Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Inverting the Pyramid of Success

Kiddvideo
  • Start Topic

It was reassuring to see how many people seem truly loyal and supportive of Ted.

I also hope Trent-Crimm-Independent does well and teams up with Keeley's PR firm. However, I wonder if this will affect Keeley and Roy's relationship. Although -- Keeley and Roy have already weathered storms together and seem to want to put in the effort for a lasting relationship.

Also, since Sassy's a child psychologist, she should counsel Nate-I've-Earned My-Greatness-Look-At-Me-Waaah-Waaah-Pay-Attention-To-Me. He is immature, bitter, and delusional. I do think he is aware that he's jealous of Ted's likeability, and this pushes him over the edge. I have high hopes that Rupert and the new team will soon turn on Nate, because I don't see how his "coaching" a.k.a. bullying will be effective. Also, his exit from the field at the final match contrasted with Ted's exit during the panic attack: Ted hurried off, whereas Nate stomped off.

I hope Will gets more screen time next season.

• Love 16

That was actually a much happier ending to the season than I was expecting! I really through everything BUT the promotion would end in a mess, but for the most part people are okay except for Nate. Possible insecurities for Roy and Keeley and I feel like we're probably gonna see them breaking up at some point, but I *think* they'll be okay in the end. I hope so, at least. Loved Sam realising that his place is with Richmond for now, and that he can do good things there. Loved Rebecca supporting Keeley. Loved Jamie and Roy celebrating after the headbutt. Loved Ted using the situation to start a conversation about mental health in sports.

And I loved the scene with Nate and Ted, Nick Mohammed did a great job there. Nate really is a child - grey hair or not, I still think he's an emotionally immature 20-something who's dealing with a whole lot of pent-up feelings. I hope the picture of their celebration that Ted keeps at home comes up again next season and plays a part in getting through to Nate. Weirdly I have more faith that they'll pull off a redemption arc after seeing this episode, showing how his anger comes from hurt, than I did before. But ripping up the BELIEVE sign was bloody harsh.

Also, they're definitely setting up Richmond to win something big next season, what with the "They're still a club who's never won a major trophy" - I'm not sure I can see them actually winning the Premier League, but I think maybe they'll get revenge in the FA cup.

• Like 1
  • Love 14

Good riddance, Nate.  You're definitely not going to get the validation you want from that narcissistic ass.  Maybe that negative place is more comfortable for you, right now.  Better to be with someone who isn't kind and warm, because then you're not disappointed when you don't get any love out of them.  But I doubt you're over looking for it.

Glad Sam stayed, and that he seems to be coming from such a healthy place with it.  Not explicitly displayed, but an interesting contrast with Nate, on the effect the kind of parental feedback you get has on you, your world view and your sense of self, and therefore the choices you'll make.

I know Roy still has some things to work out, but what I think is the best growth he's had, is being able to work through his feelings and confront them, rather than just react to them, and isolate himself.  I think for the time jumps we got at the end, if there was going to be a problem for them, we would have seen it.  It went well past the six weeks.  

Beard is so interesting in his clear insight into what's going on around him, but not with himself directly.  He can call Nate out, but not Jane.  It makes me sad, what he puts up with in that relationship.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, KSargeTX said:

Also, his exit from the field at the final match contrasted with Ted's exit during the panic attack: Ted hurried off, whereas Nate stomped off.

That scene actually reminded me of when Roy came back because Nate too was wearing all back. And I think for Nate, the moment he felt obsolete was when Roy came back.

I also think Nate's speech to Ted was bullshit. We've seen Ted be insensitive to Nate twice this season - once when he told him that he wasn't the big dog that Isaac needed to talk to (because he's not!) and then when Ted didn't immediately hug him after Jaime made a goal from the middle of the field. He's taken two times from a 10-month season (that's how long google tells me a British soccer season is) and just dwelled on them and got angrier and angrier. And I know in a previous episode we saw where Ted put the photo Nate gave him, but I can't remember where it was or in which episode. Like you're a grown-ass man, how much constant reassurance do you need? 

I wonder, is this the longest/most serious relationship Roy has had? To me, while obviously the vacay was a sweet gesture, IDK, I think it's pretty misguided to spring a six week vacation on someone the day before. Six weeks is a long time, especially when she's just starting her business. Even if the resort has wifi, for me I'm never as productive working from a hotel as I am working from the office (or home office, in my case). So she's either going to have to half-ass her new job or she's going to miss out on most of the vacation even if she's physically there. I definitely don't think this is relationship-ending; they just need to re-calibrate a little based on their new roles. 

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Like 2
  • Love 17
36 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

And I know in a previous episode we saw where Ted put the photo Nate gave him, but I can't remember where it was or in which episode.

It was while Ted was getting ready for the funeral - the picture was right next to Henry's, which is saying something.

Looking back we really haven't seen much genuine interaction between the two of them this season. Ted has had other stuff on his mind and his own issues to work on and figured Nate was ready to fly by himself, but I think he really underestimated what an insecure mess Nate really is underneath it all. Obviously that's no justification for what Nate has done, but I'm actually really liking the shades of grey here (pun on Nate's hair not intended, heh) and I'm looking forward to seeing next season play out.

Also, on a different note - Rupert, for all his declarations of how important Richmond is to him, goes and buys a different club. And not just any club but a local, rival London club. A genuine supporter who actually loved *his* club would never, which is just one more reason to despise him.

• Like 2
  • Love 16

Nate and his whining about not getting constant validation.    Ted was his boss, not his father.   When Nate was junior, he took time to validate him regularly, but when Nate became part of the leadership team, Ted treated him as such.  But Nate still required the constant validation which means he doesn’t really understand anything and isn’t trying…unlike Roy who makes mistakes but acknowledges them snd moves forward.  

I loved, loved, loved Nate confessing that he too kissed Keeley and Roy dismissing it.  Which to Nate, was dismissing him.  

I also wonder if one of Nate’s many problems is that he tries to channel Roy as a way of gaining respect.  He dresses like him now, he kissed his girlfriend and he gets angry and yells like Roy does,… except he gets none of it right.  Roy is never mean spirited.  

Back in the Beard focussed episode, Beard said “I listen more than I speak”.   Nate does the same but with far different results.  

I think Nate will now be channeling Rupert, and we all know this will end in professional disaster because unlike Ted, Rupert has zero loyalty.  

• Love 23

It’s coincidental in a good way that this episode was partially about talking about mental health and sports, considering that Carey Price (star goaltender for hockey’s Montreal Canadians and all-around decent person) is going into the NHL’s player assistance program, even though the reasons are undisclosed.

After Nate stormed off the field and the team went back down to the locker room, I had a sudden feeling that he might have tried to kill himself down there and someone would find him. I was glad to see that not happen!

Pleased that Sam is going to start up a Nigerian restaurant, and that he chose to stay as part of his own personal journey (so he said anyway!).

• Like 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I think the worst thing he did was rip the "Believe" sign.

Same. I felt personally offended.

When Keely told Higgins about the job opportunity, she kind of did a head shake/scream thing and Higgins did it too. I rewound that 5 times and literally lol'd every time. I also laughed so hard when Akufo just went off at the end-that was brilliant-loved the handshake fake out and them him strangling the mannequin. Then I lol'd at the dog breeder loving Keely (I mean, who wouldn't?). Really funny episode while still making me alternatively sad/ragey towards Nate.

I also love Rebecca and Keely's friendship. It is so nice to see strong female friendships without backstabbing, etc. I feel like they are more common than they are ever portrayed on tv. I have a wonderful friend that I met through work and when I changed jobs, we cried like children, even though we still talk everyday, but not having her down the hall is still so sad!

• Like 1
  • Love 20

Holy cow! My loathing for Nate grew more and more with every hateful word he uttered. And the fact that he actually was so petty as to rip down the Believe sign and tear it in half. But I guess that was the ultimate goal - to set him up as the coach for Rupert's team. The new Evil Empire Enemy of S3. 

I will bet you all $100 that Trent ends up being the new PR person to replace Keeley.

Speaking of Keeley. I don't understand why she couldn't do her emails and video calls from whatever sunny villa Roy rented. Practically EVERYONE works remotely these days. At least give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, then you can head back home. Roy was so sweet, proud and supportive in this episode. Especially when the magazine came out and didn't have any of the pics of him in it. And I admired his restraint in letting Jamie speak first and then not murdering him.   

I realize that they're at different points in their careers but I don't want to see them break up. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Roy and Keeley are relationship goals. I want a Roy of my very own.    

• Like 1
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Nate and his whining about not getting constant validation.    Ted was his boss, not his father.  

That's it though isn't it....Nate just gave Ted the speech he'd probably like to and possibly needs to give his own father, but would never be brave enough to give him. 

I absolutely hate that Nate spoke to Ted like that. 1. Because it was complete bullshit and directed at entirely the wrong person. 2. Ted is already dealing with mental health issues and doesn't need someone else's insecurities thrown at him like that. Again, this is something that I feel would have been handled much differently in real life. If I was Beard or Roy I would have given Nate a verbal ass whooping. I don't care that this show thrives on second chances, Nate is pretty much dead to me at this point. 

There were several moments that really made me smile this episode but I think for the finale, I was left kind of unsatisfied. 

• Love 12

Speaking of Keeley. I don't understand why she couldn't do her emails and video calls from whatever sunny villa Roy rented. Practically EVERYONE works remotely these days.

She's in PR - you really must attend events and forge connections and network, network, network and glad hand. And if she's new to the game and building a brand it's doubly important for her, as the face of her business, to be out there, especially starting out. 

Even if it wasn't the six week holiday, they would still have to contend with Keeley building her brand which will keep her busy and Roy would have o figure out what to do with himself during off-season.  Series one he worried that he didn't know who he was without the sport, now he has to figure out who he is when he's not with Keeley.  By how clingy he's been this seems to be Roy's first serious relationship or first serious relationship where he's completely besotted with his partner, so I understand why he's behaving the way he is.  But Keeley gave him some good advice to go alone because he needs some time to himself where he's not being footy player/coach/uncle/boyfriend, but just make space for himself. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 18
1 minute ago, nomodrama said:

There were several moments that really made me smile this episode but I think for the finale, I was left kind of unsatisfied. 

I think the ending was “to be continued “ in some ways was because they had a commitment from Apple for season three and the story was designed for a3season resolution.  

Re Keeley and working remotely….I think that could work with an established business….but when you are getting something off the ground, you can’t just jet back and forth….remember, the pandemic doesn’t exist in this world so race to face is still required.  And it wouldn’t be good for their relationship if Roy was relaxing while Keeley was doing 12 hour days.  

• Like 1
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

And it wouldn’t be good for their relationship if Roy was relaxing while Keeley was doing 12 hour days.

And most likely, there would be a lot of, "Just take one hour off.  You can come right back to it.  Everyone needs a break."  As well meaning as it might have been, it would have been stressful on her, work- and relationship-wise.  I'm glad she felt comfortable enough with herself to be able to say, I need to do this, this way, but you have nothing to worry about.

• Love 11

Very much an “Empire Strikes Back” ending; it was the first movie I ever remember seeing that wasn’t meant to stand alone and clearly indicated “to be continued . . .”  So many things to love:

Jamie giving the penalty kick to Danny.  Even with the puppies, I had forgotten that Danny started the season with the kick of death.  RIP, Earl indeed.

Roy’s one feeling being hurt.  I thought when we jumped past six weeks we would see them again, but son says he never went on the vacation since he left the tickets on her desk.  I love how much they love each other.  I don’t want them to break up.

Ted and Michelle’s text exchange tells you exactly why their marriage was always doomed to fail.  She doesn’t understand him at all.

I need to see Ted get angry and show it as being healthy for him.  I think he is a man who doesn’t think he deserves to enforce his own boundaries.  His going to Nate with “what can I learn” is very in character, but he is also allowed to let Nate know that he is responsible and culpable for his own actions.

I wonder if Trent is going to write a book, maybe even about Ted.  I don’t see Trent as PR, but could see him immersing himself in Richmond’s season.  That will piss off Nate.  

I need Rebecca to get to a point where she finds Rupert as amusing as Sam found what’s-his-name.  I don’t care if that is with Sam or without.

I love that Sam is staying for his own journey.

Beard is a delight.  He needs to enforce his own boundaries with Jane.

• Like 1
  • Love 16

I almost forgot about when Ted and Beard were on the bench and the old man yelled at him…but then added, “do the work and you will be okay”.   He is a lot more respected than he thought and there will be more understanding and acceptance than Nate expected, making Nate even angrier.  

I can’t imagine how Nate will react when Rupert eventually turns on him.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I can’t imagine how Nate will react when Rupert eventually turns on him.

Which shouldn't take long.  If not fully turning on him, then at least letting him know he is not the important one there, and that everything is in service of him (Rupert).  He's essentially working for his father, for as well as he's going to be treated there.

• Love 7

Credit to Nick Mohammed who fully embraced the portrayal of Nate's descent into the Dark Side. I haven't as much fun hating a character since Geoffrey Baratheon. 

That being said I'll be really interested in where they take Nate next season. He may be a strategic wonderkid, but he is a shit coach. He has no people skills. If he doesn't already have a reputation around the league of everything being someone else's fault and stabbing people in the back, he will soon. I think this whole thing will blow up for him and Rupert. 

I hope Rebecca follow her mom's advice and lives her best life instead of focusing on Rupert.

Akufo's tantrum at being told "no" for probably the first time in life was hilarious.

Brentford (the team Richmond tied) and West Ham (the team Rupert bought) played each other last weekend. Brentford won 2-1

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Capricasix said:

It’s coincidental in a good way that this episode was partially about talking about mental health and sports, considering that Carey Price (star goaltender for hockey’s Montreal Canadians and all-around decent person) is going into the NHL’s player assistance program, even though the reasons are undisclosed.

This show has repeatedly tapped into what’s needed before anyone realizes it.  The initial seeds for Ted’s issues were planted in the first season and this season was filmed before the Olympics, but mental health in sport is on the front burner.   Last season it was the feel good hit during year one of the pandemic.  This season it was talking about topical issues right in the middle of them being topical.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Seelouis said:

My absolute favorite moment was after Roy left the diamond dogs meeting and Beard did that “oh my god m, oh my god, oh my god”. Awesome 

Mine too! Best part of the episode. 

Nate was the kit man when Rupert owned the Hounds - if Nate cannot see this train coming at him, he is more hopeless than when we started the show. 

Edited by mledawn
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

The Sky Sports segments are kind of embarrassing. I like Jeff Stelling, I'm not too keen on the meme that Chris Kamara has become, but neither are actors. Also, the idea that a Championship manager having a panic attack would make the back page of the tabloids is kind of funny. The national media barely registers the existence of anything outside the Premier League behemoth.

I loved how Jason Sudeikis played Ted's quiet dignity in this episode. You could see his fragility and the fact that he was hurt, but he was putting on a brave face and you could see it fracturing as the episode progressed.

"It is our choices that show who we truly are." Well, isn't that a truth that we all need to accept? As well as being a double-headed axe into Nate's chest.

Nate is such a small man, in every sense of the word. Of course he didn't have the balls to own up to the leak and then when he does it comes in the form of an entitled whine because Ted spent time helping other people as well as him. He's twisted everything Ted has done for him and for Richmond as an insult to Nate the Great. It just goes to show that, no matter how much you give someone, it won't always be enough.

The costume choices for the players on this show are perfect. Jamie shows up looking like one of the weirder GI Joe figures, and it's absolutely perfect footballer attire. And Dani's silly, proud comment that "my refrigerator has a television" made me laugh out loud.

As did the renaissance painting gag. I love that kind of visual humour.

I like the way they're writing Roy and Keeley (perhaps partly because I'm really not that bothered if they stay together or break up). He's ready to slow down and take it easy but she's just getting started, and that's a real challenge for any couple to navigate. It might work, it might not, but love isn't always going to prevail.

Rupert buying West Ham? Well, that's a match made in heaven. Horrible fans at that club. Nate won't last ten minutes there, but I doubt Rupert will care.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

I also think Nate's speech to Ted was bullshit. We've seen Ted be insensitive to Nate twice this season - once when he told him that he wasn't the big dog that Isaac needed to talk to (because he's not!) and then when Ted didn't immediately hug him after Jaime made a goal from the middle of the field. He's taken two times from a 10-month season (that's how long google tells me a British soccer season is) and just dwelled on them and got angrier and angrier. And I know in a previous episode we saw where Ted put the photo Nate gave him, but I can't remember where it was or in which episode. Like you're a grown-ass man, how much constant reassurance do you need? 

True, but I can see in Nate's mindset of never having validation, then getting it then having it seemingly taken away is unmooring.  It's petty and childish but emotions aren't always rational.  I think it's a tad like how some middle children feel or the good child feels when the squeaky wheel gets all the oil (attention).   Nick Mohammed pointed out that the Ted/Nate confrontation in the finale was the only time they've been alone in a scene this season and looking at it from Nate's eyes the person he looks to (unfairly) for validation has been spending more time 1)trying to pull Roy back into the fold, 2) trying to pull Jamie back into the fold and handle his re-integration with the team) 3) relegation and unbeknownst to Nate mental health issues instead of getting him the pats on the back he desires. Nate put himself in a self-fulfilling prophecy where he felt Ted was alienating him, but the reality was Nate was alienating everyone else. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
19 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

True, but I can see in Nate's mindset of never having validation, then getting it then having it seemingly taken away is unmooring.  It's petty and childish but emotions aren't always rational.  I think it's a tad like how some middle children feel or the good child feels when the squeaky wheel gets all the oil (attention).   Nick Mohammed pointed out that the Ted/Nate confrontation in the finale was the only time they've been alone in a scene this season and looking at it from Nate's eyes the person he looks to (unfairly) for validation has been spending more time 1)trying to pull Roy back into the fold, 2) trying to pull Jamie back into the fold and handle his re-integration with the team) 3) relegation and unbeknownst to Nate mental health issues instead of getting him the pats on the back he desires. Nate put himself in a self-fulfilling prophecy where he felt Ted was alienating him, but the reality was Nate was alienating everyone else. 

IRL, Nick Mohammed, who plays Nate will be 41 in October.  At first I thought the character was supposed to be in his 20s, but now I’m guessing they are similar ages.  Since I understand the job is entry level and would probably go to a young guy like Will, that  means Nate has had decades of cleaning up after the team and stewing over every perceived slight.  He felt he was smarter than everyone but could never understand why he didn’t get rewarded.   And I can see his seething anger and resentment leading, if only unconsciously, leading to the team picking on him.  It is no excuse, but there are some people who just seem to be bulky magnates.  And the bullying lead to more resentment   And on and on.   And yet he never left.    He put up with it for years, probably conditioned to it by his father.

At heart, Nate is a bully himself   He only punches down,  Will, The players once he saw himself as superior.  Never Roy or Beard.    He can’t handle anything negative.  Roy, for all his intensity, works things through and can admit when he is wrong.  Nate insulted Rebecca when he thought she was firing him   He insulted the players and swore at them.  It was only when Rupert raised him another level (in his mind) that Nate felt able to lash out at Ted   I think that whatever Rupert whispered at the funeral directly lead to the leak.   Nate felt a surge of power   He was, I think, trying to get Ted fired   When that didn’t work, he went to work for Rupert… who I am sure he knew well from when Rupert ran Richmond…he was probably Rupert snitch back then.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Capricasix said:

After Nate stormed off the field and the team went back down to the locker room, I had a sudden feeling that he might have tried to kill himself down there and someone would find him. I was glad to see that not happen!

Pleased that Sam is going to start up a Nigerian restaurant, and that he chose to stay as part of his own personal journey (so he said anyway!).

I just realized that I spelled Canadiens wrong 🤦🏽‍♀️😄

• Like 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So was I the only one expecting to see Roy and Jamie hanging out at the resort  having a guys’ vacation a few weeks later?

I could watch a whole season of Roy and Jamie sitting on a beach, trash talking each other.

ETA: I wish there was a way to see this show's outtakes.  I bet there are some amazing ones.

Edited by LADreamr
  • Like 2
  • Love 20
13 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

I could watch a whole season of Roy and Jamie sitting on a beach, trash talking each other.

ETA: I wish there was a way to see this show's outtakes.  I bet there are some amazing ones.

Brett Goldstein was on Seth Meyers show Thursday.  He says he tries to avoid writing Roy/Jamie scenes because they take forever to film because they are always cracking up.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 13
19 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Brett Goldstein was on Seth Meyers show Thursday.  He says he tries to avoid writing Roy/Jamie scenes because they take forever to film because they are always cracking up.  

I know.  That's something I really want to see.

• Love 3

I noticed, in addition to the repeat scene this season of Rebecca dropping a truth bomb on Ted, last season Roy touched the Believe sign in a meaningful way in the finale, and this finale it was the whole team. Who will it be next? 

• Love 5

As much as I love Roy and Keely as a couple, I feel that Keely has a lot of growing to do beyond the days where her worth was tied into her sexuality and which ball player she was with.  In that regard, it wouldn't surprise me if she outgrows Roy.  I'm also very intrigued by Suzy Campbell's clear infatuation with Keely and what will come of it (if anything).

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Even though I felt fairly confident Richmond would get promoted, I still got chills when Sam and Dani scored and I like how they did a close up of Dani's tribute to Earl on his shoes. I'm glad Sam decided to stay and that it was for his own reasons, not because of Rebecca. Sam buying the restaurant at the end was a nice touch. 

I don't necessarily think Ted owed an apology to the team for not telling them about his panic attacks, because that's private information and he was basically forced to address it because of the article, but I do understand why he did and it's very Ted to use the opportunity to talk to the press about the way mental health is perceived. Good will come out of this whole thing, but Ted shouldn't have had to talk about it until he was ready. I'm glad everyone was supportive though. The team, Rebecca, Mae. I laughed when she grabbed the newspaper from the guy at the bar who was like, "I was done anyway." While Trent ratting himself out is a good start, he still owes Ted an apology, IMO, even if Ted doesn't think so. Trent deserved to be locked out of his car.

I almost felt a little bad for Nate because what he told Ted was clearly what he needs to tell his actual father but can't, but honestly, at some point you have to take responsibility for your actions, and he showed no remorse for what he did. Ripping up the "Believe" sign really pissed me off. I think everyone saw Nate going to work for Rupert coming, but that is probably not going to end the way Nate thinks it will. He has some good ideas, but zero people skills and that's going to hurt him in the long run.

I love everyone being so happy for Keeley and her new job. Her friendship with Rebecca is the best, and Higgins had great advice about how a good manager will want you to succeed. Roy being so proud of Keeley was very sweet and so was his hug with Jamie after the game. I laughed when he told the Diamond Dogs about his one "feeling" being hurt. I think Roy is still adjusting to a serious relationship so he's feeling a little uncertain, but I believe he and Keeley will be alright. Maybe he needs a vacation on his own after all the changes he's been through recently while Keeley gets settled in at her new job and they'll be stronger for it.

• Like 1
  • Love 12

While this episode had a lot of great moments (I'm looking at you, Trent Crimm, Independent), Nate tearing into Ted was so terrible and heavy (even though it was incredibly well done, damn) it kind of erases everything else for me.

Beard was right - Ted needs to get mad, for his own sake.  It isn't his responsibility to fix everyone, and he needs to realize that.

I think things would have gotten to this point with Nate no matter what because he expected and felt he was entitled to so much more of Ted than I can make sense of, and nothing Ted could do would ever be enough, he would always have found reasons to feel slighted.  I really have no interest in a redemption arc - not everyone deserves a second chance. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, nomodrama said:

absolutely hate that Nate spoke to Ted like that. 1. Because it was complete bullshit and directed at entirely the wrong person. 2. Ted is already dealing with mental health issues and doesn't need someone else's insecurities thrown at him like that. Again, this is something that I feel would have been handled much differently in real life. If I was Beard or Roy I would have given Nate a verbal ass whooping. I don't care that this show thrives on second chances, Nate is pretty much dead to me at this point. 

Not to mention, the dig about Ted being away from his son, that was a low, low blow. He didn’t have to go there. That was awful. What Nate truly needs is a good kick up the ass. Ugh. But, good on Nick Mohammed for making me hate Nate so much! 😂

• Love 19

Ted’s flinch when Nate mentioned his son made me think he was going to resign when he went into Rebecca’s office.

”You got actual tickets? Does the plane have propellers? Can I smoke?!!?” Oh we laughed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, DEL901 said:

IRL, Nick Mohammed, who plays Nate will be 41 in October.  At first I thought the character was supposed to be in his 20s, but now I’m guessing they are similar ages.

I really wish we knew how old Nate is supposed to be, but I definitely don't think he's supposed to be the same age as Nick Mohammed - Nate's parents celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary this season, and they don't strike me as an out-of-wedlock kind of couple, heh. He read as early-to-mid 20s to me in the first season, and they kept calling him stuff like 'good kid' and 'young man', so until we're outright told differently I'm sticking to that, grey hair or not.

I think it's easy to be harder on Nate than on, say, Jamie or Rebecca, because those two started at the bottom and grew. Like, let's remember that Rebecca spent most of last season literally trying to screw Ted and the whole team over, and we love her. She had Jamie sent away right when he was going to start working for the team, which is likely a large part of why they ended up in the relegation zone. And Jamie, I mean, he was an absolute dick. They both came from a place of hurt, but they grew. And Nate's had a different trajectory, but I think he's in same place of hurt that they were, and he's so in his head feeling abandoned (given that this week was the first time all season that we saw Ted and Nate interact on their own, I can see where that's coming from) that he doesn't realise he's seeing slights where they're not intended. He probably could've used a few sessions with Sharon more than anyone (except maybe Ted).

...Huh. I've genuinely hated Nate all season, but apparently this episode somehow made the whole storyline work for me.

8 hours ago, LADreamr said:

I fully intend to badger the AppleTV twitter account for a gag reel, all year long! I want (need) to see a bunch of wasted footage of Brett and Phil just losing it at each other. I want to see how long it took to shoot "ugleh, ugleh boy".

2 hours ago, Electruck said:

Ted’s flinch when Nate mentioned his son made me think he was going to resign when he went into Rebecca’s office.

Same. I was so relieved when he said "Next season should be fun, right?"

• Love 6