Type keyword(s) to search

The Hope "Fancy Face" Brady Thread

• Start Topic

I was just watching clips of Carl on Another World last night (don't judge me!) and after losing his son Ryan, the character was constantly in emotional pain. Even during "happy" times. Life was soured for him on a profound level. Charles Keating and the writers never let that go.

It was only when the show was finishing and they brought him back that he was relieved of his grief, thanks to partial amnesia after brain surgery. That Carl was pretty happy and lighthearted. It was pretty moving to see him like that because his vendetta against Grant for killing Ryan consumed him.

It's hard to think of anyone on this show who's been shaped by grief in that way. Hope over losing Zach, yes. Jennifer and JJ over losing Jack (until this messy return), yes. Kristen over losing John and Brady (though not because of death), yes. Anna over losing Tony (until his return), yes.

Death just doesn't land much on Days. It's a shame because I think the show was much better using it to inform the character's stories.

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Death just doesn't land much on Days. It's a shame because I think the show was much better using it to inform the character's stories.

The last time it was used well was with Brady being haunted by the death of Isabella, and being desperate to save Chloe from her fate.

Of course this was right before the show decided to retcon almost all deaths, including the hospital bed ones. British soap operas (which aren't dying like American ones are) don't do that. Dead actually means dead on British soaps. They also don't SORAS, although they will hire 18-year olds to play 13 so they can give them sexual stories.

Anyway, to take it back to Hope and death, she also had a Miscarriage in the 80's and we see Steve sing "Love Is A River" to her because that was a theme with Steve. Hope/Bo/Steve/Kayla had a wonderful relationship. That was a seriously beautiful scene.

It kind of would have been a nice nod if we had seen the child that Hope had miscarried in Heaven as well but eh, I could also see where that might have been a bit much. Also, I'm not sure if Ron even knows that happened.

4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

It's hard to think of anyone on this show who's been shaped by grief in that way. Hope over losing Zach, yes. Jennifer and JJ over losing Jack (until this messy return), yes. Kristen over losing John and Brady (though not because of death), yes. Anna over losing Tony (until his return), yes.

I think RoJohn was affected by Marlena's death and it shaped his relationships with Diana Isabella and his children.  The same thing happened with Bo and it was so insulting when JER had Bo treat Hope like crap when she came back.

3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It kind of would have been a nice nod if we had seen the child that Hope had miscarried in Heaven as well but eh, I could also see where that might have been a bit much. Also, I'm not sure if Ron even knows that happened.

We should have seen that child and we should have seen Hope's mother..  I don't think that Ron knows that Hope had a miscarriage for Bo.

53 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

We should have seen that child and we should have seen Hope's mother..  I don't think that Ron knows that Hope had a miscarriage for Bo.

Unless she was recast, we could not have seen Hope's (and Julie's and Steve Olson's!) mother in heaven. Actress Patricia Barry, who played Addie, passed away in 2016. (She is in the 2016 list of TCM Remembers, if you want to see...)

• Useful 1