Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: A Colorful Return

• Start Topic

The designers are split into two teams living and working separately to create mini-collections celebrating color; the competition comes to a head on the day of the runway show when they reunite hoping their team is victorious.

Original air date: October 14, 2021

I’m so glad this show is back. Making The Cut on Amazon didn’t do it for me. This is a group of designers with very big personalities so this will be interesting but I’m not sure if I want to see alot of negative drama (as was shown in the previews).
Bones came off right away as negative by dissing Christian and not wanting advice. But he did win and he did design Darrens whole look so in all fairness he designed two outfits, he earned that win.

The person (don’t know names yet) who went home deserved to go. Her look wasn’t finished, looked like a bathrobe and her model looked pregnant. I don’t know how that hideous green, flouncy dress didn’t get bottom three. 

• Love 16

Welcome back show!  At the very beginning I was liking Bones when everyone was getting their fabrics cut when they decided to try and be cohesive and pick together.  But as time went on I was not such a fan until he took that gold fabric and made such a beautiful dress for the guy who we all know is not going to last (having to smoke 30 minutes before runway with an unfinished dress?  No no no)  He wavered so much as to whether he was team leader that it was exhausting.

The right person went home but damn why didn't the girl who made the outfit that looked like a clowns costume be on the bottom?  They couldn't come up with one reason for the bows?

• Love 17

I don't see how the plus-sized item that STAYED that walked the runway immediately prior to the one that was Aufed wasn't amazingly worse.  It looked terrible, and following it, my wife and I both thought the one that got sent home was actually fine.  I guess the opinion here is that it deserved it, but I must disagree given some of the stuff that stayed.

Bones' looks weren't really our favorites either.  The second one especially.  We found the one by the silver fox most to our liking.

• Love 23

This is a very strange group. There are usually 3 compelling characters that draw your attention, but while some tried to be bold, no one but bones did any attention seeking. Hopefully next week we get some whose name sticks out.

There were also some ugly dresses coming down the runway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Yay, the show is back! I'm happy boring monotone Karlie Kloss is gone. She's not missed.

I can't believe how utterly perfect Christian is for this role. I've loved him since he won his season and I'm super proud of everything he's accomplished.

It took Darren a long ass time to finally admit that Bone's made that dress. I think Bones handled that situation well. 

Not sure of everyone's names yet. There was some choppy editing when Bones was trying to explain himself and the southern guy was yelling at him. I felt that they were trying to set Bones up to take the fall and he was just trying to protect himself. I also felt the editing was weird when the Russian woman walked up to Chastity and expected her to move to a different sewing machine after she had set it all up. I'm glad she didn't move.

I liked Zayden's commentary and facial expressions when they were discussing the concept. I was right there with him when he asked if they're still doing the flower.

I liked Octavio's red outfit but I hope not everything is going to be straps and big pants like Brandon.

• Love 22

So no host. No loss so far. Christian really genuine and great to watch. 
these designers are going to be a handful. Instead of a couple of big drama attention seekers looks like they went for a majority. 
Drahmaaaah ahead!

• Love 15

So I guess that everyone is the host this season? I wonder why they didn't get someone to replace Karlie?

Too many people to know who is who yet, but I loved the pants/jacket cranberry colored outfit on the winning team. I wish I could find a photo of it.

• Love 15

The first one out was the designer I found the most annoying in this episode, so I was glad. Don't miss Carlie but I wish Christian was out too. He cares more about being quippy and acting cool than actually helping them. Because one contestant didn't bow down at his awesomeness he flounces off? You're there to support them, not throw a tantrum.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, eyelash said:

So...do I have this right?  Those runway gowns that cost thousands can actually be made in 30 minutes from leftover fabric?  

Maybe! And diamonds are as common as coal! Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Yay!  PR is back!  I like this version of it, with no useless, wooden host who contributes nothing. 

There were some messy looks on the runway, but I loved this burst of color to start things off.  I am not a fan of team challenges.  Let's do flower inspired looks!  But let's only add bows!  WTF? 

I was not a fan of the red outfit that came in second place on the Warm team.  The pants just looked sloppy and baggy and unflattering to me.  And then it was paired with a tiny tube top.  Tube tops are not tops!  I can't believe there are grown women who would buy tube tops and call it high fashion.  Nope.

• Love 24

I'm so glad PR is back!  I've missed Christian, Brandon and Elaine.  It was a bit strange at first with no host, but actually it's fine without one.  The judges can take turns doing that part.

Like some others, I'm reserving judgement on Bones.  Darren, too, as shutting down when overwhelmed is totally relatable.  But that's why I'd never do a competitive reality show.  Maybe his talent got subsumed by nerves?  We'll see.  I'm just glad they didn't cut the adorable Sabrina.  Her look was not great but she clearly has a unique pov.  While I don't wear many bright colors or patterns, I love seeing other people wear them and design with them and am very interested in seeing her work. 

While there are definitely some big personalities this season, hopefully PR won't go back to the drama of Orange Josh and the petty backbiting from several seasons ago.  Bravo can save that stuff for shows I don't watch, ha ha.

Brandon's criteria for what he looks for on the runway was very helpful, as sometimes I have no idea what the judges are going to like and what they're going to hate.  And I still don't understand what makes a collection cohesive.  Apparently I'm not alone though, since none of the contestants could explain it either.  I kept telling my husband that surely cohesive means more than putting a bow on something.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 12

I think Karlie had to miss the season due to pregnancy.  

Bones, Bones, Bones.   On one hand, arrogant and obnoxious with Christian.   On the other hand, helping the guy who choked.  On the other, other hand, helping him was partly/mostly to save the team?

Bones deserved the win for all the work, but I hated all 3 looks,, including the one he made for himself.  I thought the least bad was the one he made for the other guy.   Yes, it was basic, but I think the material really helped. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
12 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

I feel like Nina in particular doesn't like when a plus size model wears something voluminous. Like she'll accept that fat people exist and are allowed to wear fashion, but she can't comprehend that a fat person wouldn't be super concerned about looking bigger than they are.

What I thought was funny was that she criticized the lavender robe, saying she couldn't see the model's waist.  I thought, "Uh, yes you can, because it's the biggest thing on her."  What Nina couldn't see was a nipped-in waist, which people who are shaped like apples don't have.  Now, should garments be considering flattering only if they give that illusion?  I don't know, because I'm still in the camp that thinks clothes look better on beanpoles.  But I find the inclusion of just a couple of big models to border on tokenism at best, and unfair to the designers at worst.

Didn't they used to do a "plus-size challenge"?  I'm sure that's all kinds of wrong, but it would at least create a level playing field, which I think is important in a competition. 

12 hours ago, novhappy said:

Christian really genuine and great to watch.

There's nothing genuine about his combover (combforward?), and it makes it hard for me to watch him because I'm always trying to analyze what exactly it's doing, and feeling sorry for him that he feels like he needs to go through that.

3 hours ago, novhappy said:

Thinking about it I’m calling producer shenanigans on the gold column dress being in the top three. Basic af, no innovation or interest. It was top three to promote the drama. 

I agree.  I have no doubt they had the top two, and it doesn't matter what the third one is, so they used this one.  And, have they done this before, where they don't say who the top three are, but reveal them one by one?  I found it a bit coincidental that the first time I saw them do this was in a case where the last look out would be the controversial one.  We'll see if they keep this format for the rest of the show.

34 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Megan is totally going to lose it and I will be watching

Me too!  Although I do wonder about producer shenanigans when we see her lying on her bed weeping while looking at paper photos of her dead mother, with two people trying to meditate five feet away. 

Anybody else still get print issues of The New Yorker?  Their advertising pages are down to about zero, except for a women's clothing company from Sweden, I think, that takes out full-page ads of clothes that are layers on layers and look just like the clown clothes Katie makes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

There's nothing genuine about his combover (combforward?), and it makes it hard for me to watch him because I'm always trying to analyze what exactly it's doing, and feeling sorry for him that he feels like he needs to go through that.

Yeah, this also stuck out for me.  It literally looked like a hairpiece.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

So happy this is back. I totally think Aaron was robbed, his maroon suit was stunning. Bones's jumpsuit to me looked cheap and made it look like the models boobs were down to her navel.  Megan is totally going to lose it and I will be watching

Loved Aaron's outfit and personality. Definately deserved to be Top 3. The gold dress in top was just producer driven drama. Am predicting ( hoping??) he will be in the hunt at the end. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Brandon's criteria for what he looks for on the runway was very helpful, as sometimes I have no idea what the judges are going to like and what they're going to hate. 

can you remind me what he said?

Overall, I thought it was pretty obvious which team was better. There were so many terrible outfits on the cool team. 

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Can you remind me what he said?

I must have missed it, too.  Someone outlined some judging criteria?  I mean, besides Nina squinching out that she found a garment "editorial"?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What I thought was funny was that she criticized the lavender robe, saying she couldn't see the model's waist.  I thought, "Uh, yes you can, because it's the biggest thing on her."  What Nina couldn't see was a nipped-in waist, which people who are shaped like apples don't have.  Now, should garments be considering flattering only if they give that illusion?  I don't know, because I'm still in the camp that thinks clothes look better on beanpoles.  But I find the inclusion of just a couple of big models to border on tokenism at best, and unfair to the designers at worst.

Didn't they used to do a "plus-size challenge"?  I'm sure that's all kinds of wrong, but it would at least create a level playing field, which I think is important in a competition. 

I agree with the idea of an even playing field with every designer having to design for a plus-sized model in the same show.

As a size 14 apple shape, I never want to emphasize my waist and I never want a big old belt there either!  Especially tied with a bow in front!!!    Ack!   And I won’t wear a skin-tight skirt that they say emphasizes my “curves,” but actually emphasizes my belly.  Maybe some people have more confidence/better body image than I have, but I would love to see someone design for my body type without it being a) a tent, or b) what they’d put a slender person in and who cares how it looks on me.   A nice sheath dress in beautiful fabric/color is flattering, as is a longer jacket not ending at my waist.  Rant over.  😝

Thanks for the info that Karlie was missing.  I couldn’t figure out what was different! 😁

• Love 23

The whole whats-the-story thing gets to be ridiculous.  "What's the story of the bow?"  Why didn't they just say, no story it's just DESIGN ELEMENT to share among the collection.  I guess a story could be their woman likes whimsy.  I'm not a bow person myself, but it could have been a fun tying element with big bows, little bows, etc., but done in fun.

I didn't see why Chastity was in the bottom.  I thought her bow solution was rather clever--tilt it at an angle to lessen the tweeness of bows.

I hope all the aggro shown in the previews is limited to one incident.  I can't take another Ken or Vincent.

I just rewatched season 17 and hey, there's Mimi!  Yeah.

• Love 10

Christian swanning out of the room was very unprofessional. His comments are always delivered in a very arch manner, designed for soundbites. Sometimes he just 'hmms'. Instead of constructive criticism he snarks. He's very, very fake. As for him being "his acclaimed better." wow. Were we transported to 18th century England?

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Michichick said:

Of course the person who worked with a plus size model got the boot. Her coat thing was hideous. But I rather dislike how it feels like the plus size models land in the bottom more often. I have no facts to support this so don’t come at me. :)

Kudos to the person on the winning team who freely admitted he didn’t make that dress.

Bones bugs me. Hope to turn my opinion around on that.

Clothes look better on tall coat hangers, it’s a disadvantage to have the plus size model.   Most of those models were pretty bad anyway.  

But the other plus size outfit won.   And they obviously brought out the sparkly dress in the top 3 because they knew the story behind it.   They wanted drama. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Bluesky said:

But the other plus size outfit won.  

The other model and outfit the show specifically called out as plus size was not Bones's, it was Meg's on the cool-color team, one of the two who didn’t use a bow. 

21 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

just rewatched season 17 and hey, there's Mimi!  Yeah.

Wasn’t Mimi also a PR model last season, too?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, candall said:

I thought the "monochromatic" requirement resulted in the most beautiful team runway I can remember on this show.  In fact, "warm or cool monochromatic" created a cohesive runway look right off the bat.  

(The designers would have been smart to agree on a tonal value--either toward the rich jewel colors or the pastel end--but warm palette/cool palette tied everything together enough.)

What an excellent observation.

Extremely tall, emaciated women hip-thrusting down the runway became the standard because that's the body shape that displays the designs to their best advantage.  (My mother did fashion illustrations for Saks and her figures were long-waisted, with impossibly long legs and long graceful swan necks.  People didn't really think about the anatomical figures, they just saw pretty clothes.)

I think it's great that these fashion professionals are going to recognize that real women wear clothes, too, but to claim it's all same-same is disingenuous.  As @MerBearStare picked up on, it's like a cardinal sin if the design makes the curvy model appear larger.  As in, "Horrors!  Now she looks even bigger!"

Seems like it would serve everyone best if they just hired a whole bevy of models with some meat on their bones.  What if everyone had a Size 8 to work with instead of fourteen designers dressing a 00 and two designers dressing a 14?

Well, ha, but it's late.  I'm hallucinating.

I’m short and understand the outfit won’t look the same on me.  I know which ones will work.   It’s a show and it’s showing some beautiful work and should be shown in its best light which means tall, thin people to hang the work on.  I found the model wearing the yellow outfit distracting because her breasts were going two different ways. We shouldn’t even notice that, it should be all about the clothes.  

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Michichick said:

Bones bugs me. Hope to turn my opinion around on that.

I really wanted him to go home until.... he threw Darren's cigarette away. I laughed so hard, I thought "Okay, stay forever". I know he was the guy who didn't want to be the leader when he thought they might lose, then quickly took the mantle when they won, which seems shady, but he did save his team. When they needed help, he more than came through. 

19 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

I hated the design of the other girl on the cool team who worked with the plus size model and preferred the eliminated design. As a fat girl myself, I thought her design was something you could go into Nordstrom and buy right now. She also seems like she's going to be A LOT.

Meg... whoo boy. When she started out with the “I love that you're like…. [blah blah blah] right now” or "I'm loving the [blah blah blah] vibe right now." I thought, you know what I'm not loving right now? This woman's desperate attempt to get attention with pointless bullshit. Then she started crying during the meditation (which, I admit, could be genuine combo of stress and grief - but still it got her that attention). Then she turned out one of the worst outfits, far more deserving of a bottom two placement than Chasity, yet skated through with nary a comment and I've had it... officially.

Other notes:

- I think the show spent all their location money on that great workroom so they had to put everyone in a modified flophouse.

- I love Christian Siriano as the mentor. He's in a unique position as being a former contestant who won his season and then went on to have a brand that regularly shows at NYFW. So he knows what the contestants need to do to be successful, both on the show and after. He also seems genuinely concerned for them. They really should listen to him.

- I was always neutral on Karlie Kloss. I don't think she added anything to the show and it took me awhile to notice she was gone.

- I cracked up at the look on Zayden's face when Meg said the Warm team was mostly men so they probably weren't fighting, then they immediately cut to the Warm team fighting.

- For an episode where judges were talking about the attention to detail down to who had the worst darting, it's odd that they put Darren/Bones' simple 30 minute dress in the top and ignored Aaron's amazing red bomber jacket that looked very detailed and difficult to make in comparison.

-Overall, I liked this runway. There should be some good clothes coming out of this group.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 20
18 minutes ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

Then she turned out one of the worst outfits, far more deserving of a bottom two placement than Chasity, yet skated through with nary a comment and I've had it... officially.

(re: Meg) I think that was the useless thing with a gathered empire bodice and that was about it? As someone said, that's your basic "what to put on when you're bigger than you want to be." And as I recall, the seaming was pretty wonky.

• Love 2
On 10/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, Lassus said:

I don't see how the plus-sized item that STAYED that walked the runway immediately prior to the one that was Aufed wasn't amazingly worse.  It looked terrible, and following it, my wife and I both thought the one that got sent home was actually fine.  I guess the opinion here is that it deserved it, but I must disagree given some of the stuff that stayed.

Bones' looks weren't really our favorites either.  The second one especially.  We found the one by the silver fox most to our liking.

I liked the one made by the silver fox the most, too. Aaron. I thought Bones's own dress didn't flatter the model's breasts. One looked kind of flattened.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 20

Always love witty nicknames that are found here.  From here on out, I will refer to Aaron as "The Silver Fox". He should have been Top 3, but I know PR editing, and sometimes the quiet ones at the beginning go far. Here's hoping.....

• Love 12
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I can agree to a point.  But, as the resident "how the fuck am I supposed to wear a bra with that?" curmudgeon, I think only showing on thin models lets the designers off the hook for designing clothes for an actual market.  Because most women with natural breasts need support, and, for example, one reason red tube top guy could get so much praise for his look was because he did not have a plus size model.   No woman with natural breasts of even a B size will be buying a teeny tube top to wear anywhere.  If a designer wants to truly be a designer of women's clothes, they need to know how to make tops that fit women with breasts.  Breasts, breasts, breasts!  Love them, hate them, whatever, but we HAVE them and need to wear bras most of the time, and a so-called designer needs to know how to design for them!  [/breast rant]  [I reserve the right to breast rant again in future episodes, should the need arise.]

The same goes for hips, butts, and bellies.  If their clothes ONLY can look good on a tall, thin model, those aren't clothes a designer can sell broadly.

I know but do we really ever see these clothes at the mall?  These runway shows are not advertising for people to buy the dress just like the one on the runway.  It’s getting their name out there and maybe when they get big enough they can do petite and plus size.  
I like to admire these clothes and the talent without ever thinking I could wear them.  I wore tube tops all the time with my “a” cup - when I was a teenager.  The clothes are geared towards a younger women. I still love to watch their talent even though they wouldn’t look good on me and nobody had my body type in mind.   

• Love 13

Love that the show is back, but honestly... I miss Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn. Tim  especially. It's taking me a long time to warm to Christian.

A couple of people stated that the plus size look that walked just prior to the losing one (Casey's?) was worse, and I could not agree more.

It's getting more interesting now that dressing plus size models comes up often in the competition, not just in the challenges where the designers dress their visiting  family + friends with  real people's bodies.  They should bring the person in who dressed Uzo Aduba as Dr. Brook Taylor  for the HBO series In Treatment s4 : Tiffany Hasbourne  in to conduct  a masterclass because she did the damn thing! Scene after scene, week after week.

20 hours ago, candall said:

Extremely tall, emaciated women hip-thrusting down the runway became the standard because that's the body shape that displays the designs to their best advantage.  (My mother did fashion illustrations for Saks and her figures were long-waisted, with impossibly long legs and long graceful swan necks.  People didn't really think about the anatomical figures, they just saw pretty clothes.)

I think it's great that these fashion professionals are going to recognize that real women wear clothes, too, but to claim it's all same-same is disingenuous.  As @MerBearStare picked up on, it's like a cardinal sin if the design makes the curvy model appear larger.  As in, "Horrors!  Now she looks even bigger!"

Seems like it would serve everyone best if they just hired a whole bevy of models with some meat on their bones.  What if everyone had a Size 8 to work with instead of fourteen designers dressing a 00 and two designers dressing a 14?

Well, ha, but it's late.  I'm hallucinating.

...and if they weren't tall? Now,  that  would separate the men from the boys! Or to use a more apt  metaphor for PR, it would  separate the designers from the pattern makers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Always love witty nicknames that are found here.  From here on out, I will refer to Aaron as "The Silver Fox".

He looks distractingly like the gray-haired guy who used to be on Catfish on MTV.

6 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I really wanted him to go home until.... he threw Darren's cigarette away. I laughed so hard, I thought "Okay, stay forever".

That was wonderful.  And possibly more effective than the ads that show someone with a tube in their throat from smoking.  Just how addictive is a cigarette that you have 30 minutes to salvage your appearance on Project Runway by making an entirely new dress and you choose to spend any of it smoking?  Frankly, I'm surprised to see anyone that age smoking actual cigarettes.  Have they not heard of vaping?  Not that I endorse vaping, but at least it's less noxious than burning tobacco.

• Love 7