Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Outrageous Pumpkins

Since Halloween Wars is screwed up this year, this show has to handle the Halloween pumpkin requirement solo this year.  I was surprised at how many of them seemed to miss the point of "jack-o-lantern".  It's like they deliberately decided to ignore the requirement.  Usually on these shows when a contestant does that it's because they hold some disdain for the requirement (I hate processed food, I hate white chocolate, I hate blue, I'm too good to do that) but here none of them seemed to have a problem with jack-o-lanterns...they just didn't do them.   What several of them did have disdain for was fairy tales, with several of them boasting they never told them to their kids because they're too gruesome.   Like, get over it hothouse flowers.   They're morality tales that don't hold a candle to what kids see on TV, movies and the internet.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Maverick said:

Since Halloween Wars is screwed up this year, this show has to handle the Halloween pumpkin requirement solo this year.  I was surprised at how many of them seemed to miss the point of "jack-o-lantern".  It's like they deliberately decided to ignore the requirement.  Usually on these shows when a contestant does that it's because they hold some disdain for the requirement (I hate processed food, I hate white chocolate, I hate blue, I'm too good to do that) but here none of them seemed to have a problem with jack-o-lanterns...they just didn't do them.   What several of them did have disdain for was fairy tales, with several of them boasting they never told them to their kids because they're too gruesome.   Like, get over it hothouse flowers.   They're morality tales that don't hold a candle to what kids see on TV, movies and the internet.

Are we the only 2 watching??  Yes, many missed the jack-o-lantern point, it was strange. 

Happy to see some pumpkin carving, ahem (I'm looking at you, Halloween Wars!)

• Like 2

I didn’t realize that this show has a forum now! Yes, at least we get our pumpkin carving fix, but I do wish they had fulfilled the Jack o’lantern aspect and not just etched designs. The carvers all seem very talented. I have a nostalgic fondness for Lenny but love seeing the ladies do well. And (putting on my old lady hat and cane) kids these days just don’t learn or hear the fairy tales that I grew up with! I volunteer in an elementary school library and kids don’t read the actual classics anymore, whether it be novels or fairy tales. Not only did we read the fairy tales, but we had that great philosopher Bullwinkle who taught us Fractured Fairytales! Ah, good times. 

• Like 6

I don't know the names yet but I liked the outside the box thinking by some. The woman who stacked her humpty dumpty and the woman who put her pumpkins together for the Jack n Jill were really good.

• Like 3

I'm watching -- thanks to whoever got this forum for OP going!  I agree with the disdain for the disdain for fairytales crowd.  Is that Social Justice Warrior-ing and/or Virtue Signaling to be anti-fairytales, which are classics?

How can so many carvers ignore the jack-o-lantern requirement and think they'll win?  Judges want their orders followed.  You're not going to blow away a judge with your "unique" creation by failing to follow orders and requirements.

I was impressed with the winning team's creation and agreed with them winning.

• Like 3

I'm happy to see a forum for this show too.  I've always enjoyed it and it's our only show with pumpkin carving this year I guess.  I wonder if Ray Villafane will show up as a judge again.  

The somewhat arrogant guy with power tools looks like a finalist already.  I liked the woman who stacked her pumpkins but I suspect that time management will be her downfall before it's over.

22 minutes ago, mlp said:

I'm happy to see a forum for this show too.  I've always enjoyed it and it's our only show with pumpkin carving this year I guess.  I wonder if Ray Villafane will show up as a judge again.  

The somewhat arrogant guy with power tools looks like a finalist already.  I liked the woman who stacked her pumpkins but I suspect that time management will be her downfall before it's over.

Oh it would be great to see Ray judging Lenny! I hope Ray is back next year. I think last year Ray was a judge when “veteran HW carver guy whose name escapes me but you’d recognize him” competed. 

On 10/6/2021 at 4:48 PM, mlp said:

The somewhat arrogant guy with power tools looks like a finalist already. 

Power tools guy is such a show-off. Hope he doesn't win. I'm rooting for the dark haired lady carver and the Carving Competition neophyte. He struggled the first few challenges, but had a strong showing with the food challenge. The lady did a nice Marie Antoinette display. Sorry I don't remember their names. Ugh! 

• Like 2

I was interested to see the Marie Antoinette carving by the dark-haired lady, and she did not disappoint.  It was a great idea because I knew the character and the intriguing story.  I agree with the other woman going home based on the finished product.  The power tools guy is starting to act like a tool himself.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, hookedontv said:

Happy to see some pumpkin carving, ahem (I'm looking at you, Halloween Wars!)

As long as Tator isn't on this show I'm happy.

I thought that the crawling around with masks looking for the guest pumpkin was absolutely stupid, especially since all other pumpkins were able to be used.  What was the point?

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I thought that the crawling around with masks looking for the guest pumpkin was absolutely stupid, especially since all other pumpkins were able to be used.  What was the point?

Agreed.  I guess they wanted to make the contestants look like fools.  It's rather demeaning if you think about it.  Being the cynical person I am, I just figured the mask blindfolds had pinpoint holes in the eyes and they really could see.  I didn't get why the guy who picked out the green squash couldn't tell by feel that it wasn't a round pumpkin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I didn't get why the guy who picked out the green squash couldn't tell by feel that it wasn't a round pumpkin.

I think he was looking for an elongated shape and thought it was a misshaped pumpkin.  

I liked the teacher who was eliminated but I had to agree that she was the right choice.  Right at the moment, I can't remember what the winning entry was or who made it but I do remember that I thought it was the best one.

I am so surprised at how badly Lenny under-performed on this show! He definitely deserved to go. I am rooting for the female carver. I love how the female judge keeps telling them to take a few steps back and look at their piece from a distance. Come on, people! 

• Like 3

I kept thinking I recognized Lenny but I never figured out where I'd seen him before.  I liked him but he did end up with the least impressive display despite a good idea.  I liked William's the best, especially the license plate on his car.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mlp said:

I kept thinking I recognized Lenny but I never figured out where I'd seen him before.  I liked him but he did end up with the least impressive display despite a good idea.  I liked William's the best, especially the license plate on his car.

Lenny has appeared on the older, better versions of Halloween Wars several times.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I believe it was filmed last fall.   They have to do the shows that use pumpkins when they're in season.   This was filmed outdoors so even if it was filmed pre-vaccine they still wouldn't have needed a mask.  

Lenny was disappointing.  He's usually better so I don't know why he was off his game.  

• Like 1

Yeah I was wondering when they filmed it. This October wouldn't have made sense. I'm in prime Leaf country (Eastern Canada), and we only just now reached that state of Autumn (with so many leaves down from the trees and the obvious chill in the air). And I mean literally just now. The trees were full of leaves up until the rain storm we had over the weekend. 

So yeah, October 2020 would make sense, and the show is outdoors and has a small enough crew that they can mostly pull off COVID restrictions without being too obvious. 

• Like 2