Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E02: Juggling Chainsaws

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 9/30/2021 at 8:56 AM, laurakaye said:

From the minute he opened his mouth, his voice sounded so familiar - either he sounds like someone famous, or his voice is what would happen if Yul's and Penner's voices had a baby.  I can't place it and it drives me nuts.

His voice, and kinda his looks too, remind me of Kylo Ren actor (Adam Driver). If you meant Xander.

Edited by Lamima

* this 3 person/butterfly phrase idol thing seems too complicated and potentially robs a person of their vote for the rest of show

* I get the idea of a girl alliance but at a minimum you need reliable people in said alliance--and Tiff clearly is not. Even if they save you with a merge, do you really want Tiffany running around potentially blowing whatever plan you have up? because it's hard to imagine her not doing that

• Love 9

I am looking forward to Tiffany forgetting what is going on and randomly blurting out that she loves purple butterflies at the next immunity challenge. The lack of food and bad sleeping conditions are clearly screwing with her. She can't remember what Xander has or doesn't have.

I don't like Tiffany and it is killing me because she is an MSU person.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Thinking that the Powers That Be may try to even out the tribes next week and take one person from Blue to go to Yellow.  That gives each tribe 5 people.

It would be an interesting twist ... instead of a swap ... to keep the tribes even as they go forward with the season.  And never have a merge.

Also ... we haven't seen anyone on the other tribes (Blue & Green) looking for an idol, but it must be happening.

Edited by DallasGypsy
typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, North of Eden said:

So much for breaking the fourth wall is the show still stubbornly refuses after twenty years to show the faces of the challenge demostrators.

The point of the demonstrations is to see the challenge and how it works, the people doing it are not important. Makes perfect sense to me that they don't show their faces.

1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

* this 3 person/butterfly phrase idol thing seems too complicated and potentially robs a person of their vote for the rest of show

Not for the rest of the show, just until the merge. If the 3 phrases haven't been uttered together by then, they idol holders get their votes back.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, OldWiseOne said:

The point of the demonstrations is to see the challenge and how it works, the people doing it are not important. Makes perfect sense to me that they don't show their faces.

Not to mention, most of the demonstrators are lowly interns working for peanuts + “the experience”; if Production were to show their faces, then TPTB would have to pay the interns SAG scale instead of slave wages.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

When she's writing down her vote, I wonder if she says " Sadly I evote Voce."

This is how you know we're all in withdrawal after the BB finale. We can't let go. 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Eighteen months of hanging out in sweats 'n tees while reevaluating and polishing up a 'new and livelier Survivor'--  and the BEST you can come up with for an Idol Twist is Butterflies; Broccoli; & Astro Turf?  Seems dismally discouraging from a fan's perspective.  Even if this whole 'concept' dies its deserved death after MERGE, it will STILL remain a sad (tho funny) attempt at Production innovation.  😖  🥴

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It's pretty dope how a lot of people figured out what Xander was up to with the whole butterfly thing.

I don't know, it's such a bizarre thing to say it's bound to turn a few heads. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Cozytea said:

I'm all for supporting my sisters. Woman power . But vote Tiffany off. No hate, but geeze.

I'll hate Tiffany for you. In fact, as they used to say on Television Without Pity, I hate Tiffany with the fire of a thousand nuns.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

I'll hate Tiffany for you. In fact, as they used to say on Television Without Pity, I hate Tiffany with the fire of a thousand nuns.

Lol. Thank you!

Edited by Cozytea
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ArtFossil said:

In fact, as they used to say on Television Without Pity, I hate Tiffany with the fire of a thousand nuns.

Agreed. She gives me the wiggins. 

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.) 

• Love 3

Television Without Pity was great.  I think a lot of us from there are here now and it's great!

The "move a tribe member" sounds interesting, but green only has 5 now. (I liked Sara)  And pity the Blue member who gets sent to Yellow.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Television Without Pity was great.  I think a lot of us from there are here now and it's great!

The "move a tribe member" sounds interesting, but green only has 5 now. (I liked Sara)  And pity the Blue member who gets sent to Yellow.

Agree to disagree on that one. OVERmoderated (for instance i got into trouble on the BB board when it was one of those votes like AFP. I posted VOTE ALLISON and VOTE OFTEN and I was given strikes against me for shouting and "telling people what to do" sheeesh! It got so bad the way they would ban people willy nilly that I had two or three names (my first was EMILYFAN after the cutie on Season 1 of TAR) before North of Eden. I kept getting banned for minor things.  This board took everything that was good about TWOP and left out the bad such as Miss Alli who had a hair trigger temper, zero patience and handed out strikes and bans like it was Christmas. Primetimer forums forever!❤️

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Agree to disagree on that one. 

I'm sorry.  I didn't know of others bad experiences there.  I never had a problem, but I tend to mostly STFU and so stay out of trouble, most of the time😎.  And I agree, Primetimer is wonderful.  It's been quite awhile now and I hope it keeps going.

Early prediction:  Danny wins.

• Love 2

I just read some pre season article where they asked each castaway which past cast member they would play like. And Tiffany said she'd play competitively like Ozzy. Talk about delusional. Too funny.

Edited by Lamima
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

Tiffany's delusional if she actually believes she only slowed the tribe down a couple minutes in the challenge.  That was truly an awful performance by her.  Between that and her paranoia, she should've gone home.  There's no way I see her going far, women's alliance or not. 

It's hard this early in the season to really get a good read on anyone for me, but I'll admit to liking Xander and DeShawn.  Brad seems like a total loon, with his "hunter eyes."

• Love 4

I bet Voce and Xander were really wishing they had kept Abraham.  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened with a 3-3 tie and who would have survived.  

Tiffany is amazingly delusional and useless.  And her voice is extremely irritating.  It’s the voice of a know it all combined with paranoid.  In fact she sounds just like my nosy neighbour who loves to comment on what everyone is doing as well as her views on local and national politics, and she will repeat herself over and over again until you agree with her.  Tiresome.  

I get that Evvie and Liana think she is their third in a strong alliance, but they must really be counting on a merge after the next episode in which they presumably vote off Xander.  I hope there is no merge or better yet I hope there is a swap in which those three get split up.  I’d like to see Xander and Evvie go together to a tribe and Xander warns everyone about Evvie’s betrayal.

The Beware Advantage... if Xander had gotten voted off, would Yellow’s BA get re-hidden with a new secret phrase?  Or would the new person have to say the same phrase?

The rebus from last week, in the solved clue video, didn’t Jeff say that this week someone would offer themselves up as a decoy?  That didn’t seem to happen?  Or is that just a hypothetical?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The rebus from last week, in the solved clue video, didn’t Jeff say that this week someone would offer themselves up as a decoy?

I think Tiffany was the decoy for a Xander vote.

• LOL 1

At this point, keeping Tiffany is the tribe's way of saying that winning doesn't matter as much as feeling all warm and fuzzy. I hope they get picked off one by one based on the fact that they're too stupid to cut the dead weight.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I bet Voce and Xander were really wishing they had kept Abraham.

Poor Abraham. The reason he got voted off last week was because he targeted Tiffany for being useless, and everyone else took that as evidence that he was playing too hard. I hope he had time to put up a big I TOLD YOU SO banner before Voce arrived at pre-Ponderosa.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

My theory on Jeff's hoarseness: He wrecked his voice during the challenge by gleefully yelling things like "Yase, dead last! No chance of recovery!" "Tiffany! Completely screwing! Over! Her! Tribe!" "Yase's just sucking wind in this absolute blowout!" "Oh, the humanity!"

Still wishing Jeff had simply gone with "Come on in, homies."

Edited by PhoneCop
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Tiffany is amazingly delusional and useless.  And her voice is extremely irritating.

This Jersey boy can tell a NYC accent and yep, looking it up, she's from Queens and now lives out on Long Island😎

1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Poor Abraham. The reason he got voted off last week was because he targeted Tiffany for being useless, and everyone else took that as evidence that he was playing too hard. I hope he had time to put up a big I TOLD YOU SO banner before Voce arrived at pre-Ponderosa.

But had Tiffany really performed poorly in the premiere episode challenges?

Also, Voce in his interviews has said that the Abraham boot was a sound decision for the rest of the tribe.  

Evvie really wants to keep the girl alliance going but she (they) really should have dumped Tiffany. She’s useless & way too paranoid. I’m guessing she thinks with Xander not able to vote and a possible merge looming she can cut her loose then. Like she said, even with Xander they are still losing the challenges. That said, Voce would have been the better choice. I guess we’ll see what Episode 3 brings but I’m not hopeful for their tribe. 

• Love 3

I know that the yellow tribe women are hoping for a merge/swap, etc., but I think this vote will put a target on all of them have they have made their alliance crystal clear (which at this point in the game most players try to keep their alliances on the down low). Additionally, the fact that Tiffany is an unreliable player will become really clear and usually people like to ally with those whom they can rely upon and who act in rational ways.  So, while the women chose to keep their alliance over Voce, their alliance may very well do them in.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jsm1125 said:

But had Tiffany really performed poorly in the premiere episode challenges?

Also, Voce in his interviews has said that the Abraham boot was a sound decision for the rest of the tribe.  

Apparently, none of the tribe got along with Abraham. They didn’t show too much of it (or any) on the premiere so there must have been a lot going on that wasn’t shown. He didn’t go into it much on his exit interview but he said it was best for the tribe and a group consensus. 

• Useful 1

Survivor was always a pretty straight-forward competition that was easy for me as a viewer to follow. This season it seems like they are patting themselves on the back for the complexities they have introduced: trekking up the hill, prisoners' dilemma, advantages/disadvantages of the immunity idols, etc.  However, for me, they have complicated the game to the extent that I am a bit confused at times (i.e. Zander won an extra vote, then lost it in addition to his original vote when gaining a potential immunity idol that is dependent upon two other people finding theirs and reciting nonsensical statements...).  I have watched Survivor from the very first episode but have been finding this season a bit confusing and therefore not as enjoyable.  I think the producers (and Jeff!) need to re-evaluate the essential concept of Survivor and its appeal to its audience.  I also think they need to quit congratulating themselves for the complications they add in order to ensure that their audience is entertained and enjoy the show (and are able to follow what is happening).  

As a side note, I am so not interested in the endless trek up the mountain and would much prefer to be able to see something of camp life and how they are able to work together to build a shelter and feed themselves.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Survivor was always a pretty straight-forward competition that was easy for me as a viewer to follow. This season it seems like they are patting themselves on the back for the complexities they have introduced: trekking up the hill, prisoners' dilemma, advantages/disadvantages of the immunity idols, etc.  However, for me, they have complicated the game to the extent that I am a bit confused at times (i.e. Zander won an extra vote, then lost it in addition to his original vote when gaining a potential immunity idol that is dependent upon two other people finding theirs and reciting nonsensical statements...).  I have watched Survivor from the very first episode but have been finding this season a bit confusing and therefore not as enjoyable.  I think the producers (and Jeff!) need to re-evaluate the essential concept of Survivor and its appeal to its audience.  I also think they need to quit congratulating themselves for the complications they add in order to ensure that their audience is entertained and enjoy the show (and are able to follow what is happening).  

As a side note, I am so not interested in the endless trek up the mountain and would much prefer to be able to see something of camp life and how they are able to work together to build a shelter and feed themselves.

Blame Jeffy.  Ever since he became an executive producer, it seems that he feels that every successive season must have bigger and better twists.  And he seems to call every new season “the best and most exciting ever”.  I stopped believing his lies years ago.

He is a very narcissistic person who thrives on the adulation of the fans.  I’m sure he has set up a google alert for his name and spends hours scouring the internet each day looking forward praise.  He probably lurks on boards like this one wanting to see people thinking he’s great.

I think it is nice to see new things but the convoluted twists can go a bit too far.  The Beware Advantage is interesting but not fully explained that well.  I’m still wondering what would have happened if Xander got voted out with it.  I think the whole thing would have been a bit more interesting if Evvie hadn’t blabbed about it to everyone.  

The Prisoner’s Dilemma was also neat in the premiere. But then it was repeated exactly the same way this week.  Exact same choice.  And because the prior people had told everyone about it, it’s really boring to see Evvie and Dontell discussing the choice in advance.  And yeah, the same boring overhead shot of the trek up the hill.

I really would have rather have seen what the two tribes that lost their flint did.  Did they really not eat?   Did they try foraging for food?   Would be much more interesting to me than seeing the same twist again.

• Love 9
On 9/30/2021 at 8:05 PM, ZeeEnnui said:

You'd think after 41 freaking seasons people would learn how to pack for Survivor. I'm sorry but in addition to the dictionary definition of an Epic Fail, Tiffany would have chosen something other than saggy boy shorts ...

Evvie's broad, horizontal-striped rainbow shorts with the contrasting crotch fabric that looked like a cod piece wasn't doing her any favors either.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Tiffany reminds me very much of Karishma.  Out of shape, annoying voice, useless in challenges to the point of being detrimental to the team, somehow thinks she will win the game based on her social game alone, extremely delusional.

• Love 6

I was thinking about it earlier and I am quite sure that Shen is getting a winner's edit. The whole thing with the lines of "I'll pray for you while kicking you out and betraying you" and also the song that she was singing and the editors went out of their way to create it and play it while she was singing it, I mean, I think she is winning.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

Yes, Seacliffsal.  Agreed! 👍

How come I can comprehend Rachel Maddow; NBC Nightly News; CNN, etc, -yet each year I struggle a little bit more & more to follow SURVIVOR!?  I want "twists" that entertain me ala Alfred Hitchcock...or The Twilight Zone.  NOT silly convoluted  twists that have me going:  "HUH?!  What the hey!  What does that actually MEAN?"  And, then, at Tribal Council, as I'm still trying to sort it all out, Mr. J. P. sits back and smirks as he allows the endless, furtive whispering amongst tribe members.  PLEASE JP, bring back the FUN that was once an essential part of SURVIVOR for both your contestants AND your viewers!  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Random thoughts on episode 2 "The Mole":

• Tiffany's challenge sabotage was so deliberate I don't think she's the Mole
  • Jeff's bland predictions about tribal are actually only grazing the 4th wall
  • Voce's last second back story at tribal sealed his doom

Please tell me if it is Under Armour or United Airlines that paid for the UA tribe name.  Luv U.

• Love 2

I'm actually going to defend voting out Voce (and I liked him, so I'm sad to see him go).  The goal of this game is not to move your tribe forward.  It's to move yourself forward.  One way to do that is by winning challenges which saves your whole tribe (even the ones who aren't you allies).  As Evvie said, yellow wasn't winning anyway. 

Another way is to make sure that no one votes for you if go to tribal.   Neither Evvie nor Liana has her name come up yet.  And Evvie now has a connection on another tribe.  Those two women are playing smart.    Personally, I would have voted out Voce over Xander, too.  He's really overplaying his hand and if they lose again, he's an easy out as he doesn't have a vote.

The only way for Xander to activate his idol is if players from 2 other tribes get theirs.  And, Evvie and Liana would know it because those players would have to announce it at the challenge.  Worst case scenario, Xander plays his idol and Tiffany goes home.

Of course, a tribe swap could throw all these plans into chaos, but then it wouldn't matter whether it was Tiffany gone or Voce  gone- your goal would still be to keep yourself safe.

• Love 5

I also wonder about the 3 part idol and a tribe swap.  If Xander gets sent to a different tribe at a different beach, he could find another part of the clue.  Then, once someone finds the 3rd, he has 2?  

Also, Evvie, Liana , and Tiffany know the other 2 phrases.  They could convince one of their new  tribemates to say one, and completely screw Xander.  Actually,  THAT would be gameplay I could get behind.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2021 at 12:04 AM, PaperTree said:

I'm sorry.  I didn't know of others bad experiences there.  I never had a problem, but I tend to mostly STFU and so stay out of trouble, most of the time😎.  And I agree, Primetimer is wonderful.  It's been quite awhile now and I hope it keeps going.

I had the same experience.  The two things I miss a lot about TWoP are the really funny recaps and the rule to not start a post with "um.." because it was condescending.  I mean, I know some might think that is micromanaging, but I found it made the dialogue much more pleasant and refreshing, even when people disagreed.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:21 PM, blackwing said:

I really would have rather have seen what the two tribes that lost their flint did.  Did they really not eat?   Did they try foraging for food?   Would be much more interesting to me than seeing the same twist again.

I would have loved to see the reaction to the breadfruit.

I do wish the treks up the hill would change.  There was so much up and down that hill (same hill?) in the Winners at War season...it's starting to get tedious.

The butterfly quote never had anything about purple in it, which made Tiffany's frantic reactions seem all the more irrational.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

The butterfly quote never had anything about purple in it, which made Tiffany's frantic reactions seem all the more irrational.

Translation: unless her name comes up in the conversation, Tiffany is not really paying jack shit worth of attention to anything anybody else says.  😆

• LOL 5

So I didn't like that tiffany's paranoia was able to overcome the logic from both Evvie and Liana.  its clearly been only a few number of days and you all know about both of Xander's powers.  there's no logic that he'd have yet another one that somehow no one knows about, since Xander has been pretty open about his stuff.  

OTOH, voting out Voce, who has a vote, means the women completely control the next vote, unless blue and green find their idols.  and it seems that because Xander is more open, you may be able to convince him of some reason to vote out Voce and why he still has to work with you, if things switch up.

• Like 1

I'm a bit late. Catching up on these past three seasons now. But I had to comment.

These dumbasses. They know for a fact that Xander is vulnerable right now. They know he has already accumulated two advantages, that could kick in it any second, and they aren't trying to get him out? Since Xander can't vote they could have even split the vote, by putting two on him and one on Voce. That would have been maximum safety for Tiff and still gotten Xander out.

Tbh considering how irrational paranoid Tiff was, I might have even changed my vote to her. You don't stick with a person like that. Xander should be the first you kick in a normal situation, because of all of his advantages, but at least he seems stable and reliable and if you can trust him, his advantages could become your advantages for a while. Tiff on the other hand might stab you in the back at any moment, for no reason at all, other than that she's carzy.

So horrible gameplay all around. Voc is the one person they should not have voted out.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:01 AM, mojoween said:

Very very cool that Deshawn and Voce are doctors, but it’s a smidge unsettling for physicians to say how not smart they are.

Physicians are just body-mechanics. You don't have to be smart to be one. You just need to have a good work ethic and memory.

I'd rather have a doctor who works hard than one who just aced his exams because he's smart and then forgot everything right after.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:49 AM, KaveDweller said:

In case Xander had an idol. One he could use, on top of the in-active 1/3 of an idol Evvie saw the note for.

It is terrible logic.

Especially terrible in light of the fact that Xander and Voce only had one vote between them. So the women could have split their votes, 2 for Xander, 1 for Voce, and Tiff would have still been save. Worst case, if Xander had a magical third advantage, would have been a second vote between Voce and Tiff and that would have gone 3:1.

On 9/30/2021 at 5:28 AM, KaveDweller said:

Evvie's argument seemed to be that if a woman goes to the end with men, they will likely get the credit/votes. History shows this is true. So it makes sense to want to go to the end with all women. However, you have to get to the end. I don't think Tiffany is going to help with that, but I've been surprised by contestants before.

The men usually do play the better games and the women are just the hangers on. But there are exceptions, like Sandra, Denise, Parvati, etc.

Just play a good game and people will recognise it. Be the exception to the rule and you'll win.