Type keyword(s) to search

Acapulco - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Acapulco airs Friday, October 8, 2021 on Apple TV+, it is a Spanish and English-language half-hour 10-episode comedy series that is a slightly retconned prequel to Eugenio Derbez’s hit film "How to Be a Latin Lover".

While the story takes place in the Mexican city of Acapulco in the state of Guerrero, the show was shot in the popular vacation spot, the Barceló at Mismaloya in Puerto Vallarta.

Acapulco_Photo_010601.jpg.photo_modal_sh

“Acapulco" tells the story of 20-something young Mexican man, Máximo Gallardo (Enrique Arrizon), whose dream comes true when he gets the job of a lifetime as a cabana boy at the hottest resort in Acapulco. In the 80s, Acapulco was the favorite vacation location for all of Hollywood’s biggest stars as well as royalty from all over the world, "the parties were wild!".  

Acapulco_Photo_010201.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Máximo soon realizes his job is far more complicated than he ever imagined and in order to succeed, he must learn to navigate a demanding clientele, a mercurial mentor, and a complicated home life, without losing all of his beliefs and morals due to shortcuts or temptations. 

Acapulco_Photo_010301.jpg.photo_modal_sh

The series, which is told in both Spanish and English, takes place in 1984, with Eugenio Derbez (also executive producer) narrating and playing the present-day version of the main character, Máximo Gallardo. The story jumps back and forth roughly 40 years.

The ensemble cast includes:

Acapulco_Photo_010101.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Damián Alcázar is Máximo Gallardo's mentor Don Pablo, the head of operations at the Acapulco resort.

Acapulco_Photo_010501.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Raphael Alejandro reprises his role from the movie as Hugo, Maximo’s older nephew. 

Acapulco_Photo_010401.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Camila Perez is Julia, the resort’s front desk receptionist.

Acapulco_Photo_010304.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Jessica Collins will play Diane, the CEO and the face of the resort.

Acapulco_Photo_010303.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Chord Overstreet is Chad, Diane’s son. Together, Diane and Chad expect nothing short of perfection for their resort guests.

Acapulco_Photo_011001.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Regina Orozco 

Fernando Carsais plays Memo, Maximo’s loyal and supportive best friend.

Acapulco_Photo_010302.jpg.photo_modal_sh
Rodrigo Urquidi 

Rossanna De Leon is Adriana

Acapulco_Photo_010102.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Vanessa Bauche portrays Nora, Maximo’s mother. 

Regina Reynoso plays Sara, Maximo’s outspoken younger sister.

Rafael Cebrián plays Hector, an energetic poolside employee at the resort.

and Carlos Corona

Apple TV+’s ‘Acapulco’: TV Review

The resort is named Las Colinas.

The older Máximo Gallardo (Eugenio Derbez) is telling his nephew Hugo (Raphael Alejandro) about his life story as a birthday present. Since Hugo doesn't speak Spanish and the Las Colinas owners insist that the staff speak English to the guests, they can switch back and forth between English and Spanish. The show include many popular songs from the 1980's sung in Spanish by the resident poolside entertainers.

S01.E01: Pilot
When he's hired at Acapulco's hottest resort, Maximo thinks he's scored his dream job - but quickly learns there's more to it than he thought.
Premiere Date: Oct. 8, 2021

S01.E02: Jessie's Girl
Maximo strives to master the art of the upsell while attempting to help a wealthy young man propose to his girlfriend. 
Premiere Date: Oct. 8, 2021

S01.E03: Invisible Touch
Don Pablo teaches Maximo how to become an elite waiter so he can work an important dinner. Julia tries to impress a fashion editor.
Premiere Date: Oct. 15, 2021

The first two were released last Friday, the 3rd episode is scheduled for tomorrow (10/15). Not sure if they're going with Apple TV+'s usual midnight drop or not. I think it's 10 episodes total, judging by the preview images on the Apple site.

S01.E03: Crazy Little Thing Called Love

1200x675.jpg
A pop superstar staying at the resort takes an interest in Julia, which concerns Maximo. Nora goes on her first date in a long time.
Premiere Date: Oct. 22, 2021

Acapulco-Crazy-Little-Thing-Called-Love.

This is a 10 episode series.

I hadn’t realized this Maximo is the same character from How to Be a Latin Lover - will have to rewatch that. I love ‘80s comedies and Eugenio Derbez so I’m enjoying this. Not the best show for knitting while watching (darn it) since I have to keep an eye on the subtitles for the parts in Spanish. I understand a little of it but not nearly enough.

S01.E05: All Night Long
Maximo and Chad go on an all-night journey outside the resort, while the staff must come together for a never-ending wedding reception. 
Premiere Date: October 29, 2021

Acapulco_Photo_010505.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Acapulco_Photo_010503.jpg.photo_modal_sh
Anna Grace Barlow
Acapulco_Photo_010504.jpg.photo_modal_sh

• Love 1

Acapulco S01.E07: For Your Eyes Only

When he learns that an eye doctor is staying at the resort, Maximo sneaks Nora in for the day. Diane discovers problems with the hotel. 

Premiere Date: November 12, 2021

Acapulco_Photo_010706.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Regina Reynoso

Acapulco_Photo_010703.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Acapulco_Photo_010701.jpg.photo_modal_sh

• Love 1

S01.E08: Time After Time

As Diane shows a group of journalists a photo exhibit of Las Colinas' history, the story of Don Pablo's long tenure at the resort is revealed.

Premiere Date: November 19, 2021
Acapulco_Photo_010802.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Rafael Cebrián, Fernando Carsa, Chord Overstreet, Enrique Arrizon and Camila Perez

Acapulco_Photo_010804.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Eugenio Derbez, Bianca Marroquin and Raphael Alejandro

Acapulco_Photo_010803.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Damián Alcázar

• Love 1

S01.E10: You Should Hear How She Talks About You         

Season Finale

Las Colinas hosts a big New Year's Eve bash. Maximo tries to dazzle Diane so he'll earn a promotion. Chad makes a bold gesture. 

Premiere Date: December 3, 2021
Acapulco_Photo_011007.jpg.photo_modal_sh

Acapulco_Photo_011006.jpg.photo_modal_sh

• Love 2

The 10 episode Acapulco Season Two will return on Friday, October 21, 2022 with a two-episode season premiere, followed by a new episode every Friday.

Season Two picks up right on the heels of season one, telling the story of twenty-something Máximo Gallardo, whose dream comes true when he scores the job of a lifetime as a cabana boy at the hottest resort in Acapulco, Las Colinas. In 1985, Máximo must contend with upheaval at the resort, unexpected problems at home and a new love interest who just might rival the girl of his dreams. Under Don Pablo's guidance, he sets his eyes on one day running the entire Las Colinas operation by becoming Diane's right-hand man. Meanwhile, in present day, Older Máximo returns to Acapulco to make peace with the recent passing of Don Pablo, where he is forced to confront some unfinished business young Máximo left behind.

• Applause 1

Acapulco Season Two       October 21, 2022       AppleTV+        

Episodes 1-2         Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S02.E01: Break My Stride

Maximo is determined to start the new year with a clean slate. Julia struggles with Chad's surprise proposal.

Original Air Date: October 21, 2022  
FbF63euVEAA_kPv?format=jpg&name=large
FbF64HGVsAI2sOM?format=jpg&name=large

S02.E02: Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Desperate to pay off his family's debt, Maximo seizes an opportunity to wait on rival tennis stars. Diane tries to derail Julia and Chad's nuptials.

Original Air Date: October 21, 2022  
acapulco2.jpg.webp

On 10/23/2021 at 1:27 AM, CarpeFelis said:

I hadn’t realized this Maximo is the same character from How to Be a Latin Lover - will have to rewatch that. I love ‘80s comedies and Eugenio Derbez so I’m enjoying this. Not the best show for knitting while watching (darn it) since I have to keep an eye on the subtitles for the parts in Spanish. I understand a little of it but not nearly enough.

Ha ha. I’m a knitter too. That’s always my problem with the subtitled shows. 

3 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I LOVE this show & Maximo is one lucky guy. I can’t decide who is more beautiful: Julia or Isabel!

Me, too.  I wish more people were watching; I'm not ready to say goodbye to this wonderful show.

Memo is the sweetest character.  I really enjoyed the older actor who played Memo, too.  He did a great job capturing the younger actor's mannerisms and movement.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

when the two pool singers were in the office with Diane and suddenly the guy looks up and asks "who's singing?"

great meta moment.

I have heard rumour that season 3 has been confirmed. Things change, but that's better news than it being canned.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

These forums that are not separated by episodes are useless. Can’t even comment or read it until you’ve watched the entire season. ☹️

I don't disagree but since there are so few people commenting on this show I guess TPTB decided not to bother with it. (It's too bad not enough people watch this show since I enjoyed it very much!)

• Like 2

Acapulco Season 3,  currently in production has added Jaime Camil to the cast as Alejandro, the brother of one of the wealthiest men in Mexico and a new co-owner of Las Colinas who makes his co-owner Diane Davies’ (Jessica Collins) life miserable at the hotel.

• Like 3
  • Love 1