Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Nothing Comes Over Easy

• Start Topic

In a hectic final day, the crew tries to pull off a picnic in an old Croatian fortress, while Mathew struggles to pull himself out of a spiral. Sandy, Malia and the deck crew face a dangerous anchor drag as an increasingly exhausted Katie tries to push through the final charter with only two stews. Meanwhile, the crew prepares to spend a week in Split together after the season.

Bravo Airdate: 10/18/2021

This season the episodes will be airing a week earlier on Peacock Premium.  You can comment on the episode once it is live there.  Anyone waiting for the Bravo airing, be aware there will be early comments on the episode - so don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

So once again Manbaby Mat does not fail to disappoint. Luca, the backup chef, was invited on the ship for a drink by Captain Sandy to say thanks. He was asked, and explained, how his backup quarantine went. He mentioned that it was rough being in a single room for 4 weeks, but he passed the time by reviewing recipes. Couldn’t have been more gracious about it. Mat of course could not muster the social grace to be welcoming and appreciative. He initially avoided him, refused to make eye contact,  and only later,  made a phony and cursory appearance to “meet” him. Kudos to Katie for introducing him as “the culprit”. I really think Luca should have been invited to dinner and Mat should have sincerely welcomed and thanked him with even a fraction of the apologetic nature that he displayed when  he was given a second chance earlier in the season. I would have fired him as soon as Luca was cleared to come on the boat. Mat has proven (once again) that he is unfit for this position and social interactions in general. Previously, I found him laughable, but in this episode he was deplorable due to his lack of graciousness to Chef Luca. I’m just sorry we never got to see Luca cook. If I ever get to Croatia, I will buy him dinner and a drink.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Love 19

All in all I think this was a good season. Malia redeemed herself. The deck crew relly seemed to like and respect her. Once toxic Lexie was gone things improved. But going down to 2 stews was not smart. It just goes to show Bravo that turning the boat into the love boat for crew hookups is not necessary to have a good season. 

• Love 20

So the egg panic cliffhanger was bullshit.  Maybe the guests didn’t love their eggs but it wasn’t some huge deal.

Was Mat really that much a spazz about what to serve on the last meals or playing it up for the cameras?

Honestly has their ever been really poor tips, like under $500 or even $1000 on all the BD shows?  I don’t recall so I tend to think it really doesn’t matter that much how the crew does or how good or bad the meals are.

The crew always ends up with a good amount of money for the season, which makes it appear like it was a worthwhile experience for all the crew members who make it to the end.  They also get words of praise and talk about how they see a future in the industry.  Then many of them are not yachties any more.

Oh that meet and greet with Luka was fake drama too.  The cast was polite and cordial except Mat was going to have this big moment.  Why would he?  The season was over and he was going to hang out with the rest of the cast in Split.

They also make it sound like they had some crazy time together in Split.  Probably at most, they had some big drinking nights.  Otherwise as lame as them dancing in shorts on that Lazy Susan.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, 65mickey said:

All in all I think this was a good season. Malia redeemed herself. The deck crew relly seemed to like and respect her. Once toxic Lexie was gone things improved. But going down to 2 stews was not smart. It just goes to show Bravo that turning the boat into the love boat for crew hookups is not necessary to have a good season. 

It was a refreshing season. There was such a different dynamic among the crew (minus Lexi, of course). I find it pretty adorable that every crew member wanted to go to Split together after the season.

I'm fine with romances in future seasons. However, what I never want to see again is verbal, physical and sexual abuse/assault being swept under the table like it was for most of this season and previous seasons. If the producers want to give us drama that we really want to see, then they should break the fourth wall in these situations and let us see people like Lexi being fired from the show immediately. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
7 hours ago, Jsage said:

It was a refreshing season. There was such a different dynamic among the crew (minus Lexi, of course). I find it pretty adorable that every crew member wanted to go to Split together after the season.

I'm fine with romances in future seasons. However, what I never want to see again is verbal, physical and sexual abuse/assault being swept under the table like it was for most of this season and previous seasons. If the producers want to give us drama that we really want to see, then they should break the fourth wall in these situations and let us see people like Lexi being fired from the show immediately. 

Exactly! Francesca was able to get shit stew Elizabeth fired but she had a reasonable captain Lee on her side who listens to his department heads.

• Love 4

Bringing Luka on for drinks in the messy galley with strangers was so weird. Like, hey, we definitely didn't work with you and we're about to go out for fun without you, but super glad you could stop by. Clearly production just needed footage of Luka entering the galley and Mat throwing a hissy fit about it so they could air it in previews and trick viewers. Fun system, enjoyed it so much.

The caginess about what happened in Split was silly. After a whole season of watching this group get wasted, the guys constantly injuring themselves and/or crying, and the girls going to bed without them, you expect me to believe they had a Chef Mat Orgy under the moonlight at Diocletian's mausoleum? LOL it is infinitely more likely that Delaney reappeared to tell them facts about Diocwetian and the Twiumviwate in the Late Woman Empiwe.

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
On 10/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, aqusdealer said:

So once again Manbaby Mat does not fail to disappoint. Luca, the backup chef, was invited on the ship for a drink by Captain Sandy to say thanks. He was asked, and explained, how his backup quarantine went. He mentioned that it was rough being in a single room for 4 weeks, but he passed the time by reviewing recipes. Couldn’t have been more gracious about it. Mat of course could not muster the social grace to be welcoming and appreciative. He initially avoided him, refused to make eye contact,  and only later,  made a phony and cursory appearance to “meet” him. Kudos to Katie for introducing him as “the culprit”. I really think Luca should have been invited to dinner and Mat should have sincerely welcomed and thanked him with even a fraction of the apologetic nature that he displayed when  he was given a second chance earlier in the season. I would have fired him as soon as Luca was cleared to come on the boat. Mat has proven (once again) that he is unfit for this position and social interactions in general. Previously, I found him laughable, but in this episode he was deplorable due to his lack of graciousness to Chef Luca. I’m just sorry we never got to see Luca cook. If I ever get to Croatia, I will buy him dinner and a drink.

It was appalling how predictably rudely Mat behaved when Chef Luca first came down to the crew area.  Given how many "second" chances he's received this season, you'd think he could have been cordial at the very least towards Luca.

It's not like Luca was part of some vast conspiracy to take Mat's job away from him.  Mat was capable all on his own, as was proven multiple times over the season, of losing his job on his own.  He's just extremely lucky that he didn't lose it.

So why the personal antagonism towards someone he's never met before?

Mat's off behavior demonstrates even further how he's not capable of "playing well with others" and has no business being in any work or social environment where there are other people around.

• Love 14

I think it was editing.  He could have exchanged some pleasantries with Luka and then went off to his cabin but they make it seem like he was all triggered.

For what?

Charters are OVER at that point.

FAKE drama.

Fake, fake, fake, fake, fake.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 9

Mat is an interesting personality.He strikes me as a person whose parents treated him like a special snowflake and praised him incessantly and never allowed any criticism of him.  He’s so sensitive and falls apart at the slightest disparaging comment and yet he is often cruel in his own right.  Alcohol doesn’t help him but he has serious self esteem issues.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 10/12/2021 at 11:39 AM, Jsage said:

I really enjoyed this season because of the crew dynamic (minus Lexi). It was nice to see. I liked all of the crew this season with the exception of Lexi which has been pretty rare for me on the various BD franchises. I may not have loved all their decisions and antics, but overall, I liked them. I really liked Katie as chief stew. She seems like a hard worker and I liked that she owned her mistake in her TH about going down to two stews. As you said, it was a refreshing season. I would take more seasons like this over other seasons when the crew dynamic is so toxic.

• Love 11

I disagree that Malia redeemed herself.  Certainly she was portrayed in a much more positive light than last season, and that's not by accident, I'm sure. But I have little doubt given the same circumstances her ugly side would rear its head once more. She had the good fortune of having three very reasonable deck hands working for her and had no reason to clash with Katie over some boyfriend or other perceived entitlement.

Captain Sandy came across much better this season too, but not for one minute do I believe she's really changed or learned anything. I don't think Bravo anticipated the backlash against Sandy and Malia after last season, and since they had already begun filming this one, the best they could do is manage their footage. 

For me, the deck crew is what made the biggest difference. The show somehow managed to avoid the toxic masculinity that usually defines that staff and hired three very reasonable and unobjectionable people. I was taken aback by them at first because they were so against type, but I really warmed up to them by the end. They really made the season.

I don't really care whether I ever see Katie again. She acknowledged that she preferred everyone take on extra work rather than for her to manage one extra stew. She doesn't belong anywhere near the Chief Stew position. And I definitely do not want to see Sandy, Malia, or Mat ever again. (Or Lexi, but that goes without saying.)

• Love 9

What veteran yacht workers do on BD and what they do in their real jobs are two different things.

It seems like Katie and Malia plan to go back to real charter jobs, without the artificial stresses that BD imposes on them.

Katie is used to working in larger crews.  I wonder if she even has the power to hire and fire anyone.  She may be more in a daily supervisory role but doesn't have too much say in actually hiring the staff she supervises.

Also you wonder if some of the people who come on the show decide to do TV hoping it lands them other opportunities outside of yachting.

Obviously that has been the case with Kate, she got out of the drudgery and grunt work and now she gets to snark on TV and maybe Bravo has made it worth her while.

But there aren't too many such positions, so anyone else coming onto BD may have to seek other reality TV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Also you wonder if some of the people who come on the show decide to do TV hoping it lands them other opportunities outside of yachting.

In Mat's case, being on the show will be as useful to his future career as a screen door on a submarine.

• LOL 11

Katie is used to working in larger crews.  I wonder if she even has the power to hire and fire anyone.  She may be more in a daily supervisory role but doesn't have too much say in actually hiring the staff she supervises.

Of course there is a lot of producer-prompted drama on this show, but I think that's largely focused on bringing in guests who are challenging and are going to cause trouble with ridiculous requests and demands. All these stupid theme parties, for example - I doubt very much the guests come up with those ideas.

But I do think it was entirely Katie's choice whether or not to bring Delaney back. There are just too many variables in that for producers to manipulate, including all of Katie's talking heads where you actually hear a producer ask her if she made a mistake not bringing her back. I just don't think Katie is that good of an actress. 

The after-charter parties and dinners are all producer-mandated as well, I'm sure. But by and large the crew really does have to do the work they are shown doing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Impressions:

Mat – “I get insecure whenever I get criticism – even the smallest thing.”  Mat, your inability to handle anything but rose-scented compliments is legendary at this point.  If someone likes food more spicy – spice it up.  If they like it in larger portions – add more.  If it’s undercooked to taste – cook it more.  It’s not rocket science, dude.  The fact that 90+% of the time people like what you cook should be a baseline compliment that anyone would be glad for.  Oh, and one more thing – learn how to cook eggs.  It’s basic.  And invest in better non-stick pans – or butter.

Katie just can’t seem to grasp the concept of “less help means more work.”  Maybe should have kept Delaney, eh?

Katie – “What is wrong with me?”  How about – you don’t know how to do your job?

Mat – “I’m gonna lose it.”  Mate, you never had it.

So, Captain Queeg doesn’t know how to set an anchor? 

Funny watching Captain Queeg “supervising” at the dinner table.  To Katie – “I’ll help you any way I can.”  Except making sure you have the staff needed to do your job.

Mat is often annoying, but even more so as he tries to pressure Katie into approving his dinner choices.  You know that Mat is setting her up for blame if he tanks it, but won’t share any praise if he doesn’t.  I am soooo tired of this fellow.  If this show has any value at all, it’s to tell other yacht owners who never to hire.  Mat’s constant need for praise combined with his “whipped puppy” look is something I won’t miss.

Soooo glad Lloyd found a follow-on job to do a crossing.  He’s a good person and it’s nice to see he’s taken care of.

Wait – deck crew complaining they’ve been “awake 20 hours”?  Not unusual in the service.  Of course, you don’t want to make a habit of it.  How many hours have you been passed out with your drinking?  But wait – aren’t there strict laws about time on duty, break time, etc.?  Something is not right, methinks.

Courtney taunting Mat – “Are you ready for an Eggselent breakfast?”  Priceless.  Laughed my posterior off.

Whoever did the editing on the last docking – nice try.  Those lines that were shown to be cast never made it to the dock, but bravo to help tell the story.

At the end of the last charter, Captain Queeg tries to make Malia feel better.  Don’t worry, Queeg – we know who you are.

So….. there was a backup chef?  Luca?  It’s almost as if the show anticipated there would be a problem.  Hmmm..  Why would that be?  Because they hired a psychotic in the first place?  Yeah.

And this whole reveal is so ironic.

Near the end of the episode, Katie refers to Mat – “He only quit, like, twice.”  I can only think that the show expected Mat to walk off and stay off.  They had to have a backup.  It only makes sense.  And just like that – he was gone.  Good that his presence was acknowledged, anywise.

But Mat – as expected – retreats into a self-defence land where he alone is the savior of the universe.  Um….. No.

Despite her best effort, Captain Queeg did not make her case as a significant player.

And of course there’s the SPLIT commercial.

• Love 3

I just want to cut Matt some slack here because I feel like he has a mental health issue and he doesn’t mean to behave as badly as he does at times.  He should try to get some better coping skills, maybe he has.  At least he owns his behaviour and apologizes.  Sandy has no concept, understanding or tolerance for his anxiety issue just like she didn’t with Hannah.  She should seriously get over herself.  And if someone comes and complains about a crews bad behaviour like it happened with Lexie she should listen and if she doesn’t know and ask appropriate questions etc not pass the buck and in the end claim she didn’t see that.  She made that claim twice, she is egotistical and so juvenile too many times,  I have zero respect for her.  I felt like this was the Malia redemption season, I am just not ready to forget the past yet.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, endure said:

I just want to cut Matt some slack here because I feel like he has a mental health issue and he doesn’t mean to behave as badly as he does at times.  He should try to get some better coping skills, maybe he has.  At least he owns his behaviour and apologizes.

This is exactly why I didn't want to jump on the Mat hate train.  I've always seen his behavior as a result of an anxiety or mental health issue.  I've felt a little bad for him but we can't just excuse ALL his bad behaviors because of his mental health.  The goal, I would think, is to learn from them and not constantly repeat the same mistakes over and over again.  You can't hide behind these issues.

And I couldn't help to notice he seems to be a bit selfish at times.  Katie clearly upset and nervous of the last week's dinner service when she spilt a drink--when she told Mat all he could ask was how the captain was enjoying the meal!  Well WTH??  Your friend clearly needs comforting and a little uplifting like she's given you 100 times over and you don't even seem to notice...

• Love 3
5 hours ago, endure said:

I just want to cut Matt some slack here because I feel like he has a mental health issue

I agree. Matt used the word "spiraling" multiple times, and it made me wonder if he has a diagnosis such as bipolar. Speaking from extensive personal experience, people with severe, chronic mental health diagnoses are often very difficult to endure. That's just the way it is. Bravo is thrilled when it hires a mentally ill, unstable, volatile cast member who is guaranteed to generate drama.

That said, I loved this season (minus Lexie). I returned to this series in the hopes there would be improvements, and there were. I hope we see this deck crew again. But someone take the alcohol away from Mzi.

Would like a new captain. Malia is on probation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

This is exactly why I didn't want to jump on the Mat hate train.  I've always seen his behavior as a result of an anxiety or mental health issue.  I've felt a little bad for him but we can't just excuse ALL his bad behaviors because of his mental health.  The goal, I would think, is to learn from them and not constantly repeat the same mistakes over and over again.  You can't hide behind these issues.

And I couldn't help to notice he seems to be a bit selfish at times.  Katie clearly upset and nervous of the last week's dinner service when she spilt a drink--when she told Mat all he could ask was how the captain was enjoying the meal!  Well WTH??  Your friend clearly needs comforting and a little uplifting like she's given you 100 times over and you don't even seem to notice...

Look at it this way, if you have a bad cold and are sick of coughing, you can’t magically tell yourself that’s enough and stop doing that.  If it were that easy there would be no mental health issues.  You have the same type of expectation as Sandy.

Practically every chef that has been on this show has been difficult to work with.  

Edited by endure
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I agree. Matt used the word "spiraling" multiple times, and it made me wonder if he has a diagnosis such as bipolar. Speaking from extensive personal experience, people with severe, chronic mental health diagnoses are often very difficult to endure. That's just the way it is. Bravo is thrilled when it hires a mentally ill, unstable, volatile cast member who is guaranteed to generate drama.

That said, I loved this season (minus Lexie). I returned to this series in the hopes there would be improvements, and there were. I hope we see this deck crew again. But someone take the alcohol away from Mzi.

Would like a new captain. Malia is on probation.

I believe Matt said he has anxiety not bipolar.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

After watching the after-show, I'm not inclined to give Mat any slack. He was a real asshole there too. He got really defensive about Sandy saying she wouldn't work with him again, and called her the worst captain he'd ever worked with.

Also, I think Courtney was drunk during the after show.

• Love 3

2 hours ago, endure said:

Look at it this way, if you have a bad cold and are sick of coughing, you can’t magically tell yourself that’s enough and stop doing that.  If it were that easy there would be no mental health issues.  You have the same type of expectation as Sandy.

Practically every chef that has been on this show has been difficult to work with.  

Yeah Sandy wants people to just stop having anxiety.  Like, ok thanks didn't think of that!

Maybe the production company should only hire people that are ok in stressful situations and not thrown off by the cameras... but then they won't get the "drama."

Every chef I know is difficult.  My uncle is a somewhat well-known chef in Chicago and he is known for being difficult.  He will throw up his hands and stomp out of a kitchen if things don't go his way.  He also has anxiety.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

After watching the after-show, I'm not inclined to give Mat any slack. He was a real asshole there too. He got really defensive about Sandy saying she wouldn't work with him again, and called her the worst captain he'd ever worked with.

She IS the worst captain.

Courtney was wasted.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Courtney was very drunk, that was obvious, much like she was every time she drank on the show.

i guess Sandy may have pushed Mat’s last button with him, but she generally is not well liked least not here.

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-functioning-anxiety-want-you-to-know#1.-Im-not-just-a-worrywart.

Edited by endure
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

She IS the worst captain.

Well, true enough.  I have no objection to anyone pointing out that Sandy is a terrible captain. But Mat is just super defensive and lashes out if someone criticizes him. It's kind of like all the stuff between him and Lexi. Just because she's worse doesn't mean he doesn't look bad too. It was clear from the Twitter questions Andy read that there was a lot of negative feedback from viewers about Mat, and he was really trying to push back. The only reason he said Sandy was the worst captain he'd ever worked for was because Andy asked everyone if they would work with Mat again, and everyone raised their hands except Sandy. 

• Love 2

Sandy weeping with pride and joy over Malia's natural leadership skills; blech!  The captains all have their pets, don't they (Eddie is Captain Lee's)?   And their character somehow invariably leaves something to be desired...

• Love 1