Type keyword(s) to search

Book 2: Dragonfly in Amber

Athena
  • Start Topic

OK, I just 2+ chapters in and we are in the late Reverends study the bell rings it's Claire and Brianna they introduce themselves and eventually Roger remembers Claire, she gives him a list of 30 names asking him to find out who survived he finds out she's missing a name, so I remember Claire saying she could not bare or attempt to read Franks works ( not sure if because it was painful for her or something else) someone could enlighten me on it, so where did she get the names ? the way she described Frank's work it was well researched and garnered rave critical acclaim my only other thought is she may had peeked and jot the names or Brianna did, which then leads me to wonder did Frank deliberately leave out Jamie?

2nd question: Looked like Claire did deliberately spill her drink for fear of Brianna seeing the stones or Lallybroch, but her bringing Brianna to meet Roger seemed strange to me as far as setting them up, what made her think it would work, or did they both set it up to get info on Gellis Dunca?

Seems like Claire is still thinking of Frank fondly at this point.

Claire didn't need to read Frank's books for the names of the men, she was there and knew them. She doesn't read his books in the 20 years she was back because when she left Jamie it was a foregone conclusion that Jamie would die at Culloden. She did not want to relive it.

She brought Brianna not to match make her with Roger but to tell her about Jamie. That they found each other attractive was a coincidence. Brianna at this time just thought they were on holiday.

Claire thinks of Frank both fondly and not so fondly. It's not a one or another, it was a complicated relationship.

I don't think you need spoilers tags, as long as we stick to talking about just this book here. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Athena.

OK, I just 2+ chapters in and we are in the late Reverends study the bell rings

it's Claire and Brianna they introduce themselves and eventually Roger remembers Claire, she gives him a list of 30 names asking him to find out who survived he finds out she's missing a name, so I remember Claire saying she could not bare or attempt to read Franks works ( not sure if because it was painful for her or something else) someone could enlighten me on it, so where did she get the names ? the way she described Frank's work it was well researched and garnered rave critical acclaim my only other thought is she may had peeked and jot the names or Brianna did, which then leads me to wonder did Frank deliberately leave out Jamie

?

The names Claire gives Roger are of Jamie's men. She didn't get them from Frank, she knew them already. The name that's missing is Jamie's. Claire thinks she already knows what happened to Jamie, so she doesn't need Roger to look that up. 

Claire doesn't read Frank's work because he's a Jacobite scholar and she's trying to live in the present and not the past. She's afraid if she looks back she won't be able to move forward. But, no, Frank didn't write about Jamie--or at least not that I know of--Frank's a scholar and did find evidence Jamie existed, but little is documented of his life. He's one of the many unknowns history never knows about. 

2nd question: Looked like

Claire did deliberately spill her drink for fear of Brianna seeing the stones or Lallybroch, but her bringing Brianna to meet Roger seemed strange to me as far as setting them up, what made her think it would work, or did they both set it up to get info on Gellis Duncan

?

Well, Claire is also looking for Geillis. I don't remember the scene you're talking about specifically, but if I remember right, Claire wants to have more information before she tells Brianna the truth. I think she just doesn't want Brianna to start putting things together before she has a chance to tell her the whole story. With Roger, she's looking to fill in the blanks on the ending.

Seems like Claire is still

thinking of Frank fondly

at this point.

IMO, Claire always looks at Frank mostly fondly. It's just a very complicated relationship.

ETA: or what peachfrog said in less words.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Claire didn't need to read Frank's books for the names of the men, she was there and knew them. She doesn't read his books in the 20 years she was back because when she left Jamie it was a foregone conclusion that Jamie would die at Culloden. She did not want to relive it.

She brought Brianna not to match make her with Roger but to tell her about Jamie. That they found each other attractive was a coincidence. Brianna at this time just thought they were on holiday.

Claire thinks of Frank both fondly and not so fondly. It's not a one or another, it was a complicated relationship.

Yes, like real life, I think most normal relationships (spouses, brother,sisters etc) are like that.

Which seems Frank ends up on the better end of it, just sadly he carked it ( I had to look it up in three dictionaries, found it first in the online urban dictionary, my dictionary from 1944? didn't have it in it or my 3000page Random house (well it had it but it didn't mean died) finally found it through wikipedia to match the Urban one.

ETA: changed dictionary date, had my mom's name in it I know she wasn't around in the 1800's. LOL

Sorry Mom.

Edited by GrailKing
<SNIP>

Well, Claire is also looking for Geillis. I don't remember the scene you're talking about specifically, but if I remember right, Claire wants to have more information before she tells Brianna the truth. I think she just doesn't want Brianna to start putting things together before she has a chance to tell her the whole story. With Roger, she's looking to fill in the blanks on the ending.

IMO, Claire always looks at Frank mostly fondly. It's just a very complicated relationship.

ETA: or what peachfrog said in less words.

In the study he mentions going the next day to Broch Tuarach the stones are on the way  there and he's thinking of asking Brianna.

Page ten in my soft cover trade book version.

I guess I'm not clear on your question?

I thought you were just asking why Claire didn't want Brianna to know stuff yet and why she was being cagey about the stones and Lallybroch. If you're asking if Claire was setting up Roger and Brianna from the get-go, I never got that impression. After she sees Roger and Brianna together, she does encourage them, but I don't think she specifically knocked on Roger's door to get her daughter a husband/boyfriend. I think it was just a happy accident. 

Claire does go to Roger for a reason, though and that reason has to do with Geillis....I think I should leave it at that for now.

You got all of it correct, but is Roger right that Claire didn't want him to take Brianna to lallybroch and the stones so she purposely spilled the drink to change the situation and line of talk.

The way I read it, he is.

Yes. Roger is correct. Like I said, Claire doesn't want Brianna to start putting things together before Claire tells her the whole story. Partly because Claire knows that it's a pretty unbelievable story and it's going to be hard to convince Brianna that she's not completely lost her mind. Part of what she's doing is looking for tangible proof to show Brianna. Part is just she doesn't want Brianna to get any ideas of her own. And part is that she wants to control how Brianna learns about Jamie. Of course, she can't and, in the end, blurts it out after she gets a big surprise, but I think that's why Claire is being so cagey anyway.

Plus, Claire doesn't know if Brianna can travel too or actually much about the nature of how she traveled herself; best keep Brianna away from those stones.

I was just going to say the same thing about keeping Brianna from the stones.  I always assumed Claire didn't want Brianna accidentally going through the stones like she did.  With her medical training she must have had a strong suspicion that it might be genetic.

If it's genetic, and Claire's parents died do we get any type of info on her family tree will I even see anyone in her ancestry?

Not really. It could be a couple of characters we meet along the way are ancestors of Claire's, though. We just don't know yet.

I suspect they will get finished by the time the series ends. It just hasn't happened quite yet.

BTW, I have a little pet theory that Claire is sort of her own ancestor. Not genetically, but her traveling sets in motion events that puts certain people together who then become her ancestors. Like if she had never traveled, she wouldn't exist. And, yes, I have worked out who I think should be her ancestors, but that's really a topic for another thread.

Well in a nut shell do tell :>)

well she couldn’t travel unless three things happened:

1: she was born:

2: Jamie's ghost showed up

3: the stones! and I think she picked the forget me nots at the stones that started it off.

Are any Beauchamps in the past shown in the books? you would need at least one male, unless she descends from the female side.

I'm waiting to see if we come to a paradox or two.

Edited by GrailKing

Why is it necessary to see Jamie's ghost in order to travel through the stones?  Keep in mind that she didn't see Jamie's ghost herself - she heard about it from Frank.

Edited by toolazy

Well in a nut shell do tell :>)

well she couldn’t travel unless three things happened:

1: she was born:

2: Jamie's ghost showed up

3: the stones! and I think she picked the forget me nots at the stones that started it off.

Are any Beauchamps in the past shown in the books? you would need at least one male, unless she descends from the female side.

I'm waiting to see if we come to a paradox or two.

I too am not sure what Jamie's ghost has to do with Claire being able to time travel. Nor do I think the flowers she picked do either, but there are some Beauchamps that show up in book 7. It's not clear yet if they are Claire's ancestors or not though.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Why is it necessary to see Jamie's ghost in order to travel through the stones?  Keep in mind that she didn't see Jamie's ghost herself - she heard about it from Frank.

I never said she saw or had to see Jamie's ghost, I just said her travel through the stones coincided with it appearing and the stones did nothing until she picked the flowers.

Until then the stones did not sing, no wind picked up or nothing.

Once she disturbed the spot (picked the flowers) the wind picked up, the stones sang, and she touched the stones.

Coming back, I think it's because she had things on her from two different eras, the rings perhaps.

I too am not sure what Jamie's ghost has to do with Claire being able to time travel. Nor do I think the flowers she picked do either, but there are some Beauchamps that show up in book 7. It's not clear yet if they are Claire's ancestors or not though.

Now your going to have me scan book seven at B & N .  LOL

It's a novel or a short story?

I never said she saw or had to see Jamie's ghost, I just said her travel through the stones coincided with it appearing and the stones did nothing until she picked the flowers.

Until then the stones did not sing, no wind picked up or nothing.

Once she disturbed the spot (picked the flowers) the wind picked up, the stones sang, and she touched the stones.

Coming back, I think it's because she had things on her from two different eras, the rings perhaps.

I always figured the inciting incident for her travel was the druids singing up the sun. She travels later that day, if I recall correctly. She and Frank watch the ceremony, she sees the flower, and heads back later in the morning to fetch it. So, my theory is that the ritual "activates" the stones, in a way, though it doesn't actually seem to be a necessary component in later books. In that case, I'd just speculate that the ritual occurs because some druid, some long time in the past, discovered the stone time-gap happens at very specific times of the year.

@ DDD

I'm not saying anyone's ideas are better then anyone's else and Calamity you are correct ( I forgot to mention the druids ) thought the one Druid who came back sat on or near the stones and nothing happened.

But from the book/s we know two people ( not counting Brie and Roger ) Claire and Gellis where something was done physically to pass through, in Gellis case she blood sacrificed her hubby, Claire from what is mentioned above and as for Brieanna and Roger I didn't get there yet but maybe in her case she did inherit from Claire.

You can tell me on that, as it will be a month or two before I find out or is it in DIA?

A catalyst is needed we don't know what it  or who it is so anyone's idea is as good as another.

ETA: leaving for work so I'll check in later.

Edited by GrailKing

Oh no, I didn't mean you were necessarily wrong, GrailKing. The nature of the stones shifts throughout the series some--so what you learn in book one isn't entirely all there is to it by book eight--but even then it's not entirely explained. Most of what the travelers know is what they've learned from doing it themselves. 

The Druid ceremony may also play a part

Roger has Fiona do the ceremony for him on his first attempt and one of the Native Americans says they performed some sort of ritual that Roger and Brianna use when they return to the future through the stone circle on Ocracoke with the kids. It also seems like you can help steer where you end up by focusing your thoughts. So, it seems as though it's a number of factors. Time of year for the universe to align right and make these soft spots; gem stones or metals to protect the travelers; and the right mental state. Those seem to be the consistent things that carry through with all the traveling, IMO. I don't think it was the flowers themselves, but it was the ritual of collecting them coupled with her witnessing the ceremony earlier that put Claire in a state of calm and ease; her gold wedding ring; and that it was the right time of year that made the journey successful for her. Not everyone who tries to travel survives the trip and it seems it gets more difficult each time one does it.

But, as I said, this hasn't been fully explained yet. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Well that's interesting:

how did American Indians get involved with Scottish travelling?

A sad thought just came to me; what if Claire, Bri,Roger all die in the past; we pretty much know Jamie died in his time from his ghost.

Wouldn’t Claire and Jamie like to see their children continue into the future.

Not sure if DG is going for a happy, sad or bitter sweet ending.

Oh no, I didn't mean you were necessarily wrong, GrailKing. The nature of the stones shifts throughout the series some--so what you learn in book one isn't entirely all there is to it by book eight--but even then it's not entirely explained. Most of what the travelers know is what they've learned from doing it themselves. 

Roger has Fiona do the ceremony for him on his first attempt and one of the Native Americans says they performed some sort of ritual that Roger and Brianna use when they return to the future through the stone circle on Ocracoke with the kids. It also seems like you can help steer where you end up by focusing your thoughts. So, it seems as though it's a number of factors. Time of year for the universe to align right and make these soft spots; gem stones or metals to protect the travelers; and the right mental state. Those seem to be the consistent things that carry through with all the traveling, IMO. I don't think it was the flowers themselves, but it was the ritual of collecting them coupled with her witnessing the ceremony earlier that put Claire in a state of calm and ease; her gold wedding ring; and that it was the right time of year that made the journey successful for her. Not everyone who tries to travel survives the trip and it seems it gets more difficult each time one does it.

I know no problem. :>)

I think it's a coincidence.  Much is made in the series of the various sun and fire feasts  being if not necessary to traveling, then a great help to it.  The "druid" women dance at sunrise on Samhain, which is what drew Frank and Claire to the stones in the first place.  They left suddenly because that one woman came back so the next day Claire went back and the rest is literally history.  

One of the things that is never really resolved through book 8 is exactly how the stones work.  There are theories but no one knows anything for certain, except that blood isn't necessary. 

I think it's a coincidence.  Much is made in the series of the various sun and fire feasts  being if not necessary to traveling, then a great help to it.  The "druid" women dance at sunrise on Samhain, which is what drew Frank and Claire to the stones in the first place.  They left suddenly because that one woman came back so the next day Claire went back and the rest is literally history.  

One of the things that is never really resolved through book 8 is exactly how the stones work.  There are theories but no one knows anything for certain, except that blood isn't necessary. 

I don't  think I expressed that right, I didn't mean the ceremony did some magic that allowed travel; I just meant it's a bit like meditation and helps prepare the traveler mentally. It just seems there's a mental-clarity factor needed to successfully travel, IMO. 

But, yeah, it's all mostly conjecture at this point.

BTW, didn't Claire return to the stones that same day, not the next? I was sure she traveled the same day the women called down the sun.

Actually, thinking on it more, I'm pretty sure it does have to be the right time of year, though. The stones don't seem to sing to the travelers except on the sun feasts:

I recall Roger visiting the stone circle for days before he traveled the first time and the they did nothing. It also seems like I remember Claire, Brianna and Roger visiting the stone circle on the wrong day, as well, and the stones were silent. In fact, Roger stumbles upon a couple other circles on non-sun feast days, too. Oh, and the funeral in book seven, Claire didn't hear the stones that day either.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

I am almost positive that it was the next day, but it doesn't really matter. 

At the funeral in book 7, Claire and Jamie talk about the stone circles and Jamie points out that not all stone circles are likely to be portals.

My personal theory is that the more often a person travels, the more sensitive to the stones they become.  

• Love 1

I am almost positive that it was the next day, but it doesn't really matter. 

Oh yeah, I think you're right, she goes back the next morning. I must have been confusing the book and the show. Regardless, I still think the ceremony can be helpful in setting the right "mood", so to speak. 

ETA: I just remembered that, in the book, Claire was up on the hill with a local botanist collecting plants the day before the ceremony too. She didn't hear them nor did she travel when she touched the stones then. I might have to reread the first book again and see what details I've forgotten or gotten mixed up with the show.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Oh yeah, I think you're right, she goes back the next morning. I must have been confusing the book and the show. Regardless, I still think the ceremony can be helpful in setting the right "mood", so to speak. 

ETA: I just remembered that, in the book, Claire was up on the hill with a local botanist collecting plants the day before the ceremony too. She didn't hear them nor did she travel when she touched the stones then. I might have to reread the first book again and see what details I've forgotten or gotten mixed up with the show.

In show it's looks like same day, she was to meet Frank later for dinner.

In book she borrowed Mrs. Baird's car and presses from Mr.Cook and went the following day about 11AM alone to the stones, per chapter 2, pages 29-35 in the trade book version I have.

Edited by GrailKing

Well, in the book, Claire travels around Beltane. The show changed it to Samhain because of their filming schedule. But, yeah, not much would be blooming in Scotland in the first of November.

Were they actually Forget Me Nots, though? Did Claire ever properly identify them? Forget Me Nots are pretty common flowers, I'd be surprised Claire would have such difficulty identifying them.

Edited by DittyDotDot

I don't think she ever did identify them, though she had theories.

In book she named 4 or 5 which forget me not was one, in show it was forget me nots.

I can see the author and show runners pushing that particular flower as it ties in with the theme of the books and show.

OK, so last night I read part one of A DIA, I liked the whole dynamics of the mother daughter relationship, so much so that I read the first page of making waves and I went back and reread part one in it's entirety.

I think I'm going to have a harder time getting through the French storyline as the mother daughter struggle seems more interesting ( and historically I know the end results )hopefully DG makes it interesting enough to get me to the mother,daughter,Frank and Roger parts.

I had the same reaction, Grailking. Actually I take that back. I was freaked out and upset when I first read DIA years ago but then when I settled down I really enjoyed the "current" story, and really enjoyed the mother/daughter dynamic, and Roger. But definitely got sucked back into the past and all that happens too, and was very happy to get back there. But it is a bit of whiplash. I like and want it all!

I like political intrigue in my readings along with personal dynamics of the characters so it's not much of a wonder why my selections of fantasy readings are limited to 4 books, two of which were read in high school like 51 years ago and the other two authors  2011 and now.

I'll probably finished most if not all DG books before GRRM gets his last book out.

After which I may not pick up another fantasy novel, unless DG continues on with Brieanna's going ons or George has something in the wings. 

(edited)

wow it took me four days to get through chapter 6 (not 6 chapters) well it picked up at the dock, Had to get myself stoked so I fast forward to cursing the Randalls before starting chapter 7, hope this is a better read. : >)   smile.png

ETA: anyone think Claire's line at the dock was a sad foreshadowing about

babyFaith

Edited by GrailKing

ETA: anyone think Claire's line at the dock was a sad foreshadowing about

babyFaith

What line at the dock?  About being vaccinated?

She goes out with the old guy to pick flowers but they don't go to Craig Na Dun.  The first time she goes to the stones, it's with Frank.

Edited by toolazy

She goes out with the old guy to pick flowers but they don't go to Craig Na Dun.  The first time she goes to the stones, it's with Frank.

I'd have to reread to be absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure the flower and herb guy takes her to the stone circle first. They eat their lunch there. She thought he wouldn't make it up to the top, but then he had to help her. And she said something like, "Why, it's a henge," and then thought about when she and Frank went to Stonehenge and he made them walk all around and measure it all.

The next day after they went to Loch Ness, she remembered to tell Frank about the circle, and he got all excited because he figured it must be where the women would go for their ceremony. That is in Outlander, though, not book 2.

• Love 2

I'd have to reread to be absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure the flower and herb guy takes her to the stone circle first. They eat their lunch there. She thought he wouldn't make it up to the top, but then he had to help her. And she said something like, "Why, it's a henge," and then thought about when she and Frank went to Stonehenge and he made them walk all around and measure it all.

The next day after they went to Loch Ness, she remembered to tell Frank about the circle, and he got all excited because he figured it must be where the women would go for their ceremony. That is in Outlander, though, not book 2.

That's how I remember it as well. It was something that really stuck out to me when I rewatched the show after reading the books since it's not something they did in the show.

Yes, to me I think the statement by Claire was too cocky, cock sure, flippant whatever description you want to put on it was put there by DG to be an ominous statement either for the baby or for Claire and Jamie or all three as a whole.

Edited by GrailKing

I agree, GrailKing, it could be foreshadowing. I've never thought much of that particular scene before, but I do agree Jamie and Claire--in particular, Claire--are self indulgent and cocky at the start of this book. Losing Faith (heh!) was really a turning point for them both, IMO. 

Been under the weather the last  week, so I haven’t got much past the boob ring description by Claire ( I had no idea of the history of them except for JJ's wardrobe malfunction , I googled for the history of them LOL ) so I hope to get going again tonight.

Yes, to me I think the statement by Claire was too cocky, cock sure, flippant whatever description you want to put on it was put there by DG to be an ominous statement either for the baby or for Claire and Jamie or all three as a whole.

I don't think it's foreshadowing since vaccinations or the lack thereof had anything to do with what happened to Faith.  I'll admit it makes me nervous when Claire is cavalier about her vaccinations -

the plague ship in Voyager leaps to mind here

- as of the end of book 8, it hasn't caused her any harm.  

Maybe maybe not on the foreshadowing, but it does seem to be the author's intent to show Claire's attitudes of her knowledge is not how she should be going about in this or other time periods, and her lack of concern for her unborn in a clearly contagious situation is unsettling.

If Claire was born in the 60's she be a dangerous wild child. :>)

Maybe maybe not on the foreshadowing, but it does seem to be the author's intent to show Claire's attitudes of her knowledge is not how she should be going about in this or other time periods, and her lack of concern for her unborn in a clearly contagious situation is unsettling.

If Claire was born in the 60's she be a dangerous wild child. :>)

It's definitely the case that Claire takes unnecessary risks because she underestimates the danger she's in.  She was terrible about that in Outlander and while she's improved by DiA, she hasn't improved enough.  For instance, she really shouldn't have gone to work at the hospital - Jamie was right about how dangerous that was for her being pregnant, but she did it anyway.  

It worked out okay but it could have gone very wrong.  

After thinking about it, it's a foreshadowing by the author, whether it's the lack of or only minimal antibodies of Claire's body or Claire's cavalier attitude (I can survive this  ) the risk taking should not be normal for a person of her knowledge, she's loosing herself too much in the action and the passion of the time ( of course I got 7-8 more books to go ).

Edited by GrailKing

I think that's one of the themes Gabaldon does well in this series. Claire's not the only traveler who, on occasion, needs reminding this isn't a walk through a history museum and it's dangerous to think history can't hurt her. Like I said, losing Faith was a big turning point for her, though.

• Love 1
On 9/4/2014 at 7:28 AM, absnow54 said:

I thought Alex also strongly resembles Jamie. And isn't he younger than Claire (I can't remember if both him and Mary were younger, or just Mary.) I mean if they cast Tobias as Alex too, they may as well put Sam in a wig and have him play Brianna.

Given his hair in season 2, he wouldn't even need a wig. Just grow it long! hee.

Now I'm wondering who is writing these episode descriptions, heh. In my cable guide, the description for episode 12 is "Alex has a long shot plan to save his baby-mama." 

• Love 2