Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SeanC

Cyrano (2021)

Experience the greatest love story ever told. Watch the official trailer for Cyrano now, from director Joe Wright and starring Peter Dinklage, Haley Bennett, and Kelvin Harrison Jr. – in theaters this December.

This is based on a musical stage production created by Peter Dinklage's wife Erica Schmidt, with music by The National.  It's cool that Dinklage and his wife were able to bring their project to the screen.  It certainly looks like Wright is bringing his usual visual flair to the proceedings as well.

• Like 4

People are griping that Peter Dinklage is too good looking to play Cyrano. But swapping the nose in favor of making him a little person still works when you take into account the mindset of that time period.

In any case I love Peter, hell do a fantastic job and I need something to get the bad taste of GOT out of my mouth.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4

I was interested until they started singing. I don't know why but being a musical turned me off and I enjoy musicals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I was interested until they started singing. I don't know why but being a musical turned me off and I enjoy musicals. 

I wouldn't have minded so much if the music had been good, but the song they used sounded so banal, it put me off ever watching it. 

And in that embarrassingly overlong trailer... we don't get a clip of Peter Dinklage singing?! I mean, he's only the title character!

The movie looks pretty, and I like Joe Wright, but I will wait for this to come to streaming if curiosity gets the better of me. I sure as crap ain't paying to watch it.

8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

And in that embarrassingly overlong trailer... we don't get a clip of Peter Dinklage singing?! I mean, he's only the title character!

Seriously! And he is a decent singer; I saw a clip from his Sesame Street episode.

12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously! And he is a decent singer; I saw a clip from his Sesame Street episode.

I was actually going to ask/wonder if he could sing, I think the only time I "heard" him sing was in Ice Age and, I recall thinking he wasn't that good. Granted he was doing a gruff voiced character so that might have contributed. 

Peter Dinklage is like James Marstarsfor me. I associate them so closely with the first character I saw them as (Tyrion Lannister and Spike from Buffy) that hearing their normal speaking voice...sans accent.. messes with me LOL

• Laugh 1

I saw the musical when it played in NYC a few years ago, or at least half of it. I left at intermission. I thought it was dreadful. The music in particular was grating and monotonous and if I'd had to sit through another minute of it I was likely going to scream. (And no, Dinklage could not sing. Unless being frog-voiced was another thing that was supposed to replace the nose as some sort of impediment. That would actually be sort of clever.)

The soundtrack is on Youtube for those who want a sample:

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Useful 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:59 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Maybe if the title was Gaston

On 10/15/2021 at 8:24 AM, TheOtherOne said:

I saw the musical when it played in NYC a few years ago, or at least half of it. I left at intermission. I thought it was dreadful. The music in particular was grating and monotonous and if I'd had to sit through another minute of it I was likely going to scream. (And no, Dinklage could not sing. Unless being frog-voiced was another thing that was supposed to replace the nose as some sort of impediment. That would actually be sort of clever.)

The soundtrack is on Youtube for those who want a sample:

Oh dear, I listened to song three, and he is struggling