Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Launch Party

• Start Topic

A surprising revelation leads to a fallout between Bette and Dani. Shane is forced to confront her true feelings for Tess, while Alice questions whether to reveal a secret to Tom during the launch party for her book. Sophie and Finley struggle to move forward in the wake of a shocking event, and Micah’s run-in with a coworker has a very unexpected outcome.

Original airdate: 9/27/21

I'm not understanding the whole Alice/Tom thing. They slept together one time. ONE TIME. That does not mean a relationship. That does not mean that she or he cannot sleep with other people.  I don't get the fact that they are having the conversation about her sleeping with Nat.

I wished that they mentioned that the chart was in Alice's book. It was super important in the original L word.

Bette loves her work more than she loves any person. 

Findley will have a drinking problem?

I find Gigi very needy.

Shane and Tess. Don't fuck this up for me show.

• Love 1

I wished that they mentioned that the chart was in Alice's book. It was super important in the original L word.

Chart?

Findley will have a drinking problem?

Looks that way. She drank a lot last season too though I don't think it was entirely clear whether she had a drinking problem or her drinking irresponsibly was just a part of her overall immaturity. Earlier this season, when she came back to LA from the midwest, one of the first things she said to Sophie was that she had stopped drinking. This seemed to me to be implying that her drinking was a problem and she was aware of it.

I don't love Finley but at least she confirmed that Shane still has the dog! I'm kind of obsessed with the dog.

• Love 2

Sophie was not great this week. She was drunk, she got in the car too and all of a sudden Finley drinking is a problem?

It was all they did last season and this is rushed and ridiculous.

Build up wouldn't have hurt but at this point, not on Sophie's side

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, SparedTurkey said:

Sophie was not great this week. She was drunk, she got in the car too and all of a sudden Finley drinking is a problem?

It was all they did last season and this is rushed and ridiculous.

Build up wouldn't have hurt but at this point, not on Sophie's side

Sophie said she wasn’t ok to drive and Finley said she was fine, so I can understand being mad. Plus, she didn’t seem to have any remorse or see a need to change her behaviour in any way whatsoever. I think Sophie is starting to realise that their earlier conversation about Finley being a big kid really wasn’t a joke. 

5 hours ago, SarahK said:

Sophie said she wasn’t ok to drive and Finley said she was fine, so I can understand being mad. Plus, she didn’t seem to have any remorse or see a need to change her behaviour in any way whatsoever. I think Sophie is starting to realise that their earlier conversation about Finley being a big kid really wasn’t a joke. 

Finley definitely thought her getting a DUI was just a bad thing that happens and you move on, no big deal.

I was on her side about the conversation outside the jail. Sophie's timing sucked. No one wants to have a deep conversation right as they have gotten out of jail. All I would want is a long, hot, soapy shower and an even halfway decent meal before I did anything semi-serious. I thought Sophie should have zipped it until Finley had eaten and showered - and then tried to talk to her.

It is interesting, how they responded differently to the situation. Finley gets a DUI. They go out. Sophie drinks ... water, presumably. Her response to the DUI is to not immediately drink the next night. Finley drinks... but takes a Lyft. Two very different responses to the same trigger. Neither one is right or wrong but was it meant to signal some sort of fundamental incompatibility?

9 hours ago, greekmom said:

Yeah Alice was working on a chart tracking how the women were all sleeping with eachother.

1000px-The_L_Word_-_The_Chart.svg.png

Oh - wow. That is something. Did she just do this for fun or was there some other reason? Also - no idea that Bette and Alice had slept together. 

18 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

It is interesting, how they responded differently to the situation. Finley gets a DUI. They go out. Sophie drinks ... water, presumably. Her response to the DUI is to not immediately drink the next night. Finley drinks... but takes a Lyft. Two very different responses to the same trigger. Neither one is right or wrong but was it meant to signal some sort of fundamental incompatibility?

Finley got them both drinks - it wasn't water. Mojitos I think.

I just think they rushed Sophie being concerned and there was no build up. They showed Finley having a morning beer - Sophie doesn't know that though. They both swigged from the flask in the last episode and no eyebatting from Sophie about it. If they had something like Finley having been the DD and then blowing positive - sure. But the show is just telling us that Sophie is worried about "lifeless eyes" when Finley drinks and there have been nothing but scenes with the both of them drinking and having fun. Sophie tried to shag her in the car the night before. They haven't laid the foundation or showed anything that would give anyone the idea this is actually a problem so Sophie comes off too melodramatic.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

They just looked like giant glasses of ice to me. I couldn't even see any liquid. 

My issue with the Sophie/Finley relationship is how they're retconning that they don't really know each other that well. Haven't they been friends and roommates for years? Also I distinctly remember Finley having a problem with alcohol last season but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. 

• Love 1

Also I distinctly remember Finley having a problem with alcohol last season but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. 

When she came back to LA, she told Sophie she had stopped drinking, which makes me think that Finley at least thought it was becoming a problem. 

I thought Sophie said she wasn't drinking. Finley may have gotten her a drink but I thought she specifically said she wasn't drinking that night.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, Elizzikra said:

Oh - wow. That is something. Did she just do this for fun or was there some other reason? Also - no idea that Bette and Alice had slept together. 

From my memory she did it as more of a 6 degrees of separation for lesbians to prove that everyone was sleeping with everyone else.

The chart was a big part of the original L world.  I think I read somewhere (again don't quote me because it's from memory) the producers thought that it would be a good idea to have Kit tattooed with the chart on her back but it would not have been doable.

Never mind I found it: "Pam Grier‘s scenes also required a reshoot: she’d originally played “The Captain,” a lesbian performance artist, videographer and documentarian of her local lesbian community who had The Chart tattooed on her back. Showtime didn’t like the character, but her sisterly vibe with Jennifer Beals sparked the idea to create the role of Kit, Bette’s straight half-sister."

• Love 1