Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Requiem

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 10/6/2021 at 10:26 AM, tribeca said:

In all three timelines I feel like Jenny is still in love with Joe. 

She sort of seems like she still loves Nurse Joe, but she seems very much over him in the other two.  She had no issues marrying a different guy  in Cop timeline and Rocker timeline and is still keeping Lucas a secret from Cop Joe and her husband is worried about her ever telling him of his existence.  Plus, she only thought 24 hours of contact was enough notice to try to tell him she was pregnant!

I wonder how it’ll play out legally.  Legal notice of the adoption would have been required and if that wasn’t done……well, the adoption might not be legal.  Of course, who would want to upset that after all these years, but still.  

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder how it’ll play out legally.  Legal notice of the adoption would have been required and if that wasn’t done……well, the adoption might not be legal.  Of course, who would want to upset that after all these years, but still.  

Jenny didn't put Joe's name on the birth certificate - she left it blank.  The adoption agency in the Rocker Joe timeline couldn't even take things any further because of that.  Legally, Joe doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding custody or visitation.

I do wonder if they plan really taking things to extremes and having the child dead in this time line.  A family could have adopted him, but when he developed issues, they gave him back during the grace period.  He could have languished until he died.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

Jenny didn't put Joe's name on the birth certificate - she left it blank.  The adoption agency in the Rocker Joe timeline couldn't even take things any further because of that.  Legally, Joe doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding custody or visitation.

I do wonder if they plan really taking things to extremes and having the child dead in this time line.  A family could have adopted him, but when he developed issues, they gave him back during the grace period.  He could have languished until he died.

Perhaps, NY law allows mothers to place a child for adoption while hiding it from a bio father. In my state, notice is required by publication, even if mother is uncertain who the father is.

I am curious what the adopted child’s situation will be when he is finally located.  

6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Perhaps, NY law allows mothers to place a child for adoption while hiding it from a bio father.

In NY, the mother pretty much has all the rights  - especially if she does not identify the biological father on the birth certificate.  They could choose not to identify who the daddy is regardless of reason.

13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's legal in NYS

"If the child's father is not known, or is unidentified, the father's agreement to the adoption is not required" - also "if the child's father is known, but he has not had much contact with the child, his agreement is also not required."

On 10/11/2021 at 9:33 PM, bros402 said:

But that begs the question. Rocker Joe's identity as the father was not unknown -- it was known to Jenny. And the only reason Rocker Joe had no contact with the child is that he never had the opportunity to have contact before the adoption because he never knew the child even existed. So I don't think that rule can apply here. Rocker Joe could argue that Jenny knew he was the father but never gave him the chance to be a father to the child because she deliberately withheld the fact of the child's existence from him.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

But that begs the question. Rocker Joe's identity as the father was not unknown -- it was known to Jenny. And the only reason Rocker Joe had no contact with the child is that he never had the opportunity to have contact before the adoption because he never knew the child even existed. So I don't think that rule can apply here. Rocker Joe could argue that Jenny knew he was the father but never gave him the chance to be a father to the child because she deliberately withheld the fact of the child's existence from him.

It wasn't unknown, but it was unidentified, since Jenny didn't name him on the birth certificate. Apparently that is legally ok in NY and the adoption could go through. You can certainly argue it is shady and unethical on Jenny's part.

Joe could probably sue though to try and regain his rights 10 years later. I have no idea his chances. 

• Love 1
On 10/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, legaleagle53 said:

The father was unidentified on the birth certificate

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, bros402 said:

The father was unidentified on the birth certificate

That doesn't mean that his identity was unknown or that he couldn't have been identified.  Jenny knew damn well that Rocker Joe was the father. She deliberately chose to cut him out of her and their child's lives by withholding information that he had the right to know -- and all to punish him for not going to be with her right after graduation!

Edited by legaleagle53
On 10/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, KaveDweller said:

Joe could probably sue though to try and regain his rights 10 years later. I have no idea his chances. 

IRL I'd say nil.  Besides, "Zeke" has a family/connections and Rocker Joe and Jenny are essentially strangers linked only by biology.  If he were an infant, perhaps he would have had a better chance of being reclaimed.  Due to Chekov's party flyer in the last episode, I have a hunch Rocker Joe and/or Jenny will be crashing the Halloween party to meet him. 

11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

She deliberately chose to cut him out of her and their child's lives by withholding information that he had the right to know -- and all to punish him for not going to be with her right after graduation!

But she tried contacting him for a whole 24 hours!!  It wasn't her fault!!/sarc.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That doesn't mean that his identity was unknown or that he couldn't have been identified.  Jenny knew damn well that Rocker Joe was the father. She deliberately chose to cut him out of her and their child's lives by withholding information that he had the right to know -- and all to punish him for not going to be with her right after graduation!

It is pretty crappy of Jenny, but it doesn't make it illegal.

I assume the law is written that way to protect women/kids from abusive fathers. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh yes, it was horrible of Jenny to do that, but she isn't/wasn't legally required to list Rocker Joe on the birth certificate

Ok...who is the one that decides the camera operation? Director? Cinematographer? Editor? Idk... but these family discussions where a character says ONE WORD & the camera has to flash to that person is TRULY DIZZYING. The drama of this show has definitely sucked me in but the camera work is noticeably shoddy. I really do get sort of headachey when I watch it.  Maybe it's the fast pace they're also utilizing to squeeze in all three plotlines? I don't know  if this show will make it past one season. 

Oh man!!! That's why Joe doesn't make decisions! Because he feels like his decision not to go to the baseball or whatever game made his dad go to work & also the uncle probably went in his stead so he likely also has some element of survivor's guilt. So. Sad. I don't blame him for having these issues. But decisions can lead to a lot of outcomes in life & we do have to accept what is even though it's difficult many times. 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:44 AM, Shanna Marie said:

Is Rocker Joe's beard fake,

Unfortunately I find it to be horribly fake. I mean, really. & it's consistently the same level of like a drunken bender 3-day no-shave. Not feeling it. Then again I find the actor himself to be generally unattractive.  Sorry I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but I'm not into his looks nor do I believe all these ladies would be chasing after him.  In college, I wouldn't look 2x at that guy. Just saying. The timeline distinction looks come off totally costumey.

Just found this page...I haven't read all the comments here, however someone posted this on Ordinary Joes FB page...thought some here may find it helpful.

image.png.f0130b3d7113b1f22895dcf007324134.png

Unfortunately the show looks like it's headed for cancellation. Here's an excerpt from an article posted online 5 days ago:

Will Ordinary Joe be cancelled by NBC?

Though there is currently no news of the NBC series not returning for a season 2, as of right now, it seems that Ordinary Joe is, unfortunately, heading towards being cancelled in the near future for reasons that include but are not limited to poor ratings and poor viewership.

In regards to poor ratings, Ordinary Joe has received a fairly impressive audience score of 65% on Rotten Tomatoes but also received plenty of mixed reviews that believe the show is a bit “dull” or sometimes “too confusing”. One reviewer even stated that while the show has such an incredible plot, it was, all around, a “below-average drama”.

In addition to low ratings and reviews, the show is currently one of NBC’s lowest-performing titles of the season as viewership declined by tens of thousands every week since its third episode. The biggest decrease in views, however, can be found in the second episode of the series which had over 1 million fewer viewers than the pilot episode.

Compared to the success seen in episode 1, the recently released episodes simply cannot compete.

In spite of all the negative reviews, the show is still going on strong and, though viewership is declining, each week, the show still gathers a good amount of viewers each week.

It has been confirmed that filming and production for the pilot season conclude next month. By then, we will most likely know the future of the show, so stay tuned for cancellation or renewal updates concerning Ordinary Joe.

On another note can someone please refresh my memory as to what they were referring to in last nights episode regarding the speech Uncle Frank gave at Jenny and Joes wedding? It was mentioned a few times in last nights episode. I've scanned previous episodes and tried to find the scene via Google and haven't had any luck. TIA

2 hours ago, Miss Priss said:

can someone please refresh my memory as to what they were referring to in last nights episode regarding the speech Uncle Frank gave at Jenny and Joes wedding? It was mentioned a few times in last nights episode. I've scanned previous episodes and tried to find the scene via Google and haven't had any luck. TIA

It seems t refer to a drunken toast Frank made at the even, followed by taking a swing at the bartender.  Seems to be indicative he had a drinking problem in which he did not get help for in the Nurse timeline.

This episode had some moving moments, though it's hard not to feel sad when it's addressing such a tragic event as 9/11.

The soap opera-ish elements of this show are definitely not engaging enough for me to pay full attention, but you sort of have to, because keeping track of the 3 Joes, 3 Amys, 3 Jennys, 2 random Jenny husbands, 2 best friend love interests, etc. start giving you a headache after a while.

Sometimes, the colour over-saturation is really obvious (red for Rock Star, blue for Cop and green for Nurse, which is sorta clever), but I still got confused a few times.

Forever alone Cop Joe is surprisingly the most well-adjusted of the three.  The Rock Star Joe has too many lies and the Nurse Joe is too repressed.  Though I think I like Amy and Jenny even less.  

In the "Previously" segment, they call Jenny his "best friend", which makes no sense.  Best friends don't dump you and never contact you again because you have dinner with your parents instead of meeting you at the beach.  

I sort of feel obliged to watch more since there are only 13 episodes and I like completing things, but it's almost like work, LOL.

Edited by Camera One