Type keyword(s) to search

Book 6: A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Athena
  • Start Topic

Plus, adding there were four or five being played. But, on a still quiet night in the middle of the wilderness, I think even one could be impressive sounding if you were battered and tied to a tree, awaiting your husband to rescue you.

I was right there with Claire, that's why Diana's description is so perfect and made such an impact. I could see and hear with my mind.  

And I mean no disrespect, I just saw and heard bigger, louder drums. A wee disapointment :D

And while Claire&Jamie scenes when she was recovering from a fever were among the most beautiful in the book (per usual), I think Fergus's near suicide really, like REALLY deserved more than a mere paragraph in passing.

If I had a nickle for every time something happens to Fergus--usually off screen--and later just glossed over, I might be able to quit my day job. ;)

Seriously though, it's not limited to Fergus, but it does seem like he's Gabaldon's most repeat offender. After finishing all the Lord John stories I came to the conclusion Diana writes scenes, not stories. What I mean is, she's not writing a character journey with a beginning, middle and end as much as she seems to find all these historical facts or events when doing research and puts them all together in one book; doling them out to various characters as she goes along. Sometimes she'll delve into the matter deeper in another book, but more often than not, it's just something she latched onto and wanted to explore, IMO.

I finally started thinking of the series as a book complied by a historian from various journals, receipts and accounts found of this one family. Once assembled, all these bits and bobbles tells their life story; but not their complete life story. Much like history, the story is never really complete and we're left to fill in the gaps ourselves. I try to embrace the idea that Gabaldon has done this on purpose to give us that feeling of reading history, but my inner cynic is fully-convinced my hopeful side is a total dupe. ;)

I was right there with Claire, that's why Diana's description is so perfect and made such an impact. I could see and hear with my mind.  

And I mean no disrespect, I just saw and heard bigger, louder drums. A wee disapointment :D

Oh, no disrespect taken, just suggesting perhaps what you had heard in your head is maybe more accurate than what you found online. There's a local group of musicians around here who play traditional Celtic music. They have this amazing percussionist who plays with them and one of her many instruments she plays is a bodhran. The way she plays it--even alone and meant as entertainment only--it's more impressive than the video you linked to.

As a random side note: she plays spoons, uses this little wooden puppet, gourd rattles and other various old-timey percussion instruments as well. I wish I had video of it to share with you, it's pretty impressive.

• Love 1

I wish it was easier for me to express my thoughts in English, but I'll try.

After finishing all the Lord John stories I came to the conclusion Diana writes scenes, not stories. What I mean is, she's not writing a character journey with a beginning, middle and end as much as she seems to find all these historical facts or events when doing research and puts them all together in one book; doling them out to various characters as she goes along. Sometimes she'll delve into the matter deeper in another book, but more often than not, it's just something she latched onto and wanted to explore, IMO.

I finally started thinking of the series as a book complied by a historian from various journals, receipts and accounts found of this one family. Once assembled, all these bits and bobbles tells their life story; but not their complete life story. Much like history, the story is never really complete and we're left to fill in the gaps ourselves. I try to embrace the idea that Gabaldon has done this on purpose to give us that feeling of reading history, but my inner cynic is fully-convinced my hopeful side is a total dupe. ;)

I love how you put this, because it pretty much echoes what I feel about Diana's writing. Very often the story is plodding along but the scenes stand out as brilliant jewels, and that leaves me a bit confused but enthraled at the same time. Because the series isn't finished I'll give her some leeway.

I had never heard of the books, but watched the first half of the first season of the show and I knew I had to read the books. So I did. And like you, (I've been lurking for a while), I fell in love with the story and its characters.

On to the John Grey novellas....

Edited by asp
  • Love 2

[snip]

Anyhoo, I've been thinking of this notion of how the time travelers have come to the conclusion that they can't change the big things. I wonder if that's actually true, though. Granted, Jamie and Claire didn't change what happened at Culloden, but I wonder if they could have if they had, instead of trying to stop it, gotten behind Bonny Prince Charlie? Could they have changed it to a victory? I'm not blaming anyone, just thinking about choices and how even though Claire has the knowledge of the future, she still hasn't a clue to how it will all play out in the end. 

But they did end up getting behind Charles.  When they discovered that Jamie's name had been added to that list of his supporters they realized that they had to do everything they could to help him succeed, lest Jamie end up drawn & quartered by the British for treason after the Jacobites were defeated.

This is probably one of the most vivid descriptions (for me) in this book. It really stood out! So I went looking for what a bodhran was on line. 

I was surprised by what I found.

It's a rather small portable drum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XzyQwXnj8

and the sound is not very impressve.

I was expecting a much bigger instrument with a really deep threatenning sound.

Fantasy is so much better than reality!  ;D

I have a drum not unlike that is pretty loud.  I think that if I heard it at night in the woods, it would freak me right the fuck out.  

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 1

But they did end up getting behind Charles.  When they discovered that Jamie's name had been added to that list of his supporters they realized that they had to do everything they could to help him succeed, lest Jamie end up drawn & quartered by the British for treason after the Jacobites were defeated.

Yeah, but that was after they foiled all Charles's money plans. Again, not blaming anyone, but I was just considering if they had gotten behind the cause from the get-go--like helping the Prince with his wine deal rather than spoiling it--would've Charles been able to rally enough support earlier and not run out of money? I mean, there's so many factors we can't really say for sure, especially considering how a lot of the failure was due to the Prince's poor leadership more than anything, but I was pondering the some of the choices anyway.

So these books are riddled with small continuity errors that don't usually bother me because as long and detailed as these books are it's bound to happen.  However, in this book there is one that bothers me.

It's shortly after Malva falsely accuses Jamie of boning and impregnating her and Claire has run off to the woods.  Jamie follows and they sit and talk.  He starts telling her about Mary McNabb and how he boned her the night before he gave himself up to the English.  Claire is surprised to hear that he gave himself up - she said that she thought he was captured.

But, she totally knew.  The whole Dunbonnet thing wasn't just about a dude living in a cave but that the man gave himself up so his family and tenants could have the reward money. I remember Brianna being proud of him and Jamie and Claire even have a conversation about it in, I think, Voyager in which she tells him that he was a hero for giving himself up and he gets all flustered and denies it.  And now all of a sudden this is news to her? Ugh.

So yeah, that's aggravating. 

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 2

Yeah, but that was after they foiled all Charles's money plans. Again, not blaming anyone, but I was just considering if they had gotten behind the cause from the get-go--like helping the Prince with his wine deal rather than spoiling it--would've Charles been able to rally enough support earlier and not run out of money? I mean, there's so many factors we can't really say for sure, especially considering how a lot of the failure was due to the Prince's poor leadership more than anything, but I was pondering the some of the choices anyway.

Well, yes, they did get in the way of that wine deal but that was when they were still in "let's stop him" phase.  And they even wonder, in later books, what would have happened if they had not taken some of the action that they did, would it have been different and the conclusion is that there is no way to really come to a conclusion.  Who knows?  All they can do is live with the consequences. 

So these books are riddled with small continuity errors that don't usually bother me because as long and detailed as these books are it's bound to happen.  However, in this book there is one that bothers me.

It's shortly after Malva falsely accuses Jamie of boning and impregnating her and Claire has run off to the woods.  Jamie follows and they sit and talk.  He starts telling her about Mary McNabb and how he boned her the night before he gave himself up to the English.  Claire is surprised to hear that he gave himself up - she said that she thought he was captured.

But, she totally knew.  The whole Dunbonnet thing wasn't just about a dude living in a cave but that the man gave himself up so his family and tenants could have the reward money. I remember Brianna being proud of him and Jamie and Claire even have a conversation about it in, I think, Voyager in which she tells him that he was a hero for giving himself up and he gets all flustered and denies it.  And now all of a sudden this is news to her? Ugh.

So yeah, that's aggravating. 

I had the exact same reaction to this, toolazy. If it hadn't been a major plotpoint, I wouldn't have even blinked at it...but it was! That's how they found out Jamie was in prison and were able to locate him in the past. Before Brianna found the Dunbonnet tidbit and Fiona filled in the rest, they had no clue what had happened to Jamie. So, yeah, it bugged me too.

Just wait until you get to Echo in the Bone, trying to figure out the timetable will drive you crazy...or did me anyway.

Well, yes, they did get in the way of that wine deal but that was when they were still in "let's stop him" phase.  And they even wonder, in later books, what would have happened if they had not taken some of the action that they did, would it have been different and the conclusion is that there is no way to really come to a conclusion.  Who knows?  All they can do is live with the consequences. 

Oh, I know there's no going back. At the time I was just thinking about how Roger was so set on the idea that they couldn't change anything and Jamie was saying he thought they could, just not the big things. Like I said, I wasn't blaming anyone or anything, I was just thinking out loud, so to speak.

What else bugs me, was it somewhat explained how Malva had come to know the exact location of all Jamie's scars, including his more intimate body parts? Because that's how she convinced her father that something indeed had happened between them. Did she see him washing in a river, or something?

No, I don't think it was ever explained, but she did have access to Claire's notebook where she sketched in the particulars of her patients quite frequently. I finally decided she must have a diagram of Jamie's scars in there...I don't know. 

Yeah, I too found it baffling. Actually I find their entire conversation it the woods a bit weird. Claire, as much as I love her, suddenly threw a jealous fit and morphed into a screaming banshee over learning that Jamie had got a one night stand with a woman 25 years ago, before confining himself to a prison for what he believed would be the rest of his life. She knew that he married Laoghaire shortly before her return and that Geneva blackmailed him into sex once but otherwise she expected him to stay celibate to the end of his days, even though she and Jamie were never supposed to meet again and he was only in his mid 20' when she left him in the wake of Culloden *eye roll*

What else bugs me, was it somewhat explained how Malva had come to know the exact location of all Jamie's scars, including his more intimate body parts? Because that's how she convinced her father that something indeed had happened between them. Did she see him washing in a river, or something

Well, actually Claire doesn't throw a screaming banshee fit over learning of Mary McNabb.  Considering what just happened, she handles that revelation really well.  The only thing I think she ever handled badly was taking off the instant she found out about the hosebeast and even then she was pretty justifiably pissed off.

Maybe Malva found out about the scars from Ian.  Given his back, I can imagine how people might talk/gossip about it.  It's even possible that Claire told her and as far the reader knows, Claire doesn't know that Malva mentioned his butt scar so she can't mention that she's the one who told her. 

Edited by toolazy

I don't feel like going back to check, and it's not as if it's easy to check, but I'm pretty sure, while we were in Claire's head, that there was a throw away line, that Malva knew about Jamie's scars, because she probably watched him bathing in the river or something. She was a sneaky wench from the get go. I never trusted her and my opinion was vindicated!

• Love 1

I recall there was a passage where Jamie confesses to have sex with a woman when Claire was gone and she furiously demands to know "Who?!When!?Where?!", which basically makes Jamie cower (must have been a comical sight BTW) and then he reveals it was MaryMcNabb. But maybe it shouldn't be surprising since in DIA she calmly informed Jamie that she would kill him has he ever been unfaithful ;-))

Oh she does initially start to freak out but once Jamie explains the circumstances, she calms down and is understanding.  Especially since he made a point to tell her that Mary McNabb told him that she knew it would be something "less" than what he had with Claire. 

• Love 1
On 12/19/2015 at 8:31 PM, DittyDotDot said:

If I had a nickle for every time something happens to Fergus--usually off screen--and later just glossed over, I might be able to quit my day job. ;)

Hee, so this tradition continues? I just noted in the Voyager thread that I had forgotten Fergus gets his hand cut off, and that he always seems to get put through the wringer but in the background. Aw, Fergus.

(edited)

I very carefully haven't read any posts here yet, but I've just read the part where Jamie et al rescued Claire, and I was crying so hard I had to stop and compose myself.  Nothing else DG has written so far has affected me like this . . . I'll be back when I've finished the book.  I also have to stop reading at some point to watch the GOT finale, dammit!

ETA: Now that I've finished the book I realize there is a need to clarify which rescue I was referring to!  It's the one after her rape that moved me so much.

Edited by Wouldofshouldof
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, I've finished, and have the last 2 books sitting in front of me, waiting to be devoured.  I'm trying to slow down, because I'm going to hate it once I'm done and there's no more to read (will read the book 9 thread after I finish the last two, in order to avoid spoilers.  I was accidentally spoiled about Claire's rape in this one because I read a comment DB made about it while speaking of book 9).  

Unlike many of you, I can't choose a favorite among all the books.  I guess I think of them as just one continuing saga.  When I'm not reading, I want to get back to spending time with my friends the Frasers.  Pathetic, I know.

On 7/16/2015 at 3:36 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

"There is an oath upon her," he said to Arch, and I realized dimly that he was still speaking in Gaelic, though I understood him clearly.  "She may not kill, save it is for mercy or her life. It is myself who kills for her;" , followed by Wee Ian with:

"And I," said a tall figure behind him, softly.  Ian.

This is the part that had me crying so hard during that whole episode.

On 7/29/2015 at 8:58 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hmmm...is Jamie psychic?

As you all have mentioned, there have been 3 times now when Jamie has been able to connect with his loved ones in the 20th century.  I love that DG has given him this gift.  It makes him less . . . left out . . . of what Claire, Bree and Roger have been through with their traveling.  No, he'll never know what their modern day life is like, but he is still able to connect with them on some level.

And yeah, I did get a little fed up with DG throwing one calamity after another at them.  When Claire was taken off to stand trial for killing Malva, I thought I'd had enough at that point, only to have Bree subsequently taken by Bonnett.  Much as I love the stories and her writing does have its magical moments, I don't know, here's a thought; maybe, Diana, your books don't have to top 900 pages each time out and you could leave some of your ideas on the cutting room floor?  Or is she paid by the word?  ; )

ETA: Did I mention I was trying to slow down on the reading?  Yeah . . . not so much.  I'll be done with Echo in the Bone by the end of today. My problem is I have lots of down time to read at work!  Come on, Diana, write faster!  

Edited by Wouldofshouldof
  • Love 8

Well, I admit that I am sitting here a bit amazed.

I had resigned myself to never quite being as engrossed in the story after the first half of Voyager. It seemed to lose its magic when they left Scotland and each subsequent installment was less interesting than the last. I had to make myself read Book 5 and only because so many readers said that after 4 and 5, the storyline picked up again. I did not believe them. I was tired of reading about how everything smelled. I don't care a bit about Bree and Roger. Farming is not intriguing to me. Who are all of these new characters? I miss Jenny!

And then I reluctantly tackled ABOSAA and throughout the book found myself thinking, "This is really good!" I was spoiled about Claire's rape and rather furious about it because I am so incredibly over every single character in this series being raped. But I was riveted to the story. The rescue scene was amazing. I mean, Jamie turned Hodgepile's head completely around. That is seriously badass.

Did I still skim? Yes. But the story finally moved forward here and I think that is what the previous two books are missing. Not since finishing DIA have I been excited to read the next installment.

Before I go, I have to chime in on the convo about Galbadon short shifting important scenes. That bugged me in the beginning too, until I started to realize how often she goes back in later books and colors in the pencil drawings. I love when Claire and Jamie talk to each other about the past and how after thirty years of knowing each other, they are still interested in what the other has to say, and are still learning about each other. Their relationship was especially rich in this book.

And when Jamie said that the spirit of Murtagh was with him in the battle, not gonna lie: I cried. I am tearing up right now just thinking about it.

Edited by katville
  • Love 5

The one thing that I can say about skimming is that as much as I skip over, there are also passages that I read over and over again -- I think that I have reread these books more than any other series ever, and I am a huge Potter fan. So while sometimes DG throws in everything but the kitchen sink -- and then just goes ahead and tosses in the sink -- she can also write incredibly poignant prose. 

• Love 4
On 10/14/2018 at 4:56 AM, Macwhitten said:

I'm re-reading Breath of Snow and Ashes and cannot find the part about Mrs. Bug's death.  I read on my iPad, and I am well into the part where it should have happened, but it's not there.

Spoiler

It happens in An Echo in the Bone.  

Also, you might want to spoiler that since it happens in a later book. 

Edited by toolazy

So, I'm in the midst of my Pandemic Outlander Series Reread.  This is my third pass though the books, and each time, I've had different impressions of each book, and I always notice things I miss in previous reads.

From the first read, Book 6 has been a favorite of mine.  Read #2 only solidified that affection.  However, Season 5 of the show happened, and we witnessed Claire's abduction right there on our screens.  And, it was so poignantly played Cait and Sam to the point where it took my breath away.  And, given that it wasn't that long ago that we actually saw it, I've had some hesitations about going through this book again.  Of all of the terrible things that have happened to these beloved characters, Claire's abduction, for me, ranks among the most horrific.  Then, the show made it even more horrifying (see episode thread for a discussion on this).  So, I wasn't sure I wanted to crack into this one just yet.

But I did...

And my impressions of it are different.  I find myself being more embittered that Herself would put Claire through so much in this singular book (not to mention EVERYTHING she's been through).  Abduction, rape, fever, F-ING MALVA CHRISTIE, accusations of adultery, a bs imprisonment, grandchildren with perilous births.  I mean, how much is enough?  It's just making me grumpy, frankly.  And now I'm not sure this is one of my favorite books of the series.

I read the abduction section yesterday, couldn't put it down.  I'm in awe of how well-written it is, some of DG's best, really.  I'm reminded of someone surmising that DG writes really wonderful scenes but often loses direction in the story as a whole.  This is a pretty astute observation.  

• Love 1

Just popping in to say the following - 

FUCKING MALVA CHRISTIE!!  GAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Right before I went to bed last night, I made the mistake of reading the chapter where she accuses Jamie of impregnating her. 

#@$%^&(*#$@!!!!!!!!!  All of the bad words!

I slept fitfully and awoke in a mood so foul that three cups of coffee and a Hershey bar couldn't fix it.  I can't wait to read about her kicking the bucket tonight.  But then my reward is all of the ensuing craziness that Claire and Jamie must endure to clear their names.  Gah.  How was this book once my favorite of the series?

7 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Just popping in to say the following - 

FUCKING MALVA CHRISTIE!!  GAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Right before I went to bed last night, I made the mistake of reading the chapter where she accuses Jamie of impregnating her. 

#@$%^&(*#$@!!!!!!!!!  All of the bad words!

I slept fitfully and awoke in a mood so foul that three cups of coffee and a Hershey bar couldn't fix it.  I can't wait to read about her kicking the bucket tonight.  But then my reward is all of the ensuing craziness that Claire and Jamie must endure to clear their names.  Gah.  How was this book once my favorite of the series?

I am sad to see you sleepless, & mad. I haven’t gotten past the first chapter, lol! I do not want to be extra sleepless, or mad. I think you might benefit from a cocktail, just an idea! Or a wedding rewatch?

Edited by Cdh20
Added a thought
On 8/21/2020 at 8:57 PM, Cdh20 said:

I haven’t gotten past the first chapter, lol! I do not want to be extra sleepless, or mad. I think you might benefit from a cocktail, just an idea! Or a wedding rewatch?

This book is getting to me, and yet, I can’t put it down. (Maybe because I want it to end?)

I had an amazing glass of Cabernet, and it improved things tremendously. Perhaps, I should have started my day with that? But yes, a Wedding rewatch is in order after finishing this one.  

• Love 2
On 8/21/2020 at 8:57 PM, Cdh20 said:

Or a wedding rewatch?

Ok, so I'm not finished with the book yet (almost).  BUT, I decided to take your advice (kinda) and pop on some Outlander Wedding whilst on the treadmill.  I changed my mind at the last minute and did A. Malcolm instead.  Sigh.  Aside from some wonky dialogue (Claire would never threaten him with leaving if he did something immoral...hate that line) and Jamie's less-than stricken reaction to Bree's photos, it really is a great adaption of the book.  I had headphones in, which I highly recommend, as I picked up so much minor dialogue that I had missed before.  I think I need to go back through every episode and watch that way.  

Also, this book is picking up for me again as we reach the finish, per usual with DG's books.  The pattern - Intrigue to get you hooked, something big happens, boring minutiae, something stupid happens, breakneck speed of events about which you'd actually like more detail, the end.  

4 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Ok, so I'm not finished with the book yet (almost).  BUT, I decided to take your advice (kinda) and pop on some Outlander Wedding whilst on the treadmill.  I changed my mind at the last minute and did A. Malcolm instead.  Sigh.  Aside from some wonky dialogue (Claire would never threaten him with leaving if he did something immoral...hate that line) and Jamie's less-than stricken reaction to Bree's photos, it really is a great adaption of the book.  I had headphones in, which I highly recommend, as I picked up so much minor dialogue that I had missed before.  I think I need to go back through every episode and watch that way.  

Also, this book is picking up for me again as we reach the finish, per usual with DG's books.  The pattern - Intrigue to get you hooked, something big happens, boring minutiae, something stupid happens, breakneck speed of events about which you'd actually like more detail, the end.  

If you haven’t watched all the episodes with headphones then I recommend that you do that! The first time I watched a lot of it on the Tv screen, but the second Time through while simultaneously reading the books ( seasons 1-3), I watched on my iPad( in the dark) & I like it that way the most, you catch all the small details.  Maybe I will watch A Malcolm, on your advice! It’s funny that many of my fave  episodes ( a discussion that belongs in a different thread for sure) have Jamie & Claire not always quite on the same page.Examples of my friends texting me during A Malcolm to say “ why isn’t Jamie happier that Claire is back?” Or In The Wedding “ why is Claire so sad?” 

• Love 1

OK!  I finished this one very early this morning.  So many feelings.  I don't remember being SO emotional over the later chapters of this book the other times I've read it, but wow, I was a complete blubbering waterworks.

The realization that Amanda has a heart defect.  Totally felt it.  As a mom, I felt sick for Bree and for Claire, as well, knowing that there was nothing she could do to help her and that she would likely lose all of them for good.  Sobbing.

Jamie quietly slipping the gemstone into Claire's hand as she slept so that she could travel back with Bree, Rog, Jem, and Mandy.  Sobbing.  

After Bree and Co. go through the stones again, Jamie says to Claire, "For your sake, I will continue - though for mine alone...I would not." Sobbing.

Jamie dreaming of Jem picking up a phone and saying he wants to talk to Grandda.  Gasping.  (There is something special about Jamie we have yet to tap here, and Book 9 had better freaking do it. Herself has laid some groundwork already, i.e. ghost Jamie.  Now, I want to freaking know!)

Jem's box of letters showing up at Lallybroch.  Sobbing again.

Emotions, people! The end made me remember why I loved this book so much initially.  I feel validated.  A few weeks ago, I was ready to bump this one down on my series ranking list, but now I think I had it correct the first time - 

1. Outlander (Book 1)

2. Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Book 8 ) 

3. Fiery Cross (Book 5)

4. A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Book 6)

5. Voyager (Book 3)

6. Drums of Autumn (Book 4)

7. Dragonfly in Amber (Book 2)

8. An Echo in the Bone (Book 7)

And now, onto William, the Dismal Swamp, and wonky timelines. Gah, least favorite of the series.  I can do this.  

My life is a series of random thoughts about Outlander.  There, I've said it.

Today, a scene from Book 6 popped into my head unsolicited.  If you recall, Claire and fam attend the viewing of Hiram Crombie's mother-in-law, Mrs. Wilson.  Mishaps ensue - Hiram skimped on the services, Roger gets choked up on the sermon, Jem notices Mrs. Wilson isn't really dead, Mrs. Wilson sits up and chastises Hiram for being a miser, etc.  The death eater shows up, and Claire is taken aback.  He is a little deformed "as though he had been in a terrible car accident."  He speaks with an educated accent.  And, most importantly, his one working eye is the same color as Claire's, and she feels that she knows him, has seen him before, and that his "cruelly misshapen face" could replace her own.

My assumption had always been that this was a relation of Claire's.  I mentioned in another thread that my theory is that Claire's parents didn't die in a car accident but that they traveled through a time portal into the past, like Roger's dad did.  Is the death eater Claire's father?  If I recall, doesn't the death eater later pass away in this book?  Doesn't Malva find his body and that's how she sickens Claire and Tom Christie?  

It isn't like Herself to throw such a description out there without it meaning something larger.  The prequel about Jamie's parents is all well and good, but I want to know more about Claire's background.  We know how Brian and Ellen got together.  What about Claire's family?  How can she travel?  WHO WAS THE DEATH EATER?

On 1/18/2021 at 10:30 AM, SassAndSnacks said:

My life is a series of random thoughts about Outlander.  There, I've said it.

Today, a scene from Book 6 popped into my head unsolicited.  If you recall, Claire and fam attend the viewing of Hiram Crombie's mother-in-law, Mrs. Wilson.  Mishaps ensue - Hiram skimped on the services, Roger gets choked up on the sermon, Jem notices Mrs. Wilson isn't really dead, Mrs. Wilson sits up and chastises Hiram for being a miser, etc.  The death eater shows up, and Claire is taken aback.  He is a little deformed "as though he had been in a terrible car accident."  He speaks with an educated accent.  And, most importantly, his one working eye is the same color as Claire's, and she feels that she knows him, has seen him before, and that his "cruelly misshapen face" could replace her own.

It isn't like Herself to throw such a description out there without it meaning something larger.  The prequel about Jamie's parents is all well and good, but I want to know more about Claire's background.  We know how Brian and Ellen got together.  What about Claire's family?  How can she travel?  WHO WAS THE DEATH EATER?

Good catch so I just re-read that part. I never really thought they were related - I attributed her attack of the megrims to his overall creepiness. She described him as smelling of "pustulant sores and unhealed wounds."  So I sincerely hope he is not her relative.  If he is, time travel was a lot less kind to him than to her, and she hasn't exactly had a walk in the park. 

• Love 1

Hot Excerpt:

A Breath of Snow and Ashes:

I could see a deep blue gleam of speculation at the back of his eyes as he looked at me. He extended one finger, and very delicately ran it down the side of my neck, the slope of my breast where it disappeared into my bodice, and over the thin cloth covering my nipple—which promptly popped up like a puffball mushroom in response to this attention.

"The sort that make me want to take ye straight into the forest, far enough that no one will hear when I lay ye on the ground, lift your skirts, and split ye like a ripe peach," he said softly. "Aye?"

I swallowed, audibly.