usually get that kind of extreme heat. I'm kind of afraid that we're looking at something like that in the next couple of years.

As for the hats, I'll be honest, I have a Jayne hat from Firefly that was knitted for me by a friend I love. Fun Hat Day would give me a chance to let my geek flag fly. 

Edited by marceline
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1