Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Sleepless in Croatia

• Start Topic

While Lloyd heads to the hospital, the crew tries to manage a group of demanding charter guests with only six people. Katie struggles under the weight of her decision to go down to two stews, while Malia grows frustrated with the pressure interior has placed on the deck crew. In the galley, Mathew grows increasingly insecure after receiving his first complaint of the season leading to a breakfast that threatens to derail the final charter.

Bravo Airdate: 10/11/2021

This season the episodes will be airing a week earlier on Peacock Premium.  You can comment on the episode once it is live there.  Anyone waiting for the Bravo airing, be aware there will be early comments on the episode - so don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

• Useful 1

I was very glad to see that Lloyd only had a panic attack. Not that they are good, but it sure beats having cardiac issues at his young age. The panic he can work on. Sandy seemed to want to help with that by giving him her personal phone number. I assume for a future reference or job guidance "on the fly?"

Katie...you finally realized that you are overwhelmed and made the WRONG decision. Too bad Courtney and the entire deck crew (now shorthanded) had to pay for your inability to make a simple managerial decision. Just took a demanding last group to show you the light...eh? Everyone saw that coming...except you, of course.

Mat, did you get a trophy for attending every baseball game as a child? That seems like what you need now. There aren't that many accolades in people. These guests like spicy food and they mentioned it to you. That's it. That's all. The sky isn't falling Chicken Little. Turn off the switch and move on with your job. On another issue, any short order diner grill person worth their salt could do custom omelettes all morning...and they do. Sorry it didn't work out with your plans trophy boy man baby.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15

I'm happy it was a panic attack, but that is horrible for anyone suffering from one.  I'm happy Lloyd is okay.

Mat is very needy isn't he? I wasn't really paying attention during the guest requests meeting. Were they asking for "I need a glass of milk with the ghost pepper" spicy? I know some people like it hot.

I was thinking Katie would be regretting her decision about Delaney, and Malia certainly has her opinions. For a while there, down one deck hand too.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Mat is very needy isn't he? I wasn't really paying attention during the guest requests meeting. Were they asking for "I need a glass of milk with the ghost pepper" spicy? I know some people like it hot.

It wasn't even a preference sheet thing. One lady was eating some of his fried fish and commented it was a little bland for her taste. Another guest agreed, so Katie immediately went and grabbed an assortment of hot sauces and condiments for them and that was that. Problem solved. She made the mistake of telling Mat and he immediately started his "oh no" monologue that built and built until he screwed up breakfast the next day!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I was thinking Katie was a bit smug last charter about her ability to work better under pressure and how she preferred  physical stress over mental stress.

In which case, she should immediately demote herself to 2nd stew. she may be the most hardworking stew but she is not fit to manage and lead. 
Making the hard decision to fire Lexi and training Delaney (who was willing to work) could have prevented everyone from burning out. 

Mat is extremely annoying. Looking forward to the new chef. 

• Love 12

Jemele Hill was on one of the BD shows before.  And one of the other guys is an ESPN anchor, so more stunt casting.

I don't know if Jemele is trying to get back on TV or probably getting a free trip for herself and her friends.

No question they were encouraged to be demanding guests, including the talent show portion and another beach picnic coming up, also an anniversary party.   Looks like they decided to tick all the boxes available to BD charter guests.

The guest who spoke up about the beets, just not eat them instead of making a deal out of it?  Or make the complaint in a memorable way like "Chicken is not acceptable.  Chicken is poor people's food."

This whole "Katie should have kept on Delaney" thing has been going for 3 episodes now?  Have they not milked this shit enough?  Malia with the passive-aggressive complaints about having to help out the interior BECAUSE OF Katie, that's gotten old too.

Did they drink everything that they ordered well late into the night?  Or did they just film them making drink orders?

So the drama for the last two episodes is that the crew is overworked and Mat is losing his mind.  So they bring the backup chef aboard because he can't make eggs all of a sudden.  Also from the previews they showed, guess the guy trolls Mat a bit.

Isn't it interesting that the guests each order different things for breakfast, like very specific ingredients.  Plays perfectly into the drama.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Just happened to catch the drama with Lloyd.

I have had similar attacks, and they are frightening as hell. You do think you are dying. But what bothered me was Sandy’s reaction. Just like with Jess and her palpitations last season, you don’t make someone showing heart attack symptoms/heart problems exert him- or herself unnecessarily. Last year she had Jess come to her, while she sat in the galley. Last night, she made an obviously ill Lloyd walk upstairs to the bridge for a BP check with a portable BP device that very easily could have been done from his quarters, and then walk back downstairs. As a heart attack victim herself, you’d think she’d know better. (On second thought…naw, she wouldn’t.) 

Glad Lloyd is OK. 

That bothered me too that Sandy had Lloyd go up and down stairs when he was possibly having a heart attack. Sandy should have let Lloyd stay where he was

• Love 15
15 hours ago, aghst said:

Jemele Hill was on one of the BD shows before.  And one of the other guys is an ESPN anchor, so more stunt casting.

I don't know if Jemele is trying to get back on TV or probably getting a free trip for herself and her friends.

No question they were encouraged to be demanding guests, including the talent show portion and another beach picnic coming up, also an anniversary party.   Looks like they decided to tick all the boxes available to BD charter guests.

The guest who spoke up about the beets, just not eat them instead of making a deal out of it?  Or make the complaint in a memorable way like "Chicken is not acceptable.  Chicken is poor people's food."

This whole "Katie should have kept on Delaney" thing has been going for 3 episodes now?  Have they not milked this shit enough?  Malia with the passive-aggressive complaints about having to help out the interior BECAUSE OF Katie, that's gotten old too.

Did they drink everything that they ordered well late into the night?  Or did they just film them making drink orders?

So the drama for the last two episodes is that the crew is overworked and Mat is losing his mind.  So they bring the backup chef aboard because he can't make eggs all of a sudden.  Also from the previews they showed, guess the guy trolls Mat a bit.

Isn't it interesting that the guests each order different things for breakfast, like very specific ingredients.  Plays perfectly into the drama.

Hill was in the later episodes of Below Deck in Kate’s last season. She was insufferable to Kate early on but when she found out Kate wasn’t a pushover she backed off. What is memorable about her appearance is the bachelorette dinner, where she got drunk and went to bed during dinner, unbeknownst to Chef Kevin, who proudly trotted out his special — ahem — anatomically correct cake and embarrassed everybody at the table. Kate had set up Kevin big time, and it was righteous payback for how he treated her all season. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Hill was in the later episodes of Below Deck in Kate’s last season. She was insufferable to Kate early on but when she found out Kate wasn’t a pushover she backed off. What is memorable about her appearance is the bachelorette dinner, where she got drunk and went to bed during dinner, unbeknownst to Chef Kevin, who proudly trotted out his special — ahem — anatomically correct cake and embarrassed everybody at the table. Kate had set up Kevin big time, and it was righteous payback for how he treated her all season. 

Yes, spot on. 

Just thought I'd add that it was BD - Thailand, with Captain Lee at the helm, Kate Chastain, Ashton as bosun , and the season where it was the contentious men against the ladies of the crew. I think it was Kate's last season as a cast member on Bravo - BD.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This never fails to drive me nuts. The guests don't get to order different things for lunch or dinner, so why are they allowed to do it for breakfast? It makes no sense. And I agree it's probably only encouraged/allowed for the sake of drama because it always causes problems. Little wonder, too. There should be a breakfast buffet set out for the guests when they get up in the morning with basics like muffins, fruit, sausage, maybe pancakes, etc. And if they want to order eggs that's about it for special requests.

Sorry, Sandy, I'm not buying into your heartwarming concern for Lloyd's well-being after the shitty way you treated Hannah. You don't get a mulligan on this one.

Looks like Karma is slapping Katie in the ass by making her stay up 'til 4:30 in the morning waiting on these guests hand and foot. Hey, if I were on a luxury yacht I'd stay up late too. Although I sure as hell wouldn't be up four hours later.

That said, I'm not sure Delaney could have done much to help out here. If she doesn't know how to make drinks, for example, she wouldn't have been able to wait on these guys into the wee hours. I guess she could have been up early to take breakfast orders so Katie could sleep in, though.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Sorry, Sandy, I'm not buying into your heartwarming concern for Lloyd's well-being after the shitty way you treated Hannah. You don't get a mulligan on this one.

If she was truly concerned about Lloyd’s well-being, she would have come to him with the blood pressure monitor, instead of him going to her on the bridge, and then him going back downstairs to his bunk. She had no idea what was going on with him, and to make him exert himself unnecessarily like that was careless, if not negligent. I kind of guessed it was a panic attack, but he was showing all signs of a heart attack.

Sandy always has been a phony. When she says “she cares,” watch your back.

• Love 14
On 10/5/2021 at 1:26 AM, aghst said:

I think it’s especially funny/ironic that Malia continually complains about this and talks about how their absolute first priority is deck, period, when she spent such a huge amount of time in the galley helping Tom last season.   Apparently deck duties only come first when you don’t personally want to be elsewhere on the boat? 

Mat must be utterly exhausting to work with, especially since they’re in such close quarters and he’s the only chef.  He seems to make food that the guests enjoy, but he needs so much reassurance and needs to be handled with care all the time.  

• Love 6

First of all, I believe these shows are a tad scripted (biggest example the whole Valium thing with Malia and Hanna, I was literally laughing with the "drama"). I don't say that crew and guests work as actors but I strongly suspect the production likes to "suggest" or even "create" situations. 
Is Katie that incompetent/stupid not to bring back Delaney or production convinced her? Or maybe both guests and crew take decisions to create drama for the shake of reality ("there are beets in my plate!").

The guests are supposed to pay a lot of money for this kind of trips (dunno if they pay the same amount when participating on the BD series).
So I guess If I had paid 200000$ for 3 days I would be a tad demanding as well, at least not to be served food I can't/don't want to eat.

Overall the two BD shows I have watched this season are disappointing. I dunno if its the Covid situation or Croatia or people are tired, but both Sailing and Mediterranean this year were....well boring.
Especially the ridiculous  "cliffhangers" at the end of each episode. If your cliffhanger is not strong enough do not have one!

In any case I am glad Loyd is ok, cause if he had a real heart issue Sandy would had a nice lawsuit against her for making him go up and down stairs. I like Sandy in general, although I think her true nature is to work as a live motivational poster.

Edited by Zaffy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

That's a whole lot of zeros!  We're really talking about $20,000.00, right?

5 zeros I put, 200,000 (two hundred thousands) that the guests are paying in total for the trip.
Which I guess makes sense for the usual tip of 15,000+ they give at the end of the cruise.

• Love 1

I doubt Zemele is paying that much.

She was on BD a couple of seasons ago and then she flew to Croatia to be on BDM and she paid $200k on top?

If she wants to keep up her public profile, she may be willing to pay some money, just to appear on a reality TV show.  But it's doubtful they'd pay $200k

Again, I believe Bravo would be motivated to have charter guests with some level of celebrity on.

It would not surprise me if they paid to cover their expenses, to fly out there.

I think I posted an ad for a yacht charter in Croatia in one of the BD media threads.  It was a few thousand, not tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands, to go from one part of Croatia to another, over a couple of days.

Yes, here it is, a 7-night charter, Split to Dubrovnik, for $1700 for a couple in a cabin.

That doesn't include dinners on board.  But it's still a far cry from $200k.

Edited by aghst
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2021 at 3:59 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Which is?

It depends on the boat, lol ! On this one, 50% of US$ 275'000 for one week. I think you can do the maths, even if you're not the best with google ? :)

(FYI : on google, search with : Lady Michelle super yacht charter)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

It depends on the boat, lol ! On this one, 50% of US$ 275'000 for one week. I think you can do the maths, even if you're not the best with google ? :)

(FYI : on google, search with : Lady Michelle super yacht charter)

I don't for one minute think the guests on BDM are paying anywhere close to 6 figures to appear on the show.

Especially minor celebrities.

I don't think they're flying out to Croatia to get on a yacht.  They could do that in more glamorous locales or closer ones like the Bahamas.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, aghst said:

I don't for one minute think the guests on BDM are paying anywhere close to 6 figures to appear on the show.

I don't think they're flying out to Croatia to get on a yacht.  They could do that in more glamorous locales or closer ones like the Bahamas.

ok

On 10/5/2021 at 1:26 AM, aghst said:

The beet thing was kind of interesting. The one lady said no beets on her preference sheet--- but these were, like, stealth beets, lol. Bull's blood beet microgreens piled on top of the entree like salad. It annoyed me that Matt apparently served food that he didn't taste. Rookie mistake. 

• Love 5

I knew these guests would be demanding, but they were very nice about it.  Crew got off easy last charter.

Katie can still never admit she was wrong, even though she knows it and is putting up this ridiculous brave martyr front.

Now with "expect the unexpected" and Lloyd going down she totally screwed the whole crew to satisfy her stupid "I work best under pressure" ego.  No you don't, you just think you do.

The guests are not "trying to break" you.  They just expect 5 star service and your terrible management skills put you shorthanded.  They seemed very good natured and not sloppy drunks.  They didn't even get too cranky over the beets incident.

So now she's "starting to think" she screwed up?  That ship has sailed.

Glad to see Lloyd is ok.  Maybe Sandy can find him a job on a friendly boat.

It's hard to know how spicy people like things.  You can always add more but you can't take it out.  I'm a low to medium, hotter and I don't taste the food, just the heat. 

Talent show was lame.

Mat is one needy dude.  Chicken???

The only way I eat eggs is scrambled.  Are the eggs not fresh enough?  The wrong temperature?  The pan the wrong temperature?  Is there some trick?  No clue how to over easy them properly.  Mat obviously doesn't either. 

New chef for the last night??

• Love 5
On 10/9/2021 at 12:38 PM, aghst said:

Six figures for 2-3 days is all kinds of bullshit! If I could afford it, pretty sure I could get a nice ass LONGER vacation for that amount of money!

• Love 2
On 10/4/2021 at 2:51 PM, aqusdealer said:

Katie...you finally realized that you are overwhelmed and made the WRONG decision. Too bad Courtney and the entire deck crew (now shorthanded) had to pay for your inability to make a simple managerial decision. Just took a demanding last group to show you the light...eh? Everyone saw that coming...except you, of course.

Katie's decision to dump Delaney would eventually backfire on her. Given her prior experience in yachting, she should have known that 2 stews couldn't handle the workload of the guests.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4
On 10/7/2021 at 4:38 AM, reallyjustjen said:

I think it’s especially funny/ironic that Malia continually complains about this and talks about how their absolute first priority is deck, period, when she spent such a huge amount of time in the galley helping Tom last season.   Apparently deck duties only come first when you don’t personally want to be elsewhere on the boat? 

Mat must be utterly exhausting to work with, especially since they’re in such close quarters and he’s the only chef.  He seems to make food that the guests enjoy, but he needs so much reassurance and needs to be handled with care all the time.  

I'm so glad you brought that up!  Malia was Tom's sous chef last season, bosun duties be damned!  We knew she was a huge hypocrite and this apparently hasn't changed.  

Mat is indeed a fragile little flower, which is too bad, because I was hoping he would redeem himself after the shenanigans of the beginning of the season.  I guess he brings the drama...

• Love 11

Impressions:

Quote from Captain Queeg:  “I do not want the client to feel the impact.”  Well then maybe you should stop shedding staff.  And down to two interior people?  Lucky your deck crew helps out, even though they have enough to do on their own and they’re down a member as well.  Since luxury charters are all about keeping the guests happy, you’re insane for doing a charter with several guests and only 2 stews.

Mat is continuing to obsess about Queeg’s fish?  Please.  He’s got bigger fish to fry – literally.

And right on cue the guests complain about the fish. 

So glad that Lloyd’s problem was “just” a panic attack.  Scary enough to have one, but not as serious as other things could be.  Poor Lloyd just doesn’t have the temperament to survive in a yachting situation like the one he’s in for this season.

I feel a bit badly for laughing so hard at the guests and their attempt to master their watercraft, but it was funny as heck.

Is it just me, but watching these guests eat – are they unfamiliar with cutlery?  Some of what I saw just looked… awkward.

Malaria:  “I need the deck team to help me keep the guests as entertained as possible.”  Maybe sacking DeLaney wasn’t such a hot idea, eh? 

Mzi got game!  When it comes to golf, anywise.  He was brilliant when working with the guests on their golf competition.  Although – helpful hint Mzi – the tip might be bigger if you let the guests win.  (:

Captain Queeg trying to soothe Lloyd – creepy.  “Call me any time.”  Really?  Except….. never.

The guests aren’t trying to break you, Katie – they just want the service expected on a yacht.

The talent show was great – everyone did very well.

Mat – “I basically lied unintentionally.”  Sure, mate.  Mat looks like the whipped puppy pleading for attention…. That hasn’t been whipped.  Mat has constantly demonstrated his ability to not pay attention to the preference sheet of the prime guest.  You’re an obnoxious person, Mat.  The best thing about this show is to warn all other boat captains never to hire you.  And eggs… really, Mat?  You lose it over eggs?  It’s the simplest thing you can do.  Mat: “Can you do me a favour?  Can you shoot me in the head?”  A pleasure, Mat.  Which temple?

And the scenes for next week – will we survive Mat the drama queen/king?  Almost certainly.

• LOL 3

I once went camping with a friend and her family. Come breakfast time, she fixes everyone's eggs to their preference.  I'm like I  wouldn't do that shit. I just fix everyone scrambled.

As per the fish being bland.  My inlaws were from Louisiana .  They ate hot sauce on everything. When they came to my town, in Indiana, they thought the food was bland and asked for hot sauce. Some people just prefer their food spicier.

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 7

Even if it's the last show, I'm glad Matt is going to be replaced by another chef.  (if he is) Even though the guests seem to love his food, it never looks appealing to me.  Everything the same mid brown color, limp brown/green greens.  Nothing to watch.  And his diva-ness is sickening.  If he's that fragile he's in the wrong business.  Move on!

• Love 4
On 10/7/2021 at 4:38 AM, reallyjustjen said:

Awesome observation, reallyjustjen.  Truer words....

• Love 5
On 10/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, PaperTree said:

I knew these guests would be demanding, but they were very nice about it.  Crew got off easy last charter.

Katie can still never admit she was wrong, even though she knows it and is putting up this ridiculous brave martyr front.

Now with "expect the unexpected" and Lloyd going down she totally screwed the whole crew to satisfy her stupid "I work best under pressure" ego.  No you don't, you just think you do.

The guests are not "trying to break" you.  They just expect 5 star service and your terrible management skills put you shorthanded.  They seemed very good natured and not sloppy drunks.  They didn't even get too cranky over the beets incident.

So now she's "starting to think" she screwed up?  That ship has sailed.

Glad to see Lloyd is ok.  Maybe Sandy can find him a job on a friendly boat.

It's hard to know how spicy people like things.  You can always add more but you can't take it out.  I'm a low to medium, hotter and I don't taste the food, just the heat. 

Talent show was lame.

Mat is one needy dude.  Chicken???

The only way I eat eggs is scrambled.  Are the eggs not fresh enough?  The wrong temperature?  The pan the wrong temperature?  Is there some trick?  No clue how to over easy them properly.  Mat obviously doesn't either. 

New chef for the last night??

So true.  I started out the season loving Katie 2.0.  I still do like her as a person, but she's a terrible manager/leader.  What's good about her management style is that she encourages and praises her underlings.  However, she's incapable of making the right decisions, let alone any decisions whatsoever.  She also works herself to the bone, when a good leader knows how and when to delegate.

As regards 5-star service, through every incarnation of the Below Deck franchise I've always wondered how it's possible to give this level of service with only 3 stewardesses.  Factoring in their requisite break times and sleep periods, there doesn't seem to be sufficient hands on the guests.  I think the same thing about the chef not having a sous-chef. 

If I were a guest on a REAL (vs. Below Deck) yacht charter, I would want to be able to order whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it, at any time of the day or night.  On Below Deck, you always see the chefs getting pissed off if they're awakened in the middle of the night to accommodate guest requests.  At other times the stews try to satisfy the food requests of the guests themselves.  I'll say it again, though, if I'm paying yacht charter prices, I want CHEF caliber food, NOT stewardess microwave specials.

Katie has frequently referred to having as many as 5 stews beneath her on other charter vessels.  THAT sounds more correct than what Below Deck has.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, stcroix said:

Even if it's the last show, I'm glad Matt is going to be replaced by another chef.  (if he is) Even though the guests seem to love his food, it never looks appealing to me.  Everything the same mid brown color, limp brown/green greens.  Nothing to watch.  And his diva-ness is sickening.  If he's that fragile he's in the wrong business.  Move on!

Couldn't agree more.  It amazes me all the praise this guy gets for his food, when it's neither visually appealing OR unique and interesting.  You'd think that all of these charter guests never "fine dine" the way they're always raving that his food is the best food they've ever had.

Now Rachel, as much of a temperamental PITA (pain in the ass) she was, SHE definitely brought her A game when it came to creative cuisine that looked as appetizing as it seemingly tasted.  And for Captain "Stud of the Sea" Lee to highly praise her, that says something, while Sandy's opinions about any chef's meals, they don't carry much weight with me.

Mat is way too high maintenance.  I can see why he is a private chef in the real, non-Below Deck world.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him in the kitchen in any capacity.  As a private chef, he does not have to expose himself to other professionals in high end restaurant kitchens.  He can "run his own ship", so to speak, and behave like a diva all he wants in a private chef setting.  A 5-star or Michelin restaurant?  Not so much.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

Now Rachel, as much of a temperamental PITA (pain in the ass) she was, SHE definitely brought her A game when it came to creative cuisine that looked as appetizing as it seemingly tasted. 

I'm terrible with names and faces, but wasn't it Rachel that never had a vegetable meet her plates?

I just saw Jemele Hill on MSNBC with Nicole Wallace. I knew she looked familiar (as she's been on that network before). I really don't know why she would want to show up on a reality TV show. She was giving perceptive insight on a current sports news story (Kyrie Irving of the Nets and his (non) vax)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/13/2021 at 9:05 AM, Xebug67 said:

Now Rachel, as much of a temperamental PITA (pain in the ass) she was, SHE definitely brought her A game when it came to creative cuisine that looked as appetizing as it seemingly tasted.  And for Captain "Stud of the Sea" Lee to highly praise her, that says something

I'm rewatching her last season just to drool over her highly creative food! She is a master. I wish I had taste-o-vision? Wonka vision? 😂 

17 hours ago, dleighg said:

I just saw Jemele Hill on MSNBC with Nicole Wallace. I knew she looked familiar (as she's been on that network before). I really don't know why she would want to show up on a reality TV show. She was giving perceptive insight on a current sports news story (Kyrie Irving of the Nets and his (non) vax)

I was a little surprised she showed up on BD Med after being on BD OG since she didn't seem to enjoy that trip. This time her group seemed more fun and interesting.