Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E04: Disney Night

• Start Topic

Just now, Annber03 said:

Wow, that was a beautiful dance from JoJo and Jenna. I really liked that. 

It really was. I liked the way they incorporated the Mickey moves. Who knew Mickey's goofy dance could be elegant?

Not sure what Tyra's supposed to be? Lion King?

• Love 5

That was my favorite performance for JoJo and Jenna. I don't like either of them, but for the first time this felt like they were dancing as partners and not just next to each other in similar costumes. 

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Not sure what Tyra's supposed to be? Lion King?

They played Lion King music for her runway strut out so that's my guess. 

• Love 6

When the Circle of Life started playing I fully expected Tyra to be carried out and presented like baby Simba. I actually didn’t hate her first outfit which probably means her second one will be completely ridiculous. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

When the Circle of Life started playing I fully expected Tyra to be carried out and presented like baby Simba. I actually didn’t hate her first outfit which probably means her second one will be completely ridiculous. 

I was expecting a sexed up version of the original Mickey Mouse Club with Tyra in glitter across her boobs. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

They played Lion King music for her runway strut out so that's my guess. 

Ah...I missed her intro (I mean, I was sitting here, but I wasn't paying attention), so hadn't gotten a good look at her dress when I made that comment.

• Love 2

It's funny to see the Genie dancing with Jasmine :p. 

But Aladdin is probably my favorite Disney movie, so hard not to like that :D.  I also liked Miz talking about his daughters in the pre-dance package, that was sweet. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

That was my favorite performance for JoJo and Jenna. I don't like either of them, but for the first time this felt like they were dancing as partners and not just next to each other in similar costumes. 

Yes!  This is how I feel about them too.  Normally I can’t tell who is leading who, and each dance is very frenetic.  This was MUCH better.  

• Love 2

I like how Daniella had to mention specifically that she and Iman would be dancing to "Let it Go" from Frozen. Considering that was the big hit that virtually everyone and their mother is familiar with from that movie, that's kind of a no brainer :p. 

Nice dance, though, yes. And man, so many of these contestants have really cute kids :). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

The kerfuffle at the end of the show with the credits rolling while Tyra was still talking and Tyra spitting-out her lines rapid-fire to beat the start of "The Good Doctor" made me laugh so hard. All the dancetestants looked so confused. Lol. No elimination tonight? Do we think they just want to have one tomorrow or were they protecting someone?  

Her Lion King dress might actually have been pretty without the neck-choker, the lion-mane fuzz, and the flare-out at the bottom. Tyra, you don't have to announce your outfit changes, no one cares as much as you think they do. And it's so irritating how she constantly tries to co-opt every contestant's personal story and inject her own experience.   

I tried to keep track of how many times they name-checked the Mickey Dance Challenge but gave up after the first dance after it hit five. I think it ended up around forty :)  

I understand they wanted to have JoJo play lead and the traditional male role, but they decide to do it this week so Jenna can be the pretty pretty princess Cinderella? 

Gleb and Melanie C. were good (and that's saying something from me about Gleb, lol), but seeing them with the broom just reminded me of Sharna and Charlie's Mary Poppins dance when Charlie dropped the umbrella in the original dance AND the re-do routine :/

Country music fan here, so I knew of Jimmie Allen already (like his music a lot) but this show is making me like Jimmie the person. Him singing the words to the song all throughout the dance cracked me up. And then I cracked up again at Tyra stumbling over her chat with Jimmie, how she said that he was going to be 'another daddy,' apparently heard herself in her head, and cut herself off for what she implied.

Olivia Jade must have gotten a negative amount of genes from her dad. It is uncanny how much she looks like an early-Full-House-seasons version of her mother. Between the hair and the glasses, Lindsay totally channeled Velma from Scooby-Doo for their dance, didn't she? And Witney, tough guys can love their families and be good husbands, too. I wasn't exactly sure where she was going with that.

Kenya/Brandon's "How Far I'll Go" contemporary to Moana didn't measure up to Sasha/Simone's. Kenya didn't do much other than the Mickey Challenge and get lifted by Brandon.

I loved Sasha jumping up and down trying to be seen behind Tyra while she was talking and how it made Suni laugh, and I loved Suni/Sasha's dance. She's getting more comfortable every week, but at the same time she seems more than a little but uncomfortable with the gushing praise and I don't think she knows quite what to do with it, poor thing. 

Melora's quickstep was the best quickstep, and the quickest, of the night, and the Monk fan in me is happy that she ended up at the top of the leaderboard. Cheryl, on the other hand, looked tired in the rehearsal clip and she was moving at 70-80% for the entire dance. Even during the judges' commentary she looked tired. I hope she's not still sick.

*LOL at the APPLAUSE sign after The Miz/Witney's dance that clearly wasn't supposed to be on screen. So that's how they get wild applause from the audience after every single dance.

The judges turning on Brian Austin Green and Sharna's love connection is interesting.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

The kerfuffle at the end of the show with the credits rolling while Tyra was still talking and Tyra spitting-out her lines rapid-fire to beat the start of "The Good Doctor" made me laugh so hard. All the dancetestants looked so confused. Lol. No elimination tonight? Do we think they just want to have one tomorrow or were they protecting someone?  

They typically have no elimination on Disney Week. The problem is that the show assumes that we don't remember past seasons.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

They typically have no elimination on Disney Week. The problem is that the show assumes that we don't remember past seasons.

There’s too many people still in this thing to be pulling no eliminations. I’m hoping for a double tomorrow.

A double that considers scores cumulatively from both days, because seriously if they made me sit through endless “Mickey challenges” only to make it mean NOTHING I’m going to be so mad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I understand they wanted to have JoJo play lead and the traditional male role, but they decide to do it this week so Jenna can be the pretty pretty princess Cinderella? 

And Witney, tough guys can love their families and be good husbands, too. I wasn't exactly sure where she was going with that

Melora's quickstep was the best quickstep, and the quickest, of the night, and the Monk fan in me is happy that she ended up at the top of the leaderboard. Cheryl, on the other hand, looked tired in the rehearsal clip and she was moving at 70-80% for the entire dance. Even during the judges' commentary she looked tired. 

The judges turning on Brian Austin Green and Sharna's love connection is interesting.

I though Jojo and Jenna’s dance would’ve been more effective if they were from Frozen either playing the two sisters or two Elsa’s. Elsa was really the first independent, don’t need a prince/princess. I thought it was interesting she kept saying she had the “guy” part.

Witney is Mormon, (which is probably where she was judging Mike from) I was surprised to hear her say she wanted 4 kids, she’s really struggled this year with her self image especially when she didn’t fit into pre baby clothes a week after giving birth.

The judges turning on Brian and Sharna, maybe they are trying to help? That he won’t take direction or respect her role as teacher is a red flag.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I just loved how she made a big thing out of how nobody was being eliminated tonight - well, yeah, considering you're doing this part of the show as the credits are rolling and right before the next show starts, that's kind of a no duh. 

I know the show likes its dramatic announcements, but seriously, on nights when nobody's going home, just say that and leave it at that. There's no need to pretend like we're about to go into the big tense elimination moment. 

• Love 5

I also though Cheryl seemed winded. It was pretty clear they gave them Jive because practice time would be so limited. I don’t think they really had wardrobe options. What Cheryl wore looked a lot like what she wore last week.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Len have the wrong score on that last dance, right? A six? Shoulda been an 8

Len REALLY hates Iman, for some reason. He's been consistently underscoring him for some reason. Iman is actually one of the better male celebs this season. He may not be perfect, but he's doing quite well and has shown consistent progress from week to week. 

JoJo and Jenna starting out the night with nearly the highest scores? They DID do an amazing dance, but I am surprised at the high scores right off the bat. Usually, first dances get scored lower than they should. But JoJo did an excellent job with what Jenna gave her, and I will say, Jenna has been impressing me more this season than in seasons' past. I guess it helps that she seems to really be enjoying her partner this season and the potential to win is quite high, but Jenna's been stepping it up. 

Mel C did ok with what she was given...and dare I say it, but Gleb gave off some pretty impressive choreography for what he usually delivers. That being said, I did note that Mel C was off time with Gleb and didn't quite do as well as she could have. But I love Step in Time and think the choreography worked very well, even with the stupid ass Mickey Dance Challenge. That being said, I probably would have scored her a point less because of the mistakes. 

This show really hates Matt, don't they? I get that he's not the strongest dancer, and the song REALLY hindered the quickstep, but I don't think Matt was outright terrible, and Lindsay did a good job with the choreography. Some sloppy footwork, but I think he could have been ok with one higher point. But I'm not really rooting for him anyway. 

Jimmie is also impressing me. I really liked his Paso and I think he did a great job with what he was given. He could have had 10% more power to the dance, but he did quite well and I would have actually scored him higher.

Amanda is a great dancer, and she hits the moves well, but she seems to be holding back a little bit. I did love her rumba, though, and think her and Alan make a solid partnership, but I think there needs to be that one dance that WOWS the audience. It hasn't happened yet, but I have hope that it will.

Olivia...ok, fine, she's good at what she does. And she's pretty much guaranteed to be in the finals with how much the judges love her too. And I'm trying very hard to set aside my personal feelings for her family because she's still very young and can grow and change.  And she really is one of the best dancers on the show. I won't be mad at her in the finals because she deserves it and has worked her butt off. However...yep, personal feelings are still hard to overcome and if her mother hadn't already wormed her way back into a job less than a year after being in prison, then I'm still waiting for her to show up HERE. Trust me, I'm REALLY trying to see Olivia as just Olivia and not a product of her parents. 

The Miz did an excellent job with the character AND the choreography. He has such an infectious energy, and I 100% predict he's a shocking semi-finals boot. He probably is the best male celeb this season, at least for me. 

Kenya...ok, she did what she could, but I actually think this was her weakest dance so far. We know she can do great things, but maybe it was the choreography or maybe she was just having an off night. I just wasn't feeling it from her this time. Hopefully, she does better tomorrow.

Brian....eh, he tried, I guess. I actually think he could be in bottom two tomorrow night, with how rough his criticism have been. If not tomorrow night, then next week. I don't foresee him and Sharna making it much farther now, not with much, much better dancers, and I don't think BAG/Sharna's fanbase can keep them out of the bottom two much longer.

Suni does SO SO well with the material and she has such beautiful lines and has that potential to win...I just also feel like she's holding back a little bit. I really want to see her hit those moves with confidence and strength and power. She's 90% there, but I'm waiting for that extra 10% that has her saying to the audience "I'm here, and I'm here to stay!"

Oh, I am so happy for Melora because that was a stellar quickstep and she absolutely killed it. I said this week 1, that she'd be a dark horse, and my goodness, she broke into the top tier tonight. A lot of confidence, amazing choreography and all around fantastic performance.

Cody...did not do well with the jive. I'm not sure whether it's because him and Cheryl only had a couple of days to practice together in person or he was nervous about his first night back after two weeks, but he was not that good tonight. His footwork was so sloppy and he didn't look like he was confident in the dance at all. I really hope they do better tomorrow, but with them also only have two days to practice in person, I'm definitely a bit worried. He should be fine enough in audience votes to make it to next week, so hopefully he can get back into it.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I also though Cheryl seemed winded. It was pretty clear they gave them Jive because practice time would be so limited. I don’t think they really had wardrobe options. What Cheryl wore looked a lot like what she wore last week.

She was dressed like one of Powerline’s backup dancers. I get the sense she also might have either thought the bike shorts/sports bra combo wouldn’t pop as much on camera and/or might be slightly uncomfy showing her midriff and could have defaulted into a costume she was more comfortable in. Since they’re not really that distinctive beyond black costume/high pony/boots.

(I didn’t love their dance but have a soft spot for that movie as an underrated Disney movie.)

31AA9D6A-0196-48A6-9AE1-4C6F4351B78D.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Country music fan here, so I knew of Jimmie Allen already (like his music a lot) but this show is making me like Jimmie the person. Him singing the words to the song all throughout the dance cracked me up. And then I cracked up again at Tyra stumbling over her chat with Jimmie, how she said that he was going to be 'another daddy,' apparently heard herself in her head, and cut herself off for what she implied.

OMG she needs to stop with the juvenile "mommy" and "daddy" crap. It's so annoying. It's like whenever she talked to anyone under the age of 18 on America's Got Talent like they were three years old.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Melanie and Gleb - pretty sloppy looking to me. Bad synchro with the chimney brushes at the start. Carrie Ann agrees with me. 

Agreed. What dance was that? It definitely wasn’t her best.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

Brian really doesn’t like being coached, does he?

Why do the judges dislike Matt so much? Is it because he has bachelor nation behind him?

Can't be it. Past ones were Production favs like Hannah and Kaitlyn 

• Love 1

Well, it looks like Tyra got a bit of Bibitybobityboo from the Disney fairy godmothers. Lion King Tyra was probably the best she’s ever looked, and the second gold dress was actually quite pretty. Good on ya, Tyra. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Her Lion King dress might actually have been pretty without the neck-choker, the lion-mane fuzz, and the flare-out at the bottom. Tyra, you don't have to announce your outfit changes, no one cares as much as you think they do. And it's so irritating how she constantly tries to co-opt every contestant's personal story and inject her own experience.   

I tried to keep track of how many times they name-checked the Mickey Dance Challenge but gave up after the first dance after it hit five. I think it ended up around forty :)  

Gleb and Melanie C. were good (and that's saying something from me about Gleb, lol), but seeing them with the broom just reminded me of Sharna and Charlie's Mary Poppins dance when Charlie dropped the umbrella in the original dance AND the re-do routine :/

Olivia Jade must have gotten a negative amount of genes from her dad. It is uncanny how much she looks like an early-Full-House-seasons version of her mother. Between the hair and the glasses, Lindsay totally channeled Velma from Scooby-Doo for their dance, didn't she? And Witney, tough guys can love their families and be good husbands, too. I wasn't exactly sure where she was going with that.

Kenya/Brandon's "How Far I'll Go" contemporary to Moana didn't measure up to Sasha/Simone's. Kenya didn't do much other than the Mickey Challenge and get lifted by Brandon.

I loved Sasha jumping up and down trying to be seen behind Tyra while she was talking and how it made Suni laugh, and I loved Suni/Sasha's dance. She's getting more comfortable every week, but at the same time she seems more than a little but uncomfortable with the gushing praise and I don't think she knows quite what to do with it, poor thing. 

Melora's quickstep was the best quickstep, and the quickest, of the night, and the Monk fan in me is happy that she ended up at the top of the leaderboard. Cheryl, on the other hand, looked tired in the rehearsal clip and she was moving at 70-80% for the entire dance. Even during the judges' commentary she looked tired. I hope she's not still sick.

*LOL at the APPLAUSE sign after The Miz/Witney's dance that clearly wasn't supposed to be on screen. So that's how they get wild applause from the audience after every single dance.

I think the APPLAUSE sign behind them was a shout out to when "A Friend like Me" airs in the Movie 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Are there memorable songs from those franchise movies?

During one of the early Disney nights, Joey Fatone danced a Pasa Doble(?) to the main theme from Star Wars. And I have a vague memory of someone  doing a quickstep to the Cantina theme. 
And this may date me terribly, but I also remember a discoish version of the Star Wars soundtrack was an actual top 40 radio  hit in 1977/8. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It looks like they were duplicating the end of the song from the movie:

image.png.e1809f8dec3cb4055b5a37458dcd8fa6.png

• Love 6