Type keyword(s) to search

Deadly Women - General Discussion

• Start Topic

During the story about Leonarda Cianciulli in tonight's episode....

Mom: What is she doing with the bodies?

Show: Mentions a cauldron.

Me: I think you have your answer, Mom. 

Even before that reveal, I had a sinking feeling that's where that story was going to go. Ugh. Geez, between that story and the one about Loretta Burroughs in last week's episode, clearly one shouldn't be eating anything while watching this show. 

(On a lighter note, though, the guy playing her son Giuseppe was kinda cute :D.)

I remember seeing the story about Barbara Rogers on some other show once, that discussed deadly cults. Weird, weird stuff. Just...why

• Love 5

So Rhonda and Patricia may potentially be eligible for release as soon as 2023 and 2022, respectively. Greeeeeeat. 

That story about James was so horribly sad and cruel. 

And the one with Florence was just...yeow. Thank goodness she wasn't savvy enough to cover her tracks. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And the one with Florence was just...yeow. Thank goodness she wasn't savvy enough to cover her tracks. 

The one good thing about criminals is they usually have the decency to take themselves out and they end up catching themselves. They ain't smart.

• Love 5

If that last story with Dayna is the same one I'm thinking of, I believe it was covered on another show once, and I remember the investigators asking if her dad was dead in the house, and her response was something like, "Not that I'm aware of." A rather bizarre thing to say in response to someone asking if there's a dead body in your home, especially if the body is that of your father. 

Simona and Heather should meet each other, given how they were both dumb enough to do nothing to try and cover their tracks after they committed their respective murders. Yeah, let's see, these people are going to break into a home, kill someone, NOT take any valuables, and will somehow know the house well enough to know where to hide the murder weapon, which just happens to be in the room of another person who survives this supposed attack. And these robbers/murderers won't think to try and take Simona out, too, so as to avoid potential witnesses. 

Sure. That makes total sense. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

If that last story with Dayna is the same one I'm thinking of, I believe it was covered on another show once, and I remember the investigators asking if her dad was dead in the house, and her response was something like, "Not that I'm aware of." A rather bizarre thing to say in response to someone asking if there's a dead body in your home, especially if the body is that of your father. 

Yes! It was an episode of Diabolical, "Daddy's Little Nightmare" (season three, episode one).

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Yes! It was an episode of Diabolical, "Daddy's Little Nightmare" (season three, episode one).

There we go! Thank you! 

I also remember there was a whole weird thing where people were talking about this strange and creepy relationship she had with some guy that sounded like it was building up to something...and then they broke up and seemed to go their separate ways and that part of the story just kinda...ended rather abruptly. I always wondered if there was more to that beyond what was discussed in that episode. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The story about Roslyn in tonight's episode...imagine going on your merry way for seventeen years, thinking you've gotten away with murder, only for the authorities to finally show up at your door. Amazing.

As for Marie, seriously, I have yet to hear a story about a murder plot that didn't wind up eventually falling apart in the end. Crazy how she managed to rope her co-worker into this simply by calling her to come over. I'm amazed Rafael got the sentence he did, too, given what he'd done to Marie's husband. I don't care how remorseful he was, how many prayers he might've uttered beforehand (seriously, dude?)...in the end, you still decapitated a guy. I'd think that would get a much stiffer sentence, but...guess not. 

The Susan Polk story I've heard before, I want to say on "The Investigators" or "Dominick Dunne" or some show of that sort. Given the creepy beginnings of her relationship with her husband, that outcome wasn't too surprising. Even if it hadn't ended in murder, that marriage was bound to have some problems at some point eventually. 

• Love 2

Hey, first story in tonight's episode takes place in my state! Always so proud...:/. I'd heard that one on "Dateline" before, it's a really weird case. 

"Do you really think I'd be that bloody stupid to kill my husband days after marrying him?" Well, considering you were dumb enough to shoot yourself in the arm and try and pass it off as the result of someone else shooting you, uh...yes? Even with her idiocy, though, Margaret's still a scary woman, and I too can't believe how little time she spent in prison, given all she'd done. 

Nicole's pretty scary, too. Poor Becky :(. Thank goodness at least that Nicole looks like she'll be in prison for a good, long while. 

• Love 1
On 7/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, Annber03 said:

"Do you really think I'd be that bloody stupid to kill my husband days after marrying him?" Well, considering you were dumb enough to shoot yourself in the arm and try and pass it off as the result of someone else shooting you, uh...yes? Even with her idiocy, though, Margaret's still a scary woman, and I too can't believe how little time she spent in prison, given all she'd done. 

The answer to that ridiculous question is always a resounding YES!!!!

• Love 3

It truly never ceases to amaze me the messed up things people will do with someone's body after they kill them. Lisa Jo is...yikes. And getting turned on by what she'd done besides... It's no wonder that her death sentence was not commuted while Roger's was. 

I do find it interesting ,though, with Mary, that for all the awful things she did, she still went out of her way to try and save her husband's life in the end. Course, she was hoping he'd take her kid, and...well, we all know how that ended. That poor child. 

And Carol and her son Scott. What a family :/. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So fascinating how many women managed to get away with murder in the 1800s and early 1900s, the way Belva did. Makes me wonder how some of the more current cases profiled on this series might've turned out had those women committed their crimes back then. 

I got a good laugh out of Tyler being caught by that unexpected message that her husband had recorded a couple weeks prior to his death. Oops. And then she leaves her DNA on the murder weapon as well. Always the little things that get ya in the end. 

The story of Pam Smart has been told time and time again, of course, but it doesn't make the story itself any less nuts. Just...so stupid. So, so stupid. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The story of Pam Smart has been told time and time again, of course, but it doesn't make the story itself any less nuts. Just...so stupid. So, so stupid. 

Let me see if I'm right without Googling. Did she have a teenage student-lover that she manipulated into murdering her husband? And one of those men was named Greg?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Let me see if I'm right without Googling. Did she have a teenage student-lover that she manipulated into murdering her husband? And one of those men was named Greg?

Correct :). Her husband's name was Greg (or Greggory), and she hired the teenage student she was sleeping with, along with two of his friends, to kill him. She then tried to throw them under the bus afterward, telling the investigators, "They're just kids, you can't believe what they tell you!" but that didn't exactly work as a solid defense. 

• Love 2

Correct :). Her husband's name was Greg (or Greggory), and she hired the teenage student she was sleeping with, along with two of his friends, to kill him. She then tried to throw them under the bus afterward, telling the investigators, "They're just kids, you can't believe what they tell you!" but that didn't exactly work as a solid defense. 

Well, how else would your husband have died, Pam? I doubt a group of your students just up and decided to kill him for the hell of it.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Well, how else would your husband have died, Pam? I doubt a group of your students just up and decided to kill him for the hell of it.

Right? As many an investigator has pointed out before, coincidences are very rare when it comes to crime. There's usually some specific reason this particular person (or group of people) targeted this particular victim (or victims). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Is tonight's Deadly Women supposed to be new? The guide says New (episode titled Dangerous Liaisons) but it also says it's episode four from season four. The episode from last week in the current season was season fourteen, episode eight.

The same thing happened with Evil Lives Here. The episode on 8/1 was 9.11 (New), Sunday's episode was 6.12 (New), this Sunday's episode coming up says only season nine (New) and the episode on 8/22 is 9.13 (New) 

• Love 2

Just watched, and it's a new episode. I've noticed that happens with a few shows sometimes when I'm looking at them on my channel guide - they'll say it's new when it isn't or won't note it as new when it is. Must be a general guide issue sort of thing, 'cause I've seen it happen with shows on other networks, too. 

So, wow, tonight's stories just seemed to get more and more disturbing with each new segment. I will never understand women fighting over and going all out for such shitty excuses for men. Rick was a pathetic loser who didn't deserve any of the women he wound up with, and Sonia enabling and going along with his bad behavior made it all the worse. Poor Debbie. Also, I continue to love how these idiots in these kinds of stories always seem to think that killing someone will magically solve their money/custody problems. Remind me again how that worked out for you, Sonia and Rick? 

And of course Rick would throw her under the bus with those recordings, and while he's an asshole in his own right, I'm glad his recordings took her down, too. Gosh, it's almost like hooking up with a guy that shows absolutely zero signs of anything resembling loyalty, commitment, respect, or general human decency is a bad idea or something! Who knew? 

And then the story with Mary and Billy. Good god. What a terrifying pair. Not only did they take out poor Alicia, who'd already suffered enough under Billy's cruelty, but three other innocent people lost their lives, too, two of whom had absolutely no connection whatsoever to any of these people. Again, not one bit surprised that Billy let Mary take the fall - the fact she met him in prison when going to visit her brother...ah, yeah, that's romance right there, that is. Makes you wonder, too, what Mary and her brother's childhoods must've been like, if this is how they turned out. 

As for Denise...this story sounded vaguely familiar to me, I want to say I might've seen it on another show once? But god, what a weird, utterly heartbreaking story. Not only do I feel for Matre, losing his mom (and on what should've been such a happy day, no less), and then his own life, and in such a horrible way at that, but my heart goes out to Maurice for all he'd lost as well. And to top it all off, Denise destroys her own family in the process, too. The way in which Matre was murdered, the plot as a whole, was so incredibly bizarre, which somehow makes it even more horrifying. 

The worst part of all three stories, though, was the fact that innocent children were witness to each of these crime scenes. There really was no end to the pain and misery these women left behind. 

Tonight's episode...

-Chelsea Cook: Anyone who makes children be witness to a violent crime is a vile, despicable person. What a horrible tragedy. Again, people, if you want to keep seeing and getting partial/full custody of your kids, DON'T COMMIT VIOLENT CRIMES. You can't see your children if you're in jail, how the hell do people not think about this rather blatantly obvious fact? Thank goodness Travis was able to hold her at bay until the police came - I shudder to think of what else she might've done if she'd had the chance. 

-Debby Foxwell: Hoo, boy, that escalated quickly. This is just the sort of story you could see on "Fear Thy Neighbor". I'm glad the jury didn't agree with Debby's plea - yeah, you kill someone in that brutal a fashion, you don't get to pull the manslaughter defense. 

-Tanya Nelson: Another story that sounds vaguely familiar, I think I might've seen this one elsewhere before, too. But seriously, Tanay, if you're willing to take business advice from a fortune teller of all people, and it doesn't work out, that's your own damn fault. Especially if, in order to drum up business, you turn to shady and illegal means to make money. What did she expect at that point? But I guess it's easier to blame other people and kill them than it is to actually take responsibility for your own failures :/. Real piece of work, she is. I do love that there was some money and other expensive items that they missed, though, and that they were dumb enough to leave the knives behind, and Tanya was also dumb enough to leave a paper trail besides :p. Thank goodness for criminals being so stupid and sloppy. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Tonight's episode...

-Tanya Nelson: Another story that sounds vaguely familiar, I think I might've seen this one elsewhere before, too. But seriously, Tanya, if you're willing to take business advice from a fortune teller of all people, and it doesn't work out, that's your own damn fault. Especially if, in order to drum up business, you turn to shady and illegal means to make money. What did she expect at that point? But I guess it's easier to blame other people and kill them than it is to actually take responsibility for your own failures :/. Real piece of work, she is. I do love that there was some money and other expensive items that they missed, though, and that they were dumb enough to leave the knives behind, and Tanya was also dumb enough to leave a paper trail besides :p. Thank goodness for criminals being so stupid and sloppy. 

That does sound vaguely familiar. There's a show on Justice Network called Bizarre Murders that is 'inspired' by true cases (i.e. the crux of the crime/story is the same, but names/places/details/etc. are changed), but I remember a case there about a fortune-teller advising a client to move somewhere for job opportunities and then the job ended up not panning out and her boyfriend dumped her, so she decided the fortune-teller was at fault and murdered the fortune teller and her daughter in the kitchen of their home. Was that the basic layout of this story?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

That does sound vaguely familiar. There's a show on Justice Network called Bizarre Murders that is 'inspired' by true cases (i.e. the crux of the crime/story is the same, but names/places/details/etc. are changed), but I remember a case there about a fortune-teller advising a client to move somewhere for job opportunities and then the job ended up not panning out and her boyfriend dumped her, so she decided the fortune-teller was at fault and murdered the fortune teller and her daughter in the kitchen of their home. Was that the basic layout of this story?

That'd be the same one, yeah :). I've seen that show, but I don't know that I've seen that particular episode - did they mention the criminals pouring white paint on the victims' bodies as well? 

• Love 2

That'd be the same one, yeah :). I've seen that show, but I don't know that I've seen that particular episode - did they mention the criminals pouring white paint on the victims' bodies as well? 

*nods* Yes! I'll see if I can go find a link for you to the episode. 

• Love 2

EDIT: I can't find a YouTube link but the episode itself is called Bad Fortune and is on Justice Network Monday (8/23) at 7:30 PM. It is also free on Tubi for anyone that has that streaming platform :)

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

EDIT: I can't find a YouTube link but the episode itself is called Bad Fortune and is on Justice Network Monday (8/23) at 7:30 PM. It is also free on Tubi for anyone that has that streaming platform :)

Oh, cool, thanks. I'll check that out, then :). 

• Useful 2

I do so love when criminals are stupid enough to keep records of their crimes. Discussing your crime during prison phone calls (how do people continue to forget that those calls are recorded?), leaving a piece of paper with all the necessary information about the victim and his home and whatnot in the car... Yep. Real geniuses, these people. And now Catherine's lost her children forever and made them both essentially orphans. Hope it was all worth it, lady. Same with Angela (hey, a killer with my name, great...:/) and the deeply disturbing texts between her and her lover. Thank goodness for the rest of us that these killers don't know how to keep their mouths shut. 

As for Grace, when you've committed murder and then tried to kill yourself multiple times, I'm thinking that's the universe's way of telling you you need to pay for what you've done, even if only briefly, as was the case with her. 

• Love 3

I don't know which part of tonight's episode amused me more - Uloma not thinking to check the insurance policy, thus learning after the murder that she wasn't the beneficiary, or Chansamorn's boyfriend Steven happily wandering into the police station with his weapon to try and prove his innocence, only to learn that, oops, the police never publicly stated how Chansamorn's husband was murdered. You gotta love stories about stupid criminals. 

Also, Wayne should've looked up the definition of karma before he hooked up with Robyn. 

Candace is right about why group murder plots inevitably fall apart. Someone will always, always wind up talking in the end. If they're going down, they're taking everyone else with them. You'd think people would realize that by now, but apparently not. 

• Love 2

Deadly Women ends its season next week and the week after (9/16) there is a premiere show The Deadly Type with Candice DeLong: Candice DeLong investigates the personality traits that have triggered homicides, going inside the hint for a killer as detectives race to build a psychological profile of the killer amidst a growing chorus of suspects. 

Each episode is half an hour and it doesn't say whether it's going to be men and women or just women, but it might be interesting?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Deadly Women ends its season next week and the week after (9/16) there is a premiere show The Deadly Type with Candice DeLong: Candice DeLong investigates the personality traits that have triggered homicides, going inside the hint for a killer as detectives race to build a psychological profile of the killer amidst a growing chorus of suspects. 

Each episode is half an hour and it doesn't say whether it's going to be men and women or just women, but it might be interesting?

I have seen The Deadly Type with Candice DeLong Season 1 which has 10 episodes.  It's also a very good show and features men and women.

Here's the link to the Google page of The Deadly Type.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Oh, this isn't a new show? Or do you mean it aired already on Discovery Plus and is just coming around to the network channel?

Season 2 hasn't been confirmed as renewed or cancelled as of yet.  I guess the debut season (hopefully there will be a second) is now airing on network?  It's on discovery+ which is where I enjoyed it.

• Useful 1

So while watching tonight's episode, I was feeling bad for Frederick at first in the story about Maria Manning...but, well, that sympathy ended pretty fast given his role in Maria's husband's murder. The fact she just up and left with all the riches and whatnot afterward, and Frederick got nothing...that's karma for ya. 

And what a wild twist with the revelation of who attended the hanging (also, 30 to 50,000 some people went to watch that? My god, was there really literally nothing else to do in town at that time?).

As for Michelle and Kemia, y'know, if you're going to go to such great lengths of trying to pull off some, "Oh, my god, I just discovered my husband dead!" routine, at least maybe get some acting lessons or something to try and make it convincing? Also, maybe pay attention to which side of the door the glass falls when you try and make it look like someone broke in. Amazing how that kind of little detail always seems to trip people up. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/10/2021 at 2:12 AM, Annber03 said:

As for Michelle and Kemia, y'know, if you're going to go to such great lengths of trying to pull off some, "Oh, my god, I just discovered my husband dead!" routine, at least maybe get some acting lessons or something to try and make it convincing? Also, maybe pay attention to which side of the door the glass falls when you try and make it look like someone broke in. Amazing how that kind of little detail always seems to trip people up. 

Doing my season-long binge-watch of this year after recording all the episodes and...yeah. The glass inside/outside thing tripped up murderers on Forensic Files, too. You'd think criminals would see what not to do based on other criminal cases, even if by accident. 

• Love 4
On 9/3/2021 at 2:43 AM, Annber03 said:

I don't know which part of tonight's episode amused me more - Uloma not thinking to check the insurance policy, thus learning after the murder that she wasn't the beneficiary, or Chansamorn's boyfriend Steven happily wandering into the police station with his weapon to try and prove his innocence, only to learn that, oops, the police never publicly stated how Chansamorn's husband was murdered. You gotta love stories about stupid criminals. 

Also, Wayne should've looked up the definition of karma before he hooked up with Robyn. 

Candace is right about why group murder plots inevitably fall apart. Someone will always, always wind up talking in the end. If they're going down, they're taking everyone else with them. You'd think people would realize that by now, but apparently not. 

I get that Uloma's daughter was underage while her boyfriend and the hired shooter were over 18, but how did she end up with delinquency as a charge (what does that even mean?) and one month detention? It cracked me up that the reason they all got caught was the first potential hit man secretly recorded them asking for the murder-for-hire. Add that one to the oops pile. 

Also: "There's no coming back for a relationship in which one person savagely bites the other." blink. Um. Yes. Lol. That is true.

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2021 at 2:07 AM, Annber03 said:

The Susan Polk story I've heard before, I want to say on "The Investigators" or "Dominick Dunne" or some show of that sort. Given the creepy beginnings of her relationship with her husband, that outcome wasn't too surprising. Even if it hadn't ended in murder, that marriage was bound to have some problems at some point eventually. 

"The Investigators"! There's a blast from the past. I could swear to it that I've heard about this case before, too, or read it somewhere, maybe one of Anne Rule's books? Wherever I heard about it, I remember being very annoyed that Felix Polk apparently never got in trouble for seducing/dating/marrying his patient. 

• Love 5
On 7/8/2021 at 10:04 PM, Annber03 said:

Simona and Heather should meet each other, given how they were both dumb enough to do nothing to try and cover their tracks after they committed their respective murders. Yeah, let's see, these people are going to break into a home, kill someone, NOT take any valuables, and will somehow know the house well enough to know where to hide the murder weapon, which just happens to be in the room of another person who survives this supposed attack. And these robbers/murderers won't think to try and take Simona out, too, so as to avoid potential witnesses. 

Sure. That makes total sense. 

Heather's story: the murders were horrible but I couldn't focus on anything but how full of Botox her mother was. And if she lost custody of her kids why was her mother allowing her to not only see them but take them anywhere unsupervised?

• Useful 2

The Susan Bohling/Felix Polk case makes me sad. It's clear that she killed him. Murder is wrong. But Felix had groomed her since she was fifteen and her parents failed her as much as Felix did. The Deadly Women segment doesn't get into the half of what happened: how Felix was a married father when he started his affair with Susan, that the entire reason Susan's parents sought therapy for her in the first place was not only for panic attacks but sexual abuse, how Susan attempted suicide before she filed for divorce in 2001, how when Susan was in Montana after she filed for divorce Felix got a court hearing without notifying Susan and used that to win full custody of the children and slashed alimony payments. (The Deadly Women segment made it seem like Susan just didn't bother going back.). Not to mention what it did show in the segment was how Susan was obviously mentally unwell and Felix ignored it.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Did deadly women do a segment on Dan/Betty Broderick?

Yes, back in 2010.

Till Death Do Us Part

P.S.  I live in San Diego and worked for the law firm Dan Broderick was at after he left to go to private practice.  I never met Dan that I can remember, although he was very good friends with attorneys there.  Never met Betty but after the murders, I saw her children in the office.  Never met Linda the second wife but heard plenty about her.  Betty, now 73, is still in prison in Chino, CA, and has been denied parole three times.  Next possible parole date is in 2032.

• Useful 4

I wonder if they'd ever do a segment on Lori Vallow. Her case has been covered extensively in the media already, but it would be interesting to see how this show touched on it. 

But yeah, that's a good question. I know there's been a few other cases involving murderous women in recent years, I'll have to mull it over and see which ones come to mind. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
On 8/5/2022 at 11:25 PM, Lucas Rowan said:

Stacey Castor (murdered her two husbands with antifreeze in Syracuse, NY, and almost murdered her daughter, Ashley, to serve as a patsy)

Antifree! 😂

I've also seen the Carla Hughes/Avis Banks story on Forensic Files. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lucas Rowan said:

Ooh!  I can't believe that I forgot about Diane Staudte, who murdered her husband and autistic son, and almost murdered her daughter, Sarah, all with the help of her favorite daughter, Rachel.  I'm actually in shock that Deadly Women hasn't covered them.

They were on a show on Investigation Discovery once, or maybe Oxygen? @Annber03, help us out, I know you know the answer; what show were they on?

I looked up the name Diane Staudte, though, and did you know she murdered her family members with antifreeze too? And there was another infamous one besides Stacey Castor. Lynn Turner, I think her name was? She murdered her first husband and her second, common-law husband. Apparently antifreeze is the murder-by-poison weapon of choice. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

They were on a show on Investigation Discovery once, or maybe Oxygen? @Annber03, help us out, I know you know the answer; what show were they on?

I looked up the name Diane Staudte, though, and did you know she murdered her family members with antifreeze too? And there was another infamous one besides Stacey Castor. Lynn Turner, I think her name was? She murdered her first husband and her second, common-law husband. Apparently antifreeze is the murder-by-poison weapon of choice. 

Oh, yeah, I think that's a case that's been covered on a few shows. I do recall Oxygen covering it, and I remember a show on HLN covering it, too. I want to say it was that one where people are dealing with strange, unexplained ailments, some of which are revealed to be some rare illness, others being a sign of a crime, like this one was. I'm blanking on the title of that show at the moment, though. 

• Useful 1

Ooh, I know another one that this show could cover. The woman who wrote that "How to Kill Your Husband" article years ago, and whose husband recently wound up...uh...murdered. I saw a "Dateline" episode on that case and it was a strange, strange story. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Ooh, I know another one that this show could cover. The woman who wrote that "How to Kill Your Husband" article years ago, and whose husband recently wound up...uh...murdered. I saw a "Dateline" episode on that case and it was a strange, strange story. 

On that note, there was a show a few years back on ID called "How (Not) To Kill Your Husband." Was she on that show, by chance? Lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1