Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Turn Them Out

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

Criscilla Anderson teaches LA style choreography and gives some hard-learned life lessons. Then Emmy winning choreographer Travis Wall, comes to help Kelli & Judy make some tough decisions.

Airs Friday Oct 15 at 9:00PM EDT.

For the love of god how many seasons do we need to say this?  If they can not kick and do a quality jump split do not let them in training camp.  There is not enough time to improve that significantly during training camp.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I thought it was really inappropriate of Kelli to ask Travis his opinion about someone's social media when he did not see it.  No, actually I dont think they should ask a choreographer about that at all.  (I dont even like Ava, but really)

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

This is the first episode I've watched in at least two years.

That theme song, holy cow that is awful.  

Ashley is absolutely beautiful but they're right, she is not there with her dancing.  Inadequate extension and no showmanship.  Pretty smile, though.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mardo2044 said:

I thought it was really inappropriate of Kelli to ask Travis his opinion about someone's social media when he did not see it.  No, actually I dont think they should ask a choreographer about that at all.  (I dont even like Ava, but really)

That made me uncomfortable. Kelli doesn’t have to ask Travis if she is being old fashioned; she has a daughter about the same age that she could check herself against. It just felt like she was trying to influence his opinion.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

That scene was so obviously edited to make it look like he was saying he wouldn't hire a dancer who posted a video of herself making an obscene gesture. 

• Love 6

All around, pretty solid episode IMO. Great dancing, and we even got to see Lexie, Gina and Ashlee display some great Veteran character. Also, three cheers for Travis Wall! Love his energy and enthusiasm! :) 

• Love 10

I don't know why they keep taking dancers to training camp who can't kick, and can't do a split easily.      It's just for the show, so they can have a storyline about how they gave them a chance to improve before cutting them.  Everytime they do something like different choreography, I'm worried that some of the less flexible ones will get hurt.    I can't imagine doing Chrisilla, or Travis's choreography if you're not ready to be a DCC. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8

The board was not close enough for me to read names.  I can tell Ashley W and Melanie were below the line because of their haircuts.  Bring it closer so we can actually learn something and see who got stickers, so we can see who moved up and moved down..  I hope someone can post that board here.  Kaydianna and another hopeful are well intrenched with the veterans.  I always like to see who the last veteran is.... last time it was Amanda and since she has been in showgroup I found it puzzling.  This time I cant tell which vet is last but it isnt her.  It appears Kelee is below the line and the way they have been featuring her I did not know she was at risk at all, so that makes me sad.  I really like Ashley W she has the perfect DCC look and seems so sweet, but she is messing up alot and does dance really small, they should have cut her this episode.  Why drag it on, seems heartless.

DCC.JPG

Edited by Mardo2044
learned how to post pic
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I like chrisilla but I dont need to hear her story.  It's not her fault, they asked for it CMT.  Please just show us some dancing and nice smiles... it's cheerleading not a fundraiser for cancer.

That scene seemed reminiscent of last year when Kelli brought in her pastor because one of the girls lost her friends in a plane crash. It's total grief whoring.

It's not as if they knew this woman, or she worked for the organization. It's obviously sad that someone has cancer, but that was entirely out of place and awkward. It was odd when she said, "I don't know if you know my story, but I have Stage 4 colon cancer." She's a complete stranger, so how would they know?

It sort of came across like they wanted to test the girls' reaction. Like, "You're auditioning for a dance troop, but let's interrupt the audition to see how you react to someone you don't know having cancer."

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Route66 said:

That scene was so obviously edited to make it look like he was saying he wouldn't hire a dancer who posted a video of herself making an obscene gesture. 

And that’s weird too because he isn’t hiring for the same type of dance job as Kelli. She needs dancers that make good judgements because the bigger part of their job is the ambassador side. Someone who isn’t mature enough to know flipping off the camera isn’t a good choice is an ambassador risk. Full stop. 

No one gives a rats ass what a one off performer does.  I didn’t mind her asking for his point of view, tho, because while her daughter could tell her she’s being ridiculous and old fashioned, Travis is a peer-ish of sorts. Younger, more respected, etc. so I can see where she’d take his opinion into advisement especially if Ava cleaned everything up. 

They could stop beating a dead horse, tho. Either she gets it and feels embarrassed by her dumb choice or she doesn’t.  Maybe they’re thinking about old squad Whitney who was immature in her social media posts as a TCC and then made the biggest gaffe of all time and should have been kicked off the squad. And would be today for sure. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Lona said:

All around, pretty solid episode IMO. Great dancing, and we even got to see Lexie, Gina and Ashlee display some great Veteran character. 

I really enjoyed that segment.  The vets got the rookies to honestly assess themselves, and then worked with them and gave little tips to improve their performance.  That's the kind of thing I remember from years past (like at least 5 years).  I'm in agreement with a poster above not understanding Maddie's popularity, but she didn't bug me this time.  

Liked Criscella's choreography much better than Travis Wall's.  His interpretive dance routine does not render itself well on the playing field, IMO.

Kelli is still awful at eliminations.  You'd think after all this time she would become more comfortable doing it and have a mental script that has worked well for her...but no.  She clearly called Ashley in to cut her.  The girl lacks power, plain and simple.  She knows it...they know it...so what does Kelli do?  She opens the door a crack to let Ashley slide through.  'Oh, you're popular with the other girls...that's so important'.  Since when?  After 5 weeks, you should not have 8 eliminations to make.  You should already have cut those candidates that can't kick high enough or lack power.  

Kelli clearly has an extremely full schedule and only a limited amount of time to watch these girls dance.  We've heard it from candidate after candidate that they've never had a chance to speak with K or J until the moment they are called in (usually to be cut*).  She needs other people to do the dirty work for her in the first 2-3 weeks of TC.  You can't tell me there's no former DCC that wouldn't love to have a chance to be on nationwide TV (i.e. work for free) and be her "spotters" in those critical first weeks.  And by dirty work I mean telling these girls the truth in the very early stages...'if your kicks/splits/range of motion/dance ability doesn't improve in the next week or two, my recommendation is you don't move on any further'.  And then assign a veteran to help the girl...one on one.  Do all that stuff in the first few weeks, and by week 4, let's say, call all those into a big room at the same time and have Her Royal Highness come in and announce she's cutting them.  Thank them for trying out and immediately leave the room.  Let those spotters do the handholding and listen to the blubbering and begging.  In this way Kelli can glean from others who the standout candidates are and have already at least spoken to them before the 5 week period.  

*Why are these rookies so delusional?  'Oh yippee, Kelli is calling me in after 5 weeks and wants to see me.  I can't imagine why, but I'm so excited to get feedback'.  Really?  You're that stupid?

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

Ugh.... Maddie Maddie Maddie.  I know I am overruled but I never got the hype. 

Same, i'm sure she's a sweet young lady but never saw her as a DCC certainly not point or co-point...

• Love 15

Another episode where I feel like the producers are listening to us 😍; more vet interactions, more choreo!

Loved seeing the vets teach the rookies and Maddie back.

Ashlee, Gina and Lexie are such legends.

Well done DCCMTT! We know you're listening. 

Edited by WoofDCC
  • Love 17
10 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

That made me uncomfortable. Kelli doesn’t have to ask Travis if she is being old fashioned; she has a daughter about the same age that she could check herself against. It just felt like she was trying to influence his opinion.

I'm sure Kelli is on a 1st name basis with the cheerleader directors of the other NFL football teams. I would have asked one of them the question before asking a guest chorographer.  would have been nice if Travis said " I don't give a damm what a dancer does off hours". 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 12

For all the hype they gave Travis Wall, that choreography did nothing for me.  It was uncomfortable to watch these girls sling their way through it with their awkward facial expressions (a la Vivian's lyrical solo in season 9).  But I do love me some Travis!  He's delightful.

Please, just cut Ashley already.  Why the need to drag it out?  Her dancing has been a snooze-fest since day one.

It's so obvious that K&J are trying to confirm their desire to cut Ava over the TikTok video without being the only bad guys.  Be leaders and make that call yourselves - leave Travis (or any other guest choreographer) out of it.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, evasworld123 said:

I seem to be in the minority here but I didn’t mind Kelli getting his opinion! Travis is younger and more familiar with current themes of social media. He defended Ava at first saying it’s all about the content of the dancing, etc. Just didn’t like the flipping off the camera bit. Which I agree with. I think Kelli knows she can be a bit old fashioned. Bouncing her opinion off a professional who hires dancers all the time didn’t seem super off base to me. 

Fair point.  I did enjoy Travis' response that he is hiring different dancers than they are, which put the ball back in their court (where it belongs).  I would expect that after countless years of being the leaders of DCC, K&J would have a good sense what the themes are among younger people.  They don't have many squad members outside of their late teens/early twenties.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Route66 said:

It's not as if they knew this woman, or she worked for the organization. It's obviously sad that someone has cancer, but that was entirely out of place and awkward. It was odd when she said, "I don't know if you know my story, but I have Stage 4 colon cancer." She's a complete stranger, so how would they know?

She is married to a somewhat-famous country singer & there have been several articles about her struggle in People magazine. So some girls might actually have known of her.  I didn’t - had to google her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Or build the case for what she wants to do by gathering other professional's opinions, so she doesn't have to be the bad guy?

I wish she had just been the “bad guy” and frankly I think it’s fair.  Expand on what she first said - if I had seen this pre camp, I wouldn’t have brought you in. I need dancers who make smart, mature choices.  Take a year to grow up some, clean up your social media, make smart choices and come back to us next year.  

Bad guy in this situation would have been cutting just bc risqué song choice, especially if Ava had consistently posted dance videos to trending songs. I might have left a song like WAP out of my social dance portfolio, or gone with an edited version, personally. And that’s likely the better judgement choice. But the DCC uses plenty of risqué songs in their routines, just not as explicit. 

• Love 6

Kelli in theory, is asking Travis Wall at least a week (probably more) after they "stumbled across Ava's social media," and she happens to ask Travis ON CAMERA. 

Sorry but this whole thing is a made for tv storyline. First of all, any respectable organization doesn't "stumble across social media." They check it prior to admission to camp. Secondly, any director would make a decision on the spot. Yes or no. Teachable moment, warning and then let it go. Or cut the girl. There is zero reason she needs ask Travis Wall on camera and drag this out. That's the most ridiculous idea ever.

Why are they dragging this "scandalous moment" out? Good for TV, unfortunately at Ava's expense week after week. I think its unfortunate they are treating this as if its some "character flaw." Ava is 19.

• Love 15

Kelli seems different to me this season. Really it’s been a slow evolution but she’s much less herself and much more like a judge on any other mainstream reality competition show and it’s very apparent now. She almost acts like she’s offended when she has to cut someone. I don’t like it.

Criscella’s choreography was really fun to watch and you could tell the girls were having a great time with it. I didn’t enjoy Travis Wall’s choreo at all. It was certainly creative but not entertaining.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Kelli seems different to me this season. Really it’s been a slow evolution but she’s much less herself and much more like a judge on any other mainstream reality competition show and it’s very apparent now. She almost acts like she’s offended when she has to cut someone. I don’t like it.

Criscella’s choreography was really fun to watch and you could tell the girls were having a great time with it. I didn’t enjoy Travis Wall’s choreo at all. It was certainly creative but not entertaining.

Agree.

The edge is gone, the biting critiques are gone.

She's much softer.

Perhaps in the era of cancel culture, her and Judy are playing it safe.

I would never advocate for some of the early years Kelli as she could be down right mean but now she's not saying anything!! 😂

Edited by WoofDCC
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, WoofDCC said:

Agree.

The edge is gone, the biting critiques are gone.

She's much softer.

Perhaps in the era of cancel culture, her and Judy are playing it safe.

I would never advocate for some of the early years Kelli as she could be down right mean but now she's not saying anything!! 😂

Huh. I think we might see it differently - I was thinking she’s not as nice as she used to be! I sense a different kind of attitude with her now. It’s almost hostile.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Kelli in theory, is asking Travis Wall at least a week (probably more) after they "stumbled across Ava's social media," and she happens to ask Travis ON CAMERA. 

Sorry but this whole thing is a made for tv storyline. First of all, any respectable organization doesn't "stumble across social media." They check it prior to admission to camp. Secondly, any director would make a decision on the spot. Yes or no. Teachable moment, warning and then let it go. Or cut the girl. There is zero reason she needs ask Travis Wall on camera and drag this out. That's the most ridiculous idea ever.

Why are they dragging this "scandalous moment" out? Good for TV, unfortunately at Ava's expense week after week. I think its unfortunate they are treating this as if its some "character flaw." Ava is 19.

Agree with this 1000% !!!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

The board was not close enough for me to read names.  I can tell Ashley W and Melanie were below the line because of their haircuts.  Bring it closer so we can actually learn something and see who got stickers, so we can see who moved up and moved down..  I hope someone can post that board here.  Kaydianna and another hopeful are well intrenched with the veterans.  I always like to see who the last veteran is.... last time it was Amanda and since she has been in showgroup I found it puzzling.  This time I cant tell which vet is last but it isnt her.  It appears Kelee is below the line and the way they have been featuring her I did not know she was at risk at all, so that makes me sad.  I really like Ashley W she has the perfect DCC look and seems so sweet, but she is messing up alot and does dance really small, they should have cut her this episode.  Why drag it on, seems heartless.

There's a screenshot of a new board on page 103 of the 2021 Auditions, Finals, Training Camp thread (warning: it is a spoiler thread). I didn't watch the episode, so not sure if it's the one you are referring to, so won't post it here.

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 3

I liked this entire episode. I like seeing them dance on the field and I hope that continues. 

I liked Travis’ routine because it challenges them in a different style. The best part is there was no story of a girl hiding because that’s not their style - like back in the old days with Breelen or Ashley Pro.

Ive never been a big fan of Maddie. But I can see how she is the perfect company girl. I’m glad she retired. I am glad too that she encouraged the girls who are getting cut.

I thought it was fine to ask about Ava’s behavior. He has seen her dance. I doubt that question would influence his opinion on her dancing. 

It may actually be true this year that it’s the best class ever. We don’t see the group of strugglers like we used to see. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I noticed that too. At first I thought it was her foot, as she could be having minor pain or discomfort, while expecting to be a Drill Sargent on camera , while holding long rehearsals. Then its holding the early rehearsals in the stadium - more people to report to than if they were in their bubble or their actual studio. Also  she's been in this position a looonnngg time... and I am sure there are moments , when its gets old and she doesn't feel like dealing with something, yet again.

It does sting when you find out that technology has outpaced your current knowledge. Maybe she though she had enough verbiage in the application or rule book for the SM usage, or enough spies searching platforms, yet here we go again, with someone doing something that squeaked in.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sATL said:

I noticed that too. At first I thought it was her foot, as she could be having minor pain or discomfort, while expecting to be a Drill Sargent on camera , while holding long rehearsals. Then its holding the early rehearsals in the stadium - more people to report to than if they were in their bubble or their actual studio. Also  she's been in this position a looonnngg time... and I am sure there are moments , when its gets old and she doesn't feel like dealing with something, yet again.

I see what you’re talking about in Kelli, and I kind of get it. After this many seasons of TV show, you think these training camp candidates would know some of this. I just cannot imagine trying out without watching a few seasons, practicing the kicks and jump split and trying to learn the field intro. And I’m sure the tryout paperwork offers social media guidance. But geez, at least make your accounts private during camp, or clean up anything questionable. They should know enough about DCC to know what’s appropriate.

• Love 4
On 10/15/2021 at 11:00 PM, Mardo2044 said:

Ugh.... Maddie Maddie Maddie.  I know I am overruled but I never got the hype. 

I don’t either . They act like she’s the best thing to happen to DCC since Kelli . Nope! So over Maddie 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, GenX88 said:

I don’t either . They act like she’s the best thing to happen to DCC since Kelli . Nope! So over Maddie 

I wish she would have given concrete advice as to what she did in what she called her "gap year". 

" I dove into myself and found personality traits that  wanted to exude when I came back"...🤔 

Not only you have to be better the next year than the season you get cut, but you also have be better than the next year's 1st time candidates-the ones who are spending the "gap year" time getting better too.

Something like I grew my hair and got it styled at the DCC salon, I went to a makeup artist to get a fresh look/colors/application ,  I hired xxx to do my solo routine, I went to every home game and took notes on the style/routine, I took private classes with xxx, I became roommates or friends with DCC alumni xxx, I studies the xxx seasons of this show, I danced for professional or college team xxx, did something to work on being polished and informed 19 year old, did this techique to work on high kicks/fexibility to be ready at auditions, I incorporated this diet/fitness routine to stay in top condition, I took challenging masterclasses to work on memory , fast learning, and other genres, called Melissa R to film and reviewed footage, etc...

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 4
  • Love 11

I'm with everyone that is not seeing the Maddie hype.  She's officially KaShara 2.0, the one former DCC that TPTB have deemed the greatest thing ever and will be interjected at every possible opportunity.  I'm willing to bet that it has more to do with which former DCCs are willing to be featured on the show, but still.  Maddie is maybe a sliver above your run-of-the-mill average dancer.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, EvergreenLove said:

I'm with everyone that is not seeing the Maddie hype.  She's officially KaShara 2.0, the one former DCC that TPTB have deemed the greatest thing ever and will be interjected at every possible opportunity.  I'm willing to bet that it has more to do with which former DCCs are willing to be featured on the show, but still.  Maddie is maybe a sliver above your run-of-the-mill average dancer.

I don’t even get Kashara 2.0 out of Maddie, because Kashara is great on camera and always looks like she’s having a blast. And she just wants you to have fun with her too. 

I like Maddie as a DCC, and she seems like a great teammate and leader. But the accolades given didn’t make sense. Amy too.  Good cheerleaders, good locker room, solid team leaders, but not the second coming of DCC Jesus. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Never was a Maddie fan, still not. Glad she’s having an awesome life as an All Star and if we got her instead of “Showmanship Melissa”, I could live with that.

Ava seems even younger than 19. I’d have cut her just for asking if “best solo” was good. I know they’re not hiring Mensa level I.Q., but she’s about as smart as a houseplant. The giggles annoy me too. Grow up or go away. 

I hate “flail around and look constipated” choreography, but Travis is awesome and I love his energy. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

I hate “flail around and look constipated” choreography, but Travis is awesome and I love his energy. 

Probably doesn't help that he seems to choregraph to most the saddest Top 40 songs there are...

"Crying 'cause you weren't around"..."I still see your face in the white cars, front yards....Can't drive past the places we used to go to..."..."Yeah, you said forever, now I drive alone past your street..."

heard the song a million times but seeing the TCC dance to it... Maybe K&J along with DJEJ should suggest a song first, then let Travis go back and "create"

Travis said " I am going to turn these girls out"... hmmm

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

It's OK not to be a Maddie fan...however, she was there as inspiration for the rookie candidates...She didn't make it her first year. So she shared with them what her post-cut year looked/felt like. 8 of them aren't going to make it...it's information they need. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, sATL said:

I wish she would have given concrete advice as to what she did in what she called her "gap year". 

" I dove into myself and found personality traits that  wanted to exude when I came back"...🤔 

Not only you have to be better the next year than the season you get cut, but you also have be better than the next year's 1st time candidates-the ones who are spending the "gap year" time getting better too.

Something like I grew my hair and got it styled at the DCC salon, I went to a makeup artist to get a fresh look/colors/application ,  I hired xxx to do my solo routine, I went to every home game and took notes on the style/routine, I took private classes with xxx, I became roommates or friends with DCC alumni xxx, I studies the xxx seasons of this show, I danced for professional or college team xxx, did something to work on being polished and informed 19 year old, did this techique to work on high kicks/fexibility to be ready at auditions, I incorporated this diet/fitness routine to stay in top condition, I took challenging masterclasses to work on memory , fast learning, and other genres, called Melissa R to film and reviewed footage, etc...

She might have given more specifics/answered questions off camera (hope so anyway). It would have been nice if they showed some of that if she did.

I like her better as a mentor than Melissa because she was a solid DCC (not all the hype we're fed, but a solid team member) and, most important, much more recent. She knows what's going on today, what it's like to be in camp & on the team today whereas Melissa was years ago (and if they keep Maddie around for years, I'll say the same again -- get someone more current to give advice).

• Love 4

I felt sad to see Melanie get cut because I thought she was adorable with great style, but she probably shouldn't have been let into training camp in the first place.

I also think it was weird that they never showed her during the kick line when they had that kicking instructor there and then we just had to watch the playback during this episode.

I think Ashley is very pretty and has the DCC look, but I don't know if someone deserves to stay just because they are well liked. 

I miss the older seasons of DCC when Kelli just cut the girls and gave them honest feedback as to why.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

I like her better as a mentor than Melissa because she was a solid DCC (not all the hype we're fed, but a solid team member) and, most important, much more recent. She knows what's going on today, what it's like to be in camp & on the team today whereas Melissa was years ago (and if they keep Maddie around for years, I'll say the same again -- get someone more current to give advice).

You guys can hate on Maddie all you want but I'm betting everyone can agree we would rather see Maddie the mentor than Melissa any day.

• Love 15

I might be in the minority but I loved seeing and hearing Lexie on this episode. She doesn’t speak in sing-song  or vocal fry like Gina, and she seems mature, articulate and honest with her teaching and feedback. She also looked gorgeous in the close up talking head.

Also curious that Rachel wasn’t one selected to do the veteran feedback, if she’s the DCC golden child. She made 1st group leader while Ashlee is a 2nd group leader… Sus. 

I also thought Maddie looked the freshest and best she’s ever looked. The lighter hair color looks great on her. 

Edited by Stee
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, writeme93 said:

I felt sad to see Melanie get cut because I thought she was adorable with great style, but she probably shouldn't have been let into training camp in the first place.

I agree - she was a second coming of Christina Riccelli for me, in looks and technique.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kamal said:

You guys can hate on Maddie all you want but I'm betting everyone can agree we would rather see Maddie the mentor than Melissa any day.

🤔 

... hmmm ... 

Yeah. You're actually right. Good point. 

• Love 3