Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E03: Britney Night

• Start Topic

I can’t stand Tyra but she is a lovely woman. Why she allows herself to be dressed like this is a mystery. She just looks like an idiot.

I enjoyed the show overall, liked seeing Len back. Everyone seems to be trying hard.

ETA: Cheryl looks 12 years old without makeup

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I feel sorry for Cody and Cheryl, but if they can't dance in person next week then they need to be eliminated and invited back next season. I would have rather watched Christine for another week rather than watching some crappy jazzercise on zoom. Show and producers, you are starting to look ridiculous. Do the right thing.

Agreed. I realize there are exceptions to rules and certainly when she first tested positive I was supportive of him getting a fair shot by dancing with someone else and using that practice footage that particular week. And if there was a way to do it I am all for that. However, there seems to be a lot of jumping through hoops to get him to compete. Most of the pairs had styles of a tango or cha cha. He got jazz, which could be done more easily in separate spaces. This just becomes quite problematic in the long run.   

On another note, some of the stars were really reaching for their Spears connection. Some of them needed more mental gymnastics to make work than others. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

On another note, some of the stars were really reaching for their Spears connection. Some of them needed more mental gymnastics to make work than others. 

I think her fans mainly fit into a particular age group, but that's not really the fan demographic of this show. It's mainly older people that watch, and they don't care that much about Britney or really even know her music, myself included. That's the problem with featuring one artist on the show. You could tell Iman barely knew who she was.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I think her fans mainly fit into a particular age group, but that's not really the fan demographic of this show. It's mainly older people that watch, and they don't care that much about Britney or really even know her music, myself included. That's the problem with featuring one artist on the show. You could tell Iman barely knew who she was.

Some people had to stretch for sure but Britney is a big deal to many people. The pros mostly kept quiet but I wouldn't be surprised if they pretty much all grew up dancing to her music. 

They've done other theme nights before. Stevie Wonder Night was in season 16. Cher Night in season 17.  They've done multiple country nights and they're out of Disney songs at this point. I'm not looking forward to another Disney week myself but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the dancing. (Very concerned about what Tyra will wear for that!) Not every theme is going to appeal to everyone but Britney is as legitimate a theme as anything else. She sings dance hits and this is a dance show. Makes sense to me.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Some people had to stretch for sure but Britney is a big deal to many people. The pros mostly kept quiet but I wouldn't be surprised if they pretty much all grew up dancing to her music. 

They've done other theme nights before. Stevie Wonder Night was in season 16. Cher Night in season 17.  They've done multiple country nights and they're out of Disney songs at this point. I'm not looking forward to another Disney week myself but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the dancing. (Very concerned about what Tyra will wear for that!) Not every theme is going to appeal to everyone but Britney is as legitimate a theme as anything else. She sings dance hits and this is a dance show. Makes sense to me.

I don't think they should have had a Cher or Stevie Wonder night, either. Not everyone is a fan of those artists. I zoned out halfway through the show because I didn't know any songs except a couple, and everyone was doing tangoes. If they are going to do theme nights, there should be broader ones like musicals or movie night. Those are some good ones that they did in the past. I think they chose Britney mainly so they could profit off her tragic story.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, vibeology said:

(Very concerned about what Tyra will wear for that!)

Pretty sure she went with a Minnie Mouse motif for one of her outfits last season...

Maybe Daisy Duck this time?

(And it's a two-night thing this year which probably means at least four outfits. Maybe she'll do some princesses. Or villains? Maleficent's headdress might be fun.)

Ugh to two weeks of Disney.  It's never been my favorite since it seems so self-serving, so of course they decided one night wasn't enough.  

How long until there's a Tyra night?  Each pair gets a different style, but they all have to dance to Tyra's one song:

• LOL 7

I don't think they should have had a Cher or Stevie Wonder night, either. Not everyone is a fan of those artists. I zoned out halfway through the show because I didn't know any songs except a couple, and everyone was doing tangoes

The other problem is that a lot of these dance styles do not lend themselves to Brtiney Spears songs. And then Len crabs because there's not enough legit content for the dance style when the pros are hamstrung by making the dance work with the song.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The other problem is that a lot of these dance styles do not lend themselves to Britney Spears songs. And then Len crabs because there's not enough legit content for the dance style when the pros are hamstrung by making the dance work with the song.

I.E. Len complaining that Sasha/Suni's foxtrot to I'm A Slave 4 U was too steamy.

• Love 7

My maion objection to the theme week was that none of the songs really seemed to fit the style of dancing. I didn’t think that most of the coreography actually did a good job of matching the song to the dance style but I am not sure that is an easy task. 

If anything, the jazz style that Cody and Cheryl did was one of he better fits for the style of music. 

But I know nothing about dance. I would say that most of the dance that I saw did not look energetic or like there was a good fit to the music.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

How did Tyra ever get this hosting job?  Who does she know? 

My mother and I have been talking about this. OK, you get rid of the wonderful Tom. Who's your first thought for a replacement? Tyra Banks! We suspect she previously worked with the producer or someone behind the scenes. I figure Tyra has been in show business long enough to have contacts on different reality shows. Maybe she's blackmailing somebody. lol

5 hours ago, Bliss said:

I LIKE banter

Agree. I loved the jokes and bloopers between Tom and Erin. I love comedy. Tyra has made me laugh but in a bad way.

I'm rooting for Suni/Sasha, but she has some tough competition. Transferring from gymnastics to dancing is not easy for every gymnast. Not every gymnast can be Shawn Johnson or Laurie Hernandez.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, LexieLily said:

And I'm 99% sure during one of the bumper scenes I saw Val swipe Sasha's drink of whatever from the side tables and drink from it. 

Just finished watching my DVR recording and I saw this exact scene (even though I fast forward through half the show haha). It was a fake drink :)

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

My maion objection to the theme week was that none of the songs really seemed to fit the style of dancing. I didn’t think that most of the coreography actually did a good job of matching the song to the dance style but I am not sure that is an easy task. 

I agree and Suni’s dance was the biggest victim, which, in Len’s words, is a sadness.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

I'm rooting for Suni/Sasha, but she has some tough competition. Transferring from gymnastics to dancing is not easy for every gymnast. Not every gymnast can be Shawn Johnson or Laurie Hernandez.

I feel like Shawn and Laurie are naturally more bubbly/outgoing than Suni, which probably helped. Suni seems a bit more introverted.

I'm always rooting for Sasha, though.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I.E. Len complaining that Sasha/Suni's foxtrot to I'm A Slave 4 U was too steamy.

Even as Sasha was trying to enthusiastically sell the reveal of their song and dance combo, it sounded ludicrous as a combination. 

But I do see what Len was saying about the dance being too steamy (don't know anything about the content of a foxtrot), the moment where she's straddling him just looked all kinds of wrong because she seems SO young and shy.

I feel like Shawn and Laurie are naturally more bubbly/outgoing than Suni, which probably helped. Suni seems a bit more introverted.

Yes, her introverted nature isn't coming across well in the pre-dance packages. And the father-daughter vibe between her and Sasha just makes some of the dances look strange and wrong (see my comment above). Sasha seems like he'd be a great teacher for her, but as a dance partner, it doesn't quite work. 

I was definitely not on the same page as the judges tonight. I was watching Melora's dance through my fingers because I thought it was so awkward and her hair and outfit really didn't flatter her. But they loved it and gave it 8s.

I thought BAG didn't do a lick of dancing (and I had to rewind the part where he jogs down the stairs like he's just running to his car for something, it was hysterical) and the judges think he's had a breakthrough and is finally dancing. Alrighty then. 

On the other hand, I thought Jimmie Allen did a fabulous job, to the point where I was watching him the whole time instead of his pro partner. So of course, the judges hated it and gave him 6s. I give up. 

And I'm over the JoJo tongue bath that may or may not be related to the dance she's just done. It seems clear that the judges orders are to never say a negative word to her. 

I had no feelings whatsoever about Christine (nor did I know who she was), but I'm glad the judges didn't save her again because at some point it would just get awkward if she lands there week after week and gets saved. They were obviously right to save her over Martin last week, but Kenya has potential and deserves a second chance. 

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Brian Austin Green needs to go, it's painful watching him. Let him and Sharna take their dancing to the bedroom.

Yes, he should have been in the bottom and voted off.  Voters are harsher on women.  Christine and Kenya shouldn't have been the bottom two.  Even though, I like Kenya and her partnership with Brandon, I agree with Len that I thought Christine did a better job this week.  But then she would have ended up in the bottom next week anyway. 

I don't know what they're going to do with Cody and Cheryl.  They should have just let them dance next season.  It's a shame because dance wise, he is better than the other men.  However, I get the scores too because it just doesn't work in two separate locations.  That's by doing jazz.  There's no way, a partner dance would work.

Sasha, putting that straddle part at the beginning of the dance is just icky.  That's something Gleb would do. 

• Love 4

I’m still impressed at the quality of the dancing this early in the season; I thought the judges might even break out the 9s this week, but alas it’s still early.

Olivia and Jojo are the big surprises for me so far.  The AT and costuming for Jojo I think worked really well.  I was also glad to see a couple of quick shots of Kate Flannery in the audience, I assume there supporting Melora.

I thought for a moment that CA’s left breast nearly popping out would be the judging low-light of the evening, then Bruno fell off of his chair (which I know CA typically does at least once a season).  And when does Bruno’s commentary (tonight for “The Miz”) cross the line from just being his schtick to being gross?

• Love 3

Who the heck hears Slave 4 U and thinks foxtrot? That was such a weird concept. Suni continues to have problems with facial expression, but her physicality is gorgeous and it's not her fault she got such a weird combo of dance and song. I don't know why she couldn't have done an Argentine Tango, which at least would have the right performance vibe.

Olivia Jade continues to impress me. She has real dance talent.

Matt James and the Miz also impress me. Talent on the lady's side is so stacked, but I think either one of them could be a surprise contender. 

JoJo's hair was the surprise stand out of the night for me. Who knew Classic Hollywood would be such a great look for her? And she rocked the heck out of those lifts! So smooth! I love woman/woman or man/man lifts in general, but JoJo/Jenna's were particularly good. I'm still hoping for a break from the matchy/matchy outfits, but I will grant them that this was a good week and a good look for it.

I love that they weren't afraid to go for a sexy vibe with their AT either. It suited JoJo much better than I would have expected given her age and general youthful perky persona.

I have residual affection for Brian Austin Green from Sarah Connor Chronicles, but he's the best one to go next (I hope!). After that, eliminations will get challenging.

• Love 7

This is the first season where I'm interested in just about everyone. 

BAG--I'm particularly interested in seeing each week how much he can contain his ego to learn from Sharna and allow himself negative critique. He always has to make sarcastic retorts that don't land. In my younger, dumber days I would not have noticed what huge narcissist red flags he gives off. Sharna must be exhausted in every way. I would love to see BAG stop wanting to be cool and aloof and just let loose.

This show capitalizes on "redeeming" scandalized celebs, so I don't mind Olivia Jade being here. Also, she was born and bred for fame so it may have happened anyway. She's got the charisma and I'm enjoying her inarguable talent and chemistry with Val.

I'm not sure when it happened, but I love Jenna. I thought I'd hate Jojo but with Jenna they're so enjoyable.

Melora was a fave on The Office and I'm so pleased to see her each week. She's such an elegant, talented, beautiful woman and performer. 

I wasn't a Britney fan as a kid but her catalogue is iconic esp. in the dance world and I loved the theme.

Oh, I find it amusing Derek is like, "Peace TF out ya'll. It ain't worth the risk." I don't blame him.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Sasha, putting that straddle part at the beginning of the dance is just icky.  That's something Gleb would do. 

I'm not saying Sasha is a perv or anything, but they should have paired her with Brandon. He looks closer to her age. Brandon looks like Kenya's little brother, and Sasha looks like Suni's father. Really they should just get some 18 year old pros, as well as some older ones. The couples would look a lot more well matched.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

And I'm over the JoJo tongue bath that may or may not be related to the dance she's just done. It seems clear that the judges orders are to never say a negative word to her. 

I didn't see any tongue bath, especially not any more than any other dancers like Amanda or Olivia. Len said it was too staccato and had the feel of a more traditional tango and Bruno - and to a lesser extent - Carrie-Ann accused them of missing a step. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I'm not saying Sasha is a perv or anything, but they should have paired her with Brandon. He looks closer to her age. Brandon looks like Kenya's little brother, and Sasha looks like Suni's father. Really they should just get some 18 year old pros, as well as some older ones. The couples would look a lot more well matched.

I agree about the age thing but I think it's also a height thing.  I googled heights.  Sasha is 5'9" and 37 years old.  Brandon is 27 years old.  I can't find his height but I would guess around 5'11" to 6'.

Kenya's height is listed as 5'10" so she's too tall for Sasha.

They just need to get pros of different ages and heights.  The difference between Iman and Daniella is huge. He's 6'5".  She's 5'7" so taller than I thought and currently the tallest female.  She just looks tiny next to Iman.   At least, he's not as tall as  Kareem at 7'2".  They will probably never find a pro that can match him.  That's why Lindsay had Hayley on her shoulders for that one dance.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, realdancemom said:

That's why Lindsay had Hayley on her shoulders for that one dance

Short of searching out the clip to be sure. . .wasn't it the other way around?  At least that's how I remember it.

Much as I enjoy seeing Cheryl Burke on my TV screen, and as little as I care about either of those bottom two "stars" the other night, whatever their names are, nevertheless. . .

I really think it is patently unfair for Cheryl and Cody to stay in the competition at this point, while either of the other two get voted off after suiting up and showing up at the practice studio and on the set every day over the past two weeks.  Granted, C&C COVID factory didn't ask for that tough break, and probably aren't directly responsible for it, but sometimes life happens.  More than a few dancers and/or "stars" have been forced to drop out over the past 30 seasons for all sorts of stuff beyond their control.

And the group hug at the end was atrocious.  I'm betting the cast got a talking to from production after that broadcast.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, sd dude said:

C&C COVID factory

I feel like I shouldn't have laughed at that, but...🤣

I agree, though. If they can't be on set next week, they should drop out and skip the week's elimination. Wouldn't be the first time. Let him come back next season and try again if he wants to.

• Love 5
On 10/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, scenicbyway said:

Honestly, Tyra’s green dress is an improvement?

At least she isn't wearing a giant va-jay-jay this week. 

I didn't want to like Jojo. Really, I didn't. The little girl next door has Jojo Siwa EVERYTHING. Her parents even took her to a live concert. My granddaughter likes her, but not at the levels that the neighbor girl does.  But....yeah, I'm into this pairing. I'm even casting votes to off set the prudes that are so "offended" by the girl on girl dance action. 

And I guess that I never realized just how tall she was until now. Shows how little attention that I paid to her. I know Jenna is little, but day-um. We know which girl is leading. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I'm even casting votes to off set the prudes that are so "offended" by the girl on girl dance action. 

I saw a few comments on facebook from those people. "Why does she have to dance with a girl? Johnny Weir didn't insist on having a male partner!" .....okay? So?

7 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And I guess that I never realized just how tall she was until now. Shows how little attention that I paid to her. I know Jenna is little, but day-um. We know which girl is leading. 

I googled this the first week and apparently she is 5'9" and Jenna is 5'2".

• Love 5
On 10/5/2021 at 7:31 PM, ams1001 said:

I'm always rooting for Sasha, though.

I think Suni is more in the Nastia mold, minus the ice. More serious in comparison to Laurie, Shawn, or even Mary Lou.  Laurie was made for a show like this. Personality Plus. I think if Mark Ballas were still around, he might have been paired with Suni. Sure, he's only two years younger than Sasha, but he has a younger, more boyish look. And he's short, too. 

I saw Jojo for a brief second on Kelly Clarkson's talk show on Tuesday afternoon. No bow or side pony. Kelly even asked her about it and she made a comment about giving it a break. A LONNGGG break. So maybe she's transitioning to a new, more mature look, but the DWTS producers want the more recognizable look in their talking heads? 

But on night one, her rainbow unicorn home decor? YIKES. Looked like Lisa Frank threw up all over the place. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, sd dude said:

Short of searching out the clip to be sure. . .wasn't it the other way around?  At least that's how I remember it.

I didn't search for the clip either but you're correct.  Lindsay was sitting on Hayley's shoulders.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2021 at 8:07 AM, ams1001 said:

I saw a few comments on facebook from those people. "Why does she have to dance with a girl? Johnny Weir didn't insist on having a male partner!" .....okay? So?

I googled this the first week and apparently she is 5'9" and Jenna is 5'2".

I only just learned JoJo is gay. I thought it was a random choice from the producers since they always like to have a twist or gimmick but this was just a refreshing decision. It'd be nice to see every season.

On 10/6/2021 at 10:27 AM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I didn't see any tongue bath, especially not any more than any other dancers like Amanda or Olivia. Len said it was too staccato and had the feel of a more traditional tango and Bruno - and to a lesser extent - Carrie-Ann accused them of missing a step. 

I agree although I do recall Len sounding almost apologetic after his critique and qualifying it with, "Having said that, you can't make a bad performance. You're always on point." Cut to Val looking slightly perturbed, his smile faltering a bit as he continues to clap automatically. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

Oh, especially after Britney night, I think Jenna and Jojo will win.

This cast doesn’t have a polarizing ringer. The contestants are pretty decent, but no one just super stands out. Iman was fun the first night. Melora, Mel C, and Amanda were fantastic Monday. The Miz is growing on me with Witney’s choreography. I actually love a good ringer because I just like to watch good dancing in creative routines. 

I think Jenna and Jojo will win because I don’t like Jenna. I never have. She feels fake, maybe insecure? She often out dances her partners and choreographs to highlight her own, showy moves.

BUT…I love her dances with Jojo. I didn’t know who Jojo was until now (I’m a mom of boy teens). But I’ve rewatched their routines on YT many times. I seriously love them together. In short, it’s a kind of annoying young teen with a pro I quite dislike, and somehow I’m rooting for them because I just enjoy watching them. So….Go Jenna! Keep creating content that’s awesome! Go Jojo! That tango was fabulous. 

Edited by Sd601
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Sd601 said:

BUT…I love her dances with Jojo. I didn’t know who Jojo was until now (I’m a mom of boy teens). But I’ve rewatched their routines on YT many times. I seriously love them together. In short, it’s a kind of annoying young teen with a pro I quite dislike, and somehow I’m rooting for them because I just enjoy watching them. So….Go Jenna! Keep creating content that’s awesome! Go Jojo! That tango was fabulous. 

With Jojo, Jenna has a partner that can keep up with her performance and dance wise.  Otherwise, she usually does outshine her partners and she's not the type that really holds back.

• Love 2