Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Education, Corruption, and Damnation

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Uh. So now Roseanne was religious? Since when???

I understand that Darlene maybe having a personal crisis but I can see her turning more to science, humanism and maybe doing more good deeds in her community (very unConnor of her) instead of religion. 

They really need to update the intro. 

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

"I said a prayer!" "To who, Satan?" 😆😈

I was just about to quote that myself XD. I also loved Darlene's response to the pastor's attempts to prove God exists. "Here's your mic back." 

But whew, that took a weighty turn there towards the end, with all the talk of Roseanne and everything.

3 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Uh. So now Roseanne was religious? Since when???

I do remember her stating she believed in God a few times in the original series - I know she was skeptical when Darlene started expressing that she didn't believe in God at one point. Plus, once she started struggling with her health, I could see her feeling desperate and turning to religion a little more. She changed in quite a few ways between the time of the original series and the reboot as it was, after all, so... 

All of that being said, I agree that there's plenty of other ways for Darlene to find whatever she feels is missing in her life that don't have to involve religion. I very much sympathized with her frustration upon finding that note in the Bible, and how her mom's struggles just further proved why she had a hard time believing in God. I hope she does find something to help her sort out whatever she needs to deal with. 

I did like Becky doing her part to help, though. Seeing them hanging out together so much was fun :). I also liked Becky trying out Mark's joke at the end, ha :p. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, bobalina said:

she says they believe in being good people

But non-practicing.  Great scene.

I'm not sure if I want to watch this tonight or wait until I feel like I'm in the mood for this storyline.  I think I'll need to have a few drinks over the next two hours until it airs here.

• Love 8

Roseanne also mentioned God during the end of her finale monologue:

”And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.”

• Love 7

"I said a prayer last night."
"To who, Satan?"

Such a prayer would make about as much sense as Darlene giving a particular god a try.  Becky getting sucked in to the "higher power" thing that excludes many addicts from the AA path to sobriety (which is the only path TV writers think exists), I can readily go with - we don't have anywhere near as much history on her feelings on this issue, so they can take her just about anywhere.  But Darlene we saw contemplate and stand firm against push-back even from Roseanne's vague "There's a god of some kind out there somewhere" belief, let alone a given religion.  (It's not about my feelings on religion - I couldn't watch 95% of TV if it was - it's about consistency with the characters'.)

"You'll find something that works for you [because this Jesus thing obviously doesn't]" - and Darlene heading back to the church to clean out the donation bin, because "Mom would have wanted it that way", heh - gives me hope this is going to right itself, but I know we're in for more of Pastor Phil, so I'm still a bit apprehensive.

There were some funny moments in that storyline, though.  "Here's your mic back" was great, and Dan's "It's not a miracle, I opened a drawer!" refutation was equally in character.  And I enjoyed this when a churchgoer clutched her pearls at the sisters celebrating the fact if they both wound up in a hell they could do shots off a demon's ass:  "You're welcome to join us, of course."

In a storyline much more to my liking, I enjoyed Becky's feelings at being old enough to be the mom of her classmates.  I really hope they do justice to this re-awakening yet tempered by time version of Becky's academic interest. 

Neville is not as awful so far this season, but I haven't forgotten the origins of Jackie's relationship with him.  Since it seems the writers are fairly committed to it, I hope they continue to show why he'd be healthy for her now despite starting out as a won't take no for an answer jackass.

So, in the end, I'm glad I watched.  I'm also glad I had three martinis first.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

There were some funny moments in that storyline, though.  "Here's your mic back" was great, 

I didn't think much of it, because I thought her point about middle eastern animals was pretty weak, and I can't imagine any decent pastor being that flummoxed by it.  If Jason Alexander is going to stick around, I hope his character gets better at his job.

• Love 2

Thank goodness ("Thank God" would probably be a bit too on the nose here) Darlene didn't go much further with exploring religion--it goes completely against her character. Like @Bastet, though, I'm really not yet convinced this storyline is actually over, especially if Pastor Phil is, in fact, sticking around (although I do like Jason Alexander).

As for Roseanne having a secret Bible--I can kind of buy it, maybe? Not that it was kept in a kitchen drawer that apparently none of the kids went through in forty years, but she did express some surprise/exasperation in the Christmas episode when Darlene was in her "fade to black" era and Roseanne found out about her new friend, Karen--who was Roseanne's age--and showing her her writings at the bookstore, some of which were about her not believing in God. I certainly don't think she was a faithful church goer or anything, but even with her healthy skepticism of authority/life in general, which she certainly passed on to all of her kids, I could at least see her having a spiritual side of some sort.

I'm SO happy Becky is back in school, and I hope she hangs in there and doesn't give up--it really HAS been 29 years since she was last in high school, wow.

Also, I'll say it: Neville looked hot last night. LOVED the haircut, lol.

14 hours ago, bobalina said:

In the episode where DJ is exploring religion he asks Roseanne  what she believes and after hemmin and having she says they believe in being good people.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

But non-practicing.  Great scene.

What was the line about Dan had in that episode about his parents/grandparents being Pat Robertson fans? I always loved it, even though now I can't even remember it. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Becky getting sucked in to the "higher power" thing that excludes many addicts from the AA path to sobriety (which is the only path TV writers think exists),

It's not as exclusive as one might think.  The meaning term "higher power" is determined by the alcoholic.  It could be anything from a known deity to the universe to nature to science to the spiritual principles of Alcoholics Anonymous itself.  The only criteria is that it is something greater than oneself.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I thought the writing for this episode was weak. And it's been bothering me since last week that Jackie and Mark have the same hair color now. 

12 hours ago, Aileen said:

Roseanne also mentioned God during the end of her finale monologue:

”And most important, I learned that God does exist. He and/or She is right inside you, underneath the pain, the sorrow, and the shame.”

But since they retconned the finale... 🤔

• Love 9
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Thank goodness ("Thank God" would probably be a bit too on the nose here) Darlene didn't go much further with exploring religion--it goes completely against her character. Like @Bastet, though, I'm not yet completely convinced this storyline is completely over, especially if Pastor Phil is, in fact, sticking around (although I do like Jason Alexander).

As for Roseanne having a secret Bible--I can kind of buy it, maybe? Not that it was kept in a kitchen drawer that apparently none of the kids went through in forty years, but she did express some surprise/exasperation in the Christmas episode when Darlene was in her "fade to black" era and Roseanne found out about her new friend, Karen--who was Roseanne's age--and showing her her writings at the bookstore, some of which were about her not believing in God. I certainly don't think she was a faithful church goer or anything, but even with her healthy skepticism of authority/life in general, which she certainly passed on to all of her kids, I could at least see her having a spiritual side of some sort.

I'm SO happy Becky is back in school, and I hope she hangs in there and doesn't give up--it really HAS been 29 years since she was last in high school, wow.

What was the line about Dan had in that episode about his parents/grandparents being Pat Robertson fans? I always loved it, even though now I can't even remember it. 

They followed Pat Robertson around like he was The Grateful Dead.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I didn't think much of it, because I thought her point about middle eastern animals was pretty weak,

Why? It's true. Noah wouldn't have had access to elephants, or tigers, or lions, or anything native to Africa or to South America. I'd never even thought of that, although I don't think about Bible stories much in general.

I thought the writing for this episode was weak.

I did too. It feels like the show is really struggling. I'm still invested in the characters but the stories aren't really going anywhere and this thing with Darlene trying to find meaning or inspiration or whatever she needs to turn her life around is kind of baffling and weird. She's actually doing quite well, having secured a good job and enough money for her own place. The fact that she and Ben simply aren't right for each other shouldn't be some life-changing wake-up call. The show has largely revolved around Darlene, especially after Roseanne left, and now it feels like they are struggling to come up with a story for her.

There are still a few good chuckles here and there but there are noticeably fewer of them and more cringe-worthy attempts at humor than there used to be or should be.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

It's not as exclusive as one might think.  The meaning term "higher power" is determined by the alcoholic.  It could be anything from a known deity to the universe to nature to science to the spiritual principles of Alcoholics Anonymous itself.  The only criteria is that it is something greater than oneself.

Yes. The point is the act of surrender, not the specifics of a higher power. I am not comfortable myself with 12 step programs but have seen them work. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, greekmom said:

They really need to update the intro. 

It was super jarring seeing Ames McNamara (Mark) at the table, AT LEAST a foot shorter than he obviously is now.

(And I still turn away every time Dan sticks his tongue out with the sausage. Gross.) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
20 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe it was hers as a kid and she just kind of hung onto it as she got older and more agnostic?

I'm agnostic as all get out but I own four bibles because every time someone in my family dies, I somehow end up with their bibles. Maybe Roseanne had one of her grandparent's.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

I didn't think much of it, because I thought her point about middle eastern animals was pretty weak, and I can't imagine any decent pastor being that flummoxed by it.  If Jason Alexander is going to stick around, I hope his character gets better at his job.

Why? She's right.

• Love 6

I'm going to start saying, "You're a nice guy. That makes you useless to me."

I didn't care so much for Darlene going to church but I liked that she got angry about how Roseanne needed help and didn't really get it.

Not sure why anyone would care if a 46 year old was taking a statistics class. If anything, they'd be impressed.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, bobalina said:

Why? She's right.

Right about what?  It's a pretty weak point to conclude there is no God around.  The Noah's Ark story is one of the oldest stories humanity has.  Either it was a local event that appeared to be worldwide from the perspective of the writer, and for all practical purposes might as well be.  Or it was truly a worldwide event and life was saved on one boat - in which case it was such a huge miracle and supernatural event that picking apart details about it seems silly - such as assuming they only had middle eastern animals (which is not part of the story, by the way). 

• Love 2

It didn't bother me so much that Roseanne had a Bible -- I'm also agnostic, and have acquired four Bibles, each a different translation -- but that the Bible was in that drawer in the kitchen and no one noticed.  I find it harder to believe that the kids wouldn't have opened every drawer in that kitchen, looking for scissors, or a packet of sauce from a fast food restaurant, or any number of things that might have migrated to that drawer.  A Bible would have been pretty noticeable.

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Right about what?  It's a pretty weak point to conclude there is no God around.  The Noah's Ark story is one of the oldest stories humanity has.  Either it was a local event that appeared to be worldwide from the perspective of the writer, and for all practical purposes might as well be.  Or it was truly a worldwide event and life was saved on one boat - in which case it was such a huge miracle and supernatural event that picking apart details about it seems silly - such as assuming they only had middle eastern animals (which is not part of the story, by the way). 

…or it is simply a fictional story.

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It didn't bother me so much that Roseanne had a Bible -- I'm also agnostic, and have acquired four Bibles, each a different translation -- but that the Bible was in that drawer in the kitchen and no one noticed.  I find it harder to believe that the kids wouldn't have opened every drawer in that kitchen, looking for scissors, or a packet of sauce from a fast food restaurant, or any number of things that might have migrated to that drawer.  A Bible would have been pretty noticeable.

I handwaved that it was just a random junk drawer with a lot of things getting tossed into it.

Edited by Aileen
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

It's a valid and logical comment. Period. And you appear to be accepting  the Bible as written.  Not everybody does. If you wish to continue  this you may PM me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, Aileen said:

…or it is simply a fictional story.

Even if it were, it would not stand or fall on Darlene's assumption about middle eastern animals.  And even if it did, it seems a silly point to base a person's spirituality (or lack thereof) on.

• Love 1

Question: is writing down personal prayers a real world thing? If so, is it denomination specific? This is something I'm not familiar with.

I don't know, but the minister asked them to turn to a specific verse (Isiah, I think). First of all, how on earth would Darlene know which page to turn to? Or was she just flipping through looking for it? Second of all, the pages she showed Becky appeared to be smack dab in the middle of the book. Where on those pages did Roseanne find room to write all of that? It's not a workbook.

BTW - is the minister supposed to be a Catholic priest? I thought they were the only ones who wear white collars.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

you appear to be accepting  the Bible as written

I believe the Bible does what it is intended to - establish God as the creator, describe man's relationship with God, and communicate God's plan for salvation. 

I don't believe it is meant to act as a science book or historical document, although it can be useful toward that end as well.  I'm sure many Fundamentalists might view my accepting the possibility of the flood as a local event as sacrilegious.  I don't claim to know exactly what happened - I wasn't there.  And neither was Darlene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Aileen said:

I handwaved that it was just a random junk drawer with a lot of things getting tossed into it.

Except that Dan said they called it "the drawer with the Bible in it" which would indicate that they all used that terminology to describe that particular drawer.

Yeah, Roseanne seemed pretty unhappy when Darlene started taking a hardline atheist stance, so they seemed like your average non practicing, but basically believing family.

And Roseanne herself always had certain layers that weren't evident in her day-to-day life, like her desire to be a writer and the fact that she liked being creative and expressive (per her discussion with Darlene about the poem). She just didn't get much chance to indulge those sides of herself with the kind of life they had.

I did too. It feels like the show is really struggling. I'm still invested in the characters but the stories aren't really going anywhere and this thing with Darlene trying to find meaning or inspiration or whatever she needs to turn her life around is kind of baffling and weird. She's actually doing quite well, having secured a good job and enough money for her own place. The fact that she and Ben simply aren't right for each other shouldn't be some life-changing wake-up call. The show has largely revolved around Darlene, especially after Roseanne left, and now it feels like they are struggling to come up with a story for her.

Yeah, this storyline is a bit hard to swallow. Darlene's character has been baked in since the original show, she's never shown any sort of spiritual curiosity and this break-up doesn't seem quite earth shaking enough to make her start.

Although Sam is being ice cold, that box drop off was harsh. But because Darlene doesn't show her emotions when she's happy, it's hard to tell when she's devastated, so the whole thing feels a bit off. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

BTW - is the minister supposed to be a Catholic priest? I thought they were the only ones who wear white collars.

Some Protestant denominations wear them. My friend's dad was a Lutheran minister (I guess he's still ordained, but he hasn't worked as one in many years; went back to school after we finished college and became a special ed teacher) and officiated at her wedding. I remember her trying to decide what he should wear because she wanted all the guys, including their dads, to wear tuxes but the collar didn't work with the tuxedo shirt. (He ended up wearing the tux, walked her down the aisle, and they had a stole at the altar which he quickly put on before proceeding with the ceremony.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I didn't care so much for Darlene going to church but I liked that she got angry about how Roseanne needed help and didn't really get it.

The problem with Darlene getting mad about  that note is that she has no idea when Roseanne wrote it.  It’s written in the context of Dan wanting to bowl a 300 game.  Was Dan even still bowling when Roseanne started back up a few seasons ago? His health supposedly wasn’t any better than hers.  Maybe Roseanne wrote  it decades ago when she was flat on her back that week due to back problems or when she  was pregnant with Jerry Garcia. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

Is it me, or does the remodel of the Lunch Box look really cheap, despite so much money supposedly being spent on it?  Most sports bars I've seen are really sleek inside.  This one it seems like they bought some Bears posters and scarfs and just hung them around randomly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Is it me, or does the remodel of the Lunch Box look really cheap, despite so much money supposedly being spent on it?  Most sports bars I've seen are really sleek inside.  This one it seems like they bought some Bears posters and scarfs and just hung them around randomly.

Yea it looks really bad lol. I thought they hadn’t even done the reno yet. It’s the same as before but with like a bears flag on the wall and some footballs on the tables. I didn’t even really see TVs unless I missed it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, UYI said:

Thank goodness ("Thank God" would probably be a bit too on the nose here) Darlene didn't go much further with exploring religion--it goes completely against her character. Like @Bastet, though, I'm really not yet convinced this storyline is actually over, especially if Pastor Phil is, in fact, sticking around (although I do like Jason Alexander).

The episode was from season 6 - I Pray the Lord My Stove to Keep. One of my top 10 favorites - just chalked full of great stuff. Hilarity, depth, and heart, which is what Roseanne offered when it was at its best.

10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why? It's true. Noah wouldn't have had access to elephants, or tigers, or lions, or anything native to Africa or to South America. I'd never even thought of that, although I don't think about Bible stories much in general.

There are still a few good chuckles here and there but there are noticeably fewer of them and more cringe-worthy attempts at humor than there used to be or should be.

Which is my biggest complaint against The Conners. It lacks hilarity, depth, and heart. I could even forgive the last two if it were funny, but it's just not. If I hadn't already been so invested in these characters (for almost 33 years now!), I'd see no reason at all to keep watching. Everything since season 2 has reeked of "Oh shit, we have to put together 22 minutes this week. Got any ideas, anybody? Anybody? Anybody at all?" It's completely rudderless and toothless. It's frustrating because I know there's a good show in there somewhere, but they just can't seem to get it together.

It really doesn't help that the younger actors are all terrible. The original hit the jackpot with Sara and Lecy - they were great adolescent actors that could carry stories on their shoulders, and they mined that to great effect to create a multi-generational family comedy. I'd love to see something akin to the Roseanne/Darlene relationship, but Emma Kinney is just not up to the task. And neither is Ames. That leaves us with characters and dynamics that have been played out over 14 seasons now, which really limits where they can take it.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, nokat said:

I saw Patton Oswalt and was excited, and then Jason Alexander. I loved seeing both of them.

Find a borderline hilarious that they keep having guest stars who have interesting histories with Roseanne Barr. Katey Sagal, of course, got the Married with Children job that Roseanne had auditioned for, and Jason Alexander was part of the Seinfeld cast that Roseanne had it out for over parking spots on their filming lot. And then Candace Bergen, whose Murphy Brown represented almost the cultural polar opposite of Roseanne in the 90s (and was rewarded with many Emmys that Roseanne should have probably won). Are they trolling Barr? If they bring Arnie back, I guess we would know.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Is it me, or does the remodel of the Lunch Box look really cheap, despite so much money supposedly being spent on it?

It's not just you. It still looked really run down, and those stupid footballs in cases took up a ton of counter space. I hope it gets fixed up for real.

I was more interested in Becky and Mark starting at new schools than I was in Darlene's spiritual journey. I don't mind the idea of her trying new things to help her cope with her panic attacks, losing her mother, going through a divorce and a break-up, Molly's sudden death, etc., but so far I find it boring and preachy.

I thought Roseanne died on the operating table, but in this episode they said she overdosed. Am I misremembering or did they change it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, UYI said:

It was super jarring seeing Ames McNamara (Mark) at the table, AT LEAST a foot shorter than he obviously is now.

(And I still turn away every time Dan sticks his tongue out with the sausage. Gross.) 

Yes! It is grossly disturbing! Yuk!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I thought Roseanne died on the operating table, but in this episode they said she overdosed. Am I misremembering or did they change it?

She always died of an overdose. Though she was scheduled for knee surgery at the end of S10 of Roseanne, maybe there was a line about being worried about it?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Find a borderline hilarious that they keep having guest stars who have interesting histories with Roseanne Barr. Katey Sagal, of course, got the Married with Children job that Roseanne had auditioned for, and Jason Alexander was part of the Seinfeld cast that Roseanne had it out for over parking spots on their filming lot. And then Candace Bergen, whose Murphy Brown represented almost the cultural polar opposite of Roseanne in the 90s (and was rewarded with many Emmys that Roseanne should have probably won). Are they trolling Barr? If they bring Arnie back, I guess we would know.

Just to clarify, Roseanne didn't audition for MWC; she and Sam Kinison were OFFERED the roles of Peg and Al right off the bat due to being the hottest new comics of the time period; both turned it down and that's when the audition process began.

But yes, I do find it amusing to see both KS and CB on the show now, given the connections and contrasts between them and Roseanne. 

• Useful 5
18 hours ago, tessaray said:

Question: is writing down personal prayers a real world thing? If so, is it denomination specific? This is something I'm not familiar with. 

I mean, there are prayer journals, which I don't think are necessarily specific to any denomination, but I feel a lot of Pentecostal Christians tend to use them. That's totally anecdotal, though. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

In my memory, seems like she was planning to get surgery, but she just didn't wake up one morning due to overdosing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2