Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Tears, Jeers, and 25 Cent Martinis

• Start Topic

Is Johnny trying to win the Emmy for best performance in a reality show? Just kidding. But, seriously, his histrionics are like bad acting. I guess he figures he'll get more attention if he gets the villain edit. Ok. We get it. Bao is not your type. You can't stand being in the same room with her. You've made that very clear. 

• Love 5

I'm a little proud of Brett for not acting hateful towards Ryan, but then I'm disappointed because she punked out of addressing the issues. She's bottling it up & she might explode. Not good. Avoiding discussing reality is also bad. So. 😅 

• Love 4

Bao should not be taking verbal abuse from that bony, gross and ugly man. She should have packed her stuff and thrown a fit. Tell Pastor Cal thanks for setting me up with an abusive douchebag. She should be able to sue IMO. 
Brett also needs to up and leave. It’s painful watching these two with the nothingness that is their relationship. He wants a different physical type. Why didn’t she ask him the questions Cal told her to ask him? Put him on the spot. Tired of all their talking without saying what needs to be said. 
Zack needs to leave forever too. There’s no way you can say if I had to make a decision today it would be no - to Michaela. She’s not going to accept an answer like that. I guess it’s good he did ask though so that he can see the crazy is still there waiting to come out.

Im still a little hopeful for Gil and Myrla and Jose and Rachel.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

Bao should not be taking verbal abuse from that bony, gross and ugly man. She should have packed her stuff and thrown a fit. Tell Pastor Cal thanks for setting me up with an abusive douchebag. She should be able to sue IMO. 
Brett also needs to up and leave. It’s painful watching these two with the nothingness that is their relationship. He wants a different physical type. Why didn’t she ask him the questions Cal told her to ask him? Put him on the spot. Tired of all their talking without saying what needs to be said. 
Zack needs to leave forever too. There’s no way you can say if I had to make a decision today it would be no - to Michaela. She’s not going to accept an answer like that. I guess it’s good he did ask though so that he can see the crazy is still there waiting to come out.

Im still a little hopeful for Gil and Myrla and Jose and Rachel.

Yes, Johnny's words are cruel. I would check out (in my mind) at that point and finish up for the money.

6 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

Johnny's "Bao, Bao, Bao, what am I going to do with Bao" and how he repeats her name over and over when he's raging is chilling to me. It's like he's using her name as a weapon.

Yes...as if the problem is Bao. Earth to Johnny!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lindz said:

I'm a little proud of Brett for not acting hateful towards Ryan, but then I'm disappointed because she punked out of addressing the issues. She's bottling it up & she might explode. Not good. Avoiding discussing reality is also bad. So. 😅 

It's worse than that. She believes the responsibility for the success of the marriage is completely in Ryan's hands. And she's actually not taking any responsibility.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Michael is a little too physically explosive. She instantaneously loses control and becomes compelled to act out physically--throwing things over, slamming doors. That's bad for any relationship, whether it's a man or a woman.  No one really wants that.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

Why didn’t she ask him the questions Cal told her to ask him?

IMO because Brett's afraid of the answer, even though deep down she must know what it will be.

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, ByTor said:

IMO because Brett's afraid of the answer, even though deep down she must know what it will be.

When Ryan's sister mentioned it might be because his mind/heart is elsewhere, Brett seemed to perk up a little. At this point, it almost seems like she would prefer, "he's interested in someone else" to, "He's just not that into you."

I get it. One would likely feel to her like his character flaw, while the other might feel like there's something wrong with her. 

Edited by NoWhammies
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

When Ryan's sister mentioned it might be because his mind/heart is elsewhere, Brett seemed to perk up a little. At this point, it almost seems like she would prefer, "he's interested in someone else" to, "He's just not that into you."

I get it. One would likely feel to her like his character flaw, while the other might feel like there's something wrong with her. 

Brett has said that she has been rejected by men in the past. This is one of the reasons Ryan is trying very hard not to hurt her.

It might be better for her mindset that he be hung up on an ex than prefer to be single rather than be with her.

Like I said before, I hope she finds a good guy for her after this show is over.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6

I just wondered if people who disappear on people they date are also the ones who run from confrontation with potential partners. 🤔 They don't fight for relationships. Ryan seems like one. He's a two-fer. He avoids confrontation & he would definitely rather disappear than tell Brett he's done. 😂😂

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2021 at 10:43 AM, qtpye said:

Michaela really fooled me. On the wedding day all the chemicals in her body must have lined up. She looked radiant

She was probably on a lot of “ happy” pills.  Or, she was thrilled to finally land a sucker.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, TheBride said:

It's worse than that. She believes the responsibility for the success of the marriage is completely in Ryan's hands. And she's actually not taking any responsibility.

Yes, I would bet that whatever happened on the flight was so disturbing to him that he will never be able to look at her the same again.  

The other thing was the revelation that the number of times she hears "you're a great girl, but..."  Have that discussion in private therapy session.  Instead, she's put it in his head that no one stays around -- that there is something wrong with her.   A confident person is like hey, didn't work out and that's a good thing.  

So to me, he sees unbalanced (the flight), insecure (everyone leaves me), dramatic (everyone leaves me), the unsexy (again, everyone leaves me) and adding to that someone who is apparently very messy and lazy which would make you think she's got depression issues.

I'll also bet that when they were getting married and her wedding dress was essentially a boob show, he turned off instead of on.  If you can't be somewhat demure on your wedding day, to me it would be a big red flag that this woman thinks her only assets are her boobs.  That dress was almost cut to her navel and tacky AF.  I have big boobs too, and would feel exposed in a dress like this.

c533831e-a8a5-4c4c-8b64-1f512b1482b1.jpg

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 4
On 10/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, Matty said:

Is Johnny trying to win the Emmy for best performance in a reality show? Just kidding. But, seriously, his histrionics are like bad acting. I guess he figures he'll get more attention if he gets the villain edit. Ok. We get it. Bao is not your type. You can't stand being in the same room with her. You've made that very clear. 

There is definitely a part of me that thinks he is hoping this reality show gets him into the acting biz.

I'd also bet this dipshit has such low self-awareness that he *thinks* the audience is in love with him, not her and he's probably shocked seeing the fan reaction online.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

Yes, I would bet that whatever happened on the flight was so disturbing to him that he will never be able to look at her the same again.  

The other thing was the revelation that the number of times she hears "you're a great girl, but..."  Have that discussion in private therapy session.  Instead, she's put it in his head that no one stays around -- that there is something wrong with her.   A confident person is like hey, didn't work out and that's a good thing.  

So to me, he sees unbalanced (the flight), insecure (everyone leaves me), dramatic (everyone leaves me), the unsexy (again, everyone leaves me) and adding to that someone who is apparently very messy and lazy which would make you think she's got depression issues.

I'll also bet that when they were getting married and her wedding dress was essentially a boob show, he turned off instead of on.  If you can't be somewhat demure on your wedding day, to me it would be a big red flag that this woman thinks her only assets are her boobs.  That dress was almost cut to her navel and tacky AF.  I have big boobs too, and would feel exposed in a dress like this.

Bet her Father was mortified to walk her down the isle in that.  A bit much.

• Love 3

Ryan HAS told her repeatedly that he doesn't feel towards her the way she feels; that he is still waiting to feel attracted other, that he LIKES her a lot, etc. She just doesn't want to hear it, but she knows. She keeps throwing it out there, "are you open to working towards those feelings?" He truly doesn't want to hurt her feelings, but he needs to just say NO the next time that comes up. She does know, as she has said that she just wants to know why the feelings have changed - she knows when because she told Pastor Cal that she did. So, something must have happened (could still be the plane ride we didn't see?) that we have not seen. But, Brett is fully aware and very sad and disappointed, but she knows.

And, as others have said, if she stops to really think about it, does she just want him because he is her "husband" or does she really have enough in common with him to be a real match? We know they don't have much in common and quite a few very significant differences. It is great that they both love dogs, but as we saw with Olivia and Brett (the other one), love of pets is NOT enough.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

It would help Brett to be less messy when she's looking for another guy.

As soon as I saw that crazy colored hair, I knew something was up.  That color is neither here nor there.  She reminds me of that actress who’s name just flew out of my head.  It will come to me in bed tonight.

• LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Ryan HAS told her repeatedly that he doesn't feel towards her the way she feels; that he is still waiting to feel attracted other, that he LIKES her a lot, etc. She just doesn't want to hear it, but she knows. She keeps throwing it out there, "are you open to working towards those feelings?" He truly doesn't want to hurt her feelings, but he needs to just say NO the next time that comes up. She does know, as she has said that she just wants to know why the feelings have changed - she knows when because she told Pastor Cal that she did. So, something must have happened (could still be the plane ride we didn't see?) that we have not seen. But, Brett is fully aware and very sad and disappointed, but she knows.

And, as others have said, if she stops to really think about it, does she just want him because he is her "husband" or does she really have enough in common with him to be a real match? We know they don't have much in common and quite a few very significant differences. It is great that they both love dogs, but as we saw with Olivia and Brett (the other one), love of pets is NOT enough.

What did happen on the plane?  I don’t remember.  Plus, having things in common doesn’t make a marriage.  That’s where compromising comes in.  You do things that he likes and he does things that you like.  It works.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

What did happen on the plane?  I don’t remember.  Plus, having things in common doesn’t make a marriage.  That’s where compromising comes in.  You do things that he likes and he does things that you like.  It works.

They didn't say -- happened off camera apparently but it sounded like he was shell shocked over it and she was embarrassed.

Not sure if it was a bad anxiety attack while flying, but I'm going to guess it was major water works + extreme rudeness with the flight attendants?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

They didn't say -- happened off camera apparently but it sounded like he was shell shocked over it and she was embarrassed.

Not sure if it was a bad anxiety attack while flying, but I'm going to guess it was major water works + extreme rudeness with the flight attendants?

I’m going to watch that episode right now.  I’ll keep you posted. Lol

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I agree to an extent (married 31 years here), but I think their fundamental differences are too much and Ryan saw that early.  He loves to travel, is an adventurer, wants to do physically demanding things, etc.  She can't even fly.  I think there was a HUGE freakout on the plane that embarrassed him and then the way she was so afraid of the kayaking on the honeymoon, etc.  That, along with their political differences just make this such a bad match.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

100% YES on that point for me! 

Tasteless, Tasteless, Tasteless! 

Didn't Brett look in the mirror before walking down the aisle??  In addition to the exposure there was a bit of "sag" that was not attractive and certainly didn't evoke the response she apparently was expecting from her "husband."

That choice of attire (and the thought that went into it) is reflected in many other aspects of Brett's lifestyle and preferences that apparently did not appeal to Ryan, so there's that!

QUESTION FOR BRETT:  Allowing for the fact that you're contractually obligated to the show to "stick it out" why couldn't you have "sensed" the aversion your "husband" had to you early and assumed an air and demeanor of self-respect and dignity instead of groveling over him, giving him compliments and asking him questions about his "feelings."

I found that so demeaning and embarrassing for her!! 

Maybe this is a great time for Brett to get into therapy to process the rejection she reports experiencing with men she chooses to date (now "marry)  and find ways to accentuate her "positives" and eliminate her "negatives." (...as that old show tune describes😊)

I

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

I agree to an extent (married 31 years here), but I think their fundamental differences are too much and Ryan saw that early.  He loves to travel, is an adventurer, wants to do physically demanding things, etc.  She can't even fly.  I think there was a HUGE freakout on the plane that embarrassed him and then the way she was so afraid of the kayaking on the honeymoon, etc.  That, along with their political differences just make this such a bad match.  

I just watched that whole plane thing.  Nothing happened on the plane, but afterwards, they both said Brett was extremely nervous, and Ryan calmed her down.  Most people I know don’t care to fly, so they either have a drink or take a relaxer.  I think something else happened when they got to the keys, but he’s not saying.  Maybe he wants to be a gentlemen and is saying nothing.  Something he doesn’t like about her.  I think as soon as you meet a person, you sort of know if you want to go forward.  He doesn’t and I hope we find out what it was.

• Love 3

We were not shown what happened on the plane.  But it was mentioned that she had a great fear of flying.  I know people who have to take a lot of anti anxiety  medication just to physically walk onto the plane.  Sometimes it doesn’t work and they have to cancel their trip. I’m going to guess he had to physically   help her onto the plane and deal with panic attacks on  the flights.  For people who aren’t used to that, it could be quite off putting.  Especially if she does that about many things.  Which Ryan mentioned that she was anxious about a lot of things. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

I really wish Dr. Pepper or the producers would push Johnny a little bit on the "trust issues" he keeps mentioning with Bao. Is this about the stupid gourmet meals "lie" again*? Has she lied about other things? I can see where he would say that they don't communicate well or they need different things from each other, but he mentioned trust several times and we haven't been shown any real breach of trust issues, as far as I'm concerned.

(*I don't consider it a lie and I can't believe how hung up he got on that conversation.)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I really wish Dr. Pepper or the producers would push Johnny a little bit on the "trust issues" he keeps mentioning with Bao. Is this about the stupid gourmet meals "lie" again*? Has she lied about other things? I can see where he would say that they don't communicate well or they need different things from each other, but he mentioned trust several times and we haven't been shown any real breach of trust issues, as far as I'm concerned.

(*I don't consider it a lie and I can't believe how hung up he got on that conversation.)

I watched again from the beginning.  As time went by, he got angry and very disrespectful to her.  He’s making it like everything is her fault.  What a weasel.  Plus, the crying bit isn’t manly at all.  He is very unappealing.  Wha, wha wha.  Give him a pacifier and shut him up.

• Love 3

Johnny’s dad never showed him love or approval. 

ETA: Thanks for nothing, Johnny’s dad. The least you can do after seeing this or listening to your family’s report is pay for his therapy.

Edited by buttersister
15 hours ago, greeneyedscorpio said:
18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I agree to an extent (married 31 years here), but I think their fundamental differences are too much and Ryan saw that early. 

I agree. While having things in common doesn't make a marriage, it certainly helps.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

It looks like Gil is headed for "yes" on decision-day, but I'm not 100% sure. After six weeks, she's still pretty standoff-ish and Myrla seems to show deeper feelings only after a few martinis. He may decide that he needs someone who is much more affectionate and can form a closer bond. Then there's the materialistic side of Myrla which is a real consideration. I like Myrla, she's smart and successful, but I'm not sure Gil is as eager to make this permanent as we thought. He's handsome, funny, smart, sincere, family-loving, and he's a firefighter! Gil has it all. Too much "hard-to-get" may be a mistake on Myrla's part.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TheBride said:

It looks like Gil is headed for "yes" on decision-day, but I'm not 100% sure. After six weeks, she's still pretty standoff-ish and Myrla seems to show deeper feelings only after a few martinis. He may decide that he needs someone who is much more affectionate and can form a closer bond. Then there's the materialistic side of Myrla which is a real consideration. I like Myrla, she's smart and successful, but I'm not sure Gil is as eager to make this permanent as we thought. He's handsome, funny, smart, sincere, family-loving, and he's a firefighter! Gil has it all. Too much "hard-to-get" may be a mistake on Myrla's part.

Hmmm I don’t know.  On the other hand, he might like a challenge, and he seems to like that she’s a Princess.  I also have a feeling that they are having sex, and she’s a hot number in bed.  She’s not a lunatic like Michaela, and looks even tempered, and when they look at each other, I see something good.  You never know tho.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TheBride said:

After six weeks, she's still pretty standoff-ish and Myrla seems to show deeper feelings only after a few martinis.

And when she is alone just talking to the cameras. She doesn't say those things to him. I will admit, they sure are surprising me, but it could also be the strategy they came up with right away when they knew it wouldn't work and the producers are going along with them, giving them good edits.

For me, the worst Brett/Ryan exchange was when she made up that ridiculous game where she made up 100 cards with reasons why she liked him. 100!!! And he came up with nothing! That was pretty early on after the honeymoon, and was so cringey (I know that's not a word.)

• Love 7
On 10/19/2021 at 11:02 AM, Retired at last said:

For me, the worst Brett/Ryan exchange was when she made up that ridiculous game where she made up 100 cards with reasons why she liked him. 100!!! And he came up with nothing! That was pretty early on after the honeymoon, and was so cringey (I know that's not a word.)

OMG, it was horrendous.  

I hope that was producer driven and not something she came up with on her own because even though they are married, it's too soon to be going all in.  And most of the things were like her groveling at his feet thankful for the crumb.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Retired at last said:

If someone had done that for me after we'd only known each other a few weeks, that would have freaked me out.  Brett just reeks of desperation and that wouldn't be appealing to any man.  Slow your roll, Brett.

• Love 5
On 10/17/2021 at 9:50 AM, NoWhammies said:

Johnny's "Bao, Bao, Bao, what am I going to do with Bao" and how he repeats her name over and over when he's raging is chilling to me. It's like he's using her name as a weapon.

That was so overacted, I thought he was trying out for a part in a movie. Lol.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

That was so overacted, I thought he was trying out for a part in a movie. Lol.

Johnny acts like a "mental case." 

How he functions "normally" in a work environment with various types of people, some of whom may confront him with behaviors he doesn't relate to or like is quite interesting to me.  I wonder if he displays his "theatrics" on a regular basis or only when the MAFS cameras are rolling.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Retired at last said:

And when she is alone just talking to the cameras. She doesn't say those things to him. I will admit, they sure are surprising me, but it could also be the strategy they came up with right away when they knew it wouldn't work and the producers are going along with them, giving them good edits.

Cringery...cringosity....cringiness....I'm enjoying this...  ;-)

8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Hmmm I don’t know.  On the other hand, he might like a challenge, and he seems to like that she’s a Princess.  I also have a feeling that they are having sex, and she’s a hot number in bed.  She’s not a lunatic like Michaela, and looks even tempered, and when they look at each other, I see something good.  You never know tho.

I thought they were only smooching....

• Love 1
On 10/18/2021 at 10:30 AM, Boo Boo said:

I missed something. What flight? What happend on the flight....which episode? Thanks.

The hypothetical decision day breakdown between Zack & Michaela shows why people should explain what they mean or ask what was meant. She's definitely not mature enough to ask or not get upset. Zack should've said what he said later, that they're on their way to a yes (which is a lie) and maybe that would've prevented her from getting so upset (but she'd still be petty 😅). It's just shocking he didn't say that, given how fragile male egos are that he wouldn't try to say it nicely. Ugh

• Love 1

Early on in the marriage, like day 1 or 2, Brett said wanted to present the real Brett, and not all made up. I get her point, but I think she needed to continue with trying to gussy herself up for a while— until she had Ryan “hooked,” so to speak.First reel the guy in, THEN you can start revealing messy and makeup-less Brett. That being said, I think she’s awesome.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2021 at 1:27 AM, Lindz said:

I just wondered if people who disappear on people they date are also the ones who run from confrontation with potential partners. 🤔 They don't fight for relationships. Ryan seems like one. He's a two-fer. He avoids confrontation & he would definitely rather disappear than tell Brett he's done. 😂😂

I think not dealing with confrontation is a big part of it. It is much easier to ghost than to say “I no longer want to see you”, particularly early in the relationship. I also think some men ghost because they want to leave their options open, either for relationships or late night booty calls.

19 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Johnny acts like a "mental case." 

How he functions "normally" in a work environment with various types of people, some of whom may confront him with behaviors he doesn't relate to or like is quite interesting to me.  I wonder if he displays his "theatrics" on a regular basis or only when the MAFS cameras are rolling.

I imagine J thinks of himself as amazingly charismatic and charming. Not to be unkind but he has a reputation as a player and that is probably not due to his amazing good looks.

I think he is offended he was matched with Bao because he thinks he can do much better. He judged her to be not good enough 15 years ago and thinks that everyone will agree with him that he is out of her league. I guess some people are just delusional to their own level of appeal.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I imagine J thinks of himself as amazingly charismatic and charming. Not to be unkind but he has a reputation as a player and that is probably not due to his amazing good looks

He and Bao both said he was a player in college.  Which totally floors me because I see nothing smooth and charming about him.  He is socially awkward with everyone.  He seems physically awkward also.  I don’t see what would have allowed him to able to get the number of first dates he says he has had.   However he does seem to want to be the center of attention on the unfiltered episodes. 

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

He and Bao both said he was a player in college.  Which totally floors me because I see nothing smooth and charming about him.  He is socially awkward with everyone.  He seems physically awkward also.  I don’t see what would have allowed him to able to get the number of first dates he says he has had.   However he does seem to want to be the center of attention on the unfiltered episodes. 

I wonder if he made his conquests shower before doing the deed or after, yeah I don't believe he had that many women that his water bill would be effected, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 10/18/2021 at 10:30 AM, Boo Boo said:

The dress  would have been really pretty with a normal neckline and on someone without tattoos.  I like it from the waist down.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

I don’t see what would have allowed him to able to get the number of first dates he says he has had.  

Well, if he was obsessed with using dating sites on social media it's conceivable he "hooked up" with any # of ready, willing and/or able damsels.

It's just as conceivable that after a very short dose of "Johnny IN PERSON" the match fizzled and conquest in the BR never materialized.

I see him as a very "smooth" talker before actual "relationship" dynamics occur (just like he must have been with the interviewers for the show) . 

His problem is that he apparently can't fully reveal his "true self" after an initial encounter because, without professional therapy, he has no idea who that is and what he's trying to project to "first-timers" isn't consistent with what emerges afterward.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

Well, if he was obsessed with using dating sites on social media it's conceivable he "hooked up" with any # of ready, willing and/or able damsels.

It's just as conceivable that after a very short dose of "Johnny IN PERSON" the match fizzled and conquest in the BR never materialized.

I see him as a very "smooth" talker before actual "relationship" dynamics occur (just like he must have been with the interviewers for the show) . 

His problem is that he apparently can't fully reveal his "true self" after an initial encounter because, without professional therapy, he has no idea who that is and what he's trying to project to "first-timers" isn't consistent with what emerges afterward.

Agree with all of this, and it also makes sense of how much many of us--me included--on this board liked him at first, found him charming and even dashing, until his true colors were revealed.

• Love 2