Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Well then that suggests that they are going to show Claire's return ported over from Voyager. Which is a major change because Frank isn't in DIA except in a brief memory scene. My guess, is that they're going to do a Both Sides Now, Part Deux, flashing forward to Claire's return, Frank's anguish and a bit of the Reverend and wee Roger thrown in as Claire begins to adjust to life in the 20th century, while simultaneously telling the story leading up to Culloden - terrific [insert 'tooth-sucking side eye'].

So far, Moore & Co. have said nothing to suggest they are going to include anything from the 1960's. In fact, he & Diana both keep saying that "there are going to be a lot of changes" from the book, so that might be code for a major plot is going to be dropped. It would explain why they haven't cast Bree & adult Roger yet.

Ah, well, I still have pretty clothes and pretty guys to look at and hopefully, a lot of humor along the way (like the red dress scene, which apparently has been filmed).

I've been wondering how they would keep the Team Frank viewers from bailing right away (the ones who haven't bailed already), and if Moore is really leaving out the 1960s stuff, I'd have to do a little evil laugh about the cleverness of it all. Way to milk the "triangle" for another season! What if the "framing device" is just seeing Claire back in the 1940s between cutting to her 1740s life? That way, it would give Tobias a lot more to do, which seems like something Ron Moore would do, given S1.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

I've been wondering how they would keep the Team Frank viewers from bailing right away (the ones who haven't bailed already), and seasonore is really leaving out the 1960s stuff, I'd have to do a little evil laugh about the cleverness of it all. Way to milk the "triangle" for another season! What if the "framing device" is just seeing Claire back in the 1940s between cutting to her 1740s life? That way, it would give Tobias a lot more to do, which seems like something Ron Moore would do, given S1.

I think this is exactly what they are going to do. Maybe a little 1960's at the end. I wonder if we will get Frank's death in this season even.

Wasn't it said that there would be more of Frank than was in the book? If Frank is not in the book, 5 minutes of Frank would be more than what was in the book. I'm not going to freak out about it because there's nothing to indicate that Frank is going to be a major player in Season 2 except assumptions. You would think if he was a major player, Tobias would have been on the panel at Comic Con.

• Love 3

It will be telling if Tobias Menzies is in the entertainment news having been signed to another project. 

BTW just watching  Both Sides Now  and the scene where the housekeeper tells Frank about the stones.  Frank gives the most BJR sneer of contempt

to her. "Where or when would that be".  Excellent actor but even to me the Frank character is not endearing even in his loss and suffering.

BJR does make a  good foil for Jamie.  So I am torn about wanting to see the character again.

• Love 1

Well she did jokingly say that they haven't liked anything she has written so far (and no one laughed) so....

So that's what she said. Like I said, the sound quality wasn't very good; but I did catch Sam's "the whole thing's rigged" about the drinking game, which made me snicker.

• Love 2

Why would anyone be concerned about an episode that DG would write? She herself left BJR on the shelf during DIA.

It is hard to deny that she is an accomplished writer amongst other careers and loves her characters.

Btw on the panel I heard her say that so far everyone seems to like her attempt at episode writing. As she said this, she looked and motioned to the end of the dias toward Maril and Ron. Then again, I could have heard it wrong.

In an interview she Saud that she is,writing episode eleven. Wonder if that will be of the Papolonia? Battle that Sam mentioned.

Why would anyone be concerned about an episode that DG would write? She herself left BJR on the shelf during DIA.

I don't know if you have read the books or not, but if you haven't, without spoiling you, I will say, for me, DG is not a very good writer, but the story she has told and the characters she has created are good, if that makes sense. She tends to write overly descriptive stuff, and the words and phrases she uses, I think someone here said could be described as "purple prose" and I'm not a fan. She's in desperate need of an aggressive copy editor.  And since I'm not a fan of her writing style, I'm hoping, when it comes to the script, there is someone who can edit it properly.

But that's just me.

(edited)

So that's what she said. Like I said, the sound quality wasn't very good; but I did catch Sam's "the whole thing's rigged" about the drinking game, which made me snicker.

Actually, Starz has released the video to YouTube and the sound is MUCH better and cypfan is right, she actually said that so far everyone likes what she's done.   I wonder if it's going to be the episode with the wedding of Mary & Alex?  Screenwriting and novels are two entirely different disciplines and I would be intimidated if I had to write my first screenplay in such a high profile situation.  But you have Ron and a very competent writing staff to help her so I'm sure it will be fine - although I will be surprised if she gets sole writing credit.

Edited by chocolatetruffle

Actually, Starz has released the video to YouTube and the sound is MUCH better and cypfan is right, she actually said that so far everyone likes what she's done.   wonder if it's going to be the episode with the wedding of Mary & Alex.  Screenwriting and novels are two entirely different disciplines and I would be intimidated if I had to write my first screenplay in such a high profile situation.  But you have Ron and a very competent writing staff to help her so I'm sure it will be fine - although I will be surprised if she gets sole writing credit.

Thanks chocolatetruffle! Will definitely check it out.

As for my worries, well, and I don't mean to compare, and it's really unfair to do so since I've never read any of his books, but the author of Game of Thrones has written several episodes for the show, and has gotten sole credit. Now I don't know if he's a good writer or not, as I don't read the books.

But I'm not really agonizing over it, because as you say, there is a competent and talented writing staff on hand.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks GHScorpiosRule. During the day I am here while using my Kindle. Tough and tediously slow for me to type and edit. So please don't confuse my brevity as cuteness.

Since you like her story and characters, it is "only" her prose that you find less than stellar. Personally, writing style to me is the most important because it determines,whether or not I finish the book.

I love to listen to DG speak because she speaks in paragraphs rather than phrases or sentences.

I recently bought book one but haven't read it yet.

So much for brevity from me. Lol

Edited by cypfan

Thanks GHScorpiosRule. During the day I am here while using my Kindle. Tough and tediously slow for me to type and edit. So please don't confuse my brevity as cuteness.

Since you like her story and characters, it is "only" her prose that you find less than stellar. Personally, writing style to me is the most important because it determines,whether or not I go isdn the book. I love to listen to DG speak not sure yet about reading her.

I recently bought book one but haven't read it yet.

So much for brevity from me. Lol

No worries.  And I know what you mean, which is why, after I finish each book, I say it's such an oxymoron, loving the story and characters, but bitching about DG's writing style!  It also helps that I decided to read them again after 12 years, after watching this show. It was Sam and Cait's performances that cinched it for me.  And now I am forcing myself to get through the writing I don't like...because the last one I just finished, Book Five, the ending was just so satisfying to me, with the characters and emotional beats.

I actually am glad she is writing an episode. I like her writing style,(agree about needing an editor though) and adore the characters and relationships. I just don't care for her public persona. Maybe she will do the Lallybroch scenes? I feel like those would be cut along with the whole Lovat trip but who knows what they think.  For me having her write Jamie character moments would be ideal but can't think of any juicy ones for possible episode 11.

• Love 1

GH---- your comment about the ending of book 5 brings a warm tear to my eyes. Like Summer and others have posted, we non bookreaders have,anxiety about the futures of our "couple".

Rewatched Devil's Mark today. To think that that kind of selfless love on Jamie's part will be rewarded with a 20 year separation seems more like a Greek tragedy figure.

• Love 1
(edited)

cypfan

I will only say 20 years apart is not what you think it means and leave it at that.

And I am shocked, but happily so, at the emotions and feelings going through me by the time I finished reading Book five.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

The scripts for last season used a lot of DG's dialog from the book. I would imagine the script she writes will use a lot of dialog from DIA. I know there's more than dialog but I don't think her prose will really be noticable in the script as that is not we will see on tv. It may drive the set designers a bit crazy (judging by the discussion that went with the inclusion of the gravestone in that scene in "Lallybroch") but it's not going to add more to what the actors are saying.

• Love 2

Okay, just saw the Starz version of the panel, and I don't know what it is, the way she talks, the looking over...DG just skeeves me out and gives me the heebie jeebies.

And what was that crack about if she ever saw Sam in breeches again, it would be too soon? Eh? Was it something similar to how she found him grotesque? If so, seriously? You're going to say that in front of a lot of people. I heard crickets after that crack.

And Sam is such a good sport, willing to have they eyeliner and wearing the jacket--Please, don't let Kristen ever host another Outlander panel again.

What I really loved, was hearing Cait talk--I could hear the Irish! Not very strong, but it came out, especially when she was talking about how she and Sam both have the temperaments of five year olds when on set.

And I loved Sam getting into Jamie's character.

And I found Ron to be so funny and enjoyable.

• Love 1
(edited)

In fairness to Diana, someone on the panel quoted her as having said something about Sam's trousers and she corrected the quote. It's clear to me that the STARZ PR folks love it when Diana says something even slightly risqué and they milk it for all its worth.

Edited by WatchrTina
(edited)

I actually am glad she is writing an episode. I like her writing style,(agree about needing an editor though) and adore the characters and relationships. I just don't care for her public persona. Maybe she will do the Lallybroch scenes? I feel like those would be cut along with the whole Lovat trip but who knows what they think.  For me having her write Jamie character moments would be ideal but can't think of any juicy ones for possible episode 11.

At one point in her career, DG wrote screenplays for Scrooge McDuck. While I know that's a different genre, I think the skills are transferable -- both are episodic, rely on dialogue and scene blocking, etc. I have leveled some pretty harsh criticism at DG's writing, but I do think she has a gift for dialogue that will serve her well in writing an episode. One of my frustrations with the books is that every now and then I read a genuinely lovely description or come across a moving metaphor and think, If only the books were better edited, those moments would stand out more. Still, it would take a pretty brave editor to tell a writer whose books have sold 20,000,000 copies that she's wordy and that excising a couple hundred pages would make her books vastly better. I am an editor and even thinking about it makes me break out in hives. The things that keep me coming back to the books are the characters, the dialogue, the occasional lovely turn of phrase, and the often touching moments between characters. I do a lot of hand waving at the holes in the plot -- I think Moore has eliminated some of these -- but they don't keep me from returning.

I think Ron Moore is similar to Josh Weedon in having put together a team that he trusts and that trusts him enough to follow him from project to project. To me, he's like a manager who is confident enough in his own abilities to surround himself with talent and listen to his employees without feeling threatened. Much as DG's arrogance bugs me, I think she responds to that quality in a person she respects, and she clearly respects Moore. From the stuff I've read, his writers' room is a sort of orderly free-for-all where people get to express their opinions knowing they will get a fair hearing even if their ideas are not adopted. This kind of collaboration will be new to DG, but I think she is intrigued by the way good television works. I have confidence that the episode she writes will be good.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 2

Okay, just saw the Starz version of the panel, and I don't know what it is, the way she talks, the looking over...DG just skeeves me out and gives me the heebie jeebies.

And what was that crack about if she ever saw Sam in breeches again, it would be too soon? Eh? Was it something similar to how she found him grotesque? If so, seriously? You're going to say that in front of a lot of people. I heard crickets after that crack.

And Sam is such a good sport, willing to have they eyeliner and wearing the jacket--Please, don't let Kristen ever host another Outlander panel again.

What I really loved, was hearing Cait talk--I could hear the Irish! Not very strong, but it came out, especially when she was talking about how she and Sam both have the temperaments of five year olds when on set.

And I loved Sam getting into Jamie's character.

And I found Ron to be so funny and enjoyable.

Agree to every single point, GHScorpiosrule!  The first time I heard DG talk I thought she had laryngitis but her voice sounds like that all the time.  And, yes, as with the "Sam is grotesque" comment she tried to be funny with the trouser comment and it completely bombed.  

I really love Ron.  He just seems like a such a gentle, calm man, I bet the cast loves working with him.  

I know i'm projecting(if that is the right word) too much as I get so embarrassed for the actors as they are subjected to so many inane questions and schtick at these panels but then I realize these guys are actors. They know it's part of the business to promote their work and I'm sure they know what they are getting themselves into at these events.  And I'm sure Sam and Catriona thank their lucky starz (Ha! see what I did there?) for the big break they got by being cast on Outlander and will do whatever it takes to keep the show on the air and their jobs.  

• Love 4

AheadofStraight-The only thing I've found that is still available is on Twitter thru @murtaghsmaidens and it's just a split second shot of Murtagh kissing a woman.  Any other video that was available seems to be gone  :(

• Love 1

Executive Producer Maril Davis tweeted that she was trying to get the preview reel posted to the net.  

Hope she gets it. I am thinking that it may be Sony's decision.  I understand the desire to keep it under wraps to be used closer to the Season 2 opening for PR purposes.  

However, I think, they are short sighted by treating Outlander fans like other series fans.  A good percentage of the fans ( wonder how many) already know the plot.

Besides, I watched the video several times when it was online. I tried pausing to understand what I was seeing. It was edited in split second frames.

With the possible exception of Jamie and Claire having sex-  lol - I couldn't make out much. 

(edited)

With the possible exception of Jamie and Claire having sex-  lol - I couldn't make out much.

I was able to pick up quite a bit. I think some of that comes from staring at moving ceiling fans as a kid and trying to see the individual fins (that's what I'll call them). If I stare, I'm able to retain individual images a bit. My favorite moment was what I think was wee Fergus doing a deep bow. Some other shots I think I recall: I'm fairly sure we saw a Louis shot in there (could have been Charles, but the pose made me guess Louis - but maybe that was Charles looking at Louise, definitely a guy in a wig looking kind of enraptured), that early shot of Claire looking in pain (whether physical or not), St. Germain looking crafty, Paris party scenes, two people running down the streets at night, Bouton walking spiritedly on the ground (that dog is so cute), 2 different shots of Claire in 20th century dress, Jamie stabbing downward without and with blood (PTSD/dream-related?), Murtagh kissing a woman, the Reverend looking concerned, wee Roger with his toy plane, a couple shots of Frank. Obviously the duel, but I couldn't make out the other guy, other than he had looked to have brown hair tied back - definitely in a garden though; Jamie's hair is kind of short, but I imagined shorter in that particular duel scene in the book. So perhaps this is a flashback duel over Annalise. Jamie looked kind of enraged in the duel, so maybe this is super-jealous younger Jamie. Oh yeah, and the sex. I know I'm forgetting a bunch of shots, and I may have mis-remembered some of that. I'm surprised I don't remember more specifically of Jamie, but I must have been trying to pick up as many contextual hints as possible. 

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 2

Wow Dust Bunny,,,I am thinking that I should have spent some serious time staring at the ceiling fan.  haha

The things you posted jog my memory a bit.  The one pic of jamie stunned me and seemed to last for a long time.  His face looked so big and covered in blood and a dagger in hand??  Oh well so many of the flashes were just that random snapshots.

I think, if the reel is released, the boards will explode with speculation. good times,,,,,,,,,,,,,

(edited)

the Facebook page for the Caitriona fan page has a rough slow-mo of the promo, unless that too has been removed. You have to ask to join though. Caitrionation is the name.

edited ***  Yeah :(  it's gone and I only watched it twice :(

sorry guys

Edited by Liser78
(edited)

outlandertvnews.com        Has a post dated July 13th of a detailed list of the flash scenes in the trailer for Season 2.  

Edited by cypfan
  • Love 1

the last one I just finished, Book Five, the ending was just so satisfying to me, with the characters and emotional beats.

Is there a list online someplace with the book numbers as well as titles?  I have not read the books, do not mind spoilers at all, but can't tell what "Book Five" is within the web of novels and little publications about these characters.  Thanks! 

Is there a list online someplace with the book numbers as well as titles?  I have not read the books, do not mind spoilers at all, but can't tell what "Book Five" is within the web of novels and little publications about these characters.  Thanks! 

Here is a list from Gabaldon's website.

All of the book threads in this forum have the book number and their book title.

I'm sorry jjj; I was being lazy and should have spelled out "Book Five-The Fiery Cross" in my last post!

I'm sorry jjj; I was being lazy and should have spelled out "Book Five-The Fiery Cross" in my last post!

No, *my* apologies!  I can see there is a very complex and developed web of books and conversations!  Had no idea this all existed, and unfortunately do not have time to read the books at this point.  Having the list of books (more than I thought!) is very helpful! 

Some photos were posted of filming from Season 2 that have a major SPOILER in them for people who haven't read the books, especially Dragonfly in Amber onward. So, just keep that in mind if you choose to view them.

https://samcaitlife.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/new-pic-of-sam-filming-outlander-s2-today-8-18-15/

Oh. Oh My. Ohhhh Myyyyyyyy.....

So he's not going to cut his hair?

Considering how many years they were in France, and that

Jamie's hair was long again by the time we reach the end of the buik

, I don't mind--too much--that he didn't.  Though I would have loved to have seen him cutting his hair, even though

we didn't see him do it in the buik

• Love 1

I've expressed a wish before that we would get to see him cut his hair for real, on camera, at that dramatic moment.  And THEN (in my personal fantasy) he could go back to the look from episode 1, which I still say was his hottest look ever.  But I never thought it would happen because, as someone already mentioned, that would create continuity hell.

But wouldn't it have been GREAT?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 8

The can't have him cut his hair, because it took almost 2 years for Sam to grow it to its current length. It couldn't be done because of continuity and I'm glad they're not using a wig instead.

• Love 4

Spoiler question from future books:

I can't remember. Where does Fergus live while his adoptive parents -- Claire is in the future and Jamie is in a cave or is an "indentured servant."

It's been awhile since I read the books, but I'm pretty sure Fergus is living in and around Lallybroch with Jenny as another adoptive mother figure to him.

• Love 1

Well, I'm reading that right now and I assumed he stayed with Jamie's sister at Lallybroch. That's where he was when Jamie was arrested anyway. Fergus often took messages and supplies to Jamie in the cave. That's how he was made a "man of leisure".

I'm not 100 percent sure of where he was while Jamie was in prison and then at Helwater--I don't remember him being mentioned specifically then. I just assumed he stayed with Jenny, though..

Edited by DittyDotDot