Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E02: First Elimination

• Start Topic

Not upset to see Martin Kove go. He didnt want to be there,and it showed.

I agreed with Dereks comments about JoJo being too wild at times, theres no doubt shes an amazing performer,however, sometimes she gets too into it and loses the technique.

For the love of God,week 2, and im tired of Sharna and Brian saying how theyre together.The man stood there while Sharna danced around him. I WANT TO SEE HIM DANCE!.

What the Hell was Tyra Wearing the second half? looked like a red peacock.

As much as it pains me to say this since i feel she doesnt belong on this show, Olivia Jade had a beautiful dance tonight, props to Val.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I’m assuming that after he clears a few negative tests, he’ll be assigned a temporary partner to practice with. 

If it goes like it always did before, he will dance with Britt until Cheryl can come back. It has always been, an eliminated pro or a member of the troupe.

Jojo dancing with Jenna caused a little kerfluffle, but it has been nothing to get upset over! I suppose if they do a dance where they make goo-goo eyes at each other, the "controversy" they were expecting might squeak a little.

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

How tall is Amanda? When she did the twirl at the end, her legs were like a mile each.

Don't know if it's accurate but my googling came up with 5'8".

8 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:
10 hours ago, Iguana said:

eta:  Holy crap. The second dress was even worse.  It was the NBC Peacock bathed in the blood of it’s enemies. 

Thanks for making me laugh until I almost choked!

Ditto. Nearly had hot chocolate all over my laptop.

I was texting with my friend during the show (as we do - we talk mostly during DWTS season; we used to be roommates and would watch together), and she fell asleep before Tyra's second wardrobe horror. I had to send her a pic this morning. Her response:

"Oh, good Lord!!!"
"That's just...I don't know if there are words."
"I will never make fun of the fringe pants again, though."

Edited by ams1001
fix quote box
  • LOL 5
35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

9 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

How tall is Amanda? When she did the twirl at the end, her legs were like a mile each.

Don't know if it's accurate but my googling came up with 5'8"

She said in an Instagram live, 5’10 and 1/2. (I remember because then Alan argued with her and said she had to be 6’ because he believes himself to be 6’ and she seems as tall as him, and it made me laugh because as a fellow 5’10 person I’ve had this argument with men before, who get offended you can prove they’re not quite 6’)

ETA: It’s at about the 10:50 min mark in this video https://www.instagram.com/tv/CUTeepXJkCt/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Ugh, BAG really needs to go. Their "supercouple" angle with Brian and Sharna is even more annoying than Olivia Jade. No one cares! At least Olivia looks like she tries, and she had a pretty dance. BAG looks like he knows he's going to stick around no matter how much he sucks, and it shows.

• Love 5

I knew this forum would be filled with comments on Tyra's second outfit. She looked like she was playing the tomato in a kindergarten's school play, with her arms sticking out of the front of her dress. My God, she looked absolutely absurd. You can't tell me nobody in the audience laughed when she came out in that thing. Sometimes I actually think she's punking us. She reads these comments and just comes up with more and more ridiculous outfits.

Anyway, maybe I just don't understand the Rumba but it seems like hardly anybody actually does one. From what I understand there is a constant side to side swaying motion from start to finish that defines the rumba, and if you get that at all on this show, it's only for a brief moment or two. 

I thought some of these contestants already looked like pros and the judges are just struggling to nitpick on things so they aren't handing out 10s already. 

Melora Hardin's daughter looks exactly like her.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Didn’t the rule used to be you had to have done it in the ballroom though? I feel like I remember drama about that with that one housewife who had a stroke, she wanted to be judged on rehearsal footage and they wouldn’t let her because it was from Atlanta, and not on the stage.

Though that’s something I could see them changing because of Covid.

There were a few more mitigating factors in Kim's issue. First, she had a stroke and was hospitalized for 3 days. So that would have put her release at Thursday. She had not, according to her partner, learned the entire dance even after a marathon rehearsal in Atlanta that Saturday. If I remember correctly, crews didn't film her rehearsal in Atlanta and the only footage was of parts of the dance recorded on a phone. Doctors had not cleared her to fly and she was not scheduled to receive that clearance for a few days more. So it really left the show with not much of a choice since it was not known if or when she could return California and the extra expense of hiring a new crew or sending a crew to Atlanta. It was considered by the producers to allow her to dance in Atlanta and stream it to show the judges. However, that raised more issues because you have others on the show who have to travel extensively for their day jobs and probably would have done better if the same accommodation was afforded to them. 

With COVID protocols, the rehearsal space is recorded without camera crews being in there. That's why there is more voice over and not "raw footage" with audio. Sundays used to be dress rehearsal day. Each couple had the opportunity to have their full dance taped (with or without costumes). I think they still do some of this but the couples are scheduled to come in at certain times versus everyone show up to test and rehearse every part of the show. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

A few general thoughts:

Jojo:  I felt she was bit too much on night 1 and 2, so I found it interesting the judges are finally speaking up a bit on that.  We want dancing, not just partying through some music...

Sharna and Brian:  I really wish they would have had other partners.  I would like them more that way, with a sense of competition.  I guess it just seems weird to have an already partnered pair dance together on this show (for me), and I don't really like it.

Amanda:  All of your positive thoughts about her are making me try to like her more.  I have a hard time warming up to her, and I am not sure why.  I want to blame media coverage but that isn't fair to her.  Or maybe it is becoming a talk show host, lol.  I will try my best to look at her as someone I know little about and enjoy her more.

Tyra--I really wish she would learn the show isn't about her, and that she would grow up, simply dress elegant and quit acting like a moron.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, edie3 said:

Is there anyone who likes Tyra? I have heard or read nothing good about her on the show. But she's a producer on the show, so...

The sad thing is that she's still a good looking woman. She could easily look elegant in an evening gown. If she were actually punking us in those outfits, she would be hilarious and people would probably like her. Sadly, though, she actually takes herself seriously. She really needs to go.

• Love 10

I actually enjoy Tyra's antics and over-the-top fashion.  I find it entertaining, and some comic relief for the show.  When she appeared in that second monstrosity, I gave a shriek of laughter that sent my cat fleeing.

She no doubt chooses those strange outfits just for the attention she gets.  Look how much we are talking about her here.  Without them, we could just briefly mention how much we miss Tom and move on, but this way so much of the discussion is about her.  She wins!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I actually enjoy Tyra's antics and over-the-top fashion.  I find it entertaining, and some comic relief for the show.  When she appeared in that second monstrosity, I gave a shriek of laughter that sent my cat fleeing.

I find her over-dramatic manner of speaking annoying but I get a good laugh out of her outfits, in a horrified, "WTF is that?!" kind of way.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, edie3 said:

Is there anyone who likes Tyra? I have heard or read nothing good about her on the show. But she's a producer on the show, so...

I am fine with her. I hated that they dumped Tom, but Tyra does a satisfactory job of hosting and moving the show along. For me, she doesn't draw attention away because I am not that focused on her.

As far as the wardrobe changes, I see it the same as when female hosts change dresses at the big award shows. DWTS is not on that scale obviously, but I understand Tyra wanting to have fun with it.

• Love 3

Call me crazy, but I miss dignity. Once upon a time DWTS was a classy show. Dancers were dignified and Tom was charming. It was a shining star among heavy dramas and silly game shows. 
Now it’s just loud, flashy and and edged with shock factor. Cheap and tacky describe it best. 
Class. I miss it. 

• Love 20
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Ugh, BAG really needs to go. Their "supercouple" angle with Brian and Sharna is even more annoying than Olivia Jade. No one cares! At least Olivia looks like she tries, and she had a pretty dance. BAG looks like he knows he's going to stick around no matter how much he sucks, and it shows.

Last week, I said that Olivia could go after Martin.  I changed my mind to BAG.  He and Sharna are just annoying together.  He didn't dance.  Plus Olivia did improve.  She had Bambi legs last week.  Maybe, it's because she had a slower dance this week but her legs looked a lot better.

Melora still has balance issues even though she didn't stumble like she did last week.

I also thought Jojo needs to have more control so I'm glad Derek said something.  She makes Jenna look tame. 

Amanda is elegant.  I still like Suni so I hope she starts performing.  Kenya is just gorgeous and I like her partnership with Brandon.

I like Gleb when he has a partner like Mel C. or the country girl from a few seasons back.  That's when he doesn't create sleazy choreography.

• Love 4

I have only one thing to say about last night's show.  What in God's name was Tyra wearing?  This show is not about her and the need to wear the most absurd outfits week after week.  It's about the dancers.  Whatever possessed these nitwits to bring her on this show and get rid of Tom Bergeron?

• Love 7

I always appreciated Tyra as a model because she had a woman's body. She had boobs and a butt. She wasn't overly conceited as a model and actually had some skill and talent as an actress. With more training she could have been a really good actress and maybe even better than good. 

As a host on ANTM she went from mentor and good foil to Janice Dickenson's antics. Then it went downhill. She became gimmick after gimmick. Instead of mentor and teacher she was belittling others and painting herself as this queen and expert. I believe it was the "all star" season where she started promoting her book and before that her talk show. She reminds of the girls who were popular in high school and are now mixed up in MLM schemes. She'd friend you on Facebook just to try to get you involved and sell you some stuff.  

Her comments prior to this season about Olivia missed the point completely. From my interpretation of events, Olivia was complicit in her parents' deceptions. She posed for the dang pictures. Tyra said there is more to the story. Fine...then tell the story. Because right now I'm seeing dancing around the story. I'm seeing a spoiled little rich girl who didn't even appreciate what she had. I think that DWTS isn't exactly a great way to go for redemption. Maybe try and provide a scholarship or study for a chance to really go and make something of yourself in college. Most of all I am agitated that Tyra of all people is telling me I'm wrong for my opinion. 

I am rooting for Suni but gotta get past that emotion barrier. Granted so far we have seen her dance a jive and a cha cha. Those are not the most emotional dances ever. 

I'm not a fan of Jo Jo or Jenna so together it is like the pairing from you know where for me. I'm praying for no rhumba from them. Not because of the girl girl pairing but because Jo Jo still looks like a kid and that would be squicky with anyone. 

Loving Mel C. She wasn't a favorite of mine going in, but she is a beautiful dancer. 

Also I am enjoying the Miz. I keep flashing back on his Challenge days on MTV and thinking about how he would throw a tantrum each time he failed a mission - throwing furniture, etc. I hope that doesn't happen on DWTS. 

The right person went this week. And other hosts have done it in the past but I hate when Tyra asked him how he was feeling. Why not ask if you're going to want to learn more or if you're eager to show your new skills to your friends, etc. Like being a lawyer or a reporter, you don't want to leave that big of an opening for someone to talk trash. 

• Love 3

JoJo obviously has great skill and performance ability, but I am glad Derek commented on her need to control her energy. I've actually found her a little wild and s******, and it's made even more obvious by Jenna dancing the same choreo right next to her.

Bless her heart, JoJo reminds me of a pageant kid that just hasn't emotionally matured. Her skills are fine, but that constant ON personality is exhausting (and I'm an optimistic positive person myself). Plus she's way bigger than Jenna, so she just comes off looking odd to me. 

Not feeling BAG and Sharna - I love then both individually but not their pairing. 

Suni's shell is cracking a little bit. She looked like she wasn't about to throw up last night, which was a big improvement.  Hopefully she will loosen up personality-wise a little bit more. 

• Love 6

Bless her heart, JoJo reminds me of a pageant kid that just hasn't emotionally matured. 

Bless her heart, her house looks like it was decorated by a five year old. This is what happens when you have too much money at such a young age. It was like a Barbie's Dream House come to life. Strike that - Barbie's Dream House is classier than that place was.

From my interpretation of events, Olivia was complicit in her parents' deceptions. She posed for the dang pictures. 

Which one is she? Is the the one paired with Val? I have a hard time keeping track of these nobodies because I'd never heard of 12 of them prior to this season. If my assumption is correct they're selling her as some sort of social media makeup expert, no?

I am rooting for Suni but gotta get past that emotion barrier. 

I thought she did just fine last night and saw no problems with her performance. I think this is just something the judges are making her story about. Really, about four or five of the women already look like pros to me.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Which one is she? Is the the one paired with Val? I have a hard time keeping track of these nobodies because I'd never heard of 12 of them prior to this season. If my assumption is correct they're selling her as some sort of social media makeup expert, no?

Yes, she's with Val. She's easy for me because she looks just like her mom. I need reminders for some of the others, though.

She has a youtube channel that I've never watched, but I gather it's about makeup/beauty products and stuff like that. I had never heard of her until the college admissions bribery thing came out.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

My understanding of Olivia Jade's role is that she had next to no interest in college. She was complicit, but I have a hard time finding a lot of outrage in a teen girl doing what her parents told her to do. 

She's also an influencer, which is one of those things that makes me feel very old. I don't get it, especially with someone like her who has so much wealth to draw on. But I am an old relative to the existence of influencers. 

Still, I expected her to be lazy and obnoxious and instead she must be working very hard to be dancing so well. 

Alan argued with her and said she had to be 6’ because he believes himself to be 6’ and she seems as tall as him

Isn't Amanda generally wearing heels when she's with him?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Bless her heart, her house looks like it was decorated by a five year old. This is what happens when you have too much money at such a young age. It was like a Barbie's Dream House come to life. Strike that - Barbie's Dream House is classier than that place was.

It looked like a bejewller threw up. That was just horrific. It made me think of Michael Jackson’s house except that she is just old enough that it is a crappy look but kind of makes sense instead of a creepy.

• Love 2

Tyra's explanation for that thing called a dress:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tyra-banks-reveals-story-behind-183036970.html

"There's a base of that dress. It looks like a normal, beautiful dress from the '90s," Banks revealed today of her look that's gone viral since last night's episode. "Then I go on the stage in front of the audience and everybody, and I put on the wing thing. And everybody was like, 'Oh!' because they thought the first thing was the normal dress."

Banks' surprise gown was complete with a nod to her supermodel roots. "I call it Victoria's Secret wangs. It's not wings. It's got an 'A,'" Banks joked. "That's how we did it."

I think the audience said, Ha, Ha. She sounds demented with the wang thang. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
23 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Jojo's got a good partner in Jenna, they're clearly having a lot of fun working together and it definitely shows. 

I don't know, I think Jenna's giving off the vibe of a patient, but mentally exhausted, older sister or teacher. Like, she knows how to play the game so she paints on a big smile, but her eyes have that "OMG, too much..." Jenna herself is often "too much" but this girl's energy is off the charts. 

Derek is right, she gets overexcited and at times, seems like she's yanking Jenna around in her over enthusiasm. 

I'm very relieved Martin went home, there was no potential there. Didn't think it was necessary to twist the knife by asking the 4th judge who they'd save when it was beyond clear that it was unanimous. It was just awkward all around.

Disappointed that we won't get to see Cheryl and Cody's dance, it looked like it was going to be pretty good even in the rough stage of rehearsal. 

I'm fascinated by Daniela's choreography for Iman, I think she's doing a really nice job working around the huge height differential. Also, I love her hair. I'm sure it's full of as many extensions as everyone else's, but she works it much better.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

I always appreciated Tyra as a model because she had a woman's body. She had boobs and a butt. She wasn't overly conceited as a model and actually had some skill and talent as an actress. With more training she could have been a really good actress and maybe even better than good. 

As a host on ANTM she went from mentor and good foil to Janice Dickenson's antics. Then it went downhill. She became gimmick after gimmick. Instead of mentor and teacher she was belittling others and painting herself as this queen and expert. I believe it was the "all star" season where she started promoting her book and before that her talk show. She reminds of the girls who were popular in high school and are now mixed up in MLM schemes. She'd friend you on Facebook just to try to get you involved and sell you some stuff.  

Her comments prior to this season about Olivia missed the point completely. From my interpretation of events, Olivia was complicit in her parents' deceptions. She posed for the dang pictures. Tyra said there is more to the story. Fine...then tell the story. Because right now I'm seeing dancing around the story. I'm seeing a spoiled little rich girl who didn't even appreciate what she had. I think that DWTS isn't exactly a great way to go for redemption. Maybe try and provide a scholarship or study for a chance to really go and make something of yourself in college. Most of all I am agitated that Tyra of all people is telling me I'm wrong for my opinion. 

I am rooting for Suni but gotta get past that emotion barrier. Granted so far we have seen her dance a jive and a cha cha. Those are not the most emotional dances ever. 

I'm not a fan of Jo Jo or Jenna so together it is like the pairing from you know where for me. I'm praying for no rhumba from them. Not because of the girl girl pairing but because Jo Jo still looks like a kid and that would be squicky with anyone. 

Loving Mel C. She wasn't a favorite of mine going in, but she is a beautiful dancer. 

Also I am enjoying the Miz. I keep flashing back on his Challenge days on MTV and thinking about how he would throw a tantrum each time he failed a mission - throwing furniture, etc. I hope that doesn't happen on DWTS. 

The right person went this week. And other hosts have done it in the past but I hate when Tyra asked him how he was feeling. Why not ask if you're going to want to learn more or if you're eager to show your new skills to your friends, etc. Like being a lawyer or a reporter, you don't want to leave that big of an opening for someone to talk trash. 

Totally agree about the change in Tyra / ANTM.  I loved the early seasons and then had to quit watching because she became too full of herself.

7 hours ago, alexa said:

Totally agree about the change in Tyra / ANTM.  I loved the early seasons and then had to quit watching because she became too full of herself.

I only saw the early seasons of ANTM since my daughters watched it.  I thought she gave good advice and seemed like a good host/mentor.  I thought DWTS was just not a good fit but it sounds like she changed in the later seasons of ANTM.

• Love 1

Anyone else bothered by "Britney Night?" It seems to me that TPTB are jumping on the bandwagon of her sad story just to get attention. Oh, and giving "Slave 4 U" to a young girl (Suni) is just inappropriate and gross. Just when you think they can't go any lower, they manage to deliver.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Anyone else bothered by "Britney Night?" It seems to me that TPTB are jumping on the bandwagon of her sad story just to get attention. Oh, and giving "Slave 4 U" to a young girl (Suni) is just inappropriate and gross. Just when you think they can't go any lower, they manage to deliver.

Is Suni and Sasha getting "Slave 4 U"?  I agree that it's inappropriate and gross.  Plus Suni already is struggling with performance.  That song would probably embarrass her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Yes, and really? Ew. I hope they're not planning some sort of recreation of the video (which apparently Britney was only 19 herself when that song came out). I just watched a little of it and ugh. Poor Suni. Hopefully Sasha will keep it tame. (I can only imagine what Gleb would do with that song...)

• Love 5

Britney has been popular since she first came out, I don’t think that this mess around her has really changed that. Heck, her show in Vegas is based on that popularity. OK, so the show in Vegas was screwed up because she was forced to do it and didn’t really want to. But we didn’t know that until now. 

Her music continues to be played and her value as an artist has not changed even with the battles she has had. I don’t have a problem with celebrating her music although I understand what you are saying.

I know Cody is a super fan, he plays her music a ton in his classes. I would guess that other Celebs on the show like her music. 

I would not pick Slave 4 U for any of the dancers because it is just an iffy message thought. I get that the song is meant differently but R Kelly’s conviction, sex trafficking, and other things come to mind so it is not a good choice. It is really awful for Suni given that she is a member of the US Gymnastic Team that is still roiling from the sex scandal and its craptastic response. I don’t believe that Suni was abused but the optics are horrific. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Anyone else bothered by "Britney Night?" It seems to me that TPTB are jumping on the bandwagon of her sad story just to get attention. 

Yes, completely.  Has everyone forgotten that Britney has had a conservator because she had some very public breakdowns?  She's also not had custody of her kids, which is not the norm.  I think it's fine to celebrate her music, but Britney has had some major (struggles? mental illness?) and I think the show is trying to ride the current event that is her conservatorship.  None of us knows anything really about it (nor should we) but it feels like DWTS is taking advantage.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

None of us knows anything really about it (nor should we) but it feels like DWTS is taking advantage.

Maybe, but let's face it...DWTS is nothing like what it used to be when Tom was the host. And unfortunately for most of us, when ABC brought in Tyra as Executive Producer & host, it became a whole 'nuther show.

That said, I don't mind Britney night. Things have recently changed for her...and perhaps for her fans, this will also be a celebration of her music, as well as her path to freedom.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2021 at 1:47 PM, boyznkatz said:

Yep, we thought it a strange choice, particularly with as many competitors as they have left (i.e. 14 songs by one artist). Wondering if Disney/ABC have a comeback special in the works that they’ll use this to promote?

They've had nights before that focused on one artist. There was Stevie Wonder night for example. There was also a half of a night (one round) with music by Michael Jackson. There may be others, but it isn't really a new idea. 

Britany's got some good music though and enough of a catalog to offer a night of dancing. Her issues with mental illness have been seen in other artists and should not preclude her music from being featured. Slave 4 U is the one that seems the most problematic though.  

I like Tyra as the host. She does a good job reeling everyone in and keeping it moving because it is a live show. Having the couple interviewed with the judges makes a lot more sense than having them run upstairs and answer Erin's questions while the scoring was formalized. It makes it go a lot faster, and I really don't like the before and after interviews that much. Tyra was a talk show host so she knows how to make awkward conversation and be engaging while watching the clock and staying on schedule. I think she's perfect for the job.

The BAG and Sharna pairing/ relationship is a little puzzling. She's such a good dancer, and BAG is extremely average-- plus, as a couple, she probably doesn't want to be hard on him and push him cuz that would affect their relationship. So instead, she's just going to sacrifice her own career for his ego. It's sort of sad in a way. She is SO GOOD that it would love to see her with a great partner.

Jenna comes off to me as super fake. She's always got that huge smile and she makes her eyes really wide, ALL THE TIME. She's an amazing contemporary dancer and I love watching her dance-- but she has absolutely no personality and I can't stand looking at her face. When she talks it's even worse. To me, I don't think she can stand JoJo, but knows that JoJo is her ticket to high rank and publicity as the first female couple so she tries her best to seem like she's loving every minute. 

Danilella has amazing hair. My husband asked if she had extensions, and I said I couldn't tell- probably, but whatever, cuz her hair is amazing. 

• Love 2