Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E04: Disney Night

• Start Topic

What I am noticing is that the women are constantly being scored higher than the men, even though I think at least Jimmie, Iman, and the Miz have comparable ability, and possibly Cody. Also, while I think Len appears to regard Jimmie and Matt more positively compared to Iman, it isn't the first time that he has been overly critical of a Black male celebrity. Who was that one-named celeb who was paired with Karina? Romeo or Mario? (Not Mario Lopez.) Len was VERY critical of him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

In the case of DWTS judgment is subjective. What looks good to one judge doesn’t necessarily rock another judge’s boat. Then throw in what TPTB say the judges can or cannot say and you’ve got four stooges wasting time.

And then there’s Tyra’s staccato screaming. The biggest waste of time. Someone needs to teach her the difference between a host and a star. 

• Love 7

I have no clue about ball room dancing or how it is scored. I can only go on what looked good to me and the level of effort that seemed to be involved, kind of like when I watch gymnastics or ice skating during the Olympics.

I can appreciate the skill of JoJo, I think she has the right background and is young enough and flexible enough to make it look easy. I really appreciate Miz and Jimmie because they don't have the background and I think that this is so far out of their norm. You can see them growing and getting better and they are just fun.

I would love to see Brian and Olvia gone for different reasons. Brian's attitude sucks and I don't appreciate Olivia's "job" or backstory.

I think Kenya, Iman, and Matt are easy chops over the next few weeks due to performance, skill, and smaller fan bases.

JoJo has a lot of skill. I think they need to stop playing up the same sex partner thing, just let it be what it is. She has pulled back from the hyper energy of her first two performances and it has made her dances more enjoyable for me.

Mike (Miz) I am sorry but I love him. This is so outside his comfort zone and he really has embraced it. He is looking better and better each week. He has a smile on his face and is having a blast out there. His growth is noticeable. I think he is my favorite.

Jimmie is great. I love his energy and how much he is improving. He seems to be having a blast and his dances are looking pretty good. I like him a lot. Not enough to listen to country music but that is a different bias. I love watching Jimmie and want him to go far.

I only saw a few seconds of Cody's dance because of technical problems. I had no clue what movie they were using. There wasn't enough to really judge anything. Cheryl seemed to be wearing the same outfit as last time. I hope that tonight's dance is a lot better. I am not sure that they should still be in this contest. They probably should have been removed when the COVID announcement was made. It seems like Cheryl was sick enough that she is not in great shape for this level of dancing and god knows the entire story line has been disruptive. It has distracted from anything else that they have done. Honestly, Cody is the only reason I am watching because my Cult demands that I do. (winks and takes a sip of Nuun)

Melanie was not in sync with her partner and looks like she is working with every dance. She is hard for me to watch because I expect more from her based on her performing experience. I get that she was dancing a totally different style but I figured she would have made the adjustment by now.

Olivia dances well but I just don't like her. I am not a fan of this ridiculous influencer crap from social media and I really find it annoying that spoiled kids of rich parents are somehow elevated because they can influence what other people wear and the like. I didn't like Paris and Nicole when they were a thing before the internet got hge. I don't like Olivia and what she represents. And that is before we get to the whole cheating to get into college and never really acknowledging how her privilege led her to and her parents to think that this was ok. She represents everything that is wrong with social media and putting rich people on platforms. So I don't like her regardless of how well she dances.

Kenya she is just there. She doesn't stand out, I don't think she is particularly good.

Iman is out of place, not because he isn't trying but the height gap just makes it hard for him to look smooth and like he is working with his partner. I didn't see tonight's dance so that is based on the last few weeks. I think he is working hard and enjoying himself but I don't think he is going to make the same type of improvement that we have seen in Mike and Jimmie.

Matt's dance was forced and not good. He has no rhythm and that costume was awful, it did him no favors.

I didn't see Suni or Melora's dance, my son wanted me to hang out in his room while he was falling asleep and I don't have enough interest in either to watch their performance. I am not sure that Melora's actually was viewable for me because of a technological glitch that left out most of Cody's dance.

Brian is awful. He doesn't want to be there, he has no interest in the program, and his attitude sucks.

I can't remember the name of the Tarzan dancer. It was fine but nothing great and I don't know much about her so she really doesn't stand out.

• Love 8

It's a shame that Cody got Covid because he has the potential to be really good. I don't think Cheryl is doing him any favors. If she's not well (and she obviously isn't), then she should go home and let Britt or someone else work with Cody until she gets better.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

It's a shame that Cody got Covid because he has the potential to be really good. I don't think Cheryl is doing him any favors. If she's not well (and she obviously isn't), then she should go home and let Britt or someone else work with Cody until she gets better.

I suspect that Cody is just fine and it is more Cheryl still being under the weather. She looked out of breath and off last week while Cody looked fine. He does need someone who can teach him the steps and design the choreography. If Cheryl is not 100% then it is going to affect Cody's ability to learn what he needs to learn. I wish they would bring in an alternate.

• Love 7

I understand what Tyra was getting at, but Cinderella was not rescued by her Prince. She was rescued by her fairy godmother. Has she never read the story?

Some of these costumes were really unfortunate, like Matt's unitard, and the Miz? Really disturbing. And OK Alan was dressed as Tarzan, but who was Amanda dressed as? I don't remember Jane ever wearing a getup like that. And what the hell were Melora and Artem dressed as and what in the heck did it have to do with Jungle Book? 

Some of the songs (and covers) were just downright crappy, like whatever the heck Kenya and Brandon had to dance to, and Jimmy and Emma had a particularly bad one for a Paso. And Brian Austin Green and Sharna were supposed to be dancing to Some Day My Prince Will Come but it wasn't even the right song - they made up different lyrics to it!

If I'm not mistaken, Iman and Daniella got the actual song from Frozen rather than a cover, or else it was a pretty good cover. And while this was definitely Iman's best dance so far, no way in hell he should have been scored higher than Cody. He wasn't that good. It's getting to the point where the scoring looks suspiciously like it's intended to make up for lack of votes.

Amanda's kid's name is Elvis? Why does Amanda hate her kid?

Have to say, Olivia and Val's Samba rolls looked really good. Few couples do those well.

I'm sorry, but Suni and JoJo already look like pro dancers to me. Don't understand why Suni in particular is getting such low scores. To my untrained eyes she's perfect. 

I thought Miz and Whitney did the best job with the Mickey challenge . . . which? Was stupid. It's like the show sets these couple up to fail by giving them even more stuff for Len to bitch about.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And what the hell were Melora and Artem dressed as and what in the heck did it have to do with Jungle Book? 

She was supposed to be Baloo and he was Bagheera.

I guess Amanda's costume was a rhumba-appropriate take on Jane's yellow dress? (I've chosen to block out the part where they talked about the song being about a mother and son because...ew.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I have no clue about ball room dancing or how it is scored. I can only go on what looked good to me and the level of effort that seemed to be involved

As far as I can tell, the show doesn’t either, and everyone gets scored 1 of 3 scores: “I didn’t like it”, “it was okay”, and “I liked it!” The number values of those scores creeps slowly upwards over the course of the season, so they start out on a 5-7 range, very quickly move to 6-8, then 7-9, then 8-10. This does leave them room in the middle of the season to -1 or +1 out of their current general 3 score range to add “I really hated it 😡” and “I LOVED IT🤩

Scoring on this show is definitely not any deeper than that.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I have no clue about ball room dancing or how it is scored. I can only go on what looked good to me and the level of effort that seemed to be involved, kind of like when I watch gymnastics or ice skating during the Olympics.

I can appreciate the skill of JoJo, I think she has the right background and is young enough and flexible enough to make it look easy. I really appreciate Miz and Jimmie because they don't have the background and I think that this is so far out of their norm. You can see them growing and getting better and they are just fun.

I would love to see Brian and Olvia gone for different reasons. Brian's attitude sucks and I don't appreciate Olivia's "job" or backstory.

I think Kenya, Iman, and Matt are easy chops over the next few weeks due to performance, skill, and smaller fan bases.

JoJo has a lot of skill. I think they need to stop playing up the same sex partner thing, just let it be what it is. She has pulled back from the hyper energy of her first two performances and it has made her dances more enjoyable for me.

Mike (Miz) I am sorry but I love him. This is so outside his comfort zone and he really has embraced it. He is looking better and better each week. He has a smile on his face and is having a blast out there. His growth is noticeable. I think he is my favorite.

Jimmie is great. I love his energy and how much he is improving. He seems to be having a blast and his dances are looking pretty good. I like him a lot. Not enough to listen to country music but that is a different bias. I love watching Jimmie and want him to go far.

I only saw a few seconds of Cody's dance because of technical problems. I had no clue what movie they were using. There wasn't enough to really judge anything. Cheryl seemed to be wearing the same outfit as last time. I hope that tonight's dance is a lot better. I am not sure that they should still be in this contest. They probably should have been removed when the COVID announcement was made. It seems like Cheryl was sick enough that she is not in great shape for this level of dancing and god knows the entire story line has been disruptive. It has distracted from anything else that they have done. Honestly, Cody is the only reason I am watching because my Cult demands that I do. (winks and takes a sip of Nuun)

Melanie was not in sync with her partner and looks like she is working with every dance. She is hard for me to watch because I expect more from her based on her performing experience. I get that she was dancing a totally different style but I figured she would have made the adjustment by now.

Olivia dances well but I just don't like her. I am not a fan of this ridiculous influencer crap from social media and I really find it annoying that spoiled kids of rich parents are somehow elevated because they can influence what other people wear and the like. I didn't like Paris and Nicole when they were a thing before the internet got hge. I don't like Olivia and what she represents. And that is before we get to the whole cheating to get into college and never really acknowledging how her privilege led her to and her parents to think that this was ok. She represents everything that is wrong with social media and putting rich people on platforms. So I don't like her regardless of how well she dances.

Kenya she is just there. She doesn't stand out, I don't think she is particularly good.

Iman is out of place, not because he isn't trying but the height gap just makes it hard for him to look smooth and like he is working with his partner. I didn't see tonight's dance so that is based on the last few weeks. I think he is working hard and enjoying himself but I don't think he is going to make the same type of improvement that we have seen in Mike and Jimmie.

Matt's dance was forced and not good. He has no rhythm and that costume was awful, it did him no favors.

I didn't see Suni or Melora's dance, my son wanted me to hang out in his room while he was falling asleep and I don't have enough interest in either to watch their performance. I am not sure that Melora's actually was viewable for me because of a technological glitch that left out most of Cody's dance.

Brian is awful. He doesn't want to be there, he has no interest in the program, and his attitude sucks.

I can't remember the name of the Tarzan dancer. It was fine but nothing great and I don't know much about her so she really doesn't stand out.

Unfortunately, Matt won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Allow me to introduce you to Bachelor Nation...

• LOL 2
8 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Unfortunately, Matt won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Allow me to introduce you to Bachelor Nation...

I actually wonder if he has the Bachelor Nation support.  A lot of that fan base blamed his season for Chris Harrison being ‘cancelled’.  It’ll be interesting to see. 
Personally my favorite male dancer is The Miz and I hope he goes far.   He brings such energy and commitment to learning.  BAG is my least favorite male dancer because he does the exact opposite.   I really loved Melora’s dance yesterday although I thought it was overscored.  All in all, I don’t have a dancer that I want to leave yet even Olivia as she is dancing well.  

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

I actually wonder if he has the Bachelor Nation support.  A lot of that fan base blamed his season for Chris Harrison being ‘cancelled’.  It’ll be interesting to see. 

Yes, I agree I am not so sure.  He wasn't very popular.  He really became quite the downer in his season, then dumped the girl he chose, and as mentioned above gradually led to the Chris Harrison debacle.  He is now back with his girlfriend, but yet Chris never got his job back--so I think it was a season of drama, not a lot of love, and there is that awful beard he grew for a while, too, lol. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Sounds like I may be in the minority on this but I absolutely loved the Mickey Dance Challenge. I loved seeing how the pros incorporated the same dance move into their specific genre and I loved seeing the stars' eyes light up when they got to that part of their dance. There was something really fun and charming about it and I wouldn't be upset if they incorporated some variation of that challenge every season.

I thought everyone did a great job last night, with the exception of Brian. I don't know if it's a fear of looking stupid or if he just isn't a good dancer or what, but every time he's on the floor it looks like it pains him to be there. It stresses me out watching him. I hope he gets eliminated tonight just to put him out of his misery.

I wasn't super wild about Alan and Kenya's dance but it wasn't really their fault. This is the third time the show's had a couple dance to that song and for me no one has held a candle to Sasha and Simone. It was a perfectly acceptable dance and I did notice her opening up and relaxing into it partway through (right at the Mickey Dance part, no less) but it wasn't anything to write home about. Was it just me or did she look like she panicked a little before jumping into that last lift? Also, I really need to reiterate this: are there no other Moana songs the show could use? None?

As soon as Matt came out in his Frozone outfit I thought to myself, "That is going to highlight every move he makes so he better be spot on." He wasn't but I didn't really care that much. He looked like he was having a great time, and I appreciate that he seems to be pretty game for anything Lindsay throws at him.

I had so many favorite dances last night, I can't even narrow them down, nor can I even rank them. I had to rewatch JoJo and Jenna's on YouTube because there was a little glitch on my DVR that blinked out part of it and it was so pretty. I'm glad she had a slower dance this week because I think it was a good way to kind of force to her to control her moves. I hope she applies that to any quicker dances that are to come as I felt that as good as she is, her earlier dances were a little frenetic. I adored Jimmie's paso, and it was my favorite interpretation of the Mickey Dance as well. He's quickly becoming one of my favorites to watch. Suni's salsa was so fun. She's so technically good that I can't wait until she lets herself really feel the music and goes all in. She is going to shine. Melora was SO GOOD last night! Talk about breaking out and shining. So impressed with how she threw herself into that quickstep.

I must have watched Iman's dance like 10 times last night. I don't know what it was about it because it surely wasn't the best of the evening but gosh, I just loved it. He had that same moment as Kenya (again at the Mickey Dance!) where he just lit up and really embraced what he was doing and there was something so gorgeous about that. I saw the rest of the cast were already on their feet cheering and even the judges were all beaming. Len's 6 on that was bullshit. At the very least, it deserved a 7.

Olivia's samba was great. She's really an excellent dancer, and I love watching her (even though it freaks me out just how much she looks like her mother). I've said this before on these boards and I'll say it again: I would feel like a hypocrite if I bitched about "fan favorites" getting votes and advancing when they shouldn't and then in the next breath said I was withholding my vote from someone who is legitimately good. As long as she keeps doing well, she'll keep getting my votes.

• Love 3

I read somewhere else that Brian has neurological problems from an accident he got into years ago. I think he has some memory and other problems. It's a shame, but if he is limited then he shouldn't be completing. I'm all for disabled people competing if they can do the dances (Nyle and Amy P were awesome), but if someone can't do the dances then they shouldn't be there. I will give him credit that he isn't using that as a sob story to get votes. I guess he figured that the Sharna shipper stans would be enough.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, alexa said:

Yes, I agree I am not so sure.  He wasn't very popular.  He really became quite the downer in his season, then dumped the girl he chose, and as mentioned above gradually led to the Chris Harrison debacle.  He is now back with his girlfriend, but yet Chris never got his job back--so I think it was a season of drama, not a lot of love, and there is that awful beard he grew for a while, too, lol. 

If Grocery Store Joe can get to the semi-finals or whatever it was, then Matt James can definitely get just as far. Let's be honest, hardly any of these stars really have any proper built in fanbases. Even if half of Bachelor Nation is voting for Matt, that will be enough to carry him a long way especially when taking into account how easy it is to vote now with the text voting as opposed to calling in.

Edited by Emily-D
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

If Grocery Store Joe can get to the semi-finals or whatever it was, then Matt James can definitely get just as far. Let's be honest, hardly any of these stars really have any proper built in fanbases. Even if half of Bachelor Nation is voting for Matt, that will be enough to carry him a long way especially when taking into account how easy it is to vote now with the text voting as opposed to calling in.

He actually isn't that bad of a dancer compared to the other bachelors. I don't watch that show, but he seems to try and has good chemistry with Lindsay. The only bad dancer left at this point is BAG.

It's all going to come down to who has the most fans. I would say that would be Matt or Suni or Jimmy (country music fans vote hard on this show). I know JoJo has a lot of fans as well, but they are mostly children and the soccer moms who vote won't support a gay woman.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Competely agree!

I don't like it that she is on this show. This rewards her own bad behavior.  It speaks volumes that her convicted felon parents are not in the audience.

She better leave before Suni.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

He actually isn't that bad of a dancer compared to the other bachelors. I don't watch that show, but he seems to try and has good chemistry with Lindsay. The only bad dancer left at this point is BAG.

It's all going to come down to who has the most fans. I would say that would be Matt or Suni or Jimmy (country music fans vote hard on this show). I know JoJo has a lot of fans as well, but they are mostly children and the soccer moms who vote won't support a gay woman.

Agree, although Matt is in the lower rung of dancers. When BAG goes, the next group of dancers who should be eliminated from an ability basis are Kenya and Matt, but it's not going to happen with Matt.

One thing I'm fairly confident about, is that Melora and Olivia (I think these two have the least fans of the women) are going to make up a shock bottom two sometime within the next two or three weeks and that will be the elimination in which the judges use their save pass (if it still exists). I could also see Suni in danger sooner rather than later, she just isn't standing out to me. All of these women are arguably better dancers than Miz, Jimmie and Iman, but I think all of them have far more fans who will vote.

On a positive note, I still think like last season the winner is up in the air, which is good as it makes things more intriguing.

• Love 2

I love Melora. I wish she could win but she won't. She deserves and needs those scores because she doesn't have a teen fan base around her or had things just handed to her. I also like Jimmy for similar reasons.

Iman seems like a really cool guy and he's definitely a bit underscored.

Lindsay looked amazing with the dark wig. If she went dark she'd stand out from all the blondes on the show in the most mysterious and stunning way. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

I think BAG should go if he's in the bottom two.  Otherwise, I can see Kenya going today since the other women are better dancers and men seem to be more popular with the voters.

I agreed with the judges that I liked Jimmie and Emma's Mickey challenge the best.  I thought it was so cool when I first saw it and it did look like a kata.  Also think that Melora had a break through moment and her dance was just gorgeous.

I think Len shouldn't have scored Iman a six but I thought eight was too high.  I would have scored a 7 for him.

Amanda, Mel C., and Suni are technically good dancers but they need to work on their performance.  Amanda is too careful, Mel C. is in her head too much, and Suni needs to be more comfortable.  Out of those three, I see Suni improving the most performance wise.

Cheryl still seems tired to me.  I hope that it was a lack of practice that Cody's jive technique was lacking.  I had higher expectations for him after the first show.

Miz and Jimmie seem like hard workers.  I enjoy their dances the most out of the men.

I actually liked Tyra's first outfit. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

I think BAG should go if he's in the bottom two.  Otherwise, I can see Kenya going today since the other women are better dancers and men seem to be more popular with the voters.

I agreed with the judges that I liked Jimmie and Emma's Mickey challenge the best.  I thought it was so cool when I first saw it and it did look like a kata.  Also think that Melora had a break through moment and her dance was just gorgeous.

I think Len shouldn't have scored Iman a six but I thought eight was too high.  I would have scored a 7 for him.

Amanda, Mel C., and Suni are technically good dancers but they need to work on their performance.  Amanda is too careful, Mel C. is in her head too much, and Suni needs to be more comfortable.  Out of those three, I see Suni improving the most performance wise.

Cheryl still seems tired to me.  I hope that it was a lack of practice that Cody's jive technique was lacking.  I had higher expectations for him after the first show.

Miz and Jimmie seem like hard workers.  I enjoy their dances the most out of the men.

I actually liked Tyra's first outfit. 

I think BAG and Kenya should go home tonight. They're the weak links as of right now.

Jimmie and Emma deserved the two points for the Mickey Challenge.

Iman was overscored.

I find Amanda boring. Mel C's dancing comes off forced to me. Suni never looks comfortable. She does the steps but with no flavor or oomph. She needs to just let go and feel the music.

Cheryl seemed wiped out last night. A lot of her movements in the dance were rushed and unfinished. Came off sloppy.

The Miz is the most entertaining of the male celebs and I enjoy Jimmies dancing. He's trying.

Edited by WildFlower87
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Len REALLY hates Iman, for some reason. He's been consistently underscoring him for some reason. Iman is actually one of the better male celebs this season. He may not be perfect, but he's doing quite well and has shown consistent progress from week to week. 

And all it's going to do is ensure Iman's supporters come hard for him, if social media is anything to go by. I constantly read after every episode how unfair the judges are to Iman, how much he's being underscored, how likable he is, etc. Yeah don't be surprised if Daniella has another Nelly on her hands and he makes it really far. 

20 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Can't be it. Past ones were Production favs like Hannah and Kaitlyn 

Perception is an interesting thing because during both Kaitlyn and Hannah's seasons, if you went to where Bachelor Nation gathered, there were many points during the season where they insisted either woman was being underscored. And man did they hate Carrie Ann who they were always convinced was apparently jealous of both Hannah and Kailtyn and unfairly scoring them. Not sure what exactly she would be jealous of but oh well. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And all it's going to do is ensure Iman's supporters come hard for him, if social media is anything to go by. I constantly read after every episode how unfair the judges are to Iman, how much he's being underscored, how likable he is, etc. Yeah don't be surprised if Daniella has another Nelly on her hands and he makes it really far. 

Perception is an interesting thing because during both Kaitlyn and Hannah's seasons, if you went to where Bachelor Nation gathered, there were many points during the season where they insisted either woman was being underscored. And man did they hate Carrie Ann who they were always convinced was apparently jealous of both Hannah and Kailtyn and unfairly scoring them. Not sure what exactly she would be jealous of but oh well. 

Yes I remember that crap. I was eyerolling hard. How dare Famewhore Hannah get critiqued! Then the show made sure James didn't make the final so Hannah could win 

12 hours ago, Emily-D said:

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Bachelor Nation for once again making me look like a complete idiot!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Emily-D said:

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Bachelor Nation for once again making me look like a complete idiot!

I haven't watched The Bachelor in years so I don't know who's popular or not.  I thought for sure that Matt would last longer since Grocery Store Joe was so stiff.  Jenna was dancing circles around him to make their dances look better.  Matt is not a dancer and wasn't as good as Hannah or Kaitlyn but miles better than Joe.

• Love 1