Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yes, Fergus lived with Jenny and Ian during the 20 years.  And though Jamie didn't make it official--giving Fergus his name until he was an adult, Fergus continues to call Jamie and Claire Mi'Lord and Mi'Lady, which I find so endearing.  Just like Wee Ian's "Auntie Claire!"

This is confirmed in book 8.  When Jenny is newly-arrived in Boston she explains to someone who she is (relative to Fergus) by saying that Jamie is Fergus' foster-father but that but that since she had the raising of him that makes her his foster-mother in the Highland way of thinking. So yeah, I assumed Fergus lived with Jenny and Ian after the war but never stopped thinking of Jamie as is father-figure.

Oh. Oh My. Ohhhh Myyyyyyyy.....

Considering how many years they were in France, and that

Jamie's hair was long again by the time we reach the end of the buik

, I don't mind--too much--that he didn't.  Though I would have loved to have seen him cutting his hair, even though

we didn't see him do it in the buik

Actually they weren't in France that long .

They arrived at the end of  1743/ beginning of 1744 . They got married in June 1743 and on their first wedding anniversary Jamie was in the Bastille and Claire was having sex with the king of France. Afterwards they had to leave within 3 months , so at most they were in France for 9 months .

• Love 1

Just saw this tweet:

Outlander Daily ‏@OutlanderDaily 27s27 seconds ago

A couple of our followers in Prague just let us know that Outlander is scheduled to film there September 12-17. We can't wait for more news!

It could still open the same way in the book. They might just shoot all the 1960s stuff together, even if they use different parts for different episodes. So, perhaps they still have time?

Anyway, James Monarski does seem to work, but I liked this guy: https://vimeo.com/136910617. His reading gave Roger that quality that everything is a academic discussion and shows how he has of one foot up in the clouds, too. I guess a lot of it depends on who they cast for Bree though. Roger needs to be believably older than Bree. 

Just so you know what my frame of reference is, I have watched the series many times and then read Book 1. I have not read DIA Book 2. So, I may be all wet.  lol

There are only 13 episodes to cover a lot of serious events that must be addressed for the continuation of the series to make sense. I want to see Jamie's 20 years without Claire, Frank raising Bree, Claire furthering her education, Culloden, Paris and Jamie becoming a good businessman after dealing with his trauma with BJR,  I don't want to be cheated out of any of it.

Maybe one of Ron's surprises is that there will be a season 3 and it will be the second half of DIA.

Or more likely and more disappointing to me, the last two episodes 12 and 13 are like Wentworth and Ransom- a two part finale. 

Epi, 12 Claire travels back to 1946 has Bree and Frank agrees to raise Bree. Meanwhile, back in Scotland Jamie gets one brief scene showing him suffering.

Epi. 13  You see Bree grown and with Roger. Claire has her career.  Frank has met his Maker.  Life goes on for Jaime as he carries his torch. Claire debates returning to Scotland to find her old love. The last scene is the blackout of the Stone travel.

Oh well....on a lighter not, the audition reels that were linked to were both very good. But as a nonreader, I have no idea about Roger's personality. Murniak could be Jamie and Claire's son....built and look like Claire but sounds a lot like Jamie. The blonde Campion was very thoughtful and sweet.  I liked them both.

Culloden, Jamie's 20 years without Claire, Frank&Bree, Claire's career and her return to XVIII Scotland all happen in "Voyager" though :-) from what I've heard Ron Moore sticks to one book/one season formula at least for now.

I would like for season 2 to end the way book 2 ended - Claire's deer in the headlight moment when she realizes that the man she loves but believed to be dead was "out there" all the time."

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. What I understand about DIA is very limited and garnered from comments and posts.

So how does Claire know that Jamie is alive without the book having discussed the raising of Bree etc. I did read how she learns that Jamie is probably alive. I guess my mind works very linear and B should follow A.

Grashka would you mind telling me how DIA opens in the book? I have noticed that posters have wished that the Season 2 would open that way but Ron Moore has said that it won't open as the book does.

I know, I can hear posters saying, read the book now!!

Edited by kariyaki
Fixed quote formatting

Grashka would you mind telling me how DIA opens in the book?  I have noticed that posters have wished that the Season 2 would open that way but Ron Moore has said that it won't open as the book does.  

I am not Grashka, but felt the need to stick my nose in anyway.

Dragonfly In Amber opens basically with Roger in the 1960s. Reverend Wakefield had died. Roger is his adopted son and returned to Iverness to clear out his house. Claire, on a trip to Scotland with Bree, seeks out Roger (who is a historian) to help fill in the gaps of what happened to some of the men under Jamie's command after Culloden. She give the pretense that it's just a historical mystery and she was curious to solve it, but her intention is to tell Bree the truth and wanted to have more information to give Bree. Claire is under the impression Jamie died at Culloden so doesn't ask Roger to look into him. 

I don't know how much you really want to know here, so spoiler tags just in case:

Roger finds there is a headstone of Black Jack Randall's at an old kirk and take Claire and Bree there thinking they'd like to see where Frank's ancestor is buried. Next to it is a headstone with all Jamie's names on it and "beloved husband of Claire". Claire, shocked to find Jamie there, ends up telling Bree and Roger about going through the stones and that Jamie is Bree's father. So, the beginning of the series where Claire says if she had it to do all over again, she wouldn't do it differently is Claire telling her story to Roger and Bree. The book then picks up where we left at the end of book one, in the past with Claire and Jamie trying to stop Culloden from happening. Of course, it does and Claire returns to her time thinking Jamie is dead. The end of Dragonfly in Amber is Claire learning that Jamie did not die at Culloden and could still be alive, so to speak.

So, it's not till Voyager that we learn a lot of what happened to Claire and Jamie during the 20 years they were separated. And it's in Voyager that Jamie and Claire are reunited. 

ETA: Just realized this wasn't a Book Talk thread, so put it all under spoiler tags

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Thank you so much Dittydotdot.  You told me exactly what I wanted to know.  I even read the spoiler tag.  

There is some dark irony of Jamie being buried near BJR.  I realize that it is a way for Claire to stumble on his stone but think that Jamie would have preferred to be in his family plot in Lallybroch. 

So, now I need to mull over just how Ron intends to open Season 2.    Thanks again.

Regarding Jamie "being buried" near BJR

as I recall -- after blowing away the cobwebs in my brain -- Frank puts that headstone there, so that's why it's so close to BJR. I'm not sure why he did that, other than maybe to deter Claire and Bree from going back to find Jamie.

Regarding Jamie "being buried" near BJR

as I recall -- after blowing away the cobwebs in my brain -- Frank puts that headstone there, so that's why it's so close to BJR. I'm not sure why he did that, other than maybe to deter Claire and Bree from going back to find Jamie.

Actually, the opposite. 

Frank puts it there thinking that if Claire or Bree go looking they'll find it and know that it's not right because it's far to new to be in that kirk yard. If they are interested, he figures that will pique their interest enough to dig further. Frank didn't believe Claire when she first came back through the stones. He started doing his own research so as to prove she was wrong, but found that my not be the case. But his own jealousy of Jamie and his fear that Claire would one day find out and leave him--and possibly take Bree with her--kept him from saying anything to her. He put up the headstones more out of his own guilt than anything.  

Edited by DittyDotDot

Let me just first say that I love reliving the book through other peoples eyes. I re-read the series during season 1 and I really don't feel like reading anything else lol.

I would like for season 2 to end the way book 2 ended - Claire's deer in the headlights moment when she realizes that the man she loves but believed to be dead was "out there" all the time.

I am pretty much up for any opening, whether it's true to the books or not, but I think it would be a huge mistake if they don't close the season like this. Such a terrific cliffhanger that promises so much for a third season but doesn't leave you wondering if the characters you love are dead or not (yes, taking into account time travel and alternate time lines).

• Love 3

Such a terrific cliffhanger that promises so much for a third season but doesn't leave you wondering if the characters you love are dead or not (yes, taking into account time travel and alternate time lines).

Agree, but oh the heartbreak of waiting a WHOLE year for them to be reunited!  I can barely stand this Droughlander and they sailed off into the sunset together (literally!)

I haven't read DIA yet, waiting for it to arrive.  Some of it takes place in Boston?  That's where I live AND I do extra/background work for movies filming locally...could I even allow myself to think they would film the Boston scenes on location and I was hired to be an extra??  I can't even.....:)  

• Love 2

0:35 - Claire cradling either Mary or Fergus?

Fairly certain that's Fergus. Which means they're probably "going there".

So excited to see young Fergus.

Also, I'm kind of amazed we got a glimpse of what I think is The Red Dress. It's a high angle shot, but still. I thought they'd keep that one under wraps. Makes you wonder how much input the producers might have over what gets shown.

One of my favorite moments is towards the end when it looks like Jamie is watching his soldiers train. It's a sign of his growing leadership and protection, which is a huge hallmark of the series.

An exciting 25 days to come (on top of the usual Christmas/Advent awesomeness).

• Love 2

OMG!

It's already Xmas, over here!

I'm so excited about Paris and pregnant Claire. The parties, the dresses, the battles and all the heartache that comes with the second book. And JAMMF!!!! of course. 

Anyone knows title of the song playing in the background?

I think it's a song called "Dear God" -- ironically -- by XTC. Only it's a cover, not the original. Sara McLachlan did a cover, but it's not that one. I think it's a version that's not released which has been used as background music for different trailers, including the end of the "Spotlight" trailer and a trailer for this TV show, "Dominion."

Dominion

http://tvline.com/2015/05/28/dominion-season-2-trailer-video-michael-gabriel-war/

Spotlight

I read on facebook that the red dress in the trailer isn't "THE red dress"  Supposedly they are still keeping that under wraps for now.  I, for one, would prefer to wait and see it for the first time in the actual episode. 

I read on facebook that the red dress in the trailer isn't "THE red dress"  Supposedly they are still keeping that under wraps for now.  I, for one, would prefer to wait and see it for the first time in the actual episode.

Good deal. But that's a lot of different reddish dresses. Maybe they're teasing us.

including the end of the "Spotlight" trailer

Slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to note, I highly recommend "Spotlight". It's sooooo good. It's like "All the President's Men", but with more at stake. I very rarely go to movies these days, and I've seen it twice. Good flick. 

Regarding the trailer (squeeeee!)

0:23 Jamie is sword fighting but I'm betting his bearded opponent is Murtagh and they are just training.

0:27 There is a wee glimpse of Rupert and Angus.  Bless!

0:30 OMG that hat, that dress, and Jamie in a kilt with a French overcoat.  Swoon!

I'm verra happy.

• Love 2

There is slowed down version on YouTube, sorry can't link from phone.

Looks like Jamie practicing dueling with Murtagh and Claire holding/comforting Mary.

Also Angus and Murtagh in battle with Red Coats, Prestopans?

I hope they re-cast Laoghaire for Season 3 with an older, heavier actress and then slap a dark wig on Nell Hudson and let her play Marsali, Laoghaire's eldest daughter.  Nell deserves to play a popular character after being roundly despised by most Outlander fans for an entire season.  And of course the casting of an actor in a dual role is kind of an Outlander thing.

As for Laoghaire showing up in DIA -- as Black Jack would say, "That's interesting."  Hmmmm.  What if Laoghaire ends up at the battle of Prestonpans as a camp follower -- supporting a new husband?  Maybe not -- Claire is the only woman in Jamie's band and she's only there (officially) because she's a healer, which Laoghaire is not.  The real reason Claire goes along with the fighters is that she simply won't be separated from Jamie.  I don't think Laoghaire ends up in a similar love-match, given how turned off she is to sex by the time Jamie marries her so it seem unlikely that she follows her new husband to war out of love.  So maybe her new husband is one of Dougal's men and he will bring her along to Edinburgh to tend to "womanly" things (like doing their laundry.)  Yeah, that'd work.

Edited by WatchrTina

It could be that she ends up marrying one of Lord Lovat's men and sees Jamie and Claire when they go to visit Jamie's grandfather. That might actually make sense when she does crop up in S3 when she's living on Fraser lands.

Or, it could just be a flashback of some sort?

Who knows? I was actually shocked Laoghaire cropped back up when reading Voyager. Perhaps they are wanting to keep her fresh in the viewers minds, but perhaps this is a mistake? It might take some of the punch out of what happens later?