Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Turn Them Out

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

On 10/16/2021 at 2:51 AM, Lona said:

All around, pretty solid episode IMO. Great dancing, and we even got to see Lexie, Gina and Ashlee display some great Veteran character. Also, three cheers for Travis Wall! Love his energy and enthusiasm! :) 

It was nice to h  ave the vet workshop and little takes from Lexie, Gina, and Ashlee.  I liked this part of the episode.  I'd love to see more of these moments.

• Love 17

Finally got round to watching this episode. 

I loooooove Travis Wall but I'm not sure contemporary works on the field well. He'd have been better doing a jazz piece again for this season.

I know they say it every year but this really is the best crop of TCCs they've ever had; it would just be nice to get to know them more! Although, I've always wanted more dance and we're finally getting that.

I'm not getting the Ava hype. She's a good dancer but her facial expressions are dull and she seems immature. Maybe a year will help her to mature and work on other styles? It's worked for so many before.

I was sad to see Melanie cut. You could see her memory struggles but if she mostly got cut for kicks, it would've been nice to see them for more than 0.2 seconds! We've barely seen any kicklines this year so I imagine most of them are strong. 

Ashley needs to work with a tall veteran (maybe Jada) to see how she can get more grounded and powerful. Jada's worked on that between her rookie year and second year so could pass on those tips. Ashley is beautiful but I agree with Travis, she dances very short. 

As for the vets, Kat looked strong in the DCC crowd so I can see why she's still there. The most worrying to me was Taylor. She was the lowest ranked rookie and I thought I saw her make a couple of mistakes. However, I know she's a great ambassador and will probably end up retiring after this season. 

• Love 7

Can I choose neither Melissa or Maddie? Lol. Melissa is good on camera, and has a polish that is still very relatable. She doesn’t add as much value as I would like, but I get that she has a fan base and is probably the most immediately recognizable former DCC. 

Maddie is a great guest to support, and to an earlier point, got the boot her first year and came back much improved. But as good as I think she is one on one and in the locker room, she struggles on camera and lacks polish. 

I don’t know who I would pick tho, other than Jacie who I think is pretty much the best ever and is still young enough to the team to be relatable. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

It was nice to h  ave the vet workshop and little takes from Lexie, Gina, and Ashlee.  I liked this part of the episode.  I'd love to see more of these moments.

I loved seeing this section too.  It was great hearing Gina speak without vocal fry and giving that great tip about keeping her arms behind her chest to look 'strong.' She sometimes speak in "sing-song" voice, but I could also see her being a great teacher for the Jr DCC camps.

Also maybe an unpopular opinion but I thought Lexie looked gorgeous in the talking head, and she seemed incredibly articulate, and a great teacher during the combo.  I was one who thought Lexie would make a great point - even over Gina or Rachel.  

• Love 15

I heard Maddie  on a podcast and that’s what she should have told the girls about.

She  changed her look by going to her natural curl and color and got rid of the goth makeup

She worked on her dance all the time.  

Those were the two I remember and then some was she was a year older and more mature.

I do think it was an inspiration to the rookies to see a point of the triangle who was cut her first year.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

As for the vets, Kat looked strong in the DCC crowd so I can see why she's still there. The most worrying to me was Taylor. She was the lowest ranked rookie and I thought I saw her make a couple of mistakes. However, I know she's a great ambassador and will probably end up retiring after this season. 

I'm sure she's a lovely person but if Taylor wasn't Kelli's daughter's best friend then I don't think she would've made the team to begin with. I feel like this is the weakest I've seen her though

16 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I agree - she was a second coming of Christina Riccelli for me, in looks and technique.

I agree but I think Melanie looks more fresh and vibrant. All the same issues though.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Stee said:

Also maybe an unpopular opinion but I thought Lexie looked gorgeous in the talking head, and she seemed incredibly articulate, and a great teacher during the combo.  I was one who thought Lexie would make a great point - even over Gina or Rachel.  

I feel like Lexie in the past couple of years has been really overlooked. I thought she should've gotten point last year. She's very pretty and has power, definitely more power than Rachel 

Edited by writeme93
correction
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, writeme93 said:

I'm sure she's a lovely person but if Taylor wasn't Kelli's daughter's best friend then I don't think she would've made the team to begin with. I feel like this is the weakest I've seen her though

Could not agree more. The only reason she isn't a total blender is bc she's so tall. I'm sure she's lovely but good Lord she puts me to sleep.

Edited by TB12
  • Love 5

I would have liked to see Rachel W. in the group of veterans helping the rookies. I am another one who never got Maddie’s appeal. Oh, and “I got cut the first year I tried out! Maybe this isn’t your year, and that’s okay!” is the exact opposite of what I would want to hear if I were a rookie trying out for this team and looking for encouragement from a vet to bring out my best performance.

• Love 11
On 10/18/2021 at 12:10 PM, Stee said:

Her rookie year I predicted Lexie would be point and was the girl to watch. I don't know why she hasn't made point yet, but it has surprised me, her "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" status.

I groaned when I saw Maddie featured in this episode. But I thought the message she shared with the girls about not making it the first try, and subsequent growth, was a strong one and an important message for them to hear.

Kylie and Kelee are still my favorites this season so far. Can you imagine if Kylie had Lea's dancing strength? The girl would be unstoppable.

• Love 6

I’m one of those who is sick of Maddie, but I actually didn’t have a big problem with her in this episode. She’s a recent DCC alum, who gave some advice that will be relevant to some of the TCCs. That is much different than the season premiere episode where it felt like Melissa just brought her up to gush about how great she was. That was annoying and so unnecessary.

It’s clear that Ashley probably won’t make it, which is unfortunate. I love her look. I also liked Melanie, so hopefully she returns.

I like Travis Wall but didn’t care for his choreo.

• Love 7

I wasn’t a fan of Travis Wall’s choreography in this episode. I don’t care for lyrical or contemporary in general. Those types of routines have always been my least favorite to watch and to perform, so maybe it’s just personal preference, but I also don’t feel like they’re as relevant to what the DCC need to be able to do really well as a power pom or hip hop routine would be. Or, switch it up and have someone choreograph a kick routine. As particular as Kelli and Judy are about girls being able to do the DCC “style” of dance, you would think they would avoid making selection decisions based on who nailed a slow, stylized lyrical or contemporary routine that’s nothing like the style of dance DCC actually does. I feel like this particular piece would have been more appropriate for show group auditions. 

• Love 6
On 10/18/2021 at 4:44 PM, Lexusprincess said:

I heard Maddie  on a podcast and that’s what she should have told the girls about.

She  changed her look by going to her natural curl and color and got rid of the goth makeup

She worked on her dance all the time.  

Those were the two I remember and then some was she was a year older and more mature.

I do think it was an inspiration to the rookies to see a point of the triangle who was cut her first year.

I remember the bad haircolor and the constant crying.  You have to be able to handle the pressure or Kelli will eat you for lunch !  lol  I was trying to remember who came back and all they talked about was wanting to give her a chance because of her haircut.  Some of this is so arbitrary!  :)

• Love 1
On 10/18/2021 at 8:15 PM, blairwaldorf said:

I would have liked to see Rachel W. in the group of veterans helping the rookies. I am another one who never got Maddie’s appeal. Oh, and “I got cut the first year I tried out! Maybe this isn’t your year, and that’s okay!” is the exact opposite of what I would want to hear if I were a rookie trying out for this team and looking for encouragement from a vet to bring out my best performance.

Yes, but they took in SO MANY TCCs, the messaging perhaps makes the most sense this season.  idk, TPTB be crazy.

• Love 3
On 10/18/2021 at 10:41 AM, DCC-UK said:

Ashley needs to work with a tall veteran (maybe Jada) to see how she can get more grounded and powerful. Jada's worked on that between her rookie year and second year so could pass on those tips. Ashley is beautiful but I agree with Travis, she dances very short. 

This... she is so pretty and seems very relatable.  Tall girls need to live down in the deep plie and she also tends to lack power.  I love her and I think they do to, but it does not seem like she is connecting with it just yet.  I agree, she needs video next to a tall powerhouse!

Edited by Mardo2044
  • Love 4