Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Secession

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

I'm so glad this show is back! What an exciting episode. Where did Shiv go? WHERE DID SHIV GO? Is she on her way to Ken's? Will it be husband vs. wife? Did anyone else catch that Marsha was on Ken's side too? That will be fun.

I wonder if Roman ever had a chance at CEO and he blew it with that phone call to Logan or what. I kept thinking that Logan mainly wants a puppet so I thought Roman might actually have a shot. I'm glad it's Gerri, though. I really like her character. Interesting that she told Roman that she considers them to only have ever had a professional relationship.

"I'll lay you badly but I'll lay you gladly." So enticing, Roman. Everyone was so utterly themselves this episode. Greg was never more Greg when he was trying to be the media consultant and yelling "No comment, no comment, no comment!" Shiv was so self centered going on an on about what she needed from the Lisa the lawyer before finally realizing what was up. Tom trying to feel Logan out and Logan totally seeing through his antics. Ken was almost manic, like he was on a high.

I'm loving the Ken vs. Logan fight but I'm also terrified that Logan is going to use what he knows about Ken and the car accident somehow. If I have to see Ken beaten again...

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Kendall is not only going to whistleblow but vie for the throne with the shareholders?

Wouldn't the credibility of his allegations against Logan be undermined by the fact that he's also going for Logan's job?

That's why he's hiring the two women who are some kind of PR and social media wizards.

Dramatically, Kendall can't just go expose on Logan and then sit down, like his job's done.  He's always been one of the contenders for taking over the newspaper/media/entertainment/cruises/them parks empire -- the Paper Throne?  Or that's how the show has presented the 3 children.

But his odds are really worse than in S1, when he had teamed up with Sandy and Stewy and all the shares they represented.  Now he's going in cold and he's going to try to win over shareholders from both Logan and Stewy/Sandy?  Though it sounds like Shiv may join him after Logan named Gerri as the puppet-CEO.

Plus, in season 2, he was beaten down and was resigned to the fact that it was never going to be him.  Especially with what Logan held over him, the NRPI faux Chappaquiddick incident.

Why wouldn't Logan play that card?  It wouldn't necessarily help him but it could instantly knock out Kendall.  Is Ken going to tell Lisa Arthur and the PR wizards about that incident?

Rava is really being patient, when Naomi has Greg open her precious wine.  She can at least buy razors for women now.

Greg has cast his lot with Kendall or has he?  He has the papers but looks like he's going to have to answer to Logan at some point.  He could have had $250 million from his grandfather if he quit!

These people have to be really greedy to stick with Waystar Royco, the empire that tech is going to chew up and spit out.  Is the Paper Throne worth that much?  If they took the buyout, they'd have walked away with $10 billion.

Greg is hoping for more and the kids must as well.  They were all raised with privilege yet they all want the kingdom.  None of them are like Conor, who'd just be content with a "bridge" of $100 million or salvage a return from Willa's play with a hate-watch marketing campaign.

OK, Ken would stand to get much more but he's already stinking rich.  He may not be able to buy his own yacht yet but he's flying his girlfriends on private jets all over the world.  So it didn't make sense when Rava told him he either goes for the throne or he goes off to some remote monastery.  

I think it would have been interesting to see the Roy kids grow up, how Ken got into drugs, how Shiv ended up in politics and then ended up with Tom, how Roman got screwed up and developed his Mrs. Robinson thing for Gerri.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 5

Geri and Roman might be my favorite TV pairing of 2021. 

I love when the side characters talk about the Roys. Carl and Frank always crack me up.

Has anyone figured out what "run up off the beanstalk" means?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Oh happy return.

Kendall Roy is one of my all time favorite TV characters because of his conflicting needs to be the winner he thinks his dad wants him to be, and the authentic, genuine, better-than-the-stereotypical business guy he wants to be perceived as. And his head is too far up his own ass to see they are actually compatible.

Edited by FemmyV
  • Love 4

I love how surrounded by terrible people Naomi manages to feel like the worst to me. Kendall wanting her around really is a red flag--or a white drug flag. He should be listening to the PR people he hired.

Loved the new chryon: "I smiled at her by the photocopier...now I'm facing chemical castration!"

And also Logan's line, "If your hands are clean it's only because your whorehouse also does manicures."

No idea how any of this is going to shake out, but I'm in for the ride!

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

"It's A pope, not THE pope."

50 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I love how surrounded by terrible people Naomi manages to feel like the worst to me. Kendall wanting her around really is a red flag--or a white drug flag. He should be listening to the PR people he hired.

Loved the new chryon: "I smiled at her by the photocopier...now I'm facing chemical castration!"

And also Logan's line, "If your hands are clean it's only because your whorehouse also does manicures."

No idea how any of this is going to shake out, but I'm in for the ride!

Yeah, Naomi making herself at home, directing Gregg to the (expensive, dusty) wine is not a good look. But frankly Kendall's current mindset is similar to his episode and a half-long relationship with the actress - manic all day long.

No Marcia in the opening credits but Sally Ann who doesnt actually play the harp got another mention tonight!

Despite how entrenched in weirdness it may be I am forever rooting for Roman & Gerri.

ETA: ending credits dedicated the episode to Mark Blum (so great in Desperately Seeking Susan) who passed away last year.

Edited by chick binewski
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

My presumption was that it was a garbled nod to Jack and the Beanstalk where Kendall is Jack and Logan is the giant. 

Yeah, since that's where Logan's grind your bones to make my bread threat came from. 

Kendall's most unhinged moment had to be joking about Greg's (false) presumption he never killed anyone after the OJ reference, then yelling the juice is loose.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 11

Finally had a chance to binge the previous seasons of this show and I'm all set for the new one!

Right now, Kendall is certainly riding pretty high, but, well, you can already kind of tell that he might be riding a bit too high.  He is clearly already getting sloppy and overconfident, and I wonder if he is going to be fully prepared when Logan comes at him in "full beast" mode.  Not to mention whatever the rest of the Roy siblings do, which can always lead to things changing on the dime.  And if he and Rava weren't already having problems, then bringing your current squeeze to her home and watching as she opens a special bottle of wine (there is no way that I believe that was an accident on Naomi's part) would certainly do it!

Granted, despite his proud-like smirk at the end of last season, Logan really does seem to view Kendall as a threat now and is feeling the pressure.  No one was safe from his wrath here, but I love how the family, Gerri, Karl, and Hugo are just so use to it now.  Especially loved when Hugo (I think) was talking about how they were all pretty much fired, demoted, and then rehired and promoted all within the one helicopter ride.  At this point, getting shit on by Logan is a right of passage at this job!

Shiv is clearly not happy that Logan picked Gerri as acting CEO. over her, but I don't quite see here throwing in with Kendall (yet?)  I wonder what the change of plan was all about?

Part of me wonders if Roman's phone call to Logan was him purposely sabotaging his own chances, but even then, I think Gerri probably is the right call as acting CEO.  I think Logan appointing one of his other children would have came with too much baggage and caused too much drama.

Conner is back to being dismissed and stuck with simple tasks, heh.

Cousin Greg is Kendall's media manager now.  You go, buddy!  I'm sure you will nail it!

Curious to see how Tom will factor into everything: especially I suspect he isn't quite in Shiv's corner anymore.

I continue to be amazed over how Brian Cox can make the simple use of "Fuck off!" sound epic every single time he says it.

This should be fun!

• Love 8

I really hope we move past the "Logan pits his children against each other for control of the family media empire, control he was never really gonna give up anyway" scenario because this is at least the third time now the show has done this. I hope this time something irreversible finally happens. I mean, I know the show is called Succession and all, but...

Also, whither Marcia? I just did a series re-watch, and I think she disappeared after Logan didn't tell her about appointing Rhea as CEO? But I don't recall Marcia's "I'm Leaving You" scene...

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Part of me wonders if Roman's phone call to Logan was him purposely sabotaging his own chances, but even then, I think Gerri probably is the right call as acting CEO.  I think Logan appointing one of his other children would have came with too much baggage and caused too much drama.

Cousin Greg is Kendall's media manager now.  You go, buddy!  I'm sure you will nail it!

Curious to see how Tom will factor into everything: especially I suspect he isn't quite in Shiv's corner anymore.

I continue to be amazed over how Brian Cox can make the simple use of "Fuck off!" sound epic every single time he says it.

This should be fun!

I had similar thoughts about Roman's call to Logan. Maybe he's more savvy than it seems.  I mean, he did survive being taken hostage last season, and was upfront with his dad that he thought the "offer" was not a sound one.  He might have been trying to skew the vote in Gerri's direction. 

Agree about Tom. 

Cousin Greg isn't the media manager is he?  I thought that's why those two women were brought in.  They were taking over for him. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Penman61 said:

I really hope we move past the "Logan pits his children against each other for control of the family media empire, control he was never really gonna give up anyway" scenario because this is at least the third time now the show has done this. I hope this time something irreversible finally happens. I mean, I know the show is called Succession and all, but...

Also, whither Marcia? I just did a series re-watch, and I think she disappeared after Logan didn't tell her about appointing Rhea as CEO? But I don't recall Marcia's "I'm Leaving You" scene...

Was Marcia mentioned as being on Team Kendall?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

I think so, yes. Which is quite the development...

I just don't recall a scene last season where she actually left Logan, but that could be my memory/inattentiveness...

• Love 2
Just now, Penman61 said:

I think so, yes. Which is quite the development...

I just don't recall a scene last season where she actually left Logan, but that could be my memory/inattentiveness...

That's how I remember it too, that there was no definite scene, she was just gone.

• Love 1

I re-watched season 2.  Marcia confronted Rhea about whether she was tested for STDs, quite salty about it.

Then in the finale, she wasn't on the yacht and Logan says at one point he misses her.

I don't think Marcia was in the next to last episode either, which is when Rhea spent the night in London with Logan or she quit when the news story about cruises came out.

• Love 2

This is the first time I've ever genuinely enjoyed watching Logan do his thing.

I hate him as much as ever, of course. I hate all the characters. But watching Shiv, Roman, Tom, etc. tear each other down has always amused me greatly. Logan's antics, not so much.

But I thought he was pretty hilarious in this episode. The quick, casual way he said, "Roman is out." And his derisive reactions to Tom - "You...like...Gerri? And you like Roman?" - as though they were fascinating bits of sincere, unbiased advice, cracked me the hell up.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Penman61 said:

There's a scene last season where Marcia redoes the yacht in gaudy gold just to upset Logan and the kids mention it's her parting shot or something.  

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

There's a scene last season where Marcia redoes the yacht in gaudy gold just to upset Logan and the kids mention it's her parting shot or something.  

Yes! I remember that now. Thanks. :)

• Love 2

"The Juice is loose!" Kendall was manic. Do we think he could be bipolar or just coked up? Or coked up to self-medicate for an undiagnosed mental health disorder? He's in for another big fall. He's assembling a good team, but he didn't listen to a word those two women were trying to say, just kept interrupting them and focusing on stuff like cool tweets.

"The internet is big, obviously, I couldn't read it all, but I'm working though, I guess. That's the big picture over here in Media Monitoring." Greg cracked me up the whole episode, from reporting that The/A Pope was following Kendall to cancelling his mom's credit card because she was panic buying Nutri-Bullets.

"Roman's out." I do think Roman was trying to throw CEO to Gerri with that phone call. I want more of their weird relationship.

Will Shiv join Kendall's side? I'm much more interested in Shiv vs. Logan than last season's dynamic.

• Like 2
  • Love 9

Yeah Kendall had to psych himself up, sitting in the tub in that luxurious hotel bathroom, breathing heavily.

Still a bit shellshocked from the Chappaquiiddick episode, then being crushed most of last season, especially visiting the parents of the guy who died and then the resignation with which he accepted Logan's decision to sacrifice him.

So the press conference he gave was mostly show.

Then he snapped out of his funk and came out of the bathroom yelling "Action Stations!"  (like battle stations! in some war movie or show?).

Logan also said "Action Stations!" to snap his team to action.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, chick binewski said:

No Marcia in the opening credits but Sally Ann who doesnt actually play the harp got another mention tonight!

Hah, yes, that was the second Sally-Ann mention. This was by Karl to Frank- referring to one difficult period in Logan’s life as “the dark cloud after Sally-Ann.” The first mention of her was by Roman to Shiv in Season 2 when they were on the private jet speculating about Logan diddling Rhea. Roman referred to “Sally-Ann and the summer of the horses.” I like to think Sally-Ann is actually the icy, Sharon Stone-type blonde lounging around in the opening credits, keeping a steely, watchful eye on the kiddies. I think she might have been Lady Caroline before Harriet Walter had been cast but Ms. Walter isn’t exactly an icy Sharon Stone-type blonde. I like to think Sally-Ann will emerge in Season 4 played by Hannah Waddingham. A man can dream, can’t he?

Edited by TimWil
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/17/2021 at 11:38 PM, sistermagpie said:

Agree - Naomi is selfish and manipulative. She loves the "broken" version of Kendall...exactly what she accused Logan of doing. 

21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Right now, Kendall is certainly riding pretty high, but, well, you can already kind of tell that he might be riding a bit too high.  He is clearly already getting sloppy and overconfident, and I wonder if he is going to be fully prepared when Logan comes at him in "full beast" mode. 

Kendall is fueled by adrenaline, ego and (if not right now then soon) cocaine. He is a ticking time bomb. He brings in experts - the communications team, the lawyers - and talks over them. He can't sit still. I've never been impressed by Kendall's business savvy or intelligence. He talks fast, curses and threatens. He will self-destruct...again...it's just a matter of when.

14 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Agree. Something irreversible but yet logical has to happen. 

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 9

Logan and Marcia split at the end of "Dundee" in what Vox called "the subtlest end of a marriage ever seen" or something like that.  

Marcia watched Logan announce that Rhea would be the new CEO, then walk over and embrace her (Rhea.)  When Logan got back to his seat, Marcia said she was leaving and Logan is shocked.  "Before the plaque?"  Marcia calls the plaque his shiny little gravestone and says she is Boooooored!  Then she walks out.

In the next episode, Roman asks where Marcia is and wonders if Logan wants to talk to someone.  Marcia has vacated the premises.

Too bad.  I couldn't take my eyes off Marcia any time she was onscreen.

The only mention of Conner's mother was that she went to "the booby hatch."

• Useful 3
  • Love 12

In the first season, Logan changed the will or the family trust to give Marcia more share of the company or some powers.

Children were kind of salty about that as well as her son getting some position in the company.

We never saw him again.

But you'd assume she still has some interests in the company.  Logan might have made her sign a prenup but it seems like they've been together a long time, so she might have a claim on significant assets.

There was no divorce settlement of any kind but she's credited in at least two episodes this season on IMDB.  Then again she was credited in the season 2 season finale and she wasn't on that at all.

So they will at least talk about her but she should make an appearance, unless the actress is filming another season of Ramy or something.

• Love 2

I binged Season 2 last week, then watched Season 1 on Saturday and Season 2 (AGAIN) on Sunday.  There was no way in hell the Season 3 opener could meet my ridiculously high expectations.  But it did!  SO good! 

Logan took it in the throat more than once, and ultimately chose to hole up in a non-extradition country.  Ha!   Mean Girl Shiv got chopped off at the ankles and, snicker, it took her forever to notice.  Gerri demonstrated why she's the big brain of the operation and worth more than whatever they pay her.

The only false note I see is Greg aligning with Kendall.  Greg has the spine of an amoeba.  He would feel safest way in the back of the biggest pack, which is currently surrounding Logan.

But I think it was indicated that Greg provided Ken with the documents.  They show Greg standing on the side, holding a manila envelope, in the Season 2 finale when Ken says the documents will be distributed to the press.

And also in Season 2, Greg told Ken that he had some of the incriminating cruise scandal documents.  Ken was stoned out of his brain so I thought that might be why they breezed past that revelation with barely a blip, but Ken definitely knew.  Maybe he promised Greg(ory) a seat on the new board or something.  : )

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, aghst said:

In the first season, Logan changed the will or the family trust to give Marcia more share of the company or some powers.

Children were kind of salty about that as well as her son getting some position in the company

I feel like Marcia was originally meant to be a bigger presence but at time went on and the characters were all developed her role was diminished.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, aghst said:

Children were kind of salty about that as well as her son getting some position in the company.

We never saw him again.

Marcia's son basically snitched on Kendall and was in the room when Logan confronted Kendall about finding the keycard after the accident. So I think we'll be hearing from Amir again...

Edited by chick binewski
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, candall said:

The only false note I see is Greg aligning with Kendall.  Greg has the spine of an amoeba.  He would feel safest way in the back of the biggest pack, which is currently surrounding Logan.

But Kendall was the guy in front of him, so I think he'd stick with him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I feel like that's a preliminary list of hopefuls. Greg's mom was also mentioned but Greg told us later she has no confidence in Team Kendall. (And while her method of dealing with that is irrational, I can't blame her for lack of confidence in a manic drug addict trying to take Logan's throne while keeping his own hands clean.) And I believe they mentioned Aaronson(?, one of the upcoming guest stars) who Team Logan is courting as well. Everything is still in flux right now, likely including even Greg the Egg.

2 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

His brings in experts - the communications team, the lawyers - and talks over them.

And then he congratulates himself for being surrounding by women after disrespecting all of them except Naomi. I also like how he told both Frank and Rava he was doing it for them too, and he probably even believes that too. He's gone from standing up to a dad trying to sacrifice him to a righteous crusader fighting a "revolution" against evil.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

And then he congratulates himself for being surrounding by women after disrespecting all of them except Naomi. I also like how he told both Frank and Rava he was doing it for them too, and he probably even believes that too. He's gone from standing up to a dad trying to sacrifice him to a righteous crusader fighting a "revolution" against evil.

Notice though that he kept cutting off the PR women, not let them pitch or express their ideas?

He hired names, but not clear he's got a good idea of what he wants from them.

For one thing, he should let them know about the dead guy in the UK so that they would either tell him how they would try to do damage control on that if and when Logan plays that card.

As for Kendall and Greg, the Slate Money podcast, which is discussing every episode, pointed out that in S01, when they were in the UK for Shiv's wedding, Kendall was looking for coke and Greg just told him off the cuff that he had incriminating papers.

So either Kendall remembered or Greg reminded him.  The fact that Greg told him about the papers means he's chosen his team.

Maybe Kendall has been more friendly to him or so Greg though, while Tom was hazing him like a frat pledge and Shiv was indifferent and Roman was snarky to him.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I'm loving the Ken vs. Logan fight but I'm also terrified that Logan is going to use what he knows about Ken and the car accident somehow. If I have to see Ken beaten again...

22 hours ago, aghst said:

Kendall is not only going to whistleblow but vie for the throne with the shareholders?

Wouldn't the credibility of his allegations against Logan be undermined by the fact that he's also going for Logan's job?

This whole thing seems like a mutual assured destruction kind of scenario. If Logan leaks about the car accident he also basically reveals that he knew about it and helped cover it up (in a cover up is worse than the crime kind of way) If Ken pushes too hard on the cruise ship scandal he has to explain why he, a senior executive at the company in line to take over, had no idea about what was going on. Is he not competent or is he lying.

17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The whole hate watch marketing for his girl friends play thing was pretty funny. Although I was kind of surprised she was ok with it.

6 hours ago, aghst said:

Then he snapped out of his funk and came out of the bathroom yelling "Action Stations!"  (like battle stations! in some war movie or show?).

Logan also said "Action Stations!" to snap his team to action.

Thinking about it now the whole Action Stations thing makes me think of something the Bluth family from Arrested Development would say. Something that is kind of wrong and kind of stupid because they are rich out of touch assholes who don't know what people would actually say.

22 hours ago, aghst said:

Greg has cast his lot with Kendall or has he?  He has the papers but looks like he's going to have to answer to Logan at some point.  He could have had $250 million from his grandfather if he quit!

Greg pretty much has to go in with Kendall doesn't he. I can't remember what he said at the Senate hearing but either he lied under oath or admitted to destroying evidence. Either way he could be in trouble unless he finds a way to help take down the actual bad people.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The whole hate watch marketing for his girl friends play thing was pretty funny. Although I was kind of surprised she was ok with it.

I mean, he's her meal ticket.  I figure she'll go along with what he wants or says until either she can't take it anymore, or she no longer needs him. 

2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I feel like Marcia was originally meant to be a bigger presence but at time went on and the characters were all developed her role was diminished.

I agree.  She was a bigger player in the first season, then really went into the background as season 2 went on.

3 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Kendall is fueled by adrenaline, ego and (if not right now then soon) cocaine. He is a ticking time bomb. His brings in experts - the communications team, the lawyers - and talks over them. He can't sit still. I've never been impressed by Kendall's business savvy or intelligence. He talks fast, curses and threatens. He will self-destruct...again...it's just a matter of when.

I agree.  His behavior feels manic to me.  He's on a high of thinking he has taken down his dad, and has not really come back to reality yet.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, aghst said:

Maybe Kendall has been more friendly to him or so Greg though, while Tom was hazing him like a frat pledge and Shiv was indifferent and Roman was snarky to him.

Though I recall Roman refusing to give him coke at one point, since Roman feels responsible for getting Ken hooked. I don't think he did it out of warm feelings for Greg, but in that moment he proved he was probably a better influence. Roman is weird and has his own many issues, but he's less self-destructive and destructive than Kendall. At least in personal relationships. That rocket might disagree...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, aghst said:

Didn't Kendall also force Greg to do coke with him when Logan had him watching Ken in s1 at Tom's bachelor party? Then in s2 Kendall chose to party in Greg's apartment instead of his own. Basically, Greg has a high tolerance for humiliation and is willing to grab whoever's coattails are available at the moment. If he was choosing sides based on sentiment he'd have no reason to be involved with any of them. (I think Kendall must have remembered what Greg told him about the papers earlier and called him for the press conference, not the other way around.) I wonder if Tom's worked out or is going to figure out that Greg didn't burn all of his insurance copies.

I wish we could all hate-watch Willa's play. She seems weirdly devoted to kooky Connor by now, reminding Logan he exists while Connor doesn't even notice the brush-off. (Justine Lupe's promotion to the opening credits likely indicate Willa's in it for the long haul, assuming they're planning better than with the s1 credits. The closed captions even gave Willa a last name which I don't remember her having before.) 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Evie said:

Will Shiv join Kendall's side? I'm much more interested in Shiv vs. Logan than last season's dynamic.

There was a post-credits scene in the original 9:00 p.m. EST airing in which Shiv showed up at Kendall's location and he said something to the effect of "look who's here."  When I watched a replay of the show yesterday the scene wasn't shown.  

Did anyone else see that?  

• Love 3
On 10/18/2021 at 12:28 AM, chick binewski said:

Despite how entrenched in weirdness it may be I am forever rooting for Roman & Gerri.

I frequently rewind and rewatch scenes where they have dialogue together because of the way they play off of each other, with Roman basically daring Gerri to get with him and Gerri giving him a glare that isn't a yes, but it certainly isn't a hard no.  I can't decide which couple is my favorite - Gerri and Roman or Tom and Greg.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:31 PM, aghst said:

Plus, in season 2, he was beaten down and was resigned to the fact that it was never going to be him.  Especially with what Logan held over him, the NRPI faux Chappaquiddick incident.

The limo scenes with the crazed Kendall and Greg were superb, with Greg comparing the paps coming at the limo to the OJ case and saying, "well - except for the killing part" and Ken replies, "who says I never killed anyone?"  Kendall's eyes were blazing and Greg looked like he was going to pass out from fanboy glee.  All of these actors deserve all the awards.

On 10/18/2021 at 3:22 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Greg listening to Kendall rattle off a complicated word salad about what he wanted Greg to work on and Greg being all deer-in-the-headlights and word salading right back to Kendall made me laugh, and the fact that they seemed to be on the same bizarre page made it even better.

I usually watch each episode at least twice - once for dialogue, and once for exchanged looks and body language.  It's such a nuanced show and I love it.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Thinking about it now the whole Action Stations thing makes me think of something the Bluth family from Arrested Development would say. Something that is kind of wrong and kind of stupid because they are rich out of touch assholes who don't know what people would actually say.

I can certainly imagine that the Roy's have no idea what a chicken looks or sounds like. 

I am so glad this show is back, especially now that Kendall is going to war with his dad. They have really hit the ground running this season. He seemed like he was more manic now then he was when he was actually high, especially in the van after the press conference. "Its like OJ, but without actually killing anybody." "Who says I never killed anyone." He's high on adrenaline it will certainly be interesting to see how he reacts when he finally comes down and starts really focusing on what he is doing. I think he's going to hit bottom soon when he really realizes what he's done, I really do wonder if Kendall is bipolar but is undiagnosed, and that is one of the reasons he does drugs, its an attempt to self medicate. I certainly cant imagine Logan ever encouraging his kids to look into getting psychiatric help for any mental issues.

Even on a show full of awful people, Naomi still always manages to be one of the least likable people on the show. 

I am pretty confident that Roman called Logan because he knew that he would lose his shot and it was probably go to Gerri, he's a lot savvier them most people give him credit for. Gerri is the best choice, I am glad that she got it. She has the experience and Logan giving the position to one of his kids would look messy.

Such a tangled web of secrets and relationships with a whole lot of mutually assured destruction. If someone pulls a thread on the company or on the Roy family, everything starts to unravel. 

It makes me sad that Tom and Greg are on different sides, I need those crazy kids back together right away. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Even on a show full of awful people, Naomi still always manages to be one of the least likable people on the show. 

I liked her in prior episodes. But her going right into Rava's kitchen like she was going to take over, and sense of entitlement to the wine, bothered me greatly. I assume that the wine was good enough for Naomi but not so great that she would think someone was saving it for something special.

Both Greg and Tom showed their incompetence. If not for Kendall not listening to anyone (except the attorney), he did not notice what was clear to the other people around Greg. Then Shiv acting over confident.

Loved, LOVED Conor and GF getting left behind. No airplane for you!

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I can certainly imagine that the Roy's have no idea what a chicken looks or sounds like. 

And now I want to see a scene where Kendall asks Greg to go out and buy him some candy beans.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Such a tangled web of secrets and relationships with a whole lot of mutually assured destruction. If someone pulls a thread on the company or on the Roy family, everything starts to unravel. 

I am not sure I care who comes out on top at the end, but I am really curious about what the company looks like in the end. Because I am not sure how this scandal settles out without the company tanking hard. And considering how massive Waystar/Royco must be (what with the tv/movie studio, the news network, the record company, the video game company, the parks, the cruise line and the newspaper) what would it look like if a company that was the size of Disney had serious financial trouble.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I usually watch each episode at least twice - once for dialogue, and once for exchanged looks and body language.  It's such a nuanced show and I love it

Same here!  It's been a while since there was a show that I had to watch every episode at least twice.  

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

And considering how massive Waystar/Royco must be (what with the tv/movie studio, the news network, the record company, the video game company, the parks, the cruise line and the newspaper) what would it look like if a company that was the size of Disney had serious financial trouble.

They could do what's called a Texas Two-Step (see Johnson & Johnson) where a company spins off the division with all the liability and then files bankruptcy for that company. That saves the larger company.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

He seemed like he was more manic now then he was when he was actually high, especially in the van after the press conference. "Its like OJ, but without actually killing anybody." "Who says I never killed anyone." He's high on adrenaline it will certainly be interesting to see how he reacts when he finally comes down and starts really focusing on what he is doing. I think he's going to hit bottom soon when he really realizes what he's done

If he didn't hit rock bottom after the Chappaquiddick incident, he's not going to hit rock bottom.  He's never coming down from any kind of high, whether it be cocaine, adrenaline or ego.  In addition to having absolutely no self-awareness, Kendall is deeply amoral.  That's why he's so fascinating to watch.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am glad that she got it. She has the experience and Logan giving the position to one of his kids would look messy.

I never thought she wouldn’t get it. I thought Logan was just messing with Shiv/Roman by entertaining they had a shot. Choosing one of them would be insane. Not only are they not capable but the optics wouldn’t be good and they’d be potentially liable if the company goes down. Geri while like family still isn’t family. She’s capable but he can also throw her under the bus if needs be. I think he’s too savvy to have genuinely considered Shiv or Roman.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

If he didn't hit rock bottom after the Chappaquiddick incident, he's not going to hit rock bottom.  He's never coming down from any kind of high, whether it be cocaine, adrenaline or ego.  In addition to having absolutely no self-awareness, Kendall is deeply amoral.  That's why he's so fascinating to watch.

But he does have a conscience whereas Logan doesn't.

That's why Logan uses terms like NRPI and derided Kendall for not being a killer.

Logan will do anything to hold onto power.  He was going to try to put on a soft face by hiring Lisa Arthur, who is apparently like Gloria Allred who's represented sexual harassment victims, so it would given him credibility to be defended by a lawyer/advocate known to champion victims of sexual harassment or assault when he is accused of covering up repeated sexual harassment and assault.

When he didn't get LA, he said they would hire Layton and go beast on his opponents.

• Love 3