Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Paniolo

• Start Topic

On 10/10/2021 at 4:54 PM, thewhiteowl said:

A beloved Hawaiian cowboy is shot. 

The only reason that I can think of for the Navy's agents to handle that case is if there are cowboys working at Pearl Harbor.

• LOL 2

Okay lets try this again a beloved Marine is shot while trying to protect his son.

I liked that Kai didn't just blow off killing in the line of duty like is normally done except for the very special episode. On the other hand pure NCIS move we  Det. Dalia (Sarah Conner) Reed of HPD being all in with our quirky stealth baller Ernie. But I like her I wouldn't mind her reoccurring like Captain Milius.

Just like Hawaii 5-0 it seems as if most of the island doesn't have cell service but the Hawaii National Guard keeps aircraft in the air at all times? Are they expecting the Japanese fleet to return?  LAPD keeps two up but that is not the military. It was a bit too easy to close the case a crew was going to hunt down and kill a Marine but wouldn't take an easy kill of a Federal Agent, tell me how that was suppose to work again.

Kai's father has some sort of chronic condition and seems that will be a background story for the series. 

I am liking this show of what has premiered on the big 5 broadcast networks it is the only one that I am looking forward to and thinking about staying up for even with work calling for me early in the mourning.

• Love 1

The drug crew didn't seem too bright. No one wondered how the Fed lady got to the middle of nowhere by herself. And of course Tennant can ride a horse. Isn't it a prerequisite for being a team lead? Other than that, the case was pretty good. Wonder if bearded dude's wife ever gets mad at all these team dinners he goes to? Bad enough they work at all hours but he spends his downtime with them too.

That was a fun episode. Five-0 briefly touched paniolo culture too but I liked this one better. No big surprise that Tennant knew how to ride - it was foreshadowed when she calmed the horse in the stables. 

What's the story behind the help-sign the lady made to Lucy? I've never seen that before. I had a close look at the fight scene and there were no stunt people involved (on camera), impressive. And I liked how the outburst of violence was not brushed off later but Lucy and Kai talked about it. They had some nice moments that I enjoyed. 

I'm not really sold on Ernie yet but 'Sarah Conner' was a good addition. I hope we see her again.

• Love 1

I haven’t watched any other NCIS, but am enjoying this one.  I didn’t like the trope of the woman desperately throwing herself at Ernie while he barely tolerates her.  I want to see her again, but not like that.

Were we supposed to remember the server at the dad’s diner?  I wanted her to shut up.

52 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I haven’t watched any other NCIS, but am enjoying this one.  I didn’t like the trope of the woman desperately throwing herself at Ernie while he barely tolerates her.  I want to see her again, but not like that.

Were we supposed to remember the server at the dad’s diner?  I wanted her to shut up.

Was she the same one who hit Agent  Kai about running away to the Marine Corps in the pilot? At this point we are still in the throw in everything to build backstories phase. Especially sense none of the character transferred from D.C, LA or NOLA. They didn't even have a cameo from Director Vance with orders from D.C.

SAC Tennent as the leader and Kai as the native Hawaiian are getting the most. But if it works we would get more of the relationship with the DIA representative and whatever they introduce for Agent Boone in the coming episodes. 

15 minutes ago, Raja said:

Was she the same one who hit Agent  Kai about running away to the Marine Corps in the pilot?

Yes, that's Hina. At first I thought she was Kai's sister but apparently that's not the case. I think she's Ohana but that covers a lot of ground.

I thought this was another enjoyable episode.  I liked the plot of the cowboy who got into trouble because he was just trying to protect his son.  I liked the use of all the characters here, and I enjoyed seeing Kai growing to regard his co-workers as his friends.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, Grizzly said:

The drug crew didn't seem too bright. No one wondered how the Fed lady got to the middle of nowhere by herself. And of course Tennant can ride a horse. Isn't it a prerequisite for being a team lead? Other than that, the case was pretty good. Wonder if bearded dude's wife ever gets mad at all these team dinners he goes to? Bad enough they work at all hours but he spends his downtime with them too.

We have seen Kai's dad a lot and we have seen Jane and her children.  I would like at least one episode where we get to see Boone's wife and family.  We see Kai at his dad's home or diner all the time, so I would hope that Boone in his downtime is also going home.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:32 AM, Crs97 said:

I think she's his cousin.  It seems like she has been blaming Kai for abandoning his sick father.  In the first episode, when he returned, I thought she clocked him. 

I didn't like Detective Reed throwing herself at Ernie either.  I get that it was played for laughs... look at Ernie, he looks like a schlubby geek who spends all the time in the basement with his computer, but here is this hot woman who is desperately throwing herself at him, and he repeatedly rejects her.  So of course Lucy is in awe of him as this stealth player and it is supposed to change everyone on the show's perspective of him?  I thought it was a bit of a disservice to the characters and the actors.  I'm sure the actor knows he doesn't look like Brad Pitt and yet the writers are making him out to be this irresistible catch.

When Ernie kept dreading a re-encounter with Detective Reed because of their broken relationship... am I the only one that expected Detective Reed to be a man?

On 10/14/2021 at 7:20 AM, blackwing said:

I'm sure the actor knows he doesn't look like Brad Pitt and yet the writers are making him out to be this irresistible catch.

Weirdly, I find him very sexy. I cannot explain this. It might be the eyes. 

This is a minor point in the show but when did TV decide that young kids get to say what everyone in their house eats now?  So a nine year old comes home one day, declares vegetarianism, declares that no one in the house may bring meat into the home and eat it, and the rest of the family just has to do this?  Jane and her son were so not on board but they 'obeyed' the nine year old and didn't want to incur her wrath on the subject.  That would never fly at my house.  Eat what the 'cook' makes for the family (with some deference for preferences) or learn how to cook for yourself.  This plotline just pisses me off more than it probably should. 🙂

On 10/14/2021 at 9:20 AM, blackwing said:

I didn't like Detective Reed throwing herself at Ernie either.  I get that it was played for laughs... look at Ernie, he looks like a schlubby geek who spends all the time in the basement with his computer, but here is this hot woman who is desperately throwing herself at him, and he repeatedly rejects her.  So of course Lucy is in awe of him as this stealth player and it is supposed to change everyone on the show's perspective of him?  I thought it was a bit of a disservice to the characters and the actors.  I'm sure the actor knows he doesn't look like Brad Pitt and yet the writers are making him out to be this irresistible catch.

When Ernie kept dreading a re-encounter with Detective Reed because of their broken relationship... am I the only one that expected Detective Reed to be a man?

The way she was throwing herself at Ernie I get the impression that Ernie dreaded seeing her because she's one of those "pick out the patterns for the napkins at our wedding even though it's just the first date" insanely clingy types. I know I wouldn't go within a hundred miles of a woman like that so I think Ernie's reaction is understandable. And she still gets him to take her out for coffee.