Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Talk: Childhood Games Turn Deadly

libgirl2
  • Start Topic

Anyone watching this on Netflix? We have just a couple of episodes left and this is perhaps one of the most disturbing shows I have ever watched. It is a Korean show that is like Battle Royale with adults. Winner gets a billion dollar prize. You can imagine the competition. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, libgirl2 said:

Anyone watching this on Netflix? We have just a couple of episodes left and this is perhaps one of the most disturbing shows I have ever watched. It is a Korean show that is like Battle Royale with adults. Winner gets a billion dollar prize. You can imagine the competition. 

It's on pace to be the most watched thing ever on Netflix. So, a lot of us are watching.

I think many have just been waiting for a thread.

Episodes 4 and 6 were the best but gutted me the most.

• Love 11

I binged it last week. It's definitely one of the best if not the best versions of the Deadly Game genre I've ever seen. I thought some of the side stories were boring and didn't go anywhere (the doctor, the detective, etc), but the main story really worked for me.

The situation was kind of ridiculous and surreal, but it was filmed and acted in such a way that you had to take it seriously. I felt like I was right there with them in all of their horrible challenges, staring across the field at people who were going to die. I thought the social commentary was also really sharp.

Spoilers for the ending, for those who haven't seen it.

Spoiler

That final scene with Il-nam where he explains that he killed 400 people because he was bored and tells Gi-hun not to feel bad about taking blood money because that's how people get rich -- there is a lot in that scene, and I love it.

That said, it did bother me that the show tried so hard to find a way for Gi-hun to get the money without having to betray his friends -- even Song-woo, who kind of deserved it. I don't think it would have been the right choice, narratively, for him to kill Song-woo and take the cash, but it may have been a better choice for him to stop the game, and then Song-woo goes to jail and nobody gets the money because the money wasn't worth it, in the end. But I'm conflicted about that.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Racj82 said:

It's on pace to be the most watched thing ever on Netflix. So, a lot of us are watching.

I think many have just been waiting for a thread.

Episodes 4 and 6 were the best but gutted me the most.

I have to agree. I actually cried on episode 6. 

I love how I started out not caring about these characters very much and grew to care. The main character has grown from irresponsible man child to a compassionate man. I still have the last episode left so I'll see how that goes. 

Oh and those masks! 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I just started and 2 episodes in appreciate your discretion!

The coveralls and masks remind me of Money Heist.

Normally, I love spoilers, but not with this. I really want to be surprised! 

• Love 3

We just finished it last night. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

I knew the old man was behind it! I had read something about his story arc and even though I didn't finish reading, I started to lookd for clues. The first big one was that he wore a #1, I I caught that as he is the #1 man. Then when they were playing marbles, he talked about watching the kids play games and how he liked to play games. There is some speculation that Il-Nam is Gi-hun's father.  I'm not sure. 

Will there be a sequel, they said no, and I kind of hope not. The ending left it up to you to decide what Gi-hun would do..... go play again? Kill who is left out of revenge? 

• Love 2

I just watched episode 4. The fight scene with the flashing lights was breathtaking. The cinematography is so impressive overall. The main characters have well defined personalities already. I am glad I decided to watch despite not being that big of a fan of battle royale scenarios.

• Love 13

I started watching this with my college age son and I can’t stop watching! My son said the guard outfits are supposed to be the number one trend for Halloween costumes this year. I love the way the games are really psychological experiments and have to hand wave stuff like hundreds of people disappearing and no one is concerned. I have three episodes left and am dying to find out who is running this, why there are so many people in masks looking at different screens and what the remaining games turn out to be. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I started watching this with my college age son and I can’t stop watching! My son said the guard outfits are supposed to be the number one trend for Halloween costumes this year. I love the way the games are really psychological experiments and have to hand wave stuff like hundreds of people disappearing and no one is concerned. I have three episodes left and am dying to find out who is running this, why there are so many people in masks looking at different screens and what the remaining games turn out to be. 

I can handwave hundreds of people disappearing and no one being concerned because the players were poor and/or in crippling debt, gangsters, illegal immigrants, etc. Of course, their loved ones would care, if they had any, but police and society as a whole, nope. 

I binged this when it first came out and loved it. I was hoping a thread would be made. First off, I thought it was visually stunning. Those sets were amazing, especially the stairs. Episodes 6 and 8 were the standouts for me. I love the Deadly Game genre, and this one served up a sharp critique of capitalism. 

The one quibble I have is that Korean dramas never seem to be able to find Westerners that can act. 

• Love 17

I was wondering when this thread would be created. What a ride! It seemed like fun and then got so much more intense. Episode 6 was the standout for me, but the whole thing was pretty stellar. I'm glad it's getting the recognition it deserves. For the sake of people still watching, I'll stop there for now. Can't wait for S2!

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Evie said:

I can handwave hundreds of people disappearing and no one being concerned because the players were poor and/or in crippling debt, gangsters, illegal immigrants, etc. Of course, their loved ones would care, if they had any, but police and society as a whole, nope. 

I binged this when it first came out and loved it. I was hoping a thread would be made. First off, I thought it was visually stunning. Those sets were amazing, especially the stairs. Episodes 6 and 8 were the standouts for me. I love the Deadly Game genre, and this one served up a sharp critique of capitalism. 

The one quibble I have is that Korean dramas never seem to be able to find Westerners that can act. 

When they showed the stairs, the first thing my husband said was that it looked like the Escher painting Relativity. 

There are still unanswered questions though. So do we get another season? 

3 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

I just watched episode 4. The fight scene with the flashing lights was breathtaking. The cinematography is so impressive overall. The main characters have well defined personalities already. I am glad I decided to watch despite not being that big of a fan of battle royale scenarios.

That was something else! I had my mouth open the whole time in awe. 

30 minutes ago, DigitalCount said:

I was wondering when this thread would be created. What a ride! It seemed like fun and then got so much more intense. Episode 6 was the standout for me, but the whole thing was pretty stellar. I'm glad it's getting the recognition it deserves. For the sake of people still watching, I'll stop there for now. Can't wait for S2!

Yes, you just can't spoil it. Episode 6 was probably THE episode of the whole series. 

• Love 5

This is not the type of show that I usually watch, but once I started this, I could not turn it off. Episode 6 is devastating. It is so well written. I didn't watch most of the killing, and was unfazed by it up until episode six, I wonder if the writers intended this to be the case. I guessed who was in charge, but I think that the last episode still worked.

Spoiler

I literally yelled for the winner to get on the plane, but I understand why he didn't. For the first time in his life he was putting other people first. Initially it didn't seem like he cared about anyone, and now he is going to try and save the lives of people who he doesn't even know. I know that some people see this as the character sacrificing his daughter, but I think that the bigger picture is a character progression that shows him finally caring about humanity, and wanting to end an organization that is strong enough to hurt even the people who he loves.

but I think that the bigger picture is a character progression that shows him finally caring about humanity, and wanting to end an organization that is strong enough to hurt even the people who he loves.

As good as the show is, I don't think that I need to see a season two. I think that this series told the story perfectly.

Edited by BellaR
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

Something that I realized about episode 6, 

Spoiler

the players journey mirrors that of the viewer. They started out not knowing their fellow competitors, and probably not being too affected by their deaths. As the main character said, earlier they didn't even use names when talking to one another. By episode six, they paired together with people who they knew a little more, which had a bigger impact on them when their partners died. Beyond making money, I don't know what the leader got out of doing this "experiment", but maybe based on his final words, he did this so that people would start caring more about others, even strangers.

• Love 9

I heard someone on podcast bring this up. The Watch. This show has the secret ingredient that so many high concept shows in the wake of Lost never got. Developing characters that we genuinely care about and taking the time to progress those stories is the real reason Lost took off. Squid Game nails that aspect. Episode 2 is such a gamble but it's so important in terms of not turning this show into a redshirt laden bloodbath. 

The mystery and speculation is great fun but the characters, imo, keep you involved. It's why I still love Lost. I'm not complaining over ten years later about lack of answers. I got the answers I needed. The relationships between the characters and their arcs is what made it special.

Except for maybe the gangster and the high strung woman, I didn't want anyone to die here. 

You guys best believe there will be a season 2. Nothing this successful this quickly will be allowed to just fade away.

I normally skip international television but the concept drew me in. I'm so glad I did with this one.

• Love 23

I was proud of myself that I noticed that 

Spoiler

as the beds were moved away as the characters dwindled, all of the games were on the walls!

If you're interested in seeing some behind the scenes pix, check out the #SquidGame on Twitter. Beware, spoilers abound.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I’ve just finished episode one, but don’t know how much more I’ll watch right now.  I don’t want to be devastated.  I saw a tweet from a girl who was watching, and asked “how do you get past episode five?” Like that one did her in.  This episode became intense enough.  

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I’ve just finished episode one, but don’t know how much more I’ll watch right now.  I don’t want to be devastated.  I saw a tweet from a girl who was watching, and asked “how do you get past episode five?” Like that one did her in.  This episode became intense enough.  

There is a twist in episode two. As someone said above, it is an important episode, and is probably intended to hook people into watching. It's an interesting twist that for some, will make the killing easier to watch, at least until episode 6.

• Love 2

My 14 year old asked if she could watch this because I guess a bunch of kids at school are watching and talking about it. So I had to watch it first to see if it was ok, thats a big NOPE for her but I did end up binging it all last night. Not so much because I couldn't stop watching but mostly because I just wanted to get thru it. 

It's obviously very well done. Though I do feel like I was left with so many questions that I feel will never get answered, unless they do end up doing a season 2 and expanding on all of this. Shows like these tend to leave me very frustrated and unsatisfied.

Spoiler

I think the games were interesting and high stakes enough that they didn't need to go as far as encouraging them to kill eachother. At the rate at which people were failing the games, the numbers were dwindling fast enough. I know its a very realistic progression of how something like this would go, and it's perfectly in line with human nature but still it made it even more depressing to watch. 

I'm glad he finally went to get the boy out of the orphanage. I would never have forgiven him if he didn't make good on his promise to Sae-byeok. 

So the police officer died and never got any of the info out to anyone? Either way this seems to be such a huge operation I just don't see how something like this gets taken down. 

His brother won his game right? So then he was somehow recruited by the old guy to be his front man? I feel like I either missed some information here.

I get that those gold masks looked very cool and added style to the scenes with the VIPS but those things looked heavy AF and would probably be super uncomfortable. Were those jerks really going to sit there for hours wearing those things? 

Hoyeon Jung is gorgeous, not surprised she was on South Korean Top Model. 

Edited by nomodrama
  • Love 2

Finished watching this and I am not sure if I liked it or not.  It was well made and mostly well acted.  (The VIP’s were horrible but I think they were supposed to be)

I also felt emotionally manipulated and not in a good way.  The winner was obvious and the only real surprise was 

Spoiler

The old man was the big bad in the end.

I am still not sorry I gave in an watched like I was when I finally watched Tiger King,  I will never forgive myself for watching that show.   This was at least worth the time.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I was describing this show to friends who have declared they'll never watch it. Ultimately I told them it was a helluva ride and brought up some really interesting philosophical questions.

Spoiler

I figured out fairly early on that the brother was the head masked guy. I was surprised by the old man being behind it all until I found myself trying to remember if we ever heard a gunshot when it was (supposed to be) his time to die.

The one thing I didn't like was the cop getting shot. I kept hoping he'd show up again in the end. It had me wondering what the point was of that entire subplot. Unless...maybe he's coming back for season 2? He was kind of cute.

I was also hoping that Gi-Jun (? the protagonist) would offer to pay the debts of the guy who he caught getting smacked around on the subway platform. Anyway...his turning away from the plane suggests a season 2, maybe?

Also, yeah...the actors playing the Westerners were terrible.

Edited by ExMathMajor
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Anela said:

That's interesting. The way I remember it, Episode Five is kind of dumb because it concerns a bunch of the weaker subplots and stalls the main story -- but, looking back on it, I think it has a lot of gross-out stuff in it. Not scary, so much as something you just don't want to look at. I was playing games on my iPad, so I didn't really watch that part.

That said, you're still right. If you already felt like episode one was too intense, or like you wouldn't want to keep watching if it gets more intense than that, it only gets more stressful from that point on.

3 hours ago, nomodrama said:
  Hide contents

I think the games were interesting and high stakes enough that they didn't need to go as far as encouraging them to kill eachother. At the rate at which people were failing the games, the numbers were dwindling fast enough. I know its a very realistic progression of how something like this would go, and it's perfectly in line with human nature but still it made it even more depressing to watch.

Spoiler

I think that, in so far as this is supposed to be mimicking a reality show, it makes sense -- there's an element of every show that's about backstabbing people outside the challenges. But I also think it hurts the internal logic of the series, since it seems like the guards allow the contestants to kill each other and stop them from killing each other at totally arbitrary moments, just based on what seems most dramatic.

Same thing with voting to stop the game, honestly. After the first time it happens no one thinks to try to do that again, even though you can apparently do it when you're in the midst of a challenge -- the time when it would be easiest to get a majority to agree. If they had all stood on the glass bridge and said, "You know what? Sux to this," apparently they could have called it off.

54 minutes ago, ExMathMajor said:

Hide contents

I was also hoping that Gi-Jun (? the protagonist) would offer to pay the debts of the guy who he caught getting smacked around on the subway platform. Anyway...his turning away from the plane suggests a season 2, maybe?

Spoiler

I think Gi-hun's relationship with this money, and what he does and doesn't do with it is also one of the weaker points in the show. Almost like the series was determined to have him walk out with the prize even if it didn't make sense for his character.

If he's giving people suitcases full of money, I would have expected him to at least give something to Ali's family, since they were allies and Ali never did anything wrong. I would almost expect him to send something to everyone's family, since that's what would have happened if he had gotten his wish and voted to stop playing.

But, in the end, even the person who was too moral to want to take the money kept it once he had it. I'm not sure if that's a problem with the characterization or just a really sad commentary on humanity.

• Love 3
Just now, SourK said:

That's interesting. The way I remember it, Episode Five is kind of dumb because it concerns a bunch of the weaker subplots and stalls the main story -- but, looking back on it, I think it has a lot of gross-out stuff in it. Not scary, so much as something you just don't want to look at. I was playing games on my iPad, so I didn't really watch that part.

That said, you're still right. If you already felt like episode one was too intense, or like you wouldn't want to keep watching if it gets more intense than that, it only gets more stressful from that point on.

Reveal spoiler

I think that, in so far as this is supposed to be mimicking a reality show, it makes sense -- there's an element of every show that's about backstabbing people outside the challenges. But I also think it hurts the internal logic of the series, since it seems like the guards allow the contestants to kill each other and stop them from killing each other at totally arbitrary moments, just based on what seems most dramatic.

Same thing with voting to stop the game, honestly. After the first time it happens no one thinks to try to do that again, even though you can apparently do it when you're in the midst of a challenge -- the time when it would be easiest to get a majority to agree. If they had all stood on the glass bridge and said, "You know what? Sux to this," apparently they could have called it off.

Reveal spoiler

I think Gi-hun's relationship with this money, and what he does and doesn't do with it is also one of the weaker points in the show. Almost like the series was determined to have him walk out with the prize even if it didn't make sense for his character.

If he's giving people suitcases full of money, I would have expected him to at least give something to Ali's family, since they were allies and Ali never did anything wrong. I would almost expect him to send something to everyone's family, since that's what would have happened if he had gotten his wish and voted to stop playing.

But, in the end, even the person who was too moral to want to take the money kept it once he had it. I'm not sure if that's a problem with the characterization or just a really sad commentary on humanity.

I've just checked, and it was episode six, not five. I could have sworn she said five. :)

I almost kept watching, I want to know what happens, but not today. Today was a relaxing, rainy Sunday, you know? I found out that Goliath was back, so I started to watch that. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SourK said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Spoiler

I don't think he knew Ali's family so maybe that is why? Weren't they still in India? 

Spoiler

If he's giving people suitcases full of money, I would have expected him to at least give something to Ali's family, since they were allies and Ali never did anything wrong. I would almost expect him to send something to everyone's family, since that's what would have happened if he had gotten his wish and voted to stop playing.

Spoiler

I disagree. The screenwriter has confirmed that the ultimate lesson is to have faith in humanity. Initially, Gi-hun doesn't spend the money, because he feels guilty, and he is in mourning. Anyone with an ounce of humanity would have felt the same. The woman who helped the homeless guy restored his faith, which is why he dyed his hair to honor her. He gave his friend's mother money, because again, he felt guilty. Ultimately, he seems to make what is for him the ultimate sacrifice, by harming his relationship with his mother, so that he can do the human action of helping others.

Spoiler

I think that, in so far as this is supposed to be mimicking a reality show, it makes sense -- there's an element of every show that's about backstabbing people outside the challenges. But I also think it hurts the internal logic of the series, since it seems like the guards allow the contestants to kill each other and stop them from killing each other at totally arbitrary moments, just based on what seems most dramatic.

Spoiler

I think that allowing the contestants to kill one another was part of the VIPs fun, as well as part of the lesson. It made sense. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, nomodrama said:

My 14 year old asked if she could watch this because I guess a bunch of kids at school are watching and talking about it. So I had to watch it first to see if it was ok, thats a big NOPE for her but I did end up binging it all last night. Not so much because I couldn't stop watching but mostly because I just wanted to get thru it. 

It's obviously very well done. Though I do feel like I was left with so many questions that I feel will never get answered, unless they do end up doing a season 2 and expanding on all of this. Shows like these tend to leave me very frustrated and unsatisfied.

Reveal spoiler

I'm glad he finally went to get the boy out of the orphanage. I would never have forgiven him if he didn't make good on his promise to Sae-byeok. 

So the police officer died and never got any of the info out to anyone? Either way this seems to be such a huge operation I just don't see how something like this gets taken down. 

His brother won his game right? So then he was somehow recruited by the old guy to be his front man? I feel like I either missed some information here.

I get that those gold masks looked very cool and added style to the scenes with the VIPS but those things looked heavy AF and would probably be super uncomfortable. Were those jerks really going to sit there for hours wearing those things? 

Hoyeon Jung is gorgeous, not surprised she was on South Korean Top Model. 

14? My life was always different. My parents didn't clock what I watched like that. My first clear memory of going to the movies was seeing coming to America with my parents. I was 5. Nothing wrong with knowing what your child can handle and/or following rating guidelines. I was already on my horror movie kick by the age of 8. 

The violence, to me, is not always visceral. A lot of boom head shots. I do enforce, not always. It can get gory. It's watching people I grew to care for dealing with this that was rough for me.

• Love 2

I don't like gory or horror movies. I usually don't watch shows like Squid Game, but I was bored, and then I became intrigued after the second episode. I ignored a lot of the violence in the first few episodes, and fast forwarded through some parts. I have spoken to other people who stopped watching during the first episode, because they didn't like the violence of the red light game. I think that everyone knows  their limits, and it is good to monitor what kids watch, but more importantly, making sure that they understand what they are watching. For me, that is why I stopped viewing the violence as just been there to shock. The over riding message of the show became clear, and once I understood that, I perceived the violence in a different way.

• Love 1
Spoiler

I saw something interesting about how Episode 2 foreshadowed all the character deaths for the people featured in it. So for example, Sae-byeok held a knife to someone's throat, Ali trusted his employer even when it was clear he was being played (six freaking months!), Deok-su jumped off the bridge, Sang-woo attempted suicide, etc. I might have thought a couple were stretches or unintentional, but it does seem like it fits for all of them.

(spoilers for all of S1 btw)

• Useful 14
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, benteen said:

Wait till you see Episode 7.

I did but 6 really punched me in the gut. 

1 hour ago, DigitalCount said:
  Reveal spoiler

I saw something interesting about how Episode 2 foreshadowed all the character deaths for the people featured in it. So for example, Sae-byeok held a knife to someone's throat, Ali trusted his employer even when it was clear he was being played (six freaking months!), Deok-su jumped off the bridge, Sang-woo attempted suicide, etc. I might have thought a couple were stretches or unintentional, but it does seem like it fits for all of them.

(spoilers for all of S1 btw)

I just read an article about that. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I did but 6 really punched me in the gut. 

I just read an article about that. 

Spoiler

Gi Hun also swore on his mother’s life he would not demand his money back if Sae-byeok released him

Edited by calvinshobbes
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2

I purposely stayed away from here until the end.    What an intense series.    Episode 6 definitely gave me the feels.

I was so elated at the end when ...

Spoiler

... it was revealed that old man 001 was involved all along.    I picked up on several clues leading me to that conclusion. 

#1 He was the deciding vote for everyone returning to their old lives (though how contrived that they 201 folks left and it was a 100 - 100 split).   Assuming he truly had a brain tumor and seemed to be pumped playing "Green Light, Red Light", it didn't seem like he'd have anything to lose staying in the game.   So it was weird he voted to return.   

#2)  His backstory was not explained.   Also the fact that he happened to run into 456 when they were returned.   He even said as much 'what are the odds that they would meet up on the street'.    Pretty darn high if you're running the show.

#3) They didn't show him getting shot like they did the other numbers.   It was funny how he was playing 456 though with the pretending to think he was losing it.

#4) They didn't show his body being put in a crate.

I honestly didn't think they would give the 'survivor' (who I guess we all knew would be 456) any money.  I figured they'd get shot as well.  So color me shocked that they actually did.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, yellowcalla said:

Throughout the series, I noticed some art references. I just found this article that highlights them. It adds another layer to the meaning and symbolism of the show. For example, I totally missed the Scream reference but now I can't unsee it!

https://california18.com/5-artistic-references-in-squid-game-on-netflix-that-you-may-not-have-spotted/785442021/

We totally got the Escher right away but those others are interesting. I keep saying there is so much more to this show than "gore". 

• Love 4

My husband watched this a little while ago and has been pushing me to watch b/c he know I would be into it.  I am super glad I finally did. What a SHOW!  It is high concept, thrilling as hell (I was stressed and pressed the entire time) with excellent actors doing good work.   What an excellent zeitgeist moment!  Greed and your obligation to others is a global conversation rn, IMO, and I think this show really hones on the psychological aspects of the tough decisions we have to make as humans in our most physically and psychologically unsafe moments.  What would I do?  What am I ok with?  After making these decisions, am I too far to change or go backwards?  How desperate am I?  How much would my own vices compel me?  What can I live with? As homo sapiens, our amygdala wants us to survive and propagate, but at what cost to our souls and self? 

I love Gi-hun as our primary viewpoint. He's kind of terrible, but damn, if there isn't something good and endearing in him. Hot Cop (whose name I never got...Jun-Ho maybe?) is interesting to see some of the "back of house" workings of the situation they are in, and while I liked him a great deal, I didn't see the brother plot as giving me all that much. Sang-Woo, Sae-byeok , and Ali were all super compelling too and I was concerned/pissed/worried the entire time.  I was sad the Salesman wasn't in it more b/c Gong Yoo is a beautiful man.   

Spoiler

The Marbles episode broke my heart.  I don't know what I would do in his position, but what Sang-Woo did to Ali was dirty, and it pretty much (rightfully) made me not trust Sang-Woo the rest of the series...I questioned every move he made.  I was screaming at the TV.  

I was VERY suspicious of Il-Nam.  The actor broke me heart as an old man with a brain tumor, but I was hesitant and when we didn't see his body followed by the phone call, I was suspicious of him.  Glad to see I was right. 

Doek-Su and Mi-Nyeo were mustache twirling and a lot, but their last scene on the tempered glass was amazing. 

I so  wanted Gi-hun to be done with all of this b/c of all the trauma he endured, and with the high level success, I wonder if there is another season.  I also don't think Hot Cop is dead...we didn't see a body...maybe this is just me being hopeful. 

(shallow) Prior to this show, I watched Kingdom. These South Korean productions are out here doing the damn thing! I will always be amused by the inclusion of very hot model turned actors (and much of the time, very good actors).  It is clear that Hot Cop is/was a model....b/c my god, he is gorgeous. Good Lord...look at Wi-Ha Joon. (/shallow)

WaHaLoon.jpg

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 18
10 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

My husband watched this a little while ago and has been pushing me to watch b/c he know I would be into it.  I am super glad I finally did. What a SHOW!  It is high concept, thrilling as hell (I was stressed and pressed the entire time) with excellent actors doing good work.   What an excellent zeitgeist moment!  Greed and your obligation to others is a global conversation rn, IMO, and I think this show really hones on the psychological aspects of the tough decisions we have to make as humans in our most physically and psychologically unsafe moments.  What would I do?  What am I ok with?  After making these decisions, am I too far to change or go backwards?  How desperate am I?  How much would my own vices compel me?  What can I live with? As homo sapiens, our amygdala wants us to survive and propagate, but at what cost to our souls and self? 

I love Gi-hun as our primary viewpoint. He's kind of terrible, but damn, if there isn't something good and endearing in him. Hot Cop (whose name I never got...Jun-Ho maybe?) is interesting to see some of the "back of house" workings of the situation they are in, and while I liked him a great deal, I didn't see the brother plot as giving me all that much. Sang-Woo, Sae-byeok , and Ali were all super compelling too and I was concerned/pissed/worried the entire time.  I was sad the Salesman wasn't in it more b/c Gong Yoo is a beautiful man.   

Hide contents

The Marbles episode broke my heart.  I don't know what I would do in his position, but what Sang-Woo did to Ali was dirty, and it pretty much (rightfully) made me not trust Sang-Woo the rest of the series...I questioned every move he made.  I was screaming at the TV.  

I was VERY suspicious of Il-Nam.  The actor broke me heart as an old man with a brain tumor, but I was hesitant and when we didn't see his body followed by the phone call, I was suspicious of him.  Glad to see I was right. 

Doek-Su and Mi-Nyeo were mustache twirling and a lot, but their last scene on the tempered glass was amazing. 

I so  wanted Gi-hun to be done with all of this b/c of all the trauma he endured, and with the high level success, I wonder if there is another season.  I also don't think Hot Cop is dead...we didn't see a body...maybe this is just me being hopeful. 

(shallow) Prior to this show, I watched Kingdom. These South Korean productions are out here doing the damn thing! I will always be amused by the inclusion of very hot model turned actors (and much of the time, very good actors).  It is clear that Hot Cop is/was a model....b/c my god, he is gorgeous. Good Lord...look at Wi-Ha Joon. (/shallow)

WaHaLoon.jpg

We enjoyed Kingdom too. Overall, I am finding these Korean "Genre" series quite compelling. 

And that is a really nice picture. 

Spoiler

Gi-hun started out immature, self centered and irresponsible..... he grew so much by the end. So when he turned around, I just knew he just couldn't leave it all behind... all those people who are going to go through what he went through. What will he do? We might never know. 

On 10/2/2021 at 8:49 AM, libgirl2 said:

We just finished it last night. 

Hide contents
  Hide contents

I knew the old man was behind it! I had read something about his story arc and even though I didn't finish reading, I started to lookd for clues. The first big one was that he wore a #1, I I caught that as he is the #1 man. Then when they were playing marbles, he talked about watching the kids play games and how he liked to play games. There is some speculation that Il-Nam is Gi-hun's father.  I'm not sure. 

Will there be a sequel, they said no, and I kind of hope not. The ending left it up to you to decide what Gi-hun would do..... go play again? Kill who is left out of revenge? 

Spoiler

That's true the fact that he was #1 was a big clue.    Incidentally I missed who had shirts #2 and #3...*LOL*.     Guess they weren't important to the story.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Meedis said:
  Hide contents

That's true the fact that he was #1 was a big clue.    Incidentally I missed who had shirts #2 and #3...*LOL*.     Guess they weren't important to the story.

Spoiler

And he gave his number one jacket to Gi-Hun. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I also really disliked Sang-woo after that, while acknowledging that it's a tough position to be in. I thought the way the show presented him was really good, though. The moment things really turned for me was when he was about to lose the marble game and suddenly he got really mad and started yelling that Ali shouldn't know how to play the game, and should be losing, etc, etc -- and the apparent kindness of teaching him how to play and finishing the task in an equal, honorable way fell away. I knew he would betray Ali at that moment, but I also flashed back to all of the shady things he'd done earlier in the season, like hiding info from his alliance, and I was like, "Whoa. I actually knew who he was and I didn't want to see it."

In the next episode as well, when he pushes the glass maker and his friends are shocked -- the whole construction of that scene, to get them in position where that happens, and the way the writers control access to information, so that the audience already knows what Sang-woo is about, but his alliance is just finding out, right before they go into the finals together -- it's really, really good.

Also just the fact that a white collar criminal takes advantage of a migrant worker by pretending to help him -- chef's kiss perfect set-up.

• Applause 1
  • Love 16

Just finished watching the series with English audio (in some cases, bad English audio.) I'm now going to rewatch but this time with the original Korean audio and English subtitles. I'm curious to know if this will change my perception of anything, or anyone. 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, anniebird said:

Just finished watching the series with English audio (in some cases, bad English audio.) I'm now going to rewatch but this time with the original Korean audio and English subtitles. I'm curious to know if this will change my perception of anything, or anyone. 

Let us know. It's an interesting question. I always use subtitles because I want to hear the actors' voices even if I can't understand the language. 

Many years ago I went to see Bergman's The Seventh Seal in a Tokyo movie theater. I hadn't stopped to think that the film was in Swedish, and the subtitles were in Japanese, neither of which helped me. The cinematography was beautiful, however. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, anniebird said:

I always find that dubbing takes me out of shows. The voice acting just isn't that good, usually. I much prefer subtitles and the actors real voices. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 23