Type keyword(s) to search

Peanut Butter: Creamy or Crunchy?

• Start Topic

POLL OPEN

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes. Peanut butter is yummy either creamy or crunchy. I use both on sandwiches. I toast my bread because it comes from the freezer (we don't eat much bread) so crunchy or creamy works fine. I like peanut butter bunches & lots. On some bread or on a spoon, peanut butter makes me swoon.

I mostly just eat peanuts, but when I want a slice of peanut butter toast or am making cookies, I use crunchy.  As a kid, I was always so disappointed if I was at the home of someone who used creamy.  Or if they used Jif instead of Skippy.  (Not to mention if they didn't have honey, since I ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches rather than peanut butter and jelly, but that's another story.)

• Love 1

My kids aren't allergic, but I don't send them with PB&J just because it's something small I can do to make it a little better for those that are allergic. Instead they get Nutella sandwiches, but only Fridays.

It's creamy for me, but crunchy doesn't bother me. I had PB, honey and raisins as a kid, and I still do it today on toast. Yum!

• Love 1

HAHA I am your evil "opposite" sibling.  Hated Skippy, loved Jif, crunchy preferred, and once sat at a picnic table all day with a peanut butter and honey sandwich in front of me because I hated honey so much I couldn't eat it.  And I was at a friend's house, my own mom never made us eat anything we really hated.

I deleted the first part of your post because I have always wanted to be an identical twin and this is as close as I think I will ever get.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1

I haven't been able to eat peanuts for over a decade now as I've developed an allergy to them but I still remember and sorely miss crunchy peanut butter and Granny Smith apple sandwiches.

• Love 1

Anyone here tried Cookie Butter from Trader Joe's yet???

It's pure bliss---kinda like crumbled up ginger snaps with a hint of shortbread flavor in a nice peanut-buttery texture. I just discovered it and may have a new obsession; tastes great spread on sugar or shortbread cookies, or even pumpkin swirl or apple cinnomin bread.

I could care less about Nutella or hazelnut spread, but Cookie Butter? Yes please!

Mmmmm...and yes, I love it either way, but obviously I'm a die-hard member of the creamy peanut butter club.

• Love 1
Anyone here tried Cookie Butter from Trader Joe's yet???

I did. And...I thought it was awful.  :-(  <Hangs head> And I was so looking forward to it, too. I wish Trader Joe's would bring back their cocoa-dusted chocolate almonds. They were like CRACK in a heavenly addictive way.

I like smooth/creamy peanut butter, preferably Peter Pan brand.

I also like cookie butter. If you like it & don't have a Trader Joe's, there's also a brand called Biscoff, which you should be able to find--along with the cookies--at places like Kroger, WalMart, & others. It uses the yummy cookies you get with your drinks on airlines like Delta & it's really the "original" cookie butter; Trader Joe's is really a copy. A good, close copy, but still a copy.

• Love 1

Another fan of the Creamy kind here, but no strong opinions on Skippy, Jif, Peter Pan, etc. I even like the store's brand.

I bought sunflower butter about a month ago and really liked it.

I wondered if anyone has particular favorites among the "specialty" peanut butters: chocolate, honey, spicy, etc. Also, does anyone like the kind with the jelly already swirled in?

I started buying Smucker's all-natural creamy (the kind with the oil on top that you have to stir in) because it has no added ingredients--only peanuts and salt.  I like it well enough on PBJ sandwiches or on toast, but not enough to go dig out spoonfuls to eat when I'm hungry.  When I want to splurge and buy PB that I will eat by the heaping spoonful, I buy (on rare occasions these days) Jif reduced-fat creamy.  The texture and taste are almost like eating peanut butter frosting.

On 9/20/2016 at 7:35 PM, BooksRule said:

When I want to splurge and buy PB that I will eat by the heaping spoonful, I buy (on rare occasions these days) Jif reduced-fat creamy.  The texture and taste are almost like eating peanut butter frosting.

I hate Jif but my son swears by the reduced fat version. He says I have to try it, that it doesn't taste like Jif. I'm a Peter Pan snob and I won't eat any other kind. I like creamy and crunchy both but I prefer crunchy.

I hate Jif but my son swears by the reduced fat version. He says I have to try it, that it doesn't taste like Jif.

I haven't been able to find the reduced-fat Jif lately.  The only jar I've found was one of the large size, and I don't need enough PB to feed an army.  It's probably a good thing, though, since I shouldn't be eating that version.  

Reduced fat peanut butter isn't a healthier choice. There is less fat (which is actually the "good" monounsaturated fat), but they add a lot more sugar, so the calories are about the same as the regular.   The healthiest choice is natural peanut butter, but it is an acquired taste.    

• Love 2

I developed a mild nut allergy as an adult and shouldn't really have peanut butter anymore--rude, since I know what PB tastes like, and it's effing delicious!  Fortunately it's not a life-threatening allergy, so I sneak a Reese's or Goldenburg's peanut chew every now and then.  The 10 minutes of slightly itchy throat is worth it.  #livingontheedge

Day-to-day, though, I use the "I. M. Healthy" brand of soy nut butter.  It's the closest thing to real PB I've had, though it's best when the jar is freshly opened--it gets a little dry and hard to spread after a ridiculously short time.

• Love 1

I would buy the reduced-fat Jif, because I liked the consistency and taste.  I definitely know that it's not a better dietary choice, but it sure does taste good!  I buy the all natural kind when I'm trying to be healthy!  

I never was a fan of crunchy peanut butter.  I always hated it when I accidentally bought the wrong kind.

I can do creamy or crunchy, not particularly fond of extra crunchy, but it has to be Jiff. I'm a Jiff girl.

For "fake" peanut butter I don't mind Laura Scudders. ;-)

I like the Costco Organic made with Valencia peanuts, so creamy, I guess. And I recently tried their almond butter (the internet told me it was wonderful), and it's okay. 

I don't mind crunchy, and I like nuts as a snack. 

I am responding to this topic because it's here. Next stop, Everest!  

This isn't really a creamy vs. crunchy suggestion, but I like the peanut butters that don't have sugar added--just peanuts and salt.  I bought Laura Scudder's for decades, but it gets hard and dried out in the refrigerator, and completely unspreadable.  I would have to scoop it out and use my fingers to press it into a sheet to put on bread.

Well, I'm vexed no longer.  Adams peanut butter stays spreadable even after a long time in the refrigerator.  I buy the crunchy and put it on very soft white sandwich  bread, and it spreads easily and doesn't tear the bread.  It's changed my (obviously pretty pathetic) life.

I don't do PB, but I eat almond butter.  And I like it crunchy.  Though I was like 39 (yes, THIS YEAR!) before I even HAD crunchy (I don't know why I was buying smooth my whole life)!

• Love 1

I always thought I hated peanut butter. Turns out I just hate creamy peanut butter. It's too sticky. The crunch cuts the stickiness, so I like crunchy peanut butter. Too bad everyone else in the house likes creamy peanut butter. Or maybe it's better because I never have to share.

• Love 4
(edited)

I like creamy peanut butter, Skippy brand.  I put it on one slice of bread, and mayo on the other.  It cuts the stickiness.

Oh, and I keep it in the pantry, not the fridge.

Edited by Brattinella
because it is not the same as in.
On 8/13/2017 at 6:23 PM, ariel said:

I like natural crunchy peanut butter.  No sugar - peanuts & salt only. 

I like it, and buy it, but Skippy (crunchy) is still my favorite, so I laughed when America's Test Kitchen did a taste test of chunky peanut butter, and Julia said the very same thing.  I eat so little peanut butter I think I'm going to go back to the Skippy.

• Love 1

I like both but just buy the smooth now so I can also use it to make peanut sauce for noodles, or chicken satay. I grew up eating Peter Pan but since that company has had issues twice with e coli?? I switched to Jif Simple and Skippy. Also like almond butter, the Maranatha brand (I find it cheaper in Walmart). Love peanut butter but never liked peanut butter cookies!

20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I like both but just buy the smooth now so I can also use it to make peanut sauce for noodles, or chicken satay. I grew up eating Peter Pan but since that company has had issues twice with e coli?? I switched to Jif Simple and Skippy. Also like almond butter, the Maranatha brand (I find it cheaper in Walmart). Love peanut butter but never liked peanut butter cookies!

I love (smooth/creamy) peanut butter & peanut butter cookies, without peanuts in them. But I don’t like peanuts (I also like ketchup/catsup & tomato/spaghetti sauces, but I don’t like tomatoes). Is that weird?

• LOL 2