Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E02: First Elimination

• Start Topic

Iman was fine.  Martin is just sad.  Melora was good, but I just don’t feel much connection to her dancing.

Tyra looks absolutely ridiculous.  I wish someone would tell her that she is NOT the star of the show…come to think of it, she probably has been told, but her massive ego just won’t allow her to accept it.  She is still a beautiful woman, and even though she’s no longer her 1980s self, she could come out on stage elegantly dressed, walking normally (not as though the stage were her own personal catwalk), and not be such a joke.  What is her problem??

Edited by CraftyHazel
  • Love 14

That was a pretty strong rehearsal dance from Cheryl and Cody. Shame they weren't able to do it in the ballroom, but I'm glad they had something for the judges to see. Wishing Cheryl a speedy recovery, hopefully they can be back as soon as possible. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Yeah, they’ve been advertising aggressively in New York, and everything I’ve heard is that it’s at best a disappointing cash grab, if not an outright scam.

Yep! What makes it even more insulting in Cleveland at least, is we have one of the best art museums in the world. And the museum's massive amounts of regular exhibits are free. 

LOL! Len completely had a WTF face going on watching the rehearsal video. 

• Love 1

Aw, Mel C.'s dance was sweet and nice :). I liked the backdrop for their dance, too, really added to the prettiness of it all. 

ETA: Oh, wow, and a message from Ringo, too! That's cool. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 10

The more I see this red pill dress, the more I want to take a gun or a knife or an ice pick to it. Such a big ugly target would be hard to miss. This show is not Project Runway and we don’t need to see these bad creations. 

Amanda was my favorite. Bye Marty and BAG can go next. 

• Love 3

Cody will lose his shit during his Britney song. One of his tag lines is “What do we do when Britney comes on? We fuck shit up!” He loves Britney. Really loves Britney.

I would have loved to see that on the show because the rehearsal looked great.

• Love 5

If the first 3 judges are divided, then Len casts the deciding vote…. How is this even possible … can someone split their vote  so it is 1.5 votes for rach?

Edited by DEL901
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

How will Cody compete next week if he’s considered a close contact?

I’m assuming that after he clears a few negative tests, he’ll be assigned a temporary partner to practice with. 

• Love 2

Good God, that mauve/purple/red monstrosity was....a choice. Tyra really does think DWTS is her own personal fashion show/runway every week, doesn't she? Or she thinks she's the female version of Dr. Phil with all the "so how do you feeeeeel?" questions to every single celeb after every single dance. Shut up, Tyra. Why did you say that these were 'the first five dancers [safe]' if you were just going to name all of them? Lmao.

"Why don't you smile and show emotion?" / "Gymnastics taught me not to." That's so, so sad, and at the same time exactly what Simone tried to tell the show seven years ago :( Sasha is the perfect partner for Suni in so many ways.

I still have no idea who Pasha's partner is - Christine Chiu? - and her dance didn't do anything for me. Are they going for the everywoman angle for her now, what with her being a 'superfan' and all? Clearly I wasn't the only one who didn't know anything about her if she needed the judges' vote to save her against someone that got 3s and 4s.

It's good that Cody wasn't in the ballroom tonight; they made the best possible choice in a bad situation to not risk exposing an alternate dancer and base Cody/Cheryl's scores on their rehearsal footage. Methinks they'll do this dance later in the season for their redemption dance if they make it that far, or in a later show when they need to pad out some time. But considering they had a positive Covid test result in the first week of competition, I really don't think Tyra/the show should sound so nonchalant and cavalier sending JoJo and Jenna off post-dance off to the side section to "hang out with [your] competitors."

Now that Martin is eliminated, does that make Britt eligible to dance with Cody in place of Cheryl next week? Cheryl needs to quarantine for ten days.

It took me almost all of the night to realize who Melora Hardin reminded me of, looks-wise, and by the time her dance was over it hit me. Genie Francis from General Hospital.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

Has Tyra only had 1 glove this whole time? Even more stupid than the dress. 

Bye, Grandpa. 

No, I think she took one off because she couldn’t hold those results cards (aka do her job) with it on

Definitely a no brainer result.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

If the first 3 judges are divided, then Len casts the deciding vote…. How is this even possible … can someone split their vote  so it is 1.5 votes for rach?

So essentially his vote counts twice if there's a tie, I guess. (If the others are split 2-1, then Len either gets them to 3-1 or a 2-2 tie.)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, edie3 said:

Hasn't there been a couple judged before on their rehearsal video and not the live dance? 

Yeah, at least once. I forget who, or if it was illness or injury, but it's definitely happened.

• Love 4

This show is certainly better on fast forward, when I can pick and choose if I want to listen to segments/judges' remarks. All that really matters is the dance and the scoring.

Not surprised at Martin going, and I was not surprised at Christine being in the bottom 2. I think I said last week that Christine could be going earlier than expected because she's more forgettable, and this week's dance, and bottom 2 results, are kind of what I expected. I don't think Christine will be getting very far.

I'm glad they handled the Cody/Cheryl segment the way that they did. Showing their rehearsal footage (good thing they had all of that prepared), along with having both virtually come in for their scores was THE best way to handle it. Hopefully Cody continues to test negative this week. His dance footage with Cheryl, even it being taped last week when they were still practicing, was still actually fairly good. Carrie Ann can stuff it with her "I gotta judge FAIRLY". Yeah, CAI, like you always judge fairly.

Olivia is gonna be sticking around for a while, isn't she? Urg. But she isn't terrible, so it makes sense, I guess.

Suni wins for most improved. Sasha is brilliant with the gymnasts, and I really think he has a shot at the Mirror Ball. However, two celebs stand in his way: Amanda and Jojo. 

Both who did great work this week. 

The Miz did do fairly well, but has to learn to loosen up a bit. But Len's score for him? Totally undeserved. I don't mind if he gave him a 6...but a 5?!

Brian was terrible. He did absolutely nothing, Sharna twirled around him, there was no rumba in that dance, and somehow he got 6s. He should have gotten 5s, at best. I had a feeling their rumba wouldn't be as exciting as people were hyping it up to be.

Matt did worse this week. I wouldn't be mad if he's an early boot, but I think the Bachelor Nation, along with Lindsay's fans, will get them farther.

Mel C is doing so great, and Gleb? Well, he didn't butcher the choreography this week, so that's something. I'm so happy that she got a cameo from Ringo Starr himself.

Melora is still such a dark horse. I loved her dance this week. And Iman did better this week. He looks like he's really putting in the work, and it's paying off.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

What’s up with Len? He looked frail in that opening number but handing out crazy low scores is bizarre.

Len seemed extra Grumpy tonight.  Add me to the folks saying Tyra's "dress" was the ugliest thing ever!  It looked like she could hardly move in it.  I was charmed by Mel C's dance & her attitude & having Ringo Starr wish her Luck was super Cool!

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

It took me almost all of the night to realize who Melora Hardin reminded me of, looks-wise, and by the time her dance was over it hit me. Genie Francis from General Hospital.

Oh, my god, you're right, there is a strong resemblance. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, at least once. I forget who, or if it was illness or injury, but it's definitely happened.

During the Maks/Meryl season, Amy Purdy hurt herself in the group dance so they showed the dress rehearsal footage. 

I'm rooting for Sasha and Suni. But Amanda and JoJo did well. Jojo might want to cut back on the caffeine. 

Tyra's dress. I laughed so hard, and my mother kept saying, "That is stupid."

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

During the Maks/Meryl season, Amy Purdy hurt herself in the group dance so they showed the dress rehearsal footage. 

Didn’t the rule used to be you had to have done it in the ballroom though? I feel like I remember drama about that with that one housewife who had a stroke, she wanted to be judged on rehearsal footage and they wouldn’t let her because it was from Atlanta, and not on the stage.

Though that’s something I could see them changing because of Covid.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Melissa Rycroft in All Stars hurt her back and they judged her and Tony on some taped footage.  It wasn't even dress, just regular practice clothes.  I remember being really surprised that they would do that, but she was one of the favorites and I think it was just a spasm or something so she was okay the next day.

• Love 3

I don't look particularly look forward to rumbas done by male celebrities, especially early on in the season. They inevitably consist of a lot of posing or walking around while the female pros dance circles around them. Having said that, I appreciate that Jimmie executed some actual rumba content in his dance.

Kenya did not necessarily knock it out of the park tonight, but for me, I think she and Amanda are the most natural dancers in the competition. As I mentioned last week, I love her fluidity and groundedness. And I really like her and Brandon together.

JoJo obviously has great skill and performance ability, but I am glad Derek commented on her need to control her energy. I've actually found her a little wild and s******, and it's made even more obvious by Jenna dancing the same choreo right next to her.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 3

Oh, Tyra.  The 80’s want you to know that massive shoulder pads stopped being fashionable when we all stopped snorting coke. Worse yet, they were deliberately(?) asymmetrical. The left shoulder was max Dynasty Joan Collins and the right was max Chicago Bear linebacker.  Such. An. Ugly. Dress. 
Anyone think Olivia Jade should be dancing to “Row, Row, Row Your Boat”?

eta:  Holy crap. The second dress was even worse.  It was the NBC Peacock bathed in the blood of it’s enemies. 

Edited by Iguana
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 18
  • Love 1

There was a show on Netflix about kid ballroom dancers and in competitions there was a whole category with girl/girl partners, so I don't find this to be as life changing as they claim it to be.  I actually think having two women together makes for some really beautiful choreography, but I have one word to describe Jojo's dance style: Frenetic. In my opinion it is not enjoyable to watch at all.

I thought Christine was the worst on Bling Empire (Geez I watch too much TV!) and I can't get past that so I hope she goes soon.

I like Iman, I find The Mix to be cute as hell, I'm a fan of Cody and hope he goes far.

The women seem to be doing better by far in these early episodes. If this was about actual dancing ability, based on just the last 2 dances, I would like to see Amanda and Mel C in the top 3. I know that Jojo is guaranteed to make it to the end though, and I doubt 3 women will be the last ones standing, so it will be interesting to see which of the guys steps it up. 

• Love 3

It hurts my heart whenever I hear the sentence "All By Myself by Celine Dion".   It's Eric Carmen, dammit!  (With a bit of help from Sergei Rachmaninoff.) 

On a more positive note, it appears that Mel C has done the impossible and is making Gleb seem less icky.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 15

JoJo is good dance wise, but she is not meeting my high expectations. However, she is a radiant ball of sunshine. The matchy-matchy dresses worked nicely for Latin, but I really hope they switch it up in the future.

Olivia Jade's VW was beautiful. Who knew she had such capacity for hard work? 

Suni's movement is pretty, but she still looks nervous and uncomfortable to me. I don't care what gymnastics taught her about emoting. She needs to break through it. I don't watch the intro packages... is Sasha putting her in performance classes? That's what she needs and there are still virtual classes.

How tall is Amanda? When she did the twirl at the end, her legs were like a mile each.

This is a really hard season with a lot of very talented women. I have forgotten all of the men.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Iguana said:

eta:  Holy crap. The second dress was even worse.  It was the NBC Peacock bathed in the blood of it’s enemies. 

Thanks for making me laugh until I almost choked!

I have to believe that wardrobe detests her. I can't think of any other explanation for her wardrobe monstrosities. And is there no one with the guts to just pull her aside and go, "No, girl, just no!"

Though I guess I should thank her for providing me with more than few chuckled. Every time I saw her in the second dress, I flashed back to a scene on Friends with Ross acting out the screech of a dinosaur.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Sile said:

It hurts my heart whenever I hear the sentence "All By Myself by Celine Dion".   It's Eric Carmen, dammit!  (With a bit of help from Sergei Rachmaninoff.) 

It would have been okay if they'd played the Celine cover and we were hearing her voice but if it's just going to be the band, why the need to say Celine? It's so weird.

6 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

How tall is Amanda? When she did the twirl at the end, her legs were like a mile each.

She is between 5'8″ I believe. All Rockettes have to be between 5'6″ and 5'10 ½".

• Love 1

Do they really end up judging the dancers with a ton of experience more critically then the newer dancers? It seems like half the Celbs this season have enough dance back ground that they should be able to mop the floor with the others. 

I thought the Miz did a pretty good job for someone new to dancing altogehter. He is a good athlete and good with coreography. You could see him loosening up as the dance went along. His personality hasn't changed that much since the Real World. He was this weird mix of intense craziness (The Miz) and a more laid back dude who is fun to be around and interested in trying new things. He reminded me of the dorky younger brother who loved to wrestle on the Real World. 

• Love 4

Is this «Dancing with the Stars» or «Dancing with Tyra»? A host shouldn’t be needing that much attention. People who tune in want the focus to be on the contestants, not the host’s «fashion» show. Good Lord, I miss Tom.

• Love 6