Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AnimeMania

Acapulco

Acapulco airs Friday, October 8, 2021 on Apple TV+, it is a Spanish and English-language half-hour 10-episode comedy series that is a slightly retconned prequel to Eugenio Derbez’s hit film "How to Be a Latin Lover".

While the story takes place in the Mexican city of Acapulco in the state of Guerrero, the show was shot in the popular vacation spot, the Barceló at Mismaloya in Puerto Vallarta.

Acapulco_Photo_010601.jpg.photo_modal_sh

“Acapulco" tells the story of 20-something young Mexican man, Máximo Gallardo (Enrique Arrizon), whose dream comes true when he gets the job of a lifetime as a cabana boy at the hottest resort in Acapulco. In the 80s, Acapulco was the favorite vacation location for all of Hollywood’s biggest stars as well as royalty from all over the world, "the parties were wild!".  

Acapulco_Photo_010201.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Máximo soon realizes his job is far more complicated than he ever imagined and in order to succeed, he must learn to navigate a demanding clientele, a mercurial mentor, and a complicated home life, without losing all of his beliefs and morals due to shortcuts or temptations. 

Acapulco_Photo_010301.jpg.photo_modal_sh

The series, which is told in both Spanish and English, takes place in 1984, with Eugenio Derbez (also executive producer) narrating and playing the present-day version of the main character, Máximo Gallardo. The story jumps back and forth roughly 40 years.

The ensemble cast includes:

Acapulco_Photo_010101.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Damián Alcázar is Máximo Gallardo's mentor Don Pablo, the head of operations at the Acapulco resort.

Acapulco_Photo_010501.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Raphael Alejandro reprises his role from the movie as Hugo, Maximo’s older nephew. 

Acapulco_Photo_010401.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Camila Perez is Julia, the resort’s front desk receptionist.

Acapulco_Photo_010304.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Jessica Collins will play Diane, the CEO and the face of the resort.

Acapulco_Photo_010303.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Chord Overstreet is Chad, Diane’s son. Together, Diane and Chad expect nothing short of perfection for their resort guests.

Acapulco_Photo_011001.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Regina Orozco 

Fernando Carsais plays Memo, Maximo’s loyal and supportive best friend.

Acapulco_Photo_010302.jpg.photo_modal_sh
Rodrigo Urquidi 

Rossanna De Leon is Adriana

Acapulco_Photo_010102.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Vanessa Bauche portrays Nora, Maximo’s mother. 

Regina Reynoso plays Sara, Maximo’s outspoken younger sister.

Rafael Cebrián plays Hector, an energetic poolside employee at the resort.

and Carlos Corona

Apple TV+’s ‘Acapulco’: TV Review

The resort is named Las Colinas.

The older Máximo Gallardo (Eugenio Derbez) is telling his nephew Hugo (Raphael Alejandro) about his life story as a birthday present. Since Hugo doesn't speak Spanish and the Las Colinas owners insist that the staff speak English to the guests, they can switch back and forth between English and Spanish. The show include many popular songs from the 1980's sung in Spanish by the resident poolside entertainers.

S01.E01: Pilot
When he's hired at Acapulco's hottest resort, Maximo thinks he's scored his dream job - but quickly learns there's more to it than he thought.
Premiere Date: Oct. 8, 2021

S01.E02: Jessie's Girl
Maximo strives to master the art of the upsell while attempting to help a wealthy young man propose to his girlfriend. 
Premiere Date: Oct. 8, 2021

S01.E03: Invisible Touch
Don Pablo teaches Maximo how to become an elite waiter so he can work an important dinner. Julia tries to impress a fashion editor.
Premiere Date: Oct. 15, 2021

It’s okay so far. I didn’t finish the first episode because I was tired and lost interest. May wait for a few to come out so I can binge watch it.

I am enjoying it, watched two episodes so far. I’ve only seen Eugenio  Derbez and a couple of things but he always makes me laugh. This is a good light easy thing to watch. 

The first two were released last Friday, the 3rd episode is scheduled for tomorrow (10/15). Not sure if they're going with Apple TV+'s usual midnight drop or not. I think it's 10 episodes total, judging by the preview images on the Apple site.