Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Home and Away

jewel21
  • Start Topic

On 10/11/2021 at 7:37 PM, preeya said:

Quite a bit of "over the top" acting tonight. Chimney throughout, 911 legend operator, Athena doing housework.

I believe this script exceeded the acting abilities of every single cast member, save Bassett. It also managed to make trauma, loss, and grief achingly dull.

• Love 1

So, I did actually like this episode, for the most part, even though it was pretty predictable.

So, is Chimney now going to be gone for a while? Because JLH would have been on maternity leave, at this point, and with Chimney gone to look for her, it seems like he won't be returning with Maddie for a while, until JLH is back working.

But I actually think that Kenneth Choi did a great job portraying his confusion and raw emotions over Maddie taking off. I actually DID like the acting choices he made, because the mother of their child just took off without saying where she was going or why. Of course he's confused and upset and I think he did a good job portraying that. Although punching Buck? I didn't really like that part.

So, Legendary Dispatcher is actually a bully! Fantastic! Now, I'm sure that it'll lead to May learning that Legend Dispatch is picking on her because she's black and wants her to understand how hard they have to work compared to the white dispatchers...but, like, you don't need to be so mean toward May to get your point across, lady! You don't need to spew bullshit like "I accept your apology, but show me you're good, don't tell me!" If this lady had bothered to stop patting herself on the back for being so awesome (which she really was just ok; she's just doing her job, which isn't something that needs infinite praise for, nor does it need EVERYONE TO STOP DOING THEIR JOBS TO WATCH), she would have seen that May is good at what she does. But she's still new, so she needs time to be better.

I did love May and Harry bonding. I don't think we've ever really seen just the two bonding without anyone else. So it was a really nice moment, and it was nice to hear Harry admit that he's angry at his parents and he knows he probably shouldn't be. I love that May told him to let himself feel however he wants to feel because bottling it up is worse. I would actually not be angry if we got more May/Harry bonding moments this season.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I always got the feeling that Maddie loved Chim but wasn't "in love" with him, so I wouldn't be surprised if they broke up and did shared parenting.    

—which would take care of the TV issues of having babies off-screen. 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:55 PM, shapeshifter said:

About the new character ragging on May: 
I'm probably wrong, but my go-to explanation was that the New Old Super Black Female Dispatcher is trying to teach May that to grow up to be respected in her field, that, as a Black woman, she is going to have to be at least 3 times better than everyone else, and by the new character's 3rd episode, she and May will be BFFs. IDK. 🤷‍♀️

I was wondering if she had a beef with Athena and was taking it out on May.

• Useful 4
On 10/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, shapeshifter said:

About the new character ragging on May: 
I'm probably wrong, but my go-to explanation was that the New Old Super Black Female Dispatcher is trying to teach May that to grow up to be respected in her field, that, as a Black woman, she is going to have to be at least 3 times better than everyone else, and by the new character's 3rd episode, she and May will be BFFs. IDK. 🤷‍♀️

On 10/16/2021 at 8:19 AM, Lady Calypso said:

So, Legendary Dispatcher is actually a bully! Fantastic! Now, I'm sure that it'll lead to May learning that Legend Dispatch is picking on her because she's black and wants her to understand how hard they have to work compared to the white dispatchers...but, like, you don't need to be so mean toward May to get your point across, lady!

That would make sense if Legendary Dispatcher actually knew anyone other than herself was giving May a hard time, but what lesson is she teaching if she is the only one trying to make May feel like shit?

• Love 1
On 10/14/2021 at 1:39 AM, Moose135 said:

She saw a guy abducting a woman and tried to stop him, he hit her with his car as he escaped. She was in the hospital in serious condition, but survived. I don't remember where it went from there - I don't think she has been back on the show since then.

I musta missed that episode because I don't remember it at all.

• Love 1
On 10/12/2021 at 12:41 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

Does no one know how to hire a private detective?

Karen hired a private detective to find Nia's bio-mom, and she & Hen were able to satisfy themselves that Nia was all right. I wondered why Hen didn't suggest it. (Though it was lovely that she wanted to GO with Chim.) And yeah, is she still in med school? I mean, going to grad school full-time, in an enhanced program AND working full-time just isn't really possible.

Also, the bullying of May is not OK. When is her gap year up? I think she SHOULD go to college: there are a lot of careers she could choose that are about emergency response, security, and city management and planning and fields related to her ability to remain calm and help people.

Edited by kwnyc