Type keyword(s) to search

Baking Impossible - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Streaming on Netflix. Top bakers and engineers team up to build edible creations that must taste delicious and survive intense engineering stress tests to win $100,000.

Host - Justin Willman

Judges -Andrew Smyth, Hakeem Oluseyi and Joanne Chang

I'm only up to episode 4 but I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of Lego Masters but with dessert.

• Love 1

Thanks for the forum! I just posted about this show on the “If you like GBBO” thread. I’ve watched only episode 1 and I like it. The winning boat was awesome and beautiful. I knew that

Spoiler

The good ship lollipop 

would sink like a lead balloon. It was ridiculous. But there were some pretty good boats. I’ve missed seeing Justin so am glad he’s the host, I love Andrew and although the other two judges are unfamiliar to me, I really enjoy them both. I will definitely watch this while on the treadmill. Did they say that the grand prize is $100,000? That’s not too shabby!

The set kind of looks like the Sugar Rush set. Speaking of which, can’t wait for the holiday version of that show!

• Love 2

I just started watching and like it a lot.  I liked episode #2 (robots) a little better than #1 (robots), because it seemed a bit more fun.  I realize that the engineering is MUCH more important than the baking.   Watching #3 (chain reactions) now.

One thing I really like are the super qualified judges, especially the engineering one who explains things so clearly.  

It seems like a good strategy may be to make sure you win the first challenge, because the advantage the winners got was huge.  I can see that just kind of snowballing, where they win the next challenge because of that, and then the one after that etc.  (I don't know and certainly am not saying that is what happened).  

Anyway, it's a lot of fun to watch.  

• Love 2

We just finished the first two episodes, and enjoyed the concept more than we thought we would.

One thing . . . would it be all that awful if all the teams saw the layout for the final competition BEFORE they started working on their design?  Then the challenge might be more balanced, and the winning team would really have to excel, rather than being only one of the two or so that completed the course.

Fun nonetheless.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying this very much, have watched through episode 6 (I think) , the Bake Quake.  What a cliff hanger!
I feel so sorry for Steve - no matter how much the show tries to hype her, Renee just isn't a very good engineer.  She's lucky to have Steve as her partner, at least he knew how to construct a building because of his wedding cake expertise.  There is no way they should continue.  

I still think the advantage given to the winning team is way too advantageous.  See the obstacle so and so being able to address the traps?  Having someone extra to help for 3 hours?  It's a wonder the team with the advantage ever loses.  

Love the judges, their comments are insightful and helpful, and the host is not annoying.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

I still think the advantage given to the winning team is way too advantageous. 

The team with the advantage in the Quake test were VERY lucky to have had it. It looked like their tower wasn't going to survive a few more seconds. I do agree the advantages are a bit too advantageous for my taste. 

I'm a bit bummed by the cliffhanger because those are my two favorite teams. While Renee comes off as a bit of a ditz, or not quite that, I think she just doesn't really think things through. Maybe some version of ADHD or similar and Steve looks like he would likely push her in front of a truck if it would get him a new partner, I actually do like them, and I love Purple Hair and Young Guy (sorry, binged it and didn't really catch any of their names. I only know Steve and Renee because you just said them). The other two teams I don't really know them. I think there's Southern Woman and Young Dimples. They are okay. And that other team with, a male and a female neither of which I can picture even though I watched the whole thing today. 

I do love the pairing of engineering with baking and that each team is made of an "expert" in each so it is balanced. It's been an enjoyable, but ultimately forgettable show. A good way to pass the weekend. 

The only thing I really don't like is the really, really forced way they announce the winners. That part reeks of trying too hard. but listening to Andrew's delightful accent and Hakeem's deep, deep voice are making up for it. (I'm a sucker for a deep voice).

• Love 1

When I first started watching, I thought this was going to be really hokey but it got very interesting very quickly. The main reason, I think, is that the judges really are experts, (and not just people who won the Next Food Network Star) the competitions are tough (but they give them enough time to complete them successfully) and it stars the delightful Andrew from GBBO as its main judge. 

• Love 5

Another thing I like is that they go into the competition knowing that engineering and construction are what it’s about. It’s not a one-time gimmicky challenge on a FN show or on GBBO biscuit week. I don’t care for gimmicky challenges like that but I don’t mind it on this show since that’s its premise. 

• Love 4

Watched episode 2 with Robots today. That was fun! I am fascinated by anyone who can code and construct these things. Yes, I know that coding is taught now (rightfully so and I’m jealous), but even the lamest entry was wonderful (to me). The right team won (will they continue to dominate?) and the right team went home. Justin, who I have loved since he hosted Cake Wars, Cupcake Wars and Halloween Wars, is so darling and a perfect host. I knew that he is a magician and when he “coughed” up the donut, I thought that was adorable. And Hakeem and Joanne who are judging alongside Andrew are so very enjoyable. I just can’t believe how much I love this show and all the cast. I hope it has a second season and I can’t wait to watch the remaining episodes, but I’m being judicious about it. I download and watch at the gym when I’m on the treadmill or stair master. This show encourages me to go workout…kind of like a bone for a dog! 

• Love 2
On 10/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, Spunkygal said:

Another thing I like is that they go into the competition knowing that engineering and construction are what it’s about. It’s not a one-time gimmicky challenge on a FN show or on GBBO biscuit week. I don’t care for gimmicky challenges like that but I don’t mind it on this show since that’s its premise. 

I've come to the conclusion that all the FN baking shows give the teams a pre-competition period where they can put together the materials they're going to need.  How many times have you watched one of these shows and wondered how a team knew to bring some specialized thing we see in the construction of the bake that wouldn't be readily available, or has an armature all ready?  So this is how I think it goes -- the teams get the briefs on-camera and brainstorm an idea, then they're given a chance to engineer their bakes, then the competition is filmed and all of it is edited together to look like it's happening in real time.  Otherwise, they'd never have enough time to think up an idea, engineer it and bake it, all in the span of 5 hrs.  

• Love 1
On 10/8/2021 at 8:23 PM, mjc570 said:

One thing I really like are the super qualified judges, especially the engineering one who explains things so clearly.  

I can not remember his name, but he does talking heads for lots of shows that feature scientific anomalies and strange things that have to be explained to dummies like me. He always does a great job and is very clear and concise and easy to understand without making me feel like an idiot.

I also adore the red head Andrew who I recognize from GBBO. He made pies in the shape of cogs that actually worked. He has the skills for sure.

I am on episode 3 and Renee is not pulling her weight at all. Steve looks like he is going to wring her neck everytime she screws up something. The pink haired team has done quite well and I think they are going to go far.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Arynm said:

I can not remember his name, but he does talking heads for lots of shows that feature scientific anomalies and strange things that have to be explained to dummies like me. He always does a great job and is very clear and concise and easy to understand without making me feel like an idiot.

Dr. Hakeem Oluseyi. I've only seen him before now lending legitimacy to Jackass-y stunts on Discovery shows, as if explaining the physics of backyard-built rocketships is going to make them any less likely to explode on first use. I'm glad to see him using his powers for good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/8/2021 at 7:23 PM, mjc570 said:

I just started watching and like it a lot.  I liked episode #2 (robots) a little better than #1 (robots), because it seemed a bit more fun.  I realize that the engineering is MUCH more important than the baking.   Watching #3 (chain reactions) now.

After watching all the available episodes, I'd argue that baking expertise is far more valuable. Aside from the edible requirement, most of the challenges could probably be used as one of the engineering and technology events for an American high school Science Olympiad competition. There are a few challenges (mini-golf, Rube Goldberg device, and tower construction) where the bakers could probably manage it completely on their own, but I doubt the converse would be true. 

Also, I wish the bakers demonstrated a little more variety in their desserts. Most of the items presented for judging have been some sort of layer cake with buttercream frosting with the occasional puff pastry or macaron thrown into the mix. It'd be nice to see some more pies, tarts, and pastries. Someone made a cake that mimicked the flavors of a cannoli - and I kept wondering why they didn't just make an actual cannoli to help stand out from the crowd. 

• Love 1

I so wanted Cindy and Taylor to win, but as soon as the car couldn't get up the ramp, I knew it was over for them.  Congratulations, Rodolfo and Sarah, and I look forward to the next season of this show -- well done, Netflix!

• Love 3

I especially liked how supportive Taylor was of Cindy, they were so good for each., they were so in synch  It was pretty clear that when they failed the 2nd test, they probably wouldn't win.  I also think that while their fish bridge worked well and was amazing to look at, Rodolfo and Sarah's whole display was just on a higher level, with so much more detail as well as a unifying story.   

Overall, I really liked the show, especially the great judges, and hope their is another season.

• Love 2

I’m thrown off that after 2 episodes that was 8 hours each of them constructing/baking, on the third episode they are all in the same clothing as episode one. Did they never shower or sleep? And why is Renee still here when everything she has built has failed? I’m guessing it’s because Steve’s baking has saved her ass.

I’m sort of glad that the team that keeps winning and is the front runner didn’t end up winning the whole thing. Nice surprise.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Binged this in two days and really enjoyed it. One thing I wondered was about the different engineers. This is not my area of expertise, but aren't there different types of engineers? It's a field with many different skill sets and specialties. The engineers had to make a robot, a tall building that could withstand an earthquake, a boat, a chain reaction thingy, plus a few others. The bakers mostly made cakes. Nothing against cake. I love cake. But it seems like the engineers had more varied challenges. 

• Love 2

Yes there are a lot of types of engineering, but for the most part these challenges are testing fundamental knowledge; the underlying skills for engineering specialties would cover most of these challenges. Maybe some electrical wiring skills would be a bit more specailized; but even then, if an engineer is into this type of building, they've probably picked up some electrical skills along the way regardless. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I finished this show last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope it gets a season 2 with Justin as host and Andrew, Joanne and Dr. O as judges.  This was a unique and interesting concept and it seems Andrew played a part in devising the challenges. I think my favorite was the one with the crash test dummies but I enjoyed them all. And I liked all the “bakeineers.”

Now I’m ready for the Sugar Rush Holiday special and hopefully GBBO Holiday special. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

And I liked all the “bakeineers.”

I did like them, but every time anyone said bakeineers I heard baconeers and really wanted bacon. 

I liked the show. It felt more like an engineering challenge with baked goods than a baking challenge with some engineering, but I am fine with that. There are tons of shows that focus more on the baking so this was a nice change.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 10/17/2021 at 5:05 PM, Mabinogia said:

I did like them, but every time anyone said bakeineers I heard baconeers and really wanted bacon. 

I liked the show. It felt more like an engineering challenge with baked goods than a baking challenge with some engineering, but I am fine with that. There are tons of shows that focus more on the baking so this was a nice change.

Lolololol me too!!!  I kept thinking they were saying bacon-ears.  

I liked this show and thought it was a fun diversion.  I just side-eyed some of the "edible" stuff they were using.  Sausage casing on it's own is not a delicious thing to just munch on. 

• Love 2

This show was so much fun! I can't believe how much I enjoyed it. Didn't know anything going in, but I'll watch almost any talent/skill-based competition, so on a whim I started the first episode. And there was Joanne Chang! I love her. Flour, her local chain of bakeries is excellent and her first cookbook, also named Flour, is my favorite. I thought she was an excellent judge. I already liked Andrew from GBBO and Dr. O. is a delight, and I loved hearing his perspective. I liked all the teams, too, though I was kind of afraid Steve was going to kill Renee at times, but maybe he's just reserved. What a weird, wonderful premise and I wish there were a second season I could binge now! 

• Love 8

Dr. Oluyesi's autoiography, A Quantum Life, is a great read. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him after learning his backstory.  Joanne seems like she'd be a better judge for higher level baking pros. Andrew and Justin are fun to watch. I read somewhere that Andrew is involved  with the skeptic community.

For the most part, I loved the camaraderie between the contestants and how the teams eventually went from keeping to their lanes to contributing to all aspects of their projects.  

About Steve and Renee. He just seems very introverted and low key. He probably is one of those people with a quiet, wicked wit that may or may not land with some people.  Poor Renee. Not everyone is cut out for television and timed competition shows can be brutal.  If she works for the education arm of JPL, they may be pushing her to be a spokes-personality-critter. The way she talked during their exit, I got the impression she and Steve came to like each other, but she was very ready to get back to the lab.

There was only one person I did not enjoy: Brandi. She was loud, obnoxious, and I'm sorry, but every person from Kentucky watching had to cringe at her bawling belle speech. She reminded me of every theatre/cheer/dance/karate mom who has to make everything about herself.  What really got to me was her insistence on taking credit for anything that worked well.  Whenever anyone complimented the actual engineering. she'd pipe up and bark out a "Thahnk yew!" before Manuka could respond. I noticed Dr. Oluyesi started addressing Manuka by name every time he talked about the mechanics of their projects.  Toward the end, Manuka told a cute story about his uncle's jeep. Joanne asked him if that was how he got interested in engineering.  Before he could answer, Brandi bellowed, "YES!"  Oh, my goodness. Shut up, you jackass. You're embarrassing us.

I was happy to see who won. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed both teams' designs, it was obvious the winning team's bridge was built better. However, the results of the final stress test came as no surprise with the team that came in second place.  I think they could have stood on it themselves and it wouldn't have budged.  Th winning team's weight test had me holding my beath.  Both designs were so reflective of their styles.  If both had passed all three tests, I wonder if it would have ended with a tie. 

• Love 3

I've only gotten through 5 episodes of this show so far, so I haven't read the other comments because I don't want to spoil myself. I apologize if this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but how is Renee still there? Better yet, how did she get on this show to begin with? Did anybody check to see if she really is an engineer, because damn, how incompetent can one person be? Steve is obviously holding himself back from strangling her since everything she attempts to do, fails. Plus, the way she jumps up & down & claps reminds me of this scene from Seinfeld when Elaine's IQ dropped when she stopped having sex.

I don't even like the show, I'm mostly watching it for background noise.

• Love 1