Type keyword(s) to search

Outrageous Pumpkins - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Since Halloween Wars is screwed up this year, this show has to handle the Halloween pumpkin requirement solo this year.  I was surprised at how many of them seemed to miss the point of "jack-o-lantern".  It's like they deliberately decided to ignore the requirement.  Usually on these shows when a contestant does that it's because they hold some disdain for the requirement (I hate processed food, I hate white chocolate, I hate blue, I'm too good to do that) but here none of them seemed to have a problem with jack-o-lanterns...they just didn't do them.   What several of them did have disdain for was fairy tales, with several of them boasting they never told them to their kids because they're too gruesome.   Like, get over it hothouse flowers.   They're morality tales that don't hold a candle to what kids see on TV, movies and the internet.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

Since Halloween Wars is screwed up this year, this show has to handle the Halloween pumpkin requirement solo this year.  I was surprised at how many of them seemed to miss the point of "jack-o-lantern".  It's like they deliberately decided to ignore the requirement.  Usually on these shows when a contestant does that it's because they hold some disdain for the requirement (I hate processed food, I hate white chocolate, I hate blue, I'm too good to do that) but here none of them seemed to have a problem with jack-o-lanterns...they just didn't do them.   What several of them did have disdain for was fairy tales, with several of them boasting they never told them to their kids because they're too gruesome.   Like, get over it hothouse flowers.   They're morality tales that don't hold a candle to what kids see on TV, movies and the internet.

Are we the only 2 watching??  Yes, many missed the jack-o-lantern point, it was strange. 

Happy to see some pumpkin carving, ahem (I'm looking at you, Halloween Wars!)

• Love 2

I didn’t realize that this show has a forum now! Yes, at least we get our pumpkin carving fix, but I do wish they had fulfilled the Jack o’lantern aspect and not just etched designs. The carvers all seem very talented. I have a nostalgic fondness for Lenny but love seeing the ladies do well. And (putting on my old lady hat and cane) kids these days just don’t learn or hear the fairy tales that I grew up with! I volunteer in an elementary school library and kids don’t read the actual classics anymore, whether it be novels or fairy tales. Not only did we read the fairy tales, but we had that great philosopher Bullwinkle who taught us Fractured Fairytales! Ah, good times. 

• Love 6

I don't know the names yet but I liked the outside the box thinking by some. The woman who stacked her humpty dumpty and the woman who put her pumpkins together for the Jack n Jill were really good.

• Love 3

I'm watching -- thanks to whoever got this forum for OP going!  I agree with the disdain for the disdain for fairytales crowd.  Is that Social Justice Warrior-ing and/or Virtue Signaling to be anti-fairytales, which are classics?

How can so many carvers ignore the jack-o-lantern requirement and think they'll win?  Judges want their orders followed.  You're not going to blow away a judge with your "unique" creation by failing to follow orders and requirements.

I was impressed with the winning team's creation and agreed with them winning.

• Love 3

I'm happy to see a forum for this show too.  I've always enjoyed it and it's our only show with pumpkin carving this year I guess.  I wonder if Ray Villafane will show up as a judge again.  

The somewhat arrogant guy with power tools looks like a finalist already.  I liked the woman who stacked her pumpkins but I suspect that time management will be her downfall before it's over.

22 minutes ago, mlp said:

I'm happy to see a forum for this show too.  I've always enjoyed it and it's our only show with pumpkin carving this year I guess.  I wonder if Ray Villafane will show up as a judge again.  

The somewhat arrogant guy with power tools looks like a finalist already.  I liked the woman who stacked her pumpkins but I suspect that time management will be her downfall before it's over.

Oh it would be great to see Ray judging Lenny! I hope Ray is back next year. I think last year Ray was a judge when “veteran HW carver guy whose name escapes me but you’d recognize him” competed. 

On 10/6/2021 at 4:48 PM, mlp said:

The somewhat arrogant guy with power tools looks like a finalist already. 

Power tools guy is such a show-off. Hope he doesn't win. I'm rooting for the dark haired lady carver and the Carving Competition neophyte. He struggled the first few challenges, but had a strong showing with the food challenge. The lady did a nice Marie Antoinette display. Sorry I don't remember their names. Ugh! 

• Love 2

I was interested to see the Marie Antoinette carving by the dark-haired lady, and she did not disappoint.  It was a great idea because I knew the character and the intriguing story.  I agree with the other woman going home based on the finished product.  The power tools guy is starting to act like a tool himself.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, hookedontv said:

Happy to see some pumpkin carving, ahem (I'm looking at you, Halloween Wars!)

As long as Tator isn't on this show I'm happy.

I thought that the crawling around with masks looking for the guest pumpkin was absolutely stupid, especially since all other pumpkins were able to be used.  What was the point?

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I thought that the crawling around with masks looking for the guest pumpkin was absolutely stupid, especially since all other pumpkins were able to be used.  What was the point?

Agreed.  I guess they wanted to make the contestants look like fools.  It's rather demeaning if you think about it.  Being the cynical person I am, I just figured the mask blindfolds had pinpoint holes in the eyes and they really could see.  I didn't get why the guy who picked out the green squash couldn't tell by feel that it wasn't a round pumpkin.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I didn't get why the guy who picked out the green squash couldn't tell by feel that it wasn't a round pumpkin.

I think he was looking for an elongated shape and thought it was a misshaped pumpkin.  

I liked the teacher who was eliminated but I had to agree that she was the right choice.  Right at the moment, I can't remember what the winning entry was or who made it but I do remember that I thought it was the best one.

I am so surprised at how badly Lenny under-performed on this show! He definitely deserved to go. I am rooting for the female carver. I love how the female judge keeps telling them to take a few steps back and look at their piece from a distance. Come on, people! 

• Love 3

I kept thinking I recognized Lenny but I never figured out where I'd seen him before.  I liked him but he did end up with the least impressive display despite a good idea.  I liked William's the best, especially the license plate on his car.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, mlp said:

I kept thinking I recognized Lenny but I never figured out where I'd seen him before.  I liked him but he did end up with the least impressive display despite a good idea.  I liked William's the best, especially the license plate on his car.

Lenny has appeared on the older, better versions of Halloween Wars several times.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I believe it was filmed last fall.   They have to do the shows that use pumpkins when they're in season.   This was filmed outdoors so even if it was filmed pre-vaccine they still wouldn't have needed a mask.  

Lenny was disappointing.  He's usually better so I don't know why he was off his game.  

• Love 1

Yeah I was wondering when they filmed it. This October wouldn't have made sense. I'm in prime Leaf country (Eastern Canada), and we only just now reached that state of Autumn (with so many leaves down from the trees and the obvious chill in the air). And I mean literally just now. The trees were full of leaves up until the rain storm we had over the weekend. 

So yeah, October 2020 would make sense, and the show is outdoors and has a small enough crew that they can mostly pull off COVID restrictions without being too obvious. 

• Love 3

I do think the cash prize of 25K is a little incongruous for this competition -- and for el cheapo Food Network.  The Halloween Baking Show has twice the number of contestants and twice the number of heats they have to win, and it's the same cash prize.  Not to say the prize isn't deserved, of course it is, it's just odd considering how this has been an issue in the past with FN.

I had conflicting thoughts on there being four finalists:

Sometimes when there are only two finalists or even three, you get disappointing results from one or two, and see maybe one truly great piece (not always, but in a couple of recent competitions I've watched). Four finalists increase the chance of having at least a couple of stunners. And this group in particular seem to push each other and feed off each other.

But I want more episodes. I don't know. I just have been loving this, I liked it last time, too, but I'm sad next week is the finale. 

Great season, though. And four strong finalists! Should be a good show. 

• Love 3

I was rooting for William and Titus but I knew William was out when I saw his final display.  I thought Titus would win with his scientist and contraption so I was disappointed when the arrogant guy with the chain saw won.  I have no idea what made his display the best.

• Love 2

I was rooting for Ryan and am not sure why he won. Titus had the best piece in my opinion. Couldn't understand the criticism of no movement. His pumpkin was on wheels and his rocket moved. I liked Ryan's dragon but he would've been in the weeds if Titus hadn't told him to make the remote a weapon. Too funny when they showed the clock ticking away as he explained his first piece. I didn't want William to win only because that was a huge advantage he got.

• Love 2

Of course Ryan wins, because he had power tools for each of his carvings except one where he voluntarily restrained himself in the Quick Carve, and his backstory is all about his son, Cooper.  The dragon did look awesome, but the other two guys brought it as well.  Sadly the only gal's final carve was a little underwhelming.  I was rooting for her or William or even Titus to win.  I think that male judge is a little too nit picky.  I would have liked more detailed explanation of why they chose Ryan as the winner.  The ending was just like well, the winner is ... That's it!

Apparently Alyson Hannigan is no longer hosting, and has been replaced with Sunny Anderson. Eh.

Plus, anyone who watched Halloween Wars will be thrilled to see that fan "favorite" Tator is one of the competitors lol. There are at least two other Halloween Wars vets here, too, as there usually are.

Between Sunny and Tator, I feel like this season is going to be a lot louder than previous years.

6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Apparently Alyson Hannigan is no longer hosting, and has been replaced with Sunny Anderson. Eh.

My first thought was that Sunny will be loud and self-centered and highly annoying but, I have to say, she was fine hosting her Easter baking show so maybe she'll tone it down for this one.  Tater - just yuck.  He's a good pumpkin carver but his personality is off-putting.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I've always liked Adam. Leigh seems familiar but I can't place her.

I was going to say the same thing.  Adam was on Halloween Wars more than once.  I know I've seen Leigh before but I can't remember where either.  

One of the things I like about this show is that they focus on the carvers and let us see them work rather than intersperse too much of the judges.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, mlp said:
7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I've always liked Adam. Leigh seems familiar but I can't place her.

I was going to say the same thing.  Adam was on Halloween Wars more than once.  I know I've seen Leigh before but I can't remember where either. 

One of the things I like about this show is that they focus on the carvers and let us see them work rather than intersperse too much of the judges.

Leigh has been on Halloween Wars twice (Season 2 and 4). Adam was on the regular Halloween Wars once (Season 5, on the winning team) and on the "Hayride of Horror" 3-episode special they did, which was also outside like this show.

I think the key to tolerating Tator is to ignore his talking heads, where he's more "on". When he's actually there carving, he's not so bad.

Agreed that it's nice that they keep the judges to a minimum. Sunny is very present, however.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:58 AM, tracyscott76 said:

I think the key to tolerating Tator is to ignore his talking heads, where he's more "on". When he's actually there carving, he's not so bad.

And of course his very first pumpkin had to be a self-portrait. Ugh. It's all about him.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:58 AM, tracyscott76 said:

Agreed that it's nice that they keep the judges to a minimum. Sunny is very present, however.

I did not like her at all on the show that was set at Hershey Park (I forgot the name). She was just too overwhelming of a presence. She didn't bother me on the first episode of Outrageous Pumpkins though.

I was sorry to see the first person go (I'm horrible with names). He seemed like a nice man and I was looking forward to him creating flowers out of pumpkins and incorporating them into the challenges. But the judges did made the right decision.

• Like 1

So Tator's still in it.  😒 

The First Time Ever Twosome Teams was, well, outrageous!  After all the judges' comments and critiques as the carvers were creating their 3D Haunted Houses, I was sure that Leila and Alan would win, and they did.  They deserved it.  The cauldrons, made from pumpkins, with steam coming up from them was a great finishing touch to an otherwise well-done creation.  That actually followed the judges' rules!

I felt bad for Carli and she was so sweet at the end.  It was Adam's fault they missed the mark so I'm glad he was the one to go.

I feel like Tator is a show favorite.  I also think the teams were not picked at random because we didn't get to see the "random placement" of keys with the contestants' names on them; just Sunny pulling them out.  I bet the producers planned it so both women wouldn't get to be a team.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Adam is talented but his concept was all wrong for the brief and it wasn't even attractive.  Sending him home was the right decision.  The winners totally deserved it but I was sorry one of them was Leigh.  She spent the first few minutes of the team event complaining and criticizing her partner about the hay bales then got all bent out of shape because he said something about the head being small on a character she was carving which affronted her creative aesthetic or some damn thing.  Obviously, she can dish it out but not take it.  I'd hate to work with her.

Tator isn't as annoying as he was on Halloween Wars.  What saves him in my mind is that he's very good at what he does.  I hate his scraggy beard though.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Adam is talented but his concept was all wrong for the brief and it wasn't even attractive.  Sending him home was the right decision.  The winners totally deserved it but I was sorry one of them was Leigh.  She spent the first few minutes of the team event complaining and criticizing her partner about the hay bales then got all bent out of shape because he said something about the head being small on a character she was carving which affronted her creative aesthetic or some damn thing.  Obviously, she can dish it out but not take it.  I'd hate to work with her.

Tator isn't as annoying as he was on Halloween Wars.  What saves him in my mind is that he's very good at what he does.  I hate his scraggy beard though.

Leigh did ramp up the drama with their little spat but she wasn't that bad and relented at the end.  I thought she made a good point about the hay bales but thankfully it worked out.  I chalked up Leigh's behavior to temperamental artist.  Springing the team requirement on them was detrimental to some of the contestants because they prefer to work alone.

I always wish we could see what could have been the proper finished product if it weren't for the time constraints.  Part of the challenge of this type of competition is time management, I know, but I don't like the producer-driven last minute or additional "challenges" in the middle of their carving and building time.

Tator's "lush red" beard creeps me out.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hate team challenges on all shows—this show, baking shows, Top Chef, Project Runway, etc.  Any show where a lone person is deemed the winner should have challenges in which a person competes on his/her own. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I hate team challenges on all shows—this show, baking shows, Top Chef, Project Runway, etc.  Any show where a lone person is deemed the winner should have challenges in which a person competes on his/her own. 

Yeah, I don't like forcing people to team up and then breaking them up by sending one of them home.

I have noticed that they do not mention a money prize this season..just the title and a ridiculous belt. FN has gotten cheap. Halloween wars is giving away a trip to Paris to the team, so is that 3 separate trips or do they go together. Lol. Also,the prizes went from $50k in years past to 25 recently. Now it is a trip or a belt.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 10/10/2022 at 11:33 PM, cls said:

I have noticed that they do not mention a money prize this season..just the title and a ridiculous belt. FN has gotten cheap. Halloween wars is giving away a trip to Paris to the team, so is that 3 separate trips or do they go together. Lol. Also,the prizes went from $50k in years past to 25 recently. Now it is a trip or a belt.

I was confused about this.  In the first episode, they mentioned the prize was a belt (and bragging rights), which made me say out loud, "That's all?"  But in the episode that aired this week, 25K was mentioned.

Why do they have to fake the weather…it’s fooling no one.

It’s ridiculous when Sunny is wearing earmuffs and scarf while several of the contestants are either in t shirts or sleeveless tops. It even “looks” hot wherever they are…….

Just let them carve and stop the pretense!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, bioprof said:

Why do they have to fake the weather…it’s fooling no one.

It’s ridiculous when Sunny is wearing earmuffs and scarf while several of the contestants are either in t shirts or sleeveless tops. It even “looks” hot wherever they are…….

To be fair, today I'm wearing a turtleneck with a medium weight sweater over it.  I wore a medium weight rain coat (zipped up) to work. My husband is wearing a short sleeve oxford shirt. He wore a lightweight raincoat (like a windbreaker) not zipped. If it wasn't raining he wouldn't have been wearing a jacket at all and I would have been wearing the same coat I was wearing.

Good bye Alan. I'll never understand why contestants (not just this show -- any competition) completely ignore the comments of the judges. His idea was cute but he lost the minute he decided he was going to spend his time on the background rather than carving the pumpkins.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

According to what I can find online, this show is filmed around November of the prior year.  Season 1 was in New York, season 2 was in Virginia.  I imagine it's at least cool when these film but I'm sure they're amping that up.   People have different cold tolerances and the carvers can't be in big puffy parkas to work so I don't think it's as egregious as some other FN shenanigans.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Maverick said:

According to what I can find online, this show is filmed around November of the prior year.  Season 1 was in New York, season 2 was in Virginia.  I imagine it's at least cool when these film but I'm sure they're amping that up.   People have different cold tolerances and the carvers can't be in big puffy parkas to work so I don't think it's as egregious as some other FN shenanigans.  

Plus Sunny is just standing around while the carvers are working hard.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I think this is going to come down to Tator and the big guy whose name I can't remember right now.  They're both very good.  

Alan seemed like a nice fellow but he didn't appear to have the skill set of most of the others.  He was getting ahead because others did something worse.  I imagine the woman with short bleached hair will go next.  Her skill level is closer to Alan's than to the others who are left.

• Love 3

Alan sealed his fate when he ignored the judges' constant comments to him.  When you think you're the smartest person in the room, or in the pumpkin patch, and go rogue because you're so creative, special or whatever, the judges don't like it!  Follow judges' orders!

I think Tator will win, or be edged out by the other big guy on a technicality that can't be ignored, but he does do great work.  It's his mugging for the camera and that icky red beard that annoys me.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think Tator will win, or be edged out by the other big guy on a technicality that can't be ignored, but he does do great work.  It's his mugging for the camera and that icky red beard that annoys me.

Not to mention how he carves every pumpkin to look like himself!  I'm half hoping he'll win this one so he'll go away.

Edited by Rammchick
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I was a major Tator hater (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it) during his Halloween Wars appearances, and I was fully prepared to feel the same way on this show. During the first episode it really bothered me that he carved a self-portrait. But now I find myself actually rooting for him. I'm not sure if he's mellowing or if I'm appreciating his skills. He's very creative and no one else seems to be able to use as many different vegatables or to work as quickly as he does. But the beard just icks me out.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I was a major Tator hater (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it) during his Halloween Wars appearances, and I was fully prepared to feel the same way on this show. During the first episode it really bothered me that he carved a self-portrait. But now I find myself actually rooting for him. I'm not sure if he's mellowing or if I'm appreciating his skills. He's very creative and no one else seems to be able to use as many different vegatables or to work as quickly as he does. But the beard just icks me out.

Yeah, same here! I can’t believe I’m rooting for him. 🤣 I try to keep in mind that TPTB tell contestants to ramp up the crazy so maybe he went overboard with it in the past. But he doesn’t bother me here.

• Like 2

I'm happy for Eric.  He totally deserved his win.  Tator is very good but all that black detracted from his carving.  I'll be happy to see either of them, or both, again.

• Love 1

It's a PUMPKIN show, which is a FALL harvest... the weather isn't faked and they carve into the night. As Maverick mentioned carving a pumpkin,  especially within a designated time, would break a sweat. The haters on Sunny are ridiculous. I frankly liked her presence.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm happy for Eric.  He totally deserved his win.  Tator is very good but all that black detracted from his carving.  I'll be happy to see either of them, or both, again.

I instantly noticed Tator's disappointment in the back... Eric is very talented and I 100% believe he deserved the win. Any bad move can send them home but he's the only one I would have been concerned (about the show) if he weren't in the finale.

• Like 1