Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Bread Week

• Start Topic

Just now, cynicat said:

Making a bread baby was bad enough.  Having it come from a German with a very strong accent took it to a whole different level of creepiness for me.

Perhaps it was a Dutch baby?

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Aulty said:

If I were a contestant on this show, I would've made this for the milkbread challenge (yes, I was born in the 80s and I had one):

glowoworm.JPG

That would have been awesome! What a great memory you have! 

2 hours ago, Aulty said:

If I were a contestant on this show, I would've made this for the milkbread challenge (yes, I was born in the 80s and I had one):

OK, I give.  Must have missed that one - what the heck is it?  

It would certain make a good milk dough challenge, so puffy!

• Love 1
On 10/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, Mabinogia said:

Did it to me too, but then I went and watched that baking impossible or whatever it is, that has Andrew as a judge, and not only did it have captions, it was dubbed in Russian for some reason. I think Netflix is having a midlife crisis or something. 

Yes!  It did that to me, too!

• Love 2

Sadly Rochica deserved to go home as her bakes showed less skill than the others. She wrote a lovely letter about her experience on the show,  made me tear up to read it.

I have said before that I just don't "get" Matt Lucas's brand of humor but Noel Fielding is funny to me.  I do blame the production for the almost mean-spiritedness and tone of the comedy bits now.  The throwing of the dough at Chrystelle is one example.  Also, Matt Lucas bringing Paul Hollywoods philandering into the show was in bad taste and inappropriate. I think Love Production may have always wanted this to be the tone of the show but when they were on the BBC it was discouraged. I have heard some stories that Mel and Sue would protect the bakers from the production taking advantage of their vulnerable moments and excessive emotional manipulation by "throwing" the takes.

I fear Maggie may be soon out because Paul Hollywood is critical of her "simplicity".

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Also, Matt Lucas bringing Paul Hollywoods philandering into the show was in bad taste and inappropriate.

LOL, goes to show me how little I'm paying attention to anything Matt says. Miss that completely. 

Somewhere, Mary Berry is smiling and putting together a nice pudding.

• Love 9
On 10/8/2021 at 10:10 PM, Spunkygal said:

Matt brings out the worst in Noel. They are beyond stupid this season and I hate them.

This show would be so much better if there was a lot more Chigs and much less Matt. Noel wasn’t so bad before Matt came along, but the two of them together are like mean-spirited class clowns. 

• Love 13

Agree that Noel and Matt just keep getting worse in each episode and I’m not a fan of the inappropriate jokes at all. Each one needs a straight man—they don’t work well together as a duo. Freya’s vocal fry is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I had no idea that there were Brits with that affectation. Right now, I’d be happy with Jurgen or Giuseppe for the win. Still waiting for that “come from behind candidate” to appear.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Yokosmom said:

Each one needs a straight man—they don’t work well together as a duo.

That's what it is. Neither is willing to play straight man so they give off a more attention seeking, desperate vibe rather than the corny, easy going vibe Mel and Sue had (and granted, they'd had years of working together to find their balance). 

I remember Mel and Sue being pretty raunchy with some jokes but it somehow felt more natural. With these two clowns I feel like they drop their punchline and wait for applause. There are a few moments with bakers that do feel more organic, so I think they are capable of it, but then it goes away and they force another joke and I lose all hope that they will improve.

8 minutes ago, Yokosmom said:

Freya’s vocal fry is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Same, which is disappointing because I actually like the stuff she's baking but I selfishly want her gone so I don't have to hear that anymore. Interestingly, I hadn't noticed Rochica's horrible drawn out affectation until this ep, so I am selfishly glad she left. 

Hmm, maybe I would be better off listening to this in Russian like Netflix tried to make me do. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/8/2021 at 3:17 PM, BradyB66 said:

Reminds me of the champion from my favorite season.  Nadiya tanked on technicals in the beginning and then all of a sudden turned it around and became a juggernaut.

I thought Giuseppe's response to the handshake was so sweet, actually tearing up.  Loving him.  

I really don't dislike any of the contestants, but man, there are a lot of inherently whiny sounding accents among the females.  Freya and Lizzie definitely, but even Rochica a bit.

I have to use closed captioning.  I can't understand half of what Freya says.

• Love 1

I'm kind of enjoying all of the accents this year--although I do have to put captions on. I like Freya except for her vocal fry. Lizzie is fun to listen to --I like to see how much I can understand without captions.

Maybe I'm strange, but I like slightly overdone ("ooverdone" in Paul's accent) focaccia. If it is too soft and spongy it is unappetizing to me.

Also, if they wanted a loaf as part of the showstopper display, the should've said so--the viewers do not know what was written in the brief (if it was)--they could've asked for a highly decorative loaf included in the sculpture or a "substantial" piece.

• Love 2

I don't pay much attention to Noel or Matt.  They seem to be beloved by the contestants and that's what really matters.  While they are all stuck living together, they are probably getting pretty close to one another.

Neither of them has ever broken a contestant's bakes and Sue did that repeatedly.  That's much worse than a joke going badly in my book.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I have close captioning on for all British shows.  I was aghast when Noel threw the lump of dough at Crystelle.  He and Matt need to go now.  The show needs only one host, one who isn't a comedian and can be nice yet humorous.  Like Mel and Sue but one person.  Guiseppie will be in the final 3.  I remember Paul saying everyone who won bread week made it into the final except for Tom, who did some bread monstrosity about Thor's hammer, won the bread challenge, then got booted.  I mute whenever Noel or Matt open their mouth.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Guiseppie will be in the final 3.  I remember Paul saying everyone who won bread week made it into the final except for Tom, who did some bread monstrosity about Thor's hammer, won the bread challenge, then got booted.

I think Giuseppe has a good chance at the final 3 but if I'm reading Wikipedia right, Tom, Julia, Michael and Marc all won bread week and did not make the final.

On 10/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, magdalene said:

I have said before that I just don't "get" Matt Lucas's brand of humor but Noel Fielding is funny to me.  I do blame the production for the almost mean-spiritedness and tone of the comedy bits now.  The throwing of the dough at Chrystelle is one example.  Also, Matt Lucas bringing Paul Hollywoods philandering into the show was in bad taste and inappropriate. I think Love Production may have always wanted this to be the tone of the show but when they were on the BBC it was discouraged. I have heard some stories that Mel and Sue would protect the bakers from the production taking advantage of their vulnerable moments and excessive emotional manipulation by "throwing" the takes.

I was wondering if Matt was hoping to be let go with all his inference about not wanting to be in the tent and how he used to be in movies and now he's reduced to this. I'm feeling like "don't let the door hit you on your way out."

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, GallwayGirl said:

I was wondering if Matt was hoping to be let go with all his inference about not wanting to be in the tent and how he used to be in movies and now he's reduced to this. I'm feeling like "don't let the door hit you on your way out."

Given how long of a career Matt has been able to build as 'Creepy British guy," I would assume he is professional enough to fulfill his end of his contract and not egg the producers to fire him.  He probably needs the show more than the show needs him.  

• Love 6

The show needs only one host, one who isn't a comedian and can be nice yet humorous.  Like Mel and Sue but one person.

I don't mind how the show is now, but having one host who isn't grasping for laughs all the time would be nice. For my money, the ideal would be a former contestant, somebody personable who would be confident introducing challenges and interviewing the bakers but not an oversized personality. I don't remember the previous seasons well enough to have an opinion about who that should be, but there have been some lovely contestants over the years!

• Love 7
1 minute ago, rejnel said:

I don't mind how the show is now, but having one host who isn't grasping for laughs all the time would be nice. For my money, the ideal would be a former contestant, somebody personable who would be confident introducing challenges and interviewing the bakers but not an oversized personality. I don't remember the previous seasons well enough to have an opinion about who that should be, but there have been some lovely contestants over the years!

Andrew who was a finalist in 2016 is a judge on Netflix Baking Impossible and is so charming and knowledgeable. Maybe someone like him? 

• Love 10

I like Noel actually. He is good at bring the best of out of the contestants when he is just talking to them. It's when he "tries" to be funny when it's annoying. And I also didn't like him throwing the dough.

Matt I was hoping would grow on me, but he has yet too. And as other people have said he brings out the worse of Noel. 

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, rejnel said:

I don't mind how the show is now, but having one host who isn't grasping for laughs all the time would be nice. For my money, the ideal would be a former contestant, somebody personable who would be confident introducing challenges and interviewing the bakers but not an oversized personality.

That's an excellent idea!  And having been a contestant, they would be less likely to be intrusive at critical moments and supportive during meltdowns.  That's the kind of thing I like to see - otherwise it's just another Food Network level competition.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, rejnel said:

Last season I posted this: I think Henry would make a great host, humorous, quick on his feet with comebacks and understands baking. Pair him up with someone like Ruby Bhogal or Liam and it might work.

And of course they have now hired Liam for other shows. Either Henry or Ruby or both would be great I think.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, rejnel said:

I fondly remember James Morton,  the doctor student from Shetland. He might make a lovely host.   If he had the time to do this hosting.  I understand he is a working doctor now. And Selasi. I can imagine him as a host too. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Last season I posted this: I think Henry would make a great host, humorous, quick on his feet with comebacks and understands baking. Pair him up with someone like Ruby Bhogal or Liam and it might work.

And of course they have now hired Liam for other shows. Either Henry or Ruby or both would be great I think.

Liam is a silly, inane host on Bake Off The Professionals. I was surprised at how ridiculous he is. He co hosts with someone named Tom who is familiar to British viewers. This duo almost ruins that charming show. They are so intrusive and are just plain crackers, not in an amusing way. Ask @TVbitch if you don’t believe me! 

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I don't mind the idea of a former contestant as host, but not Henry.  He was funny at first during his season, but after awhile, he was very wearing to me,  trying too hard for a laugh.  Why does the host have to be funny?  Just talk with the contestants.  The show is about the contestants, NOT the hosts and how funny they are.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Liam is a silly, inane host on Bake Off The Professionals. I was surprised at how ridiculous he is. He co hosts with someone named Tom who is familiar to British viewers. This duo almost ruins that charming show.

Tom Allen (he also co-hosts Extra Slice) and Liam are TERRIBLE hosts and one of the reasons why I stopped watching Professional Bake Off (and Extra Slice).
I don't understand why Channel 4 hired a juvenile amateur baker with no relevant TV experience to host a show about professional patisserie. They probably wanted him to be 'their' Nadiya (Nadiya was on GBBO when it was still on the BBC and now does very charming cooking and baking shows there). I've seen both on other programmes and quiz shows: Tom is a bit hit and miss, but he has his moments; Liam was a mildly entertaining contestant, but as a TV personality he just doesn't work.

I don't think GBBO should be hosted by a former contestant.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 5

As much as I hated "The Great American Baking Show" - Jeff Foxworthy was a charming host.  Just aw, shucks and homespun enough with gentle humor.  And he kept a fork in his pocket so he could try the contestant's bakes.  I loved Noel when he was with Sandy (except the short jokes, which got old).  But Matt seems to have written his jokes beforehand, shoves them in wherever, then waits for a laugh.  Tom Allen was the same on Extra Slice.  It's so much more charming if it's just a natural reaction to interactions with the baker.

I want Freya to stay around because she's an interesting and talented baker, but if she could never, ever, ever say cappuccinaaaaaeh again, I'd appreciate it.  She, Lizzie, and Rochica all have a tendency of dragging out the final syllable of every word in this flat way that grates on my ears.  

Did anyone else catch them saying that Chiggs is forty!?  Wow, I would have said thirty, maybe.

Edited by BradyB66
  • Love 5
On 10/8/2021 at 5:46 PM, SnapHappy said:

I need Lizzie and Freya to GO.NOW.   I have to mute my TV when both are on, so sadly I miss some things.  But my ears practically bleed listening to them, Rochica too.  I'm so thankful for the captions and that Rochica is gone.  Plus, they all come off with a don't-really-give-a-shit attitude.  And Lizzie & Freya say they hate bread.  WTF?  Did they think this competition was all cookies & muffins?  I  hate that Lizzie is doing well.   I'm just glad Maggie was spared.

I like Rochica, but maybe her attitude comes from the stress of the tent.  Like, she's already given up.

Yes! to everything about Lizzie and Freya.  Freya's scouse accent is particularly grating.  Never say cappuccino again. 

Lizzie hates to do anything out of her comfort zone.  And she's so whiny about doing any work in the tent.  Go home and just watch Harry Potter all day.

I really like Maggie and hate that she'll leave the tent before Lizzie and Freya do.

-----------

I like this group of bakers.  Giuseppe, Maggie, Rochica and Jurgen are endearing.  Last season, I didn't care who won; a mediocre and forgettable group.

I would be happy for Giuseppe or Jurgen to win.

Edited by spaulding
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2021 at 10:11 PM, caitmcg said:

I’m quite sure they receive more substantial instructions for the signature and showstopper challenges than the few words we hear at the beginning, since it will have been laid out in advance so they can come up with what they’ll do and practice. I think in most competition cooking shows, there’s more spelled out than what we see on camera, even if the editing doesn’t reflect it. That said, we have no way of knowing whether Rochica didn’t quite meet the specifics as laid out by the producers, or just didn’t satisfy whatever best floated Paul's boat.

Absolutely right.  It's just like the challenges on Survivor, Amazing Race, and other cooking, crafting & decorating shows.  They do a lot more explaining and do dry runs that never make it to the edited versions.  Contestants also get to ask questions & clarify things. 

But those shows would run 2-3 hours, not the carefully edited 42 or so minutes we see.   

3 hours ago, BradyB66 said:

But Matt seems to have written his jokes beforehand, shoves them in wherever, then waits for a laugh. 

Like last season when he kept shoving his sexual orientation into casual commentary and completely unrelated baking situations.  So creepy and not even appropriate.  I didn't like him before that, but grew to loathe him after.  Still loathing.  Actively. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Andrew who was a finalist in 2016 is a judge on Netflix Baking Impossible and is so charming and knowledgeable. Maybe someone like him? 

OMG you are my new favorite person.  I knew I knew him from somewhere!

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, spaulding said:

Freya's scouse accent is particularly grating.  Never say cappuccino again. 

Lizzie is the one with a scouse (Liverpool) accent. I find it kind of amusing to listen to her (with CC of course). And I don't hear the vocal fry with Freya that everyone's complaining about. I quite like her, and that she just "deals with" being vegan without bitching about it. And she's doing pretty well!

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Lizzie is the one with a scouse (Liverpool) accent. I find it kind of amusing to listen to her (with CC of course). And I don't hear the vocal fry with Freya that everyone's complaining about. I quite like her, and that she just "deals with" being vegan without bitching about it. And she's doing pretty well!

Thanks for the correction.  Lizze's accent isn't too grating. 

Freya's speech pattern and accent are like nails on a chalk board.  She starts to speak, gets tired, and the word falls off the cliff.

Edited by spaulding
correction
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Like last season when he kept shoving his sexual orientation into casual commentary and completely unrelated baking situations.  So creepy and not even appropriate.  I didn't like him before that, but grew to loathe him after.  Still loathing.  Actively.

Last season was unmemorable, so I don't recall Matt Lucas shoving his sexual orientation into casual commentary.  

I cannot like him.  He's not funny, and Noel becomes worst when they team together for an unfunny bit.  (Noel is funny and charming when he interacts with the bakers.)  You can also tell that he grates on Paul's last nerve.

I actively disliked him when he guest-starred on Community, my favorite show of all time.  I hated his character.

• Love 2

If I recall, the thing that bothered me most about Matt mentioning his sexual orientation was that it came off in an explaining-the-joke kind of way.

If I had to pick a previous contestant to host, Lottie from last year (?) comes to mind. She seems like the right amount of witty for me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

If I had to pick a previous contestant to host, Lottie from last year (?) comes to mind. She seems like the right amount of witty for me.

Lottie was great, and she's very good on social media. She made an Instagram post today that said something like, "it's Dessert Week. What's the definition of a dessert? I have no idea."

Her or Ruby Bhogal would be great hosts to partner with Noel. Both were naturals in front of the camera and genuinely funny. I don't mind Matt Lucas on the show, and really don't get the obsession with everything he says and does on the show, but I wouldn't miss him much if he left. His whole career has fallen between 'not funny' and 'okay, that was kind of amusing' for me.

• Love 5
On 10/11/2021 at 7:22 PM, rejnel said:

Lottie from last season all the credentials.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

How many thirtysomethings have gray hair?

Not so few that that Chigs being in his 30s would have been shocking to me. (Although I wouldn't have guessed he was that young.) He's got less gray hair than my sister did at 30 and about what my thirtysomething husband has.

• Love 4
On 10/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, Aulty said:

glowoworm.JPG

Thank you for bringing back memories for me! I had one and loved it and bought a modern updated one for my daughter but she never got attached to it like I did mine. And yes that would be perfect for the milk bread challenge.

• Love 1

I was laughing out loud at everyone's reaction to Jurgen explaining his baby bread (during the preparation time, not at judging).  Loved the quips!

Again this year, I am enjoying everything about this wonderful show.  I have watched from the beginning (in US, so not the very beginning) and have enjoyed the various hosts and judges (Mary Berry is a treasure!) and what they bring to the program.  I think we all have our favorites and others will not live up to them, in our eyes.  

Each year, it is so much fun to get to know the contestants and so very hard to see them leave the tent.  This year, as per usual, I am enjoying the diversity and the accents (closed captioning is a must for me!).  It's just a lovely show and I'm a big fan.

• Love 14
38 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

It's just a lovely show

That's exactly the way I describe to my friends who don't watch.  I just love the overall tone of civility in a competitive situation.  No backstabbing, no petty bullshit.  Just competitors in a tent, wishing each other well, congratulating each other on little victories and commiserating on kitchen disasters.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 11
On 10/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, sugarbaker design said:

He has gray hair!  How many thirtysomethings have gray hair?

The seven children in my family.  I started coloring my hair at 24.  My brothers were all completely gray by the time they turned 30.  And yet, they didn't look older than their age.

• Love 7