Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Social Media Dilemma

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

I've yet to watch the episode but if Ava was dancing to music with questionable language, maybe DCC should stop dancing to songs with inappropriate lyrics too? Country Girl (Shake it for me) and Shakin' That Tailgate aren't great songs for America's Sweethearts. I'd rather they dance to girl power anthems mostly!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I’m not sure what Ava was dancing to, but Kelli saying she wouldn’t have brought her into training camp means it must have been shocking. If Ava wasn’t one of the strongest dancers, I believe she would have been cut. Both times she’s been in the office, it’s been some of the most serious conversations that I’ve seen Kelli have with any girl in all the seasons.  At least it seems like that too me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Maybe I missed it (again), but was Kat even shown at all? I just think it is weird that they went from cramming her down our throats to acting like she is not even there. And I like her!

I saw her twice & thought exactly that, stop shoving her down our throats... 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rose711 said:

I’m not sure what Ava was dancing to, but Kelli saying she wouldn’t have brought her into training camp means it must have been shocking. If Ava wasn’t one of the strongest dancers, I believe she would have been cut. Both times she’s been in the office, it’s been some of the most serious conversations that I’ve seen Kelli have with any girl in all the seasons.  At least it seems like that too me.

You'd think the DCC org would have someone going through the girls social media accounts to weed out the bad ones. Maybe they do but they still pick them anyway for drama. A few girls (Carla Ann, Brandi, Ika, Karissa Lynnae) were called in for questionable behavior/pictures DURING training camp and not before.  .

• Love 9

It really annoyed me that Kelli was making notes on improv circle. I thought the whole point of improv circle was to let loose and do your thing with no judgement. She was treating it like solos at finals. 

I took adult tap and we had to do improv circle at the end of each class. I hated doing it but every time the song the teacher used comes on in HomeGoods, I find myself tapping to it 🙃

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

You'd think the DCC org would have someone going through the girls social media accounts to weed out the bad ones. Maybe they do but they still pick them anyway for drama.

Totally agree. I think their social media and online presence is looked at thoroughly prior to an invite to training camp. 
It reminds me of the season you could see the "storyline ideas" folder on Kelli's desk during one of her meetings. Ava's social media became a storyline because she wasn't cut and doing well in training camp, so there was some material there to use. Maybe KaShara (or even K&J) didn't know about it until that point, but likely people behind the scenes did. Most of the "drama" we get to see each season is a creation for a TV show.

Edited by StellaCL
spelling
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, rose711 said:

Has it been confirmed here what she was dancing to? If it was on her tik tok as reported and Kelli was saying something to the effect of inappropriate lyrics and being "nasty," I'd bet any money she was doing the dance trend to the song WAP by Cardi B.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, PollyHowell said:

Has it been confirmed here what she was dancing to? If it was on her tik tok as reported and Kelli was saying something to the effect of inappropriate lyrics and being "nasty," I'd bet any money she was doing the dance trend to the song WAP by Cardi B.

Kelli did mention the song lyrics but I think the bigger issue was flipping off the camera. Like I could see some current vets posting a dance video with twerking involved to music with curse words. But could I see any of them giving the middle finger? No. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

It’s the middle finger for me - that stops being edgy after sixth grade if it ever counted at all. And COME ON, none of these ladies ever heard from a teacher or professor or a friend to clean up their social media before interviewing for a job?  I know it should be common sense, but in case any of you lovelies reading this weren’t sure…google yourself before applying for ANYTHING. Go to your social media and scrub it, and even if you’re private, the world can be smaller than you think and a friend might be friends with a future employer or someone who knows that employer. 

If you’re showing off your dance moves and want to keep that up on socials, I get it, but use the censored version of the song. Tho honestly maybe just find one other than WAP 😂😂😂

• Love 9
4 hours ago, evasworld123 said:

Kelli did mention the song lyrics but I think the bigger issue was flipping off the camera. Like I could see some current vets posting a dance video with twerking involved to music with curse words. But could I see any of them giving the middle finger? No. 

I agree. I think if the songs she was dancing to were clean then it wouldn't been as big of a deal. But flipping off the camera is not DCC behavior at all. 

I feel like they bring some of these girls with taboo social media for drama and warnings to future girls. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, evasworld123 said:

LOL if it was WAP, I'm pretty sure the lyrics are the bigger issue than a little birdie. It was a HUGE Tiktok trend but shocking enough to have tons of "shocked parent"' videos. I still say though you don't insinuate a girl is "nasty" on national television just because of a tik tok. Review the social media and discuss prior to offering an invitation into training camp if its such a concern. 

• Love 6

In regards to the Ava issue, and I missed the 1st episode, did they have the 1st nite of camp meeting where Kelli lays out the expectations? Did that social media ‘expert’ dude talk to them?  Also, did they have panel interviews this year?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Trixi said:

In regards to the Ava issue, and I missed the 1st episode, did they have the 1st nite of camp meeting where Kelli lays out the expectations? Did that social media ‘expert’ dude talk to them?  Also, did they have panel interviews this year?

They definitely haven’t had a social media seminar so far this season. I believe instead of full panel interviews there were some virtual interviews with one individual similar to last season.

I understand the argument that she should already know better without explicit instruction from DCC, but she’s also 19.

When I was in college, we took a career prep class. One of the lessons was about social media when applying for jobs. We were told to make all accounts private and still remove any questionable content as some employers know how to get around that. I even removed my last name and just did first and middle.

That being said, if Ava had ever watched the show previously she’s probably seen other TCC’s get in trouble for social media content. Probably would have been better to air on the safe side and remove that stuff. 

Edited by evasworld123
  • Love 8

Ava's inappropriate giggling is a big problem.  I could barely watch.  I wanted to yell, "wipe that smirk off your face"!!  It seems like she finally did once she realized how serious Kelly was taking it.  

Every year I get to the point where I spot a face or two in the rookie class and I still have no idea who they are.  There's a blonde girl in a few shots that I'm certain has never even been named.  Just kidding, but I have no idea who she is.  But I also never saw Lea before this episode.  I loved her dancing!  Curious to see what they'll do with her hair to help make her more "facially gifted" (I'm saying that tongue in cheek).

To me, Klein has that funny/quirky kind of personality that is endearing.  Like how Kat wants to be except she's totally grating instead. 

• Love 6
On 10/9/2021 at 5:37 PM, Tulip86 said:

Both tried out in season 14 of MTT. Tyra was also at finals

I'm sorry, Tyra tried out before and didn't make it to training camp?!? I can't. Truly shocking news to me!

On 10/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, writeme93 said:

It was sad to see Cailey go but even without her injury I'm not sure if she would've made it. She seems like a great girl but she seemed uncomfortable dancing and even talking to the camera. She handled her cut with a lot of grace. Hopefully with some physical therapy and dance classes she can come back stronger.

Lea is a star! I'm excited to see her get more of the DCC look though. Would love to see a segment on her.

It would be hilarious if Tori's segment on being a junior DCC was cut last year and they asked her if they could do it again this season.

Interesting. I found Cailey to be poised and eloquent through all of her talking head moments, even when she was in so much pain after rehearsal, so I did not see the discomfort being on camera. But I totally agree with the rest!

Would love to see a glamorizing Lea makeover! She has an interesting kind of ripple in her otherwise very straight hair that seems to go all the way around her head, about ear-level. Maybe some layers to give some texture and toss to her hair, and some eye makeup magic to help her eyes pop more. Add seeing her makeover to my wishlist with KayDianna and her eyeshadow tutorial.

100% a hilarious and real possibility about Tori. I'd like to think that isn't how it all went down, and that even if producers told her to bring the picture, she got to be genuine about how it felt to come back this year. I don't think the tears were faked, even if the scene was forced. I like Tori way more this year than I did last year. She and Jada looked great dancing next to each other!

• Love 5
23 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Totally agree. I think their social media and online presence is looked at thoroughly prior to an invite to training camp. 
It reminds me of the season you could see the "storyline ideas" folder on Kelli's desk during one of her meetings. Ava's social media became a storyline because she wasn't cut and doing well in training camp, so there was some material there to use. Maybe KaShara (or even K&J) didn't know about it until that point, but likely people behind the scenes did. Most of the "drama" we get to see each season is a creation for a TV show.

With this being season 16 - I think there is Cowboys staff looking at SM of the before , after and during training camp, and should by now have a mention about a SM media check on the application. How would they know what someone's name is on all of the platforms, if it wasn't  given (hopefully freely and voluntarily) and written down somewhere ?

I would also think the candidates would do a review of prior seasons, where Kelli & spies "found" SM content and let a rookie go or made it a teachable moment  (Whitney Islieb). Its almost safer just to shut down all of one's platforms until at least you become a DCC, as soon as you mail off the application.  Find another way to let friends and family know you are ok.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, sATL said:

With this being season 16 - I think there is Cowboys staff looking at SM of the before , after and during training camp, and should by now have a mention about a SM media check on the application. How would they know what someone's name is on all of the platforms, if it wasn't  given (hopefully freely and voluntarily) and written down somewhere ?

The dance community isn’t terribly large…I’m willing to bet most trying out would pop right up with just a few letters of a first name. Look how easily posters here are found! I think most candidates are probably just two degrees away from a DCC or staff member. The algorithms are just so darn strong now. (Yay for me as a retailer, but wooooo it’s weird.) 

• Love 3

Weird that this hour-long episode was named for something that happened in the last 5 mins. 
I love Denise’s drum line routine from few years ago. This one had a lot of booty shaking which I thought Kelli didn’t like.  I remember Angela twerking one year and Kelli expressing her disapproval.  But it was interesting to see how a routine is put together.  And I liked that we got a lot of dancing. 

• Love 8

Why is Judy still on the payroll if they're either using the same routines or having guest choreographers?

On 10/8/2021 at 8:33 PM, sATL said:

Megan Thee Stallion and Rihanna night. Wow... And  Kelli is concerned about a song with questionable moves and cursing?

Speaking of music, the Golden Girls come on afterwards.. " Thank you for being a friend.... "

My thoughts exactly!!!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/9/2021 at 2:15 AM, sATL said:

Cailey: Even though it was sad, and she probably suspected to get cut, I thought she was very mature with her goodbye. She extended her hand and Judy hugged her.

She broke down outside of the office visit. Nice that there was a shoulder to cry on.

If she could dance well enough to get into camp, hopefully she can heal (I guess surgery isn't an option after 3 years) and comeback another season.

Cailey, oh my gosh, yes. My heart goes out to her. Class act. I hope she can gain some physical healing, maybe through a chiropractor or naturopath. She has so much going for her and I'd love to see her try out again.

The shoulder to cry on is a new role for DCC MTT. Who is this person, Megan is her name? I adore the idea of the girls having someone compassionate to walk with them for a few minutes after getting cut.

On 10/9/2021 at 3:27 AM, rose711 said:

I like that they are out in the field and not in the rehearsal studio with mirrors. Dancers can’t get into that habit of following everyone else in the mirror. I like seeing the dances in the field too. 

Does anyone  else have the sense they are taking a different type of approach to these girls mental health this year? They seem to not be wanting to break anyone’s spirit which is an improvement!

That's a great point regarding the mirrors in the rehearsal studio. Now that they're on the field, there's no need for Judy to say, "Ok, face the back," and realize half the girls don't know the routines.

Regarding mental health, I've been meaning to comment on it this whole season. Especially with Kylie's visit with Kelli and Judy (that was last week, right?). I think anxiety has become a huge issue for these young women and I don't remember that being a thing at all to the girls back in 2005-2009. Maybe it's the CMT edit from those years, but I doubt it. I think this issue has become so much worse and I suspect the main reason is social media. So toxic.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:45 AM, evasworld123 said:

People seem not to be sold on Madeline S and I don’t get it! She’s a lovely dancer and reeks of class to me.

I'm a big Madeline S. fan, although I liked her better two years ago. She seemed more of an individual then, more herself. Now it's almost as if she wants it so bad, she has sacrificed some of that intelligent, independent mindset that complimented her drop dead gorgeousness. Now I get the feeling she's like, "Oh, the choreographer liked me!" and "Kelli and Judy know I really want this." Honey, they should want you. You're that good.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:40 AM, evasworld123 said:

I too was so excited about the amount of actual DANCE content in this episode! But as another poster mentioned I miss the round table sessions with the guest choreographers for their feedback on rookies and vets.

Edit: by some miracle the episode is already up on Prime video!

ITA! And Prime Video was quick this past week. I'm just late to the game posting on this episode. So I'm mostly quoting others at this point!

On 10/9/2021 at 8:24 AM, M1977G said:

What is Kelli wearing in the first rehearsal of this episode? She looks like she decided to wear her pandemic lounge wear to work. I mean, on the one hand, I respect it--many of us are embracing more comfortable work wear after working from home for so long, and Kelli is entitled to be comfortable, too. But, on the other, the ruffles and bell bottoms were not flattering. Definitely one of her wardrobe misses this season for me. 

I noticed that too, not up to Kelli's usual standard of glamour. She looks a little less Dallas and a little more Fort Worth.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:26 PM, M1977G said:

Would love to see a glamorizing Lea makeover! 

Yes, bring on the makeovers, please! I want to see Lea's look match her dancing ability. She's growing on me each week.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Grandma Moses said:

The shoulder to cry on is a new role for DCC MTT. Who is this person, Megan is her name? I adore the idea of the girls having someone compassionate to walk with them for a few minutes after getting cut.

I don't think it was Hailey, Charlotte's daughter but a different lady. They showed her name on screen but I can't remember what it was. I think  it was Cheryl who comforted Dayton and Victoria when they were cut.  

18 hours ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

Why is Judy still on the payroll if they're either using the same routines or having guest choreographers?

This gets asked every year and every year the answer is the same.

Her job title should not be "Head Choreographer", it should be "Head of Choreography".

She knows the standard and approves the dances, but she doesn't create. I don't know if she ever did, but we've never seen it. 

Edited by An Offt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

My thoughts exactly!!!!!

Someone has to make the call and the arrangements.

My question is when did Judy stop and start teaching routines - except for the entrance. ?

Or do I have the wrong idea of what a choreographer does, as I do not have  dancing background - I thought they "move and demonstrate" - teach the routine(s), with or without assistance. Like what the guests do.

Then once the routine is taught, then they sit, clean the routine and view for further corrections. Which is what Denise did - pen and paper and all.

while it is commendable that the GL teaches some routines, it shouldn't always have to be their job, to do so. Not everyone is (or wants to be) a teacher.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, sATL said:

Someone has to make the call and the arrangements.

My question is when did Judy stop and start teaching routines - except for the entrance. ?

Or do I have the wrong idea of what a choreographer does, as I do not have  dancing background - I thought they "move and demonstrate" - teach the routine(s), with or without assistance. Like what the guests do.

Then once the routine is taught, then they sit, clean the routine and view for further corrections. Which is what Denise did - pen and paper and all.

while it is commendable that the GL teaches some routines, it shouldn't always have to be their job, to do so. Not everyone is (or wants to be) a teacher.

Choreographer's are the ones that make up the dances (they choreograph the dances, in dance terms). Normally they then teach it to people too. However if you are teaching a dance someone else choreographed/ made up I would call that person a teacher, and then if you are correcting them, maybe a coach, not a choreographer. Hope that helps!

I agree with An Offt that she is more "head of choreography" (picking choreographers, and yaying or naying the routines they choreograph) than a "head choreographer" (the person who choreograhs the bulk of the routines)

(I just wrote the word choreograph more times than I think I have done it in my whole life!)

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

I just want to add that Michelle the staffer seems warm and lovely, and I like how she escorts to the office. I think the TCC probably appreciate her friendliness and affection. 

I also love that Cailey doesn’t have lash extensions. She’s so pretty and approachable too. I sincerely hope she feels better, because I think she would be an amazing DCC. She looks like an adult (some of these TCC look so YOUNG) and she’s just so mature and lovely. I’m so sad for her that she is injured. She’s just delightful and would be a perfect DCC. 

Edited by kalibean
  • Love 9
On 10/9/2021 at 4:45 AM, evasworld123 said:

But did Kelli seriously not remember Madeline had made it to uniform fittings last time in training camp? That ‘so you didn’t make it to this point before’ comment rubbed me the wrong way. Can’t some one in Production just inform Kelli?

It's Kellis passive agressive way of saying your DCC moments are not memorable.  She of course remembers every stinking moment of the other legacy VK's journey!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/8/2021 at 10:32 PM, Mardo2044 said:

I wish I knew what actual song they danced to.  Maybe Im showing my age but I found the booty ijggling and twerking to be a little vulgar.  but that's me!  lol

i love these girls are so young they don't get Kelli's references!  David Lee Ross!

I did too. I didn't like the choreography. Some of it looked like stripper moves to me.

I wonder what Ava said on SM that ticked Kelli off. 

My husband was disappointed the uniform fittings didn't last longer. It's one of his favorite segments. : )

Are they doing makeovers this season?

Wonder if they made a decision not to say "Tonight if going to be your last night" this season. I haven't heard it yet unless I missed it. 

I like Madeline S. and think she's gorgeous. 

Who is the blonde with the longish bob? She is darling and I love her hair. It's nice to see someone with a different hairstyle than the usual long hair extensions. 

However, though the colors stay the same on the uniform, it's dramatically different in style, so the iconic uniform has changed a lot over the years. 

Didn't the shorts used to be a little bigger--less skimpy? I'm thinking of way back in the 70s and 80s. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

David Lee Roth, not Ross.

That just made me feel really OLD. 

On 10/16/2021 at 7:58 AM, Sweet-tea said:

I did too. I didn't like the choreography. Some of it looked like stripper moves to me.

I wonder what Ava said on SM that ticked Kelli off. 

My husband was disappointed the uniform fittings didn't last longer. It's one of his favorite segments. : )

Are they doing makeovers this season?

Wonder if they made a decision not to say "Tonight if going to be your last night" this season. I haven't heard it yet unless I missed it. 

I like Madeline S. and think she's gorgeous. 

Who is the blonde with the longish bob? She is darling and I love her hair. It's nice to see someone with a different hairstyle than the usual long hair extensions. 

Didn't the shorts used to be a little bigger--less skimpy? I'm thinking of way back in the 70s and 80s. 

I think it was around the early to mid 2000s that the shorts got MUCH shorter. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, Tuxcat said:

When Kelli was talking to Kashara she said something along the lines of "it's not an indicator she's a nasty girll waiting to break (freak?) out?" If that's not the right wording, please correct me because I'm not sure (though its what my closed captioning said).

I take issue with this comment. I can see saying unprofessional. I can see saying off-brand. But I think its actually insulting for Kelli to assume that someone is a "nasty girl" because they post certain material. She's 18 and this is national television.

(And all just a little ironic given the original intent when the DCC was formed).

I didn't see the episode, so only going by your quote above, but I didn't read it as Kelli assuming she was a nasty girl, but not wanting to jump to that conclusion. A better way to say it: "I'm hoping this shows a temporary lapse of judgment and is not an indicator of her typical behaviour."

• Love 2