Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E08: The Threat

• Start Topic

Clearly Big T didn’t do any strength training in the off season.  

And why the anger at Priscilla?   Didn’t Ashley suggest a smart rookie would bust up a vet-vet team?

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 6

Look at the rookies, reading my mind! I was literally thinking after watching last week’s episode that if the rookies really want to blow up the game, choose someone from a vet-vet team leaving no rookie-rookie teams.

I understand Ashley's not half bad at puzzles but people call her the puzzle Queen? Really?

Ed’s being all positive opposite Ashley’s grumpiness when they got paired up was hilarious!

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 11

The daily challenge was really elaborate.  But I thought the way TJ described it, they would have to dig for the puzzle pieces in the water, instead it was obvious where they were and it was mainly a race to retrieve the puzzle pieces and the key.

Puzzle-solving won it, though it did require some athletic ability, at least some swimming.

Guess some players don't realize causing waves or drama could make them a target.  First Berna with all the woe-is-me-she-took-my-partner drama, so exhausting.  Then Amber probably drinks too many and brags about going down to take Berna out.

All the speechifying in the deliberations room isn't going to help their case, because people are looking for a reason to vote you into elimination and just annoying enough people may get you voted in.

The elimination really advantaged the tall, long-limbed Jeremiah and Priscilla over Berna and Hughie -- "it's really his ass!"  Still someone more fit and flexible than Hughie would have done well.

As far as Priscilla blowing up the game, I think before they got down to these numbers, the possibility of making all rookie-vet teams wasn't there.  Rookies knew what was going on -- the vets always talking like they were pulling a fast one.  🙄

The problem wasn't that the rookies didn't see what was going on.  It was that they saw what was happening but didn't band together, especially when they had greater numbers.  But they came into the game cold, didn't know each other like the vets knew each other and really it was every man or woman for themselves.  So the rookies who won elimination just cared about being paired with a vet, didn't care about rookie-rookie teams who might be vulnerable the next day.

In any event, the real alliances will come out now that vets will be going into elimination.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, aghst said:

The problem wasn't that the rookies didn't see what was going on.  It was that they saw what was happening but didn't band together, especially when they had greater numbers.

Exactly. The rookies knew what was going on. The vets weren’t making it a secret. That’s why the rookies were teaming up with vet partners when they won an elimination. As long as a rookie had their vet partner and the target was on someone else, some other rookie-rookie pair, the rookies didn’t care enough to do anything.

5 hours ago, aghst said:

In any event, the real alliances will come out now that vets will be going into elimination.

Looks like Devin has plans to turn into into a champions vs non-champions.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, aghst said:

As far as Priscilla blowing up the game, I think before they got down to these numbers, the possibility of making all rookie-vet teams wasn't there.

The possibility of creating all rookie vet teams were there because they had to keep making rookie-rookie teams (I think) since Amber won her elimination. My thinking assumes Fessy and Aneesa still would have left the game but for each rookie that won after Amber winning, they would have had to pick someone from a vet-vet team. Devin and Amber, Kyle and Amanda, Josh and Ashley.

• Love 1

The daily challenge looked great. Equal parts strength and smarts. I'm a fan. The second week in a row I have been happy with the elimination result. So glad that Jeremiah and Priscilla won.

Ashley did shoot herself in the foot with saying that in elimination. Priscilla would have likely went back to Nelson, because it would have kept her safe on the rookie-vet team, but not safe as an individual, so regardless she was going to be on the chopping block. Nelson gets Big T, I can't decide if that was an upgrade, downgrade, or a lateral move. Yes, now the game has begun. No more rookie-rookie teams. I like Jeremiah so I'm interested to see how he does with Tori. Ashley and Ed is not a bad team, that will be interesting. 

6 hours ago, aghst said:

As far as Priscilla blowing up the game, I think before they got down to these numbers, the possibility of making all rookie-vet teams wasn't there.  Rookies knew what was going on -- the vets always talking like they were pulling a fast one.  🙄

The problem wasn't that the rookies didn't see what was going on.  It was that they saw what was happening but didn't band together, especially when they had greater numbers.  But they came into the game cold, didn't know each other like the vets knew each other and really it was every man or woman for themselves.  So the rookies who won elimination just cared about being paired with a vet, didn't care about rookie-rookie teams who might be vulnerable the next day.

Absolutely. They definitely had the numbers going in but didn't use them to their advantage in the beginning. Also, you had to make sure that a rookie-rookie team won a daily, and there was at least one vet on each team calling the shots and the rookies were just following them, so they couldn't make a play earlier. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AntFTW said:

Looks like Devin has plans to turn into into a champions vs non-champions.

Not a bad plan at all. I like it. A non champ wins and throws two teams in that are both champs, getting one out. I'm on board, but I still love you CT. 

• Love 7

Well thank you MTV for finally revealing who Priscilla and Jeremiah are!  I’m glad they won and I’m super glad Berna is gone.  I found it annoying when Nelson went into disappointed dad mode with Emy in regards to her choosing CT.  No she didn’t have to tell Berna.  It’s a freaking game with a million at stake.  For once, Emy didn’t bug me.   It should start to get interesting now!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I was trying to remember why Amanda didn't like Amber, but then I remembered Amanda is Fessy's woman. Blech, glad that Berna is gone. If the show was on the other foot, Nelson would have encouraged Berna to do to Emy what Emy did to her. Come off it Nelson. 

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, LBS said:

Well thank you MTV for finally revealing who Priscilla and Jeremiah are!

Lol! Priscilla has been creeping in the background.

Looking at Priscilla and Jeremiah in this episode and… they are two peas in a pod. I have no other words to describe those two together. Priscilla has shown some personality and sass in her interviews. I’ve always liked Priscilla but they don’t show much of her at all. Priscilla brought out some personality in Jeremiah during that elimination… and now he’s gonna go back to being wall paper and Amber’s cuddle buddy.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

I was trying to remember why Amanda didn't like Amber, but then I remembered Amanda is Fessy's woman. Blech, glad that Berna is gone. If the show was on the other foot, Nelson would have encouraged Berna to do to Emy what Emy did to her. Come off it Nelson. 

On the aftermath, Berna was commenting on her first season experience dealing with people and Amanda made a face.

Devyn called Amanda out on it and Amanda said she was thinking about her first season and how everyone hated her… and I couldn’t help myself and said “Duh Amanda, have you met you?”

1 hour ago, LBS said:

For once, Emy didn’t bug me.

PREACH!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AncientNewbie said:

I picked this over Survivor for real time viewing last night and I wasn't disappointed. Both the daily and the Lair were good unique challenges. 

Younger me that couldn't take CT on Real World Paris would be so confused by my reactions now. 

I’ve only seen CT on this and last season’s Challenge, but it sounds like he did what so many can’t seem to manage:  he grew up.  Good for him.  Personal growth is very appealing.  

• Love 12

I'm glad one of the rookies was finally wise to what the vets were trying to pull. Go Priscilla! I can't stand Ashley so if Priscilla wants to go for her, yes. 

Ed's contributions to this episode were pointing out that Priscilla has the floor during deliberations and awkwardly trying to hug Ashley. Oh and dancing with a can on his hat when they were at the bar lol

• Love 7

I am sure Amber can be somewhat overdramatic and annoying, especially on the subject of her last Challenge.  And Fessy.

But Berna, it is definitely not a wise move to go into a deliberation and start spouting that it wasn't just you, everyone was saying "it" about Amber.  You don't rile up someone who has definitely been the target of betrayal and meanness and all that, even if they inflate it and go on and on about it!  You're just adding fuel to the fire!  Not to mention it's just rude.  Sure, tell her you just don't like her.  Let others tell her how they feel or don't feel.  Don' be all "everybody hates you."  I don't want to hear any more from Amber about her butt and fires within it and what caused them to be there.

On the other hand, can't get enough of everyone's awe and amusement at Hughie's butt being in the way (especially since he voiced it himself, and nobody was fat shaming him, he's just rather round there).  

Glad to see her go.

Poor Big T.  I've never in my life been able to climb a rope.

"My yacht."  Good one, Teeje.

Impressed by Priscilla.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Amusingly enough when they were standing in the water in the beginning of the challenge I was like “daaaaaaaamn Hughie has a lot of junk in that trunk”.  And lo and behold, his giant ass was a liability climbing a pole backwards.

God damn Berna was whiny.  Yeah Amber is annoying but Berna crying about having her partner stolen in her interviews, which are done after the fact, yeah?, like get a grip girlie.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Unclejosh said:

Hughie's butt is big not because of being out of shape or anything, he has had 2 Brazilian butt lifts to make it that big.

That's believable. His butt does not look natural.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

God damn Berna was whiny.  Yeah Amber is annoying but Berna crying about having her partner stolen in her interviews, which are done after the fact, yeah?, like get a grip girlie.

The ironic part about this is that Berna seems to dislike Amber for doing the same thing that Berna was doing during the deliberation. Berna dislikes Amber for nagging and then Berna nags about Amber. That makes sense. 😁

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 4
On 9/29/2021 at 9:32 PM, DEL901 said:

And why the anger at Priscilla?   Didn’t Ashley suggest a smart rookie would bust up a vet-vet team?

If Ashley was as smart as she thought she was, she wouldn't have parted her lips to say anything. Maybe they didn't even have that idea... until she threw it out there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Amber was a little dramatic in deliberations, but man, I am glad Berna is gone. She could be a comp beast, but her weird mean girl thing just made her unlikable. Bye.

I continue to hate that Devin and Kyle are entertaining me this season.

Priscilla could be a force on this show. I hope she can stick around.

I loved Ed trying to hug Ashley. I've never seen the Circle, but if Ed is always like this, I adore him, lol. Ashley could do a lot worse with him as a partner.

CT as the math-solving puzzle king is something I've always appreciated. It would be easy to assume he's just another jock bro type, but he does have brains and some depth.

Both challenges were pretty decent this episode. I love the water challenges.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

CT as the math-solving puzzle king is something I've always appreciated. It would be easy to assume he's just another jock bro type, but he does have brains and some depth.

This is what entertains me so much on recent seasons...here's this physical specimen known to be among the best at puzzles and most of the time we see him is sipping coffee, looking over this glasses like grandpa, draped in a blanket in the background of all the drama. He's nearly mastered the art of staying out of the way until he needs to play the game, although next week's previews make it look like that may be coming sooner this year. 

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, AncientNewbie said:

This is what entertains me so much on recent seasons...here's this physical specimen known to be among the best at puzzles and most of the time we see him is sipping coffee, looking over this glasses like grandpa, draped in a blanket in the background of all the drama. He's nearly mastered the art of staying out of the way until he needs to play the game, although next week's previews make it look like that may be coming sooner this year. 

Or coaching his partners or others in how to be better physically (eg Big T last year)in the game while staying out of drama…. Although I think it was Devin who said the vets alliance was CT’s idea…but that was just good strategy and he has stayed out of everything including the Fessy/Josh drama. 

• Love 4

9 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Amber was a little dramatic in deliberations, but man, I am glad Berna is gone. She could be a comp beast, but her weird mean girl thing just made her unlikable.

The interesting thing about the Berna/Amber dispute is that Pizzagate was caused by Berna and Esther. They ate Amber's pizza knowing it was hers. So the mean girl description is apt and why I don't really like her. 

Y'alls view on Priscilla is mine on Bettina. As she was talking in the episode I was confused about who she was. I knew she wasn't Berna but couldn't figure out who she is. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, AncientNewbie said:

I really had to think back when did he become the puzzle master.

I’m thinking about the older seasons. I don’t recall CT ever being referred to as a puzzle master. CT was known as the guy you didn’t want to do a hall brawl or a pole wrestle with, and now he’s the genius puzzle master. I recall him saying a few seasons back that he been practicing the puzzles in the off-season (not sure if I’m misremembering, I wanna say it was season 29).

CT used to be the one that gets kicked off for fighting. Forever etched in my mind is CT going crazy and punching Adam in the face.

• Love 6

The spoiler sites reported before the show aired that CT was proactive in contacting the vets before they left to team up against any rookies.  So he basically pulled a Wes.  Very good move.

CT was always smarter than he let on but also his use of substances legal and illegal impaired him using said smarts, plus I think being smart was looked down upon based on his upbringing so he learned to suppress it until he matured and it wasn't seen as a weakness (not that he is anywhere as smart as Will Hunting but some of the same dynamics were in play, that was pretty realistic in my experience as a Mass resident).  He started taking the mental and puzzle stuff way more seriously in recent years though because he recognized that can be the difference maker in winning.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, Unclejosh said:

The spoiler sites reported before the show aired that CT was proactive in contacting the vets before they left to team up against any rookies.  So he basically pulled a Wes.  Very good move.

CT was always smarter than he let on but also his use of substances legal and illegal impaired him using said smarts, plus I think being smart was looked down upon based on his upbringing so he learned to suppress it until he matured and it wasn't seen as a weakness (not that he is anywhere as smart as Will Hunting but some of the same dynamics were in play, that was pretty realistic in my experience as a Mass resident).  He started taking the mental and puzzle stuff way more seriously in recent years though because he recognized that can be the difference maker in winning.

I looked CT up and apparently he has a business degree.  And I remember him mentioning his dad’s business in a previous season.  The old CT may have been, in part, rebellion against his upbringing, but he moved past that stage of life. 

• Love 5

I don't know if it's just me but I find it grating when Emy and Berna refer to CT as "Uncle CT."   It makes him sound old and washed up when in fact he won The Challenge last season.   They talk about him like he's a possession or commodity, something they're entitled to, something to squabble over.   This is a guy who's lasted through something like 20 seasons and is still going strong despite having had to overcome serious personal tragedies along the way.   He hasn't always been nice but I think over time his better nature has eclipsed the memories of his earlier days as a hellion.  In light of his history, "Uncle CT" seems ageist and reductive.   I hope it doesn't stick.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

I am thrilled Hughie is gone.   One of the worst casting choices ever, IMO.   Now if they can just manage to send Emy "This ... is ... for ...ROMANIA!" back to Romania, I might be able to enjoy the rest of this season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I don't know if it's just me but I find it grating when Emy and Berna refer to CT as "Uncle CT."   It makes him sound old and washed up when in fact he won The Challenge last season.

For me it's "Uncle CT" is about respect. I don't think it has anything to do with being washed up but he is alot (10 or more years) older than most of them. 

Something to think about. If CT had a kid when he was twenty years old, that kid would be old enough to be on the challenge with him.

I like Hughie. He owns his issues. He wasn't putting anything on anyone else. 

Edited by xfuse
more thoughts
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, xfuse said:

Something to think about. If CT had a kid when he was twenty years old, that kid would be old enough to be on the challenge with him.

Not cool, Xfuse.  Not cool at all.  😂😂😂👵👵👵

• LOL 8
5 hours ago, xfuse said:

For me it's "Uncle CT" is about respect. I don't think it has anything to do with being washed up but he is alot (10 or more years) older than most of them. 

Rogan calls CT “pops.”

• Love 1

Now I can't wait till Tony's or Cory's kids are on the Challenge and saying "this is to pay for the nursing home for my father!"

I forgot to look when Cory retrieved his bag (or maybe they didn't show it) but I did think of him because of his fear of going down deep based on his childhood traumatic experience.  I do feel for him on that one!   Having the heats in 4s made it rather difficult to get coverage of everyone, so each round I'd be "wait, they were in this one too?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LBS said:

Not cool, Xfuse.  Not cool at all.  😂😂😂👵👵👵

Sorry. 😁

It got me thinking so I went and looked at all their ages since most of them act like they are in their early twenties (most are not). Besides Amber being 33 which was mentioned before the biggest surprise was that Berna is 31 and Emy is 22. Along with Renan, the youngest.

CT being 41, the oldest. 

Edited by xfuse
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2021 at 9:32 PM, DEL901 said:

That was the dumbest thing to say in the deliberation room, pretty much spelling out how to do better in the game to the rookies. Not a fan of Ashley, hoping she gets taken out soon!

On 9/29/2021 at 9:47 PM, AntFTW said:

Ed’s being all positive opposite Ashley’s grumpiness when they got paired up was hilarious!

Ed has been pretty endearing so far. He seems to be adept at the physical and mental parts of challenges and seems to be a pretty easygoing, straightforward guy which could help in the social game. He hasn't seemed to have a personality that immediately makes anyone want to put him into an elimination on annoyingness alone, so that's good. I'm hoping he gets a callback for future seasons. 

12 hours ago, millennium said:

I am thrilled Hughie is gone.   One of the worst casting choices ever, IMO.   Now if they can just manage to send Emy "This ... is ... for ...ROMANIA!" back to Romania, I might be able to enjoy the rest of this season.

I agree - Hughie and Emy are two rookies I wouldn't mind be "one and done." While there have been a lot of rookies have been wallpaper or eliminated so early you didn't even have a chance to learn their names, there have also been a bunch that have stood out. I don't know what previous rookie-heavy seasons have been like, but this hasn't been as bad as I expected.

And this is maybe showing my age, but I don't remember ever knowing a cast member's last name before. Like on old RW seasons it was always just first names, and that carried over to the Challenge. I just went on MTV's site to try to count how many rookie names I knew and was surprised that everyone had their full name listed. I wonder if that was a change when being a reality star became more of a job, or when social media got big and everyone was on it. Just was surprising to know I could learn everybody's full name!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, millennium said:

I don't know if it's just me but I find it grating when Emy and Berna refer to CT as "Uncle CT."   It makes him sound old and washed up when in fact he won The Challenge last season.   They talk about him like he's a possession or commodity, something they're entitled to, something to squabble over.   This is a guy who's lasted through something like 20 seasons and is still going strong despite having had to overcome serious personal tragedies along the way.   He hasn't always been nice but I think over time his better nature has eclipsed the memories of his earlier days as a hellion.  In light of his history, "Uncle CT" seems ageist and reductive.   I hope it doesn't stick.

It's better than being "Creepy Uncle Vinnie", which is what they called Johnny's cousin.

Also, Ashley: You did not give Berna that advice at deliberations because you were "trying to help her.' You have never tried to help anyone in your life.  You were trying to threaten her, and she called you on it.          However, I did think that fake hug with Ed was kinda ok/- You were letting him know that you weren't mad at him, while still having your little fit.

Edited by Fretful
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Well, looks like we're out of all-rookie teams. Had to happen eventually. On the bright side, I feel good with my decision to watch "live" and record Survivor . . . especially since the new season is stumbling off the blocks. I'm used to thinking of it no longer being "water cooler TV," but "feeder show for The Challenge"? I would never have predicted that.

Plus side: Jeremiah and Priscilla come out of the cornfield. Bad news: Berna and Hughie are gone. I honestly think they could wind up regulars for years to come. Berna crying did turn me off, in the sense that I'd hope she'd watch the show beforehand. Hughie is annoying, but he was capable of hanging. Not literally, as Berna can tell you. I was commenting "live" on a Facebook group, and someone said Hughie sounds like Mrs. Doubtfire. Better than me typing variations of "Chief O'Hara noises."

I'm liking Emy. Once again, I get how she bugs, and I kindasorta consider her a knockoff of Cara Maria, but she's entertaining. So was Berna in a few ways, but her gone means less of Nelson being a creep in interviews.

10 hours ago, Fretful said:

It's better than being "Creepy Uncle Vinnie", which is what they called Johnny's cousin.

"Creepy Uncle Vince" . . . and hell yes, CT is way better than him.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:37 PM, Unclejosh said:

I don't think "pulled a Wes" is a great label, because when Wes makes plans like that, they usually crumble into dust . . . just like Paulie near the end of a season.

I'm still not getting the overall mad-on players have for Amber.

Devin is still thirsty for Johnny's clout. It's really sad if you think about it.

Edited by Lantern7

I finally finished the episode. I started watching on Wednesday, got distracted by something and then dropped it for a few days. Oops.

Sorry to see Hughie go home because I liked him but I was really happy to not see two more black players go home and especially not two black women in a row. Still it sucks that Hughie's big ass might have lost him a lot of time, lol.

I don't get why Berna was so absolutely betrayed by Emy looking out for herself to get a good partner when that is the name of the game. Also Emy has been trying to get into good with the vets since day one when she outed that spy list that was made. She's always been about herself.

So the reason why people don't like Amber is because she talks too much about the last season and the reason why people didn't like Berna is because was rude and thought her relationship with Nelson was the shit or protection or something? Also whatever happened to that fake Berna/Nelson/Ashley triangle? They dropped that real quick.

Finally the Vet alliance truce is done! Thank you Priscilla.

• Love 3
On 10/2/2021 at 3:46 AM, xfuse said:

I figured that too. My sister was 10 years older than me and I'm only 12 years older than my nephew and have been called aunt since he could talk so about 14. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, xfuse said:

CT being 41, the oldest. 

This surprised me! I had no idea we were close(ish) in age! I thought he was in his 30s. 

34 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

This surprised me! I had no idea we were close(ish) in age! I thought he was in his 30s. 

I thought he was in his late 30s, maybe 39. I always thought Aneesa was older by about a year.

• Love 1

I really wondered if Hughie had a butt job!

I like Amber.   She's a nice enough gal.  No one ever truly takes her into their alliance but then get annoyed that she doesn't seem trust worthy enough.  Well why would she when you kind of put her at the bottom?

Priscill and Jeremiah were so funny and smart.  YAY!  I'll root for them now.  I wonder if the producers deicded to just give up on having to earn a skull to have this rookie/vet rivalry again. 

• Love 4
On 10/3/2021 at 2:39 AM, Lantern7 said:

Devin is still thirsty for Johnny's clout. It's really sad if you think about it.

Devin will die of advanced dehydration before he gets anywhere near the reputation Bananas has built.  

7 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I like Amber.   She's a nice enough gal.  No one ever truly takes her into their alliance but then get annoyed that she doesn't seem trust worthy enough.  Well why would she when you kind of put her at the bottom?

I'd say the same also applies to Big T.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, millennium said:

Devin will die of advanced dehydration before he gets anywhere near the reputation Bananas has built.  

I’m still mystified as to how Bananas built that reputation in the first place, as I found him more attention-seeking than I did entertaining.

• Love 5