Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Hurricane Job

• Start Topic

Stuck together during a massive hurricane, Eliot and Parker must stop a band of corrupt cops who have taken over a small hotel, and find what the cops are searching for, before it’s too late.

Original air date: October 8, 2021

Aaahhh!  The hospital was paging "Dr. Ross" when Noah walked in & a nurse was bitching about interns!  Then putting him in whites and playing a few bars of the ER theme!  SO much loving this!  *ROFL*  

This show kills me with it's callouts!  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 13

I've been bad with noticing callouts but this time I paid attention, he! Where did you learn all that medical stuff? TV! LOL!

Good episode but I'm starting to miss Breanna. I enjoyed Maria's analyzing of Eliot and her interactions with Parker were fun. Still, I wonder how much longer she's accepting all his man of mystery stuff. Doing all the paperwork with leaving Eliot and Parker out of it must be quite a challenge. 

Lovely scene between Eliot and Parker at the end.

• Love 10

Another fun one.  I love plots like this.  Bad guys and good guys stuck together.  And the Bad guys don't know the good guys are in some ways badder than they are.  LOL. 

The references to Noah Wyle's days on ER were fun. I especially liked that his hospital speak wasn't exactly right.  He said 'subdermal hematoma' at one point.  But I swear, there was a shot of him pushing the gurney while wearing the white coat that he looked like he hadn't aged a single day since his Dr. Carter days.

The one thing, I wondered about was the timing.  When the cops beat up the guy, he had already gotten rid of the ticket.  His sister knew enough to hid it.  I guess we wouldn't have the plot twist if he had simply signed it and told his sis to go put in his claim.  Also I might have missed it but if he didn't turn in the ticket how did the cops know he had the winning ticket?

• Love 7

Y'all when I heard those first few notes from the ER theme I was undone! Watching Noah bark out the ER medical babble that I still have memorized was everything! 

I like Eliot and Maria together. She's a good match for him.

• Love 12

Fun but not one of their stronger eps IMO. Still, can't go wrong with a Eliot and Parker team-up. I like that even after over a decade of working and growing together, their dynamic is still ultimately the same - Parker likes annoying Eliot and he gets pissed off and grumbly even as he risks his life for her. Their final conversation at the very end was especially wonderful - that right there is why I love this show. The cons are fun and clever, it's very funny, but watching this handful of oddballs and misfits becoming a family is what I love most about Leverage. And Parker admitting to Eliot she's scared of losing him, and his instant reassurance that will never happen touches on the heart of this show.

Happy to see marshal Maria back, I like the actress and the character both. Her dynamic with Eliot brings out his softer side, something we don't get to see very often. She is very tolerant of his mysteriousness and it will be interesting to see what happens on that front in the future.

I never watched ER but still got a kick out of Harry pretending to be a doctor. By season's end I think we'll have gotten callbacks and references to everything the entire cast has ever done and I love it!

Really missing our hackers this week, even though the hurricane would have left Breanna or Hardison with little to do. Hoping to see one (preferably both) of them again very soon!

Favorite little moment: Parker wiping her Cheeto fingers on the mark/nasty cop's black jacket :D

• Love 6

ER shoutouts! Dr Ross in this one and Carol Hathaway in the last one!  He just slipped right back into Carter—man.  
Love this so much.  
Love all the characters so much—each episode is a treat.  

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 4

Another good episode. I also was confused about the timing. As it seemed like they just beat that guy up, but clearly just won the lottery, so how did any know about it?

I forgot that he was in ER, but as soon as it showed the lab coat, yep he's going to pretend to be the doctor. Probably not a call out, but when he was naming random medical stuff as a distraction while moving the guy the bed, it reminded me of Star trek: The voyage home.

I always enjoy Elliot and Parker together. But I agree with Parker, I can see Elliot settling down with her and leaving the life behind.

• Love 2

With regards to how the bent cops knew about the lottery win, the guy that got beaten up had called a "lottery lawyer", it's why Harry could talk to him. I assume the cops heard from him somehow, either he was dodgy or some such.

• Love 2

The cops had their network of informers, so I think they heard about it through that and then they just ran a background check to see if he had priors and then used that as an excuse to go after him.

The cop said the lottery winner was bragging about hitting it big, but didn't say where/how he heard it.  

what does a lottery lawyer do?  If he charges a percentage, seems a nice field to get into.  I think an investment guy would be my first stop.  Or maybe hire a bodyguard to get to the lottery place to cash it in.  I don't understand why anyone would announce the win before contacting the lottery officials and getting it on record that I won.

but all that isn't on our Leverage team, so, another fun episode.

he learned medical talk from TV.  Lol.

• Love 3
On 10/29/2021 at 9:49 PM, Johann said:

what does a lottery lawyer do? 

I worked with one - advise the client on how to handle the money once you get it, deal with the lottery office, make sure you have all your ducks in a row (and apparently, your name and phone off line). Oh, and help them get a limo to ride to the lottery office (no joke - but this was in the 80s back when it was more of a novelty). Also, I would think it's to advise them about getting the lump sum vs the annuity, based on all those commercials about "we'll make sure you get your money right now" for long term payouts.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, blueray said:

I forgot that he was in ER, but as soon as it showed the lab coat, yep he's going to pretend to be the doctor. Probably not a call out, but when he was naming random medical stuff as a distraction while moving the guy the bed, it reminded me of Star trek: The voyage home.

Yes! Carter would love Dr McCoy!

On 10/13/2021 at 6:21 AM, gryphon said:

ER shoutouts! Dr Ross in this one and Carol Hathaway in the last one!  He just slipped right back into Carter—man.  
Love this so much.  

Cracked me up - so Carter. He even had that Carter brightness.

On 10/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, marceline said:

Y'all when I heard those first few notes from the ER theme I was undone! Watching Noah bark out the ER medical babble that I still have memorized was everything! 

Same! Loved the music cue so much.

Loved Noah pulling out his ER stuff (I read somewhere that he helped Moon Bloodgood (?) be a TV doctor in Falling Skies). (I also remember seeing Clooney on Graham Norton with Hugh Laurie and saying he remembered all that stuff while Laurie said "nope, don't remember any of it.") I've had to have a lot of bloodwork done over the last few years so I now know what CBC stands for! Still want to know what Chem 7 and Chem 21 are...

Edited by ML89
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, ML89 said:

I worked with one - advise the client on how to handle the money once you get it, deal with the lottery office, make sure you have all your ducks in a row (and apparently, your name and phone off line). Oh, and help them get a limo to ride to the lottery office (no joke - but this was in the 80s back when it was more of a novelty). Also, I would think it's to advise them about getting the lump sum vs the annuity, based on all those commercials about "we'll make sure you get your money right now" for long term payouts.

I thought maybe that, but thought most of that would have been some investment guy giving advice.  Maybe a lawyer would be better - more for the client?  And those people that pay to get a lump sum, if not desperate, are dumb.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Claire85 said:

I remembered some of these, but had to look up the rest.

Chem 7: Blood Chemistry Tests

Blood Urea Nitrogen.

Carbon Dioxide.

Creatinine.

Glucose.

Serum Chloride.

Serum Potassium.

Serum Sodium.

Oh, very cool! I've had a Chem 7 too!

• Love 1
On 11/15/2021 at 5:10 PM, Johann said:

I thought maybe that, but thought most of that would have been some investment guy giving advice.  Maybe a lawyer would be better - more for the client?  And those people that pay to get a lump sum, if not desperate, are dumb.

The lawyer would set up the revocable trusts/foundations/tax avoidance stuff (avoidance = legal ways to dodge taxes. evasion = illegal stuff.), revising the will, etc. 

Back when we only had landlines, I figured I'd get a new phone number and put it in my cat's name. Friends & family know my cat, if they had to look it up. I had all sorts of plans to avoid notice, but it turns out Georgia is one of those states where you can be anonymous claiming your lottery winnings.  So far, I haven't needed to do any of that, since the most I've won at any given time was $36.  In my younger days, I planned to take the annuity, but now, the game I play has an annuity payout over 30 years. I'm probably not gonna live another 30 years, so I'd take the small cash option & pay all the taxes at spread out as I can (There's a windfall option to income taxes, isn't there?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

The lawyer would set up the revocable trusts/foundations/tax avoidance stuff (avoidance = legal ways to dodge taxes. evasion = illegal stuff.), revising the will, etc. 

Back when we only had landlines, I figured I'd get a new phone number and put it in my cat's name. Friends & family know my cat, if they had to look it up. I had all sorts of plans to avoid notice, but it turns out Georgia is one of those states where you can be anonymous claiming your lottery winnings.  So far, I haven't needed to do any of that, since the most I've won at any given time was $36.  In my younger days, I planned to take the annuity, but now, the game I play has an annuity payout over 30 years. I'm probably not gonna live another 30 years, so I'd take the small cash option & pay all the taxes at spread out as I can (There's a windfall option to income taxes, isn't there?)

Sorry, I realize what I said was confusing.  I didn't mean the lump sum from the lottery, I meant those companies that "buy" a settlement to give you your money (after their cut) in one check instead of multiple payouts.  I was referencing something someone else said, not really about lottery winners, but about lawsuit winnings.  Okay, I'm confusing myself now.  Oh, and I'm old, so I would also take the lottery lump payment.

Ben Thompson! He can really play a thug when he wants to.

I don't know if the episode would have worked with just Elliot and Parker but throwing in Maria made it feel like more of a crew. The radio going out, Elliot's arm getting dislocated, not having Breanna, etc. were nice touches. A bunch of successive limitations rather than knowing everything upfront and being able to plan to some degree.

lol, I've read enough of these threads to be on alert when Noah was put into a hospital setting

I really enjoyed this one. It felt like an episode from the original series. I might even rewatch it at some point.

• Love 1