Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Hot Links & Red Drinks

• Start Topic

Angela wants to make Nikki the face of Eve's Crown and forces Leah's hand about the incubator program. Meanwhile, Raymond confronts Teddy about getting his company back, and Piggy is confronted by her past. Then, secrets are revealed when Lauren brings her grandmother Rose to the annual Juneteenth Rose Ball, where she reveals a family secret.

Airdate: Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2021

Yaya is so gorgeous--- I could look at her all day.

The lady with the dimples is giving me Eve's Bayou energy. What's this business about where a man is buried? Who is he & why would she want to dig him up?

I'm struggling to find the teens likeable, except for the brother. Watching that girl punch someone in the head was disturbing.

• Love 2

There were some good character interactions in this one; but again, why the need to have so many plot twists/reveals??

Obviously, there would be tension between Angela and Lauren, but I don't think they needed to have them be antagonistic towards each other.

Also it seems really soon for everyone to know about Teddy's love child. They could have drawn out that tension longer. Also I thought it was dumb the way it was revealed -- Leah just yells it out at her own party (mostly) unprovoked?

The show is relying too much on people fighting and/or backstabbing each other.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

The lady with the dimples is giving me Eve's Bayou energy. What's this business about where a man is buried? Who is he & why would she want to dig him up?

She was in Eve’s Bayou!

It’s bothering me that Leah is acting like Yaya is doing something to her by existing. Ma’am, this is entirely your father’s fault. In the preview she’s like “your mother broke up the family!” No, your father had an affair with his housekeeper, who probably didn’t have much choice in the matter since he was her boss.

8 hours ago, Trini said:

The show is relying too much on people fighting and/or backstabbing each other.

And there are too many plots. They just threw in a Parkinson’s diagnosis and there was plenty going on without it.

• Love 4

OMG, do people really put red nail polish on the bottom of their shoes? It has to look so fake. And what if you walk over rough pavement and some of the polish scrapes off?

I didn't think people like the Duponts would've been all that into Juneteenth since it was a direct refence to slavery. In fact, before Obama became president I don't think it was a big deal outside of Texas or places where a lot Black Texans moved to during the Great Migration and subsequent smaller migrations.

Red drinks and hot links. Yeah no to the beef or pork but I always enjoy some freshing red drink on the 19th of June.

Angela's definition of a ghetto left out the part where the word originally referred to places where groups of Jewish people lived since at the time they were also restricted from most places. In the US they eventually moved out of those areas and mostly Black and Latino/Hispanic people moved in.

Teddy said he was a Q-Dog. So does that mean he was throwing shade at Raymond when he called him a Nupe? I forsee a step show challenge happening at some point between Teddy and Raymond's fraternities.

A lot women's hands bleeding in this episode. Someone behind the scenes must be really into Lady Macbeth.

Is that "field vs. house" game actually a thing? Hmmm. It's my understanding the division of slaves wasn't just about skin tone. But they probably don't teach that in school in most  places.

Wow, Leah. Way to let your mouth write a check the Franklin family had to cash. Meanwhile, Angela knows how to grab an opportunity while it's hot. Hot goss.

Tryique is helping Teddy spy on Angela. Aw, man. Should've known he was too good to be true.

Wait, what? Angela's baby daddy is a convict? Oh snobby sister Leah's gonna love that. (The actor is also on Queen Sugar and I did a double-take when I saw him in that wig with the long braids. And I realized he's older than I thought.)

• Love 2
On 10/16/2021 at 1:22 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

OMG, do people really put red nail polish on the bottom of their shoes? It has to look so fake. And what if you walk over rough pavement and some of the polish scrapes off?

It is how the Louboutin red soles got started.  Louboutin was wondering how to brand his shoes when he noticed an assistant painting her nails bright red. He tried the polish on his shoes and the red sole was born.

• Useful 2

I did enjoy the Que and Nupe back and forth - I’m sure at least half of that convo went over some heads.

Leah outing Angela and then telling her she had to stay and face the heat made no sense. I fail to see how Leah is anywhere close to being a CEO or even second in command. Her nicety attitude in a professional setting is transparent and she doesn’t know how to control her emotions.

I’m struggling to suspend belief but yikes this show is not put together well  and that’s a shame because the story really could be good! 

Also - the show needs better direction. The shots are all the same - no closeups or zooms for dramatic reveals - just flat filming. The show feels like all the characters taking swings at one another every second - you can’t appreciate any of it because it comes at you way too fast.

I can’t believe this is on Fox.

Contrast this to another black wealth show, Bel-Air, where the production, writing, direction and tone are far superior. I wish the folks behind that were doing this.