Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E02: Kim Kardashian West / Halsey

• Start Topic

UO: I enjoyed the episode and thought Kim did great. I never watched Keeping Up With the Kardashians, but I do follow Kim and Kourtney on social media. I like both sisters (+ Kendall). As a poster above mentioned, Kim always comes across as sweet in interviews.

• Love 1

This episode is getting non-stop coverage and love from media on tv and radio. I didn't want to watch and did not, but man, i can't get away from the clips and glowing commentary. Now the word is this episode was higher rated than Owen Wilson's last week, which is said was one of the least-watched premieres ever.

Gah, I guess I'm not in the SNL demographic.

• Love 3

Me, neither. I didn't plan on watching this but thought I'd read comments here afterward and then decide whether to watch parts on Hulu. That's what I did with the Elon Musk ep. But nothing anyone has said here piques my interest at all. I can't say I hate KK or any of the Kardashians, but I have minus zero interest in seeing them anywhere. I'm not into candid reality shows, and I have no desire to see or hear about any of the inhabitants of that world.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2021 at 11:51 AM, candall said:

Wow, almost everyone here gave KK kudos for being better than expected. 

I thought she had a thin, high, nasal voice coming from somewhere directly behind her sternum and barely managed to pull off reciting the cue cards while exhibiting her one signature expression.  It's a pretty expression, with big doe eyes and a Mona Lisa half-smile, but she was more appealing during that key moment when Amy Schumer made her genuinely laugh.

I still don't know why she was invited to host, other than stunt casting.

I agree. I didn't like the episode at all. And I didn't like the focus on the Kardashian family.

• Love 6
On 10/11/2021 at 7:56 PM, tinkerbell said:

I agree. I didn't like the episode at all. And I didn't like the focus on the Kardashian family.

Exactly.  I still think this was an awful, cringeworthy episode.  It serving as a commercial for the Kardashian brand is a very apt description. All of them, including Kim, are way too self satisfied to actually come across as funny  And as someone else said, every time I see the creepy mother I have to look away.     

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Exactly.  I still think this was an awful, cringeworthy episode.  It serving as a commercial for the Kardashian brand is a very apt description. All of them, including Kim, are way too self satisfied to actually come across as funny  And as someone else said, every time I see the creepy mother I have to look away.     

I have somehow avoided seeing these fools anywhere all these years, even though they are everywhere.  Screw you, SNL, for putting the whole fucking family on the show.  And for what? 

• Love 5
On 10/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, vb68 said:

Kim did help lift the ratings, but maybe not by as much as the show was hoping.

I've been watching SNL since day one...yes, I'm old...anyway...if they want to boost their ratings they shoud unload Lorne Michaels as producer/director and hire a younger, fresher face to man the ship. He's been there since Day One and it's time to go...he's got to be in 70's at this point and he's really not all that in tune with younger viewers...I know this because I have two millenials and one Gen Zer in my family and they all say the show is boring. You're not going to win younger viewers over with boring sketches and hosts like KK or Elon Musk. KK is almost passe at this point and Elon Musk was a terrible host. Also, the cast is too big...I imagine the competition to get airtime is very intense now...I've read that alot of former SNL actors left the show because of the dog eat dog rivalry to get in a sketch was almost a bloodsport behaind the scenes...so it must be unbearable now.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:20 PM, izabella said:

I have somehow avoided seeing these fools anywhere all these years, even though they are everywhere.  Screw you, SNL, for putting the whole fucking family on the show.  And for what? 

Blame Lorne Michaels...he had a dinner meeting with Kris Kardashian during the Emmy's and sealed the deal with her. 

• Love 4

I have thankfully managed to live my life and avoid all things Kardashian. Never seen the show, wouldn't recognize any of them in a picture. 

Halfway through the monologue  and I can't believe people waste time paying attn to this person.

She says I'm always genuine lol. Was that a joke? Nothing genuine about her for a long time by the looks of it.

Stiff in the sketches. Doesn't seem to have any charisma or charm. I don't get the appeal at all.

OJ jokes. Well if you're going to joke about something truly awful at least be funny so its worth it. They were just gross and not funny. 

Not sure I'm going to make it through this episode.

The new blonde guy is terrible. Bad Lindsey Graham, bad Biden impression.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4
On 10/21/2021 at 2:23 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

I've been watching SNL since day one...yes, I'm old...anyway...if they want to boost their ratings they shoud unload Lorne Michaels as producer/director and hire a younger, fresher face to man the ship. He's been there since Day One and it's time to go...he's got to be in 70's at this point and he's really not all that in tune with younger viewers...I know this because I have two millenials and one Gen Zer in my family and they all say the show is boring. You're not going to win younger viewers over with boring sketches and hosts like KK or Elon Musk. KK is almost passe at this point and Elon Musk was a terrible host. Also, the cast is too big...I imagine the competition to get airtime is very intense now...I've read that alot of former SNL actors left the show because of the dog eat dog rivalry to get in a sketch was almost a bloodsport behaind the scenes...so it must be unbearable now.

Blame Lorne Michaels...he had a dinner meeting with Kris Kardashian during the Emmy's and sealed the deal with her. 

SNL is supposedly a friendlier place behind the scenes in recent years, although I imagine there is still competition and people who feel isolated and unhappy (certainly somewhat recent cast members like Noel Wells and Taran Killam left unhappy, not to mention all of Melissa Villasenor's angst tweets). I'm not sure a small cast will change that, as the late '80s had very ugly rivalries, as did the '70s. It's either just the nature of sketch shows, or the nature of Lorne Michaels playing head games. 

Logically, I can agree 21 (24 if you count the Please Don't Destroy guys) is too many, but I tend to prefer larger casts to smaller casts because, with a few exceptions (like the late '80s), smaller casts still tend to overuse the same 2-3 people while 2-3 other people barely get on. That is an issue even with larger casts but there is a little more variety, which makes places like Weekend Update much more tolerable for me.

To be honest I don't think a 50-year old show is ever going to get a younger base, even if or when Lorne leaves. They have had more outreach than I would have expected, probably thanks to social media and making everything available on Youtube, but they would have to make many more changes. I agree that Kim K and Musk aren't likely to get a younger following for the show. Hosts like Timothee Chalamet were probably more successful in that regard. 

Lorne relies too much on stunt casting and on expectations setting. In that sense, Kim's hosting gig "worked" - the ratings had a brief rise and she was seen as doing better than anticipated - but in the long-term this does make the show look desperate, even if they escaped a Musk or Trump-type stain here.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

SNL is supposedly a friendlier place behind the scenes in recent years, although I imagine there is still competition and people who feel isolated and unhappy (certainly somewhat recent cast members like Noel Wells and Taran Killam left unhappy, not to mention all of Melissa Villasenor's angst tweets). I'm not sure a small cast will change that, as the late '80s had very ugly rivalries, as did the '70s. It's either just the nature of sketch shows, or the nature of Lorne Michaels playing head games. 

Logically, I can agree 21 (24 if you count the Please Don't Destroy guys) is too many, but I tend to prefer larger casts to smaller casts because, with a few exceptions (like the late '80s), smaller casts still tend to overuse the same 2-3 people while 2-3 other people barely get on. That is an issue even with larger casts but there is a little more variety, which makes places like Weekend Update much more tolerable for me.

To be honest I don't think a 50-year old show is ever going to get a younger base, even if or when Lorne leaves. They have had more outreach than I would have expected, probably thanks to social media and making everything available on Youtube, but they would have to make many more changes. I agree that Kim K and Musk aren't likely to get a younger following for the show. Hosts like Timothee Chalamet were probably more successful in that regard. 

Lorne relies too much on stunt casting and on expectations setting. In that sense, Kim's hosting gig "worked" - the ratings had a brief rise and she was seen as doing better than anticipated - but in the long-term this does make the show look desperate, even if they escaped a Musk or Trump-type stain here.

Something the show used to do in the 70's and early 80's would be to get guest hosts that were not celebrities, movie/television stars. They would get politicians, athletes, etc...now it seems they have guest hosts that are plugging their latest movie or TV show. Lorne Michaels does play head games with the cast and wields a lot of power. I think he's become a Hamptons/Hollywood kind of guy and the likelihood of him retiring any time soon is probably not in the cards. 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:26 PM, Pete Martell said:

I Want Lorne To Stay There Until He Dies ! The Show Was Horrible In The 80's Except For Eddie Murphy And Joe Piscopo ! I Thought Every Body Was On In The 70's Except Maybe Garret Morris Who Was Mainly On Week End Update ! 

On 10/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, ebk57 said:

Was there a cold open?  I woke up in the middle of the credits and I want to know if I have to go back and watch or if I can just delete this immediately.

They Were Having The Hearings On Face Book ! Cecily Was Diane Feinstein ! Every Body Kept Asking Things About How Comments On Face Book ! The New Guy Who Does Donald Trump And Joe Biden Was Lindsay Graham ! Aidy Was Ted Cruz !

On 10/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, vb68 said:

It was the Senate Facebook hearings with the whistleblower, and the Senators were asking dumb Facebook questions about memes and so forth.  It's probably skippable unless you want to see a different take on Lindsey Graham.

Meant to see it was cool to see Lindsey Buckingham. Since he was there, I wish they had done a "What Up With That" sketch.

Maybe, Bill Hader Was Not Available ! Maybe, Jason Was Not Available ! Possibly Fred Might Have Not Been Available ! Maybe, They Wanted To Focus More On Kim Kardashian !

On 10/10/2021 at 2:18 AM, possibilities said:

I was pleasantly surprised. I almost didn't watch, but I thought it was a perfectly good episode. Nothing spectacular, but that's how SNL is these days, with or without a host I am predisposed to dislike.

The Cold Open brought us a new Lindsey Graham and I also loved the Zuckerberg impersonation-- even though Zuck was just a flash, it captured the mug in a satisfying way. And Aidy's Ted Cruz is much better than her Joe Manchin. 

It helped that KK was self-effacing in the monologue. I don't know whether that's part of her usual schtick or not (because I avoid her entire family as much as possible) but I found it helpful in racheting down my irritation that she was there in the first place. 

Aladdin was weird. The entire set up is that he's insecure about his dick being too small, and she's saying it's not a problem. Then he gets a genie to enlarge it and they're both happy. WTH?

Grown Sexy Ladies was well executed, but it's a joke that's been told enough times already, so I hope they come up with some new material soon.

I don't know why they needed to bring in the celebrity cameos for The Dream Guy, but I still thought it worked as a parody of the Bachelorette franchise.

The Switch was fine.

Lottery was... I don't know why I am okay with these kinds of moments of weirdness, but I am.

WU was amusing, on par with its usual.

People's Kourt was... fine. Somehow all the court shows deserve parody. And since the K family also deserves it, they kind of hada twofer there. I don't know why I hate the mom, but I do. Just the second I see her, I want her gone, no matter what she does, even more than her kids. So I wish she hadn't been there, or anywhere else on the show.

I really liked the "hard seltzer" sketch, again for reasons I cannot explain. But I think they need to keep these kinds of random weirdness sketches to one per episode. I like some random weirdness in my comedy. I just think it needs to be a seasoning, not a staple.

Skims for Dogs was great, mostly because I enjoyed seeing the dogs. Animals, weirdness, skewering of politicians... I'm not that hard to please tonight, I guess.

I skipped Halsey. I skip most of the musical guests, though.

IT Is Better To Go Ahead And Do Some Thing ! I Did Not Think I Would Check The Mail, But I Did Any Way And I Got Another USA TODAY News Paper ! You Would Miss Many Sketches That You Happened To Like ! Kim Did Not Want To Hurt Aladdin's Feelings So She Acted Like He Was Okay ! How Ever, She Was Happier When That Was Bigger ! Kim Would Not Date Ordinary Men So IT Was More Realistic For Her To Date Famous People ! That Is Why They Had Cameo's OF These Famous Men ! Kyle Was On A LOT In Last Week's MAY Episode ! Lindsay Buckingham Sang With Halsey So You Missed Seeing Him ! Also, IF You Always Miss The Musical Guest, Then, You Missed A Fabulous Brandi Carlile That Was On Another Show This Season And Brandi Was FABULOUS On That Other Saturday Night Live Show !

On 10/21/2021 at 1:23 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

NO, I Do NOT Want Lorne To Leave ! Did You Watch In The 1980's ? That Woman Jean And I Am Not Going To Try And Put Her Last Name Was HORRIBLE ! She Did NOT Want Eddie Murphy ! She Lasted Barely ONE YEAR OR As They Called IT TWELVE MONTHS ! Even When Lorne Came Back, He Had Trouble Until Adam Sandler And Chris Farley ! Then, He Got Phil Hartman And Dana Carvey And The Rest OF That Cast ! I Do NOT Want Lorne to Leave Until He Unfortunately Dies ! Then, I  Am Stuck Having Saturday Night Live With Out Lorne Michaels !