Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 01/01/2019 at 10:12 AM, ruby24 said:

I saw a still from the season finale and it does indeed look like Roger will be trapped in the Indian camp for the rest of the season.

I assume the finale will be Ian volunteering to swap for Roger and the associated drama.

• Love 2

Here's a recap of the last episode and a general discussion of the season and what's ahead led by Lynette Rice of Entertainment Weekly. It includes portions of three interviews with Toni Graphia, Richard Rankin, and Sophie Skelton (which is a bit hard to understand because she's speaking with her normal accent on speaker phone). Some book spoilers are included. 

Edited by Nidratime

The following is over an hour long. I've listened to about 17 minutes of it and it's interesting. I'll place it here because I have no ideas if spoilers will be mentioned, but certainly the books will. (Okay, getting to the part where she talks about how she started writing novels. Can skip that.)

Diana Gabaldon, award-winning author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Outlander novels, made a special appearance at the Queen Creek Library, Maricopa County Library District, on Saturday, January 26, 2019.

Edited by Nidratime
On 1/16/2019 at 2:45 PM, toolazy said:

I was hoping that they would have dispensed with the priest.

I suspect this French speaking priest was originally from Quebec. Someone posted a google map type image showing on contemporary highways a route from Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina to Shadow Lake on or near the shore of Lake Huron in western New York, and the French speaking areas of Quebec are right across the Lake. And I seem to recall some mention of that name in one of the Lord John novellas set in that area (I could easily be wrong but it would take time to check that.)

I don't think there are any spoilers in this interview, but I'll just be careful here in case people are super sensitive.

The following is a interview by Lynette Rice of EW with Toni Graphia and Maril Davis after the end of this season, anticipating the next.

It's on Facebook, which I do not use.

Maybe I tried to post this back in March above? But in any event, I don't see anything about these two actors who've been cast in Season 5 in feature roles. I'm putting it in the spoilers area since there's speculation on who they play, which obviously reveals some of the plot for the season.

http://www.outlanderlocations.com/news/new-cast-member-mark-barrett-joins-outlander/

http://www.outlanderlocations.com/news/leonard-cook-joins-outlander-in-featured-role/

On 9/13/2019 at 8:58 AM, Nidratime said:

Maybe I tried to post this back in March above? But in any event, I don't see anything about these two actors who've been cast in Season 5 in feature roles. I'm putting it in the spoilers area since there's speculation on who they play, which obviously reveals some of the plot for the season.

http://www.outlanderlocations.com/news/new-cast-member-mark-barrett-joins-outlander/

http://www.outlanderlocations.com/news/leonard-cook-joins-outlander-in-featured-role/

My incredibly uninformed guesses are Buck for the first one and one of the Browns for the second.  But who the heck knows?

5th season trailer released -- I'm guessing because the Outlander gang was at New York's Comic Con this weekend. Putting it in the spoiler section in case there are people who don't want to know anything.

• Love 3

49328719_Outlanderseason5.thumb.jpg.76922b209789492ff5425faac0f58eae.jpg

Outlander first look: Wedding bells will ring on Fraser's Ridge

Reading between the lines of this EW overview, one might think the show is wisely scrapping the neverending day at the clan gathering.  The interview definitely makes it sound like Murtagh-Jocasta is not a one-off, which may be very interesting given the opposing places each character is coming from and how very insistent everybody involved has been that Murtagh is not a Duncan Innes replacement.

• Love 2

I don't know where this goes...Just watched a 15-or-so-minute clip showing a yule log burning in a fireplace, with reminders that a sneak peak for the next season will be on Sunday at 8 p.m.  I think it's a short preview, maybe 6 minutes or so.

6 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I don't know where this goes...Just watched a 15-or-so-minute clip showing a yule log burning in a fireplace, with reminders that a sneak peak for the next season will be on Sunday at 8 p.m.  I think it's a short preview, maybe 6 minutes or so.

Can you provide the link?

Googling produced this, which confirms that we will be seeing the first four minutes of the new season in a preview at 8 p.m. Eastern time Dec. 15 (Sunday).  Since I'm not paying for Starz until the show starts up again, I assume it will be showing up on Youtube sometime shortly after that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just saw the 5 minute preview of Season 5, and I thought it was awesome.  Very nicely filmed, of the quality that I so enjoyed in seasons 1 and 2. We'll see if that holds up.  The first bit is a much younger Murtagh promising Jamie he will always follow him, right after Jamie's mother, Ellen, has died.  The second bit was Jamie shaving Roger (I'm guessing in preparation for his wedding to Brianna) and it was quite humourous. 

Made me very excited for Season 5.

• Love 2

I wonder if there's any way the writers would consider writing out Brianna and Roger altogether, just sending them back to the present permanently.

I know it's a big change, but...I wonder how many people would really object.

15 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I wonder if there's any way the writers would consider writing out Brianna and Roger altogether, just sending them back to the present permanently.

I know it's a big change, but...I wonder how many people would really object.

I would.  I'm one who enjoys having the full cast of characters tell the story. In fact, I've been rewatching Season 3 and enjoying Brianna and Roger's performances all over again. 

• Love 1
On 12/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, nodorothyparker said:

371541171_outlanderpromo2020.thumb.jpg.36d7dfd6f314c62fbb596157f7f56cf4.jpg

Promo image on Outlander FB page.

I wonder if that's the cross they're going to burn and I wonder if its elaborate design is intended to reduce the ick factor of the burning cross.  

15 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I wonder if that's the cross they're going to burn and I wonder if its elaborate design is intended to reduce the ick factor of the burning cross.  

It's a Celtic Cross. 

I suspect many viewers will have trouble with that part of the story.  Maybe they'll give Jamie a bit of a monologue to make the tradition and its meaning very clear, even to those who have not read the book.

Um, what?

David Berry a.k.a. Lord John Grey Says Goodbye to Outlander

Actor David Berry, who portrayed the Englishman on the series, confirmed his departure from the show on Instagram over the weekend, ahead of his final episode, "Journeycake."

"Don't like goodbyes, tears or sighs," he cryptically captioned the photo.

In the comments, he elaborated further. When a fan asked, "Oh no! Now I’m worried! I hope you only mean 'goodbye' for this season and not that you are leaving the show 😢," he answered concretely: "final ep on show. But 'life is long. Perhaps someday'❤️" quoting his character on the show.

16 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Actor David Berry, who portrayed the Englishman on the series, confirmed his departure from the show on Instagram over the weekend, ahead of his final episode, "Journeycake."

"Don't like goodbyes, tears or sighs," he cryptically captioned the photo.

In the comments, he elaborated further. When a fan asked, "Oh no! Now I’m worried! I hope you only mean 'goodbye' for this season and not that you are leaving the show 😢," he answered concretely: "final ep on show. But 'life is long. Perhaps someday'❤️" quoting his character on the show.

This is weird.  He kinda has a big plot point coming up.  Do they plan on doing away with all of that altogether?  I'm not a huge LJG fan, but David Berry IS LJG! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

hat basically kills major storylines in Books 7 and 8. Ummm....seriously, unless they recast him they can't do any of that stuff now. 

If they plan on focusing on the Revolution in Season 6 (and include elements of Books 6 and 7, if the pattern continues from this season), wouldn't the inclusion of LJG be a prime opportunity to show conflicting viewpoints of the war?  Diana did such a good job of that in the books (prose and some plot points aside), highlighting those gray areas of friend and foe and the struggles that friends and families faced regarding when, how, and if to choose sides in the conflict.

It's typical fodder for any story of a civil war, which is what the Revolution is, but I still think it's compelling and draws parallels to today.

6 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Throwing it out there- maybe season 6 is the last one? 

Sadly, it's possible, especially with the delayed filming due to the pandemic.  It has to get increasingly difficult to retain the leads every season, not because they aren't interested but because they surely must have a lot of other opportunities to consider and pursue.  I feel like Sam is everywhere lately, and good for him, but there are only so many hours in a day and so much money you can offer someone.  

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Sadly, it's possible, especially with the delayed filming due to the pandemic.  It has to get increasingly difficult to retain the leads every season, not because they aren't interested but because they surely must have a lot of other opportunities to consider and pursue.  I feel like Sam is everywhere lately, and good for him, but there are only so many hours in a day and so much money you can offer someone.  

Well, both the leads, Cait and Sam are producers on this show now, so they have a stake in it.

I'm not going to speculate if next season is the last. Just a wait and see. Because if the actors can't get back to production for this show due to the pandemic, they can't do other projects either, for the same reason.

• Love 3

I'm not going to speculate if next season is the last. Just a wait and see. Because if the actors can't get back to production for this show due to the pandemic, they can't do other projects either, for the same reason.

You're right about that. We may not see any new programming of scripted shows until the end of the year at least; and for series on streaming services that already have a delay, we may see them cancelled! (I'm also thinking of shows like Mrs. Maisel). They are expensive, very tech-, set- and costume-heavy, and depending on how TV and film pivot, post-pandemic,, we may see a lot of easier to produce shows. I hope it's not the end...but I've also seen series I liked ended by earthquake and writer's strikes!

32 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

You're right about that. We may not see any new programming of scripted shows until the end of the year at least; and for series on streaming services that already have a delay, we may see them cancelled! (I'm also thinking of shows like Mrs. Maisel). They are expensive, very tech-, set- and costume-heavy, and depending on how TV and film pivot, post-pandemic,, we may see a lot of easier to produce shows. I hope it's not the end...but I've also seen series I liked ended by earthquake and writer's strikes!

I guess we can watch all the shows we love over & over! I am wondering if anything will get made this year? You cannot social distance on a tv set?(Jamie & Claire not touching each other, HA!) or a movie set, & the staff is huge. I guess we will see once restrictions are slowly lifted. 

4 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

If they plan on focusing on the Revolution in Season 6 (and include elements of Books 6 and 7, if the pattern continues from this season), wouldn't the inclusion of LJG be a prime opportunity to show conflicting viewpoints of the war?  Diana did such a good job of that in the books (prose and some plot points aside), highlighting those gray areas of friend and foe and the struggles that friends and families faced regarding when, how, and if to choose sides in the conflict.

It's typical fodder for any story of a civil war, which is what the Revolution is, but I still think it's compelling and draws parallels to today.

This is why I like books 7 and 8 more than 5 or 6.  One of my favorite things in book 6 is Lord John airily dismissing news of the Declaration of Independence as republican (small r) nonsense that the British government would never in a million years take seriously.

I'm assuming from all the pointed mention of William this episode that the show will be at least following the book in introducing him again next season as a painfully young British officer.  His entanglement with Claire aside, removing Lord John as William's only remaining parental figure who nonetheless willingly participated in passing him off as the rightful son of an earl at least partially to stay in Jamie's orbit changes the entire shape of that story considerably.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Throwing it out there- maybe season 6 is the last one? 

I was discussing this with someone the other day, and sadly, I think you're right. I'm not a book reader, so I don't know what's been omitted, changed or rearranged, but if LJG has a huge storyline coming up and they erase him from the show, that doesn't bode well for the future. It sounds like they're going off the reservation to conclude things sooner rather than later.

I imagine S6 will be all about the war and they'll just give everyone an ending. 

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I like your outlook on this much better than mine!  🙂  

55 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

One of my favorite things in book 6 is Lord John airily dismissing news of the Declaration of Independence as republican (small r) nonsense that the British government would never in a million years take seriously.

Yes!  I love the differing perspectives on the seriousness of the situation and the severity of people's intentions.  Not that I want this to become Turn (amazing show!), but I think it's a really compelling story and one that we've been building toward in many ways since the beginning.  

57 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I'm assuming from all the pointed mention of William this episode that the show will be at least following the book in introducing him again next season as a painfully young British officer.  His entanglement with Claire aside, removing Lord John as William's only remaining parental figure who nonetheless willing participated in passing him off as the rightful son of an earl at least partially to stay in Jamie's orbit changes the entire shape of that story considerably.

Absolutely!  We would definitely lose a layer in those relationships.  I also like how Claire does come around on John and they do have their own positive relationship, contrived marriage aside.  

Barry saying this now feels like a huge spoiler, and I'm a little surprised that he wasn't contractually required to keep this to himself for now. I love LJ as a character, and I think Barry is perfect in the role, so this will be a huge loss for me personally. I'm somewhat concerned about which characters the show runners decided were more important, other than the obvious. If they have only one season to bring everyone's story lines to a satisfying conclusion, they're obviously going to have to cut a lot.

2 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

I thought we would get 7 seasons, as Sam & Cait said they were contracted for 7 seasons (once, somewhere in an interview).

As actors, they can be signed on for x amount of seasons but that does not mean anything if the network makes the decision to end the show before then. Actor contracts for timelines are only for scheduling and requirement if the show goes on for a certain amount of time. 

• Useful 1

It would be a shame to end the show before the books are done and before the Revolution has barely started. It would be like ending on a cliffhanger. 

34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It would be a shame to end the show before the books are done and before the Revolution has barely started. It would be like ending on a cliffhanger. 

Gabaldon's been working on Buik 9 for four years now. I think there were some excerpts of it being posted in the specific buik thread. I don't know if she stopped writing in between, but according Matt Roberts, they didn't want to pull her from her writing, when they approached her to write "Journeycake", but she was happy to write it.

Since it appears that this season was a mishmash of 5 and 6, next season could be 6 and 7. And if the show/actors want to keep working on the show, it could go up to buik/season 7, which didn't really end on a cliffhanger, but with the return of Bree, Roger and their kids.

I'm hopeful it will return. Hell, a couple years ago? Last year? I watched Medici on Netflix--two seasons only, and I wanted a third. But there were rumors that it was cancelled after two. But when I was watching something else, guess what showed up in my queue? Season 3 of Medici.

I just want to see how Roberts and Co. tackle the rest of the buiks. So far for me, Seasons 1-3 are the best. The last two? Not so much.

And as for John Grey? They can recast, since they barely used him and David was really good. But I can't picture him acting like the Arsehole buik John Grey was in 6. Or was that 7 when he and Claire thought Jamie was dead? I'd love for Laura Donnelly to return as Jenny.

39 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Gabaldon's been working on Buik 9 for four years now. I think there were some excerpts of it being posted in the specific buik thread.

Someone told me she had a bad injury after a fall and took some time off from writing. 🤷‍♀️ Whatever. 

40 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hell, a couple years ago? Last year? I watched Medici on Netflix--two seasons only, and I wanted a third. But there were rumors that it was cancelled after two. But when I was watching something else, guess what showed up in my queue? Season 3 of Medici.

Hey, that was one of my quarantine binges. Fun show. 😊

• Love 1

And if you haven’t watched the Showtime series The Borgias, that’s excellent too. I think it was 2 seasons. Lotte Verbeek, who played Geillis, has a pretty substantial role. 

• Love 1

I understood this to be non spoilery about Bree leaving, saying goodbye to the ridge, etc .(it burns, right?), not that he's not returning to the *show*.

7 minutes ago, MYOS said:

I understood this to be non spoilery about Bree leaving, saying goodbye to the ridge, etc .(it burns, right?), not that he's not returning to the *show*.

The actor confirmed that this was his last episode.

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Since it appears that this season was a mishmash of 5 and 6, next season could be 6 and 7. And if the show/actors want to keep working on the show, it could go up to buik/season 7, which didn't really end on a cliffhanger, but with the return of Bree, Roger and their kids.

Book 8 ended that way and it's making me crazy waiting for book 9 because I want explanations, dammit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1