Type keyword(s) to search

Cabinet Of Curiosities - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Guillermo del Toro has curated a collection of unprecedented and genre-defining stories meant to challenge our traditional notions of horror. From macabre to magical, gothic to grotesque or classically creepy, these eight sophisticated and sinister tales (including two by del Toro) will be brought to life by a team of writers and directors personally chosen by del Toro.

Netflix

cabinet.jpg

Cabinet of Curiosities is a forthcoming Netflix horror anthology series from Guillermo del Toro that was formerly titled "Guillermo del Toro Presents 10 After Midnight". It is an eight-episode show described as follows "Guillermo del Toro has curated a collection of unprecedented and genre-defining stories meant to challenge our traditional notions of horror. From macabre to magical, gothic to grotesque or classically creepy, these eight equally sophisticated and sinister tales (including two original works by Guillermo del Toro) will be brought to life by a team of writers and directors personally chosen by Guillermo del Toro." Production on the series is already underway in Toronto. Guillermo del Toro is the creator, co-executive producer with Regina Corrado, and co-showrunner with J. Miles Dale and Gary Ungar.

E-SeH3kVEAI3qrL?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 1: Essie Davis, Andrew Lincoln, and Hannah Galway star in an episode based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro and directed by Jennifer Kent

E-SeR6CVkAYgxRf?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 2: F. Murray Abraham, Glynn Turman, and Luke Roberts will appear in an episode written by David S. Goyer, based on a short story by Michael Shea, and directed by David Prior

E-SeYrYUcAYBXyo?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 3: Tim Blake Nelson, Elpidia Carrillo, Demetrius Grosse, and Sebastian Roché star in an episode written by Regina Corrado, based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro, and directed by Guillermo Navarro

E-SehU4VgAEF8h6?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 4: Crispin Glover and Ben Barnes star in an episode written by Lee Patterson, based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft, and directed by Keith Thomas

E-Sfk7tVIAUA73B?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 5: Peter Weller stars in an episode written by Aaron Stewart-Ahn and Panos Cosmatos, who is also the director.

E-Sfz8cVQAg62Dg?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 6: is written by Mika Watkins and directed by Catherine Hardwicke.

E-Sf6lDVQAEvDYB?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 7: David Hewlett appears in an episode based on a short story by Henry Kuttner and directed by Vincenzo Natali

E-SgBeaUYAUc3G7?format=jpg&name=900x900

Episode 8: is written by Haley Z. Boston, based on a short story by Emily Caroll, directed by Ana Lily Amipour.

Cabinet-Logo-Replacer_Alpha-2X_rev_3.jpg

Cabinet of Curiosities     October 25, 2022     Netflix        8 episodes

“Cabinet of Curiosities” will roll out as a four-day, double-episode Netflix & Chills Halloween event, beginning with two episodes debuting on Oct. 25 and running through to Oct. 28.

There is a possibility that this may not be the order in which they are shown.

S01.E01: The Murmuring

cabinet-of-curiosities-3.jpg

Hannah Galway
Essie Davis, Andrew Lincoln, and Hannah Galway star in an episode based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro and directed by Jennifer Kent

Original Air Date: October 25, 2022  

S01.E02: The Autopsy 

cabinet-of-curiosities-4.jpg

F. Murray Abraham, Glynn Turman, and Luke Roberts will appear in an episode written by David S. Goyer, based on a short story by Michael Shea, and directed by David Prior

Original Air Date: October 25, 2022  

S01.E03: Lot 36

cabinet-of-curiosities-7.jpg

Tim Blake Nelson, Elpidia Carrillo, Demetrius Grosse, and Sebastian Roché star in an episode written by Regina Corrado, based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro, and directed by Guillermo Navarro

Original Air Date: October 26, 2022  

S01.E04: Pickman’s Model

cabinet-of-curiosities-8.jpg

Ben Barnes as Thurber
Crispin Glover, Ben Barnes and Oriana Leman star in an episode written by Lee Patterson, based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft, and directed by Keith Thomas

Original Air Date: October 26, 2022

S01.E05: The Viewing

cabinet-of-curiosities-5.jpg

Peter Weller, Eric André, Sofia Boutella, Charlyne Yi, Steve Agee, Michael Therrialt and Saad Siddiqui stars in an episode written by Aaron Stewart-Ahn and Panos Cosmatos, who is also the director.

Original Air Date: October 27, 2022  

S01.E06: Dreams in the Witch House

cabinet-of-curiosities-netflix.jpg

Lize Johnston as Keziah/Witch

Rupert Grint, Ismael Cruz Cordova, DJ Qualls, Nia Vardalos and Tenika Davis stars in an episode written by Mika Watkins and directed by Catherine Hardwicke.

Original Air Date: October 27, 2022  

S01.E07: Graveyard Rats

cabinet-of-curiosities-guillermo-del-tor
David Hewlett as Masson

David Hewlett appears in an episode based on a short story by Henry Kuttner and directed by Vincenzo Natali

Original Air Date: October 28, 2022

S01.E08: The Outside

cabinet-of-curiosities-1.jpg

Lize Johnston as Lotion Woman

Kate Micucci and Martin Starr stars in an episode written by Haley Z. Boston, based on a short story by Emily Caroll, directed by Ana Lily Amipour.

Original Air Date: October 28, 2022  

Edited by AnimeMania

Cabinet of Curiosities: Scavengers    October 25, 2022    Netflix     

Episodes 1-2      Titles and Descriptions

S01.E01: Lot 36

S01.E02: Graveyard Rats

Cabinet of Curiosities: Loners     October 26, 2022    Netflix     

Episodes 3-4      Titles and Descriptions

S01.E03: The Autopsy

S01.E04: The Outside

Cabinet of Curiosities: Lovecraft   October 27, 2022     Netflix     

Episodes 5-6      Titles and Descriptions

S01.E05: Pickman’s Model

S01.E06: Dreams in the Witch House

Cabinet of Curiosities: Visitations   October 28, 2022     Netflix     

Episodes 7-8      Titles and Descriptions

S01.E07: The Viewing

S01.E08: The Murmuring 

(Season Finale)

Cabinet Of Curiosities: Graveyard Rats Cast
David Hewlett As Masson
Julian Richings As Dooley
Ish Morris as Harry 
Alexander Eling as Burton
Nabeel El Khafif as Hans Overfist 
Brigitte Robinson as the widow
Cory Bertrand as the widow's son

Episode 1 was entertaining, but my hubby wasn't impressed.  In thinking about it, I guess because it's an anthology show, you can't put a lot of info in the episodes.  There just seems to be too much info of one kind and not enough of another (like what was the point of the Spanish lady at all - way too much info that didn't go anywhere and then the whole Nazi thing and background on the sister was was a couple old pictures, 3 news articles we only saw headlines for a quick exposition from weirdo guy?)  It could have been tighter and more concise.  

BUT - I'll still continue to watch because it's fun!  :)

• Love 4

I've been disappointed by the first two episodes - granted, my expectations were very high.   They haven't been bad, just OK.

15 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

(like what was the point of the Spanish lady at all - way too much info that didn't go anywhere and then the whole Nazi thing and background on the sister was was a couple old pictures, 3 news articles we only saw headlines for a quick exposition from weirdo guy?) 

Exactly my feeling on this one.  We didn't need the Spanish lady (role could have been fulfilled by the guy running the storage) and we didn't need two antique dealers.   We didn't need so much hanging out with the asshole protagonist.  A predictable show can still be entertaining but this was def too long.  Watching the old guy hop around on the video was fun and I guess was needed to keep the demon sister imprisoned.  I would have liked more backstory on the items in storage and less time spend with asshole being miserable.

The rat episode was tighter and more fun (thought the rat effects were terrible).  The corpse wailing "mine, mine!" made me laugh, as did our protagonist occasionally.  Too bad he didn't make it out; grave robber or no, I was kind of rooting for him.  The actor did a great job though.   I liked it better than Lot 36 but it was just OK.

I like this kind of stuff so I'll be watching them all.   Maybe it would have been more interesting to see a common thread through each episode - one of the antique dealers, for example.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I keep feeling like I'm missing large pieces of information while watching this. And I'm a major horror anthology enthusiast. The visuals are exactly what I'd expect from Guillermo del Toro, the acting is fine, but the story telling is "meh". I'll keep watching though. 

• Love 3

I agree with the above assessments of the first two episodes. There were some really intriguing premise elements in Episode 1, but it just took forever to get going, and we needed less time with the asshole Tim Blake Nelson character, and a bit more time on the contents of the storage unit and backstory. I too, was confused about the Spanish speaking woman, and felt she was unnecessary to the story. What was her connection to the supposed German immigrant family with the dark past? There were a lot of dropped threads, and it felt like it just needed a couple of re-writes to tighten things up.

Episode 2 was also slow starting, but it was amusing and became much more fun as the story progressed. The lead actor did a great job, and the crawling skeleton totally made me laugh. I could see where it was headed, but I still enjoyed this one more than the first episode. It definitely had a Creepshow vibe to it.

I can't say that I'm surprised by unevenness, since Del Toro's films are kind of up and down for me - from fantastical and enthralling (Pan's Labyrinth, The Shape of Water) to goofy and disappointing (Crimson Peak). It seems like he might be a good idea and visual generator, but needs help with writing.

So far these have been middling, but enjoyable and entertaining enough for me to continue. I really like the intros that Guillermo del Toro does at the beginning with the cabinet prop and little miniatures to represent each story - he has a very affable presence.

• Love 1

It reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I used to love that series, when I was a kid (the reboot in the 80s). The one that stands out for me, was the woman arranging an escape from prison, through the laundry service, and she wakes up underground, buried alive. 

I haven't really been the mood for the strange tone of it all, so I stopped a little while into episode four. I will get back to it.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2022 at 7:43 AM, raven said:

Watching the old guy hop around on the video was fun and I guess was needed to keep the demon sister imprisoned. 

I was hoping for more on this - like watching the video again to try to get it down.  And it didn't seem to mean ANYTHING because it was the main character's brushing the red sand/salt away that allowed the demon to get up and out.  So weird.  We could have lost the Spanish lady and had one of the dealers say "yeah - with this demon, there is a dance you have to do..." which would make the main character go back and learn it.

• Love 2

I watched "The Autopsy" last night and think that was the best so far of the three I've seen.  There's still extraneous material (why does the guy who gets alien infected be some random hiker...more wasted expo, he could have just been a miner in the first place) but once the autopsy begins, we go totally off the rails in an entertaining way.  It is extremely gory, complete with squish noises, but F. Murry Abraham does a great job and I don't want to say too much more.   It is also tense and kind of scary.

4 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

So weird.

Right??  It seemed like we were building to something interesting but..not so much. 

• Love 2

What shocked me was how fat Del Toro has gotten.  He was practically waddling in the intros and almost seemed out of breath at times, although that could just be his hesitant manner of speaking in English.  I'm wondering if he was wearing a fat suit to emulate Hitchcock's appearance on his classic show.

I've always liked anthology shows because if you don't like one episode, chances are you'll like the next one, having a different cast and story.  I'm not really a fan of horror because I find the themes predictable but I liked this series primarily because of the quality of the production.  It looked expensive and polished.  I can't help wondering though how much of what we see is just green screen these days.

I just watched the first two so far and liked the first better. The Spanish lady was there to provide Karma; he wouldn’t help her so she didn’t help him. I assume the Nazi stuff tied into the occult but I wasn’t sure why we saw the beginning with the old guy chopping up snakes or whatever he was doing. I sort of liked the grave digger guy in episode two but it was so obvious as to what would happen, I was hoping for a twist. So both episodes were about shady characters who owe money to violent people. Hope we get some other stories .

It was awful what that old guy did to his sister.  When the German said that he gave his sister to the demon, I was expecting for her to be possessed by it.  I was not expecting to see that her body was a meat puppet for the thing.  I wonder what happened after the demon ate the greedy guy?  Would it stay there and eat everyone that comes it way? I hope not, the manager of the facility seemed like the only good guy.

Greed seemed to be the primary motivator for the grave robber too.  He owned the cemetery, but didn't have enough cash to pay back a gambling debt? It must have been a chronic issue.  I would not have crawled through unstable tunnels just to get a sword.  I laughed when he ended up shooting his own foot.  If he was concerned about paying back his debt, what he picked up from the bones should have covered it.  Why on earth would he pick up a sinister looking jewel from a Satanic church?  His death was terrible, and I felt sorry for him.

Yuck at the third episode, too many spider shots and too many gross scenes.  I had to turn away for much of it.  I had to take a break from watching the remaining episodes.

I liked the third episode "The Autopsy". It had some scenes that I had to look away from (pretty gory explicit stuff), but I felt the writing was really strong in this episode.  Excellent acting as well. As some reviewers  have mentioned, it was nice to see a really intelligent protagonist. F. Murray Abraham did a fantastic job in the role - he managed to convey both dignity and pathos.

I enjoyed the first half to two-thirds of "Outside". I really got a kick out of the set design and period detail - it looked like they had set the story in the late 80's or early 90's, back in the pre-internet era when TV infomercials had become really big. I remember that time well! A nice performance from Martin Starr as a loving supportive husband bewildered by his wife's sudden obsession with cosmetics. Poor dude did not deserve his fate. That's where the episode lost me. I was enjoying it up until then.

I was disappointed in Pickman's Model. I hadn't read the H.P. Lovecraft story it was based on, so I can't comment on how it compares with the episode. It had great period detail and production design, along with a few good jump scares, but I found the lead actor pretty bland. Normally I LOVE Crispin Glover, but he was trying to pull off some bizarro accent that was completely distracting and didn't work at all. If the characters hadn't attempted  hammy Massachusetts. accents I would have been much more engaged. A pity, because the visuals were effective and it had an interesting premise.

I think I have three more to go. Overall so far, I'd say I'd give this series a C+. Was hoping for a bit better, but would like to finish the whole thing out.

Just watched the last episode, The Murmuring and thought it was the best one by far. A beautiful study of grief along with a haunted house theme and amazing acting. I would recommend this one even to people who don’t like horror. The rest of the episodes were just Ok to me and relied on a creature way too much.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Just watched the last episode, The Murmuring and thought it was the best one by far. A beautiful study of grief along with a haunted house theme and amazing acting.

I really liked this one as well. I know a lot of younger viewers with short attention spans will trash it for being boring, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great acting AND beautiful production design. There's nothing I love more than a traditional ghost/haunted house story, and i absolutely loved the haunted house they designed - it was perfect.

Haven't watched The Viewing, and will probably skip Dreams in the Witch House entirely, since reviews are pretty abysmal for that one.

Overall, I enjoyed the series and would give a second season a go, if Del Toro does another one next year. He selected some terrific actors.

• Love 3

So far, the only episode I've liked was The Autopsy.  I like evil getting its glorious comeuppance.  I'm watching The Viewing and I'm bored.  I like. The haunting episode until the rat familiar lived. That little so and so needed to be stomped. 

As it stands right now, this is about 1/7 for me.

• Love 2

The fourth episode is too strange.  I had an unpleasant reminder of "Annihilation" when the lotion creature appeared.  I had to put a pillow to my face!  I felt really badly for the husband, who kept trying to reassure his wife.  I wasn't sure if she was imagining the TV talking to her, since they made a note of her hearing noises in the house.

I cringed really hard when Stacy gave a taxidermy duck to the shallow woman. 

What the hell was that ending?

• Like 1
On 11/2/2022 at 4:53 PM, Madding crowd said:

Just watched the last episode, The Murmuring and thought it was the best one by far. A beautiful study of grief along with a haunted house theme and amazing acting. I would recommend this one even to people who don’t like horror. The rest of the episodes were just Ok to me and relied on a creature way too much.

A lot of people didn't like it because no stabbing every five seconds. I thought it was a lovely episode.  I loved that she came to terms finally when she felt a connection with the woman/ghost and felt a release. She's able to love again.

• Love 2

I seem to be in the minority because I thought The Murmuring was just ok. Some of my horror favorites are slow burn movies about grief (The Night House, The Orphanage, The Changeling) and it looked beautiful, but I thought it was boring, predictable and the ending kind of cheesy. I also didn't like Andrew Lincoln's performance, so wasn't very invested in his relationship with Essie Davis's character. It's definitely watchable and may well be the best of the series from what everyone is saying. The only other episode I've finished is Lot 36, which I also thought was fine but like The Murmuring didn't live up to my expectations based on my love of Guillermo del Toro's previous work, especially Cronos and The Devil's Backbone.

Edited by krankydoodle
On 11/1/2022 at 3:19 AM, Cheezwiz said:

Normally I LOVE Crispin Glover, but he was trying to pull off some bizarro accent that was completely distracting and didn't work at all. If the characters hadn't attempted  hammy Massachusetts. accents I would have been much more engaged

Yes, what WAS that??  The terrible accents were so distracting. 

I still have "The Murmuring" to watch; I've seen all the others.   Across the board, the atmosphere and production are excellent.  The episodes look great. The performances are all good (terrible accents aside).  The problems are script related.   "Pickman's Model", for example, is a short, tight story.  There's no need to stretch it out to an hour and throw in cannibalism with a predictable ending and what have you.   I actually dozed off a couple of times during "The Viewing" - easily my least favorite.   I would have liked "The Outside" better but we didn't need endless scenes of smushy lotion and Stacey with a red face.  I did enjoy Dan Stevens talking to her through the TV.   I did wonder about the police - after she stabbed the husband in the face, he called police, who were even trying to get his attention while she killed him.  I kept expecting them to to turn up. 

On 11/4/2022 at 11:14 PM, peridot said:

What the hell was that ending?

I took at as either 1) she realized what she had done and that her life was now not so awesome after all or 2) the whole thing was in her head

The only ones that made good use of an hour's run time were "The Autopsy" and "Dreams in the Witch House'.   I've read a lot of Lovecraft, though I don't recall the "Dreams" story, so maybe I would be more critical if I did.  I felt that it moved at a good pace, was sufficiently creepy, and I was engaged throughout. 

It does seem that if the protagonist is a dick (Lot 36, Graveyard Rats, The Viewing) or disengaged with the world (The Outside, Dreams, Pickman's Model to an extent) you're going to have a nasty ending that's not of your own choice, unlike in "The Autopsy".  In that one, our protag at least went out trying to save the world from that one alien (and succeeding, because that's how I want to interpret it).  :D

• Love 3
11 hours ago, raven said:

I did enjoy Dan Stevens talking to her through the TV.

That was the only good part. I realize a lot of people didn't like the murmuring, but I did like it, in a kind of "when will this end" kind of way.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, nokat said:

That was the only good part. I realize a lot of people didn't like the murmuring, but I did like it, in a kind of "when will this end" kind of way.

I watched it today and I liked it.   I liked the birds and thought Essie Davis and Andrew Lincoln were a believable couple and had good chemistry.  Like all the other episodes, the performances were good and it was visually beautiful. 

I would rate (best to worst) - Autopsy; Murmuring; Dreams; Rats; Outside; Pickman's/Lot 36 (interchangeable); Viewing.

Except for The Viewing, the episodes had positive points and just needed different levels of tweaking.    Despite the unevenness, there were enough good things that I would give a second season a shot.   

• Love 2
14 hours ago, raven said:

"The Autopsy".  In that one, our protag at least went out trying to save the world from that one alien (and succeeding, because that's how I want to interpret it).  :D

I love the actor and the episode. True buildup of tension. I interpret it as he sacrificed himself and took the alien with him.  The fight he had as he killed the alien. If that isn't a hero, I don't know who is.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I watched Grint's episode. The story is based in Massachusetts, but we have a Navajo calling him a bilagaana (Navajo, or Dine, for white person) and giving him the magic elixir. What is a Navajo doing in Massachusetts? Did the writers just not care and insert any old Indian into the story? Native people consider this kind of behavior a microaggression.

Pickman's Model was interesting.  I had to look away when they kept zooming in on the haunted portrait.  I jumped when the ghost appeared at the garden party.  I was surprised when the episode jumped almost twenty years into the future, and the protagonist was married to the woman who threw him out.  Did Pickman deliberately unleash the spirits/demons, or was it an unintended side effect of his paintings?

In Witch House, I hated Walter was so nasty to his friend who was just trying to help him.  No one seemed phased by seeing a human face on a rat.  Walter was so obsessed with his sister that he stopped trying to live.  I don't know what he hoped to achieve when he brought his sister back to the real world.  I'm glad the artist tried to snap some sense into him. The scene were Kaziah pulled him to her at the church was pretty creepy. I wonder who took Kaziah's body and hid it inside the house.  I thought it was the rat, but his corpse was in the attic too.

The Viewing was such a drag.  I paused multiple times to get up and do something else.  I'm surprised that the people were so willing to indulge the collector.  If they had my favorite drink sitting out, I would be freaked out.  They just kept drinking, smoking, and snorting.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:08 PM, peridot said:

Did Pickman deliberately unleash the spirits/demons, or was it an unintended side effect of his paintings?

I haven't read the H.P. Lovecraft short story that it was based on, but from what I understand, Pickman was  a loner absorbed in his work who wasn't intentionally trying to unleash chaos and insanity on anyone else, he was simply painting horrifying things as he saw them. Horrifying things that turned out to be real and part of his existence - his own "family members" so to speak.

I thought it was a pretty decent episode, but am still face-palming the nutty accent Crispin Glover adopted. Normally when he does off-the-wall stuff in his performances it somehow totally works (see River's Edge as an example), but this time it didn't, and took me right out of the episode.

I honestly think Lovecraft is pretty tough to adapt to film or television, since most of his writing deals with people confronting things so horrific that they all go insane. How do you depict that effectively on screen for an audience? It's always going to be a bit of a let-down.

On 11/10/2022 at 2:45 PM, kn51 said:

OK, watched The Viewing.

What the hell did I just watch?  

Yea, we just watched it last night and felt the same. It did have a good atmosphere that fit the time period but still. 

Overall, we have been pretty underwhelmed by most of the episodes. My husband is very familiar with Lovecraft and said they changed too much in his two stories. We only have The Murmuring to watch. I think I liked three episodes, the storage one, the rats and the autopsy. If there is a second series, I hope it is better. JMHO. 

• Love 1

I was sucked into watching this due to the Guillermo Del Toro name and also it being the only new horror-esque show on Netflix. I enjoyed a few of the episodes but was mostly underwhelmed by the lack of actual "horror". Favorites for me were "The Autopsy" (a little slow at first but the ending with the alien creature and the forensic pathologist was pretty scary), "The Viewing" (love the style and humor, and the creature at the end was fun), and "Pickman's Model" (the paintings were scary and acting was good). Middle of the pack were "The Murmuring" (good acting, Andrew Lincoln was great, a little slow-paced), "The Outside" (fun story, was nice to see Matthew from Downton Abbey as the Alo Glo guy) and "Lot 36" (good story, main protagonist was annoying). Worst of the lot: "Graveyard Rats" (not interesting and the giant rat at the end was laughably bad) and "Dreams in the Witch House" (nice to see Ron Weasley all grown up, but the story was boring and weak, and the rat with the face was annoying and stupid).

There were some moments I enjoyed overall, but unless they dial up the "horror" aspect, I doubt I will return to watch if there is a season 2.

Edited by Mattipoo
Typo
(edited)

Guillermo del Toro is so fucking overrated.  I think people just like dropping his name, thinking it makes them sound sophisticated.

I read all these great reviews of Autopsy being "the best" ("the best, Jerry!") of the series, so I watched it.   Just a drawn-out, dreary story gussied up with guts and gore.   The movie Significant Other did this concept 100% better.

Then I watched The Outside, because it started autoplaying next.   If not for Dan Stevens' highly entertaining turn as the Alo Glo guy, I might have just clawed my eyes out by the end, having become so uncomfortably numbed that I would need that level of shock and pain to restore me to full awareness.

Jordan Peele's another over-hyped genre personality.

I wish these self-important idiots would take their pretentious "showcases," whether it be Cabinet or The Twilight Zone, and just fuck off.   And I really wish today's raised-on-video-games critics would get a clue as to what makes good television and stop praising these hacks as geniuses or "masters of horror" just because they don't know any better.

Edited by millennium