Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Desperate Measures

jewel21
  • Start Topic

As the citywide blackout continues to cause mayhem in Los Angeles, Athena races to save her family from a tragedy. Meanwhile, Eddie must make a difficult choice about his future and Maddie makes a life-changing decision.

Airdate: 10/04/2021

I signed up for a show about firefighters, not some copaganda procedural. I will never watch this entire episode again, it was just awful. If I wanted that I'd go watch however many iterations of Law and Order there are. I'm so glad that storyline is over.

I am happy that Eddie broke up with Ana, although she sort of did the majority of the work in that breakup. Eddie has a lot he needs to figure out and he should do that in therapy. 

I figured Maddie was going to leave but didn't realize she'd leave Jee at the fire station, I thought she'd leave her with Mrs. Lee. Also, after 4-5 months she's still this bad? If nothing else, she needs new doctors. 

• Love 9

Even though I knew Harry would be okay, it was kind of disturbing to watch. 

Part of my livestream cut out (so frustrating) so I missed a little of the wrap up with the scene before the final ones. I'm just glad we don't have to deal with Hudson any more. 

This stuff with Maddie and Harry's PTSD is going to be incredibly sad though. I'd be fine with an episode about just their love lives lol.

Oh, and Angry Bobby is hawt.

• Love 4

While I was amused by the "I shot off his junk" - I find it hard to believe no one knew since thats a failed civil suit against the police dep waiting to happen. 

I did have this thought - how does super supportive ex-husband not know what his ex-wife's assailant looks like? Or her son for that matter?

I dunno, maybe I'm just not in the right mood for this. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I don't think Eddie should be with someone he doesn't love but was I the only one who kind of thought he was a kind of terrible father?  That might be too harsh but when she said he was a good father, I was kind of thinking back to how this whole thing started.  He dated her and was hesitant about introducing her as his girlfriend to Christopher?  Especially after Christopher had all this abandonment anxiety.  Maybe he should have given that relationship a bit more time before he pulled the trigger on introducing her as part of their personal lives as opposed to the life where she was just a teacher? 

I mean, of all the people he dated, he had to have her. And now that she's fully integrated into their lives?  He just ain't feeling it? And then he blames his son for the reason she's in their lives?  Nope.

I was praising the postpartum depression story last week but I hated what they did last week and have Maddie leaving her husband and baby.  I get that JLH is likely out on her maternity leave but I hate the way shows like to have the mothers run away and abandon their kids while suffering from PPD.  I kind of wish they would have had her go to inpatient clinic. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

I'm just glad we don't have to deal with Hudson any more.

We've now suffered through three episodes of him. Good riddance to him and this storyline.

Why didn't May just go home after she learned Harry was found? Athena showing up at May's job—after telling May's boss to keep her there—was just beyond. I like that this show is deliberately ridiculous with the rescues, but that was nonsensical.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think Eddie should be with someone he doesn't love but was I the only one who kind of thought he was a kind of terrible father?  That might be too harsh but when she said he was a good father, I was kind of thinking back to how this whole thing started.  He dated her and was hesitant about introducing her as his girlfriend to Christopher?  Especially after Christopher had all this abandonment anxiety.  Maybe he should have given that relationship a bit more time before he pulled the trigger on introducing her as part of their personal lives as opposed to the life where she was just a teacher? 

I mean, of all the people he dated, he had to have her. And now that she's fully integrated into their lives?  He just ain't feeling it? And then he blames his son for the reason she's in their lives?  Nope.

I was praising the postpartum depression story last week but I hated what they did last week and have Maddie leaving her husband and baby.  I get that JLH is likely out on her maternity leave but I hate the way shows like to have the mothers run away and abandon their kids while suffering from PPD.  I kind of wish they would have had her go to inpatient clinic. 

I am just glad she's gone, but I feel like it's too late and JLH has ruined another show. I an just not feeling this season at all and tonight totally sucked. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I feel like a clinic is where Maddie will end up. I think she scared the hell out of herself with the bathtub and once she's thinking a little more clearly she'll hightail it for inpatient treatment. It seemed like her biggest focus now was Jee's safety. Which is probably a good sign, all things considered. 

• Love 4

I wondered why no one was looking for Lou's car, but I guess with all the traffic signals and security cameras in the region non-functional, it would be harder to look. Still, they could put out a notice to watch for it. Apparently social media was still operational enough to post the video, even if it was intermittent. 

I wish they had just had Maddie tell Chim she was in trouble and set it up so he knows where she is. She could go for help with him on board, and not have to disappear.I realize people aren't always making rational decisions when they're that depressed, but still. Doing it that way would get JLH time off, and I don't need the extra mystery and heartbreak for Chim. Unless she wants off the show entirely? I don't know how you come back from that level of abandonment. I get that she's clinically depressed, but still. 

Was Harry unconscious and/or suffocating? I didn't understand why he didn't make any noise when they were searching the house (other than plot device). Did Rape Guy drug him? I didn't see that, but it would explain why Harry didn't hear the rescuers or respond when they were calling his name. He could have kicked the wall if he couldn't yell. Even the muffled screams he was attempting before would have been helpful. 

Eddie did like Ana at first. I wonder if his panic is really about HER, or just the idea of a serious relationship with ANYONE.

• Love 7

Of all the people to abandon like that it had to be Chim, the one with the major abandonment issues with his own family. Maddie leaving him and his daughter like that, depression or no, will be hard to recover from. Unless the writers have completely forgotten Chim's backstory, which is possible because Hollywood tv series writers are notorious for ignoring whatever came before.

I am growing very tired of Athena, Warrior Princess. I'd give anything for her captain to tell her that she has two choices, either park it at a desk for a while or patrol with a partner as backup, no excuses. That'll never happen though, because Athena must be The Badass Who Riides Alone.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I am growing very tired of Athena, Warrior Princess. I'd give anything for her captain to tell her that she has two choices, either park it at a desk for a while or patrol with a partner as backup, no excuses. That'll never happen though, because Athena must be The Badass Who Riides Alone.

Curiously on The Rookie they are training a newly promoted LAPD Sergeant in the same job as Sergeant Grant. The first rule the Watch Commander taught him was he never goes in first. On an unrealistic show about the "first" responders I never understood why  she was made a Sergeant without a partner, as in real life, to play against  in the first place.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Was Harry unconscious and/or suffocating? I didn't understand why he didn't make any noise when they were searching the house (other than plot device). Did Rape Guy drug him? I didn't see that, but it would explain why Harry didn't hear the rescuers or respond when they were calling his name. He could have kicked the wall if he couldn't yell. Even the muffled screams he was attempting before would have been helpful. 

I assume, because it was a small room with no ventilation, AND because Hudson also used fresh paint on the wall, he had been slowly suffocating to death. No air + paint fumes + being gagged = a bad situation.

I'm glad the Hudson storyline is over. It was somewhat interesting for a while, and I appreciate more Harry in general since the kid has been underutilized for four seasons, but man, was it a drag by the end. There was just so much going on. 

I did appreciate angry Bobby. I wish we got Buck jumping in to help Athena, as she had done with him MANY times. It would have been nice to see Buck reciprocate by being her partner this time around, but I also get why he wasn't.

What a depressing storyline for Maddie and Chimney. I feel so bad for Maddie, who clearly wasn't getting the proper help with her doctors and she's now gone somewhere. Now Chimney has to take care of Jee alone, and Buck also somewhat gets abandoned again too. But it's not really Maddie's fault. She's no ok, her PPD has gotten the better of her, and hopefully she's gone somewhere to get help. I understand this also was for JLH's maternity leave, but it doesn't make it easier to watch.

Thank goodness, Eddie and Ana are broken up! Their goodbye scene was...strangely one of the best scenes they've ever had.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

What a depressing storyline for Maddie and Chimney. I feel so bad for Maddie, who clearly wasn't getting the proper help with her doctors and she's now gone somewhere. Now Chimney has to take care of Jee alone, and Buck also somewhat gets abandoned again too. But it's not really Maddie's fault. She's no ok, her PPD has gotten the better of her, and hopefully she's gone somewhere to get help. I understand this also was for JLH's maternity leave, but it doesn't make it easier to watch.

I think it took incredible strength for Maddie to recognize that she is not okay and that she's not a safe person for Jee. On the surface it looks like a crappy mom running away but what I see is a mom who loves her child enough to recognize that her child needs more than she's capable of. Provided JLH doesn't decide she's gone for good, I think we'll see Maddie seeking/sought in patient treatment. 

I also think we'll see uncles Buck and Albert taking a larger role in Jee's life.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I've been tired of her going it alone since season 1.  I agree, her captain needs to give her desk duty.  Having a partner wouldn't do any good because she'd probably leave him/her and go off on her own.

• Love 8

I signed up for a show about firefighters, not some copaganda procedural. 

I understand what you mean. Personally I didn't mind the whole Hudson arc too much, but this show started out as sort of an over-the-top rescue show will cuckoo-bananas cases. Now it's like it wants to be a serious drama show. They can't have it both ways. The stuff with Maddie is just depressing and frankly this just isn't the kind of show to handle something like that.

Case in point, Athena and Michael are racing out to save their son and stop to laugh. Laugh. At the fact that Athena shot Hudson's junk off.  Not a moment for levity. I cannot imagine finding anything funny if I were that frantic about my missing child. Not even that.

The show needs to get back to its roots. Looks like next week might be a return to form.

• Love 12

This episode was a drag but at least the picture of Lou and Athena mada me laught out loud. I mean who in their right mind would put such an awful picture on their living room wall?

I hope Maddie doesn't return because I don't like JLH as an actress but knowing my luck, she will keep haunting every show I even remotely enjoy.

Oliver Stark looks unfairly good in that shade of yellow (I want to call it mustard yellow but I have a feeling my mustard and american mustard look vastly different 😀)

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Thank goodness, Eddie and Ana are broken up! Their goodbye scene was...strangely one of the best scenes they've ever had.

I know, right? It so weird. The cringe factor aside, it was probably the first scene in which I didn't hate them together. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I understand what you mean. Personally I didn't mind the whole Hudson arc too much, but this show started out as sort of an over-the-top rescue show will cuckoo-bananas cases. Now it's like it wants to be a serious drama show. They can't have it both ways. The stuff with Maddie is just depressing and frankly this just isn't the kind of show to handle something like that.

Case in point, Athena and Michael are racing out to save their son and stop to laugh. Laugh. At the fact that Athena shot Hudson's junk off.  Not a moment for levity. I cannot imagine finding anything funny if I were that frantic about my missing child. Not even that.

The show needs to get back to its roots. Looks like next week might be a return to form.

I'm pretty much over Lone!Wolf Athena, too. I like the character, and I love Angela Bassett, but I dislike uber!characters, whether they be cops or doctors (looking at you, Conrad/The Resident) or lawyers who break every rule and never lose or even face consequences.

But the laughing during a tragedy thing? Totally real life - at least my life. I have attended the funerals of two of my four brothers in the last two weeks, and I can promise you there was a lot of 'inappropriate' laughter. Sometimes you just gotta, or go crazy.

• Love 8

I hope Maddie doesn't return because I don't like JLH as an actress but knowing my luck, she will keep haunting every show I even remotely enjoy.

I've never minded JLH that much but I can say the show really doesn't need her. The times she has been absent, I haven't missed her at all. And now May is fulfilling the 911 role. I say go ahead and write her off for good.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I've never minded JLH that much but I can say the show really doesn't need her. The times she has been absent, I haven't missed her at all. And now May is fulfilling the 911 role. I say go ahead and write her off for good.

I'd miss her with Buck .

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

YES. I so wish they would. When I started watching this, it was for the over the top rescues  I know they have to put some personal stuff in, but I think it kind of ruins some shows if there us too much of it. It's one reason I stopped watching Law and Order SVU. If I want to watch family drama I can find it. Of course JLH was the end for me watching Criminal Minds and I cannot stand her here. They have to keep coming up with dramatic story lines because all she can do is "tortured face". I would love it if she is gone for good and yes, May is so much more enjoyable to watch. And yes, Warrior Athena has gotten very tiresome.

Edited by chlban
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Eddie did like Ana at first. I wonder if his panic is really about HER, or just the idea of a serious relationship with ANYONE.

Me too, particularly since he initially confided in Bobby that he wasn’t over his late wife’s death, when he first started thinking about Ana That Way. He might just not be ready.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

But the laughing during a tragedy thing? Totally real life - at least my life. I have attended the funerals of two of my four brothers in the last two weeks, and I can promise you there was a lot of 'inappropriate' laughter. Sometimes you just gotta, or go crazy.

Agreed, that struck me as one of the realest moments.

Also, I hope they don't write JLH off permanantly, if only because that seems like a really sad, shitty ending for a character who survived domestic abuse and went on to find happiness with a guy who loves and respects her. I want her character to get help and survive...and thrive. Agree that that bathtub incident scared the shit out of her, and she's doing this to protect Jee.

Also, agree that Eddie and his waffling makes him a shitty father. He should NOT have brought Ana into Christopher's life in a "mom" role until he was a thousand percent sure about her. That sweet kid doesn't deserve more heartache.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I think it took incredible strength for Maddie to recognize that she is not okay and that she's not a safe person for Jee. On the surface it looks like a crappy mom running away but what I see is a mom who loves her child enough to recognize that her child needs more than she's capable of. Provided JLH doesn't decide she's gone for good, I think we'll see Maddie seeking/sought in patient treatment. 

Yes, but at the same time, why couldn't she address this WITH Chim instead of running away?  She could have easily told him she was in serious trouble and needed serious help, and they both could have found an inpatient treatment center.   It's not like Chim is unsympathetic, or would try to stop her from getting help.  He'd probably lead the way.

I also wish the pediatrician had told her that babies are not the least bit traumatized by being underwater.   Since the baby was fine, it might have eased Maddie's guilt a little to know babies are unphased by being under water so she didn't inflict some kind of lasting trauma.

• Love 5

I'm shocked that they let Maddie leave the Doctors office alone with the baby.  I would think that they would insist that she have someone with her and insist that she not be along for a few days.

I kept expecting them to show her (or her and the baby) dead.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, izabella said:

Yes, but at the same time, why couldn't she address this WITH Chim instead of running away?  She could have easily told him she was in serious trouble and needed serious help, and they both could have found an inpatient treatment center.   It's not like Chim is unsympathetic, or would try to stop her from getting help.  He'd probably lead the way.

Because depression lies to you. It tells you that you're a burden, and that everyone who loves you would be much better off without you, that it would be SO MUCH BETTER for them if you just disappeared. It's very convincing. It seems like the truth while you're in it, no matter how ridiculous it seems from the outside. And nothing your loved ones say to you about how much you mean to them, no matter how sincere, rings true.

Depression is motherfucking bitch.

If this were real life and not a TV show, I'd be very concerned that she was suicidal. But I don't think they'd go there. I think that's too dark for this show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
31 minutes ago, izabella said:

I also wish the pediatrician had told her that babies are not the least bit traumatized by being underwater.   Since the baby was fine, it might have eased Maddie's guilt a little to know babies are unphased by being under water so she didn't inflict some kind of lasting trauma.

I think it kind of makes sense that she wouldn't talk about it with Chimney. She's not in the right state of mind. She's been so far deep in her depression, that her mindset, especially after her accident with Jee, is that she's harmful for everyone around her. She tried several times to talk to Chimney but she stopped herself because her mind is not clear enough to be making logical and sound decisions. The best choice she made WAS to admit she wasn't safe for Jee to be around right now. She just happened to go the exact wrong way about it by taking off. 

I do wish that people around her, not just Chimney but her doctors, had noticed that something was seriously wrong enough to keep a closer eye on her. I know Chimney knew she had PPD, and I assume her doctor was kept informed, but the fact that nobody realized how bad it was? Just sad to see. 

Luckily, this show isn't dark enough to go a different route with Maddie or the baby because she could have gone so far that it could have ended up much worse.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, izabella said:

This was the realest part of the show for me. Depression doesn't make sense and isn't rational. Depression lies to you. Depression shames you. I'm in a particularly low cycle this week and was embarrassed to tell my partner with whom I live, and I've struggled my entire life with mental illness and had to be my own advocate since I left my childhood home nearly 30 years ago. The stigma stays with you.

It's incredibly hard to get proper treatment for a mental health crisis in the U.S. No one who hasn't been there would believe how hard it is to get care. People think you just go to the doctor and are fixed. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I really appreciate that the show didn't shy away from showing Maddie struggling at a time when the world tells women they should be in bliss.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Also, GonzosGirrl, I can't believe I quoted you earlier without saying how incredibly sorry I am that you are going through something so unbelievably difficult. I will be thinking of you! ❤️

• Love 7

And yes, Warrior Athena has gotten very tiresome.

The problem is she never learns her lesson. She got the crap kicked out of her the last time she took on Hudson by herself, and in this episode she did it again. WTF. I know the show is invested in showing us what a bad-ass she is, but this is ridiculous. It just makes her look reckless and unprofessional.

I understand about inappropriate laughter and stress relief. But there is a big difference between laughing during a funeral when you have known the person is dead for several days and laughing in the middle of a crisis when your child has gone missing just hours prior. Michael and Athena didn't even know at that point if Harry was still alive. That's pants-shitting, bawling your eyes out time. Not chuckling at something you find amusing time.

BTW - did anyone catch exactly where Harry was supposed to be? An abandoned neighborhood (because, why?) and they just happened to be in the right house and the right room? Convenient!

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

BTW - did anyone catch exactly where Harry was supposed to be? An abandoned neighborhood (because, why?) and they just happened to be in the right house and the right room? Convenient!

It was part of a property that Hudson owned that fell through due to COVID. I think May looked up the area that was connected to Hudson's company? They looked for areas around Santa Clarita that Hudson would have some connection to and they found that property. 

Though, yeah, being in the exact room that Harry was in was rather convenient. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Buck is constantly doing reckless things on a case, endangering himself to save someone else, against  orders. All the rescue shows have people doing this. It's surprising to me that Athena would be expected to be an exception to this genre rule. She's looking for the man who is about to kill her son. If not now, when? And she didn't go alone, she had the entire fire station backing her up. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It was part of a property that Hudson owned that fell through due to COVID. I think May looked up the area that was connected to Hudson's company? They looked for areas around Santa Clarita that Hudson would have some connection to and they found that property. 

Though, yeah, being in the exact room that Harry was in was rather convenient. 

They searched the whole house, not just one room. They found the paint can in the back yard, with wet paint on it, and then searched the house for wet paint, to find the spot on the wall where Rapist patched it up after closing Harry in there. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Buck is constantly doing reckless things on a case, endangering himself to save someone else, against  orders. All the rescue shows have people doing this. It's surprising to me that Athena would be expected to be an exception to this genre rule. She's looking for the man who is about to kill her son. If not now, when? And she didn't go alone, she had the entire fire station backing her up.

Agreed. And I have to admit, as much as I'm trying to be sensitive to my own reactions to copaganda and not get caught up in it, I couldn't help getting an inordinate amount of enjoyment from the following exchange:

HUDSON: You lured me down here.
ATHENA: No, I *chased* you down here, bitch!

It was the line delivery. JUST. SO. PERFECT!!!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They searched the whole house, not just one room. They found the paint can in the back yard, with wet paint on it, and then searched the house for wet paint, to find the spot on the wall where Rapist patched it up after closing Harry in there. 

I think I meant more that the team managed to be in the exact room when Buck came in with the paint and they were going to re-search the house for any rooms with wet paint. It was convenient that Athena just happened to turn her head to the spot where Harry was just as they figured out the wet paint situation. 

• Love 2

I actually enjoyed the "I shot off his junk" conversation between Athena and Michael. It seemed like a very Quentin Tarantino inspired thing to do. (Full disclosure -- I loathe QT but I kinda recognize his moves.) It broke some of the tension and appropriate or not in the circumstances, that's what gallows humor is for.

I guess waving Lou's badge around and yelling about how he's a cop came back and bit Super Serial Rapist in the ass. The guy just wasn't as smart as he thought he was.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 5

This show is called 911 and not “LAPD: Athena Grant”. Can we have a break from Athena playing supercop please, so sick of it!

With Maddie being away, am hoping we get to see Buck and Albert playing uncles with Jee Yun. Chimney has suffered enough throughout his life. Hope this PPD thing with Maddie is just a minor setback and their little family will reunite soon. 🙏🏻

Warning to Eddie’s next girlfriend‼️He can be a jerk. Do NOT volunteer to watch Christopher for him (no matter how much you like/love that kid). No cooking, cleaning and baking for him too. He won’t appreciate those little things. He can be very persuasive and uses his work as an excuse to ask for help, so you must establish the boundaries as early as possible in your relationship. This is for your own sake. You’re welcome! 😘

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Warning to Eddie’s next girlfriend‼️He can be a jerk. Do NOT volunteer to watch Christopher for him (no matter how much you like/love that kid). No cooking, cleaning and baking for him too. He won’t appreciate those little things. He can be very persuasive and uses his work as an excuse to ask for help, so you must establish the boundaries as early as possible in your relationship. This is for your own sake. You’re welcome! 😘

OH. MY. GOD. SO. MUCH. THIS!!!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Oh, and Angry Bobby is hawt.

Yes, pissed off Bobby is a Bobby I am on board with.  I just wish that it was due to something like fatigue from working several 24 hour shifts.  Because I know first responders get tired of people's shit sometimes. 

I shall miss the hotness that was Buck-with-a-clipboard. 

I hope we hear about Maddie in a facility next episode, assuming there are no more scenes with her for awhile.

I thought Eddie and Ana had chemistry, and yet I didn't care about the break-up.  Yes, he should have spoken up earlier.  OTOH, Ana knew that his panic attack was about her and didn't want to face it.  I don't know, I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy for her. Because if I realize a man is having a panic attack at the thought of being with me, I'm taking that as my cue to exit.  I would certainly NOT stay at his home and look after his son, blackout be damned.  Eddie could have figured out the child care situation on his own.  But mostly, this is just a writer's problem, because Eddie was all in last season.    

2 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I actually enjoyed the "I shot off his junk" conversation between Athena and Michael.

And also, Athena was fighting for her life when she hot him.  I appreciated that she admitted it wasn't intentional, but had no regrets.  Because...exactly! 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I actually enjoyed the "I shot off his junk" conversation between Athena and Michael.

I laughed and I especially loved the irony of a rapist having his penis shot off but I feel like no one really tried to make this plausible.

1. Five days without power would have a HUGE death toll. Its a major modern city with no food able to be stored. 

2. Lou called Athena saying he caught Mr. Rapist. Athena didn't check for five days to see Mr. Rapist back in jail? I can't believe she wasn't waiting at the jail that evening so she could spit on him and make a sarcastic remark about how he was caught. Instead she's just ignoring it for five days?

3. Her gay ex husband had no idea Mr. Rapist had his penis shot off by Athena? I know HIPAA is sort of involved but I really can't believe this didn't come up a LOT sooner. 

4. Gay ex husband and surgeon lover were invited to Athena and Bobby's place for the crisis to watch the kid and promptly threw a neighborhood party? Gay ex husband really never struck me as that flighty.

5. Neither gay ex husband or Harry recognized the guy who beat the shit out of Athena and was currently on trial? Harry literally caught the guy sniffing his mother's panties and didn't yell for help?

• Love 3
On 10/4/2021 at 11:00 PM, Bulldog said:

Bobby kicking down that barrier and marching past those autonomous zone fools was the most I've ever liked the character.  More of that please. 

Yes, but that was just the warm up for the truly LOL moment when Peter Krause/Bobby roared up to the locked gate in the fire engine and told his wife's gay ex-husband:
We don't need keys!

😆🤣

I am sure Peter Krause has been waiting all his acting life for that moment. 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I laughed and I especially loved the irony of a rapist having his penis shot off but I feel like no one really tried to make this plausible.

4. Gay ex husband and surgeon lover were invited to Athena and Bobby's place for the crisis to watch the kid and promptly threw a neighborhood party? Gay ex husband really never struck me as that flighty.

They didn't throw a party . They told the neighbours they could charge their phones at the house because they had a generator and then the party sort of threw itself . 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, lianau said:

They didn't throw a party . They told the neighbours they could charge their phones at the house because they had a generator and then the party sort of threw itself . 

Yeah and it was a ridiculously large and extended party that they really didn't have to tolerate. 

• Love 1

My other most enjoyable line was when the not-Karen was showing Athena and Michael the video of Harry, and not-Karen is praising how smart Harry is and what good parents they are while Athena is high-tailing it out the door without Michael, and then they hear/see the car roar away and
not-Karen says: Is that your wife?
And Michael replied: Ex-wife.

LOL. No need for any further explanation than “ex-wife.”

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9

I really hope that JLH is only going on a brief break and that this isn't permanent, I cannot imagine many sadder endings for Maddie. I feel terrible for her and Chim, this is such a terrible situation. Maddie is really hurting and even if it does not make logical sense, her brain really is telling her that her family is better off without her, even if her family will very much disagree. The only bright spot is that hopefully we get more of uncles Buck and Albert helping with Jee, which sounds adorable, especially as Buck is probably going to have a hard time with what is happening with his sister. Seriously, why are terrible things just constantly happening to Maddie and Buck?

I am glad that Hudson is gone for good, this show really doesn't need some kind of supervillain for superhero Athena to fight. Its amazing that Athena's captain hasn't put her on desk duty yet, she is just incapable of not doing things on her own and rushing into danger. Even after her captain, her partner, her ex husband, her husband, her friends, and the audience have told her that she needs to knock it off, it still hasn't happened. 

Bobby just being over everyone's crap and shoving past the barricade of the autonomous zone was awesome, I really like "no time for this bullshit" Bobby. Also, pretty hot, not gonna lie. 

• Love 5

This episode was over the top, IMO. The strength of this show has been its ensemble, and the last 2 episodes have been all about Athena, warrior princess. They're all searching for clues to where Harry could be and know that Hudson is using Ransone's car, gun, and badge. Did they not think to maybe try to track the movement's of Ransone's car, as most every police vehicle would have GPS? Unless the system is somehow down due to the power outage. And again, Bobby and Athena's "love" just seems so forced. Different season, same lack of emotion between them. I do also think Athena needs to be knocked down a peg. She always seems to run headfirst into danger and is singularly focused. Hudson brought up a great point. When she found out he was still free, she never gave her family a heads-up, as she was so focused on catching him, and never took a step back to realize she also could be a target. Michael doesn't have the party if Athena had told him the situation right away.

And I think Eddie has some issues relating to getting shot last season. He's having panic attacks simply due to Ana. What exactly was she doing wrong? Was she sleeping around? Nope. Did she not like kids? She adores Christopher. Is she too high strung? Not from what we've seen. Eddie was worried about loving someone else after his estranged wife died, and Bobby helped alleviate those fear, and he took the leap with Ana. And now he's getting panic attacks from her. Definitely something deeper. I definitely would like to see Eddie and Buck develop lasting relationships outside of the firehouse. The jury is still out on Buck's reporter GF, but we'll see.

I kind of got a feeling something was coming for Maddie after she dozed off for a second and almost let her baby drown. Depression is no joke for anyone, and I can only imagine how post-partum depression feels for newborn mothers. Gotta feel for Chim. He just can't seem to catch a break. Gets stabbed by Maddie's abusive husband. His brother almost dies to day his child is born. And now Maddie has left him with the baby because she feels Ji isn't safe with her.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

This show is called 911 and not “LAPD: Athena Grant”. Can we have a break from Athena playing supercop please, so sick of it!

On 10/5/2021 at 6:13 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I do agree that one big problem the show has is Athena's refusal to call in back up when necessary.  It has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile.  That said, i don't necessarily know if cops riding with partners at every call is 100% a thing IRL still or if it is just something we've been conditioned to seeing on tv all the time.  I know in the handful of times I've witnessed police presence somewhere, one officer rolls up in a car.  But soon after there are like four or five police cars rolling up as well.  So they are each riding alone to the call initially, but at least more than one will show up.

Also, I don't feel that this episode reflects some overall Athena eating the show phenomena.  It was one episode that focused on them getting Harry back.  The show has a long history of using 2-3 episode arcs or singular episodes to hyper focus on one story or character.  We got all the begins episodes, we got the one where Maddie was kidnapped by her husband and Buck went into overdrive mode to get to her, we got the serial bomber episode that hyper focused on Bobby, we got a Josh/Sue centric episode.... so sometimes the shows pulls a closer focus on one character in jeopardy.

While I know the show loves to open each season with these big event arcs: the earthquake,  the tsunami, the landslide and now the blackout -- these are actually my least favorite episodes of any season.  I like the theme episodes where they just go out and do sometimes wacky, sometimes emotional rescues.  Also I like the high concept episodes like the taking of the 9-1-1 center or the bank heist one, those are fun departures.

But I think I disliked this arc the most because it was (ha-ha) so dark. The show skews more lighthearted and it is one of the reasons I look forward to it.  And I was legit pissed about Lou!

Beyond that, I think the show bungled Eddie and Ana's relationship.  But she made a lucky escape.  And I feel bad for the actress -- any actress actually that the show tries to now pair with either Eddie or Buck.  There are a subset of Buddie psychos that excoriated her on SM for no other reason than she was a woman who got paired with Eddie on the show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

While I know the show loves to open each season with these big event arcs: the earthquake,  the tsunami, the landslide and now the blackout -- these are actually my least favorite episodes of any season.  I like the theme episodes where they just go out and do sometimes wacky, sometimes emotional rescues.  Also I like the high concept episodes like the taking of the 9-1-1 center or the bank heist one, those are fun departures.

But I think I disliked this arc the most because it was (ha-ha) so dark. The show skews more lighthearted and it is one of the reasons I look forward to it.  And I was legit pissed about Lou!

Beyond that, I think the show bungled Eddie and Ana's relationship.  But she made a lucky escape.  And I feel bad for the actress -- any actress actually that the show tries to now pair with either Eddie or Buck.  There are a subset of Buddie psychos that excoriated her on SM for no other reason than she was a woman who got paired with Eddie on the show.

Totally agree about the big event arcs. They can't seem to end fast enough. At least in the other event arcs, there are different emergencies portrayed to showcase the scope of the event. For the blackout, the focus just seemed to be mainly on Athena. I prefer the theme-driven and concept-driven episodes.

And bungled is a good word to describe what the show did to Eddie and Ana's relationship. Though, I will say, looking at Gabrielle Walsh's IMDb profile, she looks to be pretty busy. She may have let the show-runner know that she can't be on the show long-term. 

I'm also wondering where was Albert, who's supposed to be probie. There has not been one mention of him in the first 3 episodes.

And it seems this show is allergic to killing off any characters that aren't bad. Even Lone Star killed off a paramedic and the husband of another character. Ransone survives for 5 days with his throat cut? Hard to believe. Last year, Albert barely survives his harrowing crash. Eddie almost dies from being shot. I'm not saying their needs to be a death every season, but this is a show about first responders facing danger every day. This seems to be the show of close-calls.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 1